PDA

View Full Version : ACC Mid-season Awards

JDev
02-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Now that we are (roughly) at the halfway point of the ACC season, who gets the accolades at this point?

POY - Sylven Landesberg: UVA has been the pleasant surprise of the ACC season and he has been the largest reason why, getting 17 ppg, 5 reb., and 3 assists a game. Without his consistent play there is no way they hang around the top of the standings this long

ROY - Derrick Favors: He is 1st in almost every major category among ACC rookies

DPOY - Lance Thomas: This one is tough, and I may be being a homer, but he has brought energy and effort and hasn't given some really good ACC bigs fits, despite giving up size in virtually every match-up.

All Conference 1st Team:
Landesberg, UVA
Scheyer, Duke
Aminu, Wake
Booker, Clemson
Vasquez, UM

2nd Team:
Delany, VT
Smith, NCSU
Smith, Duke
Singler, Duke
Lawal, GT

3rd Team:
Trapani, BC
Davis, UNC
Smith, Wake
Alabi, FSU
Thompson, UNC

flyingdutchdevil
02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Great list. One modifications: Delany needs to be 1st team. Not only is he the leading scorer, but he is like Vasquez in the sense that without him, his team would be awful awful awful. I'd replace Delany with Aminu.

roywhite
02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Pretty good list.

Coach of the Year---Tony Bennett at UVa, followed by Gary Williams at Maryland.

duke4life32182
02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Looks good to me.

superdave
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I like your list. Except I'd probably drop Deon Thompson from 3rd team. He's under-performed and is a defensive liability.

I dont have anyone to replace him with, I'd just say he's 2/3 of what he ought to be this year. No leadership out of him.

DukeBlood
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with you for the most part. It's just hard not to see Scheyer as POY of the year, Since he is in the running for NPOY. Has anyone ever won NPOY but not CPOY?

RoyalBlue08
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree with you for the most part. It's just hard not to see Scheyer as POY of the year, Since he is in the running for NPOY. Has anyone ever won NPOY but not CPOY?

Yes, none other than our own J Will in 2000-01.

jimrowe0
02-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Great list. One modifications: Delany needs to be 1st team. Not only is he the leading scorer, but he is like Vasquez in the sense that without him, his team would be awful awful awful. I'd replace Delany with Aminu.

Agreed. And replace POY with Scheyers name.

2nd in ACC in scoring
1st in ACC in free throw percentage
1st in the Nation in assist/turnover ratio
3rd in the ACC in assists
8th in the ACC in steals

Landesberg
5th in ACC in scoring
5th in ACC in free throw percentage
18th in ACC in Assist
Only has a slightly higher shotting percentage than Scheyer and thats it.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Didn't Joe Forte win ACC POTY in 2001 while BOTH Jason Williams and Shane Battier won NCAA POTY awards?

DukeBlood
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
1st in the ACC in three point shooting

By that do you mean Three's made? I believe he is at 59(made) of 150(attempted) now.

jimrowe0
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes made sorry, but he is still shooting about 40% which is 14th in the ACC. Landesburg isn't even on the list.

CDu
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM

I think with the team's recent slump and Scheyer's dropoff in A/TO ratio, his rep has fallen a bit nationally. I think he'll have trouble winning the honor at the national level at the moment unless he and the team bounce back down the stretch. At the moment, I think Landesburg is an appropriate ACC POY, with Scheyer and Vazquez next. By the end of the season, that could be completely different. A lot can happen in a month.

CDu
02-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Now that we are (roughly) at the halfway point of the ACC season, who gets the accolades at this point?

POY - Sylven Landesberg: UVA has been the pleasant surprise of the ACC season and he has been the largest reason why, getting 17 ppg, 5 reb., and 3 assists a game. Without his consistent play there is no way they hang around the top of the standings this long

ROY - Derrick Favors: He is 1st in almost every major category among ACC rookies

DPOY - Lance Thomas: This one is tough, and I may be being a homer, but he has brought energy and effort and hasn't given some really good ACC bigs fits, despite giving up size in virtually every match-up.

All Conference 1st Team:
Landesberg, UVA
Scheyer, Duke
Aminu, Wake
Booker, Clemson
Vasquez, UM

2nd Team:
Delany, VT
Smith, NCSU
Smith, Duke
Singler, Duke
Lawal, GT

3rd Team:
Trapani, BC
Davis, UNC
Smith, Wake
Alabi, FSU
Thompson, UNC

Great job on the list. I have a couple of differences, but I mostly agree.

I'd bump Thompson from the list and replace him with Mike Scott from UVa or Chris Singleton from FSU. I might even bump Trapani for Scott or Singleton as well. But I definitely bump Thompson at the very least.

I have a hard time seeing Delaney on the second-team, but I'm struggling to see who he'd bump from that first-team. It's just a really tough choice between all of those six.

jimsumner
02-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Battier and Forte tied for ACC POY in 2001. Battier won all the national POY awards except one, which went to Williams.

Williams won the national POY awards in 2002 but finished second to Juan Dixon for ACC POY, in large part because a handful of folks voted for Dunleavy for reasons unexplained.

Johnny Dawkins won the 1986 Naismith Award. Walter Berry won most of the others. Len Bias was ACC POY.

The clearest mid-point leader at this point is Bennett for ACC COY. He'll factor in the national COY discussion if Virginia holds on to a first-division spot. He's already been national COY at WSU.

gw67
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Based on my observations and mid-season ACC-only stats (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/confonly.html), there are six players who stand out: Landesberg, Vasquez, Delaney, Scheyer, Aminu and Booker. At this point in the ACC season, Landesberg is POY, IMO, closely followed by Vasquez. Scheyer had a very slow start in ACC play and has begun to come on and will be in the mix for ACC POY if he continues his good play and the Devils finish in 1st place, as expected.

gw67

CDu
02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Based on my observations and mid-season ACC-only stats (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/confonly.html), there are six players who stand out: Landesberg, Vasquez, Delaney, Scheyer, Aminu and Booker. At this point in the ACC season, Landesberg is POY, IMO, closely followed by Vasquez. Scheyer had a very slow start in ACC play and has begun to come on and will be in the mix for ACC POY if he continues his good play and the Devils finish in 1st place, as expected.

gw67

Completely agree. Vazquez took a big hit with his 9 turnover game the other night, but he's still a first-teamer clearly. It will be an interesting second half race.

superdave
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
and the Devils finish in 1st place, as expected.
gw67

Isnt Gary Williams contractually obligated to start making Maryland's tourney chances far more interesting than they ought to be? That should start to shape up in within a week or two.

And the Wahoos may not have enough cannons to keep firing at this pace!

gw67
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Isnt Gary Williams contractually obligated to start making Maryland's tourney chances far more interesting than they ought to be? That should start to shape up in within a week or two.

And the Wahoos may not have enough cannons to keep firing at this pace!

Based on the remaining schedule of ACC games, I see the Devils and Wake being the top two teams in the ACC at the end of the year, with Georgia Tech, Clemson and Maryland having winning records. Virginia needs to take care of the ball, play good defense and make sure that Landesberg, Zeglinski and Scott get most of the shots to stay competitive against the teams it still must play and to finish in the upper half of the league. IMO, Maryland's seniors and their young big man, Williams, will get them enough wins to be in the top five of the ACC at the end of the regular season. In any case, I believe that Landesberg, Vasquez and Scheyer will be the chief competitors for ACC POY.

gw67

SilkyJ
02-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Williams won the national POY awards in 2002 but finished second to Juan Dixon for ACC POY, in large part because a handful of folks voted for Dunleavy for reasons unexplained.

You are always good for some interesting knowledge, Jim. I didn't realize that we had a Ralph Nader effect going on with Dunleavy. Was this mainly UNC voters trying to take it away from JWill by voting for Dun?

superdave
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
You are always good for some interesting knowledge, Jim. I didn't realize that we had a Ralph Nader effect going on with Dunleavy. Was this mainly UNC voters trying to take it away from JWill by voting for Dun?

I had a discussion about this with some friends recently. It sort of made sense in 2002 that JW would win NPOY honors and JD would win in the ACC.

I think Duke was 13-3 while Maryland was 15-1.

But Duke was the odds-on favorite to win the NCAAs.

SilkyJ
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I had a discussion about this with some friends recently. It sort of made sense in 2002 that JW would win NPOY honors and JD would win in the ACC.

I think Duke was 13-3 while Maryland was 15-1.

But Duke was the odds-on favorite to win the NCAAs.

I totally agree and JD had a great ACC season that year, but I hadn't heard the story about Dunleavy getting votes, which sounds pretty strange. I am interested to hear some more color from Jim.

On a side note, who would have thought that of all the players on that team (Dixon, Baxter, and Morris) Steve Blake would have the most prosperous NBA career?

gw67
02-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree with Dave. Dixon played great during the ACC season that year and it made sense at the time that he won the ACC POY award. JWill had a wonderful season and more national exposure so he won the National POY. That also made sense at the time.

That Blake was drafted and made an NBA squad his rookie year was not expected by yours truly. That he has played for 6 years and been an occasional starter is amazing. I feel the same way about Duhon. I would have never guessed that he would be a solid NBA player.

gw67

gw67
02-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Just as the conference season is beginning to shape up, the top players are beginning to separate themselves from the pack as the season nears a close. Based on conference-only stats(http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/confonly.html), four players are having exceptional seasons in conference - Delaney, Vasquez, Scheyer and Aminu and appear to be locks for 1st team All ACC. Behind them is a group of players who are playing very well in conference - Landesburg, Singler, Booker, N. Smith and I. Smith. Singler is coming on strong while Landesburg is slowing down. After these nine players, there are a host of players who deserve consideration for a spot on the three team All ACC. They include Hudson, Alabi, Milbourne, Lawal, T. Smith, Trapani and Singleton. I didn't include a UNC player because I don't believe that Thompson or Davis are among the top 15 as far as performance within the conference is concerned.

The POY is between Vasquez and Scheyer with Delaney having an outside shot if he leads Tech to a high finish in the league. Scheyer has had the better overall season but he got off to a slow start in ACC play and, IMO, Vasquez has had a slightly better ACC season up to this point. He has strapped the Terps to his back and has carried them for much of the season. Both are seniors who have enjoyed excellent careers and I suspect that Scheyer will win out if, as expected, the Devils win the regular season.

gw67