PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Maryland (Feb. 13)

Jumbo
02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the home game vs. Maryland?

GoingFor#5
02-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Tough call lol

TNDukeFan
Z!!!!!

slower
If today's game doesn't make you smile, nothing will. :D

dukestheheat
02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Zoubek was a stud today.

dth.

cwaugh
02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Man of the match obviously goes to Zoubek for having the best game of his career. He couldn't have picked a better game to have it on either. Scheyer gets second place for his clutch play. He is the constant on this team.

CameronBornAndBred
02-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Unbelievable.

Jumbo
I really, really hope this is unanimous.

CameronBlue
The Alpha Omega, Mr. Z

coldriver10
Can this finally be a unanimous vote??

Z was a man today!

juise
Zouuuuuuu!

loran16
02-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Agreed

Bluedevil114
02-13-2010, 03:08 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I do not think I have put the "Z" sign down all game. Big game for Zoubek. Lets hope Mason gets some inspiration from his play.

bluepenguin
go ahead and through out their votes!

RainingThrees
Great heart shown by Thomas but the game ball has to go to the man from Haddonfield New Jersey.

jv001
02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Come on guys...This is easy...Don't be like the Cy-Young voters. Zoubs is without a doubt the MOTM..Go Big Guy..Go Duke!

SCMatt33
If you pick anyone else, you're wrong. ZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

CLW
Z was the man today.

Bob Green
I've been a huge Zoubek supporter since day one and it is great to see the big man have a career day. He has worked hard, endured adversity, and persevered. Congratulations on being the Man-of-the-Match!

strawbs
02-13-2010, 03:10 PM
i never thought i'd see the day that zoubek was the best player on the floor, but today he was. great effort, great numbers, great d. GREAT JOB BIG FELLA!

fidel
02-13-2010, 03:11 PM
since I've had this much fun watching Duke down low. Go Zoubs! I'm in - a good one for unanimous!

JDev
02-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Easy one. Zoubek's best day in a Duke uniform. I am happy to say I gave Z vote #55 in this poll, which also happens to be his jersey number!

jpfrizzle
02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Z the skyscraper

EKU1969
I voted for Z for obvious reasons, but I gotta give Thomas some huge props to put that much effort into his defense after that injury! Great game all around! Two Guys from Jersey!

grossbus
A man's double/double. That was a joy to watch. :)

brumby041
And he dunked!

I knew he could do it!

Great Game, Z!

BD80
02-13-2010, 03:14 PM
If today's game doesn't make you smile, nothing will. :D

Smile? I had a tear in the corner of my eye at that one point when the crowd was just going "Crazy" for Z.

Bluedevil114
02-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Zoubek was the Man of the Match but a close second was Jon Scheyer who did an amazing job on Vasquez and had great control on the ball and on his drives making some keys plays to stop Maryland runs.

But that is what we come to expect from Jon Scheyer!! GO DUKE!!

-bdbd
ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK!
ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK! ZOU - BEK!

Not in the stats, but his D affected many other shots as well. He was a real presence.

But seriously, anybody think he'll be drafted? Muscular and smart 7-1 guys don't grow on trees! If Martin Nessley makes the League, then certainly Z has a darned good shot!

:D:D:D

mike88
It's pretty amazing that he got his 16 points almost completely from second chance points- he has really become an amazing offensive rebounder. I don't worry about him getting 1-2 fouls per game on rebounds, as that comes with his aggressiveness. By cutting down his fouls on defense and on his screens, he can stay in the game and put up these numbers.

jpfrizzle
I am happy to say I gave Z vote #55 in this poll, which also happens to be his jersey number!

...and he just so happens to be from jersey

Newton_14
02-13-2010, 03:19 PM
The Zoub Meister!!!

Great game by the big fella! He dominated the paint on both ends today. Great to see!

Go Zoubs and Go Duke!!

povarotti
02-13-2010, 03:22 PM
So moved by Zoubek today, that I finally decided to post (and vote). Amazing job by Z, on both ends, today. So proud.

killerleft
02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Zooby-Dooby-Doo!!

camion
02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
ZOUBS DUNKED!!!!!!! He did didn't he? I'm pretty sure. I don't think I was dreaming.

BlueintheFace
02-13-2010, 03:29 PM
ZOU's your daddy!!!

chrisheery
02-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Just want to point out that the vote for lance was an accident by me. Trying to hit zoubek. iPhone. My bad. Should be unanimous. Tremendous game for the big guy.

jv001
02-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Just want to point out that the vote for lance was an accident by me. Trying to hit zoubek. iPhone. My bad. Should be unanimous. Tremendous game for the big guy.

Well since it was an accident then I consider it still unanimous. Go Duke!

MB in MD
02-13-2010, 03:40 PM

c'mon mods, can't we fix this.....?

hudlow
02-13-2010, 03:40 PM

I thought it might have been his momma.:D

They all deserve a huge ovation for today.

They looked like Duke is supposed to look and that's because of what Zoub did today.

It's your day big guy!

Thank-you

JBDuke
02-13-2010, 03:42 PM

c'mon mods, can't we fix this.....?

Your wish is my command...

Of course, now someone's voted for Jon, so Brian's day is yet still not unanimous.

BleedsP287
02-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Zoubek had the best game of his career. I love it. I hope it inspires him and the team the rest of the way.

I'd still go with Scheyer though. 22 points and one turnover? Not certain we'd have won without Scheyer today.

Zoub definitely had the game that stands out most from his average. So I suppose if that's the poll I go that way. But that's not the way I interpret the question, and the most important contribution overall for the game? I pick Scheyer.

dukepsy1963
02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

licc85
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
lol i love the vote, 99% for zoubek

AdjustNation
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Zoubek had the best game of his career. I love it. I hope it inspires him and the team the rest of the way.

I'd still go with Scheyer though. 22 points and one turnover? Not certain we'd have won without Scheyer today.

Zoub definitely had the game that stands out most from his average. So I suppose if that's the poll I go that way. But that's not the way I interpret the question, and the most important contribution overall for the game? I pick Scheyer.

17Rebounds 16Points in 22 Minutes.. Nuff Said

BlueintheFace
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
alright... who messed this up... explain yourself. seriously, explain.

dukebluelemur
02-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Z got half as many rebounds as the entire twerp team combined... sure, Jon had a great game but Z DOMINATED those boards (even if half of them were his own multiple misses on tips :rolleyes: )

Indoor66
alright... who messed this up... explain yourself. seriously, explain.

Read the entire thread and you will know the answer....

jv001

Not certain that we would have won without Zoubs today. But since Jon is a great player and had a very good game not a bad 2nd choice. Go Duke!

georg004
02-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Your wish is my command...

Of course, now someone's voted for Jon, so Brian's day is yet still not unanimous.

Mr. Moderator Sir,

May I be recognized on a point of parliamentary procedure? I move that the MOM vote be made unanimous for the Zoubster by acclamation.

Seconds?

BleedsP287
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Well, if the question were "who proved they were a man today by slaying the "beast"? I'd vote for Zoub. We knew that about the big three already, and we all having been believing and waiting for Brian to show it. He surely did today. So if that's the question I'd make it unanimous. (For those who haven't seen the 'beast' video of LT and Brian in strength training, you might miss the reference...it's on DBP).

jv001
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
147 out of 148 is not half bad..Go Duke!

prefan21
02-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Mr. Moderator Sir,

May I be recognized on a point of parliamentary procedure? I move that the MOM vote be made unanimous for the Zoubster by acclamation.

Seconds?

Seconded. Thirded, even.

BlueintheFace
02-13-2010, 04:01 PM
This is why you can never get it unanimous. You get a few "fans" who didn't watch, just look at the points column of the boxscore, and cast a vote. Oh well.

cspan37421
02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
150 baby!

How long has Greg Zoubek been at Duke anyway? I remember him from the '91 team....

j/k ;-)

bird
02-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Voting for Z is not a tip of the hat to hard working player who deserves recognition, it is not sympathy for a player who had some rough times with injuries. It is not sentimental.

It is a vote for the most passionate, and influential, player on the court, with the stats to back up a claim for being the best player as well. I voted for Z the basketball player today.

I really am looking forward to the +/- stats on this game; Z's impact on the game was obvious and material, especially in the second half.

Jarhead
02-13-2010, 04:10 PM
A man's double/double. That was a joy to watch. :)

It came very close to being a doubled double/double. Coach should have left him in. He still had two fouls to give.

Battierfan01
02-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cspan37421
02-13-2010, 04:15 PM
He still had two fouls to give.

LOL!

I hope K at least asked him if he wanted to keep going until he had 5.

CameronBornAndBred
02-13-2010, 04:18 PM
It is a vote for the most passionate, and influential, player on the court, with the stats to back up a claim for being the best player as well. I voted for Z the basketball player today.
Can't be said better than that.

DukeFanInTerpLand
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I think there is a mistake in the title of this thread.

It should be titled: Zoubek of the Match vs. Maryland.

Please fix.

Thanks

CPDUKEGUY24
02-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Its an honor Z! Thank You

Go Duke

BD80
02-13-2010, 04:37 PM
... I really am looking forward to the +/- stats on this game; Z's impact on the game was obvious and material, especially in the second half.

Absolutely. MD went on a mini-run each time Z came out. Z needed to come out for breaks, and the MPs need the PT, so no complaints, but the team was clearly better with Z in there.

MChambers
02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
To Williams's credit, he had some very nice things to say about Zoubs after the game:

“No I haven’t seen Zoubek [play as well as he did]. He should be getting a lot of credit with what he’s done with himself as a basketball player from where he was as a freshman to where he is now. He is a guy that really found a way to enjoy his college basketball career, which is a great thing. It’s nice to see that happen to people and he’s doing a great job.”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204886871

HateCarolina
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Big Z!!! Those were Dwight Howardesque numbers out there today!!

BD80
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
To Williams's credit, he had some very nice things to say about Zoubs after the game:

“No I haven’t seen Zoubek [play as well as he did]. He should be getting a lot of credit with what he’s done with himself as a basketball player from where he was as a freshman to where he is now. He is a guy that really found a way to enjoy his college basketball career, which is a great thing. It’s nice to see that happen to people and he’s doing a great job.”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204886871

So Gary is clearly the most gracious of the ACC coaches named Williams?

Wow roy, that should really make you think long and hard about what you have become.

1999ballboy
02-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Pshaw. Gary was led into those comments by the reporter's question. I listened to it. Before that, he just did what he's best at for about 5 minutes: he made excuses. He went on talking about how Maryland has no one taller than 6'7 and talked about how they rebounded well against Florida State and Wake Forest but were off on the boards today. He gave Zoubek absolutely no credit until the reporter specifically asked him a question about the level of Zoubek's play. Gary Williams earns no respect from me, and rarely has he ever.

MChambers
02-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Pshaw. Gary was led into those comments by the reporter's question. I listened to it. Before that, he just did what he's best at for about 5 minutes: he made excuses. He went on talking about how Maryland has no one taller than 6'7 and talked about how they rebounded well against Florida State and Wake Forest but were off on the boards today. He gave Zoubek absolutely no credit until the reporter specifically asked him a question about the level of Zoubek's play. Gary Williams earns no respect from me, and rarely has he ever.

When I read the totality of what Gary said, it doesn't read as you describe it. Maybe it sounded different, but it reads very well. I'm no fan of Gary, but I thought these were nice words.

Nrrrrvous
02-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Just goes to show, Zoubs should've been starting all season.:D

mapei
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Gary is psychotic IMO, but Zoubs was awesome - I agree with poster above that, every time he went out, MD made a little run, every time he came back, Duke did. Most dominating performance by a single Duke player all year.

BlueintheFace
02-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Gary is psychotic IMO, but Zoubs was awesome - I agree with poster above that, every time he went out, MD made a little run, every time he came back, Duke did. Most dominating performance by a single Duke player all year.

Gary, like most successful coaches, has some oddities to his personality, but at the end of the day I believe he is the 2nd best coach in the ACC and has been for awhile. He was very complimentary of Zou and K.

Eckster
02-13-2010, 05:07 PM
The kid in the crowd with the big cardboard "Z" had it right!:D

buzz
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
WHO ZAT?!?!?

That dunk brought me joy.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Zoubek was a BEAST!

NovaScotian
02-13-2010, 06:23 PM
that said, superb game from big zed

ArkieDukie
02-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Phenomenal game by Zoubek. He was seriously the man of the match.

To follow up on the person who commented on Z's D, I'd like to point out that LT's defense was as critical as Z's. MD made all of their runs when LT and Z were on the bench. When both were in, Duke went on a run. Without their D, this game could have gone much differently.

Newton_14
02-13-2010, 07:54 PM

I have disagree. I have always viewed the poll as who was the most valuable/best player of that game. Has nothing to do with how someone performed compared to their normal average and while points scored is a factor, it should never be the end all be all factor. In most games there are 2 or more players that have a game good enough to warrant MOTM. Today was not one of those days. While Jon played a good game with 22 points, I would not say he had a "great" game. He was very solid.

On the other hand, Zoubs had a major impact on both ends of the floor and had a great game. Not a "great for him" game, but great game period. He dominated the paint on both ends all day. Which is why over 200 people who voted, believed he should have been the MOTM today.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Yesterday, when Chris Collins was asked if Zoubek would ever dunk a ball, he said something about it not being genetically possible. Obviously, that wasn't Zoubek out there today, but some alien impersonation. My only question is, why did the aliens wait 3 1/2 years to replace him?????:eek:

Jumbo
02-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Voting for Z is not a tip of the hat to hard working player who deserves recognition, it is not sympathy for a player who had some rough times with injuries. It is not sentimental.

I really am looking forward to the +/- stats on this game; Z's impact on the game was obvious and material, especially in the second half.

I'm going to run them shortly, but I think they might be surprising. I know Duke went on a 9-0 run when the Plumlees checked in together for the first time, for instance.

Jumbo
02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
And borodevil16 and NovaScotian decide to vote for Jordan Davidson and Mason Plumlee, respectively. Rebels.

NovaScotian
02-13-2010, 08:15 PM
And borodevil16 and NovaScotian decide to vote for Jordan Davidson and Mason Plumlee, respectively. Rebels.

i've been outed. this doesn't feel quite kosher. the voice of the minority still must be heard!!! i loved mason's game and thought that before we all have a love fest for big brian, let's guess how many of his boards came off his own misses AND remember how well he played against maryland last year. while statistically this was a big game for him, i, for one (and the only one, it appears), thought young mase showed HUGE progress tonight, namely in not crapping the bed between periods of inspired flashiness. here's to you, young mason! may votes in your favor never be silenced by the zoubourgeousie!!!

Jumbo
02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
i've been outed. this doesn't feel quite kosher. the voice of the minority still must be heard!!! i loved mason's game and thought that before we all have a love fest for big brian, let's guess how many of his boards came off his own misses AND remember how well he played against maryland last year. while statistically this was a big game for him, i, for one (and the only one, it appears), thought young mase showed HUGE progress tonight, namely in not crapping the bed between periods of inspired flashiness. here's to you, young mason! may votes in your favor never be silenced by the zoubourgeousie!!!

Everyone's votes are public. Just click on the number and you can see everyone who voted for each player. Zoubek missed 3 shots. So how many came off his own misses? Hilarious.

BD80
02-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Yesterday, when Chris Collins was asked if Zoubek would ever dunk a ball, he said something about it not being genetically possible. Obviously, that wasn't Zoubek out there today, but some alien impersonation. My only question is, why did the aliens wait 3 1/2 years to replace him?????:eek:

You never knew that end of the court was downhill?

Wojo can dunk at that end!

LSanders
02-13-2010, 08:24 PM
The vote is eaZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZy ... But, LT was a stud to play the way he did on that knee!!

CameronBornAndBred
02-13-2010, 08:28 PM
i, for one (and the only one, it appears), thought young mase showed HUGE progress tonight, namely in not crapping the bed between periods of inspired flashiness.
A player should not be voted MOTM for what they didn't do, but instead for what they did do.

Bob Green
02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm going to run them shortly, but I think they might be surprising. I know Duke went on a 9-0 run when the Plumlees checked in together for the first time, for instance.

Mason Plumlee scored four of the nine points. He had a dunk off a nice pass from Smith and he made two free throws. Mason played a good game at times but appeared to try and do too much a couple of times. He still needs to improve his consistency but that shouldn't suprise anyone as he is a freshman.

I taped the game and I'm rewatching it right now.

gep
02-13-2010, 11:01 PM
If anything, I thought that Brian had a very big *effect* on the outcome of the game... which is why I went with Brian. Others did have good games (we won, after all), but at both ends, Brian affected the game in very positive ways.:)

stickdog
02-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Zou's your daddy!