PDA

View Full Version : Last Comic Standing on the State board

Olympic Fan
02-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Some great laughs on the NC State scout board today:

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=178&F=2515

I especially like the take on tomorrow's State-Carolina matchup. There's a thread about next year's ACC/Big Ten Challenge -- what would the ACC do if UNC actually finished 12th (a distinct possibility if they lose to State ... with Davis out the rest of the way). They point out that it's a made for TV event and UNC is the second-best TV draw in the two conferences. Food for thought.

I also liked a question by a pessimistic State fan -- If UNC beats State Saturday in the Smith Center, will the Carolina fans rush the court?

Another fan suggested that Roy is trying to pull a "Les Robinson Sandwich" -- in 1992 Robinson's Wolfpack beat UNC, lost 10 straight after that, then beat UNC in the rematch. UNC, of course, beat State in Raleigh on Jan. 26 and have since lost four straight, heading into the rematch.

Finally, there's the inevitable thread about Coach K to the Nets. To their credit, they ask the rational question -- if he wouldn't leave for the Lakers, why would he leave for the Nets? What's funny is how they turn it around to make fun of their own disastrous 2006 coaching search:

"Who's running the Nets search," one fan said. "Lee Fowler? Who's their next choice after K turns them down ... Rick Barnes?"

One fan responds: "Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll get down to their 65th choice -- Sidney Lowe."

BD80
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Some great laughs on the NC State scout board today:

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=178&F=2515

I especially like the take on tomorrow's State-Carolina matchup. There's a thread about next year's ACC/Big Ten Challenge -- what would the ACC do if UNC actually finished 12th (a distinct possibility if they lose to State ... with Davis out the rest of the way). They point out that it's a made for TV event and UNC is the second-best TV draw in the two conferences. Food for thought. ...

If unc isn't compelled to play in the Big Ten/Eleven Challenge, maybe that will open up a spot in their schedule for a REAL challenge ...

College of Charleston!

hurleyfor3
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll hand it to State fans, they've mastered the art of self-deprecation. They've certainly had enough practice.

shoutingncu
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I also liked a question by a pessimistic State fan -- If UNC beats State Saturday in the Smith Center, will the Carolina fans rush the court?

Yes. But someone will sprain an ankle doing so...

Bostondevil
02-12-2010, 12:31 PM
State fans! I love 'em.

JasonEvans
02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I hate to bring seriousness to this but the ACC-Big Ten challenge is generally seeded on pre-season expectations, not last season's results. I am sure Carolina will be matched up next year with a top-tier Big Ten team, regardless of how they fare this season in the ACC.

-Jason "love the Lee Fowler and El Sid jokes!" Evans

hurleyfor3
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I hate to bring seriousness to this but the ACC-Big Ten challenge is generally seeded on pre-season expectations, not last season's results. I am sure Carolina will be matched up next year with a top-tier Big Ten team, regardless of how they fare this season in the ACC.

Also, I don't think it's necessarily the bottom ACC team that's dropped. The dropped team usually has a scheduling conflict, is an unattractive teevee draw or is wimping out for some other reason. I recall only 10 games in some years (with one Televen team flaking), too.

oldnavy
02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes. But someone will sprain an ankle doing so...

More likely to break a hip given the average age of the courtside fan in the dome!

Gewebe14
02-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Yes, but I'm pretty sure the last place team in ACC can't play no matter what -- like Georgia Tech this year. We can always route for that.

papa whiskey
02-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I'll hand it to State fans, they've mastered the art of self-deprecation. They've certainly had enough practice.

My brother went to State, could not agree more.

tbyers11
02-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Also, I don't think it's necessarily the bottom ACC team that's dropped. The dropped team usually has a scheduling conflict, is an unattractive teevee draw or is wimping out for some other reason. I recall only 10 games in some years (with one Televen team flaking), too.

Jason is correct that the matchups are based on pre-season expectations and not on a strict order-of-finish pairings.

However, since the ACC expanded to 12 teams in 2005-06 (requiring one ACC team to be left out) the last place regular season finisher has been left out of the challenge the following year and 11 games have been played. ACC-Big Ten Challenge results (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_%E2%80%93_Big_Ten_Challenge).

Wake 2005-06
Miami 2006-07
NC State 2007-08
Georgia Tech 2008-09

I don't know if there is a definite rule about this, but since GT was picked to be in the top 3 or 4 ACC teams in the preseason and was left out of this year's challenge, it seems to me that there might be.

Of course, if there is such a rule I am sure it will be changed if UNC finishes last this season.

oldnavy
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Jason is correct that the matchups are based on pre-season expectations and not on a strict order-of-finish pairings.

However, since the ACC expanded to 12 teams in 2005-06 (requiring one ACC team to be left out) the last place regular season finisher has been left out of the challenge the following year and 11 games have been played. ACC-Big Ten Challenge results (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_%E2%80%93_Big_Ten_Challenge).

Wake 2005-06
Miami 2006-07
NC State 2007-08
Georgia Tech 2008-09

I don't know if there is a definite rule about this, but since GT was picked to be in the top 3 or 4 ACC teams in the preseason and was left out of this year's challenge, it seems to me that there might be.

Of course, if there is such a rule I am sure it will be changed if UNC finishes last this season.

Remind me again who is the ACC commissioner? Oh that's right John Swofford. UNC will be in the ACC/Big Ten challenge, take it to the bank.

MADevil30
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Remind me again who is the ACC commissioner? Oh that's right John Swofford. UNC will be in the ACC/Big Ten challenge, take it to the bank.

Even more importantly, ESPN is the defacto commissioner of the Big10/ACC Challenge, no way Carolina doesn't play in it next year no matter how they finish. But we can always hope they get a team their freshman and sophomores (ie whole roster next year) can't handle

Duvall
02-12-2010, 04:31 PM

And of course, the commissioner of the Big Ten is Jim Delany (http://www.bigten.org/school-bio/delany-bio.html).

The fix is in.