PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. North Carolina (Feb. 10)

Jumbo
02-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the game at North Carolina?

OldSchool
02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
IMHO, Jon won this game by sticking those two huge 3s right in the face of good defense.

And Kyle is just tough as nails.

Glad Nolan brought it in the second half.

Jackson
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Scheyer was the MAN tonight! That last 3 was a dagger! What a great feeling to beat the holes at the wine and cheese dome!

Jumbo
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I thought Mason Plumlee was terrific. I was all set to give it to him ... until Scheyer pulled himself out of a rough shooting night three absolutely HUGE shots to bring home the win. That's a senior stepping up, folks.

mike88
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I can't decide between Kyle and Jon- both were huge
Props to Nolan for a great second half
Much better job by Mason in terms of playing smart

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Great game by Mason, great game by Singler. But Jon really was great. That 3 towards the end of the game was a heartbreaker for UNC. Thank god!

Random note - is it me, or does a Duke freshman always have an amazing game against UNC? Demarcus, Jon, Mason...

dukestheheat
02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
The true value of a senior going down the stretch! Way to go Duke and thank you Jon! I don't care how we get this game done, we did it.

dth.

pamtar
02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Jon and Kyle were great. Bench stepped up a little. I voted for Lance though. He played like he always does - hard as hell. Hope he's OK...

Duvall
02-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Gotta respect the ONIONS.

somf4eva
I voted for Kyle because of his constant hard playing in the face of a great defense tonight. He also was the bright spot in an abysmal shooting start for the team.

Jon could get it as well.

Also, Z with two GREAT plays at the end there. I am really starting to enjoy seeing him play.

Hope Lance is ok.

geraldsneighbor
I said Jon, but easily a case could be made for Mason. With Lance going down Mason made some huge plays to keep us in the game. Hopefully, Lance will be okay.

Billy Dat
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
It's got to be Jon.

As for Mason, amazing that when it clicked for him in the second half, we were a totally different team...our spacing was better on offense, we had a shot blocking presence, he was active and not committing stupid fouls. I liked the look with he and his brother and he and Zoubek (who was also solid down the stretch). Depending on Lance's injury, we may be seeing those combos by default.

mgtr
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Tough to choose. I voted for Jon, but was impressed by Mason, maybe his best game. He needs more confidence to go to the hoop with authority. Of course, Kyle overall and Nolan in the second. Zoubs was Zoubs. Thomas until he got hurt. We have a lot of very good players, few outstanding. Except our S boys.

GoingFor#5
02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
I picked Jon. Led us down the stretch.

Mason was good, yes, but he still makes some immature plays. He has a habit of getting away with pushes on the lower back to get rebounds and got away with at least 1 clear one today. Also, the backboard slap on the dunk is a T 9 times out of 10 and I noticed the ref have a word with him the next time back.

arnie
02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Tough to choose. I voted for Jon, but was impressed by Mason, maybe his best game. He needs more confidence to go to the hoop with authority. Of course, Kyle overall and Nolan in the second. Zoubs was Zoubs. Thomas until he got hurt. We have a lot of very good players, few outstanding. Except our S boys.

So Thomas may have been Most Oustanding Player until he go hurt. Amazing viewpoint.

magjayran
02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I went with Kyle. John hit those big shots late but it seemed like there was a time when things could go really bad and Kyle made a play. Can't go wrong. Nice game by Mason as well.

Delaware
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Kyle shot the best of any of the big three (although that's not saying miuch) and was the only one hitting in the first half when we were ice cold, inlduign 4 of 4 from 3.
His line...
7-18 FG, 4-5 3PG, 1-2 FT, 9 Reb (3 Offensive) 2 Ast 2 St, 0 TO's 19 Pts
... was pretty darn good.

Jon was of course clutch down the stretch and had a 5:1 A/TO night.... very impressive.
Mason had 9 boards, 6 on the offensive end... and held up under pressure better than he has lately.

But I voted for Singler.... oh well.

Newton_14
02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Jon Scheyer closed the door on the holes with clutch 3's, the biggest one being his 3 that answered Graves. And major props to Mason for stepping up and making critical plays.

But I voted for Singler. He was money all game long and kept us in it when Jon went cold and Nolan was struggling. Without the play of Singler, we may dig a hole we cannot get out of.

Great Great Win. And to the poster who suggested LT getting hurt was a good thing... well.. shame on you. That is about as nice as I can state my feelings on that...

jipops
02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm completely torn between Jon and Kyle. Kyle was consistently good the entire game and Jon was absolutely clutch. I'm going to have to sleep on this one.

ACCBBallFan
02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
As usual, Jon Scheyer with honorable mention to Kyle Singler

Rating Players
79 Jon Scheyer, G
76 Kyle Singler, F

53 Will Graves, G-F
51 Nolan Smith, G
50 TOTALS-Duke

47 Larry Drew II, G
47 Deon Thompson, F
44 Marcus Ginyard, G-F
43 Mason Plumlee, F
40 Ed Davis, F

39 TOTALS-UNC
34 John Henson, F

27 Lance Thomas, F
21 Dexter Strickland, G

19 Miles Plumlee, F
14 Brian Zoubek, C
12 David Wear, F

09 Andre Dawkins, G
01 Leslie McDonald, G
01 Ryan Kelly, F

chrisheery
02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I love Jon as much as anyone, but I really am surprised to see he is leading this vote. I actually thought this was one of the worst games he played all year. Maybe in his whole career. The 2 big threes really changed the entire game, but we never would have needed them if he had played up to his usual standard the rest of the game.

Anyway, I voted for Mason because he came in and did exactly what we needed him to do after we lost Lance. Played great defense, boxed out, got rebounds, and made the dunk that changed the momentum completely in our favor. If we had a few more put-backs like that, the game never would have been close. Love his aggression when he is close to the rim. Now we need him to do that when he gets it on the post instead of fading away.

CameronBornAndBred
02-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Jon Singler was great, but that Kyle Scheyer dude broke the game open. Tough choice, I went with Mr. S.

Bob Green
02-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I voted for Mason because he came in and did exactly what we needed him to do after we lost Lance. Played great defense, boxed out, got rebounds, and made the dunk that changed the momentum completely in our favor.

Mason played a great game and I really like the big spin move he has displayed several times this year. The move isn't entirely there yet, but he will score a lot of points in future games with that move.

As far as MOTM goes, I voted for Jon Scheyer. He was the Ice Man during crunch time. Moreover, he played great defense throughout the game and great defense in a low scoring game is vital.

CDu
02-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I thought Mason Plumlee was terrific. I was all set to give it to him ... until Scheyer pulled himself out of a rough shooting night three absolutely HUGE shots to bring home the win. That's a senior stepping up, folks.

Agreed. Those two 3s he hit late in the second half were absolute daggers. He had a tough night inside the 3pt line, but man did he come up big from 3 when we needed it.

chrisheery
02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Thats a good point, Scheyer's defense was exceptional all game. I looked at the stats and they don't support what I said. Maybe I just expect too much from Jon. He's such a stud. I still vote for Mason for stepping up, but Jon played really well. I'm an idiot.

BD80
02-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Kyle would have had my vote if he had made free-throws

2 vote for Ryan? Time for Parrish's poll attacks.

Z had a great game.

HateCarolina
02-11-2010, 12:41 AM
I had to go with Kyle tonight, but all in all I think it was an all around good team effort. That rebound by Zoubek in traffic with about 2:53 left almost made me drop my daughter from my lap!!

I hope Kyle can keep up with the great play he has shown as of late. We'll need him to be consistent down the stretch so that we can hopefully make a run into late March and hopefully into April!!

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Scheyer looked like JJ after he nailed that last three. He shook his head coming back up the court, like he's saying you just can't stop this. I love it!

devildeac
02-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Jon. By a 3 over Kyle who played well also. Fine game from Mason, too.

Battierfan01
02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Jon and Kyle both played a great game, but my vote goes to Jon. Those late baskets were HUGE!! Great win guys!! :)

Johnboy
02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Jon seems to be running away with the voting here, and he got mine, too, but I thought, first that it was a great team effort more than anything, but having to choose, Jon and Kyle were best individually.