PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ UNC Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

sagegrouse
02-07-2010, 09:21 AM
At last, the time has come! ESPN gets its way in slotting Duke-UNC #1 the week after the Super Bowl.

The questions seem obvious:

1. Which UNC will show up? The guys who have lost 5 out of 6, or the team they are capable of being?

2. Which Duke road team will show up? Surely it will be a better performance than against Georgetown.

3. How will the Duke big men fare against the equally tall Heels?

4. Will the Duke Triple S combination be able to dominate the Heels' backcourt?

sagegrouse

moonpie23
02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
At last, the time has come! ESPN gets its way in slotting Duke-UNC #1 the week after the Super Bowl.

1. Which UNC will show up? The guys who have lost 5 out of 6, or the team they are capable of being?

doesn't really matter...we've got to beat either...

2. Which Duke road team will show up? Surely it will be a better performance than against Georgetown.

UNC is NOT georgetown.....watching them drill nova yesterday makes me think they were just THAT good when we played them as well.....not that we were THAT bad...

they will have their hands full....hopefully the brothers will play smarter and better than yesterday..

sagegrouse

i DO think offensively, our triple S will give the heels problems......we need for the Triple S To give THEM problems and turn them over...

i think coach k will have them focused..... i DON'T think that the Big 3S's will take the game for granted...

I would love to see zoub's have a great game !!

ReformedAggie
02-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Sage just to add a question to your already brilliant post: At what point will Roy burst into (a) tears or (b) his redneck shuffle dadgummit dance?

GTHCGTH

BlueintheFace
02-07-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgnZs8m9Zl4

MChambers
02-07-2010, 11:38 AM

sagegrouse

For the most part, Duke hasn't shot well from three point range on the road. UNC doesn't defend the three particularly well, so Duke could have a big advantage there, if it can hit the threes.

77devil
02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Showing Duke vs. UNC all day. I had forgotten that Mike Patrick was senile even 15 years ago.

Bob Green
02-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I have several thoughts as the big game approaches:

1. Who guards Kyle Singler? I believe Ol' Roy has a problem matching up on Singler and that is good news for us. If you look at the starting line-ups, either Graves or Ginyard has to be given the assignment and I do not believe either can successfully check Singler.

Miles Plumlee - Deon Thompson
Lance Thomas - Ed Davis
Kyle Singler - Graves or Ginyard
Jon Scheyer - Ginyard or Graves
Nolan Smith - Larry Drew II

2. Did Zoubek earned a spot in the starting line-up? It wouldn't suprise me to see Zoubek start, but it really doesn't matter as all our bigs will play against the Tar Heels who are strong up front.

3. How dominant will our backcourt be? A lot has been made about Carolina's backcourt deficiencies so it is time for our beloved Blue Devils to dominate. Last year, Ty Lawson took over the games at crunch time and willed Carolina to two victories. Well Ty Lawson isn't walking through that door so Duke's guards need to shutdown the Tar Heels guards for 40 minutes.

Records and rankings and all the other peripheral crap goes out the door when Duke and Carolina tip it off so it is time to go out onto the court and win the game!

Saratoga2
02-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Surprisingly, I think our frontcourt will match up well with theirs. Our size and physicality might be just the thing that Carolina doesn't deal with well. We also have an experience and quality advantage in the backcourt. No doubt they will come to play. If we have our game shoes on, Duke will have the advantage.

I think we will outrebound them and should cause more turnovers than we make. Spells a win to me.

MChambers
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
1. Who guards Kyle Singler? I believe Ol' Roy has a problem matching up on Singler and that is good news for us. If you look at the starting line-ups, either Graves or Ginyard has to be given the assignment and I do not believe either can successfully check Singler.

Funny, before the season I thought Henson would match up with Kyle for most of the game. Doesn't seem all that likely now.

RoyalBlue08
02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I think more than usual it would be nice to jump on them early on Wednesday. I think if we get up ten or so in the first half, they might just quit (assuming they haven't quit on the season already).

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I think more than usual it would be nice to jump on them early on Wednesday. I think if we get up ten or so in the first half, they might just quit (assuming they haven't quit on the season already).
Don't underestimate what can happen in this game coming up on Wednesday night. Duke - Carolina games are unpredictable and can be very volatile.

superdave
02-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah. Jump on them early. Demoralize a demoralized team and it snowballs. A strong start would do wonders for us.

WiJoe
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Don't plan on seeing it from the start, at least not on espn. conn men @ syracuse is lead in. Remember Saturday; missed half the first half against bc

:mad:

DukieInBrasil
02-07-2010, 04:16 PM
After the Turtles destroyed the Holes like that, I can't imagine that the boys in baby blue will be able to put up an effective fight vs. the Devils....

Newton_14
02-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't plan on seeing it from the start, at least not on espn. conn men @ syracuse is lead in. Remember Saturday; missed half the first half against bc

For us locals, the game is on our WRAL CBS station shown by Raycom so that will not be an issue for us. Raycom also streams the games online so if those watching on ESPN need an alternate plan for a few minutes you can go online to Raycom.

roywhite
02-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Two things here:

1. Raycom is carrying the game also; in the Triad, it's on WFMY channel 2; I assume much of the ACC region will get the Raycom broadcast which, which is not subject to delay by a previous game.
2. Duke/UNC is a huge ratings winner for ESPN, one of their big events of the whole year; I'll guess they'll have some arrangement for spillover coverage should the 7:00 game run long.

airowe
02-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Trap game on Wednesday. Hopefully we can get up for it..

dukelifer
02-07-2010, 04:42 PM
After the Turtles destroyed the Holes like that, I can't imagine that the boys in baby blue will be able to put up an effective fight vs. the Devils....
You folks are living in a dream world. UNC will play that game like it was their last. This will be the most intense game of the year. Players on good programs don;'t hang their heads after being embarrassed. They come out fighting. UNC will be more dangerous after this big loss than if they had lost a squeaker at the end. Trust me.

Dukeface88
02-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Players on good programs don;'t hang their heads after being embarrassed. They come out fighting.

I agree. I'm not sure how that's relevant to UNC though :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-07-2010, 04:53 PM
You folks are living in a dream world. UNC will play that game like it was their last. This will be the most intense game of the year. Players on good programs don;'t hang their heads after being embarrassed. They come out fighting. UNC will be more dangerous after this big loss than if they had lost a squeaker at the end. Trust me.

I concur. What you've stated is a bit of wisdom based in years of experience with this rivalry.

Tappan Zee Devil
02-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey Dukelifer - you're Rick Katherman (at least until you post again)

I overlapped with Katherman - great long distance shooter and one of the really good 60s-70s players who don't get enough love anymore

jim t-70

too slow the KAtherman reference is gone - although he is certainly worth remembering

jgehtland
02-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Watching the 2000 game at UNC on ESPN Classic this afternoon, unbelievable the similarities (though a couple of very key differences):

* UNC was ranked Top 5 in November
* Duke had a couple of big losses early
* UNC was 13-9 going into the game and unranked
* Duke had climbed back into the Top 10
* UNC had an enormous frontcourt with Haywood and Lang
* Duke was running a thin bench (much thinner than now, actually)
* Duke relied on its Big 3 (Battier, Carrawell, James)
* UNC played everybody they could get into the game

The big differences? Our freshmen class included Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer and Mike Dunleavy, and UNC had an really experienced point guard in Ed Cota who didn't make a lot of mistakes down the stretch. UNC has a much deeper rotation this year than 2000.

So, if you are looking at the differences and what they mean for this game, you have to like the lack of an Ed Cota for our chances, but man, we don't have a Mike Dunleavy coming off the bench.

DukieInBrasil
02-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Dukelifer:
I agree with you that the game will be intense and UNC will be much more amped for this game than all the rest. What I am saying is that, by being allowed to be blown out in College Park by 21, I am not sure that even with all the heart and intensity that they can muster that it will be enough to earn a victory against us. We will also bring intensity and passion and talent, of which we have shown much better development/use of so far this year.
They've got talent, sure, but Drew didn't score and had a 5/4 a/to vs the Terps from the PG spot. And despite Ginyard having a pretty solid game the rest of their guards are just not as good as our 3 or 4 guards (depends on whether KS is a G or F).

RockLobster
02-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I had a feeling the Chapel Hill/MD game would end this way. Maryland is a quick team that could shred Chapel Hill's defense.

The game Wednesday will be closer, but I think our Big Three will be too much for Chapel Hill's defense. Combine that with their complete inability to hold on to the ball, and Duke's stout defense, and I think we win as long as we execute well. 85-76.

Chapel Hill obviously plays a lot of freshmen who are not only demoralized but will be nervous going into Wednesday's rivalry game. Not only is it their Super Bowl, but I feel like a) a lot of their players, being greenhorns, won't fully appreciate the depth of this rivalry and b) won't know exactly how to handle the pressure.

That said, they'll throw everything they have at us. Chapel Hill may be struggling, but we need to bring nothing less than our A-game. If Duke is capable of losing to NCSU the way we did, we can certainly lose to Chapel Hill on the road. Letting BC crawl back into the game (which, by the way, was on the road) yesterday was not a good sign, either.

Still, I think this year's talent/skill/execution gap is just too wide in our favor. Duke wins.

By the way, I love this thread...gotta love those oh-so-enlightened Heels fans:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=5589180

77devil
02-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Watching the 2000 game at UNC on ESPN Classic this afternoon, unbelievable the similarities (though a couple of very key differences):

The big differences? Our freshmen class included Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer and Mike Dunleavy, and UNC had an really experienced point guard in Ed Cota who didn't make a lot of mistakes down the stretch. UNC has a much deeper rotation this year than 2000.

So, if you are looking at the differences and what they mean for this game, you have to like the lack of an Ed Cota for our chances, but man, we don't have a Mike Dunleavy coming off the bench.

Pretty amazing how much more developed as freshman that trio was than recent frosh.

There is one sequence in the second half where Duke passes the ball in the half court set 6 times without the ball touching the floor resulting in a Boozer lay up. Coach K should break out the film.

superdave
02-07-2010, 08:17 PM
On the bus from RDU back to CH right now...
So they get home relatively normally.
Practice tomorrow, Tues, walk-through Wed?

superdave
02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
On the bus from RDU back to CH right now...
So they get home relatively normally.
Practice tomorrow, Tues, walk-through Wed?

After a loss like today....I'd call it a buzz-saw....they need a big change of pace or a come-to-Jesus. Or an epiphany. Or, well, I'd rather not say it but the hand of god. Not God but god.

Alright no more religious references...but unc sucks and they dont seem to have a clue of how to get out of said slump. And stuff.

superdave
02-07-2010, 08:25 PM
In other words, I hate unc.

NO just lost it on that 4th down. Ouch. Sad.

BD80
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM

The game is scheduled on ESPN360, so you can watch the beginning of the game on your computer.

There is very little fight or grit in the heels this year. If we take control early, we'll take the crowd out and the players will start hanging their heads.

The heels don't have a guy that HATES to lose. Now they are getting used to it.

gofurman
02-07-2010, 10:17 PM

yep - this thing scares the heck outta me.

gofurman
02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
yep - this thing scares the heck outta me.

so did unc get outta town and back to chapel hill tonight or not? are they snowboun?

RainingThrees
02-07-2010, 10:50 PM
This is my analysis of the upcoming game. GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL!!!!!

WiJoe
02-07-2010, 10:56 PM

Totally agree. This could be a season turner. For more than one team.

superdave
02-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Oh...I dont want to be on the hook for anything.
After this Saints thing.
Wow.
We need to be firin on all guns. On all guns,
Can Sean Payton coach zone on the us olympic team for 2012.?

-bdbd
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Try to turn it around: How did Duke play in its next game after being embarrassed by G'town? This game is Kerlina's chance to redeem themselves for a nightmarish season. The players will be focused and intense. And the crowd might even STAND UP (!) and occasionally make some noise... It would be such a big advantage if we could spurt ahead early and get them discouraged, take the crowd out of it some. (Nothing's more fun than to see all the big donor's courtside leaving early!!)

But I think Duke matches up particularly well for this one. Their grave weakness - the backcourt - is exactly our strength. I think our bigs just to hold their own (or close to it), and the three S's should have a great day (especially Singler, but really could be all three).

I can't wait until Wed. night!!! After the last couple years, I kinda think we owe them something. Anybody else tired of all the trash-talking from the faded blue "faithful?!?"

:mad::rolleyes::eek::D

weezie
02-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Just please, no refs screwing everything up with brush fouls. Wouldn't it be refreshing to get through the first ten minutes without three fouls on each of our bigs? :confused:

Dukeface88
02-08-2010, 12:43 AM
In all seriousness, our team controls the outcome of the game, not their's. If Duke plays to its potential, the good guys win no matter how well or poorly the girly blue team plays. That's what the team I hope the team is focusing on; execute well, and the only thing the holes can change is the margin of our victory.

Kewlswim
02-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi,

Duke played the Georgia Tech and Boston College games within 48 hours of one another. I don't believe BC had that same turnaround. The missed free throws and other signs of fatigue were skewed toward the Devils. I don't think we are giving the Devils enough credit for hanging in there and bringing home a W.

I am not going to Woof. I am just going to say I am quietly confident. Anything can happen in rivalry games. Heck, Duke could come out flat against UNC and UNC could come out with all guns firing. I'm scared whenever we play UNC because I hate losing to them so much. Can we lose to them? Of course. Except for State, and again I don't think this is really woofing, the teams we have lost to on the road were pretty darn good basketball teams. Wisco, Georgetown, and Georgia Tech appear to be tournament ready teams. I am not convinced the teams and the manner UNC is losing (as a whole) are indicative of the same thing.

I think we fear, on some level, that Coach Williams is better able to get his teams ready to play us than visa-versa. Of that I am not 100% convinced. I think the national media would like that to be the case. I think Ole Roy has been lucky to have, in general, better players. Reading what Coach Williams has said about his team, the fans, etc. I know I would find it hard to play for him. I really disliked Coach (Dean) Smith because he was a Heel. However, he didn't seem to be a bad guy to his players and overall seemed to treat them really well and be a positive role model, etc. I can't put my finger on it, but Coach Williams seems more in the vein of Coach Doh, so when things aren't going well I think kids might be more apt to stop responding to him. Nevertheless, they might respond just fine on Wednesday. I'll be scared until Duke finally knocks of these guys--hopefully on Wednesday.

GO DUKE!

oldnavy
02-08-2010, 07:05 AM
After 40 years of observing this matchup I have come to believe that the most important thing is which teams plays with the most heart and desire. Talent matters, but there have been many games in this rivalry where the less talented team won.

We have got to want it more! GO DUKE! GTHC!!

slower
02-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Dukelifer:
I agree with you that the game will be intense and UNC will be much more amped for this game than all the rest. What I am saying is that, by being allowed to be blown out in College Park by 21, I am not sure that even with all the heart and intensity that they can muster that it will be enough to earn a victory against us. We will also bring intensity and passion and talent, of which we have shown much better development/use of so far this year.
They've got talent, sure, but Drew didn't score and had a 5/4 a/to vs the Terps from the PG spot. And despite Ginyard having a pretty solid game the rest of their guards are just not as good as our 3 or 4 guards (depends on whether KS is a G or F).

What some of us here are saying is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to know what will happen in the game. Anything could happen - anything. Yeah, if this happens or if that happens - if, if, if - but nobody can reliably predict. Is Zeller coming back for this game? What if the "lottery pick" versions of Davis and Henson show up, etc, etc?

So as I said earlier, remain CAUTIOUSLY optimistic and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Save the woofing for AFTER the game.

devildeac
02-08-2010, 08:03 AM
My wife, the eternal optimist, is worried, very worried about this game and does not like at all what she saw in her crystal ball last evening. Mine is rather cloudy at this time but I am certain, absolutely certain that Zoubek will pick up two quick fouls on the bus ride over that afternoon. I also thought I saw Thomas get a couple cheap ones shortly after getting off the bus.:mad:

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
My wife, the eternal optimist, is worried, very worried about this game and does not like at all what she saw in her crystal ball last evening. Mine is rather cloudy at this time but I am certain, absolutely certain that Zoubek will pick up two quick fouls on the bus ride over that afternoon. I also thought I saw Thomas get a couple cheap ones shortly after getting off the bus.:mad:

If you're counting both home and away, I've seen a total of 78 of these match-ups. Devil Deac is right. ANYthing can happen. Might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride. These things are like the ironing....no matter that you just finished a load....you'll be doing it all over again next week
Love, Ima

slower
02-08-2010, 08:25 AM

The "zebra factor" is always an important variable. Anybody know who's working the game?

DevilHorns
02-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Best subplot:

The Brothers vs The Twins

MChambers
02-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Maybe Zoubek and Thomas got the fouls because some Carolina players had been thrown under the bus by Ol' Roy.

moonpie23
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
The "zebra factor" is always an important variable. Anybody know who's working the game?

PLEASE let karl hess be in vegas collecting his money and not doing this game...

slower
02-08-2010, 08:57 AM
According to one blog, ESPN will have Shulman, Vitale and Erin Andrews.

No word on the Raycom team.

devildeac
02-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Maybe Zoubek and Thomas got the fouls because some Carolina players had been thrown under the bus by Ol' Roy.

That makes sense. Then we pick up the blocking calls.:rolleyes:

davekay1971
02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Attempting to break it down by matchups (hoo boy, always tough in this rivalry)...

Despite Kerlina's struggles, they have the interior advantage, particularly in the Nose Dome. We all know that, playing in Chapel Hell, the Plumlees, Zoubs, and Thomas will pick up 10 fouls during the pre-game warmups. That puts Kerlina in the double bonus to start the game. Davis and Henson both have enough athleticism to cause our 5 problems. Thomas will be our best defender on the interior, but both Zoubs and Miles will have trouble containing Davis...IF Kerlina can get the ball into him. On the offensive end, our guys are physically much stronger than theirs. I would love to seen Miles and Zoubs (and even Mason, who's got much more size than Henson and the Wheres) realize that and use it to their advantage on the low post. I'm not holding my breath, but if they did that, even just enough to force Kerlina's interior defenders to drop back in to help, it would open up everything and could turn this game into a rout.

Our perimeter is so far ahead of theirs it isn't even funny. They're going to need lights out games from Drew The Second, Strickland, Ginyard, and Graves and for our big 3 to struggle shooting to be in the game. That being said, we have struggled shooting on the road, and you can just rest assured those four Tarholes are going to play better on Wednesday night than they have all year.

All that, of course, goes out the window in a Duke-Kerlina game. I have confidence we beat them at Cameron. In Chapel Hell...I gotta admit I'm worried.

devildeac
02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
According to one blog, ESPN will have Shulman, Vitale and Erin Andrews.

No word on the Raycom team.

One outta three ain't bad;).

But I hope we shoot better than that.

devildeac
02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Attempting to break it down by matchups (hoo boy, always tough in this rivalry)...

Despite Kerlina's struggles, they have the interior advantage, particularly in the Nose Dome. We all know that, playing in Chapel Hell, the Plumlees, Zoubs, and Thomas will pick up 10 fouls during the pre-game warmups. That puts Kerlina in the double bonus to start the game. Davis and Henson both have enough athleticism to cause our 5 problems. Thomas will be our best defender on the interior, but both Zoubs and Miles will have trouble containing Davis...IF Kerlina can get the ball into him. On the offensive end, our guys are physically much stronger than theirs. I would love to seen Miles and Zoubs (and even Mason, who's got much more size than Henson and the Wheres) realize that and use it to their advantage on the low post. I'm not holding my breath, but if they did that, even just enough to force Kerlina's interior defenders to drop back in to help, it would open up everything and could turn this game into a rout.

Our perimeter is so far ahead of theirs it isn't even funny. They're going to need lights out games from Drew The Second, Strickland, Ginyard, and Graves and for our big 3 to struggle shooting to be in the game. That being said, we have struggled shooting on the road, and you can just rest assured those four Tarholes are going to play better on Wednesday night than they have all year.

All that, of course, goes out the window in a Duke-Kerlina game. I have confidence we beat them at Cameron. In Chapel Hell...I gotta admit I'm worried.

Why is everyone so worried about our big guys picking up pre-game fouls?

Oh, wait a minute.

Never mind.

Steve68
02-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Disclaimer - I know anything can happen in a Duke/carolina game. However, I don't understand the logic that some people have that carolina is a more dangerous team because they have been losing. Would you be less worried if they had actually lived up to their pre-season hype? I think our fans are really worried that we would be embarrassed by losing to an inferior carolina team. Maybe carolina should be worried that our seniors (who actually have been playing up to, and sometimes beyond, expectations) are sick and tired of losing to them. Just a thought.

dukelifer
02-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Disclaimer - I know anything can happen in a Duke/carolina game. However, I don't understand the logic that some people have that carolina is a more dangerous team because they have been losing. Would you be less worried if they had actually lived up to their pre-season hype? I think our fans are really worried that we would be embarrassed by losing to an inferior carolina team. Maybe carolina should be worried that our seniors (who actually have been playing up to, and sometimes beyond, expectations) are sick and tired of losing to them. Just a thought.

This is exactly right. UNC should be worried about Duke and Duke should be worried about UNC. Even though UNC is struggling- they have a roster of excellent players- who on any night can have a great day. Ginyard, Graves, Thompson, Strickland, Drew and Davis have all had big games this year in league play where they scored 17+ points. That is proof enough that this team is mighty dangerous.

trinity92
02-08-2010, 10:26 AM

I had exactly the same feeling watching that game yesterday-- the resemblance is uncanny. I hope our boys were watching that game on Sunday. We need to play every single minute of Wednesday's game as if our season depends on it, or we're ripe for an upset. I wouldn't like that at all. You wouldn't like that at all. The universe would become unbalanced and in danger of implosion. We must demoralize the 'holes at home. There can be no other way.

roywhite
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
PG play is always important in these games; look what a difference Ty Lawson made last year.

Drew 2 is coming off quite a performance vs Maryland:
26 minutes and did not score
0-6 FG
0-2 FT
5 assists
4 turnovers

Defense wasn't much either
Greivis had 26 points and 11 assists
Eric Hayes 16 points and 5 assists

On the perimeter, major advantage to Duke.

-jk
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I think it's a given that while UNC is not as talented this year, they are playing below their current talent level. Their greater problem has been playing together with focus and passion.

Unfortunately, an opportunity for focus and passion is exactly what Duke gives them as no other team can.

Whether they take advantage of their opportunity or not will decide the course of the game. I really hope we come out on fire and knock them back so hard they never find their composure. I'm afraid it won't happen, though.

-jk

BlueintheFace
02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Defensive Intensity= Duke win

To me, it really is that simple with this team... especially against Carolina

airowe
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Defensive Intensity= Duke win

To me, it really is that simple with this team... especially against Carolina

I'll take that a step further and say perimeter defensive intensity = Duke win. I really can't see them beating us unless two or more of their guys get hot from the outside. If we can contain two of Drew Too, Gintard, and Gravys, I think we win.

GTHC, GTH!

OldPhiKap
02-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Quick aside -- I was reading a lot of speculation as to whether the weather would impact Carolina's ability to get out of DC. Are they holed up in DC or have they made it home to practice? (No quasi-pun intended)

shoutingncu
02-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I'd say may the best team win, but I'd prefer it to be Carolina.

roywhite
02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I'd say may the best team win, but I'd prefer it to be Carolina.

There is that chance.

My take is, for Carolina to win:
They have to play one of their best games (say in the top 10% of their games this season)
Duke has to play one of its worst games (say in the bottom 10% of their games this season).

Is that possible? Yes, it happened already in Duke vs NC State.

But not likely.

whereinthehellami
02-08-2010, 03:13 PM
The Heels are a tough bunch to figure out. Every time I see them I keep thinking that they are going to turn things. They got the pieces and the coaches. Over on IC they are throwing everyone under the bus, Roy included. I get the feeling that Roy doesn't know how to deal with the "leaders" on the team. Or that the "leaders" on the team are really just the guys that whine the loudest. But you would still think that he could get them to play together. You know K would have figured it out by now.

Roy has more talented players coming in next year but how will the elite blue chips deal with the cancerous old ones? Where is the leader coming from? Maybe Roy should attend one of Coach K's leadership round tables?

devilboomer
02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Roy has more talented players coming in next year but how will the elite blue chips deal with the cancerous old ones? Where is the leader coming from? Maybe Roy should attend one of Coach K's leadership round tables?

I think actually the conflict (this year) is between the "blue chip" recruits and the older veterans, so next year w/ the graduation of Ginyard and Thompson, and hopefully the departure of Ed Davis, most of the current chemistry problems will be gone.

airowe
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I think actually the conflict (this year) is between the "blue chip" recruits and the older veterans, so next year w/ the graduation of Ginyard and Thompson, and hopefully the departure of Ed Davis, most of the current chemistry problems will be gone.

The chemistry problems ay fizzle out a little but that is a lot of talent to lose, especially Deon and Ed.

I'm hoping for a UCLA-like collapse.

BD80
02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
... We need to play every single minute of Wednesday's game as if our season depends on it, or we're ripe for an upset. ...

Maybe that is the level of intensity Coach K requires to get into games. If you don't display that intensity or commitment you get yanked (or never get in). Intensity isn't something to be turned on and off. It is to be coached and practiced.

DukieInBrasil
02-08-2010, 04:43 PM
If Duke and UNC each force each other into playing their average games, Duke will win. Is that likely with all the emotional twists involved in the rivalry? Probably not.
If Duke plays its average game and forces UNC into a below-average game, Duke wins. If we play average and UNC plays up to slightly-above-average, we still win. UNC wins only if they a) play substantially-better-than-average while holding Duke to an average performance or b) forcing us to play a below-average game while simultaneously playing at or above their average.
I tend to believe that the leadership we've seen from Knolon Shmingler this year is far superior to the leadership taking place over there in Chapel Hill, and that leadership is what determines how the energy of the players is focused. That being said, our leadership will hopefully channel that energy into a productive force wielded to utterly destroy UNC and make Ol' Roy cry during the game or maybe even resign mid-game. One can hope....

Troublemaker
02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I came into the season expecting a split with UNC and I still do. I think on Wednesday, Duke is in an uncomfortable position of being expected to win on the road against the rival that has owned us recently. It's easier for me to envision Duke playing a jittery game in this situation than a confident game. And I expect UNC to play loose, focused, passionate basketball and the crowd to be a major factor. I would love to be wrong. I expect one more loss to UNC before the streak gets broken in Cameron.

shoutingncu
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I came into the season expecting a split with UNC and I still do. I think on Wednesday, Duke is in an uncomfortable position of being expected to win on the road against the rival that has owned us recently. It's easier for me to envision Duke playing a jittery game in this situation than a confident game. And I expect UNC to play loose, focused, passionate basketball and the crowd to be a major factor. I would love to be wrong. I expect one more loss to UNC before the streak gets broken in Cameron.

I felt pretty similarly coming into the season, only I've said that I thought the split would come on the road.

I knew Carolina would experience some growing pains, and figured that they might not put it all together until the end of the season (meaning that they could easily drop this one, but play far better the second time around). Essentially, like many in the light blue, I made the mistake of hoping this team played with the heart of 2006 and the talent of 2007.

And then I saw them play... and while it's certainly possible that they may beat Duke in either of the games, it sure won't be because they're better. The 2006 game in Chapel Hill was one in which I asked if both teams could go up in the rankings after seeing them play. Carolina showed more in that loss than this year's team has all season, and they (2006) made good on that improvement with a late season push. Flamed out in the post season, but what a great year it was, none-the-less.

I've seen no such evidence of that kind of fire for this year's squad. Four of Carolina's starting five are role players, as is most of the bench. The one thing the Heels have going for them, then (aside from having nothing more to lose), is that role players have stepped up over the last few years... Danny and Marcus in '06, Deon and Bobby last year.

All I know is that it would be a shame for Scheyer to have a worse record in Chapel Hill than Paulus. ;)

RockLobster
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Three possibilities:

1. Intense rivalry game, in which Duke comes out on top at the better team by 10 points or so.

2. CH doesn't bother showing up yet again, Duke wins by 25 or so and runs them out of their own gym.

3. Duke crumbles under the pressure of playing in CH, lays another egg on the road, and CH wins by about 10.

I think option #1 has about an 80 percent chance of happening.

Another interesting fact: the higher-ranked team has won the past 6 contests in this series. The last upset was the 2006 CH win in Cameron.

Duke of Nashville
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM

I started back in November of talking about how bad DUKE is going to spank Kerolina. Told every Tarhole fan I met that we were going to win by double digits, in both meetings. There is no reason why Carolina should be able to hang with us on Wednesday...ya ya...throw records out and all that. UNC has lost 6 of there last 7 games and has been in a downword spiral for a month. K said it himself, we don't need Carolina or Maryland to get up to play. Jitters should have no play when trying to destroy a 13-10 (2 W out of last 9), bottom of the ACC team.

sagegrouse
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I started back in November of talking about how bad DUKE is going to spank Kerolina. Told every Tarhole fan I met that we were going to win by double digits, in both meetings. There is no reason why Carolina should be able to hang with us on Wednesday...ya ya...throw records out and all that. UNC has lost 6 of there last 7 games and has been in a downword spiral for a month. K said it himself, we don't need Carolina or Maryland to get up to play. Jitters should have no play when trying to destroy a 13-10 (2 W out of last 9), bottom of the ACC team.

The weauf gods are listening.

sagegrouse

shoutingncu
02-08-2010, 06:32 PM

The only thing I disagree with in this post is that you started in November. I kept my optimism until at least the beginning of January.

GoingFor#5
02-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Obviously we should win and win handily, but since its the rivalry game, I'm going to say anything can happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAZvnJ_sngI&feature=PlayList&p=61EA8E13EB4BBD4B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8

Newton_14
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
All I know is that it would be a shame for Scheyer to have a worse record in Chapel Hill than Paulus. ;)

You are aware that the dark shade of blue has won 7 of the last 11 in the dome, right? And Paulus went 2 and 2, right?;) Not bad by any means...

Jon is currently 1 and 2 and can get it to even Wed night..

So yeah, should we lose, Paulus ends up with a better record. And if we win in Cameron next month Jon goes 1 up on Paulus at home in the series....

Newton_14
02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
If Duke and UNC each force each other into playing their average games, Duke will win. Is that likely with all the emotional twists involved in the rivalry? Probably not.
If Duke plays its average game and forces UNC into a below-average game, Duke wins. If we play average and UNC plays up to slightly-above-average, we still win. UNC wins only if they a) play substantially-better-than-average while holding Duke to an average performance or b) forcing us to play a below-average game while simultaneously playing at or above their average.
I tend to believe that the leadership we've seen from Knolon Shmingler this year is far superior to the leadership taking place over there in Chapel Hill, and that leadership is what determines how the energy of the players is focused. That being said, our leadership will hopefully channel that energy into a productive force wielded to utterly destroy UNC and make Ol' Roy cry during the game or maybe even resign mid-game. One can hope....

I am nervous as I normally am this week each year. Would really stink to lose to them as bad as they have played this year.

In the last 7 or 8 years, with an exception or 2 mixed in, the two teams have come in so hyped up and so intense that it ends up being a mistake filled game. Should that happen Wednesday, I think I like our chances? In a game like that I would expect our veterans, not just the Big 3, but our 5 veterans to step up and make something good happen, and more important, prevent the worse from happening.

I make no bold predictions as 35 years of watching this rivalry has taught me anything and everything can happen in this game. So I wait and see how our guys respond come game time.

I will make one small prediction. I smell something in the air... funny fragrance... odd... but something in my gut tells me there will be an Andre Dawkins sighting in this game, and the home crowd will not like what they see... let's just hope that if I am right, ol huck is not allowed to have Andre removed from the building before the game is over, just because he set a few nets on fire with Deon under them....

jv001
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
My thinking is if we come out hot and put them down 10+ pts early they will lose heart. But if they come out hot and stay close in the first half, we will have a battle on our hands. If their fans get loud and supportative the heels begin to feel good about themselves. I hope we kill their confidence right from the tip. I look for a close game, but we will have to play poorly for unc to win this one. So I think we win by 12 points. Go Duke!

slower
02-08-2010, 10:33 PM
The weauf gods are listening.

sagegrouse

I see people continuing to predict a double-digit victory. I hope they're right.

Those who do not learn from history...yada yada yada.

Troublemaker
02-08-2010, 11:16 PM
The one thing I hope for our players (besides a win, of course) is that they come out, have fun, play loose. There's a lot of pressure on them to win this game, but I hope they can put it out of their heads and just go play basketball. Don't let the moment become too big. How successfully we can ignore the distractions, the crowd and their palpable hatred, the trash talk from Ginyard which should be forthcoming, the pressure to beat this rival from the media, the fans, and from within the players themselves, will determine the game. Rivalry games are about psychology more than the actual matchups. And I hardly ever believe that because I'm a big believer in matchups and analyzing them. It's just, in these games, I don't think they even matter. Control your emotions, Dukies. Play fearlessly.

Dukeface88
02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
I

I smell something in the air... funny fragrance... odd...

I smell something too

Vengeance.

Smells a lot like burning pine. True story.

Seriously, I don't understand why people are afraid of this UNC team. There's nothing about it that scares me. Not their players, not their coach, and not their stadium. Telling me I should be afraid of a UNC team that's about to collapse is like telling me I should be afraid of the Fourth of July. I mean, it could go horribly wrong and explode in my face...but that isn't going to stop me from looking forward the fireworks.

Troublemaker
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I smell something too

Vengeance.

Smells a lot like burning pine. True story.

Seriously, I don't understand why people are afraid of this UNC team. There's nothing about it that scares me. Not their players, not their coach, and not their stadium. Telling me I should be afraid of a UNC team that's about to collapse is like telling me I should be afraid of the Fourth of July. I mean, it could go horribly wrong and explode in my face...but that isn't going to stop me from looking forward the fireworks.

We are going to get them at their best. The effort that they played with in beating Michigan St, playing Kentucky close, playing a respectable game against Texas, and blowing out NCSU on the road, that's the effort they will bring on Wednesday. The NCSU game was recent. We know they can get up for rivalry games.

So I expect UNC to be at peak or near peak condition. The key is if Duke can play loose and confident and bring the business ourselves. Then, we'll have a great game on our hands that will have me chewing on my nails for two hours straight. But if our guys feel the pressure and allow it to get to them, the outcome will be ugly. Play loose. Have fun. Please.

moonpie23
02-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Telling me I should be afraid of a UNC team that's about to collapse is like telling me I should be afraid of the Fourth of July. I mean, it could go horribly wrong and explode in my face...but that isn't going to stop me from looking forward the fireworks.

it might if the fireworks had actually already exploded in your face.....several times..

i'm not saying be afraid of them, i'm saying let's don't just keep starting the conversation off with "hey y'all, watch this !"

airowe
02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I will make one small prediction. I smell something in the air... funny fragrance... odd...

Is this what you smell?

http://carolinasucks.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_cologne.jpg

RockLobster
02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
I wrote a preview of this game for Bleacher Report, which you can find here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/342452-five-things-to-watch-for-duke-vs-north-carolina

watzone
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/02/jon-scheyer-talks-about-the-duke-unc-game/ Here is Jon Scheyer from yesterday's media event. Smith interview is up as well and more to come. Go Duke!

DevilHorns
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Everyone who is excited about the Duke-UNC game please go to the Lowe's Senior Class Award thread and vote for Jon Scheyer (He is currently losing to some Purdue player 29% to 20%!!!! This is unacceptable!

Neals384
02-09-2010, 10:00 AM
UNC is 1-6 since Zeller went out. I think I heard it was 4-6 weeks, so he won't be back this week, is that right?:confused:

-jk
02-09-2010, 10:20 AM
UNC is 1-6 since Zeller went out. I think I heard it was 4-6 weeks, so he won't be back this week, is that right?:confused:

If that's the standard, then odds are he'll start and have a career night.

-jk

jjasper0729
02-09-2010, 10:46 AM

reports were he was supposed to have an MRI on monday (2/8) but I haven't heard how that came out and if he was cleared to practice/play

roywhite
02-09-2010, 10:52 AM
reports were he was supposed to have an MRI on monday (2/8) but I haven't heard how that came out and if he was cleared to practice/play

I don't root for players to miss time due to injuries, even UNC players.

Zeller IMO has been one of their bright spots this year; he's a good player who seems to go about his business (whatever chemistry problems the team has likely don't involve him). His return at some point will help the UNC team.

Other than looking like a young Dean Smith, Zeller seems like a good guy. :)

Wheat/"/"/"
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
My Keys to the game....(The UNC perspective).

Zebras...Tightly called favors the Heels...Banging, bodying, favors Duke.
(Note: If it's going to be tightly called game, Duke will be whistled for a moving screen in the first 4 minutes).

Turnovers...more than 10-12 TO's and UNC loses, maybe big.

Dribble penetration...UNC must have it, and they must deny it for Duke.

Outside Shooting...If it's a hot 3pt night for Duke (38%+), trouble for UNC.

I'd start Drew, Ginyard, Henson, Davis, Deon. (Shake things up. Does Henson have some heart, some edge? Lets find out).

Henson on Singler. Ginyard on Smith, Drew on Scheyer. I'd look to play a soft man D and concentrate staying in front on the dribble. Deny the dribble drive first priority, and force the long shot over the height and length. UNC will get killed from a smart/experienced Duke team on the drive and dish if they allow it. Do not help out on the drives, stay with your match up, make Duke finish over Davis and Deon.

Key players....Roy is stubborn to a fault, and I think he will still try to push the ball down Dukes throat. He thinks UNC has a quickness advantage in transition (I agree). If I'm right, the key UNC player will be Strickland. If he can control the ball and push it without the TO's, he will get to the rack on Duke. Duke has no-one with his speed, but of course that's no advantage if he turns it over. Drew could also make a statement with the open floor push, he needs to be aggressive too.

The key player to defend is Smith. UNC will struggle to deny him getting in the lane and his mid range game is good. UNC will lose if Smith has a big game.

UNC will, as always, look to get it into Deon and Davis in the 1/2 court. There is an advantage there for UNC. But they can't just pass it around on the wing without at least the threat of a dribble drive. It allows the D to gamble more and leads to TO's. Sombody has to be willing to go to the rack and let Deon and Davis crash the board. Drew can do it, Ginyard can do it on Duke, as can Strickland. They need to go to the rack from the 1/2 court, at least get the ball on the rim so that Davis especially can get the boards and put backs. UNC has proved the outside shooting is suspect...take it to the rack. A silver lining could be foul trouble for Duke this way.

Duke has played better as a team, and is the favorite. But UNC can cause them some match up trouble, and can win this game.

The biggest key for UNC will be intensity? Will UNC finally play with some fire and passion? I'm not convinced that this team will, even in this game.

Show me time.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't root for players to miss time due to injuries, even UNC players.

Zeller IMO has been one of their bright spots this year; he's a good player who seems to go about his business (whatever chemistry problems the team has likely don't involve him). His return at some point will help the UNC team.

Other than looking like a young Dean Smith, Zeller seems like a good guy. :)

I read somewhere he had food poisioning last week and didn't travel to the MD game.

I'd say he is unlikely to play.

jipops
02-09-2010, 11:18 AM

(Note: If it's going to be tightly called game, Duke will be whistled for a moving screen in the first 4 minutes).

I'd start Drew, Ginyard, Henson, Davis, Deon. (Shake things up. Does Henson have some heart, some edge? Lets find out).

Henson on Singler. Ginyard on Smith, Drew on Scheyer. I'd look to play a soft man D and concentrate staying in front on the dribble. Deny the dribble drive first priority, and force the long shot over the height and length. UNC will get killed from a smart/experienced Duke team on the drive and dish if they allow it. Do not help out on the drives, stay with your match up, make Duke finish over Davis and Deon.

Key players....Roy is stubborn to a fault, and I think he will still try to push the ball down Dukes throat. He thinks UNC has a quickness advantage in transition (I agree). If I'm right, the key UNC player will be Strickland. If he can control the ball and push it without the TO's, he will get to the rack on Duke. Duke has no-one with his speed, but of course that's no advantage if he turns it over. Drew could also make a statement with the open floor push, he needs to be aggressive too.

The key player to defend is Smith. UNC will struggle to deny him getting in the lane and his mid range game is good. UNC will lose if Smith has a big game.

UNC will, as always, look to get it into Deon and Davis in the 1/2 court. There is an advantage there for UNC. But they can't just pass it around on the wing without at least the threat of a dribble drive. It allows the D to gamble more and leads to TO's. Sombody has to be willing to go to the rack and let Deon and Davis crash the board. Drew can do it, Ginyard can do it on Duke, as can Strickland. They need to go to the rack from the 1/2 court, at least get the ball on the rim so that Davis especially can get the boards and put backs. UNC has proved the outside shooting is suspect...take it to the rack. A silver lining could be foul trouble for Duke this way.

Duke has played better as a team, and is the favorite. But UNC can cause them some match up trouble, and can win this game.

The biggest key for UNC will be intensity? Will UNC finally play with some fire and passion? I'm not convinced that this team will, even in this game.

Show me time.

I agree UNC presents match up issues for Duke. There are so many keys to the game for each team. With all of UNC's struggles I feel like they're at an advantage in this one match up wise with quickness and frontcourt production. Whose defense will be most effective is the big question. Can Duke defend UNC's frontcourt? Will Lance and Zoubek be able to stay out of foul trouble long enough to be effective defenders in the post? Can UNC take care of the ball? Can Duke shut off the UNC drive?

This one is a toss up to me. Despite the records I don't feel like there is much separation in overall talent put on the floor. UNC may even have the ability to deploy more than Duke.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I agree UNC presents match up issues for Duke. There are so many keys to the game for each team. With all of UNC's struggles I feel like they're at an advantage in this one match up wise with quickness and frontcourt production. Whose defense will be most effective is the big question. Can Duke defend UNC's frontcourt? Will Lance and Zoubek be able to stay out of foul trouble long enough to be effective defenders in the post? Can UNC take care of the ball? Can Duke shut off the UNC drive?

This one is a toss up to me. Despite the records I don't feel like there is much separation in overall talent put on the floor. UNC may even have the ability to deploy more than Duke.

Individual match ups, strength and weaknesses are what's always hard to figure in a college game.

Duke's toughness, excellent teamwork and experience represents a high hill to climb for this UNC team, however.

jv001
02-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Show me time.

Your starting lineup would probably be the best defensive unit for unc. However not so good on offense. You make a case for strickland but he's not in your starting lineup. I know that doesn't mean he plays less mins than henson. But you can't have it both ways. henson will not beat Duke. I think that for unc to win, strickland must have a big game. Of the perimeter guys, he seems to be the best you have. I do worry about the zebras, because if they want to be the stars and not the players, then that favors the ugly blue. I look for a close game and I expect Duke to pull away in the last 4 minutes. Go Duke!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Your starting lineup would probably be the best defensive unit for unc. However not so good on offense. You make a case for strickland but he's not in your starting lineup. I know that doesn't mean he plays less mins than henson. But you can't have it both ways. henson will not beat Duke. I think that for unc to win, strickland must have a big game. Of the perimeter guys, he seems to be the best you have. I do worry about the zebras, because if they want to be the stars and not the players, then that favors the ugly blue. I look for a close game and I expect Duke to pull away in the last 4 minutes. Go Duke!

I wouldn't start Strickland, but he will get every chance to prove himself and early in the game. If he makes plays, he will stay on the floor and be a key player in the game. No rule says a player has to start to be a key to a game.

I wouldn't be so sure that Henson wouldn't be a key player in a UNC win.
If UNC can make this a transition game, he could be a big time problem for Duke.

UrinalCake
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
If Zeller is in fact cleared to play, it'd be a pretty nice tactical move by Roy to not announce it. Having him in the game even for limited time would give Duke even more to worry about inside, and would provide a nice boost from the crowd. I can't wait for the game!

airowe
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM
As if you didn't need another reason to hope we beat the tar out of the Holes:

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/category/sports/harrison-barnes-sports/

jv001
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't start Strickland, but he will get every chance to prove himself and early in the game. If he makes plays, he will stay on the floor and be a key player in the game. No rule says a player has to start to be a key to a game.

I wouldn't be so sure that Henson wouldn't be a key player in a UNC win.
If UNC can make this a transition game, he could be a big time problem for Duke.

When strickland plays more than likely henson sits. As for transition game, ole roy has been waiting on that the entire season. So I wouldn't count on it too much for this game. But anything is possible. I see the key to the game is whether Duke makes the 3 ball. That is the biggest weakness for the heels. If Duke makes 8+ they win. If they stink it up from long range, then unc may get some runs outs(transition). I look for unc to give us their best shot. Just like all Duke opponents. Go Duke!

jv001
02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
As if you didn't need another reason to hope we beat the tar out of the Holes:

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/category/sports/harrison-barnes-sports/

Seems like a very nice young man, but I can never root for him in basketball, but I will in life. Go Duke!

BD80
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
... I wouldn't be so sure that Henson wouldn't be a key player in a UNC win.

Come on Wheat, let's focus on this year. We can argue about 2012 when it comes :D

shoutingncu
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Turnovers...more than 10-12 TO's and UNC loses, maybe big...

You're talking 10 to 12 in the first half, right?

I guess you do say "more than"... because I would love for Carolina to only have 12 for the game.

shoutingncu
02-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Come on Wheat, let's focus on this year. We can argue about 2012 when it comes :D

But he'll be a lottery pick in 2010... I mean, 2011... :)

BD80
02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
But he'll be a lottery pick in 2010... I mean, 2011... :)

The good news (for Duke) is that Henson truly has UP side. And I do mean UP. His hands get so much higher than other players around him that it is astonishing. He is easily a lottery pick whenever he comes out. The sooner the better in my mind. Gotta get that clock ticking on the first contract. ;)

BlueintheFace
02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Strickland with the career high. count on it.

airowe
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM

19 points ain't gonna win the game for the win. Color me not scared.

roywhite
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
19 points ain't gonna win the game for the win. Color me not scared.

Agreed.

As I see it, the threats to a Blue Devil win are:

1. A really cold shooting night by Duke
2. Some other-worldly performance by UNC inside...Davis, Thompson, etc.
3. A barrage of whistles by the zebras against the Devils, forcing shortened performances by Thomas and Zoubek.

The better team, Duke, should win.

devildeac
02-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Agreed.

As I see it, the threats to a Blue Devil win are:

1. A really cold shooting night by Duke
2. Some other-worldly performance by UNC inside...Davis, Thompson, etc.
3. A barrage of whistles by the zebras against the Devils, forcing shortened performances by Thomas and Zoubek.

The better team, Duke, should win.

1. Certainly possible.
2. Certainly possible.
3. Never, ever gonna happen (:rolleyes:). I can't remember whether I posted it here already, but I suspect Z will have 2 PF as the bus departs the Duke campus and LT to pick up a couple as the bus enters the unc campus.

Neals384
02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Seems like a very nice young man, but I can never root for him in basketball, but I will in life. Go Duke!

Barnes is a remarkably good writer for a teen...or he has a ghost writer.

whereinthehellami
02-09-2010, 02:24 PM
UNC is under alot of pressure for this game. They are short on the experience and leadership needed to win these kinds of big games. I think if it was earlier in the season it would have been better for UNC. They seemed to be playing looser back then and having fun. They have hit a wall now and don't have the ability to reach down deep and come up with that extra juice that is needed in the ACC at this point in the season.

dukejim1
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
to fire the heels up. A day before the big game and they have three articles(mostly critical) up on the heels on the front page of the Sports section. They have a breakdown on every significant player on the roster in one of the articles. The UNC journalism tree has put forth a strong effort into trying to provide as much bulletin board material as possible for Ole Roy. Now if only the UNC basketball tree could come back and play.

jjasper0729
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Follow up on Zeller's Status (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-zeller-on-the-mend)

Queue the Willis Reed clip.

rasputin
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Individual match ups, strength and weaknesses are what's always hard to figure in a college game.

Duke's toughness, excellent teamwork and experience represents a high hill to climb for this UNC team, however.

The reverse weauxing is noted.:)
As always, it's nice to discuss stuff with Wheat.

roywhite
02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
As always, it's nice to discuss stuff with Wheat.

Dare we say this about Wheat?---he's good at separting the chaff. :)

moonpie23
02-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Follow up on Zeller's Status (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-zeller-on-the-mend)

Queue the Willis Reed clip.

>> "And I think that's all that he'll do this week; and then if no pain comes, then I think they would release him to do more next week,'' Williams said.<<

Translation: Zeller starts and has a career game.

-jk
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
>> "And I think that's all that he'll do this week; and then if no pain comes, then I think they would release him to do more next week,'' Williams said.<<

Translation: Zeller starts and has a career game.

Ooh! deja vu (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=361444&post361444)!

Which just goes to show it's a consistent, easily recognized pattern from UNC. I doubt K will be surprised.

-jk

Wheat/"/"/"
02-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Just trying to do my part...:)

How 'bout the Scheyer/Drew match up?

I'll be watching that closely, because I think Drew's quickness can be a problem for Jon if Drew comes out really aggressive. If he is tentitive, Scheyer will be too much. He can't give him room. I know I am in the minority around the 'net, but I think Drew is a better player than given credit for. I think Drew can win this match up.

Offensively, Scheyer is going to get his 15, Drew, and whoever gets caught on the switches, just has to keep him from getting the open looks by staying with him at all times. Open looks and JS will get 20+...too much.

I'll say it again because this has me concerned...Don't leave home on the dribble drives and allow kick outs. Make Duke finish and hit the boards!

trinity92
02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I just hope our team has it drummed into them that while LDII is fast and may beat his man, he has a hard time finishing at the rim. We would be doing UNC an unbelievable favor by fouling him and sending him to the line. I'd pull any Duke player who fouls LD anywhere but right at the rim until he's shown he can make a layup against us and give him a severe talking to.

jv001
02-09-2010, 07:31 PM

I'll be watching that closely, because I think Drew's quickness can be a problem for Jon if Drew comes out really aggressive. If he is tentitive, Scheyer will be too much. He can't give him room. I know I am in the minority around the 'net, but I think Drew is a better player than given credit for. I think Drew can win this match up.

Offensively, Scheyer is going to get his 15, Drew, and whoever gets caught on the switches, just has to keep him from getting the open looks by staying with him at all times. Open looks and JS will get 20+...too much.

I'll say it again because this has me concerned...Don't leave home on the dribble drives and allow kick outs. Make Duke finish and hit the boards!
The post you made recently that Drew had better numbers than Jon but then backed off of when challenged by many on this board. I guess you really meant it by the above comments. I guess we'll see Wednesday night. Even if unc is pouring everything at Duke. Go Duke!

MChambers
02-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Seems to me that Kelly might match up pretty well with the Wears. Be interesting to see how much he plays tomorrow.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
The post you made recently that Drew had better numbers than Jon but then backed off of when challenged by many on this board. I guess you really meant it by the above comments. I guess we'll see Wednesday night. Even if unc is pouring everything at Duke. Go Duke!

I made a post that showed Drew had some surprising stats that were better than Scheyer's, in the context that stats can be misleading.

I never backed off anything I said, and I won't.

Here's what I said, in the original post you are talking about, in the Scheyer stats thread:

...."Of course, this is a classic example of how stats can be misleading. I don't think anyone can, or would, argue Drew is a better PG at this point than Scheyer. If anything it proves just how much of a players game does not show in the stats".

And in reply to a follow up post that suggested anyone would trade Drew for Scheyer:

"Scheyer is one of my favorite Duke players. ACC players. He does all the little things and gets the most of his talent.
But I don't know about a trade. I think Drew is a good PG with a bright future.
He will probably not be the player Scheyer is this year, he's still making the mental mstakes at times he shouldn't, but he's a Soph, Scheyer's a Sr.
Their match up will be a big key to the Duke/UNC game.

You guys should respect Drew, he's a good player too".

I think I have been pretty consistant with my opinion of these players, and my belief that Drew could win a match up with Scheyer should not be considered a slight of Scheyer.

Drew should be respected, he's a good player that just needs a little help out there, IMO.

jv001
02-09-2010, 10:00 PM

I'll be watching that closely, because I think Drew's quickness can be a problem for Jon if Drew comes out really aggressive. I think Drew is a better player than given credit for. I think Drew can win this match up.

!

I was just going on your quote that you think drew can win this match up. I don't blame you for rooting for your guy, but I think your response to your earlier post about being surprised when you found the stats on the two players was not quite what you made it out to be. Sorry if I'm wrong. If you think that drew is the better of the two, that is your opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't agree. Jon does so much more for Duke than drew will ever do for unc. And I don't think drew will be as good as Jon when he's a senior. Like I said, we'll just wait until Wednesday and see who plays the better game. By the way, I like most of your posts. Go Duke!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I was just going on your quote that you think drew can win this match up. I don't blame you for rooting for your guy, but I think your response to your earlier post about being surprised when you found the stats on the two players was not quite what you made it out to be. Sorry if I'm wrong. If you think that drew is the better of the two, that is your opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't agree. Jon does so much more for Duke than drew will ever do for unc. And I don't think drew will be as good as Jon when he's a senior. Like I said, we'll just wait until Wednesday and see who plays the better game. By the way, I like most of your posts. Go Duke!

The skills are there, Drew just has to play a whole lot smarter to reach Scheyer's consistant level of play. Scheyer is a better overall player at this point.

But do not be fooled, Drew is a good player too, and could best him in this game. The question is will he?

I agree, play the game and the answers will come.

Wander
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
But do not be fooled, Drew is a good player too, and could best him in this game. The question is will he?

I was with you for a while that Drew was a little underrated, but it's time to face facts. Drew is a role player on a team that is 2-6. Scheyer is a star on a team that 7-2. Scheyer does absolutely everything better than Drew except for maybe making passes into the post. Could Drew have a better game than Scheyer? Yes, of course, stranger things have happened. But it's a completely meaningless statement, and it's a ridiculous thing to consider as a key to the game. If UNC is going to beat Duke, the most likely case is that they do so with their strength - Ed Davis and Deon Thompson abusing us inside.

roywhite
02-09-2010, 10:56 PM
I was with you for a while that Drew was a little underrated, but it's time to face facts. Drew is a role player on a team that is 2-6. Scheyer is a star on a team that 7-2. Scheyer does absolutely everything better than Drew except for maybe making passes into the post. Could Drew have a better game than Scheyer? Yes, of course, stranger things have happened. But it's a completely meaningless statement, and it's a ridiculous thing to consider as a key to the game. If UNC is going to beat Duke, the most likely case is that they do so with their strength - Ed Davis and Deon Thompson abusing us inside.

Drew has some ability, but he has had a pretty broad range of performances. Remember his last game...vs Maryland...0 points 5 assists, 4 turnovers, and got torched by Greivis and Eric Hayes.

Scheyer's 3-pt shots don't always fall but he's a steady, consistently good player.

Advantage decidedly to Duke at this position.

airowe
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM

What in the world makes you think Jon will be matched up on Drew? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have Jon guard your slow, prodding 2 guard Ginyard or your catch and shoot Burger Boy (literally) Graves?

airowe
02-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Little rumor going around that Travis Wear broke his ankle today in practice.

gofurman
02-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I see people continuing to predict a double-digit victory. I hope they're right.

Those who do not learn from history...yada yada yada.

I too will be shocked if duke wins by double digits at unc. when is the last time that happened? seriously?

Duvall
02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Drew has some ability, but he has had a pretty broad range of performances. Remember his last game...vs Maryland...0 points 5 assists, 4 turnovers, and got torched by Greivis and Eric Hayes.

Scheyer's 3-pt shots don't always fall but he's a steady, consistently good player.

Advantage decidedly to Duke at this position.

Plus, there's the other end of the floor. Lead guards against UNC in ACC play:

Malcolm Delaney: 26 points on 6-13 shooting.
Demontez Stitt: 20 points on 8-14 shooting.
Iman Shumpert: 30 points on 10-17 shooting.
Ish Smith: 20 points on 8-17 shooting.
Javi Gonzalez: 19 points on 6-11 shooting.
Sammy Zeglinski: 19 points on 5-9 shooting.
Malcolm Delaney: 21 points on 6-17 shooting.
Greivis Vasquez: 26 points on 10-23 shooting.

I don't think Carolina needs to hold Scheyer under 15 points to win tomorrow night. Which is quite good for them, because I have a hard time seeing that happening.

BlueintheFace
02-09-2010, 11:53 PM

I think they have an extra lying around somewhere. I'd check the bench first.

strawbs
02-09-2010, 11:54 PM

over on insidecarolina someone said that on leslie mcdonalds twitter he said that it's not true

Duvall
02-10-2010, 12:08 AM
I too will be shocked if duke wins by double digits at unc. when is the last time that happened? seriously?

Dukeface88
02-10-2010, 12:09 AM

Two years ago, by 12. We burned benches without a permit, and the fire department hosed down the crowd. Good times.

airowe
02-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I think they have an extra lying around somewhere. I'd check the bench first.

A Spare Where?

77devil
02-10-2010, 12:22 AM
I made a post that showed Drew had some surprising stats that were better than Scheyer's, in the context that stats can be misleading.

I never backed off anything I said, and I won't.

Here's what I said, in the original post you are talking about, in the Scheyer stats thread:

...."Of course, this is a classic example of how stats can be misleading. I don't think anyone can, or would, argue Drew is a better PG at this point than Scheyer. If anything it proves just how much of a players game does not show in the stats".

And in reply to a follow up post that suggested anyone would trade Drew for Scheyer:

"Scheyer is one of my favorite Duke players. ACC players. He does all the little things and gets the most of his talent.
But I don't know about a trade. I think Drew is a good PG with a bright future.
He will probably not be the player Scheyer is this year, he's still making the mental mstakes at times he shouldn't, but he's a Soph, Scheyer's a Sr.
Their match up will be a big key to the Duke/UNC game.

You guys should respect Drew, he's a good player too".

I think I have been pretty consistant with my opinion of these players, and my belief that Drew could win a match up with Scheyer should not be considered a slight of Scheyer.

Drew should be respected, he's a good player that just needs a little help out there, IMO.

The late Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said during a debate that "you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts."

You cherry picked a couple of stats after 4 ACC games that were in fact meaningless(not misleading, meaningless) by definition. Let's see how the two are doing at the half way point which I submit is still not relevant. But, hey, you started it. The official data are from the ACC website; steals and FG% are from ESPN.

Scoring JS 18.2, DII not listed
FG% JS 41.8% DII 39.7%
Assists DII 6.1, JS 4.8 -TO DII 3.5, JS 2.4 - A/TO JS 2.0, DII 1.8
FT% JS 88%, DII not listed
3PT FG Made PG JS 2.3, DII not listed - 3PT FG% JS 33.9%, DII not listed
Steals JS 1.67, DII 0.75

Scheyer's stats. are superior in almost all respects notwithstanding your attempt to suggest otherwise in the previous thread. In the spirit of the late great senator from NY, feel free to express your opinions all you want, but kindly avoid delving into the realm of facts unless you use the actual ones instead of your own.

loldevilz
02-10-2010, 01:08 AM

When was the last time UNC was this bad? They are have lost 6 of their last 7 games. They are nearly last in the ACC. I for one will not be shocked if we win by anything less than 25. I expect the game to be a bit closer though because its a road game and Duke has struggled a bit outside cameron.

SilkyJ
02-10-2010, 01:12 AM

Salad dressing.

See I can just say useless things too.

I know I am in the minority around the 'net, but I think Drew is a better player than given credit for. I think Drew can win this match up.

For the most part I don't like you and think you try to stir the pot, but I agree drew is underrated, and that's cause most people just look at the main scoring/reb/ast stats. Drew's numbers this year are very similar to Duhon's throughout his career, who averaged 10pts/6asts as a senior, and fairly similar stats the rest of his career, yet we know Cdu was one of the best guards in the country.

Bob Green
02-10-2010, 06:27 AM
For the most part I don't like you and think you try to stir the pot....

Well there is no reason to communicate dislike for a poster and I believe Wheat successfully "stirs the pot" with adequate tact. We are all Internet friends here so let's keep it civil.

moonpie23
02-10-2010, 06:42 AM
wheat keeps it civil....hard to do...i know.....i've been banned from IC and i had made it a priority to "keep it civil"...

his posts do stir the pot, but we all do in some fashion.. :cool:

slower
02-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Well there is no reason to communicate dislike for a poster and I believe Wheat successfully "stirs the pot" with adequate tact. We are all Internet friends here so let's keep it civil.

Wheat knows exactly what he's doing. He operates within the boundaries of the rules and regulations of the board, but he picks his spots to get in his digs. The little smiling faces ;) don't fool many of us. He seems like a decent enough guy, but neither he nor anybody else should be surprised when people call him on his antics.

jjasper0729
02-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Link Here (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/report-unc-wear-brother-injures-ankle)

Queue the Willis Reed video clip for a second player

MChambers
02-10-2010, 09:26 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/sports/ncaabasketball/10heels.html

-jk
02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Wheat knows exactly what he's doing. He operates within the boundaries of the rules and regulations of the board, but he picks his spots to get in his digs. The little smiling faces ;) don't fool many of us. He seems like a decent enough guy, but neither he nor anybody else should be surprised when people call him on his antics.

And so long as people call him on his antics, themselves operating within the boundaries of the rules and regulations of the board, there shouldn't be a problem.

-jk

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM
50-1 odds that Roy throws out a Duke fan. Any takers?

sdotbarbee
02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/sports/ncaabasketball/10heels.html

Pretty good article except the fact that on "neutral" court Duke is 3-0, beating Uconn, Gonzaga, and Iowa State. On the road we have struggled but neutral sites, like the tournament, we are undefeated.

Kfanarmy
02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree...What place do good natured competitive digs, if that is what they are intended to be, between sports fans of rivalry teams have in the world of sportsmanship? Someone needs to call him out!:eek:

slower
02-10-2010, 10:12 AM
I agree...What place do good natured competitive digs, if that is what they are intended to be, between sports fans of rivalry teams have in the world of sportsmanship? Someone needs to call him out!:eek:

that's EXACTLY what I was saying ;) (there's a little Wheat-face for ya).

** Thanks for putting things in perspective, guys **

Oh, Wheat, you loveable scamp, you are my favorite grain!!!!!!!

circle of trust, eyes on you, bygones, can't we all just get along, etc.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
And so long as people call him on his antics, themselves operating within the boundaries of the rules and regulations of the board, there shouldn't be a problem.

-jk

Antics? That's pretty funny.
I have no problem with anyone wanting to challenge anything I say here, and I appreciate the many who do it with spirit. I live by the thought that if you can't defend what you say, maybe you shouldn't say it...

Where is the love? You'd think this is a rivalry or something...;) (just for slower)

slower
02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I have no problem with anyone wanting to challenge anything I say here, and I appreciate the many who do it with spirit. I live by the thought that if you can't defend what you say, maybe you shouldn't say it...

Where is the love? You'd think this is a rivalry or something...;) (just for slower)

see above

Who loves ya, baby? ;)

DevilHorns
02-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Wheat, I've always respected what you say, and I actually enjoy reading what you say since it often comes from that other angle. I couldn't do what you do on a rival board and stay civil. If I went on IC I would literally be typing "Go to Gell Carolina" on every post and probably get kicked out in 17 seconds.

The only time you've irked me is after cryolina won the championship last year, but I mean, come on, If Carolina basketball is as awesome to you as Duke basketball is for us, we can't really blame you for that (well, we can a little bit...).

In other news, Go to Hell Carolina Go To Hell!

Udaman
02-10-2010, 10:24 AM
It's Duke -5 1/2

If I lived near Vegas...this one is a no brainer. I would bet a decent amount on UNC. Why?

Because if UNC covers, then I win money. If Duke wins by 4, I win money. If UNC pulls the upset and wins outright, then even though I'm totally bummed, I win money. And if Duke beats them by 6 or more, it means that we smacked them around in Chapel Hill, it seals their fate for missing the tournament, and despite the fact that I lose money, I completely win.

(and by the way, I think UNC is going to win tonight. To me this is a HUGE statement game for Duke. The Tar Heels simply must win. This is now their season. If we can go in there and beat them under that scenario, then it says a great deal about our team and our prospects to go far in March.)

Wheat/"/"/"
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM

I disagree on this concept...the strengths for each team will probably show, Duke's backcourt, UNC's frontcourt.

What will likely be the difference maker is a player surprising us and playing above his expected level, like Zoubs or Thomas...or Drew and Henson.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Wheat, I've always respected what you say, and I actually enjoy reading what you say since it often comes from that other angle. I couldn't do what you do on a rival board and stay civil. If I went on IC I would literally be typing "Go to Gell Carolina" on every post and probably get kicked out in 17 seconds.

The only time you've irked me is after cryolina won the championship last year, but I mean, come on, If Carolina basketball is as awesome to you as Duke basketball is for us, we can't really blame you for that (well, we can a little bit...).

In other news, Go to Hell Carolina Go To Hell!

I would get banned in 17 seconds over at IC too...I can keep my temper much more under control around here, (usually), than I ever could over there.
That place, along with the Devil's Den, is the kiddie pool of hoops boards...there is always something floating in the water that makes me uncomfortable, if you know what I mean...:)

jv001
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
What will likely be the difference maker is a player surprising us and playing above his expected level, like Zoubs or Thomas...or Drew and Henson.

Oh, where's Robbie West or Fred Lind when you need them? Go Duke!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Losing Travis Wear is another tough break for the Heels. The hits just keep coming this year, don't they?

He is a strong, smart kid in the post and would have given the Heels some quality minutes.

At least the front court depth is paying off for the Heels, Zeller out, T. Wear out, and there are still quality players available down low.

There are no excuses.

watzone
02-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Zoubs checks i before tonight's game - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/02/zoubek-talks-of-tonights-big-game-versus-north-carolina/

watzone
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I would get banned in 17 seconds over at IC too...I can keep my temper much more under control around here, (usually), than I ever could over there.
That place, along with the Devil's Den, is the kiddie pool of hoops boards...there is always something floating in the water that makes me uncomfortable, if you know what I mean...:)

So, are there any key lime pies on the line for tonight's game? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Newton_14
02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Losing Travis Wear is another tough break for the Heels. The hits just keep coming this year, don't they?

He is a strong, smart kid in the post and would have given the Heels some quality minutes.

At least the front court depth is paying off for the Heels, Zeller out, T. Wear out, and there are still quality players available down low.

There are no excuses.

Yeah, I know how you feel. We would have loved to have a healthy Nolan Smith for last year's game at the hill, but them's the breaks as they say.....;)

Wheat/"/"/"
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
So, are there any key lime pies on the line for tonight's game? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

No pies, but I was feelin' guilty for taking the fandango tix from Airowe on the Watts/Graves who would score most bet, so I gave him double or nothing on tonights outcome.

Duke of Nashville
02-10-2010, 01:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4902867&categoryid=2378529

ESPN's Take on "Renewing the Rivalry"

CLW
02-10-2010, 01:42 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/3409389

Good video to get primed for tonight's contest.

Acymetric
02-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I forgot all about this, I know it came up a while back when it was announced, but Hans is getting his jersey retired tonight...I wonder if its more likely to have a positive or negative impact on the game. Plus Barnes is visiting...a lot going on at the Dean Dome tonight, hopefully it ends in a crushing loss to Duke.

shoutingncu
02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I forgot all about this, I know it came up a while back when it was announced, but Hans is getting his jersey retired tonight...I wonder if its more likely to have a positive or negative impact on the game. Plus Barnes is visiting...a lot going on at the Dean Dome tonight, hopefully it ends in a crushing loss to Duke.

Quite probable. But hopefully (for the minority here) this season is just a blip, and appropriate, then, that we celebrate the glory of the immediate past and the promise of the foreseeable future.

BD80
02-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Wonder if MJ will be here?

I'll bet no, because of the likelihood that the heels will be embarrased.

It will be interetsting to see which alums show up. They should be there to honor Hans as his jersey is raised, but they may not want to be a part of a butt-wooping. The serious "tar heels" will be there if they can.

Greg_Newton
02-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Interesting that Duke only opened as a 4.5 point favorite. It's moved up to 5.5-6 points, which is generally a good sign, but it's a smaller spread than I might have imagined.

I've been quietly/cautiously hopeful for a blowout (knock on wood), but Vegas usually knows better than I do. I'm bracing myself for a nailbiter tonight...

ForeverBlowingBubbles
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
interesting few posts...

http://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=40&sub=100675466

loldevilz
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the post...this is a great video

Masticatee
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
...that really has nothing to do with the current conversation but is interesting nonetheless.

I go to a small liberal arts college (<3200) in the Seattle/Tacoma area, so naturally there are few Duke fans in the greater metro area. However, while walking to classes today I have spotted no few than five Duke shirts. There was also a guy with the perfect blue hair (dyed since Monday actually) in one of my classes. I'd like to think he did it for the sake of supporting the team but I doubt that. ;) edit: one of my professors also had on the 'Perfect Blue' polo shirt but again, maybe just coincidence.

Hopefully I will be watching the game tonight with my friends on the basketball team--one of whom is, yes, a huge Duke fan. Along with a couple others who are casual fans. Naturally, there is the one guy who is a Carolina fan too. One of the HUGE perks of going to a small school is you get to know a lot of different people from all sorts of backgrounds/interests/etc. I'm very much looking forward to tonight. :D

Let's! Go! Duke! GTHCGTH

ChicagoCrazy84
02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
If we lose tonight, I just hope to God the box score does not look something like this:

Singler 4-15 16
Thomas 3-6 7
Plumlee 1-4 2
Smith 6-13 19
Scheyer 6-14 17
Plumlee 0-3 0
Dawkins 0-2 0
Zoubek 2-5 4
Kelly 1-2 2

But rather, something like this:

Singler 5-11 14
Thomas 2-6 4
Plumlee 2-5 7
Smith 6-13 15
Scheyer 6-14 18
Plumlee 2-3 6
Dawkins 3-6 8
Zoubek 2-5 4
Kelly 1-2 2

bluesin
02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
If we lose tonight, I just hope to God the box score does not look something like this:

Singler 4-15 16
Thomas 3-6 7
Plumlee 1-4 2
Smith 6-13 19
Scheyer 6-14 17
Plumlee 0-3 0
Dawkins 0-2 0
Zoubek 2-5 4
Kelly 1-2 2

But rather, something like this:

Singler 5-11 14
Thomas 2-6 4
Plumlee 2-5 7
Smith 6-13 15
Scheyer 6-14 18
Plumlee 2-3 6
Dawkins 3-6 8
Zoubek 2-5 4
Kelly 1-2 2

I'm not quite sure I follow you, I may get the gist of it, but from what you just said I get: if we lose tonight you would prefer we play decently on offense but extremely poorly on defense and allow UNC to score more than 78 points on us, and you prefer this to us only scoring 67 points (which is either our fault or UNC decides to show up and play defense)? I'm not quite sure I got everything out of your post that you wanted to convey, but I suppose I agree that I too would prefer UNC plays poorly on defense and we score more than 67 points if nothing else :p

ChicagoCrazy84
02-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not quite sure I follow you, I may get the gist of it, but from what you just said I get: if we lose tonight you would prefer we play decently on offense but extremely poorly on defense and allow UNC to score more than 78 points on us, and you prefer this to us only scoring 67 points (which is either our fault or UNC decides to show up and play defense)? I'm not quite sure I got everything out of your post that you wanted to convey, but I suppose I agree that I too would prefer UNC plays poorly on defense and we score more than 67 points if nothing else :p

Honestly, I didn't put all the thought in the world into it. Basically, I just want to see improvement across the board offensively. I wasn't paying attention to total points, but rather FG% and balance. Obviously, I would be extremely disappointed if we allowed UNC to score more than 78, but I just want other guys to get involved and show improvement, mostly Dawkins and the Plumlee bros. :D

shoutingncu
02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Honestly, I didn't put all the thought in the world into it. Basically, I just want to see improvement across the board offensively. I wasn't paying attention to total points, but rather FG% and balance. Obviously, I would be extremely disappointed if we allowed UNC to score more than 78, but I just want other guys to get involved and show improvement, mostly Dawkins and the Plumlee bros. :D

I followed your thought process, and it's certainly an interesting point.

If UNC can "hold" the Big 3 to twenty points apiece, or thereabouts, while preventing the others from having any productivity, will Carolina have enough balance to pull off the upset?

During the Sweet 16 last season, someone on this board said that Griffin was going to get his 30, but who would score the other 60 needed to beat Carolina.

The Big 3 are likely going for 50+ easily tonight. Can Carolina minimize the damage done there by containing the others (or neutralizing some of the damage by having big games from some unforeseen trio of their own)?

Incidentally, I think that's where Wheat's comments come into play a little bit. I think we can all agree that Jon is a better player than Drew, but if Drew has an outstanding game, it won't matter that Jon is better... their production may come out as a wash. I remember last year, or the year before, people comparing Singler to Thompson. Yes, Singler's overall game is better than Deon's, no question... but Deon was able to offset Singler's contribution by having an above average first half at Cameron. If Deon's points chip into Singler's and Drew's offset a good portion of Jon's, then Carolina may just be able to hang.

I'll believe it when I see it, of course, but it's not impossible.

sivartrenrag
02-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Wow, I've been looking for this for so long. Thanks for posting it.

It makes me want to vomit, though. I guess I break the mold of the 'average Duke fan.' Native, proud North Carolinian from a middle-class family. Oops!

jjasper0729
02-10-2010, 04:21 PM

only problem with this video is it's 3/4 skewed to UNC basketball past

left_hook_lacey
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Funny, before the season I thought Henson would match up with Kyle for most of the game. Doesn't seem all that likely now.

I would actually like to see that matchup. I would like to see Henson have to guard someone his size that plays on around the key, but I would also like to see how Singler fares against a long shot-blocking type player like henson. Henson has shown recently that he is getting comfortable around the 3 point line as well, on offense and defense.

I think that would be one of the more interesing match-ups in this game.

dbd4ever
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
It looks like Travis Wear will be out tonight with an ankle injury according to ESPN along with Tyler Zeller.

Troublemaker
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
This should be a game in which no lead is safe because both teams have reasons to tighten up should they jump out to an early advantage. Duke of course hasn't had much success against UNC lately and is expected to win this game. I think Duke's players will feel more pressure playing tonight's game than they would in a Final Four game. Pressure is about expectations. UNC meanwhile has a young team and if they happen to jump all over Duke early, instead of maintaining focus, it's possible they will start thinking about how they're about to salvage their season and win for Hansbrough and so forth, i.e. they start thinking about the final buzzer way too soon.

This is the kind of game where I would prefer a 15-pt halftime deficit to a 15-pt halftime lead. There's a tendency for teams to play loose and angry if they're behind big but passive and "not to lose" if they're ahead big, especially in these kinds of games in which lots of emotion and pressure are involved.

Greg_Newton
02-10-2010, 05:53 PM
This should be a game in which no lead is safe because both teams have reasons to tighten up should they jump out to an early advantage. Duke of course hasn't had much success against UNC lately and is expected to win this game. I think Duke's players will feel more pressure playing tonight's game than they would in a Final Four game. Pressure is about expectations. UNC meanwhile has a young team and if they happen to jump all over Duke early, instead of maintaining focus, it's possible they will start thinking about how they're about to salvage their season and win for Hansbrough and so forth, i.e. they start thinking about the final buzzer way too soon.

This is the kind of game where I would prefer a 15-pt halftime deficit to a 15-pt halftime lead. There's a tendency for teams to play loose and angry if they're behind big but passive and "not to lose" if they're ahead big, especially in these kinds of games in which lots of emotion and pressure are involved.
:eek:

I was with you until this sentence. I'm not even sure what to say to that!

If we're up 15 at halftime, I'll be thrilled.

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Interesting that Duke only opened as a 4.5 point favorite. It's moved up to 5.5-6 points, which is generally a good sign, but it's a smaller spread than I might have imagined.

I've been quietly/cautiously hopeful for a blowout (knock on wood), but Vegas usually knows better than I do. I'm bracing myself for a nailbiter tonight...

The spread moving has nothing to do with the outcome. It means the books are trying to get the money bet more equal.

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
In addition to mr. free throw getting his uni retired (or however they phrase it) and prince h*rry in the house, hotshot sophomore jp tokoto

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=31077

will be in attendance. His team was supposed to play last night, but the game was snowed out. They did not reschedule, they simply cancelled the game.

Greg_Newton
02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
The spread moving has nothing to do with the outcome. It means the books are trying to get the money bet more equal.

I'm aware it doesn't actually affect the game... it's just generally considered a good omen if the line is moving in your favor, especially early, because it means the "smart money" is betting on your team.

Hopefully we can increase our record in Tokoto-observed games to 1-1 tonight...

Side note: I kind of wish Vitale wasn't on this game. He's enthusiastic, but it's to the point that it's like he doesn't even notice what's going on or take it seriously... kind of hard to listen to if you actually care about the game.

Mrezt
02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Nervous as always for this game. It never matters what each team is ranked, i'm always worried that UNC will play out of their minds and we will slack. Also, I hate knowing that one of their players who usually does nothing will suddenly contribute a lot to their offense for this one game, oh please.. dont let it be Henson. I can see this guy being Strickland

On the flip side, i've seen Duke players who step up big time during this game as well. I'm torn between wanting it to be Andre or Mason. Andre will provide neccessary 3's if he gets hot, but Mason will be very helpful considering UNC is a better front-court team than back-court.

Duke needs to get a good lead going early which will hopefully put UNC and its players in a familiar position and they will start to lose some hope. Hit our 3's, and i think we have a real good chance. Play like we did against State..god help us

But on the positive side I would normally have Astronomy Lab tonight at 10 (cant miss one of those) and i thought i would miss the 2nd half. Thanks to mother nature a blizzard came (I live in Boone..) and all classes are cancelled ;)

Indoor66
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
This is the kind of game where I would prefer a 15-pt halftime deficit to a 15-pt halftime lead.

I can't agree with this!!!!!!!!! I think that idea is nuts! I NEVER want to be behind by 15 points at any time in any game. The psychology is not beneficial, the other team has confidence and it is one heck of a hole from which to dig out.

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
good stuff from widerer:

On Monday, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was asked what he's enjoyed most about the rivalry during his 30 seasons here.
"Are you saying I enjoy it?" he answered with a smile.
He then looked down at his belly.
"OK, stomach. Enjoy."
Sure, North Carolina has likely made Coach K reach for the Tums a few times over the past three decades. But even Krzyzewski can't deny the appreciation he's built up for everything this rivalry signifies.

Mrezt
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
I can't agree with this!!!!!!!!! I think that idea is nuts! I NEVER want to be behind by 15 points at any time in any game. The psychology is not beneficial, the other team has confidence and it is one heck of a hole from which to dig out.

If we are down 15 at half i dont know what i would even do with myself during halftime..

BD80
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I am looking forward to tonight.

For the last couple of years, we have had issues going into the carolina game (can't stop PG penetration, no post depth). This year, our only issue is whether we play well or not.

GO DEVILS!!!

gwwilburn
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I can't decide whether there is more pressure to win in Chapel Hill this year or last. Sure, we really needed to rock the Hansparty, but a loss tonight would be just plain embarrassing.

On another note:

Does anyone know why ESPN scheduled a (sure to be extra long) Big East game exactly two hours before the "Greatest Rivalry in College Hoops" tips off? If we have a redo of Saturday, I will be fuming.

licc85
02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
we didn't play any defense at all in the gtown game, and we gave up a big 2nd half lead at BC. The win at clemson doesn't look as great now since clemson has not been playing very well. I would like to see us really stick it to UNC and come out with a strong performance to once and for all put all the talk about our road struggles to bed. I've been looking forward to this game for the last 3 months, anything short of a double digit win would be a disappoint.

shoutingncu
02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
we didn't play any defense at all in the gtown game, and we gave up a big 2nd half lead at BC. The win at clemson doesn't look as great now since clemson has not been playing very well. I would like to see us really stick it to UNC and come out with a strong performance to once and for all put all the talk about our road struggles to bed. I've been looking forward to this game for the last 3 months, anything short of a double digit win would be a disappoint.

Not to downplay what I'm assuming is a UNC loss, but would beating Carolina at the Smith Center this year really put Duke's road troubles to bed?

InSpades
02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
On another note:

Does anyone know why ESPN scheduled a (sure to be extra long) Big East game exactly two hours before the "Greatest Rivalry in College Hoops" tips off? If we have a redo of Saturday, I will be fuming.

Not trying to jinx it but... there's about 4 minutes left in the 1st half and it's not even 7:40 yet. Prospects looking reasonably good that we see tip-off.

Newton_14
02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Not to downplay what I'm assuming is a UNC loss, but would beating Carolina at the Smith Center this year really put Duke's road troubles to bed?

Don't scratch your head long trying to figure the poster out, he appears to be one of yours not ours..

But to answer your question, winning tonight would get us to within 1 game of .500 on the road, but this game is not about conquering our road demons.. it is way more important than that...

snowdenscold
02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Question that was sorta answered on page 1:

If I'm in the DC area, will it be on ESPN or Raycom? And if Raycom, what is that usually shown on? DC20? (I don't have cable but I have dc20 so I'm trying to figure out if I need to watch it online, go to a friend's, etc.)

jipops
02-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I buy Wheat's assessment that someone such as Henson could become a major factor in this one. It's actually difficult to see how we would match up with him.

Our defense can't perform like it has in the past on the road. Despite the tarheel's struggles, they can still score.

I have the sinking feeling UNC will come out on top in this one, but then continue their tailspin for the rest of the season.

shoutingncu
02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Don't scratch your head long trying to figure the poster out, he appears to be one of yours not ours..

But to answer your question, winning tonight would get us to within 1 game of .500 on the road, but this game is not about conquering our road demons.. it is way more important than that...

Yeah, but mostly I was trying to downplay... :)

Taking my lunch hour now to head to the bar... Hey, SoCal, where you watching?

superdave
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM

If I'm in the DC area, will it be on ESPN or Raycom? And if Raycom, what is that usually shown on? DC20? (I don't have cable but I have dc20 so I'm trying to figure out if I need to watch it online, go to a friend's, etc.)

Raycom
Go to a sports bar if you have to!

78Devil
02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I am very, very nervous about this game. The stakes aren't high on paper, but they are astronomical from a psychological/ego standpoint. To lose to UNC after their record and recent performances would be very humiliating. It almost has a bad inevitable kharma feel about the whole thing.

So you optimists out there, give me some confidence. Let's have the top 3 reasons why Duke will prevail tonight!

weezie
02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
DC 20 it is with Mr Large Teeth Dan Bonner, most likely.

Duvall
02-10-2010, 08:00 PM

The game should be on DC20 tonight.

BD80
02-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Hubert Davis just gave his analysis of the game, and thinks:

"it is really important for carolina to play defense at both ends of the floor"

Hmmm.

That could explain their problems in generating offense out of their half-court sets.

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 08:04 PM
For those of us far from DURHAM and interested in Bob, John & Company:

http://www.wsfl.com/streamer/streamer.html

:D

superdave
02-10-2010, 08:07 PM
1. Our D
2. Their lack of discipline
3. 3 of the 4 best players on the floor

I'll go 4...A coach who likes Haiti.

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Hubert Davis just gave his analysis of the game, and thinks:

"it is really important for carolina to play defense at both ends of the floor"

He has such a way with words.

weezie
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
1. Our love of the smell of blood in the water
2. Our most wonderful dark blue and black unis
3. Our coach is not a mental midget

snowdenscold
02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Raycom
Go to a sports bar if you have to!

Yeah but what's Raycom in the DC area? I don't think it's listed as such.

Edit: Duvall indicates I was correct in my hopes for a dc20 showing ( I get that in HD over the air w/ my antenna)

CDu
02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
1. Our experience
2. Our discipline
3. Our defense

There are probably more, but those would be the big three. If we can force them into mistakes, we should win comfortably unless they have an amazing shooting/rebounding night and/or we really struggle shooting.

I don't mean to sound overconfident. We can definitely lose this game. UNC has more talent than they've shown in January (they did beat MSU with a healthy Lucas), and we've had trouble on the road this year. But hopefully we overcome our road woes and UNC doesn't find its game tonight.

CPDUKEGUY24
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
1. Better Shade of Blue :cool:
2. The SenSationalS/the Brothers Plumlee :cool: Z, LT, Stone Cold Dre, et. al
3. I get the feeling Roy and 'the Gang' are a lil on TILT these days...:D

GO DUKE/ GTHC !!!

InSpades
02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I am very, very nervous about this game. The stakes aren't high on paper, but they are astronomical from a psychological/ego standpoint. To lose to UNC after their record and recent performances would be very humiliating. It almost has a bad inevitable kharma feel about the whole thing.

So you optimists out there, give me some confidence. Let's have the top 3 reasons why Duke will prevail tonight!

1. Scheyer.
2. Singler.
3. Smith.

superdave
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah but what's Raycom in the DC area? I don't think it's listed as such.

Edit: Duvall indicates I was correct in my hopes for a dc20 showing ( I get that in HD over the air w/ my antenna)

WDCA is the station.

Ch. 19 on Comcast in Arlington or 215 for the HD version. Check it out online...WDCA that is.

weezie
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
OK, I'm ready to hit the couch. It's too exciting staying here.
Halftime regroup.

riverside6
02-10-2010, 08:42 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3812

starters are posted for both teams

InSpades
02-10-2010, 08:47 PM
How many OTs can UConn and Syracuse go to this time? :).

slower
02-10-2010, 08:51 PM
1. Our love of the smell of blood in the water
2. Our most wonderful dark blue and black unis
3. Our coach is not a mental midget

1. A bunch of pissed off Haitians using voodoo ;) (there's my mini-Wheat)

barjwr
02-10-2010, 08:53 PM
How many OTs can UConn and Syracuse go to this time? :).

It's looking like at least one at the 1:51 mark . . . .

Newton_14
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
OK, I'm ready to hit the couch. It's too exciting staying here.
Halftime regroup.

I am with you. Ok gang, I am "going dark". No radio contact until the enemy threat has been eliminated.

Go Duke! GTHC GTH!

somf4eva
02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
is this on the radio anywhere? i am in northern virginia with no cable!

WiJoe
02-10-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.wsfl.com/streamer/streamer.html

strawbs
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
everything is telling me that we are the better team and that we should win this game, but all i can think about is how a loss would be about the worst thing ever

somf4eva
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
actually, i found it on raycom for free. thanks!

slower
02-10-2010, 09:10 PM
just take Miles out NOW.

AlaskanAssassin
02-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Nolan needs to slow down a bit, a lot of quick shots. Everyone looking good though!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Zoubek with another layup attempt from within 2 inches of the basket....

slower
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
did anybody really expect anything different than a point-blank miss?

dubcee83
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Wonders why only a Big Man (Mason) will pass the ball in the post to another Big... Hmmph

ForeverBlowingBubbles
02-10-2010, 09:22 PM
and he redeems himself with his highest jump ever to swat the breaker... so awesome.

slower
02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
and he redeems himself with his highest jump ever to swat the breaker... so awesome.

commits another foul.

Huh?
02-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Sloooooow start, good thing Carolina hasn't been able to hit some open shots. We need to force some turnovers and get some easy baskets

dubcee83
02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Ponder why none of Duke's bigs (except for Mason) can finish emphatically under the goal?...Hmmph. Also tell Nolan Dre is sitting in the corner wide open. Let him hit one and he will hit 4 more in this game.

slower
02-10-2010, 09:29 PM
We're shooting what, 20% ? This is a PISS-POOR showing. These guys should be embarrassed. This shouldn't even be close.

Huh?
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Jacking up jumpers, if we can't get to the basket we're in trouble.

dubcee83
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
OMG. I am soo frustrated. We will pass the ball to Lance 15 times in the post before we give it once to Mason. Why is it so hard to just pass him the ball in the post. He's the only one that finishes around the rim yet we rather pass Thomas the ball. This is really P'ing me off.

illinoisdukie
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Do our bigs pump fake more then any other team? Just go up strong.

Hermy-own
02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Lance is the most frustrating big to watch that I have ever seen. He can't even get himself fouled.

dairedevil
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
frustrating to watch the ball pop in and out of the basket, or hear it clank on the rim. at least unc has had some of the same problems, plus they've had some pretty bad turnovers. I expected this game to be a close one, but had hoped for more of a blowout. don't want unc to gain any confidence.

ChrisP
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
And here I was worried that we would shoot poorly from THREE pt. range!

UGH...this is ugly. The longer players not named Singler or Scheyer go without scoring, the more those two are gonna start trying to force it. UGH, I say again!

slower
02-10-2010, 09:45 PM
It's only a one-point game, but it feels like we're getting creamed. It's hard to find anything positive to say. Aside from Jon (and Kyle at the start), we're sucking.

You CANNOT drive on Henson without going up STRONG. Mason is the only guy that can do it.

brickey
02-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Apparently top of the backboard is in play and goal tending doesn't exist tonight.

HB TAYLOR
02-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Jump shot..jumpshot..jumpshot..blocked shot..jumpshot..jump shot..blocked shot..jump shot..wth man!

gep
02-10-2010, 09:46 PM
What's up with Nolan? 0 for 7?

DukieInBrasil
02-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Terrible shooting so far, absolutely pathetic. We're shooting less than 10% on our 2pt shots and 50% on 3s at least. Plus we've only taken 2 FTA so far. We are not playing well. Nolan in particular as well as LT are playing like they are freaking out, those 2 should be used to this by now. Just trying too hard.

dairedevil
02-10-2010, 09:47 PM
finally, we rebound the blocked shots, and get a putback!

BD80
02-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Looks like somebody talked to kyle at the break about playing defense

gep
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
amazing no team is in the bonus yet with 1:34 to go... :rolleyes:

dubcee83
02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
When Mason gets the ball, he makes Duke a threat. I cannot wait until next year when Coach K decides to take the training wheels off!

TNDukeFan
02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Anybody else think that block of Jon's floater in the lane was on the way down?

BD80
02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Gotta admire the coaching job by ol' roy, getting the refs to waive the goaltending rules for the game

slower
02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
I hope K breaks a blackboard on somebody. I mean, we all said we could lose this game, and that anything could happen, but did we really expect THIS crap?

DUKIE V(A)
Penetrate and kick. Rebound and kick. Lots of easy baskets to be had. We are missing shots we normally make.

Nolan will have a big second half. As will Scheyer and Singler.

barjwr
can't watch the halftime ceremony . . . gonna be sick

grossbus
02-10-2010, 09:54 PM
paging nolan smith, please report to the dean dome.

rotogod00
9-40...can't recall the last time i saw such poor shooting by the boys

JBJL8
Someone needs to tap Nolan on the shoulder to let him know we're playing a pretty important game tonight and we might need him to actually show up for it.

Wow...didn't like his effort at all in the first half....