PDA

View Full Version : The official piling on Roy Williams thread

Pages : [1] 2

BlueintheFace
02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Discussion of Ole' Roy has been bleeding in and out of all the Carolina threads, so I thought we might confine the discussion to one thread with the appropriate title.

Now, in the spirit of the rivalry, I would like to point everybody's attention to this quote. I just have no words to describe it. All I can say is that I am disgusted:

"Our massage therapist told me, 'You know, coach, what happened in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you're having is a disappointment,' " said Williams. "I told her that depends on what chair you're sitting in. It does feel like a catastrophe to me, because it is my life."

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/02/09/duke.north.carolina/index.html

Duvall
02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Now, in the spirit of the rivalry, I would like to point everybody's attention to this quote. I just have no words to describe it. All I can say is that I am disgusted:

If Mike Krzyzewski said this, the press would make sure it was inscribed on his tombstone. But Roy said it, so it will be forgotten by Friday.

airowe
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
WhatADouche.

Here's video of the egotistical head coach.

http://ow.ly/15WuF

This is the same man who took off his sneakers during the Coaches vs. Cancer game because that "wasn't working."

It's all about :roy...

oldnavy
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
This is kind of freaky! I just posted on the Overreaction thread I started and I had not seen this story. WOW! It is more appropriate on this thread now, Moderators, can you please move? Thanks.

Battierfan01
02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
WhatADouche.

Here's video of the egotistical head coach.

http://ow.ly/15WuF

This is the same man who took off his sneakers during the Coaches vs. Cancer game because that "wasn't working."

It's all about :roy...

Yeah I noticed that he wasn't wearing the white shoes during the coaches vs. cancer game, but his assistant coaches were. What is the story behind this??

oldnavy
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah I noticed that he wasn't wearing the white shoes during the coaches vs. cancer game, but his assistant coaches were. What is the story behind this??

THis guy has to be the biggest TOOL ever! Unbelievable! The comment I made about following him into battle, well I have a feeling he wouldn't be out in front for very long! There is a battlefield solution for this kind of "leadership":eek:.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Apparently, Roy couldn't give a s*** about Haiti either.

airowe
02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Here's the story:

http://www.scout.com/2/942795.html

How desperate was North Carolina’s coaching staff at halftime Sunday night? Roy Williams changed from wearing sneakers, which were part of a promotional deal for Coaches Against Cancer, and put on his usual dress shoes. It didn’t work.

Stray Gator
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I must admit, it would have been fascinating to see the expression on Dean Smith's face when he was reading that quote. Roy is UNC's coach, so it's for them to decide whether they are proud of the way he is representing their school and program during this "test of character-time of troubles." But I'm not sure I've ever heard a college head coach descend to this level of public self-pity. Whether Roy is deliberately projecting this attitude in public based on the notion that it might motivate his players, or is simply so obtuse and self-centered that he is oblivious to the fact that these statements could be perceived as a thinly disguised attempt to blame his players for making a "catastrophe" of his life, it certainly is a bizarre statement.

oldnavy
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
My reason for starting this thread was to discuss what I believe to be Roy's overreaction to what was a really bad season and is fast becoming a dismal season.
Roy acts as if he is about to disembowel himself after each loss. I think that if he truly feels the way he projects himself to feel, then he has major issues. Sure he is driven and this is his profession, but come on! He has won 2 NC in 5 years, is a HOF coach and has a very good recruiting class coming in next year to balance with what he has returning. To hear him, you would think that life is all but over. What about a little perspective Roy?
He has not impressed me with how he has handled losing. I would find it very hard to follow this man into battle.

roywhite
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
The "aw, shucks" "dadgummit" Good old boy, Ole Roy mask is being peeled away.

What it reveals is not pretty.

calltheobvious
02-10-2010, 01:37 PM
My reason for starting this thread was to discuss what I believe to be Roy's overreaction to what was a really bad season and is fast becoming a dismal season.
Roy acts as if he is about to disembowel himself after each loss. I think that if he truly feels the way he projects himself to feel, then he has major issues. Sure he is driven and this is his profession, but come on! He has won 2 NC in 5 years, is a HOF coach and has a very good recruiting class coming in next year to balance with what he has returning. To hear him, you would think that life is all but over. What about a little perspective Roy?
He has not impressed me with how he has handled losing. I would find it very hard to follow this man into battle.

Aw, come on everybody. Ol' Roy's just a competitor! If he didn't work so hard, if he didn't want to win so badly, this season wouldn't be bothering him at all. Roy's reaction to losing is a good sign!

My favorite part of the Heels' collapse has been watching the mental gymnastics performed by their fans to rationalize Roy's infantile behavior.

jipops
02-10-2010, 01:37 PM
If Roy were coaching a mid-major or a program that fetches only the occasional top recruit, doesn't one get the impression he would have fallen off the deep end a long, long, long time ago. If he has endured such rough times growing up, why is he cracking up so bizarrely about this?

91_92_01_10_15
02-10-2010, 01:48 PM
"Our massage therapist told me, 'You know, coach, what happened in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you're having is a disappointment,' " said Williams. "I told her that depends on what chair you're sitting in. It does feel like a catastrophe to me, because it is my life.":

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/02/09/duke.north.carolina/index.html

Roy really needs to work on his internal censor.

Tim1515
02-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Roy really needs to work on his internal censor.

no kidding...the fact that he is telling his massage therapist how terrible things are in relation to Haiti is bad enough.

The fact that he thought it was worth repeating to someone making an article may be one of the stupidest decisions i can imagine. A quote like that has a chance to have a life of its own.

oldnavy
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
no kidding...the fact that he is telling his massage therapist how terrible things are in relation to Haiti is bad enough.

The fact that he thought it was worth repeating to someone making an article may be one of the stupidest decisions i can imagine. A quote like that has a chance to have a life of its own.

The fact that he has a massage therapist is disturbing enough on it's own. I thought he was a "mountain man"... mountain men don't need massage therapists!

But you are right, the man has some serious "filter" issues... TMI Roy, TMI!!!

Lord Ash
02-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Discussion of Ole' Roy has been bleeding in and out of all the Carolina threads, so I thought we might confine the discussion to one thread with the appropriate title.

Wow.

Just... wow.

As someone who has had friends fly to Haiti to volunteer, and who JUST THIS MORNING started posting Facebook pictures of what they saw there, this BLOWS ME AWAY. Just blows... me... away.

Roy Williams is a Class A Self Centered As_hole.

BD80
02-10-2010, 02:11 PM
The fact that he has a massage therapist is disturbing enough on it's own. I thought he was a "mountain man"... mountain men don't need massage therapists!

But you are right, the man has some serious "filter" issues... TMI Roy, TMI!!!

It was actually his manicurist, but he changed it to massage therapist to sound more manly.

I can easily picture ol' roy in the beauty salon unloading his emotions about how darn hard he is trying and how darn difficult his players are being and how darn unfair it all is, while sniffing back his tears.

BD80
02-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Here's the story:

http://www.scout.com/2/942795.html

How desperate was North Carolina’s coaching staff at halftime Sunday night? Roy Williams changed from wearing sneakers, which were part of a promotional deal for Coaches Against Cancer, and put on his usual dress shoes. It didn’t work.

I had to read this twice, and I still can't believe it.

How were the shoes going to make a difference? Superstition? If anything, he should be more able to coach in athletic shoes.

Maybe ol' roy wanted to make more noise when he stomped his feet in his tantrums. That would scare the refs and get calls in his favor.

Instead of honoring a commitment to a worthwhile charity, he changes his shoes?

Imagine if one of roy's players tried to change his shoes from the air jordans - maybe because he wanted a shoe that didn't endanger his health or career - do you think ol' roy would understand?

james
02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I hope someone has the good sense to bring a sign to the game that says "I'd rather be in Haiti than play for Roy." (Or something along those lines.)

BD80
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I hope someone has the good sense to bring a sign to the game that says "I'd rather be in Haiti than play for Roy." (Or something along those lines.)

"Unlike ol' roy, Haitians don't give up!"

"Hatians say: You're right roy, this IS a disasater!"

hc5duke
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
"Unlike ol' roy, Haitians don't give up!"

"Hatians say: You're right roy, this IS a disasater!"

Roy Williams doesn't give a **** about Haiti right now

chrisheery
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
That quote is awful. I feel bad condemning him for a being a bad person based on that alone, but would a decent person ever say anything even remotely close to that? The Coaches Versus Cancer thing is bad too, but not even close to the Haiti thing. I'd like to see the crazies come up with something addressing that quote too, but I can't imagine how one could do it without being just as classless.

Mike Corey
02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Deadspin has now caught wind of this filth (http://deadspin.com/5468840/roy-williams-is-a-clueless-dick), and is airing it out for its readers to see.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I have no way of locating the exact quote but I remember at one point during a particularly rough time in a season for Duke, some reporter asked Coach K how hard that experience was....or something to that effect. To paraphrase his response: "Hard? This isn't hard. Ask our troops overseas what's hard."

There's the difference in the two coaches.
Love, Ima

sagegrouse
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I have said for years that Roy Williams press conferences resemble a conversation one would have with a psychiatrist while lying on the couch.

You know, I was wrong. I don't think anyone would say that about Haiti even to his or her psychiatrist.

sagegrouse

JStuart
02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
The Hurricanes are having a rough season.
NC State isn't having a great season.
My Alma Mater Davidson is not doing as well as last year.

Are those coaches having sleepless nights, and are they saying things aren't as bad in Haiti? Hmmm.
Come on, Roy, Man Up. The Haiti comment is outrageous. 200k dead?

Duvall
02-10-2010, 04:12 PM

I rather hope they don't.

Devil07
02-10-2010, 04:25 PM
For those who didn't click on the Deadspin link above, here's the video of Roy's statement: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6997142/ (it's about 25 seconds into the piece). If it weren't there on video I'd say it would be too absurd to be true, but nope, he said it. It sure makes me proud to have a coach who has a sense of perspective.

And on a side note, I second Duvall in hoping that no one tries to make a sign about this quote. Aside from being in bad taste, a sign like that would just make the fan (and Duke) look bad on national tv since most people won't know about this quote or understand that the joke should be on Roy.

uncwdevil
02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Deadspin has now caught wind of this filth (http://deadspin.com/5468840/roy-williams-is-a-clueless-dick), and is airing it out for its readers to see.

They did a decent job of summarizing Roy's antics, though they could have thrown in more of his belittling comments regarding his players and his fans.

roywhite
02-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Is it true that the Tar Heel players will wear "Pray for Ole Roy" patches on their uniforms tonight?

superdave
02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Is it true that the Tar Heel players will wear "Pray for Ole Roy" patches on their uniforms tonight?

Hee Heeeee - that made me laugh out loud.

throatybeard
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
To donate $10 to the Carolina Men's Basketball Relief effort, text ROY on your cell phone to 90999.

Duke of Nashville
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
To donate $10 to the Carolina Men's Basketball Relief effort, text ROY on your cell phone to 90999.

This is now my status on my Facebook page....CLASSIC!

stickdog
If UNC loses tonight, Roy will be appearing on Oprah tomorrow to spearhead the relief effort for the disaster that is North Carolina's 2009-10 men's basketball season.

yancem

Are you sure the number is 666?

Devilsfan
Ol'Roy what a class act! It's no wonder the players have grown tired of him.

superdave
02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I wonder what kinds of conversations this man has with his astrologist? Or maybe his palm reader? I'm guessing the entrails of a slaughtered goat will show that he is a moron.

stickdog
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I think the Duke team should consider wearing light blue patches tonight to help raise awareness of this tragic catastrophe.

oldnavy
02-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I rather hope they don't.

Probably the best thing to do along those lines would be to continue to show our support for Haiti as we normally would and not draw attention to his comments. Anything done to try and use this against Roy would come off as us not caring for Haiti, but trying to use the situation to show up our rival.

Jim3k
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I think the Duke team should consider wearing light blue patches tonight to help raise awareness of this tragic catastrophe.

Outstanding!!!!

Kewlswim
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Hi,

Maybe it was taken out of context? Sometimes one is saying one thing and then another and by themselves the comments sound really icky, but taken in totality they make sense. The media is known to skew things and maybe that happened here? I have a really hard time thinking he really believes what is happening to him is worse than what is transpiring in Haiti. Furthermore, what is happening to him is a lot better than what is happening to one in ten of his fellow Americans who are unemployed with future prospects looking bleak. He has a high paying job. A lot of people had hard childhoods not just Roy. I respect he made it far in spite of his upbringing. You know our own Coach K wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth either. Enough. Sorry for the rant.

GO DUKE! GTHC!

tbyers11
02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi,

Maybe it was taken out of context? Sometimes one is saying one thing and then another and by themselves the comments sound really icky, but taken in totality they make sense. The media is known to skew things and maybe that happened here? I have a really hard time thinking he really believes what is happening to him is worse than what is transpiring in Haiti.

GO DUKE! GTHC!

Did you watch the video (below)? It seems to me that he was fairly dadgum serious about his comments.

For those who didn't click on the Deadspin link above, here's the video of Roy's statement: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/6997142/ (it's about 25 seconds into the piece). If it weren't there on video I'd say it would be too absurd to be true, but nope, he said it. It sure makes me proud to have a coach who has a sense of perspective.

crimsonandblue
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Probably the best thing to do along those lines would be to continue to show our support for Haiti as we normally would and not draw attention to his comments. Anything done to try and use this against Roy would come off as us not caring for Haiti, but trying to use the situation to show up our rival.

You're already wearing Save Haiti patches. The juxtaposition is already established.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/files/2010/01/haiti-patch-300x168.jpg

throatybeard
02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
You're already wearing Save Haiti patches. The juxtaposition is already established.

C&B, was he like this during his decade and a half at KU? I wasn't paying close enough attention.

stickdog
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi,

Maybe it was taken out of context? Sometimes one is saying one thing and then another and by themselves the comments sound really icky, but taken in totality they make sense. The media is known to skew things and maybe that happened here? I have a really hard time thinking he really believes what is happening to him is worse than what is transpiring in Haiti. Furthermore, what is happening to him is a lot better than what is happening to one in ten of his fellow Americans who are unemployed with future prospects looking bleak. He has a high paying job. A lot of people had hard childhoods not just Roy. I respect he made it far in spite of his upbringing. You know our own Coach K wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth either. Enough. Sorry for the rant.

GO DUKE! GTHC!

What's so disturbing about this is not that Williams was insensitive enough to offhandedly make such a thoughtless comparison. It's that he is so self-centered that he felt compelled to repeat this little vignette to a few dozen reporters as some sort of pearl of wisdom.

Roy's decision to share this little anecdote with the greater public clearly highlights his narcissistic personality disorder, which at this point appears to border on psychopathy.

Everything is all about Roy. When Roy gets pricked, the entire cosmos bleeds.

dukemsu
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
if Wheat will mount a defense of his coach on this one?

dukemsu

MChambers
02-10-2010, 05:54 PM

dukemsu
Ol' Roy is trying protect his players by putting attention on himself?

Not plausible.

Gewebe14
02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

Its spreading...

superdave
02-10-2010, 05:57 PM

dukemsu

I'll mount a defense for Roy - he cannot control his mouth. He's proven this over and over, from the F bomb to I couldnt give a poop to Dexter and practice #52 to jumping out of the plane. He wears it all on his sleeve and does not have control. He should allow his assistants to do the press conferences and he should wear ducktape over his mouth.

Is that actually a defense? Wait, I think that was pointing out that he's an idiot.

Acymetric
02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

Its spreading...

What article mentions Roy? Didn't see one at first glance.

BlueintheFace
02-10-2010, 06:16 PM
What article mentions Roy? Didn't see one at first glance.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/3659/roy-williams-unc-losing-not-unlike-haiti-catastrophe

crimsonandblue
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
C&B, was he like this during his decade and a half at KU? I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Oh, he had pity parties about the crowds (not being loud enough; getting on underperforming 7-foot charmin-soft centers whose name rhymes with Derrick Plenowith), and how hard it was to recruit kids these days, and he did his annual crying game about how much he cared and his ginormous "wont to" and how much he loved the kids who were leaving. Yadda yadda. Actually, he got a ton of grief for whining about crowds not being loud enough.

Comparing your personal devastation at earning millions coaching a mediocre ballclub to the woes of Haitians suffering hundreds of thousands of deaths and untold billions in damages? That's an order of magnitude bigger d-baggery than we had to deal with.

But then, not sure we had a 2-6 conference start. Or a team massage therapist. I blame the massage therapist. Roy should know better than to talk to the help.

There's a discussion of this on the Kansas board. No one can believe what's going on here. The complete meltdown of Roy with this quote and that whole Jason King article with Roy, Halladay and some other UNC coach all throwing kids under buses. Honestly, it's fantastic entertainment.

SilkyJ
02-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi,

Maybe it was taken out of context? Sometimes one is saying one thing and then another and by themselves the comments sound really icky, but taken in totality they make sense. The media is known to skew things and maybe that happened here? I have a really hard time thinking he really believes what is happening to him is worse than what is transpiring in Haiti. Furthermore, what is happening to him is a lot better than what is happening to one in ten of his fellow Americans who are unemployed with future prospects looking bleak. He has a high paying job.

KS- I know you're not a UNC supporter and your attempt to bring some rationale thought here is noble, but you really ought to watch the video and see the article Mike posted from Deadspin. It actually addresses his comments on the current bleak job situation in America.

hc5duke
02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/3659/roy-williams-unc-losing-not-unlike-haiti-catastrophe
Williams: UNC losing like Haiti 'catastrophe' By Diamond Leung

that has got to be the best name at espn

A-Tex Devil
02-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Roy Williams loves cancer.

tele
02-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Poor ol' Roy, what next, run out of cokes in the garage fridge?

jipops
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Come on people. Roy has more passion in his little finger than all of Haiti.

Son of Mojo
02-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Gosh golly darn with espn helping to put this out there do we think that the hate tsunami might start up in full force on the holes? It would be nice for the rest of the nation to see and know what we've seen and known abouth Huck for a while.

jipops
02-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Best thing about this is one of the replies to the article:

"In Roy Williams's defense, UVA still hasn't quite recovered from losing Olden Polynice. "

Dukeface88
02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
You know, the Go To Hell Carolina chant seems to lose some of its impact when Roy is acting like he's already booked tickets.

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Gosh golly darn with espn helping to put this out there do we think that the hate tsunami might start up in full force on the holes?

No. It will blow over quickly. He's teflon.

mgtr
02-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I wonder if Dean Smith is calling around to his former assistants to line a new coach yet?

weezie
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
the fact that he is telling his massage therapist

Barf. The thought of small roy getting a massage is making me feel sick.

roywhite
02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
No. It will blow over quickly. He's teflon.

You would think so, but he can't keep his mouth shut.

He not only had the Haiti conversation with the massage therapist, Roy himself told the story.

weezie
02-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Roy Williams loves cancer.

Oh, well done.....very good :D:D:D

Newton_14
02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
KS- I know you're not a UNC supporter and your attempt to bring some rationale thought here is noble, but you really ought to watch the video and see the article Mike posted from Deadspin. It actually addresses his comments on the current bleak job situation in America.

To add to this. It was also just last year that ol roy stood in a media room with numerous reporters on furlow and told them that no one had felt the impact of the down economy more than ol roy because his son had just gotten laid off from his high paying job at a finance company.. That was bad enough.. But it pales in comparison to the Haiti comments..

dukebluelemur
02-10-2010, 08:06 PM
CB, my favorite was the sticker...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/collapseTonight/haiticdcopy.jpg

And I certainly agree with one of your posters... any pity party that begins with the phrase "I was talking with my massage therapist..." is indeed self absorbed to comic proportions.

In a way I guess we owe Roy, hes managing something nobody else every could, getting most Kansas fans to root for Duke.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM

dukemsu

You guys should know me well enough by now that I won't dodge anything...

I think in hindsight that even Roy would agree that his comment was innapropriate and insensitive. He's too open with the press sometimes and it bit him here with his little story dealing with the pain of this season.

I don't think for a minute that he believes there is an actual comparison to the pain in Haiti and UNC hoops, but Roy's mouth was running faster than his brain, this time.

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
To add to this. It was also just last year that ol roy stood in a media room with numerous reporters on furlow and told them that no one had felt the impact of the down economy more than ol roy because his son had just gotten laid off from his high paying job at a finance company.. That was bad enough.. But it pales in comparison to the Haiti comments..

There's no tempest, no outrage. In the big picture, anything said about this on this board is pretty much meaningless. Deadspin helps, though!

dukebluelemur
02-10-2010, 08:47 PM

I think in hindsight that even Roy would agree that his comment was inappropriate and insensitive. He's too open with the press sometimes and it bit him here with his little story dealing with the pain of this season.

I don't think for a minute that he believes there is an actual comparison to the pain in Haiti and UNC hoops, but Roy's mouth was running faster than his brain, this time.

What really gets me on this one is it seems premeditated. I can fully understand how one can say something in the flow of conversation that in hind sight was pretty dumb, but that's not the case here. This time, he thought a previous statement was important enough to repeat to reporters... he had to think about it and decide that yes, this is a story that will convey something meaningful and important to the media. That's where I really shake my head on this comment.

You say in hindsight he would agree it was dumb... but 'dadgum'... he already HAD the benefit of hindsight.

That said, I admire your ability to, at least more than most, set aside the light blue glasses now and then.

jipops
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM

As incredibly slow as Roy speaks, this still isn't much of a surprise.

roywhite
02-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Anybody else happen to catch a snippet of Roy's remarks at Hansbrough's jersey retirement ceremony?

Something like...
"Tyler made Roy Williams a better coach...and he meant even more to me as a person"..

The 3rd person again...and it's all about Roy.

Ugh.

CDu
02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
What really gets me on this one is it seems premeditated. I can fully understand how one can say something in the flow of conversation that in hind sight was pretty dumb, but that's not the case here. This time, he thought a previous statement was important enough to repeat to reporters... he had to think about it and decide that yes, this is a story that will convey something meaningful and important to the media. That's where I really shake my head on this comment.

You say in hindsight he would agree it was dumb... but 'dadgum'... he already HAD the benefit of hindsight.

That said, I admire your ability to, at least more than most, set aside the light blue glasses now and then.

Exactly. This wasn't a heat-of-the-moment mistake. He said it earlier in the day, and then he still felt it was appropriate to repeat the story in front of reporters. Clueless.

superdave
02-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Anybody else happen to catch a snippet of Roy's remarks at Hansbrough's jersey retirement ceremony?

Something like...
"Tyler made Roy Williams a better coach...and he meant even more to me as a person"..

Ugh.

How does Hansborough mean a lot as a person? I thought he just stood around breathing through his mouth, listening to ICP and lifting weights. Couldnt imagine talking about anything other than working out and nutrition with that guy.

Starter
02-11-2010, 01:22 AM

I think in hindsight that even Roy would agree that his comment was innapropriate and insensitive. He's too open with the press sometimes and it bit him here with his little story dealing with the pain of this season.

I think in hindsight what even Roy would agree on is that he's too open with the press. If you internally draw a comparison of a down year as coach of a basketball team to a hurricane that killed 200,000+ people, you shouldn't let anyone know you believe that. People would start to correctly think that you're a horrible, self-centered, insensitive human being.

Honestly, there's no credible damage control that can be done for the comment. You'd denigrate yourself simply by trying. It's one of the most pathetic things I've heard a public figure say -- particularly because it seemed sincere -- in quite some time. And personally, I wouldn't want to have my kid play for someone who would say such a thing. Real talk.

dukeblue1206
02-11-2010, 01:37 AM
They just showed video of him making the comment on Sportscenter. To bad it is at 1:30 am and will prolly never air it again. I really do believe if this was Coach K, it would be everywhere. Glad our coach usually thinks before he speaks.

Kewlswim
02-11-2010, 03:28 AM

Hi,

I'm dumbfounded. I saw the comments being made about speaking with his masseuse. If he was trying to be funny he wasn't. If he was trying to be "cute" he wasn't. When I saw what was transpiring in Haiti I practically broke down in tears--all that suffering. All those folks suffering so very much. :( I hope Ole Roy takes some time to reflect on what he said and maybe he will learn from it, but I doubt it. This guy does not hold a candle to Coach K.

GO DUKE!

RockLobster
02-11-2010, 05:18 AM

Exactly. I wouldn't get on the guy so much if he just kept that between him and his therapist - from the account Roy gave, the "depends on what chair you're in" comment was an offhand remark during the session.

But when you DELIBERATELY REPEAT it during an interview with the press...I mean, jeez, aside from offending a ton of people, do you have any self-respect at all?

Roy obviously didn't mean what he said, but it was a bonehead comment.

oldnavy
02-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Exactly. I wouldn't get on the guy so much if he just kept that between him and his therapist - from the account Roy gave, the "depends on what chair you're in" comment was an offhand remark during the session.

But when you DELIBERATELY REPEAT it during an interview with the press...I mean, jeez, aside from offending a ton of people, do you have any self-respect at all?

Roy obviously didn't mean what he said, but it was a bonehead comment.

NO!, I think he did mean exactly what he said. Heck, he said it at least twice! He really is that shallow and self absorbed. He went third person again during Hansblah's retirement celebration, basically saying what a wonderful coach he is. I know it is irrational to think someone could be this egotistical, but he really, really is!!

brevity
02-11-2010, 08:25 AM

Something like...

Ugh.

ESPN has a story about the jersey retirement here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4904335), but I wanted to single out this comment:

Hansbrough deserves it, but why does Roy Williams always talk in the third person? Does he do this at home, too?

"Roy Williams is going to the bathroom."
"Roy Williams ate tacos for lunch."
"Roy Williams is going to make you feel like a woman tonight."

BD80
02-11-2010, 08:45 AM
ESPN has a story about the jersey retirement here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4904335), but I wanted to single out this comment:

Hansbrough deserves it, but why does Roy Williams always talk in the third person? Does he do this at home, too?

That is ol' roy's locker room talk!

Seems to be working too :D

airowe
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
That is ol' roy's locker room talk!

Seems to be working too :D

Haha.

"Roy Williams is going to play you out of position and then Roy Williams is going to throw you under the bus."

"Roy Williams is going to put you in shoes 60% guaranteed to get you an ankle injury."

uncwdevil
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM

I emailed this into WFNZ in Charlotte's morning show and Mac read it on the air.

moonpie23
02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
absolutely TORCHING roy on this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/11/roy-williams-haiti-analog_n_457906.html

oldnavy
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
absolutely TORCHING roy on this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/11/roy-williams-haiti-analog_n_457906.html

In all seriousness, someone from the University of the People should make Ol Roy apologize before this really snowballs.

allenmurray
02-11-2010, 10:48 AM

This time? ;)

Exactly, which is why Wheat's explanation falls way short. He had the conversation with his massage therapist, had an opportunity to reflect on it, then later chose of his own accord (not in response to a question) to relate this story to a room full or reporters. His initiated the story, it wasn't a reaction to a question. He owns it.

delfrio
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
As incredibly slow as Roy speaks, this still isn't much of a surprise.

Ahahahaha.

Sorry, please return now to your regular bashing.

BD80
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
They are lighting up ol' roy on ESPN First Take.

Skip Bayless openly questioned roy's coaching ability, noting that they have a veteran starting lineup (no freshmen) and 4 stud freshmen and were ranked #4 preseason (reflecting the level of talent they were considered to have). His question, is roy only a good coach when he CLEARLY has the superior talent? As to the freshmen not being ready, Skip mentioned that KY was faring pretty well starting 3 freshmen.

Then they discussed ol' roy's Haiti comment, noting how incredibly insensitive it was. Except Skip; who thought it appropriate that a coach consider this type of season to be a catastrophe, saying "What would tar heel fans say if roy said 'yeah, this season is tough, but it is only basketball, it is not like the disaster in Haiti?' This shows he is completely invested in the team"

oldnavy
02-11-2010, 12:06 PM
They are lighting up ol' roy on ESPN First Take.

Skip Bayless openly questioned roy's coaching ability, noting that they have a veteran starting lineup (no freshmen) and 4 stud freshmen and were ranked #4 preseason (reflecting the level of talent they were considered to have). His question, is roy only a good coach when he CLEARLY has the superior talent? As to the freshmen not being ready, Skip mentioned that KY was faring pretty well starting 3 freshmen.

Then they discussed ol' roy's Haiti comment, noting how incredibly insensitive it was. Except Skip; who thought it appropriate that a coach consider this type of season to be a catastrophe, saying "What would tar heel fans say if roy said 'yeah, this season is tough, but it is only basketball, it is not like the disaster in Haiti?' This shows he is completely invested in the team"

So Bayless rationalizes that it is OK to say something incredibly stupid, because he might have said something else that would have been incredibly stupid?? What am I missing here? It isn't an either/or situation! :confused:

allenmurray
02-11-2010, 12:10 PM
So Bayless rationalizes that it is OK to say something incredibly stupid, because he might have said something else that would have been incredibly stupid?? What am I missing here? It isn't an either/or situation! :confused:

Remember, it was Skip Bayless. Keep your expectations low, very low.

oldnavy
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Remember, it was Skip Bayless. Keep your expectations low, very low.

Oh, yeah! Thanks for reminding me. :D

OldSchool
02-11-2010, 12:15 PM

If that what's he's been saying to the team, then no wonder Ginyard's psyche has taken a hit.

Kfanarmy
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
If that what's he's been saying to the team, then no wonder Ginyard's psyche has taken a hit. This made me laugh out loud and made reading this whole thread worthwhile.

OldSchool
02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
This made me laugh out loud

That poor team may need years of therapy after Ol' Roy does his business to them!

For John Feinstein on the '09-'10 Heels: "Season with the Shrink"?

Greg_Newton
02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Consider...

How can you watch any random press conference of [him] and not feel this man is a modern-day Narcissus so fixated on success that he's happy to throw his own players under the bus? A tightly-wound mess of resentment and profanity, the toxic combination of a control freak with a thinly-veiled persecution complex?

Sound like a pretty accurate description of Roy, no?

Oh, wait (http://www.dailytarheel.com/content/column-why-i-still-hate-duke). That quote is from yesterday's Daily Tarhole, and was attempting to describe Coach K. Irony, much?

Mind-boggling.

davekay1971
02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
In case you folks were worried that Kerlina fans were developing the least bit of class, read the IC thread on Roy's Haiti comments (quick, before it gets locked, as apparently happened to an earlier thread on the same subject). One post admitting it was pretty sorry stuff for Roy to say followed by a stream of Tarhole fans ranting about how it's a non-issue, a bunch of media driven bs, and perfectly appropriate anyway.

Sorry, Holes, but if K had said something that stupid and insensitive, I'd be the first to say I love the guy, but that was inappropriate and stupid.

natedog4ever
02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
He issued an apology through the SID today. Well, not really an apology - he said that he neglected to say that he had added "that really puts it in perspective" or something like that at the time of the original conversation.

Nice try UNC.

stickdog
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
He issued an apology through the SID today. Well, not really an apology - he said that he neglected to say that he had added "that really puts it in perspective" or something like that at the time of the original conversation.

Nice try UNC.

I thought the SID was going to say that it was really the security guards who actually made this mind-blowingly insensitive comment and they only did so because the masseuse was drunk at the time.

roywhite
02-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I thought the SID was going to say that it was really the security guards who actually made this mind-blowingly insensitive comment and they only did so because the masseuse was drunk at the time.

The security guards already took the rap for throwing out the heckler from Presbyterian College.

BD80
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM

The security guards already took the rap for throwing out the heckler from Presbyterian College.

The security guards have never had to coach effort in their entire careers

MarkD83
02-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Consider...

Sound like a pretty accurate description of Roy, no?

Oh, wait (http://www.dailytarheel.com/content/column-why-i-still-hate-duke). That quote is from yesterday's Daily Tarhole, and was attempting to describe Coach K. Irony, much?

Mind-boggling.

the article in the dailytarheel was originally written in 2007. They must be so distraught that they can't even write a new article.

Deslok
02-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Now now, we should all think about the struggles that UNC has gone through. Sure Kentucky already did their charity event for Haiti. Maybe when UNC comes to Cameron we can have a Hoops for Heels event to help them through this catastrophe.

roywhite
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Now now, we should all think about the struggles that UNC has gone through. Sure Kentucky already did their charity event for Haiti. Maybe when UNC comes to Cameron we can have a Hoops for Heels event to help them through this catastrophe.

Hit a shot from half-court and win...

A year's supply of wine and cheese?
A free massage and counseling session?
Some playing time with the Heels?

jipops
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Roy is doing some back-peddling now, or at least providing an apology in his own way.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/7011373/

Maybe Roy should just think a little bit before he speaks, with his pace of speech there is definitely time.

moonpie23
02-12-2010, 12:32 AM
roy can be such a ...........well, ROY.

uh_no
02-12-2010, 02:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4907670

trying to get out of it, as others have said

DevilHorns
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I say we give him the benefit of the doubt. He (according to what I know at least) has never said anything like this before. I sincerely doubt he was literally equating a poor season to the death and destruction of Haiti. The thing is, I doubt Tarheel fans would ever let up if K said anything remotely like this. However, we're not Tarheel fans are we now?

slower
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Hit a shot from half-court and win...

A year's supply of wine and cheese?
A free massage and counseling session?
Some playing time with the Heels?

Surely there will be SOME sort of massage-related heckling? Can't we find a Roy look-alike and have the Devil give him a good rolfing?

slower
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I say we give him the benefit of the doubt. He (according to what I know at least) has never said anything like this before. I sincerely doubt he was literally equating a poor season to the death and destruction of Haiti. The thing is, I doubt Tarheel fans would ever let up if K said anything remotely like this. However, we're not Tarheel fans are we now?

is not entirely the specifics of what he said (although that's obviously the cause of the outrage), but that he is a self-absorbed buffoon. He is a serial offender on that count.

BlueintheFace
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
http://deadspin.com/5470356/last-nights-winner-whatever-passes-for-roy-williamss-conscience

hahah, oh man

FerryFor50
02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Deadspin, which is usually a pretty anti-Duke site, is now anti-Roy: :)

http://deadspin.com/5468840/roy-williams-is-a-clueless-dick

Warning: some language inappropriate for youngsters or people at work :)

BD80
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Love Dodd's take on CBSSportsline.com:

Oh, Roy, please...
Posted on: February 12, 2010 5:27: Roy Williams issues statement kind of apologizing for comparing Haiti disaster to North Carolina hoops disaster.

Love how he says he is sorry statement "made it appear" he was comparing Haiti to UNC hoops. No, Roy, you DID compare Haiti to UNC hoops.

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/20044910

hood7
02-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Deputy Dawg needs him a mEssage therapist.

ForkFondler
02-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Of course not. We'll let up....eventually.

MChambers
02-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Of course not. We'll let up....eventually.

Why would we let up? ;)

Look, I suspect Ol' Roy is better than his series of bizarre statements this year would indicate (about Roe, the Presbyterian fan, blaming his players publicly, and now Haiti) would indicate. I think he's probably a good guy.

But he said what he said, and he's got a problem acknowledging his mistakes, so I expect we'll stay on this.

Newton_14
02-12-2010, 09:18 PM

I hear what you are saying, and in some respect you are correct, folks are making more of all the royism's than what is really there. But....that said, let me say this..

I keep going back to how I felt that Friday afternoon, watching a certain press conference, when the words "Coach Roy Williams" came out of Prince Harry's mouth, and the Skype Video finally came online and there is ol roy with the biggest poop-eating grin a person can possibly have staring at us through the TV. Huck and the boys all smiling, life was good, they were fresh off a Natty, ol roy is being hailed as the greatest recruiter on the planet, this years class was the best, next years class even better, and ol roy and the heels were gonna be on top for a long long time and the Duke Blue Devils and everyone else would just have to grin and bear it. In ol roy's mind it was a severe case of "I AM KING OF THE WORLD"

Well, here we are, some 2.5 months later, and that world roy was living in has crashed an burned! 13 and 11, 2 and 7, and to answer his own question from 2 weeks ago, yes it can and most certainly will get worse. And I for one am going to enjoy every minute of it. It will not last of course, but at least a good dose of reality and humility has been handed out.

I take no joy in their injuries, as I hate seeing kids get hurt, including holes. I especially hated to see the news that Davis broke his wrist. I would much rather beat them with Davis healthy.

But I really enjoy watching the losses pile up and I hope he has 7 or 8 more losses coming his way and they finish as far under .500 as possible. That will be great. I will enjoy that as long as it lasts and hopefully this is the beginning of another cycle where Duke rules the rivalry for a few years!!

jdj4duke
02-12-2010, 10:26 PM
As Boozer says "In ol roy's mind it was a severe case of "I AM KING OF THE WORLD"

Well, here we are, some 2.5 months later, and that world roy was living in has crashed an burned! 13 and 11, 2 and 7, and to answer his own question from 2 weeks ago, yes it can and most certainly will get worse. And I for one am going to enjoy every minute of it."

Well, ditto and very well said. I am not the only one enjoying one of the world's greatest opportunities for schadenfreude. The pomposity of Ol' Boy and his legions is just a bit less than fevered the last month, but watching it decline even further will be a delight. It's better than Weber State by far.

JG Nothing
02-12-2010, 10:37 PM

I use to give Roy Williams the benefit of the doubt and even defended him a time or two on this board. However, I have heard enough of his whining and self-pity this year. It's easy to be an aw-shucks, good ol' boy when you're winning. A person's true character shows when things are not going well. Williams has shown himself to be a very small, self-absorbed human being. I have lost all respect for the guy.

Indoor66
02-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Isn't it amazing that life and whatever forces rule the universe have a way of providing opportunities for all of us to show our true makeup and being? Roy is revealing himself as he faces this turmoil and the failings of the season. What he is revealing is not very pleasant or admirable.

JStuart
02-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Boozer puts into words what I've been thinking, but not nearly as succinctly, over the past few weeks.

But look at this, new today on the WRAL web site:
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/forum_topic/7025008/?d_comments_page=1
Is this guy freaking nuts? Blaming the TV station for publicizing what Roy said on his own radio show? I'm almost as speechless as when I first read the Haiti quotation. Yeah, let's make sure we censor Roy's comments! Used to think WRAL was relatively even-handed, but there seems to have been a light blue tinge to their reporting this year.

cspan37421
02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Isn't it amazing that life and whatever forces rule the universe have a way of providing opportunities for all of us to show our true makeup and being? Roy is revealing himself as he faces this turmoil and the failings of the season. What he is revealing is not very pleasant or admirable.

Yes, adversity reveals more about character than easy times. The great poet Smails recognized this:

"It's easy to grin
When your ship comes in
And you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile
Is the man who can smile
When his shorts are too tight in the seat"

:D

moonpie23
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
look...if you're gonna have that job where you get on Johnny Carson, you gotta make sure you're fly is up when you come out onstage...

in other words.....folks is watching.....

just sayin'.

billy
02-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Found this tidbit in a News and Observer piece yesterday (link at bottom). I'm not sure if it's real or not, I certainly won't be reading his book to find out. According to the piece Roy proposed thusly to his now-wife Wanda:

Before picking up Wanda for a movie date, he tucked the engagement ring box under his gym clothes, which he kept on the back seat of his car. At the right moment, he said, "Hey, reach back there on the back seat; I've got something for you under the gym shorts."

Williams wrote, "I know there are a few people in the world who have had a more romantic proposal. But the bottom line is that my future bride found her ring in my jockstrap, and she's always said she should have known right then what she was getting into. There was no way around the fact that she was going to spend the rest of her life around smelly guys in a gym somewhere."

http://m.newsobserver.com/observer/db_3413/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=99CA7AF1F4BDDF5A84D3D AF0A6DF2A43?contentguid=8kImcpBt&storycount=47&detailindex=4&pn=0&ps=10&full=true

weezie
02-15-2010, 05:52 PM
How very droll of Huckelberry!
I guess she also figured out she'd be spending her life with a boor....and she likes it.

oldnavy
02-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Found this tidbit in a News and Observer piece yesterday (link at bottom). I'm not sure if it's real or not, I certainly won't be reading his book to find out. According to the piece Roy proposed thusly to his now-wife Wanda:

http://m.newsobserver.com/observer/db_3413/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=99CA7AF1F4BDDF5A84D3D AF0A6DF2A43?contentguid=8kImcpBt&storycount=47&detailindex=4&pn=0&ps=10&full=true

That's probably the most "normal" thing we have heard from him in the past month!

natedog4ever
02-15-2010, 06:38 PM
At the end of his post-game presser after the state win, Roy kept this one burning.

As the press was leaving, he stopped everyone, announcing that he had one more thing to say. He went on to call them out, saying that they new what he meant regarding Haiti and that it was wrong of them to have portrayed it as they have.

The best part?

Roy to reporter(s): "Is your heart racing right now?"

Reporter: "Nope."

dukejim1
02-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Mitch Albom (sp?) addressed Roy's comments in his parting shots on the Sports Reporters on Sunday AM. He had just come back from time in Haiti and made it real clear that Roy doesn't understand the word catastrophe

Duvall
02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Mitch Albom (sp?) addressed Roy's comments in his parting shots on the Sports Reporters on Sunday AM. He had just come back from time in Haiti and made it real clear that Roy doesn't understand the word catastrophe

Albom santimony isn't quite Lupica santimony, but it will do.

Indoor66
02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Albom santimony isn't quite Lupica santimony, but it will do.

What is santimony?

Duvall
02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
What is santimony?

Sanctimony.

MChambers
02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
What is santimony?

a syncretic religion of West African and Caribbean origin,

Wait, that's Santeria. Never mind.

BD80
02-15-2010, 09:04 PM
What is santimony?

That would be an affected superiority, such as superior orthography, but without the "c"

stickdog
02-16-2010, 02:44 AM
What is santimony?

It's what Mrs. Claus and her lastest elf now live on.

lpd1982
02-16-2010, 03:02 AM
It's what Mrs. Claus and her lastest elf now live on.

Nice!

oldnavy
02-16-2010, 07:03 AM
At the end of his post-game presser after the state win, Roy kept this one burning.

As the press was leaving, he stopped everyone, announcing that he had one more thing to say. He went on to call them out, saying that they new what he meant regarding Haiti and that it was wrong of them to have portrayed it as they have.

The best part?

Roy to reporter(s): "Is your heart racing right now?"

Reporter: "Nope."
Does he not realize that people were reacting to what HE said and not some story fabricated by the media?

He repeated a story that he thought would buy him some empathy from the fans, which blew up in his face... and now it is the medias fault for reporting that...

Once again, Roy looks to blame someone else for his faults, this time the media, because they should have know better than to report what he said...

And what was that comment about "is your heart racing?" suppossed to mean? Does he really think that he is scaring these reporters with his comments? How anybody can actually like this guy is beyond me?

blueprofessor
02-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Does he not realize that people were reacting to what HE said and not some story fabricated by the media?

He repeated a story that he thought would buy him some empathy from the fans, which blew up in his face... and now it is the medias fault for reporting that...

Once again, Roy looks to blame someone else for his faults, this time the media, because they should have know better than to report what he said...

And what was that comment about "is your heart racing?" suppossed to mean? Does he really think that he is scaring these reporters with his comments? How anybody can actually like this guy is beyond me?

Roy has had such biased media for so long that he is reacting badly and predictably to less than favorable coverage--- a normal reaction by anyone, especially media--favored politicians and celebrities.
Moreover, he has a rather inflated ego. Lots going on inside his head.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

Devilsfan
02-16-2010, 09:12 AM
I wonder why he doesn't think before he speaks. Poor Ol' Roy.

Dopeshop
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I saw this on DBR some where after the UNC game . It requires a sign for the game on Mach 6. I guarantee that you will get plenty of TV air time !

DONATE NOW !

UNC RELIEF EFFORT

TEXT "ROY" 37373

Lord Ash
02-16-2010, 12:28 PM
The line between making fun of Roy and being insensitive of a tragic situation is a fine one. The Crazies have done fine in the past generally finding that line, and I think Roy's quote is certainly worthy of being made fun of, but it is important to keep that in mind.

oldnavy
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
The line between making fun of Roy and being insensitive of a tragic situation is a fine one. The Crazies have done fine in the past generally finding that line, and I think Roy's quote is certainly worthy of being made fun of, but it is important to keep that in mind.

Maybe something like "Crazies Support Haiti!... ROY?, eh not so much..."

gep
02-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I think the yellow patch on the Duke uniforms is more than enough. However, I didn't notice recently... is the patch still there?

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Way back in November, I noticed that this UNC team was not a very good team. I predicted they would lose 10+ games, but never would I have imagined that they would be this bad. I think injuries do have to factor into the dismal season, but in reality they were not that good before Zeller and Davis got hurt.
What I could not see coming was Roy's total ineptitude at handling this team. You could not have drawn up a better plan to mishandle the talent he has. He berated them publically when they needed confidence the most, he continued a helter-skelter substitution pattern when they needed stability and familiarity with each other, he refused to mix up the starting line-up when it was obvious to everyone that a change was needed and he continued to try and run a Lamborghini offense with a Hyundai motor under the hood. Perhaps the worst of all, he tried to portray himself as some poor victim in the wake of his "catastrophic" season.
Is there an award for the "worst" coach of the year because he would win hands down. Best of all, I do not think that he even realizes that he has failed… I know he cries and weeps about how he has to do better and all, but then with the next breath he goes and throws a player or two under the bus…
I LOVE IT SO!

Durhamrocks68
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Great post Old Navy! Ol' Roy has really turned in a poor coaching performance this year. That's the key difference between him and K. I may not always agree with every decision he makes, but I can truly say that he has never had a poor coaching season. He never quits on his team and will try like hell to find a way to win with the cards he's dealt. I don't see that happening 8 miles up the hill this year.

DukeAppWV
02-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Great post Old Navy! Ol' Roy has really turned in a poor coaching performance this year. That's the key difference between him and K. I may not always agree with every decision he makes, but I can truly say that he has never had a poor coaching season. He never quits on his team and will try like hell to find a way to win with the cards he's dealt. I don't see that happening 8 miles up the hill this year.

Even my most hardened hole friends who dislike Duke and Coach K always point out to me that they do admire how Coach K always gets the absolute best from the players he has - Ol Roy, not so much ----

billy
02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
It seemed to me that Carolina did the same thing the previous two seasons, cruising along on auto-pilot early to mid-season, even into the ACC last year, confident in their ability to "turn it on" when they needed to. It worked out last year, in my opinion, because of the personnel involved and timing of injuries and healing from those injuries. I wonder if that passivity has become ingrained in the returning player's minds, resulting in the perceived "lack of effort" in this year's team...

DukeAppWV
02-17-2010, 01:07 PM
It seemed to me that Carolina did the same thing the previous two seasons, cruising along on auto-pilot early to mid-season, even into the ACC last year, confident in their ability to "turn it on" when they needed to. It worked out last year, in my opinion, because of the personnel involved and timing of injuries and healing from those injuries. I wonder if that passivity has become ingrained in the returning player's minds, resulting in the perceived "lack of effort" in this year's team...

They also had Hansbro who whether you liked him or not, was the fire who made those teams perform - not Ol Roy

whereinthehellami
02-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Way back in November, I noticed that this UNC team was not a very good team. I predicted they would lose 10+ games, but never would I have imagined that they would be this bad. I think injuries do have to factor into the dismal season, but in reality they were not that good before Zeller and Davis got hurt.
What I could not see coming was Roy's total ineptitude at handling this team. You could not have drawn up a better plan to mishandle the talent he has. He berated them publically when they needed confidence the most, he continued a helter-skelter substitution pattern when they needed stability and familiarity with each other, he refused to mix up the starting line-up when it was obvious to everyone that a change was needed and he continued to try and run a Lamborghini offense with a Hyundai motor under the hood. Perhaps the worst of all, he tried to portray himself as some poor victim in the wake of his "catastrophic" season.
Is there an award for the "worst" coach of the year because he would win hands down. Best of all, I do not think that he even realizes that he has failed… I know he cries and weeps about how he has to do better and all, but then with the next breath he goes and throws a player or two under the bus…
I LOVE IT SO!

A lock for worst coach of the year. I've never seen a coach misread their team like old Roy has. And then the press conferences. Oh my. Feet in mouth, people under buses. Quite the spectacle.

allenmurray
02-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Feet in mouth, people under buses. Quite the spectacle.

His massuese has been working on his flexibility. Just think of the agility it must take to throw someone under a bus while your feet are in your mouth.

JStuart
02-17-2010, 01:28 PM
AllenM,
You get my vote for the Post-of-the-Month award, with Forde's 'get this man a sequined jumpsuit" a close second! (see the other thread)

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
What will this season do in terms of Ol Roy's legacy? It will be his worst season as a head coach by far. His previous worst was his first year at KU, when he went 19-12.

For argument sake, let’s say they go 2-3 in their last 5 regular season games, and steal one in the ACCT for a finally of 3-4. A very generous assumption based on their recent level of play. That would put them at 17-16 overall with a team picked as the #4 team in the nation preseason. Not to mention how bad they are getting beat...

Does this affect how he is thought of as a coach in the long run?

ncexnyc
02-17-2010, 01:43 PM
What will this season do in terms of Ol Roy's legacy? It will be his worst season as a head coach by far. His previous worst was his first year at KU, when he went 19-12.

For argument sake, let’s say they go 2-3 in their last 5 regular season games, and steal one in the ACCT for a finally of 3-4. A very generous assumption based on their recent level of play. That would put them at 17-16 overall with a team picked as the #4 team in the nation preseason. Not to mention how bad they are getting beat...

The simple answer is NO! This is just one season, a blip on the radar. Now, if next year's results are similar then we have a story.

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
The simple answer is NO! This is just one season, a blip on the radar. Now, if next year's results are similar then we have a story.

I guess the better question is how will this season affect Ol Roy himself. He seems to be taking it pretty daggum hard!

Durhamrocks68
02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe, but I think he'll get a pass on this year, though I believe that's undeserved. Next year is the key. Obviously, he'll have a talented, but not dominating (lingering PG issues and possible front court inexperience depending on Davis) team. I think expectations will lowered from what we saw pre-season this year. However, they will certainly be ranked in the top 20 and possibly the top 10. If they slip up again or have just an average year (middle of the ACC and early exit from the NCAAs), then we'll start hearing some serious grumbling and questioning of his coaching ability. Then, there will be some serious pressure on Roy and it will be interesting to see how he manages it. The biggest problem he faces right now is the PG position. I know I sound like a broken record (but what a great broken record it would be!) on this, but I don't see a quick fix on the horizon for this problem. He's locked into at least another year of average play at this position and would need to recruit over Marshall to really fix this. It will be interesting to see how it plays out!

airowe
02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
His massuese has been working on his flexibility. Just think of the agility it must take to throw someone under a bus while your feet are in your mouth.

Love the post and love the beagle. This is Mason:

allenmurray
02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Love the post and love the beagle. This is Mason:

see the off-topic board.

91_92_01_10_15
02-17-2010, 03:39 PM

I, personally, couldn't care less what Roy's legacy is. But I care very much about the impact this may have on what potential recruits think of him. Hopefully, the next time we go head-to-head over a recruit, things will be more likely to work out in our favor.

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I, personally, couldn't care less what Roy's legacy is. But I care very much about the impact this may have on what potential recruits think of him. Hopefully, the next time we go head-to-head over a recruit, things will be more likely to work out in our favor.

That is sort of what I was getting at when I said legacy. Not so much how he will be viewed in general, heck he is already in the HOF, but how this drama (or dark comedy) will impact his ability on the recruiting trail and selling "his" brand of basketball?

Personally, I doubt that it will have any long term impact. And if he is smart (BIG IF) he may actually be able to use this to his advantage if he is in the running for a top tier PG. He could point to how dependant his style is on having a great PG and how central that PG would be in the offense...

91_92_01_10_15
02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
That is sort of what I was getting at when I said legacy.
Gotcha.

Personally, I doubt that it will have any long term impact.
I'll take any impact we can get at all at this point. Anything to help stem the tide of recruits that seems to be flowing in to that place.

slower
02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=4920900

Considering the source, not as annoying as it could have been. But still...

weezie
02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Bonami's columns are hilarious. Just imagine the grimaces and head scratching he had to go through to come up with such a windy piece of garbage.

CameronBornAndBred
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Roy was broken before the heels were losing.

strawbs
02-17-2010, 09:52 PM
anyone else see the espn bottom line during the game that roy made a comment that he's been offered 9-10 nba coaching jobs over the years. Why the heck would you even bring this up? (shouldn't have said heck, starting to sound like ol' roy)

GoingFor#5
02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I saw that. I don't know why it's news. It seemed rather irrelevant to me. I'm sure all the coaches, K included, have said similar things on these informal local radio show interviews.

Indoor66
02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Maybe because of all the ink and air time about K and the Nets. You know - somebody want me too. His insecurities are showing.

GoingFor#5
02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Maybe because of all the ink and air time about K and the Nets. You know - somebody want me too. His insecurities are showing.

I would guess that the radio host asked Roy something about K's offer to the Nets, and Roy made the point it's not really a big deal cause guys like them get offers all the time. I am guessing that was the context. There's a lot of things to go after Roy about, but I don't think this is one of them unless we learn something else about the context.

Newton_14
02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
anyone else see the espn bottom line during the game that roy made a comment that he's been offered 9-10 nba coaching jobs over the years. Why the heck would you even bring this up? (shouldn't have said heck, starting to sound like ol' roy)

Oh no no.. It was "11 or 12 including the Celtics and the Lakers"!! Don't short change the man. He might hunt you down. He is from the mountains you know!:eek:

superdave
02-17-2010, 10:06 PM
The best part was the specifics: Lakers, Celtics, Jordan.

I dont want to be too offensive here, but let's just call it the way it is: Roy Williams is a complete $%^&* and he sucks. If his Mom and Dad didnt hug him enough as a young boy, then he should say so. Otherwise he's accomplished too much (been handed too much??) to be such a $%^&*.

What a joke.

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I guess any news now regarding HUCK that doesnt involved (unc getting blasted, strickland not knowing the offensive sets, or haiti vs unc basketball) is good news!

Gewebe14
02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I think we can jump on this one with no context given the specifics - 11 or 12 times to coach X, Y, Z???

Come on he is a joke - a simple "yes I've had serious offers and thought about it" would suffice.

Another headline for him to cry about and the sheeps to defend

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Roy Williams is a complete $%^&* and he sucks.

There has never been a coaching in the history of basketball that I hated more including good ole Matt D.

mgtr
02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Oh no no.. It was "11 or 12 including the Celtics and the Lakers"!! Don't short change the man. He might hunt you down. He is from the mountains you know!:eek:

So our only hope is that he can't shoot any better than his team!:D

HateCarolina
02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I have not listened to the interview yet, but here is the link to the interview.

http://www.790thezone.com/instantreplay/Episodes.aspx?PID=1345

Here is the link to the article that's mentioned at the beginning of the interview.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/uga-coach-mark-fox-306985.html

Duke79UNLV77
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
out of saying Ole Roy doesn't make a big deal out of letting everyone know he's been offered NBA jobs, thereby making a big deal out of it. As usual, a phony.

HateCarolina
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Listening to the interview now and he is a pompous arse. The announcers jumped on it when he said he had been approached 11 or 12 times asking why they had never heard about it.

Too damn funny!!

BD80
02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Doesn't unc have a school of journalism or media or something where they could find SOMEBODY who could train ol' roy NOT to be such an arse in interviews?

jipops
02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
The biggest thing I got out of this interview was that Roy only referred to himself in the 3rd person once. I'm amazed. Roy was asked for the info though, it's not like he completely volunteered it but you could tell he's quite proud of it, as he should be.

Country bumpkin doesn't fly in the association. NBA coaches handle a ton of adversity and losses, probably more so than college. Sure the money is a lot better but there are very few gimme games. Even current teams like the Lakers and the Cavs lose close to 20 games. Would Roy be able to handle that emotionally? Would his team of professionals have to see him crack in the press like he's done this year?

espn is making a story out of a non-story though. I wouldn't doubt Roy was called by a bunch of nba teams. So what? Why has K's offer been such big news, I have no idea. K certainly wasn't putting it out there. No one in their right mind thought K would bolt for the Nets. That was a story of a non-story as well.

WiJoe
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
The best part was the specifics: Lakers, Celtics, Jordan.

I dont want to be too offensive here, but let's just call it the way it is: Roy Williams is a complete $%^&* and he sucks. If his Mom and Dad didnt hug him enough as a young boy, then he should say so. Otherwise he's accomplished too much (been handed too much??) to be such a $%^&*.

What a joke.

To everything you typed, DITTO!

What a jack*ss.

jv001
02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I really think that ole roy needs some physic help. Anyone know a good shrink that would take him on? Go Duke!

-bdbd
02-18-2010, 01:35 AM
I think we can jump on this one with no context given the specifics - 11 or 12 times to coach X, Y, Z???

Come on he is a joke - a simple "yes I've had serious offers and thought about it" would suffice.

Another headline for him to cry about and the sheeps to defend

Just a little nuance here. Since Huck wants to indicate his "loyalty" to NC@CH here, and KA before that, I wonder about the assertion of 11-12 offers. In my own experience you don't get to the "offer" stage until there have been some serious discussions/interviews or at least "my people talking to your people..." That means indications of interest from both sides. In any real-world context I have a hard time imagining 11-12 actual offers from NBA teams. BTW, are those all supposedly HC offers?

Boy, doing very poorly despite having very good talent, really brings out tons of insecurities from this guy. Sheesh!

:confused::confused::confused:

Delaware
02-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Didnt see this posted elsewhere....

oldnavy
02-18-2010, 07:58 AM
I really think that ole roy needs some physic help. Anyone know a good shrink that would take him on? Go Duke!

I acutually said this over in the other Roy thread. I really do think that he needs some kind of therapy. If he in fact takes this season as it appears he is, then he has some "priority" issues. How would he handle the past couple of years if he were a builder or a factory worker in Detroit? Must be really tough driving back to your 5,000 sqft home in your BMW after a tough loss (for illustration purposes, I have no idea what type of vehicle Roy drives or how big his home is).

davekay1971
02-18-2010, 08:08 AM

That reads like the kind of puff piece written at the request of the coach or SID in exchange for later inside access. I suspect Roy proofread it for him before it went to the editor.

blueprofessor
02-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I acutually said this over in the other Roy thread. I really do think that he needs some kind of therapy. If he in fact takes this season as it appears he is, then he has some "priority" issues. How would he handle the past couple of years if he were a builder or a factory worker in Detroit? Must be really tough driving back to your 5,000 sqft home in your BMW after a tough loss (for illustration purposes, I have no idea what type of vehicle Roy drives or how big his home is).

... for Huck Hamlet's (the understated term) cognitive dissonance, as the Vanderbilt mansion would be too long a commute. He could find love and a renewed sense of self-worth there.Best of luck in recovery.

Best--Blueprofessor:)

whereinthehellami
02-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Roy needs a hug. So does Doh. Maybe they should meet up at the powder blue dome and have a bro-hug. Of course there is the whole elephant in the room, Doh thinking that Roy stabbed him in the back when he was coaching the heels.

Indoor66
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM

He needs to call Diana Ross.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2010, 09:04 AM
He needs to call Diana Ross.

Jean Dixon and Miss Cleo both saw this coming.

lpd1982
02-18-2010, 09:38 AM
``As long as we got games [left] on our schedule, we have opportunities.''

In case any of you missed it, this is what Coach Haith said to his players after last night's loss. These guys are 3-9 in conference.

Virginia Coach Tony Bennett said,

"I told our guys (that) I can handle losses, but the manner in which we lost the last couple of games has been frustrating." They have lost four consecutive games.

What both of these coaches have done is leave the door open for winning. They have spoken about the team as a collective that includes the coach. Reading any number of the Roy Williams thread reveals a glaring difference.

So I ask myself why do I care. Why do I care that Roy is turning into , or showing that he is, a baffoon. I guess because I want our rival to be someone you respect. And, even though I desperately want our guys to beat their guys, I still feel sorry for them as players. They are not losers as people and their coach doesn't know how to communicate that.

``As long as we got games [left] on our schedule, we have opportunities.''
Nice.

uncwdevil
02-18-2010, 09:46 AM

He actually does drive a BMW.

Duke of Nashville
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Roy needs a hug. So does Doh. Maybe they should meet up at the powder blue dome and have a bro-hug. Of course there is the whole elephant in the room, Doh thinking that Roy stabbed him in the back when he was coaching the heels.

Et tu Doh-tre?

DurhamMatt
02-18-2010, 10:59 AM

Won't Bomani ever learn, I wrote more in depth articles in my high school newspaper. I am shocked he got a deal with sirius.

weezie
02-18-2010, 11:11 AM
The biggest thing I got out of this interview was that Roy only referred to himself in the 3rd person once.

I think it would behoove all of us to refer to mr. williams as "The roy" from here on out.
He deserves the special recognition. He is a special kind of little man.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Love, love me do!
You know I love you!
I'll always be true!
So PLEEEEE-ASE
Love me Do!

HateCarolina
02-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I think it would behoove all of us to refer to mr. williams as "The roy" from here on out.
He deserves the special recognition. He is a special kind of little man.

Now that is something I can get behind. Long live "The Roy"!!

Jarhead
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
In this Raleigh N&O article this morning Roy must be desperate (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/344688.html):
"But if I'm desperate, I'm going to dive on the dadgum floor for the ball. If I'm desperate, I'm not going to turn it over on a handoff. If I'm desperate, I'm going to sprint back. If I'm desperate, I'm going to know who I'm guarding."NIce going, Roy. Blame it all on the players. What he said would be appropriate for the locker room, but not to the press. How does that encourage his players?

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM

God only knows what type of hot water he would get into if he told reporters what came out in a therapy session....God is beneath him?

dukeimac
02-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm no Roy defender and I don't care much for the guy but in listening to the interview Roy never comes across as bragging. It all sounds pretty matter of factually.

He does point out some things that are interesting. One was that during recruiting some players current players have came to him and said they don't think the recruit will fit in. I don't think he states that they give up on the recruit but I think it is implied. I think this does happen a lot, even to schools like Duke. Just because a recruit is ranked high or fans think they should get a player, there are things that might tell them the recruit is not a good fit and we don't know anything about those things that are telling the coaches that.

Anther thing he says is that if the interviewer doesn't buy his book he will still live a long and prosperous life. funny, but that sounds pretty modest to me. Not a picture I have of Roy.

SharkD
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Selective memory on the part of the caption writers:

Roy Williams took over a program built up by Dean Smith.

Yup, just like Leon Trotsky and Lev Kamenev, Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty never had prominent roles to play. Ever. For anyone. In anything.

oldnavy
02-18-2010, 04:48 PM

... all while his head is up his rear end as well!! :eek:

IBleedBlue
02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
In many respects, this years UNC team is like 2006-2007 Duke team with 5 freshmen, a couple of sophs and juniors and a couple of seniors. In fact, UNC team has two seniors while we only had one junior in DeMarcus Nelson.
Given a similar situation, coach K coached that team to a NCAA berth and .5 record in ACC. But Roy flat out couldn't coach this team. All he is basically trying to do is put a collection of great talent on the floor and thinking he would win.
Do UNC fans and media want more proof of who is a better coach?

davekay1971
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
To borrow from a favorite old King Rice cheer...

"Roy Williams, you suck, you really really suck."

jdj4duke
02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
No, they don't want more proof since they ignore any evidence at all. They comprise the world's largest flat earth society.

BD80
02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
... Do UNC fans and media want more proof of who is a better coach?

They don't want or need proof. The Helm's foundation will be voting soon.

Papa John
02-19-2010, 06:29 AM

THIS is the sign someone should bring to the game! Doesn't mention Haiti, yet slathers Roy in the absurdity of his statements!

Outstanding, Throaty!

roywhite
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Lenox Rawlings gives a few well-placed kicks to Roy and the Tarheels in this column titled "Tar Heels' season is definition of train wreck"

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/feb/19/tar-heels-season-is-definition-of-train-wreck/sports-columnists/

...The flailing residue still has a shot at ninth place, but maybe not a good shot

Edit: I see this in linked under the ACC Roundup from the front page; definitely worth a few chuckles...SchadenRoyde?

gumbomoop
02-20-2010, 04:28 AM
UNC is a lousy team with some very strong individual talent. You can't build squat off a lousy team.

A very good point [from a thread that's now locked.....], and one that it has taken me until right about now to understand; and I still don't understand it, I guess because it's too obvious.

That is, I've been in the camp that's been waiting these past few weeks for the "real" UNC to wake up; whereas more observant posters - and not merely for reasons of glee at the Heels' shocking demise, accompanied by Roy's yet more shocking, and repeated, meltdowns - have been saying, straight up, cut the crap, "They're lousy." I still can't quite believe it, but sagegrouse here is helping me see the light.

As one of the major themes that's emerged in several threads is next year's Heels, I'm now thinking about sagegrouse's "can't build squat" point. It raises the intriguing question of the carry-over effect of this year's debacle. While my own inclination is to say the Heels still have some really fine, and other promising, players [Zeller, Strickland, Davis-if, Henson, Graves-Wears-role players, Barnes and Bullock], their PG situation is still problematic for '10-'11. I don't buy the "Drew sucks" argument, but as many have pointed out, he's nowhere near Felton-Lawson; nor has any "expert" suggested that Marshall is that kind of answer. So the Heels may have a competent+ tandem at PG next season, but they don't appear to have consistent excellence there. [Whereas Duke has consistent excellence from JS, and a consistent blur coming in KI.]

And, to return to sagegrouse's essential message, even loads of talent isn't enough, if the coach cannot mold the talent into a team. Roy's got plenty of talent returning and arriving. But when sagegrouse says, "You can't build squat off a lousy team," that leads me to wonder whether Roy can rebuild something he has helped to destroy: UNC's deservedly-famed team-ness. [It is deserved, right? And it has utterly disintegrated before our very eyes this year, right?] How much damage has Roy inflicted on this group of young fellows? Can Roy recover, and actually coach? That's the really fascinating question for me: Roy has to un-do a lot of damage that he's either caused or, to put it more vaguely, he's "been a party to."

I think the answer is yes, for I guess - despite his dismaying self-revelations - I still believe in Roy. But man, he's been an absolute mess this year, so I'd be hard-pressed to explain why I think - as I do - the Heels will return to their normal excellence next year.

Roy's incompetence this year has sort of messed me up. Fortunately I have a fine counter-example in K's leadership - call it actual-real-good-by-god coaching - of his work-in-progress Blue Devils. In Feb '10, at least, it's like the proverbial night and day.

Devilsfan
02-20-2010, 07:48 AM
It's a GOOD coach that takes individual talent and makes them into a team. I'm glad we have Coach K and not loose cannon Ol' Roy. Coach K would have won 20 games already with this team already, imo.

SMO
02-20-2010, 08:36 AM
It's a GOOD coach that takes individual talent and makes them into a team. I'm glad we have Coach K and not loose cannon Ol' Roy. Coach K would have won 20 games already with this team already, imo.

I've stayed out of this aside from sitting back and enjoying the meltdown, but I will say this: I think Duke's 06/07 team had roughly half the talent this UNC team has. There were plenty of people kicking Duke when that 22-11 team was "down". This UNC team has exposed Roy, the "leaders" on that team, and the value of teamwork in the college game. A Coach K team would never have folded like this team.

Kdogg
02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I've stayed out of this aside from sitting back and enjoying the meltdown, but I will say this: I think Duke's 06/07 team had roughly half the talent this UNC team has. There were plenty of people kicking Duke when that 22-11 team was "down". This UNC team has exposed Roy, the "leaders" on that team, and the value of teamwork in the college game. A Coach K team would never have folded like this team.

A lot of people compare this UNC team to Duke 95/96 but I've always compared it to Duke 06/07. I would not go so far and say half the talent though UNC has more talent then we did in 2006 (when we were the youngest team in Duke and maybe ACC history). Both teams had a boatload of McDs AA (6 for Duke: 7 for UNC), senior leader(s) (Nelson > Ginyard + Thompson) and even a rumored malcontent power forward causing locker room tension. I'll even argue that the ACC was tougher in 06/07 and Duke still didn't meltdown like UNC. It has everything to do with coaching, leadship and disciple.

MarkD83
02-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I like the comparison to the Duke 06/07 team. The reason is that Duke not only had a below average season for them, but that was the year that they lost the "Duke mystique". Duke is till trying regain that mystique and that is why last years 30 win, ACC champion is not given enough due.

UNC may improve next year but this year's debacle has the extra effect that no one will fear UNC for a few years. Next year, ACC teams will see the same players in the UNC uniform with a few new freshman and say " We beat them by 20 last year so why should we fear them."

IBleedBlue
02-20-2010, 02:29 PM
I can't wait for acc tournament to begin. Instead of us going three peat against UNC, I want to see Clemson manhandling UNC with their full court press and trevor booker's size.

Clemson really puts down the hammer once their full court press starts clicking and this UNC team is perfect and ripe to go under their hammer.

DukeMom
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
In many respects, this years UNC team is like 2006-2007 Duke team with 5 freshmen, a couple of sophs and juniors and a couple of seniors. In fact, UNC team has two seniors while we only had one junior in DeMarcus Nelson.
Given a similar situation, coach K coached that team to a NCAA berth and .5 record in ACC. But Roy flat out couldn't coach this team. All he is basically trying to do is put a collection of great talent on the floor and thinking he would win.
I totally agree with this and wondered why it hasn't been mentioned before. Has Coach K (when he's been healthy and at a similar place in his career as Roi(the Royal Roy!)) ever had a team with as much supposed talent play as poorly as this year's UNC team? No matter how "off" we've been, or how much "rebuilding" is taking place, we have at least made it to the NCAA tournement. I have read so much on this board this season about how Roi has out-recruited K and that K's recruiting is weak, blah, blah, and it is laughable. First of all, Duke has higher academic standards than UNC, so some of the stuff that Roi will take, we can't. Secondly, K is all about chemistry, and you can tell from this year's UNC team that Roy, at least this year, didn't get that right. There is no question that K is the better recruiter over time and without a doubt, a better coach in every way.

bluepenguin
02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
After today's loss to BC he said:

"I thought we were going to win today and get on a great run and we be in the NCAA Tournament. Now I gotta readjust and see if we can get it done by starting on Wednesday night."

Tee Hee. Isn't schaden freude a great thing?

striker219
02-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I posted this in the official suckage thread, but for kicks...

UNC descends further into the unknown (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/4382/unc-descends-further-into-unknown-with-another-loss)

El_Diablo
02-20-2010, 05:37 PM
It warms my heart when I think about the possibility of this thread eclipsing the John Wall thread in terms of size. :)

natedog4ever
02-20-2010, 06:41 PM
I feel obligated to do this, although it is getting sort of predictable -

In said presser, he also called out Will Graves’ 1-5 shooting performance.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2010, 06:46 PM
I posted this in the official suckage thread, but for kicks...

UNC descends further into the unknown (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/4382/unc-descends-further-into-unknown-with-another-loss)
So does Andy Katz...that was pitiful. Hey Andy..they aren't going to the tourney, find another team.

"You’ve got to go out and fight until you frickin' die," said a heated Williams, who has been coaching with a sling for a few weeks after undergoing shoulder surgery this season and is now dealing with a bad head cold.

Even Roy gave up that crutch.

allenmurray
02-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Does anyone have an estimate of how many cubic feet of space there are under a bus? I'm just wondering if it is posible to throw everybody under the bus or if he will have to stop at some point. He can probably get all the players there, and maybe all the managers. What about the assistant coaches? The cheerleaders? The basketball office staff? Will they all fit under the bus?

oldnavy
02-20-2010, 06:54 PM
So does Andy Katz...that was pitiful. Hey Andy..they aren't going to the tourney, find another team.

I thought they were playing better when he was wearing the designer arm sling!

BD80
02-20-2010, 07:01 PM

Holy cow. ol' roy can't REALLY be relying on Will Graves' shooting to win games can he?

All that "talent," and the best offense that this "hall of fame" coach can come up with is a Will Graves jump shot?

Snort. Guffaw.

The wheels aren't coming off, they've gone and hid.

78Devil
02-20-2010, 07:16 PM
I really don't like to see this thread degenerate. After all the years of Carolina fans calling Coach K "Ratface", and denigrating him, I don't want to stoop to that level.

1. We all agree that Ole Roy is a great recruiter
2. We all agree that he is -- at best -- an average "in game" coach
3. His reputation is that he is a great motivator, but this season shows that that rep may be in doubt
4. He is obviously a pretty good whiner
5. The press may be -- temporarily -- catching on to item 4.

So what. No need for us to waste our time on this topic. Let's concentrate on DUKE.

oldnavy
02-20-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't endorse the site, but on FoxSports.com in the "College Experience" video section, there is a pretty scathing segment on Ol Roy. The language is "bleeped", but it is still a little over the top for me. It is geared toward a younger crowd, but it is still pretty funny.

striker219
02-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I really don't like to see this thread degenerate. After all the years of Carolina fans calling Coach K "Ratface", and denigrating him, I don't want to stoop to that level.

3. His reputation is that he is a great motivator, but this season shows that that rep may be in doubt

So what. No need for us to waste our time on this topic. Let's concentrate on DUKE.

I don't think we're anywhere close to that level. The vast majority of this thread has been about Roy and his ability (or lack thereof) to coach this team, this year.

-People have talked about the unique motivational techniques he has employed during press conferences.
-People have probably talked about how it is unwise to perform such techniques after having shoulder surgery because it has to be taxing on your joints to relocate a 19 year old basketball player to his new spot under the team transportation vehicle. If they haven't talked about it, well, there it is.
-People have talked about his inability/refusal to adapt his game to fit this team rather than forcing this team into his game.
-People have talked about the whining, the crying, the woe-is-me posturing that has been on display this season (even though you're playing with house money after two titles in five years).
-People have talked about the iron fist he wields over the unchecked wilds of the nose dome. (See, that's the kind of pointless personal attack you mention that I feel this thread has largely avoided)
-People have talked about the ridiculous good ol' boy persona and the even more ridiculous third person Ol' Roy uses every time Ol' Roy gets in front of a microphone.
-People have talked about the narcissism that they feel that the previous points display.
-People have talked about Haiti. A lot.
-People have talked about how much happier they are that Duke has a "K" and not a "Roy".

What I haven't seen is people taking stupid shots at Roy based on his appearance. If I wanted to I could probably have lots of fun with things like his angry foot stomping troll dance that we've all seen. I could make a less than witty comment about 'Roy'd rage, or maybe crack wise about Preparation H arriving on campus next fall and possibly soothing the burn of his apparent hemor'Roy'ds. I could do that but that would be childish and immature, and like you said, I don't want to stoop to that level.

What I will do is stop in this thread every now and then for a chuckle in between more important, more Duke-specific, topics.

Go Duke!

allenmurray
02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
or maybe crack wise about Preparation H arriving on campus next fall and possibly soothing the burn of his apparent hemor'Roy'ds.

Furthermore, no one would ever take that hilarious part of your post and put it in bold face print. Never.

Verga3
02-20-2010, 08:24 PM

Agreed.

It has been guilty (or pure) pleasure to hammer Roy, but it's time to back off now. Let's just watch it unfold to the end this year. There's no more need to elevate the pain in Chapel Hill (can't believe I just said that). We got the point. Roy wants, but not receive a "do-over" on and off the court this year, but he and another team will eventually be back. Let's save our energy for a time it will be actually be more needed.

GO DUKE!!

BD80
02-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Agreed.

It has been guilty (or pure) pleasure to hammer Roy, but it's time to back off now. Let's just watch it unfold to the end this year. There's no more need to elevate the pain in Chapel Hill (can't believe I just said that). We got the point. Roy wants, but not receive a "do-over" on and off the court this year, but he and another team will eventually be back. Let's save our energy for a time it will be actually be more needed.

GO DUKE!!

We WOULD stop. Really we would.

But ol' roy keeps on keepin on. He keeps on throwin' someone else under the ol' bus (is there anyone left?), or suffers some new physical pain, or says somethin' so gol darn stoopid, we CAN"T stop.

Make him stop and we'll stop.

El_Diablo
02-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Agreed.

GO DUKE!!

^There's nothing in that post that can be classified as piling it on, so I request that it be removed from this thread. :)

Moving on now...

"Bad night on offense? Shoooot. I've seen that boy finish more pecan pies at the team dinner."

I think Roy was angry about the 1-5 performance from Graves...until he realized that his own recent coaching performance is 1 out of 7.

dukebluelemur
02-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Why should we back off? Roy is having a miserable season, and making an arse out of himself at every opportunity. Its not like were making fun of something serious here, its sports. For goodness sake, its my God given right to take pleasure in the misfortune of UNC. Who are you to say "OK Guys! Stop enjoying yourselves! Lets all be sewious and boring!!"

Jeez. Its sports. If you cant take pleasure from it wherever you like, whats the freakin point?

roywhite
02-20-2010, 09:09 PM
So long as Roy thinks this is about him, he's fair game IMO. Here's a comment today:

"It's a frustrating time for us, the most frustrating time I've ever had in coaching, there's no question about that," North Carolina coach Roy Williams said.

Of course, whatever barbs we throw his way are dwarfed by the pain to him of Tarheel loss after loss, so it's really not up to us.

Newton_14
02-20-2010, 09:19 PM
He also put all the blame for the loss today on the players again. Having watched the entire game, I saw it differently. His coaching killed them today. That was a winnable game. BC had no answer for the holes zone, and were down 7 late in the 1st half. Yet he goes back to man and BC eats it up. He also made crazy substitutions again taking out players who were doing well and putting in D Wear who supposedly is now hurt too.

He keeps saying they need to just frickin play, well maybe he needs to just frickin coach. Like stick with what is working, call timeouts and make adjustments when they are not. The only adjustments he seems to know how to make is to send in a freshman who should not leave the bench, for an experienced player that is playing well.

But hey, as long as it leads to them losing game after game, I am all for it!!;)

Go Duke!

roywhite
02-20-2010, 09:45 PM
He keeps saying they need to just frickin play, well maybe he needs to just frickin coach. Like stick with what is working, call timeouts and make adjustments when they are not. The only adjustments he seems to know how to make is to send in a freshman who should not leave the bench, for an experienced player that is playing well.

But hey, as long as it leads to them losing game after game, I am all for it!!;)

Go Duke!

Yeah, good point; Roy is really not much of an in-game coach, it seems. He has won big with superior talent and a fast-breaking style. Now that the pieces don't fit together well, and the personnel is not conducive to the old style, he doesn't seem to make good adjustments.

On the timeouts, Roy was warped for life by his service under Dean Smith, who will probably die with 2 or 3 timeouts left. Roy likes to save his timeouts, too (remember the 40-12 uninterrupted blitz by Kansas against UNC in the 2008 Final Four), but hasn't been using good judgment about when to call them or what adjustments to make.

OldPhiKap
02-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Then there's this gem from his press conference today (source: IC)

On confidence issues:
“I feel like that’s a bunch of B.S. By golly, if you’re going to be a basketball player, be that. If you’re going to be afraid, come over there and sit down. I tried to be a psychologist for half the year, now it’s just, ‘You’ve got to get it done.’"

The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round
'round and 'round, 'round and 'round
all through the town.

Verga3
02-20-2010, 10:05 PM
We WOULD stop. Really we would.

But ol' roy keeps on keepin on. He keeps on throwin' someone else under the ol' bus (is there anyone left?), or suffers some new physical pain, or says somethin' so gol darn stoopid, we CAN"T stop.

Make him stop and we'll stop.

Guess I see your point. Maybe he won't stop. He does continue to self-inflict...but that's also my point. Let's continue to watch and listen as Roy throws himself under the bus.....but keep the dadgum barbs subtle enough so as not to diminish what he has already said much better with his very own comments. We have been on our usual DBR game for the most part, but always remember, this is NOT Inside Carolina.

Newton_14
02-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, good point; Roy is really not much of an in-game coach, it seems. He has won big with superior talent and a fast-breaking style. Now that the pieces don't fit together well, and the personnel is not conducive to the old style, he doesn't seem to make good adjustments.

On the timeouts, Roy was warped for life by his service under Dean Smith, who will probably die with 2 or 3 timeouts left. Roy likes to save his timeouts, too (remember the 40-12 uninterrupted blitz by Kansas against UNC in the 2008 Final Four), but hasn't been using good judgment about when to call them or what adjustments to make.

Agree on the timeouts. Dean used the same strategy. Holdem to the end "in case you need them"... In games like today it is better to use some of them early and maybe you don't need them in the end. Today he ended up eating the extra TO's and still lost...

gep
02-20-2010, 11:03 PM
He also put all the blame for the loss today on the players again. ...

He keeps saying they need to just frickin play, well maybe he needs to just frickin coach. ...

I wonder if the DBR t-shirt I bought a few years ago is appropriate :rolleyes:

front: "I agree with Roy"

back: "I don't give a s#@t about Carolina right now"
:D:rolleyes::D

WiJoe
02-20-2010, 11:38 PM

As I wrote elsewhere, Katz is as big a tool as Huck.

oldnavy
02-21-2010, 06:43 AM

And who could forget that great job of game managment the year before when UNC clanked 22 of 23 outside shots against Georgetown. AA Hansblah continued to post up, but never got the ball. Great coaching job there!

ReformedAggie
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
at some point in your life, you get what you deserve, not what you want. Perhaps Roy has reached that point. I'm sure enjoying the Tar Heel season this year. Wouldn't it be special if they even missed the NIT. If that happens, I await Roy's comment that it's a worse natural disaster than Katrina.

Devilsfan
02-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Let's not forget that every game the holes lose ol' roy sets another personal record. Hey this might be worse than any disaster in the history of the world.
I think we should all chip in and send him to Port O' Prince because it's better there than he has it living at the Govenors Club and a beach house in Wrightsville Beach.

OldPhiKap
02-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Every time Roy cries, an angel gets its wings.

uh_no
02-21-2010, 03:41 PM
'round and 'round, 'round and 'round
all through the town.

the heels under the bus go round and round......

WiJoe
02-21-2010, 05:44 PM
the heels under the bus go round and round......

Well put

:)

BlueintheFace
02-21-2010, 05:59 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/20/1762485/roy-williams-says-he-never-enjoyed.html

“The way I’m feeling right now, wondering if I’m worth anything,”

“Needless to say, right now, we’re about as low as you can possibly be,” he said. “If you don’t enjoy the good times, the bad times can just kill you.”

VanDuk
02-21-2010, 11:12 PM
How much effect do you guys think an article like this.

www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1762485.html

Has on recruiting? Do recruits pay any attention to this kind of thing?

I guess I keep thinking, if I were a McD AA with a choice of schools.. why in the hell would I play for a coach that is on the verge of a nervous breakdown? I could be wrong.. and I know he's won 2 titles. But sometimes it's hard for me to understand how we lose out on some recruits to them... what is the selling point for UNC?

I know this sounds completely bias on my part.. and I suppose it is.. lol.. I guess I'm looking to you guys for some perspective.

What say ye?

hc5duke
02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
what is the selling point for UNC?

Maybe something like this? (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=362803#post362803)

You're pretty much right. It was pretty clear to us plebes that, no, the basketball players didn't have to exert themselves too hard if they didn't want to. I can actually tell you stories.

hc5duke
02-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Doherty's actions a disgrace (http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20100222/SPORTS/2220318)

This is borderline Roy-related, but it seems D'oh learned a thing or two about crowd interaction from working with Roy.

VanDuk
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Maybe something like this? (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=362803#post362803)

haha. Maybe.. maybe.

Oh.. and Blue in the Face.. I didn't mean to steal your article.. I just noticed you posted that before me..

BD80
02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Doherty's actions a disgrace (http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20100222/SPORTS/2220318)

This is borderline Roy-related, but it seems D'oh learned a thing or two about crowd interaction from working with Roy.

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree:

Doherty ... was an assistant coach for nearly a decade at Kansas under current North Carolina coach Roy Williams

Doherty, however, apparently felt the need to keep talking to the point that he and Memphis coach Josh Pastner had heated and loud words with each other close to the exit from the floor toward the locker rooms.

Sounds like Matty is a bit jealous that Josh is the new hot young coach. Remember when Matt was the hot young coach? He does.

Acymetric
02-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Sounds like Matty is a bit jealous that Josh is the new hot young coach. Remember when Matt was the hot young coach? He does.

Nope. Sounds like Matt is the same guy he's always been. I'm sure people remember his antics with Dahntay Jones and Coach Collins.

hc5duke
02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Nope. Sounds like Matt is the same guy he's always been. I'm sure people remember his antics with Dahntay Jones and Coach Collins.

Andre Buckner