PDA

View Full Version : The Official Krzyzewski Career Wins Vigil (903)

throatybeard
02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
With the hullabaloo over the 1K game, I think the time has finally come when we can start counting down. Barring serious illness, assassination by Maryland fans, or unlikely rendezvouses with the New Jersey Nets, Mike Krzyzewski is around a season away from passing Dean Smith on the all-time wins list.

1) RMK 902
2) Dean 879
3) K 853, as of the Carolina game

At Dean minus 26, I think we're looking at something like the January/February border next year. A good postseason this year would accelerate that.

At Knight minus 49, you're most likely looking at something like mid 2012. Wouldn't it be awesome if Coach Knight is in the crowd for that. I think he'd do it. The PR would be superb.

Of course, you know what the Carolina fans are going to do as soon as K gets to 880. They're going to start talking about all-time wins at one school, which Dean will still hold. K had 73 wins at Army, so to make it the most at one school, K would have to keep his 25-30 pace up possibly into the 2013-14 season, maybe late 2013 season. 2014 would be his age 66-67 season. If he does that, he'd be very close to 950 wins. BTW, Dean retired a little short of his 67th birthday. (And on my 21st. FTW).

The all-time ACC wins list looks like this:

1) Dean 364
2) K 304
3) Gary Williams 178

I believe that excludes ACCT games. If someone wants to count out how many ACCT games both men have won, have at it. K has won 11 ACCTs and Dean 13, so that's 33 and 39 wins, respectively, right there just in those tournaments.

Dean minus 60 league wins is harder to forecast. Krzyzewski has one advantage and one disadvantage here. His disadvantage is that he "loses" four seasons at Army. His advantage is that he's spent more time with 14- and 16- game seasons and Dean spent more with 12- and 14-game seasons.

Six ten-win seasons would get Coach there, but then you're looking at 2016, his age 69 season. OTOH, just five twelve-win seasons would be needed.

Dean's record in the league was just obscene. He only lost 136 games; K is already at 133, and so will never have a better win percentage in the league. I guess you could argue that the ACC has been more competitive 1998-present than it was 1962-80, but I don't know if I would.

Coach is 147 wins shy of 1000. That is unlikely to occur before 2015 with even the rosiest forecast. If he coaches to age 70, I feel pretty good about 1000 wins.

Also, if K surpasses Dean, I submit that his new nickname be "The Provost." We can call him "The Chancellor," when he overtakes RMK.

cbnaylor
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Nice work. Even if K doesn't break these records for unknown reasons, he still goes down as the greatest basketball coach in my mind. "I'm a leader who happens to coach basketball"-Coach K

hurleyfor3
02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
At Dean minus 26, I think we're looking at something like the January/February border next year.

And whom do we always play in early February? Would that ever be tasty, passing Dean against them. I believe wins #500 and 600 were both against unc. #500 was the Wojo-hugging-K comeback in 1998.

The all-time ACC wins list looks like this:

1) Dean 364
2) K 304
3) Gary Williams 178

I believe that excludes ACCT games. If someone wants to count out how many ACCT games both men have won, have at it.

The ACC Media Guide (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/0910mbbmediaguide.pdf)has already done this. Going into this season, it's Dean 422, K 342.

Dean's record in the league was just obscene. He only lost 136 games; K is already at 133, and so will never have a better win percentage in the league. I guess you could argue that the ACC has been more competitive 1998-present than it was 1962-80, but I don't know if I would.

K has a higher ACC Tournament winning percentage, though: .730 (46-17) versus .716 (58-23). It's not inconceivable for K to finish with more ACC Tournament wins AND fewer losses.

I think of the ACC as being at its most competitive during the mid/late 1960s (State, Wake and USC were all pretty good, although most people just remember Duke and unc), then a quite long stretch from the late 1970s through the mid 1990s. Remember the ACC would routinely get six teams into the NCAAs as an eight-team league.

Duvall
02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Of course, you know what the Carolina fans are going to do as soon as K gets to 880. They're going to start talking about all-time wins at one school, which Dean will still hold. K had 73 wins at Army, so to make it the most at one school, K would have to keep his 25-30 pace up possibly into the 2013-14 season, maybe late 2013 season. 2014 would be his age 66-67 season. If he does that, he'd be very close to 950 wins. BTW, Dean retired a little short of his 67th birthday. (And on my 21st. FTW).

Boeheim will crush this, even if K does not. He currently has 846 wins, all at Syracuse.

SilkyJ
02-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Also, if K surpasses Dean, I submit that his new nickname be "The Provost." We can call him "The Chancellor," when he overtakes RMK.

I only subscribe to one nickname: Coach K.

hurleyfor3
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Boeheim will crush this, even if K does not. He currently has 846 wins, all at Syracuse.

So Boeheim's only seven behind K rightthisverymoment? With all the various Eddie Suttons, Lute Olsons and Jim Calhouns dropping like flies or threatening to I had been thinking K's "competition" had completely been thinned out. He might pass K this year!

throatybeard
02-12-2010, 04:25 PM
The ACC Media Guide (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/0910mbbmediaguide.pdf)has already done this. Going into this season, it's Dean 422, K 342.

Dean minus 80 instead of Dean minus 60. That makes it tougher. Supposing an average season of 12-4 plus an average of two ACCT wins, you're looking at five full seasons just to get 70. And 12-4 is pretty lofty. This might require K to outlast Dean by an age-season or two.

Wait, those numbers don't add up. If he has 304 RS and 46 ACCT, that's 350, not 342. Oh, OK, that doesn't include the 8 RS wins this year. So it's 422 to 350 right now. Let's ballpark Duke at a 4-2 finish in the league and a 2-1 ACCT. Could be better than that, but he'd finish this year trailing by about 66 ACC RS + T wins. I still think we're looking at 2014 at the earliest, his age 67 season.

Come to think, how many NCAAT games did they play against league teams? How many "league wins" does Dean "lose" not having the Big 4 tournament counted? How many times have ACC teams played each other in a non-conference game in the RS, as we did GT in 1994-95? Well, this is getting a little silly.

Duvall
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
So Boeheim's only seven behind K rightthisverymoment? With all the various Eddie Suttons, Lute Olsons and Jim Calhouns dropping like flies or threatening to I had been thinking K's "competition" had completely been thinned out. He might pass K this year!

No, I think I was mistaken. He has 823 wins.

Serves me right for getting my information from Wikipedia.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Basketball_Division_I_Coaches_Wins_Li st) shows Boeheim with 823 through Wednesday.

hurleyfor3
02-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Come to think, how many NCAAT games did they play against league teams? How many "league wins" does Dean "lose" not having the Big 4 tournament counted? How many times have ACC teams played each other in a non-conference game in the RS, as we did GT in 1994-95? Well, this is getting a little silly.

Don't know about the true regular season, but Dean has one other "off the grid" win against an ACC opponent: Virginia in the 1981 national semifinal.

CameronBlue
02-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Don't know about the true regular season, but Dean has one other "off the grid" win against an ACC opponent: Virginia in the 1981 national semifinal.

And another against Duke in the 1971 NIT. Duke went 1-3 against the Tools that year.

moonpie23
02-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Of course, you know what the Carolina fans are going to do as soon as K gets to 880. They're going to start talking about all-time wins at one school,

that gift card has already expired when Coach Knight ran the nose down....

they can say whatever they want, but it's a big deal and has ALWAYS been a big deal that deano had that record....

it's gonna chap the tarholes good if it it happens....

-bdbd
02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
throatybeard: "...Mike Krzyzewski is around a season away from passing Dean Smith on the all-time wins list.
1) RMK 902
2) Dean 879
3) K 853, as of the Carolina game
At Dean minus 26, I think we're looking at something like the January/February border next year. A good postseason this year would accelerate that.

At Knight minus 49, you're most likely looking at something like mid 2012. Wouldn't it be awesome if Coach Knight is in the crowd for that. I think he'd do it. The PR would be superb.

Of course, you know what the Carolina fans are going to do as soon as K gets to 880. They're going to start talking about all-time wins at one school, which Dean will still hold.

...I guess you could argue that the ACC has been more competitive 1998-present than it was 1962-80, but I don't know if I would.

Coach is 147 wins shy of 1000. That is unlikely to occur before 2015 with even the rosiest forecast. If he coaches to age 70, I feel pretty good about 1000 wins. "

================================================== =====================================

DEAN WHO??? Throaty, kudos on the string, but I object to the title. Who ever worries about surpassing #2??? The "pursuit," if it is such a thing, is targeting RMK, The General, and first place all-time.

But yes, the heels will have some nit-picking way to focus away from K's achievement -- e.g. he's coached during a period of longer seasons, he's got a lower ACC win percentage, etc. But they'll know they've been beaten, regardles. :rolleyes: :D A pretty tough pill for the snooty "entitlement" crowd there. BTW, another theme will soon pop up along the lines of "How soon 'till 'ole Roy passes K..."

In any event, I will predict now, that the day of the game when K is about to pass The Nose, the N&O will have a front-of-the-Sports-section headline/write-up on "Dean vs K" and focusing on every needling way that Dean was supposedly superior. It would just be so much in character for them.

Regarding relative league competitiveness, I would argue that NATIONALLY there was generally much less competitiveness before circa-1980, when the NCAA took off in the age of ESPN. The talent pool simply wasn't as deep then, as opposed to now with all of the camps, AAU teams, TV showing all of the games (spurring interest and showing star player's moves to be mimicked), plus big-money NBA dreams, etc. In the 1950's, 1960's, and even into the 1970's it was much easier for a coach to bring in a few top-calibur players and then dominate much less talented teams -- think UCLA, KY, UNC and just a few others.

ALSO, IMPORTANTLY, K HAS SUFFERED BY COMPARISON TO DEAN B/C DURING HIS "ERA" OF DOMINANCE MANY OF HIS BEST RECRUITED PLAYERS HAVE LEFT EARLY OR EVEN WENT STRAIGHT TO THE PRO'S. NOT SOMETHING EL DEANO HAD TO CONFRONT UNTIL THE VERY END. How many more wins would K have if he'd had Deng and Magette for another three years, Kobe and Sean Livingston for four, Brand and Avery for another two, and Jay Wil and Dunleavy for another one. We're probably talking another 2+ NC's in that mix...

Always very hard to compare eras, obviously.

:cool:

Newton_14
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM

K has a higher ACC Tournament winning percentage, though: .730 (46-17) versus .716 (58-23). It's not inconceivable for K to finish with more ACC Tournament wins AND fewer losses.

The math is off. If K has 304 ACC Reg Season wins, and 46 ACC Tourney wins, then his total is 350, not 342.

hurleyfor3
02-13-2010, 12:10 AM
The math is off. If K has 304 ACC Reg Season wins, and 46 ACC Tourney wins, then his total is 350, not 342.

I tried to make it pretty clear those totals were going into this season.

throatybeard
02-23-2010, 08:34 AM
If next year's team is good, I'm beginning to think it more or less impossible that Krzyzewski passes Smith in a game against the Tar Heels. The "problem" is that we're doing too well this year.

He's at 856, or Dean minus 23. We have four regular season games left; let's assume we lose at Maryland and win the rest. Let's also assume about 5 postseason wins, 2.5 in the ACCT and 2.5 in the NCAAT, just as a working o/u. This would put Coach in the neighborhood of 864 going into next year, Dean minus 15. We don't know what will happen, but this is a reasonable working assumption.

The first Carolina game is delayed out of a "natural" rotation in the ACC because, realizing football is bigger than basketball in this country, ESPN likes to promote rivalry week or something like it the week after the Super Bowl. So this year, Carolina was our 24th game on the schedule. The 15th game was at Georgia Tech and the 16th home with Boston College. If we have our usual one-, two- or three-loss early season, this only gets win 880 somewhere into mid- or late January. Even in 1995, we were 9-2 going into Coach K's last game that year, the first league game, home with Clemson.

It's not impossible that we'd be something like 15-8 going into next year's Carolina game. But we'd all like to think the 2011 MBB team will be better than that.

airowe
02-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Coach just passed the schnozz in ACC Road Wins:

- Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski moved past former North Carolina head coach Dean Smith for the most ACC road victories in conference history on Sunday. Krzyzewski earned his 134th career ACC road win and is now 134-86 (.609) all-time on the road in league play.

hurleyfor3
03-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Going into the Final Four it's now

Knight 902 (K+36)
Dean 879 (K+13)
K 866

With our postseason success it's reasonable to project passing Dean right around the start of conference play next year, and passing Knight rather early in the 2011-12 season.

Matches
03-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Not totally out of the question that K could pass RMK late next season. Would it be better for it to happen in a late-round NCAA tournament game (where it be more dramatic but might also be a distraction), or in an early-season game the next season?

OldPhiKap
03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Going into the Final Four it's now

Knight 902 (K+36)
Dean 879 (K+13)
K 866

With our postseason success it's reasonable to project passing Dean right around the start of conference play next year, and passing Knight rather early in the 2011-12 season.

Two more wins this year, 33 next year, and K catches Knight in next year's FF.

Just sayin'

phaedrus
03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
The earlier the better. I don't like losing games.

msdukie
03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Not totally out of the question that K could pass RMK late next season. Would it be better for it to happen in a late-round NCAA tournament game (where it be more dramatic but might also be a distraction), or in an early-season game the next season?

A late-round NCAA game. That means we are still playing and still winning.

cato
03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

Well, it would definitely be better for it happen next year, since that would require either additional Ws this year plus an outstanding season next year, or a near perfect season next year.

That said, I agree that it could be a distraction, but carts-horse, problems-you-would-love-to-have, and all that.

CDu
03-31-2010, 01:43 PM

EDIT: nevermind. I can't read post dates.

hurleyfor3
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
All JJ's records certainly seemed like a distraction in 2006. But I think it's less of an issue with a coach. Anyway, if this is comes up late next year there will like be other topics at hand too (you do the math assuming a certain result this year).

-bdbd
03-31-2010, 02:38 PM

It seems a bit optimistic to expect/count on apx 35-36 wins next year. Would be nice, but the realistic expectation would be early in the 11-12 season. That is ok by me - same for the passing of Dean-o next year - better to have it in December when the distraction is most unlikely to impact an important game, etc. Keep in mind, while we should have a strong team next year, we also will be replacing three key starters and lots of leadership, and breaking in 4-5 new players. I'd be thrilled to get 30 wins (though we can always hope for more...). ;)

Can't wait to see how the NC media plays K passing Dean eight months from now. I can see the ho-hum N&O response already... Or a simultaneous editorial from one of their UNC-grad editors critical about the use of foul language by college coaches today... HA!

Go Duke!

hurleyfor3
03-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Can't wait to see how the NC media plays K passing Dean eight months from now. I can see the ho-hum N&O response already... Or a simultaneous editorial from one of their UNC-grad editors critical about the use of foul language by college coaches today... HA!

The arguments will be something like:

* yeah but Dean didn't play as many games per year (true but their careers overlapped for 16 years)
* yeah but Dean has more class/character/other intangible thing that is impossible to quantify so can't be argued with
* yeah but Dean brought more innovations to the game (true, but one of those marvelous innovations led to a scoreless half, and by the time K came around there were fewer things to "invent")
* yeah but Dean was a better recruiter (but his "superior" players won fewer national championships than K's did)
* yeah but Dean was a better bench coach (perhaps but the game's most famous perfectly-executed play was drawn up by K)

and so on.

mehmattski
03-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Of course, many UNC fans like to point out Coach K's winning percentage is "fraudulently" decreased because of the losses K "ducked out of" in 1995 due to his "poor health."

But, if Duke's record were somehow changed to attribute the Pete Gaudet games to Coach K, it would mean that Coach K would pass Dean Smith four games earlier!

JStuart
03-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Of course, many UNC fans like to point out Coach K's winning percentage is "fraudulently" decreased because of the losses K "ducked out of" in 1995 due to his "poor health."

But, if Duke's record were somehow changed to attribute the Pete Gaudet games to Coach K, it would mean that Coach K would pass Dean Smith four games earlier!

Yes, Yes, Yes! Stick this note at the top of the boards! Will drive the UNC fans crazy.

oldnavy
03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Two more wins this year, 33 next year, and K catches Knight in next year's FF.

Just sayin'

K passes RMK by winning the natty next year for his 5th? Should he just retire right there on the podium? I never want him to retire, but talk about a chance to go out on top!! WOW!

OldPhiKap
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM
K passes RMK by winning the natty next year for his 5th? Should he just retire right there on the podium? I never want him to retire, but talk about a chance to go out on top!! WOW!

I said Knight, I should have said Dean. So maybe three or four NC's in a row (whatever it would take to pass Knight), then maybe think about calling it a career.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 06:02 PM

That would be a great way to go out, but if Kyrie stays and Seth and the Plummees, Dre all day, Kelly, our promising recruits. you would have to think he can go for #6

CDu
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We're still two wins away from Coach K's 4th. I doubt the Gods like this kind of talk. Win on Saturday, then we can talk about winning #4. Win on Saturday AND win on Monday, then we can talk about how cool it would be to win #5 and break Knight's record.

msdukie
03-31-2010, 06:40 PM
I said Knight, I should have said Dean. So maybe three or four NC's in a row (whatever it would take to pass Knight), then maybe think about calling it a career.

There seems to be some confusion above. K and Knight both have 3 NCs. So K will have an opporunity to pass Knight in NCs IF Duke wins two more games this year (and tie Rupp, moving into second place behind Wooden - 10). Either at the end of next year or early the following year, K would break Knight's record for most Division I Men's Basketball wins.

Of course, until K wins 880 games AT Duke, Carolina won't recognize an accomplishment over Dean. That is the ultimate goal and K is closing in on 800 Duke wins.

throatybeard
04-06-2010, 12:44 PM
This season-ending ten-game winning streak has put Mike Krzyzewski at 868 wins. As noted everywhere, four titles moves him past his friend and mentor.

Barring illness or anything like that, Coach will pass Adolph Rupp very early in the season, as trails Rupp by just nine wins. 880 should come before the end of calendar 2010, unless the bottom falls out or something.

Passing RMK in wins in 2010-11 is unlikely but just within the realm of possible. Coach needs 35 wins to do that. We went 35-5 this year.

Delaware
04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
This season-ending ten-game winning streak has put Mike Krzyzewski at 868 wins. As noted everywhere, four titles moves him past his friend and mentor.

Barring illness or anything like that, Coach will pass Adolph Rupp very early in the season, as trails Rupp by just nine wins. 880 should come before the end of calendar 2010, unless the bottom falls out or something.

Passing RMK in wins in 2010-11 is unlikely but just within the realm of possible. Coach needs 35 wins to do that. We went 35-5 this year.

Perhaps in the NCAA title game ... back to back! (I can dream!)

jipops
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM
What will be interesting is how K handles all this hullabaloo. He's certainly going to want more focus on the team that is current at that time instead of something that relates to what has occurred in the past.

Clipsfan
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM

I honestly don't care whether K passes him next season - what I care about most is getting those 10 game win streaks to end the season (beat UNC, win ACC Tourney, win NCAA tourney). There is little doubt that unless something completely unexpected happens that K will end up passing him. 10 game win steaks at the end of the season are a little less certain, but oh so fun.

davekay1971
04-06-2010, 12:58 PM
K has already left Deano in the dust in every meaningful way. There's simply no argument or comparison anymore, except from irrational Tarhole fans. When he passes Deano in wins, it'll just be putting a little more dirt on the grave of that comparison.

Matches
04-06-2010, 12:58 PM
What will be interesting is how K handles all this hullabaloo. He's certainly going to want more focus on the team that is current at that time instead of something that relates to what has occurred in the past.

I doubt he'll have much to say about passing Dean. That'll be a significant story locally but probably not nationally. Dean isn't the record-holder, after all.

Passing RMK will be the big event. Though I'd love to see us win 35 games next season, I'd almost rather not have the team deal with that kind of distraction next March.

Clipsfan
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I doubt he'll have much to say about passing Dean. That'll be a significant story locally but probably not nationally. Dean isn't the record-holder, after all.

Passing RMK will be the big event. Though I'd love to see us win 35 games next season, I'd almost rather not have the team deal with that kind of distraction next March.

That sort of distraction next March will mean that Duke's having a tremendous season. I'm all for the great season, and think that the staff can deal with the distraction.

oldnavy
04-06-2010, 01:11 PM
That sort of distraction next March will mean that Duke's having a tremendous season. I'm all for the great season, and think that the staff can deal with the distraction.

Yea, I had a hard time following that logic as well, "Let's not win 35 games and another Natty because it would be a distraction"... seems a little too cautious to me...

If Kyle comes back next's years team could even surpass this years team... IMHO.

hurleyfor3
04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
So we start the 2011 season at

Knight 902 (K+34)
Dean 879 (K+11)
K 868

K still trails Wooden by one, and is tied with Dean, for Final Fours (12/11/11).

He trails Wooden, and is tied with Dean, for Final Four games coached (24/19/19), although Wooden and Dean's totals are inflated from third place games.

The "active coach NCAA Tournament winning percentage" leaderboard has shifted after this year's tournament, although of course it has not changed at the top. It stands at

K .778 (77-22 6-0)
Izzo .761 (35-12 4-1)
Roy .753 (55-18 division by zero error)
Donovan .733 (22-8 0-1)
Pitino .731 (38-14 0-1)
Calhoun .705 (43-18 division by zero error)
Self .694 (25-11 1-1)

By missing the Tournament, Roy passed Donovan and Pitino but dropped behind Izzo. You may wonder about Steve Fisher; after going 0-1 this year at SDSU he has a total record of 20-9 (.690) and a "non-vacated game" record of .700 (14-6). The NCAA says you need 10 games to qualify; Brad Stevens is at 6-3.

Finally, 4>2.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Hopefully he breaks Knights win record next year, while also putting him in lone 2nd place with 5 national titles.

blueprofessor
04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
and 38 straight NCAA tourney games.

10 NCs x 2 = 20
1962 4th place finish= 1 game won in FF
1974 3rd place finish =2 games won in FF

Best regards. Blueprofessor :)

CDu
04-06-2010, 06:56 PM
and 38 straight NCAA tourney games.

10 NCs x 2 = 20
1962 4th place finish= 1 game won in FF
1974 3rd place finish =2 games won in FF

Best regards. Blueprofessor :)

Wouldn't that be 21 Final Four wins? A 4th-place finish in the Final Four means you lost both games. A 3rd-place finish means you lost the Final Four game and won the consolation game.

So Wooden would have played 24 games in the Final Four and won 21 of them, right?

blueprofessor
04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Wouldn't that be 21 Final Four wins? A 4th-place finish in the Final Four means you lost both games. A 3rd-place finish means you lost the Final Four game and won the consolation game.

So Wooden would have played 24 games in the Final Four and won 21 of them, right?

Thanks,CDu! You are correct. Wooden had 21 wins in Final Four. Sorry for math deficiency. K has 12 wins in FF---hope I got this sum right!

Best regards. Blue " newly enrolled in remedial math and glad my students do not know my DBR identity" Prof:D

CDu
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks,CDu! You are correct. Wooden had 21 wins in Final Four. Sorry for math deficiency. K has 12 wins in FF---hope I got this sum right!

Best regards. Blue " newly enrolled in remedial math and glad my students do not know my DBR identity" Prof:D

No sweat. The big difference between Coach K and Wooden is that when Wooden's teams made the Final, they won it. Wooden is 10-0 in the championship game compared to Krzyzewski's 4-4. Basically, in every other aspect you can make the argument for Coach K on a par with or over Wooden (especially when you consider the parity in college basketball as compared to 40-50 years ago). If Wooden had gone 5-5, the two are virtually indistinguishable.

blueprofessor
04-06-2010, 08:00 PM
No sweat. The big difference between Coach K and Wooden is that when Wooden's teams made the Final, they won it. Wooden is 10-0 in the championship game compared to Krzyzewski's 4-4. Basically, in every other aspect you can make the argument for Coach K on a par with or over Wooden (especially when you consider the parity in college basketball as compared to 40-50 years ago). If Wooden had gone 5-5, the two are virtually indistinguishable.

Or maybe 6--6, because of the extreme difficulty now of just getting to the FF.
I have taken part of my post from "Why K is the best coach ever" thread:

UCLA , until the NC in 1975 under Wooden, only had to win 2 games ( the tourney was small and regions did not have teams from other regions transported so that all regions would have somewhat similar depths of talent) to get to the Final Four.

K's achievement of reaching 11 FFs outstrips Wooden's reaching 12, but Wooden was pure gold once he got to the FF.

Here are Coach Wooden's 2 opponents he beat to reach the FF in his first 9 NCs before 1975, his last (10th) NC:
1964:Seattle and San Francisco
1965: BYU and San Francisco
1967: Wyoming and Pacific
1968: New Mexico State and Santa Clara
1969: same as 1968
1970: Long Beach State and Utah State
1971: BYU and Long Beach State
1972: Weber State and Long Beach State
1973: Arizona State and San Francisco

Then,1975: Michigan, Montana, and Arizona State

On a few occasions USC (ranked 2nd in nation in 1971, for instance) was the second best team in the West but could not go to the tourney because of the limit of one team from the conference.

Best regards. Blueprofesor:)

throatybeard
11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
With the win over Princeton last night, it now looks like this:

1) RMK 902
2) Smith 879
3) Rupp 876
4) Krzyzewski 869

Upcoming games:

1) Miami-OH
2) Colgate
3) Marquette
4) Gonzaga or KSU
5) Oregon
6) Michigan State
7) Butler
8) Bradley
9) SLU
10) Elon
11) UNCG

Let's ignore Rupp for a moment: what this means is that it is possible for Krzyzewski to tie, but not pass Dean in 2010; even if we were to win out (on which I'm not laying money), he couldn't pass 879 before the new year.

Next come:

11) Miami
12) UAB
13) Maryland
14) at FSU
15) Virginia

You figure it'll come in this stretch. A lot of is expected of this team, so I think losses to Butler, Michigan State, KSU/Gonzaga, and maybe one other are a reasonable guesstimate for the the performance floor for the fall semester. That would put us at 8-4 going into January. Point being, each loss would push win #880 a game later in the second list. Undefeated at the end of the year, #880 is Miami if we beat Miami. One loss in 2010, and a win over Miami, means #880 is UAB if we beat UAB. And so forth.

The reason I bring this up is I think everyone wants to see this happen at home and not in a three-quarters full Leon County Civic Center. I think we lucked out with the schedule, having four home games in five in the [probable] most relevant stratch of games. After that stretch, we go to Wake Forest and State, and there's only one more home game in January.

So bottom line, root for Duke to go undefeated the rest of 2010 against a quite hard schedule. But if that doesn't happen, root that our record isn't exactly 11-4 after playing Maryland, because then it could happen in Tallahassee.

It is highly likely that Krzyzewski will pass Smith before his sixty-fourth birthday.

This is really exciting. I remember the first time I sat down with a calculator and estimated X seasons of Y years, when might he pass Dean and how old would he be. It was my senior year, 1997-98, and I suppose I did it because Dean had just retired. (RMK hadn't passed him yet). I don't remember what I came up with, but I think I underestimated the number of 29, 30, 30+ win seasons Duke has had. At any rate, dates like 2011 still seemed like "the future" in a Warner Brothers cartoon.

Lord Ash
11-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Throaty, thanks for the breakdown... I have a feeling he will have a shot at breaking Dean's record at home:) Thanks for that!

SCMatt33
11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
This is really exciting. I remember the first time I sat down with a calculator and estimated X seasons of Y years, when might he pass Dean and how old would he be. It was my senior year, 1997-98, and I suppose I did it because Dean had just retired. (RMK hadn't passed him yet). I don't remember what I came up with, but I think I underestimated the number of 29, 30, 30+ win seasons Duke has had. At any rate, dates like 2011 still seemed like "the future" in a Warner Brothers cartoon.

Two things strike me that you likely missed back then. First, It was impossible to know that the NCAA would change the in-season tournament rule, making it possible for Duke to play in 30 or 31 games for most years in the last decade. Second, it would have been nearly impossible to predict the ACC tourney run that Duke has had since '98 and the ridiculous number of 1 seeds. I don't think that you could predict in 1998 that Duke would set the record for wins in a decade.

CEF1959
11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
You figure it'll come in this stretch. A lot of is expected of this team, so I think losses to Butler, Michigan State, KSU/Gonzaga, and maybe one other are a reasonable guesstimate for the the performance floor for the fall semester. That would put us at 8-4 going into January.
The reason I bring this up is I think everyone wants to see this happen at home and not in a three-quarters full Leon County Civic Center.

Mostly agree with the post, but two nits to pick.

1. I don't think Duke will be 8-4 on January 1. One loss seems more realistic. Four would be very disappointing.
2. I don't want K to get any record at home enough to hope they lose just to set up an at-home victory party.

cato
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Mostly agree with the post, but two nits to pick.

1. I don't think Duke will be 8-4 on January 1. One loss seems more realistic. Four would be very disappointing.
2. I don't want K to get any record at home enough to hope they lose just to set up an at-home victory party.

Throaty didn't say that he thought this team would lose 4 games before the new year. He simply used that was a reasonable performance floor. Not quite a worst-case-scenario, but an unlikely but still plausible outcome.

JasonEvans
11-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Fabulous stuff, my furry-faced-friend!

Wondering-- does anyone think the media will do more than give a passing mention to K passing Rupp? I suspect K passing Dean will get some attention in the triangle, but not outside it. Obviously, the pursuit of Knight will be big headlines and a Sportscenter feature as we get closer.

Unlike Knight -- who IIRC took a few games to tie or pass (I forget which) the record resulting in Sportscenter focusing on it for something like a week -- I hope K steamrolls through the record without a bump in the road ;)

-Jason "I suspect we will see a lot of media attention again in a few years when K goes for win #1000" Evans

BD80
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
... -Jason "I suspect we will see a lot of media attention again in a few years when K goes for win #1000" Evans

That would be early in the ACC season 2014? Maybe the 1st carolina game that spring?

Eternal Outlaw
11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
With the win over Princeton last night, it now looks like this:

1) RMK 902
2) Smith 879
3) Rupp 876
4) Krzyzewski 869

Upcoming games:

1) Miami-OH
2) Colgate
3) Marquette
4) Gonzaga or KSU
5) Michigan State
6) Butler
7) Bradley
8) SLU
9) Elon
10) UNCG

Let's ignore Rupp for a moment: what this means is that it is possible for Krzyzewski to tie, but not pass Dean in 2010; even if we were to win out (on which I'm not laying money), he couldn't pass 879 before the new year.

Next come:

11) Miami
12) UAB
13) Maryland
14) at FSU
15) Virginia

You figure it'll come in this stretch. A lot of is expected of this team, so I think losses to Butler, Michigan State, KSU/Gonzaga, and maybe one other are a reasonable guesstimate for the the performance floor for the fall semester. That would put us at 8-4 going into January. Point being, each loss would push win #880 a game later in the second list. Undefeated at the end of the year, #880 is Miami if we beat Miami. One loss in 2010, and a win over Miami, means #880 is UAB if we beat UAB. And so forth.

The reason I bring this up is I think everyone wants to see this happen at home and not in a three-quarters full Leon County Civic Center. I think we lucked out with the schedule, having four home games in five in the [probable] most relevant stratch of games. After that stretch, we go to Wake Forest and State, and there's only one more home game in January.

So bottom line, root for Duke to go undefeated the rest of 2010 against a quite hard schedule. But if that doesn't happen, root that our record isn't exactly 11-4 after playing Maryland, because then it could happen in Tallahassee.

It is highly likely that Krzyzewski will pass Smith before his sixty-fourth birthday.

You are missing the Oregon game between 4 and 5.

throatybeard
11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
You are missing the Oregon game between 4 and 5.

Crap. I'm going to go back and edit the original post.

ETA: My numbers are still correct, because I kept counting on the real schedule, not my busted list.

msdukie
11-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Crap. I'm going to go back and edit the original post.

ETA: My numbers are still correct, because I kept counting on the real schedule, not my busted list.

K can pass Dean in 2010 - UNC-G game.

But, let's just take this one game at a time.

moonpie23
11-16-2010, 08:20 AM
So bottom line, root for Duke to go undefeated the rest of 2010 a
[/QUOTE]

uhhhhh....no problem.....

here's eddie izzard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAOLOGGftTY) with some similar choices....

a little salty language, but a great bit....

nocilla
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
K can pass Dean in 2010 - UNC-G game.

But, let's just take this one game at a time.

That is what I counted as well. I agree about taking it one game at a time but it is fun to speculate too. So reasonable expectation is for us to lose at least one of Marq, KSU/Gonz, MSU, Butler which would put it at the Miami game. We would have to lose all 4 of those (or any 4 really) for the game to be at FSU. As long as we lose less than 4 games by Jan 9, it will be in the 3 game home stretch of Miami, UAB, and UM. If we are undefeated, it will be in Greensboro.

*Maybe I need to be looking for tickets to the UNCG game...

DevilWolf
12-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I loved the article and hope they keep the countdown going all season based on what happens in our games as we move forward. It's fun to look ahead. But they need to fix the ACC tournament as the projection has us playing 4 games in Greensboro. While they were careful to say this is not a prediction of what will happen by any means, I think it's definitely safe to say we won't play four games in the ACC tournament.

nocilla
12-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I was going to point out the same thing. In order to play 4 games in the ACC tournament we would have to play in the opening round which means we finished no better than 5th in the league right? If we are 5th in the league then we don't need to worry about him passing Knight this year.

I do see it as doable though. If we have say 3 losses going into postseason play then we need 7 more wins from the ACC and NCAA tournaments. That would be a great season and probably means we won the ACC tournament and made the Final Four. I know it's way to early to speculate about that but we are headed in the right direction and should be a great ride.

-bdbd
12-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I do see it as doable though. If we have say 3 losses going into postseason play then we need 7 more wins from the ACC and NCAA tournaments. That would be a great season and probably means we won the ACC tournament and made the Final Four. I know it's way to early to speculate about that but we are headed in the right direction and should be a great ride.

I thought the article, projection was VERY helpful. Thanks DBR!

I think the easiest way to look at it is simply this: If Duke were to go undefeated (unlikely) then K breaks Knight's record in the NCAAT first round. Each loss this season pushes that date back one game (assuming no early-out in ACCT or NCAAT). So if, for example, Duke loses 5 games this season, then K won't break Knight's record for #1 until/unless we win the National Championship in Houston. That works for me... ;)

It is certainly do-able. But obviously we can't lose more than five this year and then break the record in 2010-2011. Gotta stay focused.

- BD "Can't wait for the Dec. 29th date to break Deano's figure (or soon thereafter)" BD

gus
12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
After another couple of wins, I think Duke should petition to add the 1995 season back to Coach K's record. The four wins will push K past Dean in the most unceremonious of ways, and we can witness mass apoplexy among the more rabid of UNC fans.

throatybeard
12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Julian has put it in chart form for us:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=36973

That UNCG game is looking more and more interesting with each win. And I'll be in North Carolina!

hurleyfor3
12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
After another couple of wins, I think Duke should petition to add the 1995 season back to Coach K's record. The four wins will push K past Dean in the most unceremonious of ways, and we can witness mass apoplexy among the more rabid of UNC fans.

There was no "petitioning" involved in the first place, of course. The athletic department can just add them back by fiat.

(For the umpteenth time, the truth is the buck here stops with K, not the school and not the NCAA. K has said he would accept all the losses, but none of the wins, but the NCAA has no provision for doing this as far as its own records are concerned.)

jimrowe0
12-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Julian has put it in chart form for us:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=36973

That UNCG game is looking more and more interesting with each win. And I'll be in North Carolina!

Thats why I already got my tickets for that game. K passing Smith...priceless

Orange&BlackSheep
12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I thought the article, projection was VERY helpful. Thanks DBR!

I think the easiest way to look at it is simply this: If Duke were to go undefeated (unlikely) then K breaks Knight's record in the NCAAT first round. Each loss this season pushes that date back one game (assuming no early-out in ACCT or NCAAT). So if, for example, Duke loses 5 games this season, then K won't break Knight's record for #1 until/unless we win the National Championship in Houston. That works for me... ;)

It is certainly do-able. But obviously we can't lose more than five this year and then break the record in 2010-2011. Gotta stay focused.

- BD "Can't wait for the Dec. 29th date to break Deano's figure (or soon thereafter)" BD

Remember that one of those losses can't be early in the ACC tournament or that will reduce the number of games.

tieguy
12-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Remember that one of those losses can't be early in the ACC tournament or that will reduce the number of games.

Ditto NCAAs, of course. Still, if we go 29-2 (Pomeroy's prediction for the regular season) and make it to the ACC title game and NCAA Final Four, that would be enough, even if we lose in the ACC title game and national semi-final.

This all assumes we're injury-free; so far, so good, but last night was a bit scary in that respect, no? We've been pretty lucky in injuries the past few years and I hope that doesn't come back to bit us this year.

jdj4duke
12-02-2010, 04:47 PM

That would be the best icing on the holiday cake. They constantly yammer about faking the back injury to avoid the losses, but not one word about giving up the wins. I like your idea. A lot.

The UNC fans are spending more time talking about Duke than the Heels. As Flounder said, "Boy is this GREAT!"

Mal
12-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Ha! Although, I tend to think the hype and attention it would get occurring in an actual nationally televised game, right out in the open, might still be better in terms of torturing Chapel Hill.

First prize, I think, is if we were to lose four regular season games and the ACC title game, and then have Krzyzewski pass Smith in the national championship game, winning his fifth title and putting him on even footing with John Wooden in the mass public perception (I think he's typically still seen as occupying a rung just a little lower, although above everyone else).

Given how our guys have looked the first three weeks of play, and given the way the rest of the ACC looks so far, I might have to give up that dream, though. Looks right now like I might be a touch disappointed if this team has five losses going into the NCAA tournament.

LSanders
12-03-2010, 04:18 AM
BTW, another theme will soon pop up along the lines of "How soon 'till 'ole Roy passes K..."

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! :D :D :D

Gotta catch my breath ... That was a good one!!

nocilla
12-03-2010, 08:31 AM
First prize, I think, is if we were to lose four regular season games and the ACC title game, and then have Krzyzewski pass Smith in the national championship game, winning his fifth title...

Just to clarify, in this scenario K would be passing Knight in the Championship game. He currently only needs 5 more wins to pass Dean.

Mal
12-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Just to clarify, in this scenario K would be passing Knight in the Championship game. He currently only needs 5 more wins to pass Dean.

Yep, typo, sorry, mixing my milestone names. I was talking about both events.

My guess is that it's actually going to be just as hard, if not harder, for a lot of UNC fans to take K passing Knight to become the all-time D-I leader as it will be to see him pass Deano. "2nd, 3rd, what's the difference? They're pretty much equivalent." Plus, passing Smith's been on the horizon longer for them, and everyone knew over a year ago it'd be happening this season. Passing Knight either happens very late this season, meaning we're in the mix for a title again, or very early next season, meaning we get all the attention from Day 1 and every game all year they'll have to hear how K just became the all-time leader a few weeks/months ago.

Jarhead
12-03-2010, 10:16 AM
A minor adjustment is in order for Julian's chart (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=36973). It
shows Duke playing four games in the ACC tourney.
If Duke plays in that first round, there is no way for
the wins to be 899. To earn that not so lofty seed
in the tourney would indicate maybe seven or more
losses in ACC season play. Yeah, like that's going
to happen. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/45.gif

msdukie
12-03-2010, 11:39 PM
I think the easiest way to look at it is simply this: If Duke were to go undefeated (unlikely) then K breaks Knight's record in the NCAAT first round.

Actually, this is not correct. There is no way that Duke can have enough wins by this point in the season and play in the NCAA First Round. If Duke plays in the First Round and does not instead have a bye to the NCAA Second Round, we are not going to have the season we want to have. (Remember, the Round of 64 is now called the Second Round ;) )

hurleyfor3
12-04-2010, 08:17 AM
(Remember, the Round of 64 is now called the Second Round ;) )

We need to call the set of play-in games the Zeroth Round or something.

JMarley50
12-04-2010, 10:17 AM
We need to call the set of play-in games the Zeroth Round or something.

I'm sure by the time the NCAA gets done naming it, it will be called something along the lines of the "Capital One/Outback/Reese Cup/New Era Pinstripe Prelude to a National Championship Round" :rolleyes:

And I'm sure the court will be covered completely with slippery advertisements!

msdukie
12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Officially, those games are now called the NCAA First Round. It is also called the NCAA First Four, since there are four games.

MulletMan
12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
And with today's win, K ties Rupp at 876.

SupaDave
12-04-2010, 06:05 PM
And with today's win, K ties Rupp at 876.

New Jersey has been very good to K...

hurleyfor3
12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Officially, those games are now called the NCAA First Round. It is also called the NCAA First Four, since there are four games.

Wait... the "First Four" is eight teams. To be mathematically consistent, the national semifinal games played three Saturdays later should now be called the Final Two. Has nobody else noticed this?

M B Walker
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Wait... the "First Four" is eight teams. To be mathematically consistent, the national semifinal games played three Saturdays later should now be called the Final Two. Has nobody else noticed this?

Final Three, actually. Since there's no longer a consolation game, they play three games.

OTOH, since when has the NCAA been consistent about anything?

dball
12-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Believe First Four refers to first four games. Labeled that (by sports outlets) to sound similar to the Final Four (teams). Believe NCAA refers to it as the first round.

moonpie23
12-08-2010, 11:09 PM
such a phenomenal career...

Thanks for coming to duke (and sticking with duke)

shoutingncu
12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Haven't read through this thread and probably won't re-visit it much after commenting, but I hadn't realized that it was practically upon us (I knew it was this season, just not month two)...

So as a person who likes to point to numbers to correlate facts, I will give my honest (if not heartfelt) congratulations to Coach Krzyzewski (spelled out just to prove to myself I could do it).

Now if only he'd also follow Dean and retire after passing the record, even if it is next year... :p

LSanders
12-10-2010, 11:50 AM
First of all, great response on the front page the Bialik blog.

To me, one of the most often overlooked aspects of Coach's incredible run is the 1 'n done influence of the NBA. After 91-92, all of his championship caliber teams have fallen victim to significant player loss. Coaches on the all-time win list were immune to that, with the exception of the latter part of RMK's and Dean's careers.

How many championships would Wooden have lost of Jabbar/Walton/etc. had jumped after one year? How many wins and championships would Rupp have sacrificed if he had to keep reloading every year?

What K's accomplished in this era will be more and more appreciated over time as fewer and fewer coaches come within a whiff of his records.

tieguy
12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
What K's accomplished in this era will be more and more appreciated over time as fewer and fewer coaches come within a whiff of his records.

K is ahead of the modern pack, but he's not that massively ahead- depending on when K retires, a few folks are either already in his neck of the woods or on pace to do so by the time they are roughly K's age.

Of those already in their 60s, like K, Boeheim and Calhoun are only two mediocre seasons (~40 wins) behind. Both are older than K, though, so neither are likely to pass him unless they do a Paterno/Bowden impersonation.

Looking at the top younger coaches by win count in the past five years, Self seems like the obvious bet to challenge K/RMK- he's only 47, he's in a very soft conference, he's a skilled recruiter, and he's got 153 wins in the past five years. Keep up that pace and he'll catch RMK by the time he is in his mid-60s. Calipari, assuming he can stay employed and can keep up the pace of the past five years (33 wins/year), would also catch RMK by his mid-60s. Mark Few and Thad Matta could also catch RMK by their late 60s if they keep up the pace of the past five years.

Surprisingly, at least to me, K is only 3 years older than Roy, so it seems unlikely that Roy'll make up the ~250 win gap, even with his high winning percentage (especially since that percentage has dropped since he came to Chapel Hill.)

Note that all these numbers are from StatSheet. They have a "wins in the past five years" chart, but it is wrong, so I counted things by hand and some math may be off. http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches

sagegrouse
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I will give my honest (if not heartfelt) congratulations to Coach Krzyzewski (spelled out just to prove to myself I could do it).
:p

Now for extra credit, please give the correct spelling of Wojo.

sagegrouse

jdj4duke
12-10-2010, 05:26 PM
First of all, great response on the front page the Bialik blog.

That blog shows why K repeatedly and believably says that he doesn't pay attention to the records. Certainly he knows where he stands; just as certainly he will give no more than a passing mention to the milestones. Maybe when he passes Knight and that special circumstance.

The blog is just another illustration of using stats to prove almost any point. The record will be suspect because of blah blah blah, and this and that really shouldn't count, and he got the advantage of something or other and so forth and on.

I can only imagine the rationalizations that will issue from NC when Dean's record falls. I fully expect someone to accuse him of being on steroids or something equally asinine.

So it's correct that the points in Bialik's piece were effectively countered; it's equally correct that there will likely be a number of similar pieces coming that will try to diminish the accomplishment using some construct or historical/hysterical qualifiers to try to level the field and call K's numbers into doubt. You will probably hear multiple references to the bad back season and all that, no matter that he didn't take the wins then either.

It should be pretty easy just to look at the numbers, but the discussion will never be just about the total numbers as the Bialik piece demonstrates. For that reason alone, I think K will spend about 5 minutes at each of the next accomplishments, and then put it in a box somewhere. It's a bit analogous to the picture of K that was in the Indy paper during the Final 4; no matter what is accomplished, there will be somebody around to pick it to death

Regardless of how Coach K looks at it, I suspect that we will do enough to commemorate and celebrate when the time comes.

throatybeard
12-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I can only imagine the rationalizations that will issue from NC when Dean's record falls. I fully expect someone to accuse him of being on steroids or something equally asinine.

The first one will be that Dean still leads in wins at one school. He will continue to if/until Boeheim passes him. Coach K would need another 73 to pass Dean in that column.

Does anyone think there might be a little ceremony with the game ball after the UNCG game? Perhaps not; it's not as if Dean is the current recordholder anyway.

Duvall
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
The first one will be that Dean still leads in wins at one school. He will continue to if/until Boeheim passes him. Coach K would need another 73 to pass Dean in that column.

Does anyone think there might be a little ceremony with the game ball after the UNCG game? Perhaps not; it's not as if Dean is the current recordholder anyway.

No ceremony, but I do expect Duke to spend the year referring to Krzyzewski as the "winningest coach in ACC history."

throatybeard
12-29-2010, 11:45 PM
One down, one to go. Or is it two down? (Rupp).

I sort of feel like Dean should be getting more props right now, but the people who say it's not much of a national story are right. There was a little mention on the rolling SportsCenter, but all there is on ESPN.com and CNNSI.com are AP writeups of the UNCG game. This is the real slap at Dean's formidable legacy--people outside NC and the rivalry don't really care.

Dean had a total class press release quote.

The AP writeup says that should we keep being undefeated all year--not bloody likely--Krzyzewski would tie RMK in the ACCT in...Greensboro. And pass him in the NCAAT 1R.

In other news, the GSO Coliseum is an abomination when it comes to handicapped access.

DevilWearsPrada
12-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Coach K 880!!! Congratulations on your Milestone, and many more Wins and Championships to come!!!! I am glad, I am on the Duke Bus, or Duke Train!!! I got on board, as a youngster in grammar school, and hung on tight, during those lean years. But, what a ride!!! Thanks Coach K for the last 30 years!!!! (at least the last 25, those first 5, were a bit bumpy, but persistancy and consistency prevailed!!! The cream always rises to the Top!!

And as always, Go Duke!!!

DevilWearsPrada
12-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Now for extra credit, please give the correct spelling of Wojo.

sagegrouse

Do you think they would have K and Wojo on the National Spelling Bee, as words to spell?

lol

And imagine, as a first grader or kindergarden, and having to spell your name!!! GEE....I would put K or Wojo! And learn the rest, by the time I started 2nd or 3rd grade!! lol

OldPhiKap
12-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Time for someone to shorten the title of this thread. Only one to go.

superdave
12-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Coach K up next on Mike & Mike on Espn 2

-jk
12-31-2010, 06:03 PM
A little late to this one, but I wanted to make sure y'all saw the Al Featherston article (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205069488&DB_OEM_ID=4200) from goduke.

I just got around to reading it and really enjoyed it.

Congrats, K!

-jk

diveonthefloor
12-31-2010, 08:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike#

K interviewed by Mr "Alarmingly Unathletic" yesterday morning....always fun to hear him (K that is).

zoroaster
01-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Not sure if this was posted anywhere -- John Feinstein on Coach K's achievement:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/30/AR2010123002287.html

fgb
01-01-2011, 02:01 AM
thanks for the link. and, man, i really miss the big four tournament. it really wouldn't make sense now, but as a kid, i went to a few of them, and they really, really were a blast. acc tourny type atmosphere, combined with a backyard brawl familiarity--sort of like if we played state in wake's driveway, and unc had called "next".

Newton_14
01-01-2011, 08:35 AM
thanks for the link. and, man, i really miss the big four tournament. it really wouldn't make sense now, but as a kid, i went to a few of them, and they really, really were a blast. acc tourny type atmosphere, combined with a backyard brawl familiarity--sort of like if we played state in wake's driveway, and unc had called "next".

I miss that tourney as well. Great times. With the Big Four, Reg Season, and ACC Tourney, there were years where the teams ended up facing each other 4 times! Imagine Duke/UNC playing 4 times in our current era. Think ESPN would hype that much?:)

I imagine the TV rights for a modern day Big Four tourney would bring a pretty penny as well...

Jarhead
01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I miss that tourney as well. Great times. With the Big Four, Reg Season, and ACC Tourney, there were years where the teams ended up facing each other 4 times! Imagine Duke/UNC playing 4 times in our current era. Think ESPN would hype that much?:)

I imagine the TV rights for a modern day Big Four tourney would bring a pretty penny as well...
Instead of a Big Four Tourney ('71 t0 '81), why not a revival of the Dixie Classic ('49 to '61)? It was natural format for the holiday period, four outside teams faced off against the Big Four in a three game tournament that was usually won by a Big Four team. It was played in Reynold Coliseum, and was a huge draw. At that time all four schools were within about a 25 mile circle with Wake Forest then located in, of all places, Wake Forest.

Such a tournament would bring big bucks, and power teams from around the country. Each of the NC teams play a rather weak set of teams at that time of the year, so why not dump those practice games with a really serious test that would be the talk of the state.
ESPN would love it, and so would I.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/wizard.gif

juise
02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
This season has been a great ride so far. I'm not taking anything for granted, but I think it's worth noting that K is now within 9 games of matching RMK's win total. I know that there are much more important goals for the team (most immediately is winning the Temple game), but I had to point out that we're within single digits.

Olympic Fan
02-21-2011, 12:33 AM
This season has been a great ride so far. I'm not taking anything for granted, but I think it's worth noting that K is now within 9 games of matching RMK's win total. I know that there are much more important goals for the team (most immediately is winning the Temple game), but I had to point out that we're within single digits.

I was counting it as I drive home after tonight's game.

At this point, the earliest possible that K could get to 902 (and tie Knight) would in the second round of the NCAA Tournament -- with 903 coming in the Sweet 16.

Obviously, any loss delays that and maybe pushes it back to next season.

But Georgia Tech was 893.

Hopefully, Temple will be 894.

Get that one and we'll move on.

Sir Stealth
02-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Aside from the fact that passing Knight is a huge deal in and of itself, this story seems very under the radar at this point considering it could be THE story surrounding the team right in the middle of trying to move through this year's tournament. It's still a little too early to know for sure since we'll have to play virtually loss free basketball for it to happen at any time but deep in the tournament, but still. It's interesting that nobody is thinking much about it when it is sure to be a big time media story right at the end-all be-all point in the season. We could very easily be in a game where we are already playing for very high stakes (such as the Final Four) and have K going for a tie or win of Knight at the same time.

dcdevil2009
02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
As of today, Coach K "only" needs 6 wins to tie and 7 to pass Knight. We've got a minimum of 5 games left, but if that happened, it would mean at most 3 wins (first round losses in the ACC and NCAA tournaments). I don't want to speak too soon, but I'd be very surprised if he can't at least tie the General this year. A relatively conservative prediction would be us going 2-1 to finish the regular season (896), and either 2-1 in the ACCs and NCAAs or 1-1 in the ACCs and 3-1 in the NCAAs (902).

Olympic Fan
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
As of today, Coach K "only" needs 6 wins to tie and 7 to pass Knight. We've got a minimum of 5 games left, but if that happened, it would mean at most 3 wins (first round losses in the ACC and NCAA tournaments). I don't want to speak too soon, but I'd be very surprised if he can't at least tie the General this year. A relatively conservative prediction would be us going 2-1 to finish the regular season (896), and either 2-1 in the ACCs and NCAAs or 1-1 in the ACCs and 3-1 in the NCAAs (902).

You are miscounting.

After beating Temple, K has 894 wins.

Knight finished with 902.

K needs eight to tie, nine to win.

The countdown is the same -- without another loss, K ties Knight in the Sweet 16 (three regular season wins, three ACC Tourney wins and two NCAA wins), then gets the record by getting to the Elite Eight.

It's a little tougher than you think.

throatybeard
03-12-2011, 12:28 PM
And Maryland makes 896.

richardjackson199
03-12-2011, 07:44 PM
And Maryland makes 896.

throatybeard
03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
And now.

DCCCXCVIII

arnie
03-13-2011, 08:04 PM
And now.

DCCCXCVIII

And he breaks the record in Houston against the Heels on April 2!

SuperTurkey
03-13-2011, 08:25 PM

While that would be a great moment, I really hope it doesn't happen for 2 reasons: 1) UNC making a Final Four this year and 2) having to suffer through the week leading up to that game.

juise
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM

That wouldn't be bad. I'd also enjoy a shot at Calipari if Duke were fortunate enough to get there.

throatybeard
03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't want any drama with Carolina or Kentucky, any "intriguing" story lines, any revenge fantasies, any of that. I just want to keep winning. Hmm, sounds like most of the 2010 tournament.

YourLandlord
03-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't want any drama with Carolina or Kentucky, any "intriguing" story lines, any revenge fantasies, any of that. I just want to keep winning. Hmm, sounds like most of the 2010 tournament.

Or UConn.

Atlanta Duke
03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Another milestone - Friday's game against Hampton apparently will be game #100 for Coach K in the NCAA tournament

Career record 78-21

This is a link to scores of the previous 99 games (although the link does not list his first game in 1984, which I recall was a loss to Washington)

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/ncaa/mens-basketball/search/?pri_coach=Krzyzewski,+Mike&pri_seed_from=1&pri_seed_to=16&opp_seed_from=1&opp_seed_to=16&round=7&from=&to=&submit=

Orange&BlackSheep
03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
That wouldn't be bad. I'd also enjoy a shot at Calipari if Duke were fortunate enough to get there.

And of course since Princeton is bouncing Kentucky in the first round, that can't happen :p

oldnavy
03-14-2011, 06:51 AM
This may be way off, but I wonder if the fact that K could break the record with a run to the final four is motivating for the team in general and Kyle and Nolan specifically?

I wonder if they even think about it. I know that the FF is motivation enough, but how special would it be to be part of that??

I know that if I were a player on this team, that I would love to be a part of that historical moment with Coach K.... being on the court and winning the game that would make K the all time leader in wins would be SPECIAL!!!

Come on guys, REFUSE TO LOSE!!!

PADukeMom
03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Or UConn.

I'm with you there!

MChambers
03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Another milestone - Friday's game against Hampton apparently will be game #100 for Coach K in the NCAA tournament

Career record 78-21

This is a link to scores of the previous 99 games (although the link does not list his first game in 1984, which I recall was a loss to Washington)

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/ncaa/mens-basketball/search/?pri_coach=Krzyzewski,+Mike&pri_seed_from=1&pri_seed_to=16&opp_seed_from=1&opp_seed_to=16&round=7&from=&to=&submit=

Just unbelievable. So if Duke only makes it to the Final Four, Coach K's career winning percentage in the NCAA tournament goes down? Absolutely amazing how successful he has been in the tournament.

wilson
03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
So if Duke only makes it to the Final Four, Coach K's career winning percentage in the NCAA tournament goes down?Technically, no. A career 78-21 NCAAT record puts his current tournament winning percentage at .7879. If Duke were to make the Final Four this year and lose in the semis, for a 4-1 record this season, It would leave K's career tournament NCAAT record at 82-22, for a winning percentage of .7885.
The point remains, however: His postseason resume is immensely impressive, and we're lucky to have had the chance to watch and enjoy it.

devildeac
03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
This may be way off, but I wonder if the fact that K could break the record with a run to the final four is motivating for the team in general and Kyle and Nolan specifically?

I wonder if they even think about it. I know that the FF is motivation enough, but how special would it be to be part of that??

I know that if I were a player on this team, that I would love to be a part of that historical moment with Coach K.... being on the court and winning the game that would make K the all time leader in wins would be SPECIAL!!!

Come on guys, REFUSE TO LOSE!!!

I doubt it as K has always been so focused on team/fist and his players and defers the attention to them and the university regularly, much as he did after #880 at Greensboro when he said he had been fortunate to have had so many good players/teams and the association with Duke for so many years. I'd bet that the players are aware of it however.

throatybeard
03-14-2011, 05:48 PM
As far as the media goes, I bet the issue will fly under the radar in the 1R and 2R. Then you win the 2R game, and the odometer rolls over to 900. And then the stories reproduce like rabbits.

Olympic Fan
03-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Career record 78-21

Well, the Hampton game will be his 100th NCAA appearance ... but you have the record wrong.

K is 77-22 (not 78-21) in NCAA play.

His 77 wins are the most of any coach in history (Dean Smith is second at 65, Roy Williams third at 55 and John Wooden fourth at 47).

His .778 winning percentage in NCAA play is second only to John Wooden's .825 (along coaches with at least 20 NCAA games).

tieguy
03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
His .778 winning percentage in NCAA play is second only to John Wooden's .825 (along coaches with at least 20 NCAA games).

Jeez. So if he wins the next five NCAA titles, he'll pass Wooden's winning percentage. Barely. That is nuts. (By which I mean to say that it just reinforces how impossibly high Wooden set some of those numbers.)

hurleyfor3
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
With the ACC season finished I though it would be a good time to check on K's conference totals.

We went 13-3 in the regular season and of course, 3-0 in the tournament. It has been noted that K is now tied with Dean at 13 ACC titles.

K's regular-season ACC record now stands at 319-137 (.715). Dean sits at 364-136 (.739) with five more years in the league (36 vs. 31). Passing Dean in percentage terms is unlikely at this point; passing him in total wins is more feasible.

K's ACC Tournament record goes to 52-17 (.754; note 51-17 is an even .750). Dean is 58-23 (.716). Dean has won six more tournament games, and lost six more. Even if K hangs around long enough to coach in as many ACC seasons as Dean did, it will be impossible to pass him in losses :)

I have K with 22 NCAA Tournament losses, not 21. There have been 27 tournaments counting K's first in 1984. We didn't play in one tournament (1995), and didn't lose any games in four others. 27 - 5 = 22. I think we're 77-22 actually.

There are some interesting stats regarding some of our players, which I'll post to a new thread.

Atlanta Duke
03-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Well, the Hampton game will be his 100th NCAA appearance ... but you have the record wrong.

K is 77-22 (not 78-21) in NCAA play.

His 77 wins are the most of any coach in history (Dean Smith is second at 65, Roy Williams third at 55 and John Wooden fourth at 47).

Thought the Post link might be off when I noted the 1984 loss was not included in its chronology - I am more impressed by his tournament odometer rolling over to 100 than whether he is 77-22 or 78-21

Jderf
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Jeez. So if he wins the next five NCAA titles, he'll pass Wooden's winning percentage. Barely. That is nuts. (By which I mean to say that it just reinforces how impossibly high Wooden set some of those numbers.)

There is a reason the man has an era named after him.

Sir Stealth
03-15-2011, 01:13 AM
This story, and the fact that the key wins could potentially come during big games deep within the tournament, has felt really under the radar to me all year long. We still have a ways to go to get there, but picturing us playing in the second weekend with a potential Kyrie return and K record all happening at the same time as we try for another Final Four and to repeat as champions behind two beloved seniors is a mind boggling level of drama.

throatybeard
03-15-2011, 01:42 AM

Also, consider that if Wooden were playing under the current setup, in his ten title seasons he'd probably have 20 more NCAAT wins in the 1R and 2R. I mean, maybe the parity would have knocked off some of his championship teams, but you have to figure at absolute worst these two factors would offset. So his %age would be even better.

Indoor66
03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Also, consider that if Wooden were playing under the current setup, in his ten title seasons he'd probably have 20 more NCAAT wins in the 1R and 2R. I mean, maybe the parity would have knocked off some of his championship teams, but you have to figure at absolute worst these two factors would offset. So his %age would be even better.

Also, consider that if he played in this era he wouldn't have won 7 championships in a row and his percentage would be worse. Parity, parity, parity.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Also, consider that if he played in this era he wouldn't have won 7 championships in a row and his percentage would be worse. Parity, parity, parity.

Plus the payola his players were receiving might have been discovered in media res ... and I say that not to disparage the man at all. Just pointing out that his record might have had the rug pulled out form under it by a booster's actions.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM

You bring up a point, I always try to make about these things -- you can't have it both ways.

Using Wooden as an example, it's true that if he played in the modern 64-team era (or 65-team or now 68-team), he'd have played more tournament games and would have had a couple of more NCAA appearances (he played in a one-bid per conference era for most of his career ... he had some teams in the 60s that would have gotten bids today).

At the same time, he wins less titles if (1) the fields were balanced (Eastern and Midwestern teams were NEVER moved out west during his run; and (2) he had to win more that two games to reach the Final Four.

If you truely adjust Wooden's record to the modern era, it probably ends up looking more like K's -- less titles and more overall tournament wins (and a slightly lower percentage).

BD80
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
You bring up a point, I always try to make about these things -- you can't have it both ways.

Using Wooden as an example, it's true that if he played in the modern 64-team era (or 65-team or now 68-team), he'd have played more tournament games and would have had a couple of more NCAA appearances (he played in a one-bid per conference era for most of his career ... he had some teams in the 60s that would have gotten bids today).

At the same time, he wins less titles if (1) the fields were balanced (Eastern and Midwestern teams were NEVER moved out west during his run; and (2) he had to win more that two games to reach the Final Four.

If you truely adjust Wooden's record to the modern era, it probably ends up looking more like K's -- less titles and more overall tournament wins (and a slightly lower percentage).

Slightly lower?

Using today's format, UCLA would have had to play through multiple teams from the midwest and east, such as the Maryland and NCState squads that had such memorable ACC championship confrontations. The "easy" extra round UCLA would gain moving to the 64 team format would be about the same as its first two rounds back in the day when it won the the Western Regional time and time again to advance to the final four - absolutely no competition. Thus, UCLA essentially amassed its records by skipping rounds 3 and 4 of today's tournament, the "sweet sixteen," where schools face TWO more top 16 teams, like Texas and uCon for Duke, or UNC and UK for OSU.

Wooden's record is amazing, but really does not bear comparison to what Coach K has achieved.

throatybeard
03-18-2011, 05:19 PM
DCCCXCIX.

Several years ago, James Armstrong went year-by-year and demonstrated that UCLA did not face weaker opposition in the West Region. I was surprised but I remember his argument being really tight.

If ACCT is included, Coach also made up 16 ACC wins on Dean this year.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2011, 05:23 PM
DCCCXCIX.

Several years ago, James Armstrong went year-by-year and demonstrated that UCLA did not face weaker opposition in the West Region. I was surprised but I remember his argument being really tight.

If ACCT is included, Coach also made up 16 ACC wins on Dean this year.

Dean who? Was that the guy before Gut?

throatybeard
03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I went back and looked and I'm not sure, but I think including ACCT, we are at Dean 422, K 374. He could make that up in just four more seasons (say you go 11-5 every year and 1-1 in the ACCT, and I think that's conservative), perhaps during 2014-15. That would be his age 68 season.

throatybeard
03-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I just realized something else. Given that if the record is broken this year, it will have to be in the national semifinal...the East and West champs play each other, right?

...there is some chance that the game would be against Ohio State, Bobby Knight's alma mater.

Mind you, I don't want any part of Ohio State, as I fear Sullinger would devour the Plumlees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Devouring_His_Son), even Marshall who isn't playing, in succession, like so many heavy hors d'oeuvres, as Ryan Kelly wisely runs for the hills. But what a story line if we were to win.

peplaw06
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Number 900 was way too close. But it's 900.

hurleyfor3
04-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Here are the active coach NCAA winning percentage standings after the 2011 tournament.

.7750 Donovan (31-9; 3-1)
.7745 K (79-23; 2-1)
.7533 Roy (58-19; 3-1)
.7333 Stevens (11-4; 5-1)
.7292 Izzo (35-13; 0-1)
.7286 Calhoun (51-19; 6-0) Non-vacated record of .727 (48-18)
.7170 Pitino (38-15; 0-1)
.7111 Calipari (32-13; 4-1) The NCAA seems to count all the vacated games.
.7000 Self (28-12; 3-1)
.6875 Fisher (22-10; 2-1) Non-vacated record of .667 (16-8)

CameronBornAndBred
06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Obviously he is going to get the record sometime very early this year, but since we are in the offseason and that moment is still months away, this article was nice to read this morning. It combines two fun subjects often covered here; when will K pass Knight, and when will K retire. Happily, it looks like one will occur far before the other.

“I think if I announced this is my last year in coaching, it would take on more significance,” Krzyzewski said Tuesday. “But the fact that I’m not — I have my health, I’m going to coach for a number of years."

"I’m just going to keep coaching,” he said. “I feel good. I may not look good, but I feel great, and for me, I’m 64.”

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/14505377/article-Coach-K-ready-to-set-wins-record?instance=homefifthleft

devildeac
06-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Obviously he is going to get the record sometime very early this year, but since we are in the offseason and that moment is still months away, this article was nice to read this morning. It combines two fun subjects often covered here; when will K pass Knight, and when will K retire. Happily, it looks like one will occur far before the other.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/14505377/article-Coach-K-ready-to-set-wins-record?instance=homefifthleft

"To infinity and beyond"-Buzz Lightyear (IIRC)

Olympic Fan
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Here are the active coach NCAA winning percentage standings after the 2011 tournament.

.7750 Donovan (31-9; 3-1)
.7745 K (79-23; 2-1)
.7533 Roy (58-19; 3-1)
.7333 Stevens (11-4; 5-1)
.7292 Izzo (35-13; 0-1)
.7286 Calhoun (51-19; 6-0) Non-vacated record of .727 (48-18)
.7170 Pitino (38-15; 0-1)
.7111 Calipari (32-13; 4-1) The NCAA seems to count all the vacated games.
.7000 Self (28-12; 3-1)
.6875 Fisher (22-10; 2-1) Non-vacated record of .667 (16-8)

These numbers are wrong -- at least for Donovan (and Calipari).

He's not 31-9 in NCAA play, he's 25-9 (.735). And the NCAA does not count Calipari's vacated games -- he's officially listed at 22-10 (.6875).

According to the NCAA, the five best active NCAA winning percentages are:

1. Krzyzewski 79-23 .7745
2. Roy Williams 58-19 .7533
3. Donovan 25-9 .7353
4. Stevens 11-4 .7333
5. Izzo 35-13 .7292

I'll stop there because I don't have to worry about "vacated" games for anybody listed.

All-time, it depends on how many games you require to qualify. The top two are Ed Jucker of Cincinnati (11-1) and Ken Loefler of LaSalle (9-1). But if you require 20 games to qualify, the list becomes:

1. John Wooden 47-10 (.825)
2. Mike Krzyzewski

If you only require 10 games to qualify, then Wooden drops to fourth and K drops to seventh.

rthomas
11-12-2011, 06:50 PM
You have done it the right way and I'm proud. I have to admit that I didn't have a lot of hope in 1982 when Carolina won and Valvano's 1983 year. But you have risen to the top.

Congrats and get 903 on Tuesday!

Utley
11-12-2011, 07:21 PM
As Coach K said - today is a happy day. How wonderful to have some positive development to focus on at such a challenging time for college athletics.

I was also delighted to get my SI hoops preview and see Barnes on it. We can consider UNC officially cursed :)

throatybeard
11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Coach K gave not only Knight (obviously) but also Dean Smith a nice little shout-out in what little of the presser made it onto ESPNU.

OrangeDevil
11-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Forget about 903. Here's to 1,000!

TonyWR
11-13-2011, 10:37 AM

FYI, todays Charlotte Observer has K on the front page and a great write up on his journey to the top! I'm surprised because the Observer usually minimizes anything Duke related, probably due to the tarhole journalists on staff and their fear of anything pro-Duke....

House G
11-13-2011, 12:28 PM
ESPN airing a show entitiled "Coach K's Record Climb" today (at least twice). I'm not sure if this is its first showing or not.

throatybeard
11-14-2011, 12:31 PM

It's possible. This is his age-65 season--his birthday is in three months. This season started right at 900. It's probably not wise to expect 30 wins every year. But at 25, you might be looking at 1000 near the end of his age-69 season, 2015-16.

I'm in a hurry and can't go back an re-read the whole thread, but I think we estimated earlier that it's also in that range of either 2014-15 or 2015-16 where Coach K projects to catch Dean Smith for some of the ACC records.

gam7
11-14-2011, 01:21 PM
It's probably not wise to expect 30 wins every year.

It may not be wise to expect 30 wins every year, but the fact of the matter is that Duke has averaged 30 wins per year over the last 15 seasons, so it certainly is not out of the realm of possibility. Interestingly, his 451 total wins from 1996-97 through 2010-11 account for precisely half of his 902 career wins.

Year W L
1996-97 24 9
1997-98 32 4
1998-99 37 2
1999-00 29 5
2000-01 35 4
2001-02 31 4
2002-03 26 7
2003-04 31 6
2004-05 27 6
2005-06 32 4
2006-07 22 11
2007-08 28 6
2008-09 30 7
2009-10 35 5
2010-11 32 5
Totals: 451 85

Win %: .841

Avg Ws / yr: 30.1

airowe
11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Krzyzewski downplays the record (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-11-14/duke-coach-mike-krzyzewski-downplays-record-but-appreciates-it_copy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Mike Corey
11-15-2011, 12:32 AM
NYTimes on K. (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/15/sports/ncaabasketball/still-full-of-fire-dukes-krzyzewski-is-set-to-break-record-for-wins.html?hp)

“He’s anxious to move on, too,” Krzyzewski joked about Knight, who will be part of ESPN’s announcing team. The two remain close, talking almost every week during the season.

“My path to Coach has always been an easy one, and my path to follow him has been even easier,” Krzyzewski said. “It’s like, O.K., where is all this knowledge? Right there. Who is he willing to share it with? Me. Who does he love and who do I love?

“It’s been a very, very unique and great relationship.”

nocilla
11-15-2011, 09:02 AM
I noticed several interesting tidbits on Coach K's career record from the MSU game release. Most interesting to me, 254 of his wins came against teams ranked in the top 25.

I also get typical UNC homerism from friends/coworkers. When discussing K reaching 902 wins, the typical response is that it was easy because 800 of the wins came against cupcakes like Presbyterian. Which I know is ridiculous because Duke usually has a top 10 strength of schedule and doesn't play anymore cupcakes then UNC or anyone else. Of course they don't believe that and say something about them playing all their games in Cameron or MSG. (FYI, Coach K only has 20 wins at MSG.) Anyway, I was curious so I decided to look it up myself. I wanted to know how many of his wins came against quality opponents. The easiest method was to look up wins against BCS opponents.

I started here (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152844&ATCLPID=11&SENDING_AS_EMAIL=&PRINTABLE_PAGE=); Coach K's bio from GoDuke list his record against all opponents. I then realized that this was released in June 2005. So I then went through the schedules since then and added to the totals. For ACC opponents I got a very different number than what was in the game release. The MSU game release says he has 374 ACC wins but when I added up the totals I got 406. I know some of it is due to expansion teams, so his record against VT, BC, Miami, and maybe FSU may not all be considered ACC. But they were still BCS opponents before they joined so they still count in my numbers. It just seems like 32 is a lot of wins from those few teams, so maybe it is still off somewhere.

Anyway, based on my math (for whatever that is worth) Coach K has 584 wins against BCS opponents. 174 of those against teams not currently in the ACC. That 584 also does not include games against non-BCS, quality teams like Temple, Butler, Gonzaga, UNLV, etc.

In conclusion, Coach K has beaten a lot of good teams. If someone knows where a better breakdown is I would like to see it.

TonyWR
11-15-2011, 09:21 AM
I noticed several interesting tidbits on Coach K's career record from the MSU game release. Most interesting to me, 254 of his wins came against teams ranked in the top 25.

I also get typical UNC homerism from friends/coworkers. When discussing K reaching 902 wins, the typical response is that it was easy because 800 of the wins came against cupcakes like Presbyterian. Which I know is ridiculous because Duke usually has a top 10 strength of schedule and doesn't play anymore cupcakes then UNC or anyone else. Of course they don't believe that and say something about them playing all their games in Cameron or MSG. (FYI, Coach K only has 20 wins at MSG.) Anyway, I was curious so I decided to look it up myself. I wanted to know how many of his wins came against quality opponents. The easiest method was to look up wins against BCS opponents.

I started here (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152844&ATCLPID=11&SENDING_AS_EMAIL=&PRINTABLE_PAGE=); Coach K's bio from GoDuke list his record against all opponents. I then realized that this was released in June 2005. So I then went through the schedules since then and added to the totals. For ACC opponents I got a very different number than what was in the game release. The MSU game release says he has 374 ACC wins but when I added up the totals I got 406. I know some of it is due to expansion teams, so his record against VT, BC, Miami, and maybe FSU may not all be considered ACC. But they were still BCS opponents before they joined so they still count in my numbers. It just seems like 32 is a lot of wins from those few teams, so maybe it is still off somewhere.

Anyway, based on my math (for whatever that is worth) Coach K has 584 wins against BCS opponents. 174 of those against teams not currently in the ACC. That 584 also does not include games against non-BCS, quality teams like Temple, Butler, Gonzaga, UNLV, etc.

In conclusion, Coach K has beaten a lot of good teams. If someone knows where a better breakdown is I would like to see it.

Remind those jealous tarholes that at least when Duke plays those so called cupcake teams at least our coach doesnt have opposing fans tossed out. Then remind them of their NIT choke just a few years ago and ask if that fits the definition of cupcake?........tarholes....dime a dozen.

Reilly
11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
K: 902 wins, 12 ACC regular season titles, 13 ACCT titles, 11 Final Fours, 4 national championships
UNC: 832 wins, 14 ACC reg season titles, 9 ACCT titles, 11 Final Fours, 4 national championships

so if I've added correctly, (Dean + Gut + Doh + Roy) < K

... just think if K had had a full 1994-95 ....

devildeac
11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
K: 902 wins, 12 ACC regular season titles, 13 ACCT titles, 11 Final Fours, 4 national championships
UNC: 832 wins, 14 ACC reg season titles, 9 ACCT titles, 11 Final Fours, 4 national championships

I like your math :-).

juise
11-15-2011, 11:35 AM

K has 902 total wins... 73 of those came before 80-81 with Army. He has 829 total wins with Duke.

I still agree with your inequality, though. :)

Reilly
11-15-2011, 12:01 PM
ah, thanks juise ... was thinking I'd make a mistake somewhere (I added UNC's by hand, er, calculator) ... so 829 for K to 832 for UNC, yet K missed (at least) 19 games in 1994-95 .... I was thinking 70 more wins over 31 years seemed like a lot, but only 2+ per year, so maybe it was right ...

... for sake of completeness ... UNC w/ 832 since 80-81, K w/ 829 ... K did not get the last 19 games of 94-95 and left after the 12th game, at 9-3 .... that season, UNC won 28 games and was 11-1 after 12 games ... so if you remove the 17 victories from UNC for an equal time of comparison, left w/ K at 829, UNC at 815 over the same time period .... if you leave the 17 wins in for UNC so they are at 832, easy to surmise that K would have won at least the 4 that Gaudet won, putting him in the lead ... the math holds ....

dcdevil2009
11-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know Coach K's record in "milestone" games? Not that it has any impact on tonight's outcome, but I'd be curious to see where it stands. It would depend on what you consider a milestone, but it would be an interesting stat.

devildeac
11-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Hopefully we can celebrate about 9:03 tonight for 903 tonight. ;>))

Reilly
11-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Hopefully we can celebrate about 9:03 tonight for 903 tonight. ;>))

Spartanic Convergence?

devildeac
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Spartanic Convergence?

Nah, I hope it's Satanic Spartanic Combustion ;-) .

Oriole Way
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I hope that lots of former players will be in attendance tonight, especially since so many of them have tons of free time on their hands with the lockout.

Does anyone know of any former players who might make it out tonight?

basket1544
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Tons have stated on twitter that they'll be there. I've seen something from Kenny Dennard, JJ and Shane in the last few minutes. Bilas is working the game with Coach Knight. Jay Williams said he'll be there. Grant was interviewed recently and said he'd be at the game.

Duke of Nashville
11-15-2011, 04:14 PM
I hope that lots of former players will be in attendance tonight, especially since so many of them have tons of free time on their hands with the lockout.

JJ tweeted that he will be there, hopefully. And I believe Grant Hill is already in town. Judging by the celebrity shots we have already seen from Cameron, Cameron North will have plently of people influenced by Coach K in the stands. This is a huge event (although finding coverage of the milestone on ESPN's website is nearly impossible) and I am sure plenty of tickets have been passed out. Let's Go Duke!

hurleyfor3
11-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know Coach K's record in "milestone" games? Not that it has any impact on tonight's outcome, but I'd be curious to see where it stands. It would depend on what you consider a milestone, but it would be an interesting stat.

I know #500 and #600 were both against unc. 500 was the 1998 comeback in Cameron.

hurleyfor3
11-15-2011, 05:57 PM
600 was the 2001 ACC championship game in the Georgia Dome, against unc of course.

700 would have been our 6th win in 2005. (K was at 694 at the end of the 2004 season.)

800 I recall was at NC State in February 2008.

uh_no
11-15-2011, 06:07 PM

i think capel and wojo might be there :P

J4Kop99
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Andy Katz just mentioned Hurley as one of the former players who will be in attendance.

I wonder if Laettner will show

J4Kop99
11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Hubert Davis just made a claim that there will be 31-40 former players in attendance tonight, ranging from 1980 till just a couple years ago. I do not know where he found that info but it will be fun to see who shows up.

Newton_14
11-15-2011, 10:04 PM
All,
-jk requested that I close this thread, and open a new "Congrats to Coach K for 903" thread. I will have the new thread open shortly. For those that have posted for 903 in this thread, please repost in the new one.

Thanks!