PDA

View Full Version : Parking Question

dcarp23
02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Headed to the game this weekend and have not driven on campus in about 7 years. We will be coming straight from the airport--where is the best place to park?

Thanks in advance!

-jk
02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
How early are you getting to campus?

-jk

hurleyfor3
02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Roxboro.

Last time I was on campus half the freaking roads were different. Stuff that used to connect didn't anymore, that kind of thing.

dcarp23
02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
How early are you getting to campus?

-jk

Unfortunately I had a 2:00 p.m. tip in my head when I booked the flight, so we will be getting there about a half hour prior (hopefully.)

-jk
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I think the Bryan Center deck would be about as good as you could get, then. Right at the center of campus, close to the Duke Store (where you can stimulate the economy and support our favorite organization at the same time). Right next to the most Beautiful Church in the South. What's not to like?

Get there from Science Drive (Research Drive won't get you there anymore) via 751.

-jk

dcarp23
02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I think the Bryan Center deck would be about as good as you could get, then. Right at the center of campus, close to the Duke Store (where you can stimulate the economy and support our favorite organization at the same time). Right next to the most Beautiful Church in the South. What's not to like?

Get there from Science Drive (Research Drive won't get you there anymore) via 751.

-jk

Wait-there's a Bryan Center deck?

airowe
02-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Wait-there's a Bryan Center deck?

There is, but I don't think you can park there during events. They turned me away last time I tried.

You'd be just as close parking on the side of Cameron Drive across the street from the Washington Duke. It's a shorter walk than from the Bryan Center.

They already have a banner up on Cameron celebrating 30 years with Coach K!

-bdbd
02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
"There is, but I don't think you can park there during events. They turned me away last time I tried.

You'd be just as close parking on the side of Cameron Drive across the street from the Washington Duke. It's a shorter walk than from the Bryan Center."
-----

I was in town for the PENN game just over a month ago, and we parked in the Bryan Center deck (accessed via Science drive). They even had a "traffic cop" in front directing people inside. It was $5 paid in advance. Covered and secure, and maybe a 7 minute walk through the most beautiful campus in the South...

:)

bird
02-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I usually have quite a drive after the game, so ease of exit is a priority. A few spaces are offered well before game time along Towerview; after the game you head down to Morreene and get right on 15-501. Failing that, I park in one of the lots behind Chem on Circuit Drive; if you go out the back way you hit Erwin without much trouble, and you can get to Morreene easily. A couple of years ago there was a concerted effort to crack down on parking, and all of my "secret" spots were sealed off, so I caved in and park in authorized and official spaces.

MulletMan
02-09-2010, 08:12 PM
The two easiest places for you to park at that time will be the Circuit or Chemistry lots off of Towerview... but Towerview and Moreene will have crazy traffic. I would recommend coming off of 147N onto East campus from the Swift exit. Turn right off the ramp, and then take a Left onto Main St. Take that a couple of blocks, turn left on Erwin/9th St and go under the RR tracks. Take Erwin past the hospital and then turn Left onto LaSalle. Take that until it ends, turn right and you'll be on Circuit.

This route will avoid most of the traffic and get you into the Circuit lot ($5).

Enjoy the game!

Rich
02-09-2010, 09:22 PM
"There is, but I don't think you can park there during events. They turned me away last time I tried.

You'd be just as close parking on the side of Cameron Drive across the street from the Washington Duke. It's a shorter walk than from the Bryan Center."
-----

I was in town for the PENN game just over a month ago, and we parked in the Bryan Center deck (accessed via Science drive). They even had a "traffic cop" in front directing people inside. It was $5 paid in advance. Covered and secure, and maybe a 7 minute walk through the most beautiful campus in the South...

:)

I was down for the GTech game. You can park at the Bryan Center, but I was told you need to get there at least an hour before tip. There are a limited # of spots.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
The two easiest places for you to park at that time will be the Circuit or Chemistry lots off of Towerview... but Towerview and Moreene will have crazy traffic. I would recommend coming off of 147N onto East campus from the Swift exit. Turn right off the ramp, and then take a Left onto Main St. Take that a couple of blocks, turn left on Erwin/9th St and go under the RR tracks. Take Erwin past the hospital and then turn Left onto LaSalle. Take that until it ends, turn right and you'll be on Circuit.

This route will avoid most of the traffic and get you into the Circuit lot ($5).

Enjoy the game!
The Chem Lot is reserved Iron Duke parking. The lot just further down Circuit Dr., on the opposite side if the street, is $5 public parking and just a pleasant 10 minute walk to Cameron.

GODUKEGO
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
The best place to park, that depends. If you are a turtle fan the best place would be Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. From there just a short walk maybe 5 minutes tops. If not a turtle fan, agree with jk at the Bryan Center Deck, right near the Chapel. $5.00 and easy exit.

SharkD
02-09-2010, 11:29 PM
A couple of links to peruse:

Duke Athletics Mens' Basketball parking map (http://www.goduke.com//pdf5/645873.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200) (PDF) the Bryan Center deck is just above the "Card Gym Lot" bubble, in yellow.

Duke University Parking & Transportation Surface Lot and Garage maps (http://parking.duke.edu/parking/maps/index.php)

Cameron Indoor Stadium on map.duke.edu (http://map.duke.edu/building/23) includes current street configurations & closest parking information

Kimist
02-10-2010, 01:21 AM
I thought the game is at 1 pm on Saturday???

Another thing to note: Even though there is some "public" street parking, they now routinely rope off most of those spaces prior to games. (You know, every $5 helps someone.) The ropes will be gone when you leave the game.

The lots on Circuit Drive, behind the Chem Bldg, are probably the best. You might get lucky and find a space in the Bryan Center deck but that requires an early arrival. The links provided by SharkD should be helpful.

And don't be confused by the vast empty-on-weekend lots near the Duke Hospital - you cannot get into them. Same goes for the lots near the old Bio-Sci Bldg. (See previous statement re $5)

k

hughgs
02-10-2010, 07:32 AM
I thought the game is at 1 pm on Saturday???

Another thing to note: Even though there is some "public" street parking, they now routinely rope off most of those spaces prior to games. (You know, every $5 helps someone.) The ropes will be gone when you leave the game.

The lots on Circuit Drive, behind the Chem Bldg, are probably the best. You might get lucky and find a space in the Bryan Center deck but that requires an early arrival. The links provided by SharkD should be helpful.

And don't be confused by the vast empty-on-weekend lots near the Duke Hospital - you cannot get into them. Same goes for the lots near the old Bio-Sci Bldg. (See previous statement re $5)

k

They don't rope off public street parking. They rope off the areas where there are "No Parking" signs, because everyone tries to park there anyway.

summerwind03
02-10-2010, 08:58 AM
They now do rope off public street parking. (They're their streets, but still. . .)

Kimist
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
They don't rope off public street parking. They rope off the areas where there are "No Parking" signs, because everyone tries to park there anyway.

Sorry - but you are incorrect. There are many, many places where folks can normally park without violation that are "unavailable" prior to sports events, and strangely become available shortly after the event has begun.

hughgs
02-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Sorry - but you are incorrect. There are many, many places where folks can normally park without violation that are "unavailable" prior to sports events, and strangely become available shortly after the event has begun.

Please name them.

summerwind03
02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I know that there were spots on Towerview, near Research Drive, that used to be open (except weekdays) and are now roped off and they charge $5 for. That is new this year.

hughgs
02-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I know that there were spots on Towerview, near Research Drive, that used to be open (except weekdays) and are now roped off and they charge $5 for. That is new this year.

Those aren't "public" spots, you need a permit to park there.

I will admit that I've biased the discussion because there aren't really any "public" parking spots on campus. But, I find it disingenuous to suggest that Duke is taking away public parking during the games. Duke doesn't really have public parking, except for the metered spots and a couple of 10-15 minute parking spots near a few buildings.

MulletMan
02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
The permitted street spots on Towerview (Chem lot and Green Zone Permits) along with the Circuit Drive (Circuit lot permit) and LaSalle St. Extension (Circuit and LaSalle permits) are usually open to the public on weekdays after 5:00 and weekends. For the last two years Duke P&TS has been roping off those spots on weekends (Men's BBall and some football games), and attempting to do so for 9:00 home BBall games.) They direct traffic into the pay parking lots Circuit and Bryan Center garage (I thought Chem too, but I believe Ozzie when he says that's only Iron Dukes.) Once those lots are filled, they open one "end" of the row of street spots and charge to park there as well.

MulletMan
02-10-2010, 01:38 PM

This is not true. There are very, very few spots on campus where one can park without violation at any given time. All lots are only accessible if you are a student, employee or permit holder. Even those lots have strict time guidelines. Furthermore, permit holders are often removed from those lots for certain events (see Blue Zone and Card lot permit holders).

The only public parking options on campus are in the BC Parking garage and roughly 100-150 street spots on Towerview and Circuit drive after 5:00 and on weekends. There are 3 metered spots behind Cameron off of Whitford Drive and maybe 6 or 7 on the corner of LaSalle and Circuit Dr. There are probably a few more around campus that I'm not aware of.