PDA

View Full Version : A Call to Arms for Cameron

Jumbo
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I can pretty much guarantee Coach K is going to say something like this prior to Saturday, but in as much as a building can win a game, Cameron has that capability. And on Saturday, it's time for everyone inside to step up their games like they haven't in ages. I know it's an afternoon start. I know it comes on the heels of a win over the, well, Heels. But it's a huge day.

Start with the fact that Duke is fighting for first place, and has a chance to gain some real separation from the field with a win. That's big.

Next, add in the fact that this team is legitimately in the mix for a #1 seed, and every win or loss matters on that front.

Throw in the fact that Maryland is hot, well-rested and wants nothing more to avenge last year's 40-point beatdown in Cameron.

Greivis Vasquez? Think he wants to stick it to the Crazies just a little bit?

Then there's the reunion. Cameron will be filled with Duke royalty for Coach K's 1,000th game. I can't even imagine what that's going to look/feel like.

And, finally, Duke will be missing its vocal leader, Lance Thomas. Someone has to fill that void for a team that has taken a lot of lumps, has plenty of nagging injuries and is under constant pressure. If you're going to the game, you could, and should, be that person. All of you, collectively, must be.

I've taken some heat here for lamenting the declining creativity and commitment of the Crazies. So now I want to challenge them. Do everything in your power to influence the outcome of this game. Be loud from the moment they let you into the building to the moment they kick you out. Be creative. No, don't make fun of someone's haircut or something. Go beyond that. Really do your research. Find out every little wart about every Maryland player. Exploit that info. Distract them. Follow in longstanding footsteps. And, most of all, support your team as best you can, and support them even more strongly if things aren't going well.

And if you sit upstairs? Join in. Do everything you can.

Again, I can't express strongly enough how much a win could do for this team, as it tries to take one more step from very good to legit title contender, tries to overcome the loss of Lance Thomas and tries to win an ACC title. Saturday's game is huge, huge, huge. Bring it.

jv001
02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
to make this a great week. Wins over our two greatest rivals. Remember last year when the Crazies let Vasquez have it over his comments about CIS being his home or something to that effect. Well let's remind him again it's not his home. Our fans can help our players from having a let down after beating the unc tarholes. Looking for wild and crazy crazies. Go Duke!

Duke of Nashville
02-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Then there's the reunion. Cameron will be filled with Duke royalty for Coach K's 1,000th game. I can't even imagine what that's going to look/feel like

Any word on exactly who is showing up? Festivities?

airowe
02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Then there's the reunion. Cameron will be filled with Duke royalty for Coach K's 1,000th game. I can't even imagine what that's going to look/feel like

There is very little info leaking out about this that I've seen or heard...

I do know that there have been more requests for tickets behind the bench that the ticket people can handle. There are going to be a TON of former players, coaches, staff members, etc. sitting downstairs. I would do ANYTHING for a ticket to this game.

It's going to be amazing...

Jumbo, if I could get in I would absolutely do everything in your message. If someone got me one of those Borat thongs I would wear it and stand behind the basket while Grievous was shooting free throws. I would paint "Nuestra Casa" on my chest and dance just like Speedo Guy.

For those that will be there, I'm very envious. You will be treated to quite a spectacle...

Duke of Nashville
02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
There is very little info leaking out about this that I've seen or heard...

I do know that there have been more requests for tickets behind the bench that the ticket people can handle. There are going to be a TON of former players, coaches, staff members, etc. sitting downstairs. I would do ANYTHING for a ticket to this game.

It's going to be amazing...

Jumbo, if I could get in I would absolutely do everything in your message. If someone got me one of those Borat thongs I would wear it and stand behind the basket while Grievous was shooting free throws. I would paint "Nuestra Casa" on my chest and dance just like Speedo Guy.

For those that will be there, I'm very envious. You will be treated to quite a spectacle...

Me and you both.......

Billy Dat
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope Laettner sits behind the Duke bench and leads the veterans in some salty exhorting and cheering.

bird
02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
On top of everything else, a head-to-head showdown between two top contenders for ACC POY.

Man, I am talking myself into hitting the flash auction pretty hard.

1999ballboy
02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
The relationship between Greivis Vasquez and Cameron is an awful lot like the relationship between Pedro Martinez and Yankee Stadium. They've both talked smack about the place in the past, then been humiliated, and then, effectively or literally, bowed their heads and called the place their Daddy. Pedro's gotten all the way to the point of masochism, where he seems to actually enjoy losing to the Yankees. I wonder if Greivis is in a similar position now. We'll know on Saturday.

dyedwab
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
...there hasn't been a game at Cameron that I would rather be at. K's 1000th? With Duke royalty coming from all around?

Come on, how awesome is that?

So, I just want to say to the folks going, that you with you in spirit are thousands of folks who wish they could be there but can't....so, what Jumbo said.

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I hope Laettner sits behind the Duke bench and leads the veterans in some salty exhorting and cheering.
You know..I've never seen past players do much other than sit stoically and watch. That drives me bananas, I want to see them jumping with everyone else. That's one of my pet peeves about the priveleged behind-the-bench seats. They used to be filled with students, now they need padding because those people never stand up. Maybe this game they will...
P.S. The tv crowd never sees this because the cameras focus on the active crazies.

MarkD83
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
You know..I've never seen past players do much other than sit stoically and watch. That drives me bananas, I want to see them jumping with everyone else. That's one of my pet peeves about the priveleged behind-the-bench seats. They used to be filled with students, now they need padding because those people never stand up. Maybe this game they will...
P.S. The tv crowd never sees this because the cameras focus on the active crazies.

I recall seeing Gerald Henderson at a game this year and he was pretty boisterous.

Jumbo
02-11-2010, 08:15 PM

In recent years, I've seen J-Will and Duhon, among others, very much into it at games. And a good portion of those "priveleged behind-the-bench seats" go the players' families. I'm pretty sure they deserve to do what they like, and I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be acting like the Crazies.

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2010, 08:19 PM
In recent years, I've seen J-Will and Duhon, among others, very much into it at games. And a good portion of those "priveleged behind-the-bench seats" go the players' families. I'm pretty sure they deserve to do what they like, and I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be acting like the Crazies.
I love hearing that they are into it, I wish they'd show it on TV. That whole section needs a private cheerleader. At times it's like someone took a small slice of the dean dome and planted them there.
And why not act like a Crazie? I was lucky enough to be down there last year for the Miami game, and it's infectious, you can't help yourself.

WhiteboardGuy
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I, for one, would love to see some "Fire Debbie Yow" signs at the game. I'm sure Gary will appreciate them.

roywhite
02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I, for one, would love to see some "Fire Debbie Yow" signs at the game. I'm sure Gary will appreciate them.

Maybe Battier and Jason will show up to give Gary a serious case of flashback sweats.

superdave
02-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe Battier and Jason will show up to give Gary a serious case of flashback sweats.

I'm sure Nate will be there.

Sweat, Gary, sweat.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Given that no Duke players appear to participating in the All Star weekend, I'd bet that most active NBAers will be there and many others. I have tickets to the Carolina game, but I really think this is THE ticket to have this season.

Bring a camera and an autograph book.

Jumbo
02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Bring a camera and an autograph book.

And a loud voice! That's what this is all about, remember? So where are you, current Crazies? Whatcha got?

Dukeface88
02-11-2010, 10:45 PM
And a loud voice! That's what this is all about, remember? So where are you, current Crazies? Whatcha got?

The urge to put my head throuogh a wall from reading Maryland message boards.

So far I've got Jordan Wiliams being arrested (charges dropped) and a suspiscion that Vasquez broke up...some time over the last year (last year, there was a bunch of stuff about how his nickname was GQ, from dating a cheerleader and a softball player, now not so much; nothing to confrim it though). Not much to go on. There was supposed to be a competition for digging up dirt on opponents as part of the kville numbering, but I have no idea how it's going to be distributed.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Insulting Bantering

Assault with Batteries

(too wordy for a sign, but it made me laugh)
:D:D:D:D

-bdbd
02-12-2010, 02:39 AM
to make this a great week. Wins over our two greatest rivals. Remember last year when the Crazies let Vasquez have it over his comments about CIS being his home or something to that effect. Well let's remind him again it's not his home. Our fans can help our players from having a let down after beating the unc tarholes. Looking for wild and crazy crazies. Go Duke!

Not!
Remember??
"YOU'RE NOT OUR RIVAL! YOU'RE NOT OUR RIVAL! "

Signs in Spanish I think are a great idea, such as the suggested "Nuestra Casa!" Even better if the crowd chants it.

Something making fun of the Gary Williams' rocky relationship with his boss (AD Yow) sounds good.

How about:
"Comcast = BO (batteries and obscenities)
Cameron = C&C (creativness and cheering)"
... or some such thing.

Maybe once they get down, the crowd cheers: "Riot Maryland Riot"
or better yet, a sign reading "Riot in College Park, details at 11"

A couple years ago there were pics on the web of Gary Williams REALLY drunk and red-eyed and at what appeared to be a late- night college/beach-house party, coeds under each arm, stumbling and of course, eventually, passed out. Maybe get one of those blown up for a poster with some clever caption
possibly juxtaposing a picture of suit/tie Coach K,
"Mr USA basketball" under K's photo and " Mr. Party" under sweaty Gary's bloodshot-eyes mug.

Lots of possibilities....

:D:D:D

ricks68
02-12-2010, 03:19 AM
A former player who is going told me that he heard there will be about 350 guests honoring K's 1000th and that there is only room for about 1/2. The rest will be watching on a giant screen set up in Card Gym. They will come over for the half-time activites. He said that there will be some upset guests, but there is no room for them all in cameron.

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2010, 09:22 AM
A former player who is going told me that he heard there will be about 350 guests honoring K's 1000th and that there is only room for about 1/2. The rest will be watching on a giant screen set up in Card Gym. They will come over for the half-time activites. He said that there will be some upset guests, but there is no room for them all in cameron.

ricks

According to articles in the local newspapers, about 300 were invited and about 100 will be there.
http://dukechronicle.com/article/terps-aim-spoil-party
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/334344.html

This promises to be quite an event both on and off the court.

Jumbo
02-12-2010, 01:57 PM
According to articles in the local newspapers, about 300 were invited and about 100 will be there.
http://dukechronicle.com/article/terps-aim-spoil-party
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/334344.html

This promises to be quite an event both on and off the court.

Then the Crazies had better be on their game.

GeneralGreivis21
02-12-2010, 08:55 PM
The relationship between Greivis Vasquez and Cameron is an awful lot like the relationship between Pedro Martinez and Yankee Stadium. They've both talked smack about the place in the past, then been humiliated, and then, effectively or literally, bowed their heads and called the place their Daddy. Pedro's gotten all the way to the point of masochism, where he seems to actually enjoy losing to the Yankees. I wonder if Greivis is in a similar position now. We'll know on Saturday.

How quickly you forget the fact that the General did work on you guys his FRESHMAN year, when he had a supporting cast. Much like this year we have a legit ACC center not, I love the guy but Dave Neal. The flex offense runs better when you have a traditional back to the basket scoring threat. Just like earlier in the decade with Lonnie. So yeah you guys may have some things for Greivis but he will definitley have some things for you.

forgot this.
http://bhanks.encblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/030607-dixon_indoor_large.jpg

DUKIE V(A)
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM

How quickly you forget the fact that the General did work on you guys his FRESHMAN year, when he had a supporting cast. Much like this year we have a legit ACC center not, I love the guy but Dave Neal. The flex offense runs better when you have a traditional back to the basket scoring threat. Just like earlier in the decade with Lonnie. So yeah you guys may have some things for Greivis but he will definitley have some things for you.

forgot this.
http://bhanks.encblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/030607-dixon_indoor_large.jpg

Last I remember of Greivis he and his boys were getting Triple Crowned by the Blue Devils last season.

-bdbd
02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
"So yeah you guys may have some things for Greivis but he will definitley have some things for you."

What? Foul language and hand gestures??? I thought he saved those just for the MD home crowd!

"How quickly you forget the fact that the General did work on you guys his FRESHMAN year... "

So how'd he do most recently (after coming in stupidly trash-talking about how he owned CIS last year)?
For that matter, how'd the Duke-MD series go last year?

:D:D:D

GeneralGreivis21
02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Last I remember of Greivis he and his boys were getting Triple Crowned by the Blue Devils last season.

Touche sir. This year is a different Maryland team. This game is for first in the conference. Special K ceremony and everything. The game has all the hype, but Greivis is going to pull a Juan Dixon like when he ruined Battier's senior night lol.

-bdbd
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
This game is for first in the conference.

Not true. MD is still two games back in the Wins column.
Play your 4 games in 7 days next week and see how you are then.

GG, we would like to personally invite you back to this site AFTER the game to take your medicine... ;)
Will you commit???

:p

GeneralGreivis21
02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Not true. MD is still two games back in the Wins column.
Play your 4 games in 7 days next week and see how you are then.

GG, we would like to personally invite you back to this site AFTER the game to take your medicine... ;)
Will you commit???

:p

I accept your offer my good sir. I just hope the shimmys at Coach K don't make him pass out.

Jumbo
02-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I accept your offer my good sir. I just hope the shimmys at Coach K don't make him pass out.

I'm far more concerned that he could slip on the giant puddle flowing from the other bench ...

GeneralGreivis21
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm far more concerned that he could slip on the giant puddle flowing from the other bench ...

Hahaha. I just hope Cameron is well equiped with defibrillators and people trained in the art of CPR.

Jumbo
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Hahaha. I just hope Cameron is well equiped with defibrillators and people trained in the art of CPR.

You mean to help if someone, say, chokes? Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84)?

Bob Green
02-12-2010, 09:33 PM
You mean to help if someone, say, chokes? Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84)?

Point, set, match!

GeneralGreivis21
02-12-2010, 09:37 PM
No not at all point, set, match. Leaving during your under .500 season is a choke, no not really its a cop out. At least when Gary has players that aren't up to standards he hangs in and gets 19 wins. K had "back problems" whenever his "team's" record started to dip under .500. And even if Duke wins. I'll have this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkwpAKUxv0

MURRRRLANDDD FANS ARE SO DUMBBB right?

DIXON INDOOR SINCE 2001.
THUG U INVADING TOMMORROW.

El_Diablo
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/md-football-babies.jpg

BlueintheFace
02-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Jordan Williams needs a serious welcome:

"Good Williams (points at rafters... or players if they are in stands), Bad Williams (points at Jordan)"

To Eric Hayes:

"O-Pie Tay-lor" ... too dated?

To Vasquez:

"Not Your House... Not Your House"

BlueintheFace
02-12-2010, 09:41 PM
At least when Gary has players that aren't up to standards he hangs in and gets 19 wins.

Which standards, academic?

El_Diablo
02-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Which standards, academic?

To be fair, Maryland's basketball program has shown improvement in graduation rates recently:

2009: 8%
2008: 10%
2007: 0%

Dukeface88
02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
To Eric Hayes:

"O-Pie Tay-lor" ... too dated?

Probably. I'm thinking "Ginger, Ginger" to same rythym as the airball chant.

Jumbo
02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
No not at all point, set, match. Leaving during your under .500 season is a choke, no not really its a cop out. At least when Gary has players that aren't up to standards he hangs in and gets 19 wins. K had "back problems" whenever his "team's" record started to dip under .500.
You really don't believe that, do you? Because, I mean, that's like tin-foil-hat-wearing stuff. Duke started that year 9-2, including wins over ranked Michigan and Georgia Tech. (Oddly the GT game was a non-conference matchup in Maui). Duke then lost precisely one more game before he had to leave the team. Yup, he had back surgery and subsequently had both hips replaced because he was scared about what would happen to his 9-3 team. Brilliant.
BTW, the Duke team the next season was far less talented, yet won 18 games and made the tourney.

And even if Duke wins. I'll have this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkwpAKUxv0

Touching. I'll just have to console myself with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zjAGhwVu40).

MURRRRLANDDD FANS ARE SO DUMBBB right?

Hey, you said it. Well, so did this article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/other/2002-04-09-fan-violence.htm).

"A crowd estimated at 5,000 floods the Maryland campus and area neighborhoods after the Terrapins lose to Duke in the men's Final Four. Some break into homes and take whatever will burn. Furniture is set on fire in the streets. One of about a dozen fires burns a cable that leaves thousands without TV service. Damage reaches nearly $500,000, local authorities say."

GODUKEGO
02-12-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rates/2009_Mens_Bball_PR.pdf

Maryland graduates 10% of their basketball student athletes. Pitiful!!!!!!!!

Jumbo
02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
You know, it just a shame when a some people aren't clever enough to carry on some good natured fun before a big game. But, I guess that's expecting too much from the armpit of the ACC.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread: Crazies, are you bringing it tomorrow or what? Let's GOOOOOOOO!!!

blazindw
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Anyway, back to the point of this thread: Crazies, are you bringing it tomorrow or what? Let's GOOOOOOOO!!!

Jumbo, you got me so crunk with your original post! I know our Crazies are going to blow the lid off the joint tomorrow, right guys? LET'S GI-GI-GIIIITTTT IIIITTTT!!

GODUKEGO
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
With the 10% graduation rate , how about the Crazies pass out Dr. Seuss books out to the Terps to read, well look at the pictures!!!

El_Diablo
02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
With the 10% graduation rate , how about the Crazies pass out Dr. Seuss books out to the Terps to read, well look at the pictures!!!

It's actually 8% in the most recent report. 10% was from the 2008 report.

Dukeface88
02-12-2010, 10:08 PM
You know, it just a shame when a some people aren't clever enough to carry on some good natured fun before a big game. But, I guess that's expecting too much from the armpit of the ACC.

It looks like there are about 100 people in line in line now, give or take. Hard to tell with all the tarps to keep the snow off :D

GODUKEGO
02-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Came across this University of Maryland English 101 text book. The first three pages:

Come see me, Greivis Vasquez
Come, come.
Oh, Greivis Vasquez
Come, come.
Come, come, come.

Oh, Greivis Vasquez
See Eric go down.
Down, down, down.
See Eric go down.

Coach Williams said, "Look, Greivis Vasquez
See something big.
You can see it work.
Up, up it comes.
See it work."
Greivis Vasquez said, "See it work.
Work, work, work.

Jumbo
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
It looks like there are about 100 people in line in line now, give or take. Hard to tell with all the tarps to keep the snow off :D

A line is nice. A line full of crazy, fired-up fans armed with clever cheers and loud voices, ready to create an electric atmosphere and willing to do whatever it takes to win is even better ...

DUKIE V(A)
02-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Touche sir. This year is a different Maryland team. This game is for first in the conference. Special K ceremony and everything. The game has all the hype, but Greivis is going to pull a Juan Dixon like when he ruined Battier's senior night lol.

Wasn't Juan like 1-3 against Battier that year? I think Shane was pretty happy with the way things turned out head-to-head, especially in the ACC and NCAA tournies. Juan and the boys really struggled holding leads against the Devils that year, even at home as I recall.

GG21, you're a little bit like the real GV, one good game against Duke every few years makes you think you actually did something. And that very occasional something is inevitably followed by several bad losses in ACC play. How quickly that you forget that Coach K and Duke generally owns Gary and the Terps. That and Duke's year in, year out success is what gets you so angry, hostile, and worked up about Duke. Deep down inside you know it's true. You aren't so much interested in the facts, because they are too painful to bare. Your jealousy of the consistent excellence and class Duke and Coach K have had and that Maryland hasn't and won't have in the foreseeable future blinds you. You hate Duke, because you can't beat Duke except on rare occasion. AND you can't and won't have a program or school like Duke for the foreseeable future.

On a brighter and more positive note, I will give Gary and your boys credit for owning Roy (even dating back to his Kansas days) and the Holes. On that we can agree and celebrate together.

Have a good night GG21, I don't think you will be sleeping so well tomorrow! (Insert Terps excuse here.)

Susan
02-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Seen the bad news about him testing positive for steroids? http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2010-02-13-2145867695_x.htm

Very sad news indeed. :(

At least I can continue to revel in the fantastic win today...but for me reading this is a little like how I felt when the Tiger Woods news first broke. Sad.