PDA

View Full Version : Lost: Ben's Flashback Episode

JasonEvans
05-09-2007, 11:20 PM
This was easily one of the best Lost episodes ever. Gripping, brilliant acting, some small answers, and yet some dramatic new mysteries. What a truly incredible hour of television. I did not even mind that we left the beach folks on a huge cliffhanger of "what is Jack about to tell them about his plans with Juliette?" It does not bother me at all because I was so eager to get back to Locke and Ben.

The entire encounter with Jacob was stunning. I'll say this, no way they can kill off Ben until we get to see how he first met Jacob and until we get a bit more of their relationship. There are more Ben flashbacks in the works-- there have to be!

Did Richard just get elevated to the ranks of one of the most important characters on the show or what?!?! Does he not age at all? Hmmmm. I wonder how long ago Ben joined up with The Others? Did Ben stop aging once he joined them?

Most importantly, is Locke dead? I think probably not. I think Jacob will heal him. Jacob spoke to Locke and Locke even seemed to actually see Jacob for a fleeting second or two. If Jacob can cure cancer then he certainly can take care of a little bullet wound to the chest, right?

Not much more now-- still aborbing all that I saw. Wow, though... just WOW!!

-Jason "the next 2 epsiodes will be all about the Lostaways versus the Others... I am not sure I even care about that at this point... I want to know more about Ben and Jacob!!" Evans

A-Tex Devil
05-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Right around the time you hear "Help me" there is an image of **someone** in that chair. Need to go back and watch the DVR, but watching the Shield right now.

Anyone have screencaps? It looked like Ben's Dad but it obviously wasn't him.

Awesome episode.

dukeblueyes
05-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I was a little worried that Lost might have jumped the shark with the ol' invisible man trick... but the creepy "Help me" totally made it work (also, did anyone Tivo that scene to see what Locke might have seen of Jacob?).
I wasn't on board with all of the Locke loving on this board until he beat Mikhail senseless.. totally badass. But ah! Locke can't die!
Also... I didn't read the uber spoiler thread (yet)... did this episode cover what was discussed there? I don't want to know definite spoilers but that thread is hard to avoid. Hopefully I can make it until after the season finale...
I'm also glad Roger Work Man turned out to be significant.
Ben = best bad guy ever.
And what was up with Alex handing Locke the gun?
Sorry my thoughts aren't composed, but, wow, what an episode.

Son of Jarhead
05-09-2007, 11:58 PM
This was easily one of the best Lost episodes ever. Gripping, brilliant acting, some small answers, and yet some dramatic new mysteries. What a truly incredible hour of television...

...still absorbing all that I saw. Wow, though... just WOW!!

I couldn't say it any better, so I just quoted Jason... plus, I'm kinda speechless. Wow!

ChrisP
05-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Lucky for him Ben gassed him before Newman and Kramer could strap a rickshaw to him!

But seriously, the first question that comes to mind about the whole Jacob thing is....WTF?!? That was way weird to me - even by LOST standards! An invisible, luddite dude who lives in basically a hovel? Ummm...ok. Can't wait to see where they're goin' with THAT one. For the first part of that scene, I honestly thought that Ben was looney tunes - I mean it was obvious that HE saw someone in that chair. As others have said, I hope Jacob (or someone) saves Locke. Heck, Mikhail survived a brain-scramblin courtesy of the sonic fence. I have to believe that they're not going to kill off such an intriguing character just yet. OTOH, he kinda does know too much and appears now to be a real threat to Ben's leadership.

And how about old Ben goin' all Benedict Arnold on the Dharma people? I guess the group he leads really are the "others". So...if they're not Dharma, that begs the question, who are they and what are they doing? Maybe I'm just dense or missed some big clue a while back, but until now, I thought that Ben's group was what remained of Dharma. And yeah, I guess Richard is kind of an important character now - also intrigued to see how that story line plays out. Sorry, no insightful analysis here - I'm still kind of just stunned. Great episode....but as usual...not sure what it means.

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 12:19 AM
When Sayid, Locke, and Kate first encountered Mikhail at his station (I forget which one it is supposed to be-- the Pearl, right?) he told them the story about the "purge" and everyone in Dharma being dead. Now, the way he tells it, he is the last surviving member of Dharma, but he was lying. Still, it has been widely assumed since that story that there was a fight between Dharma and The Others and that The Others won.

And now we know that The Others won because Ben helped them out. Nasty!!

Now, I mut go in search of screen caps of Jacob!

-Jason "has Ben ever claimed to be born on the island in front of Richard?" Evans

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Now, I mut go in search of screen caps of Jacob!

The man, the myth. Who the heck is this?

http://www.lostpedia.com/images/d/df/Jacob.JPG

--Jason "looks kinda like Kris Kristopherson, doesn't it?" Evans

Son of Jarhead
05-10-2007, 12:48 AM
The profile looks almost like John Locke, to me, except for that thing on his head. (Anybody good with photo editing software want to enhance this photo?) Are those Colonial era clothes (& hair/wig style)? Could the hostiles have been the pirates? Could this be the Pirate Captain? Too many questions & not enough episodes left in this season. We will probably have to wait until next season to get some answers, but then we will also get more mysteries, too. Man, I'm enjoying this show!

johnb
05-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Agreed. Very cool.

What was that stuff on the ground in front of Jacob's house?

The kids age, but Richard doesn't?

Is Dharma beer good?

I wonder who decides school policy and curriculum?
Uniforms----check
Volcanoes--check
Rifles in classrooms----check
Historical holocausts-----check
Polar bears in the tropics---check
Medical miracles-----check
Smoke monsters-----check

Is Locke rising on the third day?

Who's Naomi?

Mikhail was one of the Dharma peaceniks?

Did Ben have a good reason to kill everyone?

Do the writers on this show have unresolved parent issues?

Exiled_Devil
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Not much more now-- still absorbing all that I saw. Wow, though... just WOW!!

Speechless. Lost is back to kicking-{{apparently censored word}} mode. I think that the idea that time spent with the Others was filler is not nearly as likely. The Others are an integral part of the story.

Interesting how they have ~40 Losties, we meet about 10, and in order to get more deep characters in, they engage the mysterious others.

Exiled

feldspar
05-10-2007, 08:52 AM
wow wow wow wow wow wow

I love this show.

A-Tex Devil
05-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Looks alot like Locke with a beard and hair

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 09:34 AM
What was that stuff on the ground in front of Jacob's house?

It looked sorta like it might be gunpowder. Locke clearly checked it out and there is no way the show spends time looking at that stuff and then does not come back to it some time.

I did not get the impression it was just around Jacob's house, because we saw it when they were hiking during the day but they did not reach Jacob's house until the night. Still, it might be something that surrounds Jacob's house in a huge circle. Perhaps it is something that keeps Jacob from getting out? Maybe that is what Jacob needs help with, to get away from there.

The kids age, but Richard doesn't?

Time is clearly a flexible thing on the island and I suspect people do not age or perhaps age very slowly while they are on the island. In fact, this may make it possible to bring Walt back to the show. I always thought it would be a problem if he was in season four or five and time on the show had only progressed a few months but Walt was 4 years older (which would really show on a ten - 14 year old), but if the island is in some time loop or something then it could allow Walt to age a lot faster than the characters on the island. Of course, that could make Desmond's relationship with Penny difficult. How cool would it be for Penny and Desmond to finally be reunited only to find that she is now an 80-year-old woman?!?! Yikes!!

Is Dharma beer good?

Good enough to get Sawyer drunk after sitting in the back of a van for a few years. Yummm!

I wonder who decides school policy and curriculum?
Uniforms----check
Volcanoes--check
Rifles in classrooms----check
Historical holocausts-----check
Polar bears in the tropics---check
Medical miracles-----check
Smoke monsters-----check

Worth noting that we never saw the smoke monster in any of the Ben/Dharma flashbacks (unless it took the form of Ben's mom). I wonder how Richard and the other Others survived before they got inside the sonic fence? Was the smoke monster not a threat to them when they lived in the woods? This could turn out to be a significant piece of info.

Is Locke rising on the third day?

The way this show throws around religous and philosophical stuff, I would not be at all surprised. I think Ben will tell everyone that Locke is dead and then when Locke shows up alive (thanks to Jacob's healing, probably) it will make Locke even more of a demi-God to the Others and allow Locke to fully overthrow Ben. Ben was clearly rattled by Tom and Richard not moving a muscle to stop Locke when Locke beat the @!^@& out of Mikhail.

Who's Naomi?

I thought they had told us that she was sent by Penny to find Desmond. That is why she was shocked to find all the 815 survivors.

Mikhail was one of the Dharma peaceniks?

No, Mikhail is an Other. He was pretending to be Dharma when Sayid, Locke, and Kate found him at the Pearl station.

Did Ben have a good reason to kill everyone?

He hated his life with them and hated his father. He's a crazy dude who is power-mad. That's reason enough.

I also find it interesting that Ben was just a "work man" for Dharma. He clearly dreamed of being more. I am surprised Dharma did not recognize his talents and intellect. I am really surprised Ben was not able to manipulate his way into being a more important person in Dharma.

Here is something I wonder-- why is Dharma still sending supplies to the Island? Clearly, the main group of Dharma folks were killed off several years ago. For that matter, how are The Others connected so well to the outside world? They have a lot of money for a bunch of folks who were dirty and living in the jungle before they took over the Dharma barracks. I mean, they have enough money to send Richard and other folks back and forth to civilization and to set up dummy companies that can be used to recruit people (Julliet) to the island. Hmmmmm. I hope this stuff gets resolved but I sorta fear it may not.

Do the writers on this show have unresolved parent issues?

Seems likely!

-Jason "I want to hear other people's thoughts and theories beyond -- WOW, WHAT A GREAT EP!" Evans

feldspar
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the smoke monster is manipulated by Jacob, in some way.

Jacob used the smoke monster to lure little Ben into the woods so he could hook up with "the hostiles."

He is using the smoke monster to terrorize and confuse the hell out of the Losties, but also to communicate with Locke, because he knows that Locke is special.

Windsor
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
A top notch episode. My personal ramblings:

I assume Jacob will save Locke - I'm wondering why Ben seemed so agitated that Jacob spoke to Locke..and if he (Ben) can hear Jacob why didn't he know what Jacob said without asking?

Jacob hates technology (flashlights are technology?) Ben warns Locke about this, and Jacob has his invisible meltdown when Locke uses the flashlight. Could the 'hostiles' have been some group going completely off the grid - the whole be one with nature and the island thing. Then Dharma shows up with sonic fences and vehicles et al. and ruins Eden for them?

The powder around Jacob's house - could this tie in to Rousseau taking dynamite from Black Rock?

Why did Dannielle give Locke the gun? Has she seen Jacob? Why would she think he's dangerous...or was it Ben she tought Locke would need the gun against? Have people gone with Ben to see Jacob before and not returned?

The others seemed pretty shocked when Locke said he was going to see Jacob (which is why I think nobody stopped Locke from beating the tar out of Mikhail...it was a definite up yours to Ben)

I want it to be next week NOW!

Windsor
05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the smoke monster is manipulated by Jacob, in some way.

Perhaps Jacob IS the smoke monster or rather that's one of the forms he takes. He's also Ben's mother and Jack's father (his appearance in season 1) and all of the other 'dead' characters that seem to appear.

Rich
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
I liked the fact that they closed the loop on the VW van with the skeleton. Ben left his dead father in it only to be found untouched years (?) later by Hurley for his historic joyride down the hill. Who would've thunk at the time that that was Ben's father!

BlueDiablo
05-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Jacob used the smoke monster to lure little Ben into the woods so he could hook up with "the hostiles."

He is using the smoke monster to terrorize and confuse the hell out of the Losties, but also to communicate with Locke, because he knows that Locke is special.

That's what I'm thinking too. I think the smoke monster is what Jacob uses to "summons you."

brandon990
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Time is clearly a flexible thing on the island and I suspect people do not age or perhaps age very slowly while they are on the island. In fact, this may make it possible to bring Walt back to the show. I always thought it would be a problem if he was in season four or five and time on the show had only progressed a few months but Walt was 4 years older (which would really show on a ten - 14 year old), but if the island is in some time loop or something then it could allow Walt to age a lot faster than the characters on the island. Of course, that could make Desmond's relationship with Penny difficult. How cool would it be for Penny and Desmond to finally be reunited only to find that she is now an 80-year-old woman?!?! Yikes!!

I agree that a time difference would be a great twist, and I'm rambling from memory here, but what about when Ben showed Juliet her sister with her new child? Richard was there with the newspaper, correct? Can't recall if the time sequence worked or not, but if that was a live feed and the age of the child was correct then the island can't be on a different time. Also, when the alarm sounded at that station and those two guys called Juliet, that corresponded directly with the explosion of the hatch. (Great description of events I know, but I'm at work and not googling).

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
The powder around Jacob's house - could this tie in to Rousseau taking dynamite from Black Rock?

Why did Dannielle give Locke the gun? Has she seen Jacob? Why would she think he's dangerous...or was it Ben she tought Locke would need the gun against? Have people gone with Ben to see Jacob before and not returned?

The others seemed pretty shocked when Locke said he was going to see Jacob (which is why I think nobody stopped Locke from beating the tar out of Mikhail...it was a definite up yours to Ben)

I want it to be next week NOW!

A couple quick comments--

The powder around the shack may have been gunpowder but I am not sure how that would relate to Rousseau's dynamite. The makeup of gunpowder and dynamite are, I believe, entirely different.

Minor point, but it was not Danielle who gave Locke the gun. It was Alex, Danielle's daughter who was taken by The Others and raised as Ben's daughter. Worth noting that she was taken 15+ years ago which dates the time of the "purge" to even longer ago than that (because she thinks Ben is her father).

I may be wrong, but I got the impression that no one but Ben has ever even tried to see Jacob. That is why it was so significant when Locke said that is where they were going.

I want to see what happens next with Locke and Jacob and Ben NOW-- sadly, I have a feeling we will not get to see that next week. Next week and probably the week after are going to be all about Jack, Sayid, and the rest of the Lostaways going to war with The Others. We will likely see Ben some, but not Locke or Jacob...

...but my prediction for the final scene of the season is Locke laying in that mass grave, holding his gut. He suddenly starts feeling better and maybe even stops bleeding. Then he gets up and starts looking around to figure a way out of the hole when a hand reaches down to him to help him out. He looks up and says, "Jacob?"

Fade to black and wait 6 months to find out what happens next.

-Jason "no spoilers, just rampant speculation about that" Evans

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Worth a read: http://www.beggingtodiffer.com/2007/05/10/lost-the-man-behind-the-curtain

dukeblueyes
05-10-2007, 12:07 PM
-If the smoke monster summons you, that might explain why Juliet was so freaked out by it when she was handcuffed to Kate.
-Maybe the gunpowder was a fence to keep Jacob *IN* and he is trapped, hence the "Help me"... I'm thinking "Field of Dreams" style, something happens to him when he steps over the line?
-Remember how Danielle said the people in her party got sick something like 17 years ago? Maybe that was the same time the hostiles gassed the Dharma hippies?

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
-Remember how Danielle said the people in her party got sick something like 17 years ago? Maybe that was the same time the hostiles gassed the Dharma hippies?

I dunno-- remember when Ben first arrives on the island, he sees everyone being given some kind of shot/innoculation. Clearly there is some "sickness" that the Dharma folks were worried about and that Rousseau thinks drove some of her people crazy. It is a story-line that has mostly been ignored but it has cropped up enough so that I am sure it will someday be explained.

-Jason "Rousseau is going to be part of the Lostaways battle with The Others-- I think" Evans

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Another image of Jacob:

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/gallery/1_09_05_07_10_43_58.jpg

-Jason "I am thinking more and more that Ben is somehow keeping Jacob a prisoner with the gunpowder/ash/whatever that is surrounding Jacob's shack" Evans

dcarp23
05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I think people are looking too much into Richard not aging. Maybe there is something there, but my guess is they simply wanted to use the same actor as a younger man and a more middle aged man (see Locke, who is ridiculous looking as a "young man"). When Ben met him, he could easily have been 14 and Richard, judging by his clothing and harircut, could have been 21. Now, Ben could be 35 and Richard 42, which isn't that unrealistic. The question vis-a-vis these guys is how Ben became the leader of this crew.

My other question is why Ben took Locke to see Jacob in the first place? Obviously, it's a television show and plot devices are necessary, but I don't see his rationale in doing so.

Jfrosh
05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I got a definite "Psycho" vibe from the scene in the cabin with Locke, Ben, and maybe Jacob. I was ready for Ben to start calling the invisible person in the chair "Mother." Definitely creepy.
This was my favorite episode probably of any show ever.
I think Jason's right, the last scene of this season will be a healing Locke looking up out of the pit saying "Jacob, I presume."

BlueDiablo
05-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Worth a read: http://www.beggingtodiffer.com/2007/05/10/lost-the-man-behind-the-curtain

Thanks, Jason. :)

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Get ready for it...

The hot theory is that Jacob is Locke.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Satyr1138/LockeJacob-2.jpg

Ok, maybe Jacob is not actually Locke, but perhaps Jacob is Locke from some alternate timeline? Or maybe Jacob is Locke's brother (his "Bad Twin" if you will)? The other hot theory is that Jacob is the captain of the Black Rock who has never died (Richard would be one of the shipmates from the Black Rock under this theory) and that he is one of Locke's ancestors.

It is interesting that whoever Jacob is, he is pretty clearly partially or fully bald and has a forehead that is pretty darn similar to Locke's.

--Jason "is it possible that Locke could not see Jacob because they are the same person?" Evans

Son of Jarhead
05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Looks alot like Locke with a beard and hair

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the picture. I've tried thinking how that would work, if Jacob is Locke, but I can't get anything to make sense, so I'll spare everyone my nonsense.

I think Locke will definately be rising from the grave. Seeing him in the mass grave reminded me about his comment to Paulo: "Things on this island never stay buried long", or something like that. Who would of thought anything from that episode might prove to foreshadow future events, but if Locke lives on, well... I guess on the island, nothing is trivial or unimportant.

Is anybody ever truly dead on the island? The whispering could be people who are supposed to be dead, but are trapped. Maybe Jacob, too, but Ben has confined him even more with that mystery powder.

What happened to Ben's girl, Annie? Did he gas her, too? Will we see her again? They never showed her body.

Roger seemed to age on the island (& Ben certainly did), but Goodspeed didn't seem any older when they showed him dead on a park bench. Do some people age, while others do not?

Is it Wednesday yet?

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
This next post is going to contain some speculation that some folks might consider to be spoilers, so I am going to put it all in hidden text. This is not something that I have heard from a source or any inside info, it is just speculation that I have based upon looking at some pictures from the preview for next week's episode.

I don't think anyone would consider this sleuthing to be some huge spoiler. It is a plot point that I think most see coming anyway. Still, I'll hide it as best I can.

Ok, here is the spoiler: I think Charlie is toast. I know, hardly a surprise, but here is my evidence.

Have a look at this picture: http://bp3.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/RkKdvpsh6eI/AAAAAAAAFR8/hyyW5n9Qjz0/s1600-h/07.jpg

It is a picture from the previews for next week. That would appear to be Charlie's funky "DS" ring laying in Aaron's crib. I think Desmond tells Charlie that the time has come for Charlie to die and Charlie accepts it. Charlie then makes a list of all the things he has enjoyed about his life (shown here: http://bp3.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/RkIjYpsh6LI/AAAAAAAAFPk/zfc2iTkHeH0/s1600-h/tvguidemay07.jpg), then he gives away his ring to Aaron and kisses Clarie goodbye http://bp1.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/RkKdvJsh6cI/AAAAAAAAFRs/NYJ7BgqM7xw/s1600-h/05.jpg and then he goes off on his mission that will result in his death.

Like I said, not a huge spoiler but that is a lot of evidence in my mind.

--Jason "when will the show get back to Locke? I fear we may not see him again this season" Evans

Exiled_Devil
05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
--Jason "when will the show get back to Locke? I fear we may not see him again this season" Evans

Unfortunately, I think that this is the most likely prediction anyone has made yet. They made us wait for Locke's fate at the beginning of the season, and again at the end his fate will be in question.

Couching the rest in my personal belief that I can't theorize worth crap regarding television plots, here are thoughts I have had:

Locke's not dead, that scene is Schmuckbait.

I am in the school of 'Jacob uses the smoke monster to communicate/control things'

I rented a room from a guy who was on a Native American shamanic path, and when I was there he did a ceremony to guard the house from unwanted influences. In the ceremony he poured a ring of powder around the house and yard. I was reminded of that when I saw the powder on the trip to Jacob's house.

I wonder if there is some sort of valuable resource on the island that enables them to have so much access and capability off the island. Or does the 'magic box of whatever you want' have power that extends to the mainland? That would explain Juliette's ex-husband getting the bus.

I think that Mikhial, the communication building and the 'quarantine' are components that can build a decent argument for why Dharma is still supplying the island - some of us survived, but the disease is still around. Send food but stay off the island. It's not bombproof, but it is viable.

The Hostiles were apparently the reason for the fence...but I don't buy it. I don't know why, but I think the fence is still for something more significant.

Tonights episode seems to me to be evidence that the 'Others' have always been part of the overall story. These people are essential to unravelling the mystery of the island. Speaking of, here are the outstanding mysteries as far as I can tell:

Who is Jacob?
What caused the quarantine? Was it ever real?
What about the Dharma initiative agendas: the six research streams ( I can't find them online anymore)
Pregnant ladies? What does that have to do with everything?
Does Rich Alpert have four toes?
Giant foot?
Where are Micheal and Walt?
What year is it, really?
How does Desmond see the future?
How did the plane crash?
Rousseau's story is still a mystery.
What about the old couple - wife with cured cancer - are they going to do anything more? Or even be seen?
Penny's ordeal
Hanso? What does he have to do with all this?
Mittelwerk? What does he have to do with all this?
Smoke monster?

As I made that list, I realized that they have given answers to a lot of questions, but almost none with clarity.

I am really looking forward to reviewing old seasons in order to catch hints forward and back.

Exiled

A-Tex Devil
05-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Another theory to think about --- the ashes/gunpowder, whatever around Jacob's cabin was Smokey at rest.

JasonEvans
05-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Yes, I am crazy...

I watched a few key scenes over again tonight... often with my TIVO set on slo-mo to catch everything I could. Among the stuff I saw...

- When teen-aged Ben first encounters Richard in the woods, Richard's clothes are not just dirty, they are ancient clothing. The buttons do not look machine made. The stiches are large and obvious. They appear to be clothes made hundreds of years ago, like the kind of thing a sailor in the 1800s would have worn. Yes, I am probably just looking for some more proof for my "Richard is a member of the Black Rock crew" theory, but this really stuck out to me.

- Strangely, when Richard meets Ben again at the Dharma camp some years later after the gassing, Richard is now wearing a modern watch and somewhat more modern looking clothes. Other member of The Others appear more modernly dressed at this point too. For some reason Richard is no longer unshaven and unlempt-- his hair is recently cut and neat and he appears to have showered that morning. I have not figured this part of it out yet.

- When Ben is giving his final speech to Locke before shooting Locke into the mass grave, Ben says, "I was one of the people smart enough to make sure I did not to end up in that ditch." He is talking about members of the Dharma group here and is clearly talking in the plural. There are other Dharma people who survived the purge, I am convinced.

- When Locke is startled by Jacob coming to life, the lantern Ben carried into the room is thrown to the floor and it breaks. A fire bursts out on the floor and beings to spread. Suddenly, the fire is gone, as if by magic. Also, when Ben walks out of the shack after Locke has fled, Ben is carrying the lantern. It is no longer broken.

I'll watch it some more in coming days to see what else I notice.

-Jason "I am eager for a Richad flashback episode-- which probably comes a loong time from now, maybe not until the final season" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
05-11-2007, 12:30 AM
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the picture. I've tried thinking how that would work, if Jacob is Locke, but I can't get anything to make sense, so I'll spare everyone my nonsense.

Both James T. Kirk and William Riker were split into two people in transporter accidents, and in Riker's case it wasn't discovered until years after it happenned, almost like a parallel universe thing. Would it really surprise anyone for Dahrma/the island to have a transporter? I think not... :rolleyes:

BCGroup
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/

johnb
05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Annie is critical to Ben, and they didn't show her in the purge. To my mind, they have to show her later, at least in terms of a flashback. Given his preoccupation with women who die in childbirth, the frequency of recurring motifs, her maternalism, and his doll playing, my bet is on her having died in childbirth on the island, perhaps even before the purge, which might make for some sort of explanation that would make him less of a Charles Manson figure. It would take some heavy lifting to make him somewhat heroic, but, if it can happen anywhere...

Dukerati
05-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree with John that Annie is critical. My first thought after watching the show was that Ben gassed the Dharma Initiative in part due to some traumatic event with Annie. As the only person (so far) who has shown Ben any kindness, she would appear to be the most important person in his life. I can't wait for the flashback episode when we find out what happened with her! (Hmm, Ben's mom died seven months into her pregnancy, isn't that when pregnant women die on the island? Coincidence? I think not...)

I also subscribe to the theory that Jacob is trapped in the house by Ben. It would explain why Ben is upset that Locke can hear Jacob (he poses a threat) and also how Ben got to be above Richard on the totem pole (controlling others by keeping captive their leader). As for the deference and fear that Ben showed towards Jacob, could that all be a ruse?

Jarhead
05-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I liked the fact that they closed the loop on the VW van with the skeleton. Ben left his dead father in it only to be found untouched years (?) later by Hurley for his historic joyride down the hill. Who would've thunk at the time that that was Ben's father!

Deserves repeating. These guys (the producers) are good.

365Duke
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=Dukerati;20372]I agree with John that Annie is critical. My first thought after watching the show was that Ben gassed the Dharma Initiative in part due to some traumatic event with Annie. As the only person (so far) who has shown Ben any kindness, she would appear to be the most important person in his life. I can't wait for the flashback episode when we find out what happened with her! (Hmm, Ben's mom died seven months into her pregnancy, isn't that when pregnant women die on the island? Coincidence? I think not...)

I think that Julie said that no one has made it to their 3rd trimester, that some made it to the middle of their 2nd. Would the 7th month not be in the 3rd? Good theory though;)