PDA

View Full Version : Ed Davis out for the season?

detule
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
According to IC:
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/945948.html

More surprisingly it happened against Duke on Wednesday.

Duvall
02-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Confirmed - out six weeks (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021210aaf.html).

CDu
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM
If true, that might have explained some of his poor play offensively and lack of rebounds.

If true, I think it's safe to say that the wheels have come off for them.

Of course, if true, that might mean he returns for next year, which would be somewhat bad news for us.

Sorry for him that he's hurt. It's been a tough year for him, and this only compounds matters. Hopefully he recovers quickly and fully. And hopefully he still decides to go pro this summer! :)

DevilHorns
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
That sucks.

Hope it heals well and fast (especially so that it doesn't impact his draft status for the League!).

Kidding aside though, Davis has huge up-side to go pro and I hope everything turns out well for him. What a frustrating injury.

detule
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Hope for a speedy recovery.

Though I don't know any specifics about his injury I am impressed he re-entered the game with a broken bone. Tough kid.

Acymetric
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Hate to see a player on any team get hurt, and of course I also hate to see unc fans get another excuse for their season...hope he recovers quickly.

BD80
02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Bad break, pun intended.

No surgery or ligament damage, that's good. How significant is the "lunate" bone amongst the millions and millions of bones in the wrist?

I hope they are removing all sharp objects from ol' roy's office and home:

"We're all extremely disappointed for Ed and for our entire team," says Williams. "It's hard to lose any starter, but when you lose someone likely for the rest of the season who does so many different things for your team it's a significant loss. He's our second-leading scorer, top rebounder, shot blocker and field goal percentage shooter, so it's a huge blow to our team. However, we have to band together and try to overcome this latest adversity caused by injury."

ol' roy really needed another excuse. He still has 3 AA post players and 2 more returning soon. No matter. The heels are toast.

tbyers11
02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
If true, that might have explained some of his poor play offensively and lack of rebounds.

For the last 9:16 of the game, yes this would be an explanation. What's his excuse for the first 30:44 of the game? :D

In all seriousness, I do remember him bobbling a pass from Drew that Kyle then stole and having a rebound ripped away from him in the last few minutes. Not to mention the missed FTs. All would seem to be greatly affected by the wrist injury.

Hope for a full recovery. I don't even wish injuries on UNC players. Except, maybe, Makhtar Ndiaye.

Duke79UNLV77
02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Marshall, Bullock, Barnes, Zeller, and Davis as a starting lineup could help UNC get over this year very fast. The key to national championships lately has been having 1 or more players stay an extra year unexpectedly for one reason or another. I really thought it was questionable that Davis didn't leave to be a top 5 pick last year.

Kfanarmy
02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Hope he does have a quick recovery. Hate to see injuries. Anyone remember the play?

MChambers
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Tough break.

Given that Kerlina still has 3 healthy posts, it shouldn't have a big effect, but I suppose that it will be used as an excuse.

Guess the shoes can't be blamed for this one. Unless he fell because of those shoes.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Hope he does have a quick recovery. Hate to see injuries. Anyone remember the play?

Went up for a lay-up against Singler, who tried to take a charge. Davis went up, collided with Singler, turned horizontally, and fell on Kyle from two feet up at least. Tried to break his fall with his wrist.

It looked bad and was surprised that he got up to shoot those free throws.

UNC is soft this year, but that was one helluva tough play.

uncwdevil
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Another excuse for Roy.

Reduces the chance that Davis leaves this summer.

jimsumner
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
"ol' roy really needed another excuse. He still has 3 AA post players and 2 more returning soon."

How many of those posts are projected lottery picks this season?

Duke has five players 6'8" or taller who were McDonald's and/or Parade All-Americans. Are they interchangeable?

This is a significant loss for Carolina. And they have had more than their share of injuries this year. You don't have to like them to acknowledge this.

Kfanarmy
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Went up for a lay-up against Singler, who tried to take a charge. Davis went up, collided with Singler, turned horizontally, and fell on Kyle from two feet up at least. Tried to break his fall with his wrist.

UNC is soft this year, but that was one helluva tough play. I do remember thanks for rattling my gray matter.

DevilHorns
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
How significant is the "lunate" bone amongst the millions and millions of bones in the wrist?

The lunate articulates with the radius, and it does bear a significant amount of load onto the forearm, I think around 40% (the scaphoid bears most of the load).

Vascular supply to the hand is not incredibly great, making healing slow. I know that a major complication of scaphoid fracture is poor-healing and often necrosis; I haven't heard that about lunate fractures. What a crappy injury to have. Its going to be very difficult for him over the next few months or so. sucks.

Olympic Fan
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Hate to see this news -- on the basic level because it's rotton for the kid. I'm sure our first wish is that he makes a full and complete recovery.

On another level I hate it because it now offers know-nothing media types an easy explanation for UNC's collapse (I know Davis was lost after the collapse had already occurred ... you think that will matter?)

I don't think it changes anything as far as his NBA plans -- if anything it makes it MORE likely he does to protect his NCAA career chances. Not sure he's still a top 5 pick, but he's still a top 10 guy.

As for UNC's season, I'd say this is the last nail in the coffin, except that the coffin was pretty much nailed up after the Duke game Wednesday. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they bounce back with a strong showing Saturday against NC State -- remember the old Dean Smith axium that emotion can help a team cope with the loss of a star for one game. Buit that only applies if they haven't quit ... we'll see.

Long-term, I shudder to think about what this UNC team will look like the rest of the way without its best player (and while Davis didn't become the superstar soph that many predicted, he was having a fine season).

BTW: To suggest this is no big deal for the Heels because they have three A-A post guys left, is lunatic:

Going into the Duke game, Davis was averaging 13.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots, while shooting an ACC best 58.0 percent from the floor). He was their best player. Period.

You're going to replace that with John Henson (3.5 ppg., 2.5 rpg., 47.1 FG)? David Wear (2.9 ppg., 1.4 ppg.)? Maybe Travis Wear will recover from his ankle and bring his 3.8 ppg. and 2.6 reb. In a week or so, Tyler Zeller will be back (9.6 ppg., 4.6 reb.) and UNC will actually have two decent players in the post.

calltheobvious
02-12-2010, 11:29 AM

UNC is soft this year, but that was one helluva tough play.

I remember being very upset at Mason on this play. He missed on a foolish gamble for a steal lon the pass to Davis, leaving Kyle to try to slide over with late help on the drive. Now Ed Davis and the rest of the Heels are also wishing he'd played better defense.

ChicagoHeel
02-12-2010, 11:29 AM

I think it occurred in the second half when Davis got tangled up on a foul inside and fell awkwardly. He then missed both free throws badly. NOt sure who he got tangled up with- it wasn't that hard a foul and the fall didn't look that bad, but I guess that's the way it goes.

I feel bad because I was ticked at Davis for the lack of presence during the game. This does explain a lot.

The injuries at this point are ridiculous- our vaunted front court has lost three of its five members. We clearly weren't going anywhere even with Davis, but it is frustrating nonetheless as it contributes to this growing problem in which our players are less experienced than their class year would indicate. Only silver lining is that it might encourage him to come back next year, although I'm still doubtful that will occur.

slower
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Long-term, I shudder to think about what this UNC team will look like the rest of the way without its best player (and while Davis didn't become the superstar soph that many predicted, he was having a fine season).

I tremble with breathless delight at the potential beatdowns they will endure.

BD80
02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
"ol' roy really needed another excuse. He still has 3 AA post players and 2 more returning soon."

How many of those posts are projected lottery picks this season?

Duke has five players 6'8" or taller who were McDonald's and/or Parade All-Americans. Are they interchangeable?

This is a significant loss for Carolina. And they have had more than their share of injuries this year. You don't have to like them to acknowledge this.

Duly acknowledged. Too many injuries? Talk to the shoe.

Would Duke (Coach K) call it a "huge blow to our team?" Would he refer to it as the "latest adversity?"

Would Duke go completely in the tank? That is where ol' roy's negativity is taking the team.

I relish watching ol' roy piloting the bus as it plummets over the cliff edge.

AtlDuke72
02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=MChambers;363464]Tough break.

. . . but I suppose that it will be used as an excuse.

Sounds like a pretty valid "excuse" to me. Injuries are not an excuse, they are reasons why things happen. I doubt that Davis' injury affected this game since he kept playing, but it will affect the rest of them. Carolina's dismal season just gets worse and worse. This pretty much ends whatever chance they had to turn their year around. I enjoy it when they lose, but not this way.

Neals384
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Hate to see a player on any team get hurt, and of course I also hate to see unc fans get another excuse for their season...hope he recovers quickly.

And another excuse for losing to Duke. Did you notice that the PR went out of its way to note that the score was tied at the point of his injury?

In all seriousness, I wish Mr. Davis the best for a full and speedy recovery. UNC will need him if they make the NIT.:D

UrinalCake
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Absolutely. The number of injuries they've had this year has been almost comical. A lot of Duke fans will brush this off as insignificant, or claim that Carolina likes to exagerrate their injuries, but the fact is that a lot of their guys have missed time and if the same had happened to us we'd feel pretty miserable. In fact I seem to recall that the last time Zoubek went down several people on this board were claiming that Duke was "cursed" or that they should replace the floor in Cameron again.

The only potential bright spot I can see for UNC is that it will let some of the other guys develop FOR NEXT YEAR. I don't see any positive this year.

ncexnyc
02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Funny how so many people are blasting Ol' Roy for his foolish remark on Haiti, yet those very same people are gloating about injuries to players on the heels.

roywhite
02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Annus Horribilis for the light blue.

Hate to see the injuries pile up.

Durhamrocks68
02-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Even if Davis comes back (doubtful), I don't think Marshall is going to be the impact PG they need to get back to the elite level. Barnes and Bullock are great gets for the wing, but I'm not even sure Marshall sits Drew down. No matter what happens with Davis, UNC, in my opinion, will still have average to good PG play and Roy really needs an elite player at that position to look good offensively.

MChambers
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Sounds like a pretty valid "excuse" to me. Injuries are not an excuse, they are reasons why things happen. I doubt that Davis' injury affected this game since he kept playing, but it will affect the rest of them. Carolina's dismal season just gets worse and worse. This pretty much ends whatever chance they had to turn their year around. I enjoy it when they lose, but not this way.

I probably overreacted, but it's not like UNC had any chance of NCAA tourney play anyway. I agree that I don't enjoy their losses due to injury, and I wish he wasn't hurt.

I do think that it will give Henson more chance to play inside, which is where he belongs at this point in his career, so may speed his development. Probably also means that Strickland and McDonald will get more chances to play, as UNC goes a little small.

slower
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Funny how so many people are blasting Ol' Roy for his foolish remark on Haiti, yet those very same people are gloating about injuries to players on the heels.

are you comparing Ed's wrist to Haiti? just checking.

I think Ed will survive and go on to live a productive life as an NBA millionaire.

ncexnyc
02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
are you comparing Ed's wrist to Haiti? just checking.

I think Ed will survive and go on to live a productive life as an NBA millionaire.

An inappropriate comment is just that, an inappropriate comment.

Devilsfan
02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Hope he has kept his grades up because it looks like he'll be returning for another wonderful year with ol roy.

allenmurray
02-12-2010, 12:11 PM

I've seen a lot of well wishes and sympathy, but very little gloating. A collection of peoples' thoughts from this thread:

Sorry for him that he's hurt. It's been a tough year for him, and this only compounds matters. Hopefully he recovers quickly and fully.

Hope it heals well and fast

Hope for a speedy recovery.

I am impressed he re-entered the game with a broken bone. Tough kid

Hate to see a player on any team get hurt,

Hope for a full recovery. I don't even wish injuries on UNC players.

Hope he does have a quick recovery. Hate to see injuries.

I enjoy it when they lose, but not this way.

In all seriousness, I wish Mr. Davis the best for a full and speedy recovery.

I saw only one post that I would qualify as "gloating" (which I wont' repeat as I think gloating about an injury is wrong). But only one. What are you seeing that you think qualifies? A number of posters pointed out that their season was pretty much over anyway, or that thismay be used as an excuse,but that is hardly gloating - it is more a statement of fact.

Kfanarmy
02-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Duly acknowledged. Too many injuries? Talk to the shoe.

Would Duke (Coach K) call it a "huge blow to our team?" Would he refer to it as the "latest adversity?"

Would Duke go completely in the tank? That is where ol' roy's negativity is taking the team.

I relish watching ol' roy piloting the bus as it plummets over the cliff edge. I think if Duke had three players out with injury he would acknowledge the fact.

BD80
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
This will give Henson a chance to shine, causing his draft stock to rise to a lottery lock. Easy Ed won't stick around to risk another injury and is also a lottery pick. Zeller doesn't want to be the only post presence next year and risk being exposed, and he bolts even though he is a later first round pick.

HB is NOT pleased starting at the 4 next year!

Yes it is immature reveling in an injury to a teenager, but no apologies from me.

I truly do wish Easy Ed and most of the heel players well. I do not wish them success in college basketball, but the large majority of heel players are good kids and deserve good things at the next level. I wish the ten plagues of Egypt upon ol' roy and his household. His "aw shucks" dis-ingenuity must be stopped.

slower
02-12-2010, 12:18 PM
An inappropriate comment is just that, an inappropriate comment.

I agree that anybody gloating that he was injured is inappropriate. Gloating about the Holes losing more games is fair game.

DevilHorns
02-12-2010, 12:20 PM
This will give Henson a chance to shine, causing his draft stock to rise to a lottery lock. Easy Ed won't stick around to risk another injury and is also a lottery pick. Zeller doesn't want to be the only post presence next year and risk being exposed, and he bolts even though he is a later first round pick.

Not sure if you are being serious, but I dont think Henson and Zeller will go. I think Davis may still go, but in all honesty, I'm not sure how this injury impacts his draft stock, and if it does enough, maybe he'll stick around one more year to improve it. Remember he was projected last year top-5, and he still decided to stick around.

jimsumner
02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Some thoughts.

I agree with Olympic Fan that this injury makes it more likely that Davis will go pro following the season. There is no reason to think that the injury will not heal nor is there any reason to think it will cause any drop in Davis' NBA prospects. But it may cause him to rethink risking an injury playing another year for free.

As for K, I don't think he would use injuries as an "excuse" and Duke certainly has had more than a few. But I have heard him acknowledge the negative impacts injuries have had on the career arcs of Shavlik Randolph, DeMarcus Nelson, David McClure, Greg Paulus and Brian Zoubek, just in recent years. He has acknowedged the obvious fact that Mason Plumlee's wrist injury early in his freshmen season has held him back. Is that making an "excuse" for Plumlee? Or just pointing out the obvious?

ACCBBallFan
02-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Hate to see any player incur an injury but at least it is something that can heal and he can proceed with his career growth.

Only a team as deep as UNC was at beginning of year could absorb injuries to players the caliber or Zeller, T Wear and ED, and still have Deon, Henson and D Wear a pretty solid trio.

OldSchool
02-12-2010, 12:25 PM

And maybe this disaster (or is it catastrophe? help me out here, Roy) will lead him to dedicate his life to counseling and serving as an example to other young future NBA multimillionaires who have to miss part of a season due to injury.

Maybe he could start a foundation or something.

A lot of good could come out of this!

Lord Ash
02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I am really, really interested in what impact this will have on Davis and the NBA... I hope JS is right and that it increases the chance he leaves, because I would LOVE to see Davis leave... and Henson with him as well, because despite Henson playing pretty badly this year, I think he could become very, very good.

BD80
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Not sure if you are being serious, but I dont think Henson and Zeller will go. I think Davis may still go, but in all honesty, I'm not sure how this injury impacts his draft stock, and if it does enough, maybe he'll stick around one more year to improve it. Remember he was projected last year top-5, and he still decided to stick around.

You can generally assume that I am not being serious.

I agree that the injury will not impact Ed's draft status. In fact, in actually preserves his draft status, even if the heels mail it in and become non-competitive from here out.

The injury might induce him to go early, facing his mortality and all that.

Zeller is not likely to go, even though he has to consider his injuries as well. He will not be the focus of the offense next year, but will be the beneficiary of his ability to run on the break, and the benificiary of dump offs from penetrating wings, and the beneficiary of a lot of shots for him to be able to rebound and put back.

Still, it amuses me to think of a scenario where HB will be stuck playing the 4, something I bet ol' roy said would happen if HB went to Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I bet the rest of the team wishes they could get out of playing the remaining season, too.

FerryFor50
02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Hand injuries and wrist injuries suck. Lots of little bones, little blood flow. But 6 weeks? Really? I broke my hamate bone in my hand and I didn't have world class treatment for it and was able to play ball in 4 or 5 weeks.

trinity92
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Amazing that he played the rest of the second half with a broken wrist-- shows he's not all about prepping for the League and has some heart. Sorry to hear he's hurt and hope he mends quickly. Excited, however, for the extra points his absence will tack on to the blowout at Cameron.

oldnavy
I am really, really interested in what impact this will have on Davis and the NBA... I hope JS is right and that it increases the chance he leaves, because I would LOVE to see Davis leave... and Henson with him as well, because despite Henson playing pretty badly this year, I think he could become very, very good.

I agree with JS in that if this impacts his decision at all, it influences him toward going pro this year vice next. There was nothing that he was going to do in the remainder of this year that would improve his stock anyway. It seems the NBA is all about potential, and that is still there, why would he risk coming back for another mediocre season in CH, possibly re-injuring his wrist when he will most likely get guaranteed money this year?
Henson, I am not so sure about. Would an NBA team draft him? I mean that dude is about 5 years away from having an NBA body. Who knows, the GM’s in the NBA have done stranger things…

BD80
I bet the rest of the team wishes they could get out of playing the remaining season, too.

Score!!!!

Concise, and RIGHT on target.

Of course, there is discussion about whether any of them have been playing so far

JasonEvans
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I concur with folks saying this actually makes it more likely that Davis will leave. All the mock drafts have him in the top 6-10 players, a mid-high lottery pick. He turned that down a year ago but no one turns it down two seasons in a row. The injury will only make him understand that if he does not take the money now, it may never be there for him. He'd be insane to come back to school.

I had not considered, until others brought it up, the possibility that Henson could explode and boost his NBA stock as a result of this. That would be truly wonderful news! Henson had been thought of as a potential 1 and done kid but struggled so much earlier this year it all but eliminated that talk. But, now that he is getting a fresh chance, maybe he will shine.

Wouldn't it be fun if Roy had to endure a season with no backcourt this year followed by a season with no frontcourt next year?!?!? Maybe a Tsunami will come along so he can find something appropriate to which he can compare his pain.

--Jason "I wish Carolina would save some of their bad mojo for next year" Evans

CLT Devil
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Duke didn't use it as an excuse in 2001 when Boozer went down. We all rallied around Casey Sanders, Duhon, Reggie Love and to an extent Nate Dawg to adjust their games...the end result was positive. Good teams, and morso coaches, find a way to rally instead of throwing in the towel. Coach K has alwayd had the mentality "it's us against the world" while Roy seems to convey "it's me and my style against the players and the fanbase..." Injuries are always a part, heck we just lost our best defensive player but we're not complaining...therein lies the difference, at least this year.

UrinalCake
02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=AtlDuke72;363487]Good teams, and morso coaches, find a way to rally instead of throwing in the towel.

(waiting for a UNC lurker to make reference to 1995)

jv001
02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Best of luck to young Mr. Davis and I hope he heals soon. Seems like a nice young man. Go Duke!

sammy3469
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
One other thing which makes all these underclassman more likely to go this year is that the NBA's CBA is up and no one really knows what's going to happen besides for the fact that salaries should be going down. Most of these guys have every incentive to leave this year and at get at least one year under the belts under the old salary structure/rules.

HateCarolina
02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Amazing that he played the rest of the second half with a broken wrist-- shows he's not all about prepping for the League and has some heart. Sorry to hear he's hurt and hope he mends quickly. Excited, however, for the extra points his absence will tack on to the blowout at Cameron.

Very well said. I do think he's probably generally a pretty good kid and we all make mistakes when we're young although his was just a little more critical than ours (i.e. he chose to be a Hole). I do hope we are able to beat them down in Cameron as well, but nothing is ever a sure bet in this rivalry.

wilko
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Any one notice how when Roy starts preaching "D" his players fall apart?

My best to Ed, may he be well enuff to participate in League camps real soon.

All kidding aside, does anyone have an idea of the play sequence this occurred in? Im kinda curious what the exchange was and how this went down. I dont recall him being banged on to the point he may have been injured. Totally missed it.

dukelifer
02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I feel bad for Davis or any player that gets injured. I do not feel bad for UNC though as they still a lot of excellent players in the mix- they will just have to muddle through the season. They now will play the role of spoiler- which could be interesting. Davis's injury, however, will increase the likelihood that when the history of this UNC season is written- it will only be about how they lost games due to injuries- now their best player is down. How could anyone be expected to absorb that loss and win. It also takes a lot of pressure off Roy.

FerryFor50
02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
The more injuries UNC has, the more I get worried. Pretty soon, the lineup decision won't be left up to Roy anymore - he'll have to stick to a 6-8 man rotation and the team will gel and gain consistency and get better. I'd much rather he continue juggling the 12 man rotation he has been juggling so the team finds no rhythm... :D

Billy Dat
02-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Any one notice how when Roy starts preaching "D" his players fall apart?

My best to Ed, may he be well enuff to participate in League camps real soon.

All kidding aside, does anyone have an idea of the play sequence this occurred in? Im kinda curious what the exchange was and how this went down. I dont recall him being banged on to the point he may have been injured. Totally missed it.

It was a play in the second half when he had the ball underneath the basket and was fouled by Singler. The two tumbled to the deck and Davis was shaken up. The TV replay cut it off, but I remember Dan Schulman postulating that Davis hit his head. When I went back and watch it again, you could see that his wrist got stuck under Singler. He bricked the free throws and then went to the bench where they immediately taped it up.

91_92_01_10_15
02-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Best wishes to Ed Davis for a quick recovery.

jv001
02-12-2010, 01:45 PM
It was a play in the second half when he had the ball underneath the basket and was fouled by Singler. The two tumbled to the deck and Davis was shaken up. The TV replay cut it off, but I remember Dan Schulman postulating that Davis hit his head. When I went back and watch it again, you could see that his wrist got stuck under Singler. He bricked the free throws and then went to the bench where they immediately taped it up.

Yeh, Bonner or the other guy was saying the trainer was working on his leg because of cramps. These guys kill me. Go Duke!

wilko
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeh, Bonner or the other guy was saying the trainer was working on his leg because of cramps. These guys kill me. Go Duke!

CRAMPS, Ok I DO remember Bonner and that point in the game....
Whenever a player has cramps and has to go to the locker room I always thought it was announcer code for "Player blahblah needs a bio break"

Thanks for helping me remember.

wilko
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=CLT Devil;363577]

It aint over yet.... we may yet see the vertigo get worse, the arm re injured.
Im rooting for Steve Robinson to take over at some point in the season..

Go Stevie... whoo hoo!

oldnavy
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=CLT Devil;363577]

I have never understood why anyone would hold that against K. I mean he did have back surgery, so it's not like you can fake that! I do not know exactly what type of surgery it was, but usually back surgery is the absolute last line of therapy, and only done when there are no other viable options. It wasn't like he took time off to have a face lift. You have to be a complete idiot to think that he chose that to escape a poor season.

oldnavy
02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
The more injuries UNC has, the more I get worried. Pretty soon, the lineup decision won't be left up to Roy anymore - he'll have to stick to a 6-8 man rotation and the team will gel and gain consistency and get better. I'd much rather he continue juggling the 12 man rotation he has been juggling so the team finds no rhythm... :D

Great point. I had not thought of that as a reason for the struggles this year, but it does make sense. I figured that Roy was trying to run too much without the horses (I still think this is true), but the revolving substitution door makes a lot of sense.

I remember distinctly one time in the MD game when Ginyard was playing really well, hitting some shots that Roy sat him down. They had cut the lead to 4, and with him out it jumped back to 11...

UrinalCake
02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
I have never understood why anyone would hold that against K.

I think people have a problem with the fact that he petitioned the NCAA to have the games from when he was out removed from his career record. Duke haters think it's selfish or elitist of him to care so much about his personal statistics.

I personally think it would be ridiculous if the records from those games DID could for him. I mean he wasn't coaching the team! But I guess the fact that he went out of his way to file a petition is what fuels the Duke haters.

As for the NBA's collective bargaining agreement and the effect on salaries, it could go either way - if there's a risk of an extended lock out then that might encourage kids to stay in school.

FerryFor50
02-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Great point. I had not thought of that as a reason for the struggles this year, but it does make sense. I figured that Roy was trying to run too much without the horses (I still think this is true), but the revolving substitution door makes a lot of sense.

I remember distinctly one time in the MD game when Ginyard was playing really well, hitting some shots that Roy sat him down. They had cut the lead to 4, and with him out it jumped back to 11...

I find myself watching more UNC basketball now that they are losing because I take so much joy from it. And the box scores were corresponding my feelings - he subs WAY too much. Most of these guys are not ready to play at this level. I guess it's one of the dangers of landing great recruiting classes year after year - you have to play the freshmen to show the next crop they can actually play.

If he shortened his bench to 8 or 9 guys, they'd be in much better shape. Right now, they get into no rhythm, they look over their shoulders because they're afraid of getting pulled... no confidence. Don't get me wrong, I hope he never figures it out, because it's beautiful to watch. But that's a lot of their issue right there.

tbyers11
02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I think people have a problem with the fact that he petitioned the NCAA to have the games from when he was out removed from his career record. Duke haters think it's selfish or elitist of him to care so much about his personal statistics.

I personally think it would be ridiculous if the records from those games DID could for him. I mean he wasn't coaching the team! But I guess the fact that he went out of his way to file a petition is what fuels the Duke haters.

As for the NBA's collective bargaining agreement and the effect on salaries, it could go either way - if there's a risk of an extended lock out then that might encourage kids to stay in school.

Wow, the UNC-led misinformation campaign has worked. Coach K did not petition the NCAA to have those game removed.

In situations like these, the school has to decide whether the games count for interim coach or the regular coach. I don't know if Duke consulted Coach K about whom to attribute the games too, but there was no petition after-the-fact by Coach K to alter the record books.

roywhite
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Not a fact.

Not true.

91_92_01_10_15
02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I think people have a problem with the fact that he petitioned the NCAA to have the games from when he was out removed from his career record.

Is there evidence that Coach K petitioned the NCAA to have this done?

edit: oops. sorry. asked and answered already.

oldnavy
02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Not a fact.

Not true.

Well at least he didn't equate his back surgery and exhaustion to a natural dissater that claim the lives of hundreds of thousands of people...

UNC fans must be really warped to even come up with this stuff...

CDu
02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Not a fact.

Not true.

Agreed. Though I think that is the perception (albeit an incorrect one) held by the lay fan. That, and I don't think the average fan knows that Coach K actually had surgery.

I think the perception is (as is typically the case with any misconception) by the lack of knowledge about the details. I think the average fan thinks that Coach K just sat out the season and asked the NCAA to not count the losses against him.

sagegrouse
02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=UrinalCake;363590]

I have never understood why anyone would hold that against K. I mean he did have back surgery, so it's not like you can fake that! I do not know exactly what type of surgery it was, but usually back surgery is the absolute last line of therapy, and only done when there are no other viable options. It wasn't like he took time off to have a face lift. You have to be a complete idiot to think that he chose that to escape a poor season.

Give it a rest. The K back injury and the record-keeping for the string of losses that followed is something for UNC fans to natter about endlessly.

It is their Helms Foundation banner. The Helms Foundation posthumous awards seem ridiculous to me, but UNC didn't make it up. And their banner, while a little too much like the real NCAA championships, is one of a zillion pieces of laundry in the rafters of the Dean Dome. I hope they never take it down. It is a continual source of amusement for Duke fans.

sagegrouse

Matches
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
The K W-L thing is (unintentionally hilarious). People forget that the team WON 4 games in his absence too, and that those wins were expunged from his record. Will the Heel fans who've gone on and on about this acknowledge K as having passed Dean when he gets to 876 wins because those other 4 "should have counted"?

Greg_Newton
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Hate to see this... Ed Davis always seemed like one of the more likeable Carolina players. The anti-Danny Green, if you will. That's also just a terrible place to break a bone - I suffered a similar injury several years ago and it never really healed all the way.

I'm not sure if I buy this making him more likely to leave though... I just think he was really a borderline lottery pick before this injury, and being out of commission for 6+ weeks in the months before draft workouts (with an injury that has the potential to be nagging) can't help. Hopefully I'm wrong.

ETA: Example 2384389 of Roy Fail:

Davis...would be first in field goal percentage [in the ACC] but he has not attempted enough shots to qualify for the conference leaders.

(^from the earlier linked article)

Bluedog
02-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Ok, here's the facts for all of you:

1.) Duke sports information director Mike Cragg (NOT Coach K) checked with the NCAA on how to assign the wins and losses for the the season after Coach K left. Cragg then assigned the games to Gaudet.

2.) Coach K isn't afraid of having the losses assigned to his name and has acknowledged that he was responsible. In 2007, he said, "To me, I think I should have been credited with all the losses."

"K went on to say that he was told that in situations where a coach takes an extended leave, the record during his absence is not given to the coach - regardless of how good or bad it is."

K: "Overall, the bottom line is I’m responsible, even though, I'm not there. That’s the way I looked at it. It doesn’t make any difference to me. I wouldn’t want the wins, let’s put it that way, but you can give me the losses."

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/sportsextra/2007/02/

So, it's not like he's afraid...

loran16
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Hate Injuries. Even on Carolina.

(Also, if the injury decreases his likelihood of leaving early, this is a benefit to UNC, not a bad thing.)

Starter
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't think this affects whether he'll leave at all. Davis was previously said to be draft-worthy on athleticism and potential to improve, and this wrist injury wouldn't have a deleterious impact on any of that. It's not like he's some sort of sharpshooter where this is going to mess with his long-distance shooting, and he's young enough to heal from this. If he was thinking about going before, I doubt this would have any bearing. In fact, the turmoil this season and weirdness over there with Roy might push him out anyway. It's not like he needs to stick around and chase a National Title -- which they won't be in position to contend for anyway -- he's got one of those. Personally, I think he goes pro.

FWIW, NBADraft.net has Davis going No. 10 (to the Clippers -- I hope not, for his sake) and DraftExpress has him going No. 5 to the Sixers.

Matches
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I agree with Starter. I doubt this will affect Davis' decision one way or the other.

slower
02-12-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure if I buy this making him more likely to leave though... I just think he was really a borderline lottery pick before this injury...

EVERY mock draft had him firmly in the lottery, mostly Top 10, some Top 5.

moonpie23
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
sorry for eddie......not sorry for the holes......

eddie will be a pro next year......you think he wants another year of THIS? even with HWNSNBS MAYBE coming to town, he's outta there...

Greg_Newton
02-12-2010, 09:10 PM
EVERY mock draft had him firmly in the lottery, mostly Top 10, some Top 5.

I know he was at the beginning of the year, but those projections aren't meaningfully updated very often and I don't think he's shown as much as some were expecting him to this year. I just checked nbadraft.net, which has him at 10 right now, which I consider borderline... especially considering the forwards still ranked behind him (Monroe, Damion James, Stanley Robinson, Brackins, Lawal, Booker, Varnado). Quite honestly, I don't know if I'd take him over any of those guys if I were drafting. Hopefully NBA scouts think differently.

jv001
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
davis surely knows that the team lacks a true leader and a solid point guard. That will not change next year. He's off to the NBA asap. Go Duke!

gep
02-13-2010, 12:27 AM
K: "Overall, the bottom line is I’m responsible, even though, I'm not there. That’s the way I looked at it. It doesn’t make any difference to me. I wouldn’t want the wins, let’s put it that way, but you can give me the losses."

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/sportsextra/2007/02/

So, it's not like he's afraid...

For me... this is why Coach K is "Coach K" for me...:)

gep
02-13-2010, 12:29 AM
... Maybe a Tsunami will come along so he can find something appropriate to which he can compare his pain.
--Jason "I wish Carolina would save some of their bad mojo for next year" Evans

I think this was in jest... myself, I hope there is no tsunami disaster in the future...:rolleyes:

jipops
02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Don't know how much stock you can put in this, but nbadraft.net has Ed Davis in its 2011 Mock Draft now. If true, would be great news for UNC fans and bad news for everyone else.

RainingThrees
02-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Don't know how much stock you can put in this, but nbadraft.net has Ed Davis in its 2011 Mock Draft now. If true, would be great news for UNC fans and bad news for everyone else.

Those things throw people all over the place with no real inside info. I think they have Irving in the 2011 draft but no one really knows when he'll go.

jipops
02-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Those things throw people all over the place with no real inside info. I think they have Irving in the 2011 draft but no one really knows when he'll go.

I hear you on that. But I truly do believe Davis' broken wrist has a big silver lining for the UNC faithful.

striker219
02-16-2010, 11:51 PM
I hear you on that. But I truly do believe Davis' broken wrist has a big silver lining for the UNC faithful.

Or you could look at it like I do, that he broke his own wrist just so he wouldn't have to suit up for this team ever again, and he is now spending the time he would be practicing browsing ebay and deciding how to spend his first million.

RainingThrees
02-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Or you could look at it like I do, that he broke his own wrist just so he wouldn't have to suit up for this team ever again, and he is now spending the time he would be practicing browsing ebay and deciding how to spend his first million.

And thinking of all the questions he'll be able to answer on formspring once Roy won't be there to stop him.

natedog4ever
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
No one can really know.

There was a thread yesterday on IC in which the poster detailed a conversation that they had with a Davis family member. Said the family had made up their minds to go after this season. Said the injury actually pushed them over the edge.

I put just as much credence into that as any of these draft sites.