PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ Miami Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

sagegrouse
02-15-2010, 09:17 AM
The Devils travel to Miami for a game Wednesday night. Miami has lost only one game at home all year (3-1 in the ACC) and finishes its schedule with four home games in the last five ACC games.

Here are a couple of questions to ponder:

1. Was Zoubs' performance against the Terps a one-time wonder? The 'Canes, like Maryland, also seem also seem to be a smaller, perimeter-oriented team.

2. Can Duke gain a shooting touch on the road?

3. Will the Devils suffer a letdown after emotional wins against rival #1 and not-a-rival #1?

sagegrouse
'I wish I were going to the game. I always have breakfast at the News Cafe on Ocean Ave. in Miami Beach'

PumpkinFunk
02-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't see a lot of huge issues for us against Miami. They're 3-1 at home but 0-6 on the road, and they've also barely eked out wins at home over Wake, VTech, and GT with a bad, bad loss to Boston College. With that being said, Miami needs a marquee win to have a shot at the NCAAs... this is it for them. We need a big game from our big men to ease it up for the rest of our team, though I still don't think Miami has the players to keep up with us.

CDu
02-15-2010, 09:33 AM
The Canes do have a very talented (but very inconsistent) big man in Dwayne Collins. When Collins shows up (as he has a couple of times against Duke), he can be an absolute force with his combination of strength and athleticism. But he can also be a complete non-factor at times. I think a big part of the reason for his inconsistency is that Miami never seems consistently interested in getting him the ball. Their guards are not terribly good.

moonpie23
02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
and not-a-rival #1?

please forgive me as i have somehow managed to overlook this MOST AWESOMEST of AWESOME phrase for our turtle friends...

thank you for bringing that to my attention.;);)

MChambers
02-15-2010, 09:37 AM
1. Was Zoubs' performance against the Terps a one-time wonder? The 'Canes, like Maryland, also seem also seem to be a smaller, perimeter-oriented team.

2. Can Duke gain a shooting touch on the road?
If Zoubs can continue the level of play he displayed Saturday, but we don't have a shooting touch, Zoubs could reach the 20 rebound level. I'd rather see a better shooting touch, however.

Neals384
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I'll be watching for Reggie Johnson, 6'9" 295 lb frosh. He's only averaging 12 minutes off the bench, but he seems to be coming along, especially in recent home games:

15 pts 9 rb in 23 min vs BC
7 pts 4 rb in 13 min vs VT
10 pts 7 rb in 16 min vs GT

Looks like he does most of his scoring from the stripe, where he shoots 77%. Our bigs will need to be disciplined when he's in the game.

According to the AP, Miami has had low attendance. I'll be surprised if they don't fill the house for Duke. For the GT game:

"Announced attendance was 4,319, but the crowd numbered less than 500, pep band included, when the Hurricanes took the court a few minutes before tip-off."

davekay1971
02-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Just another day for Duke on the road in the ACC: it's the Super Bowl for our opponent and their fans; it's a must-win game for our opponent's NCAA tournament chances; they're going to be amped up, etc etc etc.

Same old story for our guys - bring the defensive intensity, make some clutch plays, get out with a win.

Would love to see Zoubs post another double-double, but for me the most important player to see continuing to develop is Mason. I hope he continues to build on the kind of play we're starting to see from him. Of course, if Zoubs turns what happened against Maryland into a career-changing moment that launches him to the next level 2/3 of the way through his senior season...well, that would be nice, too! In fact, if Zoubs doesn't give us a double-double every game from now through the national championship game, I'm going to be disappointed in him.

That's right, Z. You showed us the potential...now you've raised the bar. Dominate, big man. Dominate. :D

ChicagoCrazy84
02-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I'll be watching for Reggie Johnson, 6'9" 295 lb frosh. He's only averaging 12 minutes off the bench, but he seems to be coming along, especially in recent home games:

15 pts 9 rb in 23 min vs BC
7 pts 4 rb in 13 min vs VT
10 pts 7 rb in 16 min vs GT

Looks like he does most of his scoring from the stripe, where he shoots 77%. Our bigs will need to be disciplined when he's in the game.

According to the AP, Miami has had low attendance. I'll be surprised if they don't fill the house for Duke. For the GT game:

"Announced attendance was 4,319, but the crowd numbered less than 500, pep band included, when the Hurricanes took the court a few minutes before tip-off."

295??? My gosh, that is a big boy. I can see why he only gets 12 minutes.

Indoor66
02-15-2010, 10:16 AM
295??? My gosh, that is a big boy. I can see why he only gets 12 minutes.

Yeah. To keep in shape for BB he plays DE on the football team. :eek: :D

sandinmyshoes
02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
The only thing that scares me about this game is that I can't think of much that scares me.

pfrduke
02-15-2010, 11:42 AM
The only thing that scares me about this game is that I can't think of much that scares me.

James Dews, Malcolm Grant, and Adrian Thomas getting hot from 3. Each shoots 41% or better from downtown (numbers that have been somewhat boosted by their cupcake non-con schedule), and we've been a little lucky so far in terms of holding teams to ridiculously low percentages from outside. A team is due to get hot from outside against us, and if it's Miami, it could spell trouble.

sagegrouse
02-15-2010, 04:37 PM

(a) Miami's home record is excellent with wins over Wake, GT and VT and only one loss.

(b) Foul trouble on one of the big three could give us fits.

(c) We will need to have some scoring punch inside, unless we unexpectedly find our outside shot on the road. And who the heck can predict what will happen on offense with Zoubs, Lance, or Los Plum Locos?

sagegrouse

jv001
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Some thought about the upcoming game against the Hurricanes:
1. Zoubs to play well and not get into foul trouble. I feel if he does the latter, he will play well. Maybe not a double-double, but a good solid defensive game with some offensive rebounds.
2. Jon to continue his solid play and get his 20-25 pts in this game. He is just so consistent that I some time take him for granted.
3. I like how Nolan dished the ball last game. He needs to continue that trend and make us a better team going forward.
4. Mason continue to build on this his freshman year. Playing against a smaller team may help his inside play.
5. Stay with their perimeter guys. Don't let them have open 3s. They can hit them.
I look for a close game up to half time and Duke to win by 14pts. Go Duke!

BleedsP287
02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I look for Duke's big to play well again and we win. I think Zoubek gets the start (how could he not?), and if he can maintain some confidence (I'm looking at you, refs) he has another good game. I don't expect a repeat of last game's career effort, but a more solid performance than average for him.

And I honestly believe our other bigs are going to be inspired by his play and step up themselves. This team is really coming together. Looking ahead it's conceivable would could win-out the regular season.

At Maryland is my biggest worry. At Virginia next, they are talented, well coached, may be playing us with a winning record in the ACC for a change, and trying to get in the bubble, and they are pissed at having a good start falter. At Miami, I'm very optimistic. Go Duke.

Newton_14
02-15-2010, 07:38 PM
We should take nothing for granted. The last 2 times we played Miami we were extremely fortunate to eke out 1 win in the 2 games. We were blown out in Miami 2 years ago before rallying late to cut it from 20 to 3. Last year we were down 16 at home and had to go to overtime to win. Our guys have still not played a good offensive game on the road yet.

Given all that I hesitate to predict any kind of easy win for our guys. I know we can win and hopefully this is a game where we finally put it all together in a road game. But every road game in the league this year is dangerous.

Our guys need to come out focused, play defense at the level we have been playing and move, cut, and shoot well on offense. They can get it done but will need to be on top of their game.

-jk
02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Indeed. As. I recall, our last "easy" game was at State. We can't afford to think of any game as easy.

-jk

loldevilz
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I would really love to see Duke win out to get the #1 seed. That means we will need to beat Miami. I was at the game last year and it was one of the toughest games of the year. I think they have lost their best player who couldn't miss a shot in the second half last year in their overtime loss. Still they are a very dangerous team especially at home, and they will be hungry to get a signature win.

G man
02-15-2010, 08:43 PM
these are the games that make me nervous. I hate being favored. I hope we have the gas on the peddle from the get go!

pfrduke
02-15-2010, 08:53 PM
these are the games that make me nervous. I hate being favored. I hope we have the gas on the peddle from the get go!

You do realize we're favored in ~90-95% of the games we play, right?

Saratoga2
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Just another day for Duke on the road in the ACC: it's the Super Bowl for our opponent and their fans; it's a must-win game for our opponent's NCAA tournament chances; they're going to be amped up, etc etc etc.

Same old story for our guys - bring the defensive intensity, make some clutch plays, get out with a win.

Would love to see Zoubs post another double-double, but for me the most important player to see continuing to develop is Mason. I hope he continues to build on the kind of play we're starting to see from him. Of course, if Zoubs turns what happened against Maryland into a career-changing moment that launches him to the next level 2/3 of the way through his senior season...well, that would be nice, too! In fact, if Zoubs doesn't give us a double-double every game from now through the national championship game, I'm going to be disappointed in him.

That's right, Z. You showed us the potential...now you've raised the bar. Dominate, big man. Dominate. :D

He needs to play hard for his entire stint in the game. I didn't like to see him jog back on defense.

G man
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
You do realize we're favored in ~90-95% of the games we play, right?

It is a tough world we live in

mo.st.dukie
02-16-2010, 12:34 AM
We should take nothing for granted. The last 2 times we played Miami we were extremely fortunate to eke out 1 win in the 2 games. We were blown out in Miami 2 years ago before rallying late to cut it from 20 to 3. Last year we were down 16 at home and had to go to overtime to win. Our guys have still not played a good offensive game on the road yet.

Given all that I hesitate to predict any kind of easy win for our guys. .

Yeah, they have given us fits the last few years but you have to factor in no Jack McClinton and Duke has big guys to matchup with Collins and the other Miami bigs. Regardless, it will still be tough to get a win as all conference road games are.

Kewlswim
02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Yeah, they have given us fits the last few years but you have to factor in no Jack McClinton and Duke has big guys to matchup with Collins and the other Miami bigs. Regardless, it will still be tough to get a win as all conference road games are.

Hi,

I understand your and others trepidation. However, unlike Duke teams of the recent past we are better now than we were at the beginning of the year. We are starting to go towards a peak rather having peaked. Yes, Duke might lose, but I feel we are starting to play our best ball and that will make the Devils really hard to beat. No woof intended, so woof Gods please realize I respect all opponents.

GO DUKE!!

Bob Green
02-16-2010, 03:20 AM
We should take nothing for granted.

Those are some wise words!

Regardless, it will still be tough to get a win as all conference road games are.

I agree. Winning on the road is tough. However, the ability to win on the road separates really good teams from good teams. Duke is 3-2, in conference games, on the road, so we need to build off the road wins at Clemson, at Carolina and at Boston College. I expect this will be a tough game so our Blue Devils need to roll up their sleeves, go to work, and prove we are a really good team via a blue collar victory.

Yes, Duke might lose, but I feel we are starting to play our best ball and that will make the Devils really hard to beat.

Miami leads the ACC in 3-point field goals made with 197 in 25 games. Malcolm Grant (.435) and Adrian Thomas (.426) are second and third in the conference in 3-point field goal percentage. The Hurricanes are third in the conference in overall field goal percentage at .465. We will have to play better defense than we did at N.C. State and at Georgetown. State shot 58.2 percent from the field and 41.7 percent (5-12) on 3-pointers. Georgetown hit a smoking hot 71.7 percent of their field goal attempts and 46.2 percent (6-13) on 3-pointers. Georgetown is a bad example as this post is really about conference play plus we simply ran into a buzz saw at Georgetown.

Back to Miami - I haven't mentioned Miami's leading scorer or leading rebounder. James Dews scores 12.1 points per game, while Dwayne Collins averages 8.1 rebounds per game with 3 coming on the offensive glass. He is also the Hurricanes' second leading scorer at 11.6 per game. We must be strong on the glass in Coral Gables.

I'm confident we will win the game as I agree with Kewlswim that we are working toward a peak and have yet to play our best basketball. However, this will be a hard fought victory so we need all our players focused on the task at hand and playing up to their own high standards.

superdave
02-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm confident we will win the game as I agree with Kewlswim that we are working toward a peak and have yet to play our best basketball. However, this will be a hard fought victory so we need all our players focused on the task at hand and playing up to their own high standards.

So what is working towards a peak for us? Big guys carrying more scoring load and us shooting well (better?) on the road?

I'd also throw out there "TCB". We need to develop more of a killer instinct. It'd be nice to jump on a team, knock them out of the game, then never let them back into it. We have not really done that in ACC play that I can recall.

So...
1- More Balanced Scoring
2- Better Road FG %
3- TCB.

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
When we started this season, I was hoping that we could get a double-double per night from Z and LT, plus another double-double from Plumlees/Kelly. Those guys have played right at or slightly above that recently. The explosion from Z vs MD game the Z/LT combo a 20/20 night while MPs/RK gave us a 11/8 performance. Together the 5some went for 31/28 with 4 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals; that's some amazing productivity from the frontcourt. Truth be told, we've gotten production from that 5some that borders on that level with (to me) surprising regularity, or maybe better put, not as rarely as I thought (Wake Forest comes to mind). We are going to be nearly impossible to stop if we get that production in that neighborhood from those 5 guys.
With that in mind, vs Miami we don't need any one of those guys to have a game like Z did vs MD, although that would be sweet, but if those guys, as a group, play to that level we'll win easily.

Kedsy
02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
It'd be nice to jump on a team, knock them out of the game, then never let them back into it. We have not really done that in ACC play that I can recall.

Do you recall the Maryland game, three days ago? Or any other home game for that matter? We've won our home ACC games by 21, 20, 20, 14, 19, and 21 points. How much more of a knockout do you want?

Kedsy
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
With that in mind, vs Miami we don't need any one of those guys to have a game like Z did vs MD, although that would be sweet, but if those guys, as a group, play to that level we'll win easily.

I agree it's nice when the big guys score, but in my mind, unless the three S's totally collapse or we stop rebounding entirely, whether we win or lose any particular game is almost exclusively dependent on our defense, especially on the road.

jv001
02-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree it's nice when the big guys score, but in my mind, unless the three S's totally collapse or we stop rebounding entirely, whether we win or lose any particular game is almost exclusively dependent on our defense, especially on the road.

and you now say. Just look at the NC State and G-town games. Defense really let us down. Duke must bring the intensity every game. We don't have the super team that can coast. Unless we get a very bad match up I don't think that will happen again and I don't think Miami is that match-up problem. Go Duke!

DukieInBrasil
02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree with you Kedsy about D being our calling card and what will determine whether we win or lose most games. G'town? D was terrible. NCSU? Terrivel (that's portuguese, but when said w/the right intonation means something more) GT I? Kind of a wash, mediocre D and poor offensive execution. Wisc.? Ditto. Vs. G'town and NCSU, our offense was good enough to have won if our D had kept the opponent to our season average. So in our 4 losses we have a draw, between terrible D causing 2 losses and mediocre D mixed with mediocre O being the source of losses.
My point in the quote that you highlighted had more to do with winning easily rather than just winning. A road win in conference is gold no matter if it is easy or close, bragging rights indicate that you (the royal you, in this case, me) want to win easily. That's all. However, if those 5 play at that level, in the 25+ rebound area, that is a pretty good indicator of good D, which we both agree will be necessary to win.

Kedsy
02-16-2010, 11:35 AM
I agree with you Kedsy about D being our calling card and what will determine whether we win or lose most games. G'town? D was terrible. NCSU? Terrivel (that's portuguese, but when said w/the right intonation means something more) GT I? Kind of a wash, mediocre D and poor offensive execution. Wisc.? Ditto. Vs. G'town and NCSU, our offense was good enough to have won if our D had kept the opponent to our season average. So in our 4 losses we have a draw, between terrible D causing 2 losses and mediocre D mixed with mediocre O being the source of losses.
My point in the quote that you highlighted had more to do with winning easily rather than just winning. A road win in conference is gold no matter if it is easy or close, bragging rights indicate that you (the royal you, in this case, me) want to win easily. That's all. However, if those 5 play at that level, in the 25+ rebound area, that is a pretty good indicator of good D, which we both agree will be necessary to win.

OK. Personally I think our defense was very poor against Wisconsin as well, but it's a minor quibble. I'm not so concerned about winning easily, as long as we win.

I also think our defense feeds our offense. Not necessarily in the direct sense (turnovers leading to fast break points), but rather in the sense that when the defense is regularly failing to stop the opponent our individual players seem desperate to take the game over, or try to stem the other team's momentum with a big three, with the result being they seem less likely to play good team offense and more likely to take poor shots and/or get too tight and just miss a lot. Conversely, if the defense is shutting down the opponent, the players play with more confidence and feel less pressure. They play better team offense, share the ball more and take better shots, and shoot more smoothly, with better success.

snowdenscold
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Last year we were down 16 at home and had to go to overtime to win.

Was that the game McClinton hit a ridiculous 3-pointer at the buzzer? Or was that two years ago...

mgtr
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd also throw out there "TCB". We need to develop more of a killer instinct.

I think we more "TZP" (Thomas, Zoubek, Plumlee)! Actually, we have seen games when each of them stepped up, and it was wonderful to see. Particularly since Thomas and Zoubek are both seniors. I think that if one or more of these guys has a big game, it will be easier for the S boys to score.

Bob Green
02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
So what is working towards a peak for us?

First and foremost is the ability to play five on five basketball on both ends of the court. When Zoubek has a game like he did against Maryland or the Plumlee brothers play like they did against Wake Forest we have the ability to be a dominant team. Lance Thomas making the 15 foot jump shot is huge for the offense. Consistency is what we are still working toward.

In regard to shooting on the road, in three road victories we have shot 37.5 percent on 3-point field goals (18-48). In the two road loses, we shot 26.8 percent (11-41). That is a delta of over 10 percentage points. We need to knockdown the long ball at Miami, at Virginia, and at Maryland.

superdave
02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Do you recall the Maryland game, three days ago? Or any other home game for that matter? We've won our home ACC games by 21, 20, 20, 14, 19, and 21 points. How much more of a knockout do you want?

Didnt Maryland cut the lead to 10 in the 2nd half though?

I think we've responded well when teams have scrapped their way back into a game, but it's always nice to have the Big 3 cheering from the bench more.

Super "Memories of Kenutcky 1998 and UConn 2004 fresh in my head" Dave

Kedsy
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Didnt Maryland cut the lead to 10 in the 2nd half though?

I think we've responded well when teams have scrapped their way back into a game, but it's always nice to have the Big 3 cheering from the bench more.

Super "Memories of Kenutcky 1998 and UConn 2004 fresh in my head" Dave

They never got it into single digits and after Maryland scored 10 in a row to get it down to 10, Duke scored the next 9 points. In the 7 minutes and 25 seconds that followed, Duke only allowed Maryland to score a total of 3 points (and if that's not "killer instinct," I'm not sure what is). It was as much of a knockout as you can expect against an upper-tier ACC team.

DukeAppWV
02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Those are some wise words!

I agree. Winning on the road is tough. However, the ability to win on the road separates really good teams from good teams. Duke is 3-2, in conference games, on the road, so we need to build off the road wins at Clemson, at Carolina and at Boston College. I expect this will be a tough game so our Blue Devils need to roll up their sleeves, go to work, and prove we are a really good team via a blue collar victory.

Miami leads the ACC in 3-point field goals made with 197 in 25 games. Malcolm Grant (.435) and Adrian Thomas (.426) are second and third in the conference in 3-point field goal percentage. The Hurricanes are third in the conference in overall field goal percentage at .465. We will have to play better defense than we did at N.C. State and at Georgetown. State shot 58.2 percent from the field and 41.7 percent (5-12) on 3-pointers. Georgetown hit a smoking hot 71.7 percent of their field goal attempts and 46.2 percent (6-13) on 3-pointers. Georgetown is a bad example as this post is really about conference play plus we simply ran into a buzz saw at Georgetown.

Back to Miami - I haven't mentioned Miami's leading scorer or leading rebounder. James Dews scores 12.1 points per game, while Dwayne Collins averages 8.1 rebounds per game with 3 coming on the offensive glass. He is also the Hurricanes' second leading scorer at 11.6 per game. We must be strong on the glass in Coral Gables.

You make some good points about Miami and also keep in mind there are very well coached (unlike some ACC teams) and they have several very good young players - Reggie Johnson, Garrius Adams and Julian Gamble are all NC kids and Durand Scott was a top recruit ---- Collins is inconsistent but it is due to a back injury and not due to attitude (he has played well against Duke) - James Dews and Adrian Thomas as well as Malcolm Grant can knock down the 3s - which I think is the key to the game ----

sagegrouse
02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Bump.

Looks like an interesting match-up. And I am taking nothing for granted against the 'Canes.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Keys for the Game [Gawd! I feel like I am channelling Billy Packer.:eek:]

All of these are taken from your posts in this thread.

For Miami:

1. Big game from 6-8 Dwayne Collins.
2. Dews, Grant and Thomas scoring from beyond the arc.
3. Strong interior play from big ol' Reggie Johnson.

For Duke:

1. Defensive intensity, esp. against the 3-pt. shooters.
2. Better shooting touch on the road.
3. Productive games from Zoubs and Mason.

sagegrouse

94duke
02-17-2010, 09:28 AM

For Miami:

For Duke:

sagegrouse

Thanks for the summary!

Jeff Frosh
02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I am thrilled to report that I am going to do my part to boost attendance tonight. I just received my tickets this morning. Midcourt, Row 9. Duke attire ready to go! I better keep quiet when Miami is shooting free throws. I don't want Frank Haith to pull a Roy Williams on me.

Kedsy
02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I am thrilled to report that I am going to do my part to boost attendance tonight. I just received my tickets this morning. Midcourt, Row 9. Duke attire ready to go! I better keep quiet when Miami is shooting free throws. I don't want Frank Haith to pull a Roy Williams on me.

Cool. Have a great game, Frosh.

DukeAppWV
02-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Don't worry - Frank Haith is a great man and good coach - he is not a drama queen like Ol Roy ----

UrinalCake
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Any update on Lance's status? He played against Maryland but wasn't 100%. How is his recovery is coming along?

Classof06
02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
This is one of those games that looks mundane when you glance at the schedule, but I believe Miami will give Duke a handful tonight. I expect Duke to win but I also did when I attended the February 2008 game in Coral Gables; let's just say things didn't quite work out in the way which I expected.

Miami is a team that, for all its shortcomings, is 11-1 at home. Duke, for all its accolades, is not exactly a great road team; we can get to a .500 road record with a win tonight.

Long story short, the Canes will be a much tougher out than they appear to be.

Can't wait. Go Duke.

loldevilz
02-17-2010, 02:42 PM

For Miami:

For Duke:

sagegrouse

Great summary...I would add rebounding to our keys. Duke has been great rebounding this year, (1st in rebounding margin in the ACC) but we will need it to continue for us to be successful.

riverside6
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
live tempo-based stats for the Duke/Miami game here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3822

starters are posted

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Who punched Kyle in the eye?

Son of Mojo
Whoa!!!! Where'd Kyle get that shiner??

Newton_14
Kyle is sporting a nasty shiner.. must have been a rough practice??

OldSchool
02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Who punched Kyle in the eye?

Patrick Davidson was brought in to run practice this week and laid down the law.

somf4eva
02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
wondering the same thing. must have been practice.

arydolphin
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Chat is active at www.snrub.com.

FireOgilvie
02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Wayyyyyy too many 3s. This doesn't look good.

YourLandlord
02-17-2010, 07:27 PM
ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOtravel.

lpd1982
02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Never saw Jon throw the F bomb on national tv before.

TNDukeFan
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Mason on offense, Z on D!

gep
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
only watching real-time stats... Miami shooting 57%. Is defense "bad"?

Jon (0-3) and Nolan (0-5) with zero points? What's happening?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
not as bad as our tentative offense

take a cue from mason and go to the hole!

lpd1982
02-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Apparently only Duke fouls in this game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2010, 07:40 PM
frustrating start to this game, but i like all the different line ups K is throwing in.

AlaskanAssassin
02-17-2010, 07:42 PM
dang! who's that girl with the marry me poster! tsk tsk

strawbs
02-17-2010, 07:43 PM
jeeze they need to wake the f up. this has been a horrible half to watch.

91devil
02-17-2010, 07:43 PM
ugh...this is not good.

Tentative on offense. Not much energy. The crowd and atmosphere in the building seem terrible, too.

superdave
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
It seems like, after Durand Scott's last two buckets, that this just might be one of those nights. We're shooting poorly and allowing some junk defense to take us out of the game. Our guys dont look like they have any desire to attack the zone off the dribble. C'mon guys - attack! There's a hole in the middle!

Three steps forward but one step back. Of course our D could turn things around!

loldevilz
02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Nolan smith has been just awful...he shows absolutely no toughness or emotion.

Son of Mojo
02-17-2010, 07:49 PM
We're looking poor out there and not having any help by the lack of fouls called on Mug-ami. Need some serious changes in the 2nd half. BIG changes.

lpd1982
02-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Celebrating at half time like the game is over. Next our opponents will be rushing the court at the half.

91devil
02-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I think this may end up being 'one of those nights'. Simply terrible.

Last possession...we shoot way too early (six or seven seconds) and that leads to a fairly easy basket. Miami gets the ball to start the second half.

Greg_Newton
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Yikes... got this DVRing because I'm just now getting off work, but caved and checked this thread. Doesn't sound like I have much to look forward to...

jipops
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
A truly nauseating performance.

jipops
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
We're looking poor out there and not having any help by the lack of fouls called on Mug-ami. Need some serious changes in the 2nd half. BIG changes.

If we actually put some pressure on their defense maybe we would draw some fouls. This is one of the poorest offensive displays I've seen all year, from any team.

CLW
02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
The Dr. jekyll and Mr. Hyde tour continues. On the road and the opponent shoots light out while the team looks to have no energy.

strawbs
how much do we lose this game by? i'm going with 14. I'm praying we can pull out a win, but from what i've seen, we have shown no signs of being able to score the basketball tonight

BlueintheFace
History (limited though it is) says this team won't respond well to a halftime deficit like this.

House G
We look like we have never seen a zone before. Hubert Davis is right, we need to put the ball on the floor and attack down low, especially since we are so cold from outside. We started to do this late in the half.

Kfanarmy
02-17-2010, 07:57 PM
duke has been pretty easy for Miami to guard in the 1st half. Most of the time three people have been standing flat footed watching two others play. This will be interesting as none of the SSS are having a good game.

moonpie23
let's face it....this team has a problem with traveling further than 8 miles for a game... :(

ugh......gotta power up some inside play and score some baskets...

i'm sure K is discussing it with them at the half
:(

GODUKEGO
At half shooting 32% versus Miami's 63%. From 3, 30% versus 75%. Plus we are not aggressively gone after loose balls. There defense has us looking very confused!!!

slower
02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
A truly nauseating performance.

again. I just don't buy that it's "one of those nights". What a cop-out. Maybe they'll turn it around in the second half. If so, great. I'll watch on DVR tomorrow. Otherwise, I have many better ways to spend a relaxing evening than to watch ANOTHER putrid half of basketball.

Saratoga2
02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Scheyer seems to lack confidence in his shot, while Nolan doesn't seem to be able to get his offense in gear. Singler is playing well but not shooting too well. The Miami defense is contesting while our defense is not able to stop some of the Maimi guards.

Coach K has tried a bunch of combinations but noting is working well. Our bigs are doing better here but we need guard play. This looks like another long night.

superdave
02-17-2010, 07:59 PM
We look like we have never seen a zone before. Hubert Davis is right, we need to put the ball on the floor and attack down low, especially since we are so cold from outside. We started to do this late in the half.

Bingo.

We can do this. It starts on the defensive end though, with better rotation on switches and better rebounding. They want it more right now and are out hustling us to rebounds and loose balls.

But our D is capable. And if our D kicks in, our O can follow suit (as long as we drive). Miami's D is not that good. It's a garbage D. Attack it and it folds. Pressure it and it fouls!

grossbus
02-17-2010, 08:00 PM
ouch!

superdave
02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
How does the espn box score have Zoubek at 4 turnovers? Really?

Coballs
02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
After winning at UNC and whooping the Terps, this appears to be a classic letdown game. It looks alarmingly similar to the NC State debacle.

superdave
02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Singler 2-7
Smith 1-7
Scheyer 0-6

Are we playing Villanova? (sorry, couldnt resist)

When the jumper does not fall, drive drive drive. Please and thank you.

Ohhh, also we only shot 2 free throws that half. Unacceptable.

weezie
02-17-2010, 08:04 PM
My dish antennae was knocked off in the storm, can't see the game, can't pick up anything other than cbs gametracker with my boondocks satellite and this is killing me reading these comments.
Damnation!!!!!!!!!

House G
02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I can understand poor shooting nights, but I have trouble with poor passing, traveling, missed layups, reach-in fouls, poor rotation on defense, over the back fouls, missed FTs, and poor execution at "holding for a last shot".

Indoor66
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
It's Hubert! :mad:

Son of Mojo
02-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Good start!!! Keep it going.

weezie
02-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Nah....it's ego.

pfrduke
02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
History (limited though it is) says this team won't respond well to a halftime deficit like this.

Thankfully History doesn't appear to have come out of the locker room to start the second half. Let's keep it up boys!

Duke4life92
02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Can we please get the same calls on both ends,this is ridiculous the way it's being called on each end.Crazy!!:mad:

FireOgilvie
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Good start to the second half.

Two more things:

1. The Miami stadium announcer says, "TWO shots!" in a really high pitched voice... what's up with that?

2. Miami's cheerleaders. Wow.

sweetchiba51
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
We might be down, but Zoubs is keeping us in this game! Never thought I would say that.

sweetchiba51
02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Like I said ZOUBS!

sweetchiba51
02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
There are really some negative folks on this board..

Mrezt
02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Everytime i'm in the DBR chat Duke plays awful, am i cursed

I left the chat right when the 2nd half started.

OldSchool
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Brian is winning the turnover battle against himself. He has four turnovers, but five steals!

gep
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
what's up with Jon? maybe this 3 gets him going?!?!?!?

grossbus
02-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Zoobs lifting the team. Go Duke!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
do you have a link to the dbr chat? i happened upon it once...

superdave
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
We caught fire. We are out hustling them now.
Tie game! We should be down 10.

Duke4life92
02-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Nope,john is just off this game.It happens,he'll bounce back..

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2010, 08:24 PM
"It'll be interesting to see how Duke reacts on the offensive end with Zoubek on the bench..." -- never thought i'd hear that phrase

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2010, 08:26 PM
uh... okay, i'm in bizzaro land... hubert just referenced duke's amazing depth AND athleticism...

Duke4life92
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Amazing our big's can't make any contact at all without getting a foul called on them.:mad::mad:

pfrduke
02-17-2010, 08:29 PM
do you have a link to the dbr chat? i happened upon it once...

Duke is taking on Miami, come chat (http://www.snrub.com/) while watching.

See above.

Kfanarmy
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
is a foul machine right now

Mrezt
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Maryland flashback when Nolan went down

Duke4life92
02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I think singler is carrying this team tonight and that screen set on nolan was flagrant.

CBDUKE
02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Kyle gets mugged and then the foul is on him!

Kfanarmy
02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Z needs to stay near the paint for a bit on offense. starting to fall into the jump shooting only mode again.

House G
02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
That foul against Lance helps explain why they have shot 16 more free throws than we have.

FireOgilvie
Scheyer needs to start hitting shots... 1-11 so far.

Duke76
that last one was unbelievable

Coballs
That was not a charge on LT. The ref blew that one. The defender never established position and went up with Lance. Awful call. That was possibly the best offensive move I've seen him make in his entire Duke career.

RoyalBlue08
This game is 8 on 5 IMO. I haven't seen an ACC game all year in which the calls were this one sided. It takes so little for Duke players to be called for fouls and Miami seems to get away with a lot of contact. I feel confident we can win despite this adversity however.

grossbus
02-17-2010, 08:43 PM
NCAA has to get that half circle under the basket. These officials cannot make the correct charge call.

JaMarcus Russell
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
First time all year I have posted anything about the officials. This game is an embarrassment.

gep
02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
free throws... Duke 5-8... Miami 17-21... amazing

illinoisdukie
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Hubert needs to shut up about the kid getting the shell taken away. Wonder if he complained when Roy got that guy kicked out for yelling miss it.

ice-9
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Is this Scheyer's worst game of the season? C'mon Scheyer let's go!

FireOgilvie
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Hubert needs to shut up about the kid getting the shell taken away. Wonder if he complained when Roy got that guy kicked out for yelling miss it.

No kidding. I actually thought Hubert had been tolerable until that point.

Son of Mojo
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
That was a bogus charge on Lance. The one on Nolan at the start of the half was, too. BIG shot by Jon there.

ice-9
02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Is this Scheyer's worst game of the season? C'mon Scheyer let's go!

LOL guess he heard me! Two 3s and a steal!

jipops
02-17-2010, 08:52 PM
LOL guess he heard me! Two 3s and a steal!

Jon is so clutch. It's winnin' time!

Duke4life92
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Well the other announcer did say no horn type devices are allowed by fans in the arena did'nt he?

pfrduke
02-17-2010, 08:56 PM
2 big Z freebies and a clutch bomb from Nolan!

gep
02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
man... play some D... put this game away...

burns15
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
This game is 8 on 5 IMO. I haven't seen an ACC game all year in which the calls were this one sided. It takes so little for Duke players to be called for fouls and Miami seems to get away with a lot of contact. I feel confident we can win despite this adversity however.

You didnt watch the Virginia Tech-Wake game last night then. Unbelievable the calls Greenberg's goons were getting. Free throws were 47 to 27 with Wake being the team that attacked the basket more

RoyalBlue08
02-17-2010, 09:01 PM
You didnt watch the Virginia Tech-Wake game last night then. Unbelievable the calls Greenberg's goons were getting. Free throws were 47 to 27 with Wake being the team that attacked the basket more

You are right...I didn't watch it. Before tonight I was thinking the refs have been really good this year, but maybe Duke has been just been lucky so far in terms of the refs calling good games for the most part.

Duke4life92
02-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Just control ball and make free throws now.

Coballs
02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
This was just a fantastic half of basketball. This is what it looks like when Singler, Scheyer, and Nolan Smith all pick up their games simultaneously, with major contributions from Zoubek and LT.

RoyalBlue08
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
That is the saddest looking retired jersey I have ever seen

Duvall
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Pfft. Easy.

CLW
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
where was this effort in the 1st half?

strawbs
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
how much do we lose this game by? i'm going with 14. I'm praying we can pull out a win, but from what i've seen, we have shown no signs of being able to score the basketball tonight

Boy am i happy to be wrong. Great effort in the 2nd half. I was dying to post something during the opening surge of the 2nd half, but i didn't want to take a chance jinxing the team.

weezie
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
And that's how you play basketball!