PDA

View Full Version : Cutliffe on Recruiting and a Guarantee

rotogod00
02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
In an interview with Bruce Feldman from ESPN:

"We're probably rated 12th in the ACC, which is probably far from the case with the class we have," he said. "Those classes are rated by stars placed by guys names. We recruit out of camp. We watch them work. We see if they're willing to compete. We know how well they run. We've got 10 kids in this class that ran 4.5 or better in our camp. I don't care how many stars they have stars are by their name. We've got nine kids that measured 6-5 or better in our camp that we signed. We haven't had that many in any classes we've ever had. They're athletic, tough and I watched these kids in the fourth quarter, in the latter part of our camp. Shoot, I love our class.

"But right now there's a bunch of Duke folks running around going, 'Well, here we go again...' Wait 'til they see these guys play.

"I will not promise you, I guarantee you that these guys win one [ACC Championship] in the next five to six years. Absolutely. One hundred percent guarantee it."

moonpie23
02-05-2010, 08:50 AM
HUGE HIGH 5 to coach Cut !!!

That's the kind of optimism i want to hear from our coaches.... I sincerely believe he can deliver it too...

i haven't looked at the schedule, but barring paul mccartney needing anything from me on the opening day at ww....i'll be there....(even if paul DID need something, we could take a break and go to the game) :)

we owe it to Cut to support the football program more than ever before...

GO DUKE

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
In an interview with Bruce Feldman from ESPN:

"We're probably rated 12th in the ACC, which is probably far from the case with the class we have," he said. "Those classes are rated by stars placed by guys names. We recruit out of camp. We watch them work. We see if they're willing to compete. We know how well they run. We've got 10 kids in this class that ran 4.5 or better in our camp. I don't care how many stars they have stars are by their name. We've got nine kids that measured 6-5 or better in our camp that we signed. We haven't had that many in any classes we've ever had. They're athletic, tough and I watched these kids in the fourth quarter, in the latter part of our camp. Shoot, I love our class.

"But right now there's a bunch of Duke folks running around going, 'Well, here we go again...' Wait 'til they see these guys play.

"I will not promise you, I guarantee you that these guys win one [ACC Championship] in the next five to six years. Absolutely. One hundred percent guarantee it."
Coach Cutcliffe and his staff do a remarkable job of identifying talent and developing it. Look over the list of 19 recruits for 2010. They may not have a lot of stars based on the recruiting evaluation services, but they are big and fast, especially the linemen.

Also keep in mind, year 3 in a building mode is going to be more difficult to show marked improvement than was the case in year 1 or 2.

I'm excited about the prospects for winning some exciting games this fall and plan to be an eye witness.

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
i haven't looked at the schedule, but barring paul mccartney needing anything from me on the opening day at ww....i'll be there
Make sure you swing by the Brunchgate tent and say hi.

RainingThrees
02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Make sure you swing by the Brunchgate tent and say hi.

Where is said brunchgate tent in relation to WW?

devildeac
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Where is said brunchgate tent in relation to WW?

Card Gym lot. Last year we were tent #8. We were among the 1st to arrive and among the last to leave AFTER the game.

duke4life32182
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Would be awesome to see the football team start kicking butt.

Battierfan01
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Wow, are you ready for some football?? How many months until kickoff?? Man I LOVE Coach Cut!! :)

uh_no
02-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Glad to see the welcoming he got at the basketball game.....wish he could have spoken at halftime

shoutingncu
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Wow, are you ready for some football?? How many months until kickoff??

Couldn't agree more. ;)

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Wow, are you ready for some football?? How many months until kickoff?? Man I LOVE Coach Cut!! :)
The spring game should be sometime in April :)

Battierfan01
02-05-2010, 02:34 PM
The spring game should be sometime in April :)

Yeah, I was thinking that is usually when it is. So I guess they haven't set the date uh??

Battierfan01
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Couldn't agree more. ;)

Is that because you're excited about Duke football or because you're ready for b-ball season to be over?? :D

shoutingncu
02-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Is that because you're excited about Duke football or because you're ready for b-ball season to be over?? :D

Well, I did exclude the part of your quote praising Coach Cut... :)

Battierfan01
02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Well, I did exclude the part of your quote praising Coach Cut... :)

Oh I just thought you FORGOT to include that part.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I've heard that Spring Practice begins at Duke in less than 10 days.

Hope the recurring snow storms are past when the practices start up!

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I've heard that Spring Practice begins at Duke in less than 10 days.

Hope the recurring snow storms are past when the practices start up!
Yup, Cut said next year he'll wait a little longer to start since they will have played in a bowl recently. :D

“I cannot stand this long, long delay we have without a bowl game, so we are going to put an end to that,” Cutcliffe said. “If they do not like it that cold in the morning, then they can get in a bowl game and we won’t practice that early.”

RockLobster
02-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I see eight winnable games on the schedule. And who knows, we just might surprise someone.

And I'm relieved that we only scheduled one AA team this year.

As far as recruiting goes, if Cut is high on these guys, I say it's a win. Let's face it - we may be improving, but until we start winning consistently we won't be attracting any five-star recruits to Durham. We have to keep working towards it. Cut's not a naive guy, he's worked at some of the biggest powerhouses in college football, and if he realistically thinks we can compete for a conference crown, I believe him.

wolfpackdevil
02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I also see 8 winnable games in the ACC this year. The games @VT, @GT, ALA, and UM, are gonna be extremely tough to win.

I like what I hear out of Cutcliffe, but this was not a huge recruiting year for Duke anyways.

We had SO MANY freshman either playing or redshirting last year that we didn't need a bunch of recruits this year with such a small graduating class.

Duke just needs these guys that are already on the roster to improve. I am also glad to see Duke scheduling Elon, Army and Navy. Those are all winnable games since we also have to play Alabama in non-conference:eek:

Bob Green
02-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Navy will be a tough, tough road game for our Blue Devils. The Midshipmen went 10-4 in 2009 including a 34-13 win over Missouri in the Texas Bowl. When counting possible victories in 2010, I would suggest caution in chaulking up the Navy game as a win. We are going to have to go to Annapolis and earn a victory.

RockLobster
02-06-2010, 12:09 AM
8 WINNABLE games. Not saying we'll actually win all of them. I expect that game against Navy to be tough as well.

jafarr1
02-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Put UNC in the tough category. Their defense is going to be one of the best in the country, and after losing Drew and Putnam, we'll need to see if our DL can stop their running game.

Bob Green
02-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I really like the fact we play three of our last four games at home. The schedule sets us up to finish strong. We play Virginia, Boston College, and North Carolina at home in November.

As a Navy man and DukeFanatic, I'm eyeing the Sept. 25th game against Army as a good opportunity to visit North Carolina. A Duke win with an Army loss equals the Daily Double.