PDA

View Full Version : 2010 McDonald's All-America BB teams

roywhite
02-11-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/#/2010

Just announced.

Congrats to Kyrie Irving. (Josh Hairston was not selected)

Congrats also to Haley Peters, Chelsea Gray, and Richa Jackson, Duke recruits who made the McD Girls' team.

licc85
02-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Did kyrie grow another inch since last year? I was under the impression he was between 6'1 and 6'2, but now I'm seeing his height reported as 6'3 from quite a few sources. If it's true, that's very good news. 6'3 with his handles is quite impressive.

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
What happened with CJ Lesie?

flyingdutchdevil
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Did kyrie grow another inch since last year? I was under the impression he was between 6'1 and 6'2, but now I'm seeing his height reported as 6'3 from quite a few sources. If it's true, that's very good news. 6'3 with his handles is quite impressive.

In high school, the +/- for height is around 3 inches - the true height is never truly measured until the NBA combine. And even in college, the numbers are a little skewed.

roywhite
02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
3 more Burger boys coming in for Ole Roy

Reggie Bullock 6'7"
Kendall Marshall 6'4" PG
Harrison Barnes 6'8"

Maybe he can somehow put together a team?

CDu
02-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Don't put too much stock into any of the height measurements you say. They can be off by a couple of inches (even in college). Seth Curry, for example, has been listed as 6'3". But when you see him on the bench next to his teammates, he looks like he can't be more than 6'0" or 6'1".

SupaDave
02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Don't put too much stock into any of the height measurements you say. They can be off by a couple of inches (even in college). Seth Curry, for example, has been listed as 6'3". But when you see him on the bench next to his teammates, he looks like he can't be more than 6'0" or 6'1".

Don't forget heights are oftentimes given with shoes on - especially since you'll be playing with them on...

ScreechTDX1847
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Kyrie said himself that he is 6'3 on his blog last weekend.

dukelifer
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM

Reggie Bullock 6'7"
Kendall Marshall 6'4" PG
Harrison Barnes 6'8"

The roster for next year will likely be

Ed Davis
Ty Zeller
Larry Drew
Jon Henson
Travis Wear
David Wear
Dexter Strickland
Reggie Bullock
Kendall Marshall
Harrison Barnes

10 McDonald AA's. 10! That is two full teams- amazing. Leslie McDonald is the 11th man who is not a McDonald AA. Think Roy will have a hard time keeping everyone happy?

Duke will have

Singler
Smith
Kelly
Plumlee II
Irving

Hermy-own
02-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Reggie Bullock 6'7"
Kendall Marshall 6'4" PG
Harrison Barnes 6'8"

I had no idea Bullock was so tall. That's incredible height for a shooting guard. John Scheyer is on the big side at 6-5. I believe Bullock is a 2. Does anyone know if this height reading is accurate? If it is, is Bullock quick? It would be hard with that kind of height.

dukelifer
02-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I had no idea Bullock was so tall. That's incredible height for a shooting guard. John Scheyer is on the big side at 6-5. I believe Bullock is a 2. Does anyone know if this height reading is accurate? If it is, is Bullock quick? It would be hard with that kind of height.

Well Lebron is bigger and very fast/quick. I expect he is Kobe like in size.

roywhite
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Haven't seen Bullock in person, have seen some brief highlights and read about him. He is usually listed at 6'6", so he's somewhere in that range. Good long-range shooter, can also get to the rim.
Not exceptional ball handler or passer, but very capable shooter and scorer.

The Heels are certainly getting an influx of talent at the 2/3 spot with Bullock and HB.

Bluedog
02-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Congrats to Kyrie! Question: how is Florida part of the west? The East/West designation seems very arbitrary...I guess not enough talent out west this year so they couldn't avoid it. The West team includes 3 from Florida and 1 from Virginia. That's about as far east as you can get...

CDu
02-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Congrats to Kyrie! Question: how is Florida part of the west? The East/West designation seems very arbitrary...I guess not enough talent out west this year so they couldn't avoid it. The West team includes 3 from Florida and 1 from Virginia. That's about as far east as you can get...

It must be for competitive balance purposes. But's definitely weird. Especially considering that they have a C and a PG on the West team from FL schools and a C and a PG on the East team from TX and TN schools. Seems like those could be very easily flipped while maintaining some logic.

On a side note, it is crazy how almost nobody is coming from the West Coast in this game. All but four are from Texas or further East, and two of those guys are transplants from Ontario. You'd think there'd be at least some California kids.

miramar
02-12-2010, 07:37 AM

Reggie Bullock 6'7"
Kendall Marshall 6'4" PG
Harrison Barnes 6'8"

Maybe, barring another catastrophe...

gumbomoop
02-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Ed Davis
Ty Zeller
Larry Drew
Jon Henson
Travis Wear
David Wear
Dexter Strickland
Reggie Bullock
Kendall Marshall
Harrison Barnes

10 McDonald AA's. 10! That is two full teams- amazing. Leslie McDonald is the 11th man who is not a McDonald AA. Think Roy will have a hard time keeping everyone happy?

The player I'm wondering about is Leslie McDonald, who is, and isn't, a McDonald. Even if Davis departs, Graves is still around; and that means McD. is #4 on the depth chart at wing, and really #5, as HB is more likely a wing than an inside player [or at least a sometime-wing]. Hard to see how McD. could play more than 5-6 mpg behind all that talent, so I see him as redshirt or transfer. Generally Roy and his system somehow keep lots of talented players happy enough with fewer minutes, but it's a bigger-than-normal issue next year.

RoyalBlue08
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM

Ed Davis
Ty Zeller
Larry Drew
Jon Henson
Travis Wear
David Wear
Dexter Strickland
Reggie Bullock
Kendall Marshall
Harrison Barnes

Duke will have

Singler
Smith
Kelly
Plumlee II
Irving

It remains possible that Ed Davis goes pro after this year. And as crazy as it sounds, Henson could go if he wanted to as well. (He would still be a first round pick based on potential....and he might want to take advantage of that while he is still young and folks are still talking about his potential.)

dukelifer
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
The player I'm wondering about is Leslie McDonald, who is, and isn't, a McDonald. Even if Davis departs, Graves is still around; and that means McD. is #4 on the depth chart at wing, and really #5, as HB is more likely a wing than an inside player [or at least a sometime-wing]. Hard to see how McD. could play more than 5-6 mpg behind all that talent, so I see him as redshirt or transfer. Generally Roy and his system somehow keep lots of talented players happy enough with fewer minutes, but it's a bigger-than-normal issue next year.

Hmmm- He has a lot of talented players this year and I am pretty sure they are unhappy :)

dukelifer
02-12-2010, 08:56 AM
It remains possible that Ed Davis goes pro after this year. And as crazy as it sounds, Henson could go if he wanted to as well. (He would still be a first round pick based on potential....and he might want to take advantage of that while he is still young and folks are still talking about his potential.)

From your mouth to their ears.

Lord Ash
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Ed Davis
Ty Zeller
Larry Drew
Jon Henson
Travis Wear
David Wear
Dexter Strickland
Reggie Bullock
Kendall Marshall
Harrison Barnes

Duke will have

Singler
Smith
Kelly
Plumlee II
Irving

I hope we enjoy this year with UNC, because I think next year they will be in much better shape... unless the chemistry issues remain.

Amazing that we have "so few" McDonald's guys! I wonder... that feels like fewer than we've had in a while... am I crazy to think that? I don't have a chance to check it now, but...

Heh, when the leading freshman scorer in the country whose last name is "Curry" is coming on board, it takes a bit of the sting out of not having more McD AAs:)

gumbomoop
02-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Hmmm- He has a lot of talented players this year and I am pretty sure they are unhappy :)

Touche.

I doubt they'll be as unhappy next year. But, in the spirit of your response, perhaps Roy, in having driven the bus over so many of his guys this year, will soon simply drive it over the cliff. Then they could get Jeff Lebo to come in and rescue the program.

sdotbarbee
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I hope we enjoy this year with UNC, because I think next year they will be in much better shape... unless the chemistry issues remain.

Amazing that we have "so few" McDonald's guys! I wonder... that feels like fewer than we've had in a while... am I crazy to think that? I don't have a chance to check it now, but...

Heh, when the leading freshman scorer in the country whose last name is "Curry" is coming on board, it takes a bit of the sting out of not having more McD AAs:)

No not crazy I think we normally have 6 maybe 7 but it seems like one or two of them always transfer or leave for the NBA like McBob and Shavlik. Michael Thompson, Eric Boateng, Taylor King and Elliot Williams all transferred. I am not sure that unc will be better next year, I just don't know how you keep everyone happy and how you can gel with 11 or 12 kids that could start for most programs.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Anyone else find it a little ironic that the only UNC player who will be contributing minutes and isn't a McDonald AA is, in fact, named McDonald?

Shakespeare was right

MChambers
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Anyone else find it a little ironic that the only UNC player who will be contributing minutes and isn't a McDonald AA is, in fact, named McDonald?

Shakespeare was right

And he won't be contributing many minutes, I think. Not with that roster.