PDA

View Full Version : Putting out a hit on Imitation Viking

Viking Guy
02-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Attention Duke Fans:

Viking Guy here. The real Viking Guy. I'm here today calling for your help bringing a snot-nosed imitator to justice.

Perhaps you've seen an undergrad dressed in a viking helmet prancing about in Section 17 this year. His plagiarist visage can be seen here (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Crazies/Crazies-vs-Maryland/DSC5406/787549570_tC6hJ-XL.jpg), lurking cowardly behind a sign at yesterday's Maryland game.

This kid is a fraud of the worst variety. I will no longer sit idly by as Imitation Viking plies his antics trading on my good name. In the words of the late 20th century's greatest philosopher, "The aggression will not stand, man" (Lebowski, 1998).

This punk needs to be put in his place. So here's what I want you to do: Find Imitation Viking, and give him a wet willy. A really sloppy, vicious, disgusting wet willy. Let him know that the real Viking Guy says "Hello".

Report back when done. You will be handsomely rewarded.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/profile2/100/49/n1315728_27533.jpg

Cell-R
02-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Hopefully no one gets to him before I can next year :D:D:D

Chester Jumob
02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
This is truly an outrage! If you know this imposter, tell him the wrath of Asgard shall rain down upon his ear.

JasonEvans
02-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Even worse, there is a fake Throatybeard hanging out with fake Viking.

--Jason "long live the real Throatybeard!!" Evans
http://duke.edu/~epv/images/Throatyflex.jpg

BattierD12
02-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Faux-Viking Guy is a line monitor.

El_Diablo
02-14-2010, 02:49 PM

I think he had only one horn for the first semester, in honor of Olek Czyz ("Are you not entertained?"). Reintroducing that second horn was a big mistake... :eek:

Jumbo
02-14-2010, 03:25 PM

He should be monitoring his ears instead. And Fake Throatybeard, too.

pfrduke
02-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that fake Viking guy bears more than a passing resemblance (and not just in the horned helmet sense) to real Viking guy?

JasonEvans
02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that fake Viking guy bears more than a passing resemblance (and not just in the horned helmet sense) to real Viking guy?

Two words...

Love
Child!

-Jason

blazindw
02-14-2010, 03:37 PM

He is a line monitor this year. The guy holding the sign in that picture is the HLM. The other only had one horn in his helmet for the first game in honor of Olek, but I agree...the original Phalanx cannot be duplicated or replicated!

Also, on a personal note, I will always look at any Crazie who wears a headband in the stands as jockin my timeless style! ;)

Dukeface88
02-14-2010, 03:59 PM
He is a line monitor this year. The guy holding the sign in that picture is the HLM. The other only had one horn in his helmet for the first game in honor of Olek, but I agree...the original Phalanx cannot be duplicated or replicated!

Also, on a personal note, I will always look at any Crazie who wears a headband in the stands as jockin my timeless style! ;)

Blame the Athletic Department for that one. They gave out free headbands at one of the football games, so quite a few of us have them.

Just for general information, Scheyer's parents brought coffee and doughnuts for the Crazies in line yesterday (hence the sign thanking them in the picture). They were very much appreciated.

allenmurray
02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Take it as a tribute, an honor.

Viking Guy
02-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Hey D, it was great to watch the game with you yesterday. Thanks for setting that up.

Viking Guy
02-14-2010, 04:09 PM

You're out of your mind. As any child can see, Viking Guy wore sunglasses, while Imitation Viking does not. Duh.

Sunglasses were a Phalanx dress code requirement, necessary to preserve anonymity and avoid detection should your advisor happen to see you on television.

YourLandlord
02-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Take it as a tribute, an honor.

Seriously, Viking Guy -- you're being absurd. You should feel honored that these kids grew up seeing you and are paying tribute.

Viking Guy
02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Seriously, Viking Guy -- you're being absurd. You should feel honored that these kids grew up seeing you and are paying tribute.

Lighten up Francis. This thread should not to be taken seriously.

BD80
02-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Attention Duke Fans:

Viking Guy here. The real Viking Guy. I'm here today calling for your help bringing a snot-nosed imitator to justice. ...

This kid is a fraud of the worst variety. I will no longer sit idly by as Imitation Viking plies his antics trading on my good name. In the words of the late 20th century's greatest philosopher, "The aggression will not stand, man" (Lebowski, 1998). ...

... Also, on a personal note, I will always look at any Crazie who wears a headband in the stands as jockin my timeless style! ;)

I'm glad this is all coming out. For years now I have been seething. For years I wore a blue DUKE t-shirt to games. Now there are hundreds of people copying me!

Hey Viking Guy, do you go to games any more? Why not be happy the tradition continues? If you contributed to the Cameron experience for others, why not pass along your secrets to a protégé so he can rile up the next generation of Crazies?

Jumbo
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM

The sarcasm store called ...

Viking Guy
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey Viking Guy, do you go to games any more? Why not be happy the tradition continues? If you contributed to the Cameron experience for others, why not pass along your secrets to a protégé so he can rile up the next generation of Crazies?

Relax boss, I'm just fooling around.

Acymetric
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
If nothing else, I would have thought the wet willie punishment would have made it clear this wasn't a serious post...

BD80
02-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Sure. No problem. Obsolescence is difficult to deal with. Doesn't hurt to remind people that you existed.

Easy to see from your post that you fully support the new Viking Guy.

JDev
02-14-2010, 05:33 PM
If nothing else, I would have thought the wet willie punishment would have made it clear this wasn't a serious post...

Well, they are terribly uncomfortable, not to mention unhygienic.

77devil
02-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Attention Duke Fans:

Viking Guy here. The real Viking Guy. I'm here today calling for your help bringing a snot-nosed imitator to justice.

Perhaps you've seen an undergrad dressed in a viking helmet prancing about in Section 17 this year. His plagiarist visage can be seen here (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Crazies/Crazies-vs-Maryland/DSC5406/787549570_tC6hJ-XL.jpg), lurking cowardly behind a sign at yesterday's Maryland game.

This kid is a fraud of the worst variety. I will no longer sit idly by as Imitation Viking plies his antics trading on my good name. In the words of the late 20th century's greatest philosopher, "The aggression will not stand, man" (Lebowski, 1998).

This punk needs to be put in his place. So here's what I want you to do: Find Imitation Viking, and give him a wet willy. A really sloppy, vicious, disgusting wet willy. Let him know that the real Viking Guy says "Hello".

Report back when done. You will be handsomely rewarded.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/profile2/100/49/n1315728_27533.jpg

Suggest you demand a royalty.

ricks68
02-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Just a reminder:

While not a member, here's me with Viking Guy a few years ago:

I will try to come by and visit with anyone around at halftime of the Va Tech game this weekend at the usual meeting place. Hope to see you there.

ricks

devildeac
02-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Just a reminder:

While not a member, here's me with Viking Guy a few years ago:

I will try to come by and visit with anyone around at halftime of the Va Tech game this weekend at the usual meeting place. Hope to see you there.

ricks

Ozzie and I will be there. Bringing any Texas 'cue?;)

ricks68
02-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I never thought of that. Darn! I just checked the freezer, and the only rings I have are over a year old----so they are no good. You can reheat the rings in a microwave, and they taste almost as good as just BBQ'd. I brought some for Throaty about 5 years ago and he didn't think they passed the test, and I still owe James some (I didn't forget.) Unfortunately, I didn't think about it the last time I was at Kreuz Market a month or two ago. Stupid, stupid, stupid.:o

ricks

throatybeard
02-15-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't know whether I look worse now, or back then.

oldnavy
02-15-2010, 06:42 AM
I think Viking Guy should hold a "passing of the horns" ceremony to officially recognize the new viking guy! They could do it in true Viking tradition, by sending Viking Guy’s helmet off to Valhalla on a burning funeral barge.

davekay1971
02-15-2010, 08:42 AM
This is the funniest thread I've read in awhile.

Hope Imitation Viking Guy is reading it...he should at least be warned that he's in the crosshairs.

MulletMan
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Imitation Mullet Man (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2008-09/Crazies/Crazies-v-Wake-Forest/7433662_9kApk#479320757_7BsLQ-L-LB)!!!!!!!!!

Willies for all! This Imitation Phalanx will not stand!!!! :mad:

allenmurray
02-15-2010, 10:00 AM
I think Viking Guy should hold a "passing of the horns" ceremony to officially recognize the new viking guy! They could do it in true Viking tradition, by sending Viking Guy’s helmet off to Valhalla on a burning funeral barge.

A little off topic, but I felt the same way about the Blue Devil. I was a big fan of the old Blue Devil (I have grown to love the new one). However, there should have been a passing the torch ceremony, or faux retirement party (where the new Blue Devil could have given the old one a fishing rod and a gold watch). I felt he was dumped pretty uncerimoniously and deserved better.

dukeimac
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm confused, aren't all vikings fake?

Farve and Peterson opened a donut shop in Minneapolis and they are specializing in turnovers.

Peterson, not to be out done by the release of Farve favorite song, can out with his favorite song, "Ball on the ground, ball on the ground."

Seriously, these days I would not be worried about a viking fake, it might help the image rather than hurt it.

Viking Guy
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Imitation Mullet Man (http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2008-09/Crazies/Crazies-v-Wake-Forest/7433662_9kApk#479320757_7BsLQ-L-LB)!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, wet willies all around for these kids. And lets get then a sandwich while were at it, they're practically wasting away.

That's either a really bad mullet wig, or an exceptionally bad pledge haircut.

blazindw
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey D, it was great to watch the game with you yesterday. Thanks for setting that up.

Not a problem, it was fun. 3 more watch parties this year, but alas I won't be at any of them due to the Michigan Bar Exam and trying to go to the MD and UNC games.

Blame the Athletic Department for that one. They gave out free headbands at one of the football games, so quite a few of us have them.

It's all good. I was just playing around. I didn't invent the headband look, I just perfected it! ;)

miramar
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I bet that the newbie was disappointed that the real Viking guy ended up concentrating on his thesis his final year, and so he wanted to pay homage to the mentor that he grew up watching when he was first thinking of applying to Duke. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, even if the newbie pales in comparison to the original.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey Ed! You still got the gorilla costume? GorillOZ wants to know!

msdukie
02-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I didn't recognize the imposters as imitators of the Phalanx, but I'm sure that is because I can't get past the black on the uniforms....

MulletMan
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey Ed! You still got the gorilla costume? GorillOZ wants to know!

Its in his closet!

Viking Guy
02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I bet that the newbie was disappointed that the real Viking guy ended up concentrating on his thesis his final year, and so he wanted to pay homage to the mentor that he grew up watching when he was first thinking of applying to Duke. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, even if the newbie pales in comparison to the original.

I'm just jealous because his horns are bigger than mine. And more furry.

gvtucker
02-15-2010, 01:02 PM

I think you misunderestimate the harsh impact that a well delivered wet willie can inflict.

VaDukie
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Viking Guy,

I know your impostor. He is a good friend and a die hard Duke fan. I will direct his attention to this thread in the hopes that we can properly resolve this matter.

Honored to be able to properly inject myself into this thread,
-VaDukie

MulletMan
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Viking Guy,

I know your impostor. He is a good friend and a die hard Duke fan. I will direct his attention to this thread in the hopes that we can properly resolve this matter.

-VaDukie

I love the formality of this notification. Clearly this poster fully grasps the gravity of this situation!

VaDukie
02-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Mullet Man,

I am standing next to your impostor in that photo. (Blue hair perfectly concealing my true identity). I will also inform him of this thread.

Back to Back,
VaDukie

Viking Guy
02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Viking Guy,

-VaDukie

I believe that we can satisfactorily resolve this situation if your friends were each to self-administer a wet willy, with photographic evidence.

These are our terms.

-VG

MulletMan
02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I believe that we can satisfactorily resolve this situation if your friends were each to self-administer a wet willy, with photographic evidence.

These are our terms.

-VG

I second the motion with a slight addendum... the dual-willie must last at least 5 seconds, no longer than 20... becuase longer than 20 would be weird.

Viking Guy
02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I second the motion with a slight addendum... the dual-willie must last at least 5 seconds, no longer than 20... becuase longer than 20 would be weird.

And obviously the self-willies should be done in costume. (This should go without saying).

VaDukie
02-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Your young imitator will be posting today after class.

Pumped this thread finally led me to a proper avatar,
-VaDukie

MulletMan
02-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Your young imitator will be posting today after class.

Pumped this thread finally led me to a proper avatar,
-VaDukie

That really is a sweet avatar.

throatybeard
02-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Wet willies? I can't stand this lily-livered weak sentencing these days. I demand titty twisters.

Newton_14
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Wet willies? I can't stand this lily-livered weak sentencing these days. I demand titty twisters.

No No No!

The punishment MUST fit the crime!!

Dual Wedgies at halfcourt at the game with the holes!!

roywhite
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
No No No!

The punishment MUST fit the crime!!

Dual Wedgies at halfcourt at the game with the holes!!

Do real Vikings even own underwear?

Indoor66
02-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. What is the complaint?

pfrduke
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. What is the complaint?

See below.

Lighten up Francis. This thread should not to be taken seriously.

"faux"vikingman
02-16-2010, 12:05 AM
I do not wear the helmet for the glory. I do not wear the helmet for my Norwegian heritage. Although I respect him greatly, I do not wear the helmet for the original VikingGuy.

I pay homage to the fact that Duke pillages teams from College Park to Chapel Hill, from Miami, FL to Spokane, WA, much like my forefathers pillaged villages.

davekay1971
02-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Uh oh..."Fauxvikingman" just threw down.

Not only did he refuse to accept Viking Guy's terms, I think he claimed to be the true Viking MAN on the basis of his heritage.

You're not going to take, are you Viking Guy? Are you? By now, Joe Pesci would have shot Spider...Just sayin'

Exiled_Devil
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, even if the newbie pales in comparison to the original.

I don't know, the original Viking guy was pretty pale himself.

Zing!

miramar
02-16-2010, 09:05 AM
According to historian Robert Ferguson, the Vikings wore leather caps rather than horned helmets:

http://podularity.com/2009/11/12/did-the-vikings-wear-viking-helmets/

This website says that it was Norse priests who wore the horned helmets, although I would say that our Viking guy didn't seem the priestly type:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2189/did-vikings-really-wear-horns-on-their-helmets

Next thing you know they'll be saying that the Vikings didn't wear sunglasses or go to basketball games.

JasonEvans
02-16-2010, 10:17 AM
I do not wear the helmet for the glory. I do not wear the helmet for my Norwegian heritage. Although I respect him greatly, I do not wear the helmet for the original VikingGuy.

I pay homage to the fact that Duke pillages teams from College Park to Chapel Hill, from Miami, FL to Spokane, WA, much like my forefathers pillaged villages.

Oh, it is soooo on!!

A sloshy eardrum is in your future, Faux. Just accept your fate.

-Jason

Mike Corey
02-16-2010, 11:23 AM

As someone who was a Viking in high school, and as someone who was admitted to Duke by the one and only Viking Guy, I am floored by this retort, even though I am sitting down.

We all pay homage to Viking Guy every day of our lives. He gave us the courage to stand up (in Cameron) while everyone else (upstairs) sat down.

BlueintheFace
02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
The original vikingman will just have to take the law in to his own hands (as befits a viking of his stature) and show up to a Duke game in order to administer the wet willie personally.

It's a shame it had to come to this.

91devil
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Niedermayer!

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
As someone who was a Viking in high school, and as someone who was admitted to Duke by the one and only Viking Guy, I am floored by this retort, even though I am sitting down.

We all pay homage to Viking Guy every day of our lives. He gave us the courage to stand up (in Cameron) while everyone else (upstairs) sat down.

Hi Mike! I definitely appreciate the props, but students have been standing up in Cameron longer than you or I have been alive. The folks "above the rail" ...well they're a different story.

Plus Mullet Man was at least 50% of the equation and deserves the credit that he rarely gets. Throatybeard was there too (plus Baldy, the Law Talking Guys, Brett the Cheerleader, Gavin the Cowboy Minister, SuperGirl Kim, Bluehair Laura, etc, etc...). And we all owe our success to Big Tall Backwards Hat Guy and his crew who led the grad students from 1999-2001. Those guys set the stage and were the best hecklers I have ever seen or heard.

Now as for "Faux" my little protege, I like your balls. Nice response. I hearby retract the demand for wet willies. Your ears are safe (although it would be hilarious to see you wearing earmuffs at the next game). Drop me a line sometime.

And please, get yourself some proper sunglasses.

MulletMan
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Those guys set the stage and were the best hecklers I have ever seen or heard.

AHEM!?!!!?

And please, get yourself some proper sunglasses.

Second. And tell Imitation Mullet that Duke Headbands can be purchased at the Duke store for a nominal fee. Actually, if he gets a decent pair of sunglasses, I will buy him a headband.

throatybeard
02-16-2010, 12:17 PM
And we all owe our success to Big Tall Backwards Hat Guy and his crew who led the grad students from 1999-2001.

Absolutely. That crew really galvanized the grad students in a way we just hadn't seen in 1995 thru 1998. When I was an undergrad, we always talked about how lame and upstairsey the grad students were. BTBHG changed that in a hurry. I'm not sure why our group gets talked about a lot but theirs doesn't.

There must be a Throatybeard gestalt in people's minds, because I've been to exactly three games in Cameron since I left in 2004, and at all three, people have come up to me and said "I see you at games all the time." If they're hallucinating me at games five seasons later, they'll be conjuring Ed and Jeff for at least twenty.

Maybe we should do an annual reunion game, like a superannuated rock band.

BlueintheFace
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Absolutely. That crew really galvanized the grad students in a way we just hadn't seen in 1995 thru 1998. When I was an undergrad, we always talked about how lame and upstairsey the grad students were. BTBHG changed that in a hurry. I'm not sure why our group gets talked about a lot but theirs doesn't.

There must be a Throatybeard gestalt in people's minds, because I've been to exactly three games in Cameron since I left in 2004, and at all three, people have come up to me and said "I see you at games all the time." If they're hallucinating me at games five seasons later, they'll be conjuring Ed and Jeff for at least twenty.

Maybe we should do an annual reunion game, like a superannuated rock band.

A new mulletman was prowling the sideline off and on from 2006- maybe 2008. He is gone now though. Probably couldn't deal with the weight of expectations created by your legacy.

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
AHEM!?!!!?

You know I have nothing but love for you and your force of nature heckling skillz. But you have to admit that BTBHG and his two little buddies were genius.

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure why our group gets talked about a lot but theirs doesn't.

Four reasons:

1) We were around during the expansion of the grad ticket allotment

2) We worked more with our undergrad counterparts

3) Better costumes

4) Duration. As law students, BTBHG and crew were only active for three years. The Phalanx was active (in varying degrees and personnel) for five years. Some remnants are still hanging around.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Ye Bearers of the Tradition, it is only appropriate that as many of you as possible make an appearance before Dr. Chandler leaves his seat in Cameron. If the authorities don't plan a suitable commemoration of his important contributions to Duke, we need you guys to help us do it on our own.

I would also suggest that Doug Hinds, T '64, be invited to this special tribute since he and his rubber chicken began the crazy movement.

CrazieDUMB
02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
There really should be a display somewhere in cameron highlighting the luminaries of the Crazie tradition

MulletMan
02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
You know I have nothing but love for you and your force of nature heckling skillz. But you have to admit that BTBHG and his two little buddies were genius.

Totally!

One of my favorite memories of Cameron was the night he came over to take a picture with us and we asked, to his astonishment, if he was BTBHG. He looked so shocked that we knew who he was. I'm pretty sure we cow-towed to completely embarrass him!

allenmurray
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
The folks "above the rail" ...well they're a different story.

how lame and upstairsey

I really tire of this.

I rarely get the chance to go to CIS - when I do it is usually through the generosity of a relative of a dear friend. She will sometimes give me her ticket if she can't make it to the game (she attends 90%+ of the basketball and football games). She is a Duke graduate, as was her late husband, and she is a huge and lifelong supporter of Duke Atheltics. She is in her mid 80s. I fully understand why she doesn't stand during the game. But I am only in my late 40s, so why don't I stand? Because many of the folks seated near and behind me can't stand for a whole game - they stand on occasion to cheer a great play, but they just can't do a full 2 hours. If I stood it would block their view of the game and would be incredibly rude.

Many of the folks who sit upstairs have been supporting Duke athletics, with both their presence and their money, since before those who complain about them were even born. Perhaps 30 years from now, when you are not as young or healthy as you are now, some fool will be standing up in front of you for the entire game and you'll get to see nothing. You will ponder why folks are so rude. Then you'll remember - back a few years there was a group of folks who loved to criticize the upstairs crowd for not standing. People took those critics to heart and the critics won. Now those who can stand do so. And those who can't stand just don't bother to come anymore, because they can't see a darn thing. They stay home.

throatybeard
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Four reasons:

3) Better costumes

4) Duration. As law students, BTBHG and crew were only active for three years. The Phalanx was active (in varying degrees and personnel) for five years. Some remnants are still hanging around.

Interesting.

1) I don't see why that would matter. Both groups were right under the South goal. Why does it matter whether you have an extra 150 or 200 people around you?

2) Mos def. Call-response, dry-erase boards, cultivated relationships with folks like Wine and Majdi. It was a point of emphasis.

3) What costumes? You had a hat and Jeff had a wig. I had a nearly decade-old beard. Everybody was wearing jerseys.

4) Absolutely, yes.

Ed, do you remember BTBHG's name? I wanna say it was like Gavin or Gabriel or something.

throatybeard
02-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I really tire of this.

I'm not making the argument, Allen, I'm reporting the fact this is how we viewed the upstairs when we were undergrads. And we viewed the Grad students as more like upstairs than like us. That perception changed quickly with Big Tall Backwards Hat Guy's crew. Really, 1999-2006 was a project of making the grad section a more integrated part of downstairs.

Undergrads will always think the upstairs is lame and quiet, and upstairs will always think that undergrads aren't taking the concerns you mention into account. I can't see anything that would ever change that generational dynamic. Don't trust anyone over 30.

Now I'm 33, my back hurts, and I just don't care who does what in Cameron.

allenmurray
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not making the argument, Allen, I'm saying this is how we viewed the upstairs when we were undergrads. And we viewed the Grad students as more like upstairs than like us. That perception changed quickly with Big Tall Backwards Hat Guy's crew.

Now I'm 33, my back hurts, and I just don't care who does what in Cameron.

Sorry - it wasn't so much directed at you as at the frequent railing (no pun intended) on this board against the folks above the rail. When I go to the rare basketball game, and especially to football games, I see folks who have been coming to every game, week in and out, for 40 or 50 years. Then I see folks stand directly in front of them and block their view. It doesn't need to be encouraged.

CIS actually has a great set-up to deal with this. The students and grad students sit downstairs where they can stand and be loud and crazy without that interfering with others' ability to enjoy the game. Folks upstairs, who may be a bit older and less agile, can sit. It works. There is no need for the group downstairs to complain that the group upstairs is not doing something that perhaps it can not do.

At Wallace Wade the problem is solved by attendance so poor that everyone can have their own row. When that changes there will need to be a solution for that venue so the old-timers can still watch the game as well.

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Interesting.
1) I don't see why that would matter. Both groups were right under the South goal. Why does it matter whether you have an extra 150 or 200 people around you?

Because the expansion of seats was indicative of a groundswell of interest in basketball among the grad students. With the grad students more engaged, we could ply our trade more or less at will. Do you think our section could have pulled off something like Speedo Guy back in 1996? I don't

3) What costumes? You had a hat and Jeff had a wig. I had a nearly decade-old beard. Everybody was wearing jerseys.
Don't forget the sunglasses. All BTBHG had was a backwards baseball cap.

Ed, do you remember BTBHG's name? I wanna say it was like Gavin or Gabriel or something.
I think his name is Devon.

JasonEvans
02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Just so ya'll understand that Cameron existed before the mid-90s ;)

Any Cameron Hall of Fame must include the orginial basket-head. I forget his name. He was a senior when I was a freshmen. His group and my group of friends were really the first folks to start long-term camping out for games in the spring of 1986. We started by coming out early in the morning, then it moved to the night before, and by the end of the season we were spending 3 or 4 days in line.

The next few years, there was a guy who rowed crew at Duke who made it his mission to show up first for every single game. His name was Andy Lucks (I think) and he is the one who took camping out to the extreme. By the time I was a senior, we were camping pretty much full time the 2nd semester of the year. It was during those years that camping out came to be named Krzyzewskiville.

Some of my best friends were geniuses at signs. My good buddy Giraldo Gutierrez had one that read "Die Pond Scum!" which made it into SI as well as all the papers in articles talking about how creative Duke fans were. A few games later, he took a white posterboard and black marker and wrote "Generic Basketball Sign" on it and waved it everywhere. It was hysterical and, again, made it all over the national media.

--Jason "there is so much more... just didn't want all ya'll to have all the fun" Evans

Exiled_Devil
02-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Four reasons:

3) Better costumes

I would also credit the explosion of the internet and y'all's (y'uins?) respective presences online when you were in the grad section. I seem to recall BTBHG being active in DBR in 2000 or so, but leaving for some reason or another. Even with that, the 'branding' of hte phalanx was easier, with the avatar names easily recognized as those guys (even with the DURF_prop before the viking)

My wife was a grad student from 1996-2003 and brought me to the occasional game from 98-03. We stood next to BTBHG and his crew and then the phalanx over that timeframe (front row, edge of the key). They do set the benchmark for Craziness in my mind, which you came close to (sorry, Mullet).

BlueintheFace
02-16-2010, 03:02 PM
I hope we see the return of "the Zou" for Brian's senior night.

Duvall
02-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Just so ya'll understand that Cameron existed before the mid-90s ;)

Any Cameron Hall of Fame must include the orginial basket-head. I forget his name. He was a senior when I was a freshmen. His group and my group of friends were really the first folks to start long-term camping out for games in the spring of 1986. We started by coming out early in the morning, then it moved to the night before, and by the end of the season we were spending 3 or 4 days in line.

More here (http://dukechronicle.com/node/116347).

Duke of Nashville
02-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Armstrong added his own advice to the scions of Craziness. "Always be original and don't stick to what the people before you did," he said. "Make something of your own to contribute to the Cameron legacy."

End of discussion.

MulletMan
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
They do set the benchmark for Craziness in my mind, which you came close to (sorry, Mullet).

The only reason this is the case was because Viking was always mugging for the cameras! :D

Even he will tell you that I was the head of the beast and he was my puppet!!!

For the record, we didn't brand ourselves The Phalanx... that was suggested. And I didn't begin to post as Mullet Man until after the infamous "Back into the Woodwork" thread, circa February 2004.

-jk
02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I think it was all about branding and marketing The Phalanx. The whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

-jk

MulletMan
02-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I think it was all about branding and marketing The Phalanx. The whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

-jk

And thankfully the sum of our parts is a lot smaller than it was then... except for Throaty! I keed, I keed!

slapthefloor12
02-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting. Sadly, I've been reading this board for a few years, but have never posted.

I also wear a mullet to games.

Mullet Man, I believe it was during the 08-09 season that you came back for a game (mullet, sunglasses, headband, and all) and we had what I saw as a gentleman's bond. I started a chant in your direction, you acknowledged it, we saluted mullets, and it seemed that all was well.

My story begins with a Duke game I attended while I was in high school, plus the hundreds that I've watched over the years...it's a short story, too. I saw Mullet Man on tv, literally came across a mullet of my own, started wearing it as I led my high school student section (modeled after Cameron), and that overflowed into my college experience. I didn't want to go with the sunglasses and headband because then, I would have been completely ripping off MM. Instead, I went with the simple yet elegant mullet itself.

Yes, this has given me the opportunity to be decently known within the student section and land myself in the lead-ins to several games since fall 2007. It even got me in a Nike commercial (only aired online) with Coach K (spring 08...for the new Nike ID shoes).

Mullet Man, I am in no way trying to take your place or steal your fame. I hope this is seen as a compliment and a symbol of admiration. At the very least, it is to remind everyone of the quality of the student section while you and Viking Guy roamed Cameron.

I'll work on finding a better picture, too. The one posted was a terrible representation...that was only done to let my head breathe a bit. VADukie, if you have one, throw it on up here.

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
The only reason this is the case was because Viking was always mugging for the cameras! :D

Even he will tell you that I was the head of the beast and he was my puppet!!!

For the record, we didn't brand ourselves The Phalanx... that was suggested. And I didn't begin to post as Mullet Man until after the infamous "Back into the Woodwork" thread, circa February 2004.

Hey, I can't help it if the camera loves me!

The Phalanx was kind of like Voltron. You got to be the Head because that's the only job we could give you.

As for the origin of the name, I can't recall. To borrow a semi-famous quote: "We don't know where it came from because it didn't come from anywhere"

That said, we were the Phalanx before "300" made phalanxes cool (but after the actual spartans made phalanxes cool)

MulletMan
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting. Sadly, I've been reading this board for a few years, but have never posted.

I also wear a mullet to games.

Mullet Man, I believe it was during the 08-09 season that you came back for a game (mullet, sunglasses, headband, and all) and we had what I saw as a gentleman's bond. I started a chant in your direction, you acknowledged it, we saluted mullets, and it seemed that all was well.

My story begins with a Duke game I attended while I was in high school, plus the hundreds that I've watched over the years...it's a short story, too. I saw Mullet Man on tv, literally came across a mullet of my own, started wearing it as I led my high school student section (modeled after Cameron), and that overflowed into my college experience. I didn't want to go with the sunglasses and headband because then, I would have been completely ripping off MM. Instead, I went with the simple yet elegant mullet itself.

Yes, this has given me the opportunity to be decently known within the student section and land myself in the lead-ins to several games since fall 2007. It even got me in a Nike commercial (only aired online) with Coach K (spring 08...for the new Nike ID shoes).

Mullet Man, I am in no way trying to take your place or steal your fame. I hope this is seen as a compliment and a symbol of admiration. At the very least, it is to remind everyone of the quality of the student section while you and Viking Guy roamed Cameron.

I'll work on finding a better picture, too. The one posted was a terrible representation...that was only done to let my head breathe a bit. VADukie, if you have one, throw it on up here.

It's nearly impossible for me to read this post due to the tears in my eyes. *sniff*

Yeah... sorry I couldn't find a better picture online. Your mullet is waaaay longer than mine was. Mine was kind of white-trash UNC fan, and yours is more 80s hair band! Yours is also considerably cleaner.

And dude... you know all of this is a big laugh, right? I think Viking was just bored on Valentine's Day.

Also, it appears that you are some hybrid of Mullet Man and Viking Guy... you wear a mullet, but you clearly love Wojo... interesting!

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 04:44 PM
And dude... you know all of this is a big laugh, right? I think Viking was just bored on Valentine's Day.

Ditto to Faux Viking. We love you guys!!

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Yours is also considerably cleaner.

That would not be hard to accomplish. That said, Mullet Man got pretty good at the proper care and maintenance of his mullet, including regular grooming. It even had it's own little drawstring bag that it lived in!

The viking helmet, on the other hand, mostly just rode around in the trunk of my car. Throatybeard kept his throatybeard right on his face 24/7. As such, he was already ready for action.

JasonEvans
02-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Shep McKinley and Greg Esses... YES!! Names from the past. By the time I was leaving Duke in 1989, I know a lot of folks were pointing to me and my friends as pioneers (I was the first person to keep a list of everyone in line in front of Cameron and check it to make sure no one snuck in). Well, those guys were our role models.

--Jason "thanks for that link" Evans

throatybeard
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Throatybeard kept his throatybeard right on his face 24/7. As such, he was already ready for action.

I am fast approaching what I call "barbamajority date," Which is the date on which I will have had the beard for more than half my life. (4/19/2010)

Just as we didn't name the phalanx, I didn't name myself Throatybeard.

The sum of my parts gets larger every summer I spend doing fieldwork in Mississippi. I think I gain five every time I cross the state line. I then spend the winter walking around Saint Louis and eating my wife's food, I lose all but five pounds of the previous summer's disaster, and then wash rinse repeat.

Good point Ed about the rise of grad student interest. Which, I think had to do with post-championship afterglow. I forget the numbers, but way more people completed campout in 01-02 than had in 00-01. I want to say it was like 1350 up to 1700 or something.

I'd like to hear more specifically about the grad student section from the pre-1994 folks.

Viking Guy
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Good point Ed about the rise of grad student interest. Which, I think had to do with post-championship afterglow. I forget the numbers, but way more people completed campout in 01-02 than had in 00-01. I want to say it was like 1350 up to 1700 or something.

The grad student population was also increasing around that time. The number of grad students eclipsed the number of undergrads sometime in the mid-2000s.

BlueDevilBaby
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Did anyone catch the speedo guy impersonator at the Kansas/Texas A&M game last night, who, thankfully, was wearing shorts and cape instead of a speedo? I believe he was behind one of the baskets.

Duke of Nashville
02-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Did anyone catch the speedo guy impersonator at the Kansas/Texas A&M game last night, who, thankfully, was wearing shorts and cape instead of a speedo? I believe he was behind one of the baskets.

Did anyone see this?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/fat-cupid-fan-in-stands-at-idaho-utah-state-game/E0FD1ECC349589394685E0FD1ECC349589394685

slapthefloor12
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
MM and VG...I don't even know you guys, but I feel like we'd be very good friends. I definitely know it's all in good fun...but I also didn't want you to feel like we were completely uncreative with our ideas.

MM - My mullet looks/smells terrible. I can only imagine what yours must have been like, but mine spent a lot of high school at the bottom of my baseball bag (it was also our unofficial team mascot/good luck charm...think Howard's Rock with a party in the back).

Next time yall are in Durham (or if you're still here), shoot me an email and we'll try to get lunch or meet at some point. Conversation about mullets, Wojo, and the rest of Duke bball can't be wrong.

Get back to the student section soon! Take care guys.

Jumbo
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Hogwash. Despite the subsequent conversation, Faux Viking has not made suitable amends or showed proper deference to his predecessor. I am hereby adding a poll to this thread to determine his punishment.

Jumbo
02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
How should Faux Viking be Punished? See poll.

Newton_14
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
How should Faux Viking be Punished? See poll.

You forgot the poll...

Apologies from the Booz! Did not realize there was a delay!!

YourLandlord
You forgot the poll...
Old people that complain about young people are also often forgetful.
:cool:

Jumbo
You forgot the poll...

It takes a minute to add after the thread goes up.

Jumbo
02-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I would also credit the explosion of the internet and y'all's (y'uins?) respective presences online when you were in the grad section. I seem to recall BTBHG being active in DBR in 2000 or so, but leaving for some reason or another. Even with that, the 'branding' of hte phalanx was easier, with the avatar names easily recognized as those guys (even with the DURF_prop before the viking)

My wife was a grad student from 1996-2003 and brought me to the occasional game from 98-03. We stood next to BTBHG and his crew and then the phalanx over that timeframe (front row, edge of the key). They do set the benchmark for Craziness in my mind, which you came close to (sorry, Mullet).

I am deeply hurt that Throaty has now replaced me in your sig.

JasonEvans
02-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Did anyone see this?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/fat-cupid-fan-in-stands-at-idaho-utah-state-game/E0FD1ECC349589394685E0FD1ECC349589394685

Are you telling me you have never heard of "Shirtless Bill (http://thatfan.com/2010/02/10/say-hello-to-shirtless-bill-the-crazy-utah-state-basketball-fan/)"? He is Utah State's #1 fan (though he says he is really not that into basketball, he just goes because his friends like to go to games).

--Jason "he's been all over the internets lately" Evans

MulletMan
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Are you telling me you have never heard of "Shirtless Bill (http://thatfan.com/2010/02/10/say-hello-to-shirtless-bill-the-crazy-utah-state-basketball-fan/)"? He is Utah State's #1 fan (though he says he is really not that into basketball, he just goes because his friends like to go to games).

A sad and pathetic imitation of Speedo Guy. That dude has NO MOVES!

I dare say that Speedo Guy may have been the single greatest free throw distraction in the history of basketball.

Duke of Nashville
02-17-2010, 09:57 AM

haha Never! Someone posted it on my page and I thought it was funny as hell. You gotta love it when you see how the Cameron Crazies have developed/influenced fanhood across America.

sue71, esq
02-17-2010, 03:48 PM
This is the laugh-out-loud funniest thread I've read in a long time!

McGrupp
02-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I heard there were some drunk students at the Maryland game, which makes me angry because that's totally how I did it in the early 1990s.

BD80
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I heard there were some drunk students at the Maryland game, which makes me angry because that's totally how I did it in the early 1990s.

That had to be more difficult in the 90s than in the 70s. When was Prohibition enacted on campus? We had the advantage of keggers with left-over kegs, and open bar parties.

We invented tenting not to get in line for games, but to make it easier to find Cameron on Saturday after a good Friday night.

throatybeard
02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
That had to be more difficult in the 90s than in the 70s. When was Prohibition enacted on campus? We had the advantage of keggers with left-over kegs, and open bar parties.

We invented tenting not to get in line for games, but to make it easier to find Cameron on Saturday after a good Friday night.

There is no "Prohibition" on campus. Social groups are prevented from distributing to underage.

For over 21s, the risk of alcohol poisoning is far greater than lack of access to alcohol. I can't remember a game from 2001-04 where our whole group was anywhere near sober.

Greg_Newton
02-17-2010, 07:59 PM
There is no "Prohibition" on campus. Social groups are prevented from distributing to underage.

For over 21s, the risk of alcohol poisoning is far greater than lack of access to alcohol. I can't remember a game from 2001-04.

Fixed it for ya.:D

gvtucker
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM

You guys just thought you were drunk. Compared to us guys in the early 80's y'all were members of the Ladies' Temperance Society.

Duvall
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
You guys just thought you were drunk. Compared to us guys in the early 80's y'all were members of the Ladies' Temperance Society.

That's only because Danny Meagher was serving much stronger Canadian beer.

BlueDiablo
02-18-2010, 12:19 AM

I was never drunk when I attended Duke games in the late 1990s.

Viking Guy
02-18-2010, 12:32 AM
I was never drunk when I attended Duke games in the late 1990s.

Milk-a-wha?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXZ2hfD3bU).

MulletMan
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I can't remember a game from 2001-04 where our whole group was anywhere near sober.

Whaaaaa? I don't know what you speak of.

Viking Guy
02-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Whaaaaa? I don't know what you speak of.

I have no recollection of these events.

throatybeard
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart's a vampire. Beer kills brain cells.

Now let's go home to that...building...thingie...where our bed and tv...is.

94duke
02-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart's a vampire. Beer kills brain cells.

Now let's go home to that...building...thingie...where our bed and tv...is.

Nice!

DukeUsul
02-18-2010, 01:53 PM
This thread is like watching DBR All-Stars. Next thing I know, Merry will be posting here.