PDA

View Full Version : Most-Hated College Players

KYtotheCore
02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Don't Blame the Messenger . . . check again in a few years; Cousins' presence on this list wouldn't surprise most people. Still interesting though I'm not sure what the criteria are.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/2009/12/top-10-most-despised-college-basketball-players-part-ii/

Lord Ash
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Apparently being white (or even half-white) may be a pre-requisite?

An old conversation, to be sure... there are a lot of factors that go into being hated... attitude, ability, and some other fun societal issues, that Duke has just happened to have had in spades. But I'll tell you what... no one ever hates the player from the team that came in 7th.

CDu
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't Blame the Messenger . . . check again in a few years; Cousins' presence on this list wouldn't surprise most people. Still interesting though I'm not sure what the criteria are.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/2009/12/top-10-most-despised-college-basketball-players-part-ii/

Cousins won't be at Kentucky long enough to get a hated rep.

KYtotheCore
02-05-2010, 08:20 PM
The Laetner/Pitino video is hilarious!

superdave
02-05-2010, 08:27 PM
How can I vote for Dean Smith? He played at Kansas right? I'm pretty sure he's also the anti-christ. No, seriously. The end is near.

BobbyFan
02-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow - I had never seen the video of the 1972 brawl between Ohio State and Minnesota (#7 on the list).

JG Nothing
02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Apparently being white (or even half-white) may be a pre-requisite?

No. You obviously did not look at 6 through 10. Still, being white and playing at Duke apparently helps.

killerleft
02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Art Heyman? Art Heyman? That list is nothing more than a Tar Heel wish list. Seriously, Art Heyman from 1963 is on an all-time list of hated college players? Even if he deserved it, nobody but a Tar Heel would have him on a hate list.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Art Heyman? Art Heyman? That list is nothing more than a Tar Heel wish list. Seriously, Art Heyman from 1963 is on an all-time list of hated college players? Even if he deserved it, nobody but a Tar Heel would have him on a hate list.

Based on the sort of things described as worthy of inclusion on this list, where's Deiter Krause's name?

roywhite
02-05-2010, 09:57 PM

What a joke. With 3 Duke players in the top 5, and the spelling of "Dukie" in the typical TarHole way in Art's profile, it's obvious that this is a Tar Heel creation.

Where to start with notable omissons?
Mahktar Ndiaye?
Tyler Hansborough?
John Roche of South Carolina?

Blechhh...

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2010, 10:36 PM
What a joke. With 3 Duke players in the top 5, and the spelling of "Dukie" in the typical TarHole way in Art's profile, it's obvious that this is a Tar Heel creation.

Mahktar Ndiaye?
Tyler Hansborough?

Blechhh...

Go back farther in time......Deiter Krause,the spitter...... spit in his opponents' faces, picked fights, sent Art Heyman to the hospital after freshman game.

John Roche is a good nominee.

Newton_14
02-05-2010, 10:37 PM

Mahktar Ndiaye?
Tyler Hansborough?

Blechhh...

Let's see, there's J.R. Reid, Phil Ford, Mike O'Koren, Mitch Kupchak, etc etc from tar hole land,

and then one of my all-time favorites, Aminu Timberlake...

RockLobster
02-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Honestly, we're still at the point where we're surprised to see a "hated players" list dominated by Dukies on a non-Duke website? Who cares?

DevilHorns
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Honestly, we're still at the point where we're surprised to see a "hated players" list dominated by Dukies on a non-Duke website? Who cares?

Sorry couldn't help it... but.... still a Delhomme fan? time for him to go (I shouldnt be talking too much im a dolphins fan, though with luck in the draft over the next few years, we could become an elite team, ok... a lot of luck)

RockLobster
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Jake's a good leader and a personable guy, even if he's been struggling lately.

Back on topic - I hope that Greivis Vasquez finds his way onto a similar list in the future. I don't recall anyone even from Chapel Hill who exuded a similar amount of toolishness.

DevilHorns
02-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Jake's a good leader and a personable guy, even if he's been struggling lately.

Back on topic - I hope that Greivis Vasquez finds his way onto a similar list in the future. I don't recall anyone even from Chapel Hill who exuded a similar amount of toolishness.

Rashad Mccants = toolishness

RockLobster
02-06-2010, 12:08 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zlWdzCD9S44/SvjUIcCLYjI/AAAAAAAAA8M/P-3oX_bFitE/s400/RashadMcCantsDynastySign-thumb.jpg

^^Yeah, this is pretty toolish...McCants is by far my least favorite Heel in recent years, though I think even he doesn't come close to Vasquez.

Battery
02-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Somebody correlate that "most hated list" to players who are proven winners and maybe it'll be worth a read. Snore.

Chris4UNC
02-06-2010, 05:21 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zlWdzCD9S44/SvjUIcCLYjI/AAAAAAAAA8M/P-3oX_bFitE/s400/RashadMcCantsDynastySign-thumb.jpg

^^Yeah, this is pretty toolish...McCants is by far my least favorite Heel in recent years, though I think even he doesn't come close to Vasquez.

What is all of this being white and playing for Duke stuff? I have witnessed this from so many Duke fans. I have heard many white Duke fans make comments along the lines of how they like Duke because they have alot of white boys. Duke's coaching staff recruits many of the same players as other schools in the area and nationally. I am so tired of hearing how the African-American kids end up going somewhere else because they can't handle Duke's academics. Folks, I never had the opportunity to go to college. I know from my own relatives that have attended every major university in North Carolina that they are all challenging. I have had relatives that have attended both UNC and Duke. Yes, Duke's admittance standards are higher but, according to them, once you are in it is really no harder than any other school. The last ranking I read showed Duke as the 8th best university in the nation while UNC came in 23rd. That list included all private and public universities. That is something we can be proud of in North Carolina. We have great universities here in this state.

Chris4UNC
02-06-2010, 05:24 AM

I for one did not like Chris Corchiani from N.C. State.

oldnavy
02-06-2010, 07:14 AM
What is all of this being white and playing for Duke stuff? I have witnessed this from so many Duke fans. I have heard many white Duke fans make comments along the lines of how they like Duke because they have alot of white boys. Duke's coaching staff recruits many of the same players as other schools in the area and nationally. I am so tired of hearing how the African-American kids end up going somewhere else because they can't handle Duke's academics. Folks, I never had the opportunity to go to college. I know from my own relatives that have attended every major university in North Carolina that they are all challenging. I have had relatives that have attended both UNC and Duke. Yes, Duke's admittance standards are higher but, according to them, once you are in it is really no harder than any other school. The last ranking I read showed Duke as the 8th best university in the nation while UNC came in 23rd. That list included all private and public universities. That is something we can be proud of in North Carolina. We have great universities here in this state.
If in fact you have heard people say things like this, then they are idiots and do not represent the Duke fans that I know.

sagegrouse
02-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Jeff McInnes

sagegrouse

hq2
02-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Let's go with most hatable Carolina players; that's an easy topic. My list would
include:

Tyler Handsblow
Rasheed Wallace
Eric Montross
George Karl
Larry Brown

Any other additions?

CameronBornAndBred
02-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I like that no holes made the list, and that it's flooded with Dukies. To me, there is some pride in that, it means that our players have been relevant beyond their stats. I look at it more like a badge of honor as opposed to true hatred. I'm really surprised Grevis isn't on there, he's earned it.

OldPhiKap
02-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Tom Sheehy. Still.

-- OPK

Son of Mojo
02-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Let's go with most hatable Carolina players; that's an easy topic. My list would
include:

Tyler Handsblow
Rasheed Wallace
Eric Montross
George Karl
Larry Brown

Any other additions?

On personal levels:

Mahktar Ndiyae
Michael Jordan
Ed Cota
Jeff McInnis
Scott Williams
Vince Carter
Kris Lang
King Rice
Danny Green
Rick Fox
Matt Doherty (BTW, check out his pic on SMU's website--he's gone from looking like Sam the Eagle to Christopher Lee........just give him red eyes and fangs)

On how well they played against us:

Sean May
Ty Lawson
Antawn Jamison

moonpie23
02-06-2010, 10:48 AM
hmm....let's see...

sean may
vince carter
sean may
vince carter
sean may
vince carter
sean may
vince carter
mak-tar-dye
sean may
vince carter
ty lawson.

yeah, that about does it...

Lord Ash
02-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Calling you out on this B.S. In fact, I have ever heard the OPPOSITE from Duke fans, but I have never once heard a single Duke fan EVER say anything like that... EVER.

sagegrouse
02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
include:

Tyler Handsblow
Rasheed Wallace
Eric Montross
George Karl
Larry Brown

Any other additions?

I mean this kindly, but I will state it harshly: You have no idea what you are talking about. Hatable players should start with those Carolina players who are totally detested by their COACHES AND TEAMMATES.

That list includes:

Jeff McInnes, captain
Rashad McCants, alternate captain
Makhtar Ndiaye
Vince Carter
Matt Doherty, player-coach

sagegrouse
'BTW this notion that Art Heyman was generally diliked is just so much nonsense. First, how could you hate a guy that looked like an overgrown Jerry Lewis, ca. 1962? Second, the fans would flock to the arena to see an All-American, especially a colorful one. My HS classmates who went to Climsun and South Kerlina bragged to the heavens about seeing Heyman play.

'UNC hated him because of his apostasy. (What do you expect from a LI Jew recruited by a NYC Irish Catholic, daily mass at St. Patrick's:)?) The criminal complaint filed by a UNC alum for assault on a cheerleader was total hokum, and I saw it clearly. When the Duke ran off the court at the Indoor Stadium, a male UNC cheerleader ran up in front of Art and yelled something. Artie pushed him aside and kept running. It wasn't an especially hard push. I didn't see the Heyman-Larry Brown fracas amidst all the confusion, and I don't believe a word Art said about hitting Frank McGuire in the groin.'

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I mean this kindly, but I will state it harshly: You have no idea what you are talking about. Hatable players should start with those Carolina players who are totally detested by their COACHES AND TEAMMATES.

That list includes:

Jeff McInnes, captain
Rashad McCants, alternate captain
Makhtar Ndiaye
Vince Carter
Matt Doherty, player-coach

sagegrouse
'BTW this notion that Art Heyman was generally diliked is just so much nonsense. First, how could you hate a guy that looked like an overgrown Jerry Lewis, ca. 1962? Second, the fans would flock to the arena to see an All-American, especially a colorful one. My HS classmates who went to Climsun and South Kerlina bragged to the heavens about seeing Heyman play.

'UNC hated him because of his apostasy. (What do you expect from a LI Jew recruited by a NYC Irish Catholic, daily mass at St. Patrick's:)?) The criminal complaint filed by a UNC alum for assault on a cheerleader was total hokum, and I saw it clearly. When the Duke ran off the court at the Indoor Stadium, a male UNC cheerleader ran up in front of Art and yelled something. Artie pushed him aside and kept running. It wasn't an especially hard push. I didn't see the Heyman-Larry Brown fracas amidst all the confusion, and I don't believe a word Art said about hitting Frank McGuire in the groin.'

Addendum to the discussion of Art Heyman and what went on while he was at Duke: no one except Dukies seems to want to acknowledge the garbage treatment he received from other players and fans on and off the court. Some of it would be classified as assault if it happened off the court.

As I've said before, those who had the good fortune to see Artie play know that what we saw on the court could be electric, magical. He projected a presence that put Duke in the national spotlight. He brought a rare passion and competitive attitude seldom equaled since.

flyingdutchdevil
02-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Why are people so offended by that list? Can you argue that there were two players in the last 20 years more hated than JJ and Christian? Let's see - 4 year players, both very cocky (and I see this as a good thing), played for a winning program, played well away from Cameron... it's no wonder that everyone hates them. That list could be created by anyone who isn't a Duke fan (and not a Hole fan like some suggested). Hell, if JJ and Christian were in Carolina blue, they would be hated as well.

Also, being hated in sports without breaking the rules is always a good thing. MJ was hated by all diehard, non-Bulls fans. Everyone in Europe outside of Real Madrid fans hate Christian Ronaldo. Being the best at what you do will always garner both praise and hatred. It's pure and simple human nature.

slower
02-06-2010, 01:51 PM
hmm....let's see...

sean may
vince carter
sean may
vince carter
sean may
vince carter
sean may
vince carter
mak-tar-dye
sean may
vince carter
ty lawson.

yeah, that about does it...

Cota

moonpie23
02-06-2010, 01:52 PM

total crap chris......absolute total crap.....and a major troll...

dukestheheat
02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I did not like King Rice. At all.

I like Greivis, however. He is crazy, there is no doubt about it, but he plays with such heart and verve. I love it when he's taunting the Crazies and he actually believes what he's saying. The Crazies love it, too, I think. He's probably a Crazie favorite.

dth.

Indoor66
02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
How about Dick Grubar and those satanic eyes?

dukebluelemur
02-06-2010, 04:52 PM
No votes for Chris Paul? I've never begrudged someone's post college success more.

Oh, that's right, the national media still thinks he's a saint.:mad:

Sandman
02-06-2010, 08:41 PM
And I'm sure all the oldtimers fondly remember John Ribock(?) the Enforcer for Frank McQuire at Soutn CaROLINA -- HE HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST HATED PLAYERS OF ALL TIME!

Spret42
02-06-2010, 09:12 PM
If you don't think over the years there have been white Duke fans who gravitated towards the team because it had white players you are just being willfully ignorant. Especially in the early years of Duke's success when it's foils on the national stage were UNLV, Michigan and Georgetown. Of course there were fans who liked them because their best players were white. I remember the pure joy in the faces of all my friends, on Cape Cod Massachusetts in the 9th grade, who became Duke fans the Monday after the regional final where a freshman Laettner outplayed a freshman Alonzo Mourning.

Stop trying to divorce basketball from race. They go together like.....well I honestly can't think of any two things more intertwined.

I get the feeling that MOST of the folks here attended Duke and would be friends with other fans who attended the school and in that group very few people would have chosen Duke due to the skin tone of the athletes. It wouldn't be the way they viewed the team. However in the general basketball viewing public, that kind of thing happens all the time and has been happening for years.

And it is a two way street. I grew up rooting for Georgetown because my father was black and he liked John Thompson and knew Thompson was an Auerbach guy and Auerbach gave opportunities to blacks in basketball. It doesn't make someone bad if they do this. It makes them human.

Indoor66
02-06-2010, 09:30 PM
And I'm sure all the oldtimers fondly remember John Ribock(?) the Enforcer for Frank McQuire at Soutn CaROLINA -- HE HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST HATED PLAYERS OF ALL TIME!

Also John Roche and his memorable kick of Dick DiVenzio.

BD80
02-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Who was the heel -sg- who had a mom that had a "job" with the agency her son eventually signed with, and when he went pro was an incredible bust?

I didn't like him.

moonpie23
02-06-2010, 09:50 PM
that would Joe Forte......who still has his half of the ACC POY trophy.....who should, in all fairness, send it to it's rightfull owner, Shane Battier...

Newton_14
02-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Who was the heel -sg- who had a mom that had a "job" with the agency her son eventually signed with, and when he went pro was an incredible bust?

I didn't like him.

I believe that was Joseph Forte if I recall correctly.

Cameron
02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Most hated ACC (non-UNC):

Deron Washington and Sean Marshall take the cake. It's Washington in the lead, and it's not even close.

I like Greivis, however. He is crazy, there is no doubt about it, but he plays with such heart and verve. I love it when he's taunting the Crazies and he actually believes what he's saying. The Crazies love it, too, I think. He's probably a Crazie favorite.

dth.

Agreed. I actually love the game of Greivis Vasquez. The passion and love for the sport this kid has makes me smile every time I see him take the court. Part of this could be because I grew up loving players of this same breed -- Christian Laettner, Chris Collins, J.J. Redick and my all-time favorite professional athlete, Reggie Miller. And part because I had/have that same desire of the game. Basketball consumes my life. It did as a player and it does now as a fan. He comes across as pompous and just plain mean on the floor at times, but so what. So did J.J., Christian and even Larry Bird.

Vasquez took me when he went straight Miller Time on the Heels last winter, striking Tyler for 30 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds. His team had been beaten and left for dead, and then he took the heart right out of No. 1 Carolina and buried it underneath Roy's feet. That's the type of player I'd choose on my side every time. He believes he's great, and I like that. At least he's honest.

I'll always be gracious to Vasquez after the kind words he said of K last season. When asked whether he still believed Cameron was "his house," Vasquez said something to the effect, "That's ridiculous. I was a cocky freshman at the time, enjoying the banter with the Crazies. This is Coach K's house. He's the greatest of all-time. I'm just happy to play here."

theAlaskanBear
02-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Rashad McCants.
Tyler Hansbrough.
Steve Blake.
Chris Paul.

1999ballboy
02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
My all-hated ACC team might be:

Makhtar Ndiaye
Deron Washington
Rashad McCants
Greivis Vazquez
Steve Blake

Kenny Inge, Kris Lang, Nik Caner-Medley, Brendan Haywood, and whoever that Clemson guy was who hacked Trajan Langdon make my second team.

moonpie23
02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
i have never hated on greivis......now steve blake? oh yeahhhh...

OldPhiKap
02-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I am going to take a point of personal privilege and vote for Sheehy again.

Now, and forever.

(although Makhtar is the most detestable).