PDA

View Full Version : My Duke vs. UNC Highlight Video

Mrezt
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Here is a highlight video from the UNC game that i stayed up all night making. I have some experience in video editing but none with editing basketball/sport footage so i thought that i would give it a go. Re-watched the whole game and made notes of certain plays (keep in mind this was at like 4am and i now realized i missed some good ones) and then went back again and recorded them.

I now have respect for people that make these ;) Editing the video and making all the seperate clips go together is harder than it seems. I'd say it took me around 3 hours total (to edit).

Anyways, if i get some positive feedback on this then i might make some again in the future. Hopefully you enjoy it.. The clips are in chronological order

P.S. Dont let the title fool you, it's only clips of Duke plays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R9zBs6vH6U

UrinalCake
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Great job! I really enjoyed this and would love to see more if you decide to do another one. I especially liked how you blended in the announcers' commentary.

bfree
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Nice work!

aro24
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Very well done. Thanks for taking the time to do this and to share. :D

ARo24

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
MORE!!!!!
Love, Ima

BlueDevilCorvette!
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Mrezt, wow that was a tight video especially considering you did it late at night. I really appreciate you sharing this and hope you have the energy to do more. Excellent job cuz!

lpd1982
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Fantastic! Thanks so much for the effort. Your work is appreciated.

oldnavy
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Very nice indeed! I really enjoyed that, got anymore coming???

Mrezt
02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys

I wont be able to for the Maryland game cause it'll be on CBS and i need ESPN 360 for this (for the replay).

KenTankerous
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Very nice job! I'll have to send this link to my ladylove. She is a huge Duke fan but gets too worked up to watch the UNC games. She catches the highlights on SportCenter but this is so much better!

Thanks!

summerwind03
02-11-2010, 12:58 PM
My 4 year old and I loved it, thanks!

Richard Berg
02-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Nice! There's a real art to making these -- and you've got it.

whereinthehellami
02-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Great job. Looked like it could have been on ESPN. I watched it a couple of times. Thanks.

cspan37421
02-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Well done - esp. the transitions and slo-mos. You made it look like we shot well from the field!

DUKIE V(A)
02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Loved it. Excellent job. Just watched it twice and want to share it with someone else so I can watch it a third. Thank you for sharing. Loved the slow mos of the balls going through the nets.

cruxer
02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Great job! Very creatively and professionally done. And just how I like it, a lot of our highlights and none of theirs! ;-)

-c

dukelifer
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Hard to make such a sloppy game look good- nice work!

DukeUsul
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
That was great.

DeBlueDevil
02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Awesome video man! Got me hyped up just watching it again...man how good it feels!

Mrezt
02-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Haha..i have my notecard still with all the times written on it (times from the ESPN360 video not the in-game clock) and the average span of nothing exciting happening is around 2 minutes or so. Except for one sequence during the first half where my time's go from 5:36 all the way to 20:07

somf4eva
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
great job! I love your choice of music.

the blueplanet videos are nice, but they only feature a few plays. Very Cool!

AZLA
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for putting this together – enjoyed it thoroughly. Long time reader first time post(er).

I didn't get to see the last ten minutes of the game and I wanted my first post to be about something positive. I viewed highlights on Sports Center, but I don't recall them including Mason's reverse dunk off a rebound in Tarheel traffic. Sweet! I also liked how you included Z's nifty pass in the lane to Singler. This supplemented well what I missed.

Plus, your highlights weren’t oozing with hyper sappy zingers made by goofy commentators who don’t know if they are trying to be comedians or sports reporters. Sorry if I'm projecting ;) , but I enjoyed the music.

What struck me about your reel was how much more relaxed and in the moment Duke played in the final minutes.

I liked the pacing of your highlights… you didn't linger too long and you didn't get too fast ahead in relationship to the balance of entire game. Granted, the end of the game always deserves more highlights unless it’s a blowout.

It's gems like this that make this board so interesting. If you don't value sleep, I'll be looking forward to your next highlight reel!

Thanks.

mapei
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM

My sentiments exactly. Well done!

Mrezt
02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
It's gems like this that make this board so interesting. If you don't value sleep, I'll be looking forward to your next highlight reel!

Haha, well i can't say i do. Only slept an hour and a half last night.. still holdin up.

But after seeing that this video was liked by people i'm definitely going to make one again in the future. Like i said before though, it'll have to be a game that is replayed on ESPN360. This one was real fun to make and so i'll be wanting to make another, though i can't say ill have it up as fast as this one due to school being busy.

I'm not sure what remaining games are scheduled to be on ESPN, except for the next UNC game. So at the least expect another Duke/UNC video :)

ice-9
02-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Really, really good job, much better than the highlight from ESPN.

sivartrenrag
02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Great video. Probably one of the better ones I've seen. Can't wait to see your next ones!

elvis14
02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Well done. On ESPN they showed lots of UNC highlights. I double checked and UNC lost the game! I liked your version much better. Loved the 3 by Jon where you slow mo'd the release then switched to the view of the swish!

Richard Berg
02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
But after seeing that this video was liked by people i'm definitely going to make one again in the future. Like i said before though, it'll have to be a game that is replayed on ESPN360.
I don't have time to do my own editing & archiving anymore (sorry DBR!) but I still record every game on my computers. Point being: if you want HD source material, send me an email.

bass-piscator
02-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I didn't see it when I watched the game last night but look at the smile on Brian's face after Singler lays it up after his excellent pass. Can we be rooting for better kids! Awesome video.

Indoor66
02-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Terrific video - very professional for your first shot at sports work. Thanks. I hope you do some more.

DFife90
02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Awesome Video! My wife can't stand to be in the same room with me during a Duke-UNC game. This way I could show her what she missed. Loved the soundtrack too.

Dukeface88
02-11-2010, 11:49 PM
I've also had some experience with editing (as a part-time/summer job), but haven't done much sport stuff, so this was very interesting to me.

I thought the video had good pacing, espescially with the music. The transitions were well done; you edited on the motion and didn't overuse the more elaborate tools. As far as selection, the only play that came to mind that wasn't included was the early Zoub block. Great work.

If you were interested in doing highlights clips from the Maryland game and know someone with a DVR, I belive it's possible to to get clips from a DVR by recording the file to a DVD, and then ripping it from the DVD onto a computer (you might also be able to download them directly, but I think the files are Linux based for some reason).

tele
02-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Very nice work, always good to see those shots falling, even in replays.

DukeBlood
02-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Great work. The only thing I thought it was missing was Nolans 360 spin for a layup attempt. I know he missed it, but it was still a thing of beauty watching him move(although he spun too far, and ended up trying to lay it up under the basket lol)..

Anyway, Really enjoyed it. Hope to see more in the future!

Mrezt
02-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Great work. The only thing I thought it was missing was Nolans 360 spin for a layup attempt. I know he missed it, but it was still a thing of beauty watching him move(although he spun too far, and ended up trying to lay it up under the basket lol)..

Anyway, Really enjoyed it. Hope to see more in the future!

Ha, trust me if he would have made that shot it would have definitely been in. I agree the move was nice but the fact that he missed the shot, in my opinion, would have led to the end of that sequence as being anti-climatic and would have taken away from the impressive spin.

And why I am still up? :P

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Great Job, had to watch it twice.