PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

sagegrouse
02-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the prompt, "slower." I was still in reverie over the UNC victory.

Terps at Duke Saturday at 1PM ET. CBS is carrying, even here in the Mountain Time Zone.

Some questions:

1. How does Duke defend Greivis Vasquez? Scheyer? A committee?

2. What happens to our inside rotation with Lance presumably unavailable? Can Mason build on his success at UNC?

3. Will Duke be emotionally drained after the UNC win, and UMd be newly resurgent after last year's epic beatdown by Duke?

sagegrouse

slower
02-12-2010, 09:38 AM

sagegrouse

Quite understandable, my friend!

striker219
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Nolan Smith

Is it to early too vote for that?

gw67
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I’ll provide a few thoughts on the Terps since I’ve watched all but a handful of their games.

Like several of the recent Maryland teams, they started slowly and lost to a couple of teams that they should have defeated. I attribute their slow start to (1) the acclimation of their freshman center, Williams: (2) not having an experienced inside backup (Gregory) available for several games; and (3) the early season funk of their top player, Vasquez. However, during the last 12 games or so, they have turned things around and have played much better than they did last year.

Following his slow start, Vasquez has played well in all but a couple of games and has played particularly well in ACC games. He is still a high risk/high reward type player but he seems to be playing under more control this year. He and his fellow seniors, Milbourne and Hayes, are the core of the team. Milbourne has been playing very well and deserves some All ACC consideration, IMO. Mosley is a nice complement to these three and has played well for most of the season. His excellent field goal percentages belie the fact that he is not a great shooter. The key to this year’s team is Williams. The youngster was not highly touted but he has good hands, runs the court well, plays better than average defense, and is not afraid to mix it up with the big boys underneath the basket. The bench consists of Bowie and Tucker on the perimeter and Gregory inside. All three are average to better than average reserves on an ACC team.

As I noted above, they are playing better this year than last. Their shooting, passing, rebounding and sharing the ball are improved. I see the Terps in a group of teams after the two best teams in the ACC, Duke and Wake. If they continue to play well, I expect them to finish with ten wins and an NCAAT bid. Vasquez should be in the mix for ACC POY and, IMO, is a sure fire 1st team All ACC.

As for Saturday’s game, I see the Devils’ talent and size edge plus playing on the best homecourt in the ACC being too much for the Terps. If the Terps protect the ball and shoot well, I expect a good game and for the Devils to win by 5-8 points. If not, it could get ugly for Maryland fans.

I'll post my thoughts on the questions later.

gw67

UrinalCake
02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Time for Dawkins to step up big time, and not just by shooting threes. We need him to contribute some solid minutes so Kyle can slide over to the 4 for a bit. I'm really glad this game is at home given the absence of lack and potential fatigue/letdown after the last game.

Kfanarmy
02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Looking at comparative performance, in the acc+ common opponent Wisconsin, this seems to be a fairly even matchup. Home court should make the difference, but if MD gets on a roll it could be tough to slow them down.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Nolan Smith

Is it to early too vote for that?

I'm with you on this one! With Hayes most likely guarding him, I hope Nolan has a field day!

I have a feeling that Nolan's itching for an eruption of scoring

BlueintheFace
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Here's to Zoubek setting a massive, legal screen

rasputin
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Has Vasquez been reminded about whose house it is we're playing in?

devilgirl
02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Nolan is due for a great game. Hope he really steps up. He was a little out of it with UNC.

Gotta watch Vasquez, but he doesn't always play so well in Cameron. Glad we are home.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
With all the celebration of Coach K's birthday and his 1000th. game, the atmosphere will be filled with excitement which we hope translates into a high level performance for Duke.

BleedsP287
02-12-2010, 10:41 AM
- We're 13-3 against RPI top 100 (Rivals). Maryland is 5-6.

- Surprisingly (am I wrong?) Duke is 2-3 against current top 25 teams. From my quick scan it looks like Maryland is 0-2.

- If you believe in RPI it's a comfort to note we're 4 and they are 42. I doubt we are the 4th best team in the nation right now, but I do think we're better than Maryland.

- Still, I think you throw out the numbers for this game given the big party. There will be lots of emotion for coach and the legacy guys.

Duke wins big. When we play them at Maryland THEN I'm worried. Particularly since because I'm living in exile in MD I'll have to listen to all the turtle crap if they win. Speaking of which, apparently it is normal for a turtle to eat their own feces. Don't they research these things BEFORE they choose a mascot?

gofurman
02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
wouldn't be a propr' thread if we didn't mention rest, right? LOL - I am sort of kidding with this one as the snow-bound Terps did not play their mid week game against UVA. No accounting for the weather so no whining.

However, I will mention that you combine this with the emotional play at UNC and I am glad we are at home.

jv001
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Terps at Duke Saturday at 1PM ET. CBS is carrying, even here in the Mountain Time Zone.

Some questions:

2. What happens to our inside rotation with Lance presumably unavailable? Can Mason build on his success at UNC?

3. Will Duke be emotionally drained after the UNC win, and UMd be newly resurgent after last year's epic beatdown by Duke?

sagegrouse

Is containing Greivis Vasquez. As someone stated, he does not play all that well at CIS. However we 've had some pretty good defense on him. My questions is who do we put on him? Looks like the concensus is Nolan and that probably makes sense, but that means Nolan is going to spend a lot of energy staying with him. It could be Jon as he's taller and does a good job on defense. We'll be switching on him anyway, so it could be any of our perimeter players. Glad we're at home for this one. We could use Lance for spot duty on him. Well the crazies will help make up for his loss. Go Duke!

gw67
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Some questions:

sagegrouse

1. I expect that he will be guarded by committee. Even though he is averaging 20 ppg in ACC play, his real strength is his passing. Clemson was very effective guarding him with a big perimeter player and cutting off his passing lanes. A key for the Devils will be disrupting the Terps' offense and getting turnovers.

2. I presume that Mason Plumlee will garner the most minutes in Thomas's absence and that Singler and/or Kelly will help out.

3. Coach K is the best in the business at getting his players ready for a game emotionally so I anticipate no letdown by the Devils, particularly, since it is a big day for the coach. The Terps are playing well and I suspect that they see playing the Devils in CIS as an uphill battle. I also suspect that last year's beatdown will have zero effect. They have 3 games in 5 days including a return engagement in North Carolina (at NC State) next Wednesday so their coaching staff may be looking at more than this game.

gw67

mgtr
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Is there any chance that snow will cause the game to be postponed? While it seems as though it might be to our advantage, it will be a problem shoehorning another game into the schedule later.

Acymetric
02-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Is there any chance that snow will cause the game to be postponed? While it seems as though it might be to our advantage, it will be a problem shoehorning another game into the schedule later.

I would say no. Snowfall should be pretty minimal, there have been games in the snow here before.

DeBlueDevil
02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't say I am worried but then again I am. I've watched this Maryland team play a few times this season and they looked very mediocre in the beginning of the season. But I watched them this past weekend against UNC and they look to be a very different and better team. With that said I do believe we are the better team but I just hope we bring our normal offense. IF...we bring that same offense that we had at UNC into this game somehow...I don't see us being as fortunate and pulling out a W. But that is a hugh IF. Not being negative and I do believe we are going to win but just had to play devils advocate. Something about this Maryland team spooks me....someone please tell me I'm crazy!

UrinalCake
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I would say no. Snowfall should be pretty minimal, there have been games in the snow here before.

I think the concern is whether the Terps will be able to take off from the Maryland area

Acymetric
02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I think the concern is whether the Terps will be able to take off from the Maryland area

Well I would think they've already left by now, or will be soon, so if they can't make it I think we would know already.

MChambers
02-12-2010, 12:45 PM

I flew out of Bwi last night. Shouldn't be a problem.

RelativeWays
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Any chance we get the blue devil to dress up like Shredder? That would be too awesome.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
If Maryland can't make it, maybe we can arrange to just play the Heels again.

HateCarolina
02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
wouldn't be a propr' thread if we didn't mention rest, right? LOL - I am sort of kidding with this one as the snow-bound Terps did not play their mid week game against UVA. No accounting for the weather so no whining.

However, I will mention that you combine this with the emotional play at UNC and I am glad we are at home.

This could be a slight concern for us, but ever better think about Maryland having to play us in Durham and then head back up north to College Park to play UVA, who is playing suprisingly well this year. These next two games are nothing short of huge for them and hear's to hoping they get beat down in both!! Go Blue Devils!!

Fish80
02-12-2010, 01:15 PM

We may see Singler guarding Vasquez a bit, but I suspect Scheyer will see the primary duty and is up to the task. Vasquez is big and strong for a guard but not particularly fast.

jipops
02-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Maryland likes to spread the floor with their flex offense. This is something we have had great difficulty in defending this season (see GTown). This will be an extremely difficult match up for Duke. Maryland is at a considerable advantage in quickness.

Olympic Fan
02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
- We're 13-3 against RPI top 100 (Rivals). Maryland is 5-6.

- Surprisingly (am I wrong?) Duke is 2-3 against current top 25 teams. From my quick scan it looks like Maryland is 0-2.

- If you believe in RPI it's a comfort to note we're 4 and they are 42. I doubt we are the 4th best team in the nation right now, but I do think we're better than Maryland.

Actually Duke is 2-2 against the top 25 (W No. 16 Gonzaga; No. 12 Wake Forest; L - No. 14 Wisconsin; No. 7 Georgetown).

A more interesting number is that Duke is 7-3 against the top 50. Maryland (currently No. 40) will be Duke's 11th top 50 opponent.

That's more than anybody else in the country (and helps explain why Duke's SOS is so high). Villanova (9-0), Kansas (8-1) and Georgetown (5-4) have played nine top 50 opponents (none of them plays a top 50 team this weekend).

Of course, this ranking can change as team's move up and down the RPI. Charlotte (No. 44) and Maryland (No. 40) are the two Duke foes at the lower end of the scale.

On the other hand, UConn (No. 51) and future foe Virginia Tech (No. 54) are on the cusp of moving into the top 50.

Personally, with all the atmosphere that will surround Saturday's game, plus the fact that it's at home, I fully expect Duke to win.

I do agree that Duke's March 3 trip to College Park is the team's toughest remaining game. Hopefully, we'll have the regular season title wrapped up by then.

loldevilz
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
This game doesn't worry me like the UNC game worried me...perhaps I should be more worried. Maryland is a very dangerous team with a chip on its shoulder. They have great guard play and have beaten up tall teams like florida state.
My hope: the difference maker will be Nolan Smith. He is coming off a subpar preformance against UNC and he is looking for a strong rebound game. If he scores 20+ with everyone else playing decently I think we get a win.

Kedsy
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Based on our recent history against spread offenses (Georgetown, NC State, Wisconsin, Villanova last year) I'm concerned about playing against Maryland's spread offense, but I take solace in that the guy on their team who has the ball in his hands the most is not particularly quick.

I'm not always right about these things, but I have a hunch that Mason's breakthrough game comes now. If he plays well, it would really be his first experience playing well in back-to-back games, and could lead to an increased confidence that might last for awhile (hopefully three and a half years).

oldnavy
02-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Has Vasquez been reminded about whose house it is we're playing in?

I don't think there is much chance that he has forgotten that!

BleedsP287
02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Actually Duke is 2-2 against the top 25 (W No. 16 Gonzaga; No. 12 Wake Forest; L - No. 14 Wisconsin; No. 7 Georgetown).

A more interesting number is that Duke is 7-3 against the top 50. Maryland (currently No. 40) will be Duke's 11th top 50 opponent.

I was actually counting current top 25, looks like you might be counting ranking at game time. Both looks are interesting, but I sort of prefer to look back at how we did against teams relative to where they are NOW in the polls. I guess wins against teams that have fallen out of the polls seem a little less impressive to me. So I was not counting the win vs Wake, but counting the split with Georgia Tech.

Good point on SOS too, that experience against tough competition is huge. And I agree in the end there is no way we let Maryland come in and win in our house on a weekend like this one.

Saratoga2
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Maryland is a perimeter oriented team with one guy inside who is 6'10" and 260. They have a lot of size on the perimeter and have a fair amount of experience. There are many options to matchup with them and I am not sure how coach K will choose from his lineup options. Here are some I foresee.

Mason at 5, Singler at 4, Scheyer, Smith and Dawkins at guard.

Miles and Mason at the 4 and 5 and the typical guard lineup with Scheyer, Smith and Singler.

Zoubek and Mason at the 4 & 5 with the typical guard lineup of Scheyer, Smith and Singler

My guess is that Miles and Mason will start and Zoubek will sub in and play 15 minutes or so. They may switch Singler to the 4 at times and then sub in both Dawkins and Kelly depending on how Maryland counters coach K's moves.

Had Lance been available, he might have taken Vasquez, but now it will be either Singler or Scheyer.

Kewlswim
02-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi,

Perhaps a Duke team earlier in the season does not beat UNC? This team seems to be growing as the season progresses. Isn't that what people have been clamoring for? I do believe Duke will win on Saturday in spite of losing to teams with similar flex offenses. I'm excited. It should be fun. Even if Duke were to lose :( I would still trade a loss to Maryland over a loss to the Holes. It had just been too long since we beat those guys. (I think I have anti-woofed enough so that if anything were to be construed as a woof by the woof Gods, I would have been forgiven and all will be fine.) :cool:

GO DUKE!

dukelifer
02-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Based on our recent history against spread offenses (Georgetown, NC State, Wisconsin, Villanova last year) I'm concerned about playing against Maryland's spread offense, but I take solace in that the guy on their team who has the ball in his hands the most is not particularly quick.

I'm not always right about these things, but I have a hunch that Mason's breakthrough game comes now. If he plays well, it would really be his first experience playing well in back-to-back games, and could lead to an increased confidence that might last for awhile (hopefully three and a half years).

Well there is the spread offense and there is the road problems. Perhaps it is the spread and not the road. We will learn a lot tomorrow. Duke will need to play hard and control the boards. Milbourne can be difficult matchup with Thomas out and he has played very well this year at times. Maryland is also very rested due to the postponement of their game with UVa- so that is an issue. This is likely a very close game for much of the constest. It will likely come down to late game execution. Being at home will help Duke.

gumbomoop
02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Something about this Maryland team spooks me....someone please tell me I'm crazy!

No, you're not crazy. I think what spooks you, and me, is that they're pretty good, playing well, with very valuable experience, a fine frosh interior addition, an excellent coach, who usually gets his guys to play his different system smoothly.

I admire this year's Md team, and admit that in preseason I had them middle of pack, probably at 7 or 8. Wrong. I discounted their experience, discounted GW's solid coaching, and had no clue re young Jordan Williams.

They've had strong home wins, played decently on road, including recent win @FSU, and will be rested and prepared. I'd think Duke's high from whipping the Heels carries over, however; and 3-S are plenty experienced themselves. Interesting match-up problems for both teams.

DUKIE V(A)
02-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I think the number 1 key tomorrow is to control the glass. We have a big advantage on the boards and need to take advantage on both ends of the floor.

I see another key to tomorrow's game as staying at home on Hayes and avoid giving him good looks from three. He can shoot it. We have done an excellent job on him in the past. I hope it continues, because he is the only true shooter they have. GV will get his but will need a lot of shots to get them. Lots of their other guys (Milbourne, Mosby) score a lot of trash buckets which won't be as available with us hitting the glass.

Thirdly, I love to see us get J. Williams in foul trouble early. He is a nice player underneath, but he's a freshman. They don't have any significant inside scoring threats after him. Let's take it to him, frustrate him, and get him out of there early. Then we can further abuse them down low on both ends.

Should be a great game tomorrow. Maryland is very good, but we're better and playing at home. Duke by 12.

HateCarolina
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Should be a great game tomorrow. Maryland is very good, but we're better and playing at home. Duke by 12.

For the love of all woof gods I hope you're right b/c I don't think my heart could handle another game like Wednesday night.

DevilHorns
02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I didn't even have to continue reading to know that Bilas would pick against us. As a Duke fan, I just kind of know it. Talk about the anti-Homer.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweekendwatch100212/feb-12-19

77devil
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I didn't even have to continue reading to know that Bilas would pick against us. As a Duke fan, I just kind of know it. Talk about the anti-Homer.

Jay is cleverly employing reverse psychology to motivate the Devils.

dukelifer
02-12-2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/7025268/

May be able to give a few minutes if needed- maybe more.

HateCarolina
02-12-2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/7025268/

May be able to give a few minutes if needed- maybe more.

I know the Duke medical staff is second to none, but this seems too good to be true!! Hope to see you tomorrow Lance!!!

gep
02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
As I've posted in another thread... maybe we will have our very own "Willis Reed" moment... :D Just being dressed and on the bench... that would be something.

BD80
02-12-2010, 11:47 PM
As I've posted in another thread... maybe we will have our very own "Willis Reed" moment... :D Just being dressed and on the bench... that would be something.

Might make sweatin' gary rethink his strategy

gep
02-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Might make sweatin' gary rethink his strategy

Wouldn't that be cool? Gary gets his game plan assuming Lance is totally out... then he walks out, and Lance is shooting around in pre-game. Then Gary starts sweating well before the game starts... and is totally drenched by tip-off. It might be enough to throw him off... and totally distracting him... and then he starts yelling at his bench for what's happening on the court during the game:D

p.s. I actually like Gary Williams...

ChicagoCrazy84
02-13-2010, 12:15 AM
That is awesome news. You are a beast Lance! If he is cleared to play and all, I would take it easy on him and give him 10 minutes give or take a few. Nothing too stressful. Running it on too much could make it pretty sore Im guessing.

gep
02-13-2010, 12:32 AM
As I've indicated above, just having Lance dressed and on the bench will pre-occupy Gary during the game... and maybe even throw him off... even if Lance never gets into the game... :D

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 12:36 AM
http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/coach-gary-williams.jpg

couldnt help myself

hq2
02-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm sure K won't send Lance in unless absolutely necessary. If we can rest him a little more and let him recover completely, that would be best. This might be a game for MP2 to show some more; he was pretty good against the heels, although again all of his points were off missed shots. Time for him to step up.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone know where I can talk the game online? Don't have access to CBS.

Thanks in advanced

gumbomoop
02-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Although I much prefer Bilas's anti-homer to godawful Digger's embarrassing homer, this prediction surprises me a little. I don't see this as an easy win at all, and I could imagine some factors in Md's favor: extra rest and prep, LT's (likely) absence, Vasquez's determination to make up for last year in CIS, Md's senior experience. Psychologically and momentum-wise, each team has recent road win(s), so Md will have some confidence that they can play in CIS; and Duke survived @ BC and got a maybe-ugly but emotionally uplifting win @ UNC.

Wonder whether Jordan Williams's senior teammates will be able to prepare him for Crazies? If so, big + for Md. Wonder whether MP2 reprises his work v. UNC? If so, big + for Duke. Odd, difficult matchups for both teams make this a really intriguing game.

I'll watch Gameday, expecting Rupp crowd to boo Hubert (for picking Duke), cheer Digger (for picking Md), and boo-then-cheer Bilas (for being Duke, but picking Md).

Madness is closing in. Just ask Roy.

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Although I much prefer Bilas's anti-homer to godawful Digger's embarrassing homer, this prediction surprises me a little. I don't see this as an easy win at all, and I could imagine some factors in Md's favor: extra rest and prep, LT's (likely) absence, Vasquez's determination to make up for last year in CIS, Md's senior experience. Psychologically and momentum-wise, each team has recent road win(s), so Md will have some confidence that they can play in CIS; and Duke survived @ BC and got a maybe-ugly but emotionally uplifting win @ UNC.

Wonder whether Jordan Williams's senior teammates will be able to prepare him for Crazies? If so, big + for Md. Wonder whether MP2 reprises his work v. UNC? If so, big + for Duke. Odd, difficult matchups for both teams make this a really intriguing game.

I'll watch Gameday, expecting Rupp crowd to boo Hubert (for picking Duke), cheer Digger (for picking Md), and boo-then-cheer Bilas (for being Duke, but picking Md).

Madness is closing in. Just ask Roy.

But thats just it. Bilas didn't even mention Lance's injury. He didn't mention how this could expose us on D, how this could open up MD's chances. He had already made up his mind that we were going to lose without actually even considering the individual matchups and the true starters for the game. Its all in that anti-Homer write-up. I feel when its Duke vs ____ , Bilas doesn't do his research, he just picks us to lose. It's frustrating. I don't want a Homer as a journalist, but come on man, give us a neutral looking. We are playing at CIS on K's 1000th game. Those two factors alone can account for 10+ pts.

moonpie23
02-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Anyone know where I can talk the game online? Don't have access to CBS.

Thanks in advanced

http://atdhe.net/index.html

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
http://atdhe.net/index.html

Thanks!

riverside6
02-13-2010, 12:51 PM
live tempo-based stats for Duke/MD here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3814

Thomas is starting and Zoubek replaces Miles Plumlee in the starting lineup

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Coach just said Lance is playing today!

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
He practiced some yesterday and wants to play. They'll watch him as the game goes and make sure he isnt having problem but coach says if he has won his spot, is cleared and wants to play, he cant take it away from him.

Cockabeau
02-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I HATE Clark Kelogg

pfrduke
02-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Zoubek in the starting lineup - he's certainly earned it.

pfrduke
02-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Zoubek in the starting lineup - he's certainly earned it.

And playing really well so far!

AdjustNation
02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
And playing really well so far!

17:47 4-5 Brian Zoubek Turnover.
17:47 4-5 Foul on Brian Zoubek

taht's not well

pfrduke
02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
We can really look inside against Maryland - they are not a strong shot blocking team.

pfrduke
02-13-2010, 01:15 PM

taht's not well

He's had two big defensive rebounds in traffic and converted a good layup (after a great post seal) off a high-low feed from Thomas and all you can point to is a turnover? Sheesh.

CDu
02-13-2010, 01:15 PM

taht's not well

You're making that assessment on one play (the foul was the turnover). He also has a big rebound and a nice finish in traffic. He's playing well.

CDu
02-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Smith is doing a good job so far against Vazquez, and we're doing a good job as a team in preventing Maryland's fast break. Hope it continues.

Cockabeau
02-13-2010, 01:19 PM
The Super Plumlee Brothers!!!!!

Cockabeau
02-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Thats one fine MAson!

dairedevil
02-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Here's Andre!

pfrduke
02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
He's had two big defensive rebounds in traffic and converted a good layup (after a great post seal) off a high-low feed from Thomas and all you can point to is a turnover? Sheesh.

And a good rotation for a charge...

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Zoubs mannin up!

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Zoubs is playing his brains out!

CBDUKE
02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Love our DEPTH!!

dairedevil
02-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Frustration - here in Atlanta, the local station is using a huge chunk of the screen to show school closings because of the snow. UGH! It's Saturday, nobody knows how to deal with snow in the south, isn't it common sense that they would cancel school activities?

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Feels like there are 7 guys on the floor.

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Miles completely messed up on that defensive series, but came back and made a nice shot.

A-Tex Devil
02-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I am catching up on DVR, but did I just see Brian Zoubek catch the ball under the basket and go back up without ever bringing his arms down? I may need to go buy a Powerball ticket tonight and check the temperature of hell...:D

I keed, I keed. But nice to see.

dairedevil
02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
that this team would show up for some road games? Looking pretty good on both ends of the floor.

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
How did Maryland beat UNC, they have absolutely scant inside presence, while UNC actually has a backcourt. bizarre.

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 01:38 PM
The difference is like night and day between these two games. If we played like this at UNC we would have blown them out. Amazing ball pressure and Singler is really on his game.

dairedevil
02-13-2010, 01:42 PM
The difference is like night and day between these two games. If we played like this at UNC we would have blown them out. Amazing ball pressure and Singler is really on his game.

I think that winning Coach K's 1000th means a lot more to this team than watch Hans' jersey retirement/lovefest meant to unc.

oldnavy
02-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Zoubs is having his best game of the year so far. I think the refs are doing a good job not calling the nit picky fouls and letting him play a little. GO DUKE, GO ZOUBS!

CDu
02-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Difference is that UNC has intimidating post defenders and Maryland does not.

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Zoubs is having his best game of the year so far. I think the refs are doing a good job not calling the nit picky fouls and letting him play a little. GO DUKE, GO ZOUBS!

YES YES YES! Usually he gets fouls just for breathing.

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Inspiration vs Persperation chant going down

CameronBornAndBred
02-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Gonna be hard to match this half...and Zuobek is awesome.

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Halftime. The team is indeed inspired. I was impressed with a jumper that Miles made from about 14 feet out. Good for him to not let the fact that he's not starting get to him.

dairedevil
02-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Seems like the majority of maryland's scoring is coming from fast break/layups. Nothing from outside at all. Vasquez is getting frustrated. Doesn't that usually happen to him at Cameron?

JDev
02-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Seems like the majority of maryland's scoring is coming from fast break/layups. Nothing from outside at all. Vasquez is getting frustrated. Doesn't that usually happen to him at Cameron?

The ability to get out on the break a little bit is the only thing keeping UM around. Duke's halfcourt defense is smothering them. Hopefully they can keep that intensity for another half.

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 02:01 PM

I guess its frustrating when you don't play well in "your house."

roywhite
02-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Maryland is leaking out, getting downfloor quickly on missed shots; need to get back better to stop their transitiion baskets.

That's about the only negative of the first half. Really good effort inside and outside.

ArtVandelay
02-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Difference is that UNC has intimidating post defenders and Maryland does not.

Also Carolina played no kind of defense against Maryland but quite obviously played much more inspired ball on that side of the floor against us.

GODUKEGO
02-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Did anyone notice the pick said by Dino Gregory on Scheyer with about 6 minutes left? Vasquez was dribbling with a ref 5 feet away and Gregory takes both forearms and shoves Scheyer. Zoub gets a call on an illegal pick when he leans 5 inches. Consistency refs!!!! I am recording the game and played it back and it was a terrible no-call.

jv001
02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Man a good first half from our guys. Everyone playing well. Huge lift with Lance answering the bell. Way to go Big Guy. Good to see Ryan get some minutes and he made the most out of them. Good props from Clark Kellogg on Ryan. Zoubs seems to be playing the best since his arrival in Durham. Moving very well and really knows where to be on the court. Kyle has been hitting the 3 consistently and let's hope that continues. Only negative is our failure to get back on d a few times. But other than that, a great half of Duke basketball. Go Duke!

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Did anyone notice the pick said by Dino Gregory on Scheyer with about 6 minutes left? Vasquez was dribbling with a ref 5 feet away and Gregory takes both forearms and shoves Scheyer. Zoub gets a call on an illegal pick when he leans 5 inches. Consistency refs!!!! I am recording the game and played it back and it was a terrible no-call.

Yes! I was screaming at the tv for that!

DUKIE V(A)
02-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Feels like there are 7 guys on the floor.

It does feel a little like Maryland is only playing with two guys, but I counted several times and they are actually playing with five too.:D

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Nice shot Lance! Im sure that made the knee feel better! :)

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Great way to start the half. Nolan's mid-range jumper is money, and the defensive effort is just as good.

basket1544
02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Did you see that Maryland used their next to last time out? I'm loving this game. Great spacing, using their heads, everything is coming easy today.

Go Zoubs!

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Z with the DUNK!!!!

davekay1971
Great first half, great start to the 2nd half.

Love the games we're getting from our bigs.

Er, just as I write tht Zoubs misses a put back off the offensive glass.

Zoubs...throw it DOWN big fell, throw it DOWN!

And there he goes with the dunk! That's what I'm talking about!

Cockabeau
LMAO!

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Zoubek can dunk!!!!!! Double Double baby!!!!!

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 02:18 PM
As they say in the movie Hoosier re Zoubs

What are you doing son?

I'm feelin the Lord!

CameronBornAndBred
02-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Brian Zoubek DUNKED!!!!

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Air Zoubek!

davekay1971
02-13-2010, 02:22 PM
It's like Zoubek woke up this morning and said, "Wait a second...I'm 7'1" and I got some muscle on me. I think I'll dominate the lane today!"

dairedevil
Zoubek has a double/double! Only 8 more blocks to a triple/double!

HowBoutDemDevils
OMG. Zoubs is playing like he's 7'1". I thought I'd never see the day.

davekay1971
02-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh, Nolan...

lpd1982
02-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Let's not get sloppy.

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Good time out. Lets get focused guys. Lot of game left.

loran16
In Zoo again please. I don't want to make this game any closer than it has to be.

davekay1971
Think that's what Coach K is saying right now. Possibly with a little salty language thrown in...(though no dadgummits)

davekay1971
02-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Mason has so many skills!

AdjustNation
02-13-2010, 02:28 PM
I take back what I said about Zou.. He really has been playing like a beast.. man of the match goes to Zou.. & Btw this is our most balanced scoring game we've had this entire year. Looks like we're peaking at the perfect time.

loran16
Never mind my previous comment. Much better.

DevilHorns
Kyle from way downtown, not the most high% shot....

But Jon with one of the plays of the game. Thats a senior folks.

Cockabeau
02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Whats it going to take for Jon Scheyer to get a call this year?

basket1544
02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Think Kyle's shot may have been a pass to Jon? It worked, like everything else is today.

davekay1971
02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Whats it going to take for Jon Scheyer to get a call this year?

Change his uniform to number 50, powder blue...

dairedevil
02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Maryland has used all of its timeouts. Will the end of the game be a foulfest, no matter the score? I sure hope not, that Gary concedes the game.

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 02:33 PM
The one problem I have with this game is the terrible music CBS plays at every commercial break. Otherwise, this is a perfect game.

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Mason!!!! urgh!!! Why the reach in....

DUKIE V(A)
02-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Glad people are catching on to Zoubs importance to the team. He has rarely been this spectacular, but he's been doing lots of good things all year.

borodevil16
02-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Mason is always good for one or two of those a game. I like Scheyer getting gritty down low on the layup

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Kyle. come on. low %shot for that fadeaway. lets run the offense guys.

loran16
Argg... that dunk attempt (Offensive) and reach in have gotten them back into it again by letting em get to the line.....

Cameron
Does Mason really think he's in a 24 hour dunk contest?

davekay1971
Too much time left to get sloppy

lpd1982
Settle down. Back to tight D. Offense will come. No Fouls!

jipops
02-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I really dislike how we let every lead evaporate.

Cameron
Good stretch.

borodevil16
We need an answer. Theyre are on quite a run. And there is kyle with the reverse

davekay1971
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Looks like Vasquez wants to do to us what J Will did to Maryland in their house in 2001...terrible game for 30 minutes, takes over at the end. Fortunately, Vasquez is no J Will.

loran16
02-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Looks like Vasquez wants to do to us what J Will did to Maryland in their house in 2001...terrible game for 39 minutes, takes over at the end. Fortunately, Vasquez is no J Will.

Fixed.

Thankfully Zoubek is back. Gotta be careful with the fouls though. And Kyle needs to stop taking fade aways.

Go inside and take those shots, and trust our big guys to pick up boards.

davekay1971
02-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Zoubs whistled for attemting the Tyler Hansbrough rebounding technique. Zoubs, Zoubs, you know you have not been cleared by the ACC refs to climb over backs!

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Scheyer and one!!

borodevil16
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Always count on Jon for a big 3 point play

borodevil16
02-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Good thing Z missed that last tip in. Two tip dunks in one game would have meant the sign of the apocalypse.

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:49 PM
If Z made that dunk I would've took of all my clothes and run around my house.

Nice FTs big Z!!!

jipops
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
ZOUBEK is dominant today

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Clark Kellog just said Scheyer was as efficient as a heat pump. haha

AdjustNation
02-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Good thing Z missed that last tip in. Two tip dunks in one game would have meant the sign of the apocalypse.

Z got the startng job and doesn't want to lose it any time soon.. Competition breads excellence. & I think this might be the first game in over 2 years where the leading scorer wasn't Scheyer Smith Henderson or Singler.

jipops
02-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Jon needs to stop playing so well so I can give Z the MOTM with a clear conscience.

dukestheheat
02-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Zoubs is the player of the game; I've never, ever seen him play so well. The start was a shot in the arm for him.

dth.

ice-9
02-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Zoubs looks like an NBA player today!

mike88
02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
going for 20-20!

basket1544
02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
If Z made that dunk I would've took of all my clothes and run around my house.

Nice FTs big Z!!!

Funny that's what I thought when he made the 'throws! Much harder for him than the all tip in contest that he's been playing today. Do you think he can get a 20/20 today?

DUKIE V(A)
02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Zoubs, is a 20-20 too much to ask?

dairedevil
02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Most balanced scoring we've seen in a while. 4 players in double figures, another one close, 8 of the 9 who have played have scored.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Zoubs!!! oin for Dwight Howard type numbers today. Keep it going big fella!!!

DUKIE V(A)
02-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Would love to see Dawkins score here.

DevilHorns
02-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Would love to see Dawkins score here.

agreed! He did make a drive earlier but didnt work out so well.

jpfrizzle
02-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Zoubs gets MOTM gnomesayin?

basket1544
02-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Happy Birthday Coach K!!!!

RainingThrees
02-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Happy b-day coach K!!