PDA

View Full Version : Roy, Roy, Roy

Classof06
05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
You really did it with this one:

“In our situation, it’s not changing very much because North Carolina is such a good school and the requirements to get in are pretty darned difficult. I don’t think any other school in the ACC has as much difficulty as we do getting kids in, even Duke. They talk a big game.”

Probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard Roy Williams say. Not only does Roy have limiited knowledge on Duke's academic requirements (he's never been associated with the school), he goes out of his way to insinuate that Duke somehow exaggerates it's academic reputation. Shelden Williams graduated with a 3.7 GPA and Trajan Langdon majored in Math. Melvin Scott got arrested for assaulting a female student and Ed Cota beat a student into $3000 worth of medical bills. Even if Cota wasn't there during Williams' tenure, I doubt UNC changed their admissions standards once Roy got there. And in reference to the article on the front page, if UNC football has so many questionable recruits, why should one believe the school wouldn't make concessions for a much smaller but infinitely more popular basketball team?

freedevil
05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I always thought Roy was a man of consistency. But in the past few months he's said Carolina has the highest academic standards of anyone and at the same time, after the Virginia Tech game, he had this to say:

"If you saw the game Saturday, Ty’s busting down the court, he tries to throw it cross court, Jamon Gordon ran and made a great steal. But when you turn it over dribbling the ball from behind, you’re dribbling the ball and the guy comes in and steals the ball from behind, hell, there are only five guys. If you count: 1, 2, 3, 4, hell he’s not at the popcorn stand, he’s coming in behind you. So those turnovers are stupid. I don’t want to call my players stupid, but I said they’re stupid. You can’t do those kinds of things. I don’t mind turnovers as long as we’re getting something accomplished."

zingit
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Don't forget this one:

"I told them to go home and for Christmas ask for some brains," Williams said after the second-ranked Tar Heels beat No. 22 Tennessee 101-87 on Friday night in the third-place game of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

Doesn't sound like the highest academic standards to me! :rolleyes:

hurleyfor3
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I believe there ARE a few parts of the country where it is at least as hard to get into UNC as it is to get into Duke. Atlanta and much of Virginia come to mind.

This was a long time ago now, but I knew people from high school who got into Yale and Princeton but were rejected by UNC. (It is rare for out of state kids to apply to both Duke and UNC.) That out-of-state quota is a b***h.

CDu
05-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I believe there ARE a few parts of the country where it is at least as hard to get into UNC as it is to get into Duke. Atlanta and much of Virginia come to mind.

This was a long time ago now, but I knew people from high school who got into Yale and Princeton but were rejected by UNC. (It is rare for out of state kids to apply to both Duke and UNC.) That out-of-state quota is a b***h.

to normal students. I'm pretty sure the athletes get their invites long before the out-of-state quota is reached (considering they frequently commit long before senior students apply).

But you are right: UNC is no picnic for non-athlete out-of-state students. But for athletes, the bar is almost certainly still higher at Duke.

Classof06
05-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I applied to both schools and got in from Ohio, so I realize how great of an institution UNC is. That being said, I doubt UNC holds its athletes to the same standards as regular students. Even if they did, I just don't see that bar ever being higher than it is set at Duke or even consistently on the same level. That was a very baseless claim by Roy.

nicktonyg22
05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
UNC's admissions system is actually pretty terrible as far as admitting the best possible class. By making sure that 82% of their incoming class is from the state of North Carolina, they really weaken their class. Plenty of qualified out of state students (some who even get into Duke) are rejected while students who really do not deserve it are admitted from in state. I went through this admissions process only a year ago, and its tough to see out of state friends get rejected while students with Tywon Lawson-like IQ's get admitted from in-state. Oh and by the way I was admitted to UNC but not to Duke. That's why I go to Vanderbilt.

GTHC!

cspan37421
05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Completely agreee with Classof06. I know tarheel undergrads love to point to all sorts of unnamed out-of-state Dukies who were rejected by UNC, but I got in both from out of state (KY). There may be some cases but I knew of none. Carolina's out of state population is comparable in size to Duke's; it is the size of the NC student base that differs so much.

05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Obviously in-state students should have an easier time getting in to UNC. It is a state school and their parents have paid taxes in North Carolina. That's the idea of a state school. I would imagine that very few Duke or UNC players could actually get into either school on academic merit alone. A couple come to mind (Battier etc) but not many.

calltheobvious
05-14-2007, 09:41 PM
UNC's admissions system is actually pretty terrible as far as admitting the best possible class. By making sure that 82% of their incoming class is from the state of North Carolina, they really weaken their class. Plenty of qualified out of state students (some who even get into Duke) are rejected while students who really do not deserve it are admitted from in state. I went through this admissions process only a year ago, and its tough to see out of state friends get rejected while students with Tywon Lawson-like IQ's get admitted from in-state. Oh and by the way I was admitted to UNC but not to Duke. That's why I go to Vanderbilt.

GTHC!

From the looks of things, it seems the guys and gals at 2138 Campus Drive made the right decision.

hughgs
05-14-2007, 10:22 PM

GTHC!

Is the 82% true for UNC-CH or for the entire UNC system? There are a large number of schools who fall under the UNC umbrella. I saw a chart once that listed 20+ schools that are part of UNC. NCCU and NCSU are two examples. So, 82% of the UNC student population may be reserved for in-state students but that 82% may not apply to the Chapel Hill campus. In fact, I would be willing to bet that as an NC resident that UNC would have to place you in one of the campuses, not necessarily the one of your choice.

dukeblue33
05-14-2007, 11:09 PM
two of my friends really prove the whole out of state thing wrong... graduated from high school in 2005, both from northern va.
case 1: rejected from duke, into unc, waitlisted at UVA.
case 2: waitlisted at duke, into unc, into uva.

i have yet to talk to someone at duke who was rejected from unc... however im sure those duke students would be too embarassed to share that information anyways ;)

cspan37421
05-14-2007, 11:36 PM
UNC can be very selective about their out of state students, so I think their top students are probably excellent.

But if we're comparing median students, I don't think there's a contest. There wasn't 20 yrs ago and if anything Duke has only become more selective compared to state funded schools. Many folks who got in when I went say they don't think they'd get in today. I'm not sure. I was from KY so I might have had brought some geographical diversification to the table that might still appeal to the admissions staff today.

nicktonyg22
05-15-2007, 01:58 AM
From the looks of things, it seems the guys and gals at 2138 Campus Drive made the right decision.

calltheobvious....what is that supposed to mean?

dukemomLA
05-15-2007, 02:49 AM
What an insane comment/quote from ol' Roy. What was he thinking? Comparing Duke to UNC as an elite University. Hogwash!

uncgdukie
05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I remember a situation two years ago concearning Mike Copeland, who is currently on the Tarheel roster. If I remember correctly he had to go to Summer school in order to graduate high school. He got the grades he needed and was admitted to UNC and allowed to join the team. I don't remember the specifics but it certainly seems to me that this is a good example of the bar being set lower for athletes at UNC than at Duke.

jjasper0729
05-15-2007, 11:47 AM
To reply to one of the posts above, there are 16 universities in the University of North Carolina system. UNC-Chapel Hill is the flagship of the system. as the oldest in the state.

As far as percentages taken from North Carolina, I don't have those. I am currently a NC resident and was a resident when I applied to college (back in '91-'92). I only applied to Duke, early decision, and got in in Dec. of 1991. I didn't need to apply anywhere else. Most of the people who graduated with honors at my high school (in rural, southeastern NC, redneck heaven) went to college. The bulk went to UNC, a couple went to NCSU, one went to Elon and a few stayed at UNC-W.

My son is graduating from high school this year and he is going to UNC-G. A lot of his classmates at Cary High will be going to UNC or NCSU. A few will attend Duke I think (he could have gone, but he sold himself short, that's a different topic).

As a Duke homer, I'd say that the athletic admissions requirements for UNC-CH are not as stringent as Duke. Also knowing some people that went to Chapel Hell, I'd say that's the case in general.

pamtar
05-15-2007, 05:54 PM
The majority of my high-school friends who went to UNC were B students. The four who went to Duke were in the top seven in my graduating class. I know a ton of UNC grads and dropouts. However, meeting a Duke grad is rare. Duke dose not exaggerate their academic standards, the pissed off Holes who didnt get in do that for them.

throatybeard
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
This sort of thread exemplifies why I am frequently embarrassed about my Duke affiliation. :(

phaedrus
05-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Why, because we recognize the quality of our education? Should we pretend that we think Duke is academically equivalent to every other school in North Carolina?

hughgs
05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
To reply to one of the posts above, there are 16 universities in the University of North Carolina system. UNC-Chapel Hill is the flagship of the system. as the oldest in the state.

As far as percentages taken from North Carolina, I don't have those. I am currently a NC resident and was a resident when I applied to college (back in '91-'92). I only applied to Duke, early decision, and got in in Dec. of 1991. I didn't need to apply anywhere else. Most of the people who graduated with honors at my high school (in rural, southeastern NC, redneck heaven) went to college. The bulk went to UNC, a couple went to NCSU, one went to Elon and a few stayed at UNC-W.

My son is graduating from high school this year and he is going to UNC-G. A lot of his classmates at Cary High will be going to UNC or NCSU. A few will attend Duke I think (he could have gone, but he sold himself short, that's a different topic).

As a Duke homer, I'd say that the athletic admissions requirements for UNC-CH are not as stringent as Duke. Also knowing some people that went to Chapel Hell, I'd say that's the case in general.

Sorry about the mistaken number of UNC campuses. I'm still trying to figure out where I got my number from, but I stand corrected.

However, I have yet to see anything that suggests that UNC-CH is easier to get into than Duke. How about digging up some average SAT scores? That would at least stop people (and I'm not addressing you in particular, since you've already shot me down :)) from appearing elitist without any facts.

And, one thing that people seem to forget is that while Duke may be any overall good choice, it isn't the ideal choice depending on what one majors in. If a high school student would ask me which NC school would be better for engineering, as opposed to a consulting/engineering, I would tell him to go the NC State.

The Gordog
05-16-2007, 10:21 AM
two of my friends really prove the whole out of state thing wrong... graduated from high school in 2005, both from northern va.
case 1: rejected from duke, into unc, waitlisted at UVA.
case 2: waitlisted at duke, into unc, into uva.

i have yet to talk to someone at duke who was rejected from unc... however im sure those duke students would be too embarassed to share that information anyways ;)

UVA has to hold a lottery for Northern Virginia applicants who are qualified. Otherwise ther would be very few spaces for students from the rest of the sate. So the fact that they did or did not get into UVA is an unreliable barometer of talent.

RelativeWays
05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Why, because we recognize the quality of our education? Should we pretend that we think Duke is academically equivalent to every other school in North Carolina?

I don't think its so much extolling the benefits of a Duke education as it is the condescending attitude towards the state schools and how they're being dragged down academically by the in-state student quota. Last I checked, there were afair amount of out-of-state students enrolled in the UNC system, even UNC-Greensboro had quite a few students from the northeast and midwest. If the academic standards for those universities are too low for your standards, then the out of state contingent is doing little to bolster the bottom line. I think what Throatybeard is getting at is that Duke students have a stigma of being elitist pricks who seldom if ever would associate with the plebeian townies of Durham or the in-state hicks of NC in general. I've only met a few Duke students so I don't really have a judgement, but this thread isn't doing much to dispell that notion. I will say that some Duke students seem to harbor a palpable contempt of Duke fans who have no
affiliation, academic or otherwise, to the university. Duke students obviously have a special bond with their athletic teams, but thats an attitude that needs to hit the bricks.

Classof06
05-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I will say that some Duke students seem to harbor a palpable contempt of Duke fans who have no affiliation, academic or otherwise, to the university. Duke students obviously have a special bond with their athletic teams, but thats an attitude that needs to hit the bricks.

I'm sure you have experiences as evidence, but as a former Duke student, I haven't seen, heard or experienced anything to support that claim. Personally, if you're a Duke fan, you're cool with me. With so many people who hate Duke, I don't see why Duke fans would try and distinguish amongst one another, especially when so many of my friends at Duke were Duke bball fans waaaay before they had any affiliation with the school.

jjasper0729
05-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Sorry about the mistaken number of UNC campuses. I'm still trying to figure out where I got my number from, but I stand corrected.

However, I have yet to see anything that suggests that UNC-CH is easier to get into than Duke. How about digging up some average SAT scores? That would at least stop people (and I'm not addressing you in particular, since you've already shot me down :)) from appearing elitist without any facts.

And, one thing that people seem to forget is that while Duke may be any overall good choice, it isn't the ideal choice depending on what one majors in. If a high school student would ask me which NC school would be better for engineering, as opposed to a consulting/engineering, I would tell him to go the NC State.

No need to be sorry about the numbers. They are actually wanting to add a 17th school in Rocky Mount (NC Wesleyan right now).

You are correct about the career path that one wants to follow dictating where they should apply. I would agree that if you are interested in agriculture or engineering/computers, then NCSU is absolutely the right place to go. If you want to go into nursing, then UNC-G or ECU perhaps might be a better setting (although Duke has a very good Nursing school).

As far as the academic standards for UNC, bear in mind taht I was referring to people applying 15 years ago. that is a LONG time ago now. There are quite a number of differences. My son's girlfriend applied to UNC and NCSU and only got into NCSU, not UNC so it's possible things have changed all over.

My son wants to major in history (and he should have applied to Elon, but again, another topic) so UNC-G is quite good for that as well. Goes to your point about your study focus.

jjasper0729
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm sure you have experiences as evidence, but as a former Duke student, I haven't seen, heard or experienced anything to support that claim. Personally, if you're a Duke fan, you're cool with me. With so many people who hate Duke, I don't see why Duke fans would try and distinguish amongst one another, especially when so many of my friends at Duke were Duke bball fans waaaay before they had any affiliation with the school.

Gonna have to ditto this one. I can count on two hands the number of people from my hometown (southeastern NC) who have gone to Duke since around 1990 (including myself). I'm cool with any Duke fan since when I do go home, it's either UNC, NCSU or ECU people that I have to deal with and it's not always pleasant.