PDA

View Full Version : Is Nolan often neglected by the media?

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2010, 06:25 AM
As a huge Nolan fan, I get more excited reading about him than any other current Duke player (we all have our favorites). As a result, I always look out for his name in articles about Duke bball.

However, a lot of articles often a) don't give Nolan enough credit or b) never even mention his name (at the same time, you do read a lot about the 'Big 3' - which includes Nolan - so the point I'm about to make may not be valid). I just read Kuiper's analysis of the Duke/UNC game and while Nolan didn't have his best game, he still scored in double digits and was a key defensive player. Nolan was only referenced once (at the end of the article without any real substance). Scheyer and Singler, deservedly, get a lot more attention (Kuiper called them the leaders of the team). However, this team would be nowhere without Nolan (the exact same can be said for Singler and Scheyer). I just feel that Nolan doesn't receive the love that he really deserves. Unlike Scheyer and Singler, you rarely come across an article about Nolan.

My question is, why? He was highly rated in high school, has increased his scoring average by nearly 10 points this year, is Duke's best perimeter defender and, as K has said, is the best isolation player we have. Basically, his skills are unique to this team and I just don't feel that the media realizes this enough. Where is the love?

Thoughts?

cbfx3
02-12-2010, 06:27 AM
In a lot of ways I feel like he is the MVP of this team

dukelifer
02-12-2010, 07:31 AM
As a huge Nolan fan, I get more excited reading about him than any other current Duke player (we all have our favorites). As a result, I always look out for his name in articles about Duke bball.

However, a lot of articles often a) don't give Nolan enough credit or b) never even mention his name (at the same time, you do read a lot about the 'Big 3' - which includes Nolan - so the point I'm about to make may not be valid). I just read Kuiper's analysis of the Duke/UNC game and while Nolan didn't have his best game, he still scored in double digits and was a key defensive player. Nolan was only referenced once (at the end of the article without any real substance). Scheyer and Singler, deservedly, get a lot more attention (Kuiper called them the leaders of the team). However, this team would be nowhere without Nolan (the exact same can be said for Singler and Scheyer). I just feel that Nolan doesn't receive the love that he really deserves. Unlike Scheyer and Singler, you rarely come across an article about Nolan.

My question is, why? He was highly rated in high school, has increased his scoring average by nearly 10 points this year, is Duke's best perimeter defender and, as K has said, is the best isolation player we have. Basically, his skills are unique to this team and I just don't feel that the media realizes this enough. Where is the love?

Thoughts?
In lots of ways, I hope he gets all the attention he deserves this year- next year.

slower
02-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Where is the love? Thoughts?

Media types are, in many cases, just rehashing the same popular scripts or paraphrasing the same wire reports. The current scripts in vogue don't emphasize Nolan. An example of a current script is Scott Van Pelt's take on UNC's players vs. Duke's "guys who know how to play the game". Lots of "reporters" are now rehashing some variant of this. Don't worry, another one will come along.

camion
02-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Shhhh, be vewy, vewy quiet. He's hunting turtles.

vabluedevil
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Shhhh, be vewy, vewy quiet. He's hunting turtles.

LOL!

I'll have the pot ready for turtle soup!

Go Nolan!

watzone
02-12-2010, 09:12 AM
You have noticed something I've wondered about and I am in the thick of the media at Duke events. But if you think about it, Singler hasn't got a ton of pub of late either.

Still, Nolan is having a breakout season and I have wondered why he isn't getting more props. At the same time the Duke SID's are pushing him for post season honors.

Bottom line is that Nolan is having a breakout season and as Duke continues to win, you will likely hear more about him. Nolan Smith's breakout season is news worthy and we'll do what we can to make sure he gets some love down the stretch.

I cannot tell you how much Nolan has grown as a young man of late nor how unselfish he is in many ways.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2010, 09:59 AM
You have noticed something I've wondered about and I am in the thick of the media at Duke events. But if you think about it, Singler hasn't got a ton of pub of late either.

Still, Nolan is having a breakout season and I have wondered why he isn't getting more props. At the same time the Duke SID's are pushing him for post season honors.

Bottom line is that Nolan is having a breakout season and as Duke continues to win, you will likely hear more about him. Nolan Smith's breakout season is news worthy and we'll do what we can to make sure he gets some love down the stretch.

I cannot tell you how much Nolan has grown as a young man of late nor how unselfish he is in many ways.

Hi Watzone,

Thanks for that. Great to have your opinion on this matter. The only thing I will disagree with you on is Singler - I feel that he has gotten some important publicity lately, especially with Goodman's great article on him last week on Foxsports.

I really hope that Nolan continues to play great and makes the press smack their foreheads for not covering him earlier!

BlueintheFace
02-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I have a feeling the tournaments could change this... ACC and NCAA

BlueDevilCorvette!
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Nolan epitomizes what being a great teammate is all about. Some teammates can envy one another over media coverage or perhaps other trivial things, but as Nolan so often states, "he just wants to work hard and win". You often hear him give praise to others prior to acknowledging his own successes. That's the type of guy that you would want your daughter to bring home...

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Nolan epitomizes what being a great teammate is all about. Some teammates can envy one another over media coverage or perhaps other trivial things, but as Nolan so often states, "he just wants to work hard and win". You often hear him give praise to others prior to acknowledging his own successes. That's the type of guy that you would want your daughter to bring home...

Completely agree with you. Such a great player and, more importantly, such a great guy.

Disagree on the last point. I don't have kids, but if I have a daughter, she's not bringing anyone home. Period. To those who have kids, my hat off to you. I'm clearly not there yet.

loldevilz
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Nolan has gotten some coverage, but I think the reason he has not gotten equal coverage to Scheyer and Singler is that his leadership is a bit lacking. He may have the best work ethic on the team and has certainly increased his scoring, but to be a great player I think he needs to step up his game in the ACC and then NCAA tournament. Go Duke!