PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Boston College (Feb 6)

JBDuke
02-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Cast your vote for MOTM in today's game at Boston College.

BlueintheFace
02-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Sooooooo obviously Zoubek to me. Good God.

mike88
02-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Brian should get an award from the most good plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. Great game for him on both ends. I will be interested to see how much time he gets vs. UNC.

DukeUsul
02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Love to see Z make it the whole game with great rebounding and defense.

mgtr
02-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I voted for Scheyer -- cool under pressure! However, Zoubek should get some kind of special trophy for his game.

basket1544
02-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Zoubs is the Bedeviler this game.

Bob Green
02-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I voted for Nolan Smith. Not only did he score 21 points, he hit two very big baskets. Toward the end, when BC was chipping away at our lead, Nolan drove to the basket and scored the ball. That was two points when we really needed a basket. Additionally, at the start of the second half when BC went on a quick run, Nolan scored two points on a drive to the basket. I view both those plays as critical to today's win.

SCMatt33
02-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Scheyer just hit the two most pressure packed foul shots of the year.

Newton_14
02-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I went with Zoubs. He played really good D today and had several key offensive rebounds especially late when they were critical. Nolan and Jon were both key and deserving as well. That last 3 by Jon was huge.

If Nolan finishes or draws the foul on the play where Sanders got the block, and LT does not foul out, that game never gets as close as it did. The block on Nolan turned the game from Duke up 11 to only up 7, gave BC momentum and got the crowd back in the game. Huge. Great to see our guys step up (including Kelly and Andre) and survive that. Could have easily been a deflating loss after playing well for 35 minutes.

Good road win and good game by Zoubs!

Go Duke

JaMarcus Russell
02-06-2010, 04:32 PM
I went with Nolan for some of his great work at the end of the game, but Scheyer also did well. Zoubek would be the third choice for me since Singler wasn't so great.

Battierfan01
02-06-2010, 04:53 PM
My vote went to Nolan because I felt like he had some big baskets near the end when BC started roaring back, but man what a game by Zoub. He did a great job of defending last shot of the game.

dukebluelemur
02-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Dre... for managing to hit a free-throw despite having sat for something like 160 consecutive game minutes.

RoyalBlue08
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I went with Nolan because he was so efficient and under control on the offensive end. He didn't have the greatest defensive game though and I can certainly see the arguments for Z or Jon.

Greg_Newton
02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Zoubs for straight-up MOTM? I mean he had a great game for who he is... a couple huge o-rebs and tip-outs at the end, several nice-looking blocks and assists earlier on, and not many mistakes (not to mention 1 foul in 24 minutes!!). RP (Role Player) OTM, definitely, but let's keep some perspective... his 3 points and 6 rebounds didn't carry the team, Nolan's 21, 4 and 4 carried the team. Talk about clutch... we don't win without Nolan tonight.

IMO, when it's a close game with under 2 minutes ago, the ball should be in his hands every time the shot clock ticks down to 10-15.

SupaDave
02-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Voted for Nolan for all of the reasons Bob Green stated. But I also want to give a tip of the hat to Lance - the team's defense is remarkably different when he's out of the game.

jpfrizzle
02-06-2010, 05:02 PM
z ftw

OZZIE4DUKE
02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Nolan for MOTM. He scored early, hit two key buckets in the second half and made 2/2 FT's after we'd missed several.

Zoubs for BedevilerOTM. Lance honorable mention.

Scheyer gets an honorable mention for MOTM.

GO TO HELL, carolina, GO TO HELL!

jv001
02-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I voted for Nolan for his great first half. If not for him we may have been down 10pts at half time rather than up 10. Good game for Jon, Zoubs and Lance as well. Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Nolan MOTM, zoubs for BD.

SilkyJ
02-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Votes mirror my thoughts, Nolan and Zoubs. Nolan clearly had the better game, but Zoubs b/c he had a great game for himself and was a monster inside. Its tough to vote for some one with 3 pts and 1 shot, but his O-boards ended up being a big difference maker.

1999ballboy
02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
When I looked at the box score, I couldn't believe Zoubs only had 6 rebounds. I think that was because he had so many tips in addition to those rebounds. And even when he didn't touch the ball, he made a huge difference in the game, by altering shots and just being big. He got my vote.

walras
02-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Listening to Bob Harris talk to K in the locker room after the game, and hearing K say that Z's play at the end, showing at the 3-point line and forcing the guy to take a step to his right to attempt a really hard moving 3, was the key play of the game, I voted for Z. That the kid didn't foul, saw the situation developing (watch Z orchestrate the defense on that play from the interior of the foul lane, calling out switches and pointing), was a clear sign of a senior leader. Z all the way.

devildeac
02-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Tough choice between Jon and Nolan for me. Both had really solid games.

Jumbo
02-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Wow. I understand the Zoubek votes -- I thought he was fantastic in an understated way. (For instance, when Smith scored on that tough drive to put Duke up 6 with 1:26 left, it was a terrific finish. But he was open because Zoubek set an absolutely perfect screen to free him.) But what I can't understand is how anyone who watched the game would vote for Smith over Scheyer. To me, that's just someone reading the box score, seeing that the had what appeared to be identical stat lines (21, 4, 4) and picking Nolan because his shooting percentage was higher.
But if you watched the game, Nolan made some poor decisions with the ball, whether it was the fast break where he made a lousy pass that got intercepted or the break later where he should have given the ball up and got swatted by Sanders. He drove with his head down and missed open players. He missed the front end of a 1-and-1. He played well, but not nearly as well as Scheyer, who kept the ball moving the right way, made timely baskets (including an enormous 3 late in the game to hold B.C. off in a tight spot) and played absolutely fanastic defense that went well beyond his 3 steals, the charge he drew and the block that he somehow wasn't credited with. His help D was absolutely superb, and he helped limit BC's flex attack inside because he knew where the ball was coming and when he could leave his man to help out and anticipate. He was really, really good today.

TampaDuke
02-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Wow. I understand the Zoubek votes -- I thought he was fantastic in an understated way. (For instance, when Smith scored on that tough drive to put Duke up 6 with 1:26 left, it was a terrific finish. But he was open because Zoubek set an absolutely perfect screen to free him.) But what I can't understand is how anyone who watched the game would vote for Smith over Scheyer. To me, that's just someone reading the box score, seeing that the had what appeared to be identical stat lines (21, 4, 4) and picking Nolan because his shooting percentage was higher.
But if you watched the game, Nolan made some poor decisions with the ball, whether it was the fast break where he made a lousy pass that got intercepted or the break later where he should have given the ball up and got swatted by Sanders. He drove with his head down and missed open players. He missed the front end of a 1-and-1. He played well, but not nearly as well as Scheyer, who kept the ball moving the right way, made timely baskets (including an enormous 3 late in the game to hold B.C. off in a tight spot) and played absolutely fanastic defense that went well beyond his 3 steals, the charge he drew and the block that he somehow wasn't credited with. His help D was absolutely superb, and he helped limit BC's flex attack inside because he knew where the ball was coming and when he could leave his man to help out and anticipate. He was really, really good today.

I watched the game. I chose Smith.

Scheyer played well, but he had a few lapses as well. Personally, I can live with Smith making the occasional mistake driving into traffic. He's the only guy with the instinct and quickness to make that a succesful play on a regular basis. I think you underestimate what that potential does to the defense, especially in terms of opportunities for others. That said, I really wish Nolan would have been much more assertive on the one he had blocked. He was going to get fouled hard, and he knew it. Make that (or the free throws) and take away the block and BC's comeback attempt never materializes. Just my take, of course.

Wander
02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
But what I can't understand is how anyone who watched the game would vote for Smith over Scheyer.

Come on man, this is lame - you selectively listed all of Nolan's bad plays and all the things Scheyer did really well. Nolan made timely baskets (his long 3 changed the game from back-and-forth to BC catch-up), and Scheyer made a few poor decisions as well (trying to save the ball out of bounds under the basket, not shooting a completely open three early). And I absolutely loved that Nolan got all up in Mason's face after that stupid foul (OK, doesn't have huge relevance here, but I still liked it). They both played really well.

ricks68
02-07-2010, 01:27 PM
A perfect example of why statistics can be very misleading. The presence of Zoubek, I believe, was the difference. Great game. From setting picks, to blocking out, to altering so many of BC's shots, to just plain intelligent play did it for me.

I also think that Nolan has been equally as important as Jon has been this year. In spite of misplaying that one layup on a breakaway that everyone could see, I thibk that his year-long ability to drive (and finish) to the basket has been fantastic. While Jon has also been able to do that, due to Nolan's speed, I think he has been much more disruptive to the other teams' defenses and has been able to make those critical baskets when we really needed them.

ricks

Jumbo
02-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Come on man, this is lame - you selectively listed all of Nolan's bad plays and all the things Scheyer did really well. Nolan made timely baskets (his long 3 changed the game from back-and-forth to BC catch-up), and Scheyer made a few poor decisions as well (trying to save the ball out of bounds under the basket, not shooting a completely open three early). And I absolutely loved that Nolan got all up in Mason's face after that stupid foul (OK, doesn't have huge relevance here, but I still liked it). They both played really well.

It's "lame?" No, I think Nolan's mistakes were far more glaring an crucial than those Scheyer made. And that supposed save under his own basket was actually in the corner ... with two Duke players standing right there ... who didn't hustle to get the ball. It felt like forever before someone from B.C. came to collect the ball after Scheyer saved it. It was totally different than a guy just saving the ball directly under the hoop. And since when is passing up an open three a "poor decision?"
I agree with you in loving the way Smith got in Mason's face, though, and absolutely hated Mason's reaction -- he needs to listen to the veteran players and stop missing so many assignments and committing needless, selfish fouls.

I also think that Nolan has been equally as important as Jon has been this year. In spite of misplaying that one layup on a breakaway that everyone could see, I thibk that his year-long ability to drive (and finish) to the basket has been fantastic. While Jon has also been able to do that, due to Nolan's speed, I think he has been much more disruptive to the other teams' defenses and has been able to make those critical baskets when we really needed them.

ricks

Just because Nolan is faster than Jon does not mean he's a better player. Here's what Smith does better than Scheyer: Pressures the basketball (on the ball better) and gets to the bucket. That's it. Scheyer is the better wing defender and help defender, passer, ballhandler, rebounder, free throw shooter, etc. Most importantly, Scheyer plays with his head up at all times, while Smith still misses open teammates when he drives, draws the D, and has a chance to dish. Look, I love both of the guys, and they're both having incredible seasons, but Jon has been the better, more important player over the course of the season, and was the better player yesterday.
BTW, while everyone talks about Smith's 3-pointer to beat the shot clock as being a momentum-turner, how about Scheyer's 7 straight points to end the first half which turned a 3-point lead into a 10-point cushion?

Wander
02-07-2010, 05:28 PM
And since when is passing up an open three a "poor decision?"

When Scheyer has a completely open look from three, the correct decision is for him to take that shot (obviously, exceptions for if we're looking to run stall ball, etc). He usually does so it's not some super terrible flaw like Mason consistently missing defensive assignments, but yes, I think it counts as a poor decision the few times it happens.

BTW, while everyone talks about Smith's 3-pointer to beat the shot clock as being a momentum-turner, how about Scheyer's 7 straight points to end the first half which turned a 3-point lead into a 10-point cushion?

Absolutely, they were both great. Hence why I say they both played really well.