PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Georgia Tech 73, North Carolina State 71

wolfpackdevil
02-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Just finished watching a crazy finish between the yellow jackets and the wolfpack.

GT held a 15 point lead with 4 minutes left in the game, and NC State came all the way back and had a chance to win at the buzzer.

Sidney Lowe was so mad about a foul that wasn't called on the final possesion that he walked off the court without out shaking any hands.

A very heated finished, that showed that GT cannot finish, even on their home court.

Newton_14
02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I was watching as well. That was bizarre. The lead was 16 with just over 5 to go.

Tech melted down against State's press. They had 3 possessions with less than 3 minutes to go down only 1 point and on those possessions had one turnover on a bad pass by Javi to an open Smith, and 2 wide open 3's that did not go down.

I was wondering what Lowe was so upset about, then I saw the replay of the ending. It looked like Mays got slapped on the arm which caused his 3 to come up short at the buzzer.

Just a wild last 5 minutes.. Hated to see the Pack fall short..

roywhite
02-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice try by the Wolfpack; thought they might pull it out.

Lawal, Favors, Peacock...good depth, good size..Tech has some strong points, but I just don't think they have the guard play to go far.

Olympic Fan
02-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Incredible meltdown by the Jackets -- up 16 with four minutes left and end up giving State five shots in the final 90 seconds to tie or take the lead. Luckily for them Javi Gonzales was his usual self -- two turnovers and two wide open missed shots during that stretch.

I've watched a replay of that final shot about a dozen times and I'm still not sure there was contact -- if Mays was touched it was a bare touch as he started his shot -- certainly not "a slap"

You want to see a blatant no-call, watch the end of regulation of the Wake-UVa game. Tie score, Ish Smith misses a jumper and the ball rebounds to Ari Stewart. He goes up for the game-winner and the Virginia defender GRABS (not a touch or a slap, but a blatant grab) his right arm just below the elbow -- right in front of the ref, who seemed to be looking right at it. Worst no-call since Bruce Benedict swallowed his whistle in Lexington in 2002.

... it was only justice the Deacs won in OT.

As for the Jackets, if I were a Tech fan I'd be a lot more discouraged about this team after today's game than after Thursday night's loss in Durham. I've always defended Hewitt, but that is the worst coached team I've ever seen.

Newton_14
02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Incredible meltdown by the Jackets -- up 16 with four minutes left and end up giving State five shots in the final 90 seconds to tie or take the lead. Luckily for them Javi Gonzales was his usual self -- two turnovers and two wide open missed shots during that stretch.

I've watched a replay of that final shot about a dozen times and I'm still not sure there was contact -- if Mays was touched it was a bare touch as he started his shot -- certainly not "a slap"

You want to see a blatant no-call, watch the end of regulation of the Wake-UVa game. Tie score, Ish Smith misses a jumper and the ball rebounds to Ari Stewart. He goes up for the game-winner and the Virginia defender GRABS (not a touch or a slap, but a blatant grab) his right arm just below the elbow -- right in front of the ref, who seemed to be looking right at it. Worst no-call since Bruce Benedict swallowed his whistle in Lexington in 2002.

... it was only justice the Deacs won in OT.

As for the Jackets, if I were a Tech fan I'd be a lot more discouraged about this team after today's game than after Thursday night's loss in Durham. I've always defended Hewitt, but that is the worst coached team I've ever seen.

I agree with you actually. Slap may be overstating it. It did appear to bother Mays though. Either way, there is no way any ref in the country calls a foul on that play at that point in the game.

Also agree that Stewart got mugged on that play in the Wake/UVA game. Now that one you have to call but a lot of refs make the fatal mistake of letting just about anything go in that situation. Terrible. I would love to hear the Playcaller's thoughts on the Wake no call.

CDu
02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Nice try by the Wolfpack; thought they might pull it out.

Lawal, Favors, Peacock...good depth, good size..Tech has some strong points, but I just don't think they have the guard play to go far.

Yup. Their backcourt really limits them. That trio up front is as good as any trio in the country. Pair them with our backcourt, and yikes!

It doesn't help that Hewitt isn't a very good coach.