PDA

View Full Version : alert: Duke Vs UNC Marathon on ESPN Classic

Kfanarmy
02-07-2010, 02:38 AM
It is late Saturday night. ECL is showing a Duke v UNC Marathon. looks like it ends about 8pm ET Sunday. Not sure if it will be repeated, but might be worth checking out...right now they are showing a 1994 game.

Bluedevil114
02-07-2010, 07:44 AM
It is late Saturday night. ECL is showing a Duke v UNC Marathon. looks like it ends about 8pm ET Sunday. Not sure if it will be repeated, but might be worth checking out...right now they are showing a 1994 game.

For sanity reasons I can only watch the Duke victories. Thank you ESPN Classic for putting the scores in the description. It is great when watching the older games because you remember where you were and who you were with when watching these classic games.

Cameron
02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Capel just hit his shot on Classic. Amazing moment. I almost started to tear up, some 15 years later. If this doesn't give you chills, nothing ever could.

Vitale's "I'm not against you, Serge, I'm not against you, Serge, I just like this basketball game. I want to watch Duke-Carolina for two weeks straight, Serge" call right before Serge Zwikker choked at the line with four seconds left, is one of the best I've heard. I am not a fan of present day Vitale by any means, but that's a great line/moment in Duke history.

Lord Ash
02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Ahhh good times; just watched, and saw myself 15 years younger a bunch of times... even got a photo:) The wife was amused as heck to see her hubby back in the good old days...

Dukeford
02-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I just watched 2 games today with Greg Newton playing.

I know he got a lof of grief during his career at Duke. But I couldn't help but notice that when he would get the ball very close to the basket, he would dunk it, and he would dunk it hard.
I also noticed that he had a turnaround jumper that worked pretty well for him when he got the ball down low with his back to the basket.

So what's the deal? I guess nowadays they just don't make them like they used to?

Delaware
02-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I watched the 2000 game at the Dean Dome and in what was the biggest supposedly rebuilding year for Duke in the last decade (with 3 early departures and 1 transfer), the talent level on the court was still amazing.... Battier, James, Carawell, Boozer and Williams with Dunleavy off the bench. 4 legit NBA players (if JWill does not get injured) and two bad-xxx. "seniors". We sure were spoiled back then...

Highlander
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Capel just hit his shot on Classic. Amazing moment. I almost started to tear up, some 15 years later. If this doesn't give you chills, nothing ever could.

Vitale's "I'm not against you, Serge, I'm not against you, Serge, I just like this basketball game. I want to watch Duke-Carolina for two weeks straight, Serge" call right before Serge Zwikker choked at the line with four seconds left, is one of the best I've heard. I am not a fan of present day Vitale by any means, but that's a great line/moment in Duke history.

See - some got to hear Billy Packer instead of Vitale. Packer's comments were "Jim, you cannot give the man that shot at the end of the game!" Gee, way to get caught up in the moment there Billy.

Luckily I didn't have to listen to either, because I was there. :)

ncexnyc
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
DVR'd the games, but only bothered to watch the 84 and 96 games. The 96 game was as heartbreaking now as it was back then when I watched it broadcast live. I started following Duke when I transfered to Ft Bragg in 85, so the 84 game was an eye opener as I was out of the country when it was actually played. The historical perspective was great, what with no 3 pt line, short shorts, shot clock, etc. Coach K looked like a young Pacino from, "Dog Day Afternoon." Tons of talent on both teams with a slew of future NBA players.