PDA

View Full Version : Possible Starters/Rotation for Saturdays game against UMD?

DeBlueDevil
02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
With the news that Lance will most likely be out for Saturday's game against the Terps but thankfully not for the year, I figured I'd see what everyone thought the lineup would be to begin the game and any ideas about the rotation.

My thoughts are since Maryland is a little tall when it comes to SF to C (to my knowledge), I think we might go with the following Starters:

Jon
Nolan
Kyle
Mason
Miles

I originally thought K might go small as he did with UNC and start Andre at 3 and then Kyle at 4 but I just don't think Andre is fully back yet. Perhaps Kelly may step in? I don't think that who starts the game really matters as much as the rotation during. Whatever we do though Nolan has to play great D on Vasquez. With that said...have at it!

BlueintheFace
02-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I'll be mildly surprised if he starts both Plumlees together. It doesn't make a lot of strategic sense rotation-wise. Then you got Kelly and Z playing minutes together...

airowe
02-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I'll be mildly surprised if he starts both Plumlees together. It doesn't make a lot of strategic sense rotation-wise. Then you got Kelly and Z playing minutes together...

I don't see why. We could just as easily sub Zoubs for Miles, giving us the Z/Mase combo and then bring in Andre for Zoubs to go small. Sub Miles or Ryan back in for Andre. There are a ton of combos where Z and Ryan would never play together. They have played together once this season at least once though so its not as if K is adverse to it. I don't really like to see it.

I'd guess the Plumlees will start just because Andre is our only bench guard.

Bob Green
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
After the BC game, I stated Zoubek had earned a spot in the starting line-up. Against Carolina, Mason Plumlee played a very good game, therefore, I'm comfortable with either player starting. For the record, I'll predict Mason gets the nod to start alongside his brother against Maryland. With Thomas unavailable, I expect Maryland to attempt to pressure full court after made baskets. The big men on the court will have to be prepared to help break the press.

CDu
02-11-2010, 03:20 PM
My guess:
5: Miles/Zoubek/Mason
4: Mason/Singler/Kelly
3: Singler/Dawkins/Kelly
2: Smith/Dawkins
1: Scheyer/Smith

Minutes will come down to foul trouble and performance.

I think Mason will start at the 4 along with our big three. At the 5, I think Miles in the starting lineup for confidence reasons, but bringing Zoubek in quickly. Then, when Mason needs a break, he comes back with either Kelly or Dawkins (moving Singler to the 4).

Conversely, I could see Coach K staggering the Plumlees to maintain athleticism at the 4/5 spot throughout the game. But that athleticism could be maintained by going with Singler at the 4 whenever Mason needs a rest. So I don't think that it is a given that he would bench Miles.

jv001
02-11-2010, 03:20 PM
After the BC game, I stated Zoubek had earned a spot in the starting line-up. Against Carolina, Mason Plumlee played a very good game, therefore, I'm comfortable with either player starting. For the record, I'll predict Mason gets the nod to start alongside his brother against Maryland. With Thomas unavailable, I expect Maryland to attempt to pressure full court after made baskets. The big men on the court will have to be prepared to help break the press.

Mason would be valuable in breaking the press, but we will miss Lance inbounding the ball. Matter of fact Kelly could probably help break the press. He has good skills and I don't know if Dre handles the ball well enough to help in breaking a press. Going to be interesting. Go Duke!

jimrowe0
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I think Plumlee, Plumlee, Singler, Smith, Scheyer

ice-9
02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
If you look at the cumulative +/- stats, the best lineup with Miles at center is Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles (x21) 82-60 (+22).

But the better lineup is Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Zoubek (x39) 130-98 (+32) and this is what I expect to see most of until Thomas is back.

I actually think Kelly is a decent option -- as has been pointed out, he is great at feeding the post and can pull defenders out which leaves the other post more room.

On lineups with Dawkins and Singler at the 4...
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Zoubek (x14) 74-52 (+22)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly (x9) 23-9 (+14)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Miles (x17) 61-49 (+12)

MB in MD
02-11-2010, 04:20 PM
IIRC Zoubek had a monster defensive game against the Terps last year and completely disrupted their inside offense. Of course this year's Terps are not last year's, and part of that is how Jordan Williams playing inside, but I'd pump Z up about duplicating last year's effort and give him a start.

Matches
02-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I think Plumlee, Plumlee, Singler, Smith, Scheyer

This. I figure Dawkins and Zoubek will get most of the minutes off the bench, though Kelly will play some as well.

K will try different combinations as the game progresses and gravitate toward the one(s) that are most effective.

hq2
02-11-2010, 04:40 PM
I'd say he starts both Plumlees. With Lance in, starting Zoubs (sometimes) makes sense. Without him, we'd be too slow on D (not that the Plumlees are that much quicker, but they can move some away from the basket), so I'd
see both of them in together. Hopefully, they'll both start moving more away from the basket to free up the big three and create more pick and rolls.

loldevilz
02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
My guess is that he starts Zoubek and Mason. I could be wrong but I have a few reasons
1. Zoubek and Mason usually come off the bench together
2. Mason had a huge game against UNC. I think that K thinks that Mason is starting to hit his stride.
3. Zoubek also has been playing pretty well the last few games (though the stats tell a different story) and had a big game against maryland last year

Of course, K may want to avoid shaking up things too much, but changes will need to come with Lance's absence

whereinthehellami
02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I like the Plumlee boys playing together as they seem to be on the same page with each other and to push each others play.

Jumbo
02-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I generally don't care about starting lineups, but do care about finishing lineups. That said, I do think this game's starting lineup matters, in that it has to set a tone for what we're going to do without Lance and another problem area.

First, Mason Plumlee has to start. We've all talked about how he was the guy who could take this team to another level. He's coming off a great game on the road. He has to be out there right away to build on that.

The question is the other big spot. It's been Miles all year. Do you really want to mess with his confidence? Probably not. On the other hand, Zoubek and Thomas are Duke's two best positional defenders. They communicate and organize the D better than the Plumlees. Without Thomas, Zoubek suddenly becomes much more important in that regard. Plus, it might be the right time to send Miles a step-up message by starting Zoubs. We shall see.

Regardless, all of those guys will play a lot. The question is what happens with Lance's minutes, and what happens if the Plumlees and Zoubek continue their trend of heavy fouling?

K made it clear last night that Dawkins will play and that Kyle will get some run at the 4. That's probably Duke's best offensive lineup. All Dawkins has to do in that set is stand in the corner to space the floor. It takes his poor ballhandling out of the equation. It also frees up Singler to be more of a screener and to use his quickness against bigger players. On the other hand, we run less motion with this group.

Kelly will get some burn, although Maryland (particularly with Milbourne at the 4) is not a great matchup for him. But given the propensity for the 3 other bigs to pick up silly fouls, Kelly will have to play some inside. And, of course, I'm sure K will play each of the Big 3 for the full 40, or close to that, provided they are healthy and avoid foul trouble.

The one combo I don't want to see -- and which we haven't seen since the very beginning of the season -- is Zoubek and Miles in together. I just don't think that works at either end.

I see K getting all three subs in the game early and trying to get as much first-half action as possible, before settling on a couple of different combinations to ride in the second half.

Here's hoping Andre and Ryan embrace the opportunity, Mason builds off the UNC game and fouls aren't a problem!