PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins

jtw4796
02-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Is he injured Read on other boards he got injured in practice
If not why doesn't he play more

moonpie23
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
does a face blistering from coach k count as an "injury"......i've seen how coach k handles poor effort and play on the court....i can only imagine what it's like at a closed practice.....

so, maybe andre DOES have a slight injury, maybe his play at practice got him a doghouse room......

either way, he looked like either or both of these things may have happened...

this is why he's at duke.....to learn, grow and become all that he can be...

i support the kid cause i believe......

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM
He looked like a sad puppy dog sitting on the bench. I can only imagine that other than a slight injury, a butt injury or bruised ego was probably the case. I hope he's not injured though.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 08:50 AM
"Andre - we're really weak at the guard spot - how about leaving high school a year early and coming to help us out?"

Okay coach. Whatever I can do to help the team.

TaylorJamalEricEliotOlekAndre

moonpie23
02-05-2010, 08:55 AM
"Andre - we're really weak at the guard spot - how about leaving high school a year early and coming to help us out?"

i'm not sure if this is a dig at andre or not....are you saying he is likely to be non-progressive (for duke's program) as the names you've mentioned?

let;s cut him a tad of slack...he is virtually a high school senior on a huge stage....

pamtar
02-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Yep. I'm not sure sitting the kid is the best thing for him right now - especially when were up by 20. Then again, I haven't won three NCs. The kid is barely out of diapers, just lost his sister, and is living away from home for the first time in his life. I'd barely be able to dribble...

BTW, "the Kid" fits him well. I'm sticking with it.

airowe
02-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Classy move there calling Andre, his father, Coach K, Coach Collins, Coach Wojo, Coach James, and the entire Duke athletic department liars.

I hope this post was sarcastic.

Mike Corey
02-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I believe AllenMurray is ripping K, not Dawkins or his family.

He's saying that K asked him to skip his final year of high school to relieve Duke's perimeter depth woes, only to have him ride the pine.

riverside6
02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
here's an audio clip from K on why Dawkins didn't play...

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/6968447/

In so many words K basically says, look, the best players are out there playing.

I guess we'll leave it at that. Jordan Davidson - 2 minutes. Andre Dawkins - zero.

airowe
02-05-2010, 09:20 AM

He's saying that K asked him to skip his final year of high school to relieve Duke's perimeter depth woes, only to have him ride the pine.

Exactly what I'm talking about Mike. If allen honestly believes that K talked Andre into leaving school early it flies in the face of everything both sides have said about the occurrence. By all accounts, including Andre's and his Father's, it was the Dawkins' who initiated contact with the program about him leaving school early to come to Duke.

Any other inference would be effectively calling everyone I mentioned in my first post a liar and is something I would only expect to read on Idiot Central.

Despicable.

weezie
02-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, some folks just like to find the dark cloud somewhere on the horizon. How can giving a few seconds to Davidson and having him rise to the challenge be a bad thing?

mkline09
02-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that Dawkins came early of his own volition and not because Krzyzewski or his staff asked him to. When Elliott Williams transfered and Gerald Henderson left, Dawkins and his father joked initially about entering Duke early because of the lack of guard depth.

Of course we all know that joke turned into a serious thing and he called the Duke staff to see if it was feasible. Not the otherway around.

In interviews Dawkins clearly knew that his playing time could be sporatic and all reports sound as if he just isn't getting it done in practice. Who can blame him given what has happened.

Not sure it is fair to put blame on the the staff or ensenuate he may transfer just yet. Who knows he could. He didn't look happy but he is still young and hopefully he will bounce back and grow from this experience.

flyingdutchdevil
It's a common motivational tactic. I really think we're reading into this a little too much. Dre had a bad practice week - it happens. I rarely say this because I often choke on my own medicine, but we need to chillax.

DukieInBrasil
Doesn't all this belong on the speculation and baseless rumors page? Nobody here has presented any info suggesting that he is in fact being punished despite at least a couple of accounts that he may actually be injured. Yes, it would be quite shady to entice a kid to come early to not give him a chance, however this is a point of view also contrary to all available evidence, ie. Andre has publicly stated on multiple occasions that it was his idea to come early. Unless you have some real evidence to support any of this crap, give it a rest, it just makes us fans look like lame back-stabbers.
Let's hope that Andre gets back to playing ball soon so that these supposed fans can stop whining/back-stabbing the coaches/players.

flyingdutchdevil
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Doesn't all this belong on the speculation and baseless rumors page? Nobody here has presented any info suggesting that he is in fact being punished despite at least a couple of accounts that he may actually be injured. Yes, it would be quite shady to entice a kid to come early to not give him a chance, however this is a point of view also contrary to all available evidence, ie. Andre has publicly stated on multiple occasions that it was his idea to come early. Unless you have some real evidence to support any of this crap, give it a rest, it just makes us fans look like lame back-stabbers.
Let's hope that Andre gets back to playing ball soon so that these supposed fans can stop whining/back-stabbing the coaches/players.

Bilas yesterday said that Dre didn't play well in practice and as a result isn't getting much playing time. K basically said the same thing on the radio (see above). Dre 'being in the doghouse' isn't really speculation / rumor mongering - I'd say it's kinda fact. Him transferring because of it - now that's speculation.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Jay Bilas said last night that in his pre-game conversation with Coach K he learned that Andre was not doing well in practice (or something to that effect). Given Bilas' relationship with K I'd take that as more than baseless speculation.

alteran
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM

Yeah, that's who allen is ripping. It's hard not to agree with that.

Putting in Jordan was K's way of making sure everybody knew dang well that Andre was in the doghouse, big time. I just don't think that was necessary.

Coach K is great, but that doesn't mean that everything he does is great. I'm not going to restate the details, but we all know the personal situation.

I just don't think Coach K is going to look back on this in a few years and think, "gee, if only I was harder on this kid at this time." It's conceivable that this is just what Andre needs right now in more ways than one. But looking at Andre, I don't believe it.

Just my view from the cheap seats.

flyingdutchdevil
02-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Putting in Jordan was K's way of making sure everybody knew dang well that Andre was in the doghouse, big time. I just don't think that was necessary.

Coach K is great, but that doesn't mean that everything he does is great. I'm not going to restate the details, but we all know the personal situation.

I just don't think Coach K is going to look back on this in a few years and think, "gee, if only I was harder on this kid at this time." It's conceivable that this is just what Andre needs right now in more ways than one. But looking at Andre, I don't believe it.

Thanks for that analysis. Never would have thought of it like that (especially the Jordan Davidson move).

After reading that, I really agree with you (especially the part about Coach K being great but also making mistakes. He's not perfect).

BoozerWasFouled
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Dawkins stretched before the game but did not shoot. I believe that injury may have been a contributing factor.

Starter
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I'll be honest, this is going to sound like selective hindsight, but when I heard Dawkins was coming a year early to make up for the transfer of Eliot Williams, I really was uneasy about that. It's hard enough finding graduating high school seniors mature enough to handle the rigors of big-time college basketball, much less someone who has left HS after his junior year.

To his credit, he was a solid and frequent contributor early on -- 11 ppg in about 20 mpg in the first 7 games, including games against ASU, UConn and Wisconsin. At that point, his sister died, an astronomically horrible and unfair break, and it was impossible to think that wouldn't affect him. I was very pleased to see the aplomb he showed to come back and score 16 against Gardner-Webb, but he's shot 9-for-36 (25%) in 11 games since, albeit in limited time.

I just think that the loss of his sister was really too much for a young kid -- or really, anyone, but specifically an 18-year-old would-be high school senior. I doubt Dawkins has done anything to anger the coaching staff, nor would I blame Krzyzewski for not playing him if it doesn't seem like he's up to it. I'd suggest it just wasn't meant to be this year, but by no means would I yet lump him in the group of transfers someone put up there. Let's hope a summer to reflect, work on his game and refocus is what Dawkins -- from all accounts a great kid -- needs to come back and succeed at Duke.

Starter
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Note: I haven't ruled out the possibility that Dawkins can still emerge as a contributing player down the stretch this year. At this point last year, Eliot Williams was barely a factor. But it does seem pretty unlikely at this point.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I think you all may have missed my point.

moonpie - I don't see his development as similar to that of Taylor, Eliot, Jamal, Eric, or Olek - I see his possible trajectory toward transfer as similar. Did any of you see the look on his face? He was the only person not to play.

airowe - No matter who initiated the conversation about his leaving high school early to come to Duke, obviously the final decision was that of Coach K. If K didn't think he was ready to join the team I think he would have said so. Again, no matter who initiated the conversation, the decision did not belong to Dawkins, it belonged to K. I've bveen called a lot of things on this BB - despicable is a new one. :( Thanks for the variety at least.

pamtar - you're right - Coach K has won three national championships and I have not. Remind me again why we have a site - to discuss things right? Oh yeah, this is a no criticism, no speculation one. :confused:

weezie - I don't see the relationship between Davidson getting playing time and Dawkins not. It was a blowout - both could have happened. I also don't think I have a history of seeing the dark clouds on the horizon. :rolleyes:

alteran - thanks for the defense. I'm not used to getting slammed here. It is beginning lo look like IC in the way folk will turn on each other. Perhaps I should go somewhere else for a while. ;)

All in all, I'd rather see Dawkins not on the bench at all. Hear me out. My guess is that he has had a very hard time getting into the swing of things. He leaves high school a year early. He comes not an environment that is pressure-paced, both academically and athletically. Just as things are starting to settle, his sister is killed while on her way to come see him play. While I was watching I kept thinking, maybe he is't working hard in practice. And then I'd think, maybe, just maybe he is a bit distracted by losing his sister. Good god, I lost my sister when she was 42 and I was 40 and there has not been a day in the last 7 years that I haven't thought about her. The grieving process for anybody is hard - for a kid who lost his sister, while he himself was undergoing such an enormous life transisiton is incredibly complicated. I'd rather see the kid get some time off altogether then to be humiliated on national TV by being the only player not to enter the game, and then have Jay Bilas casually mention that when he was talking to his old friend Coach K he learned that Dawkins doesn't work hard in practice. The kid needs support, and perhaps a break. If he is not handling himself in practice he might just have a good reason.

Obviously we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, and I could be completely wrong. But if I was a kid choosing between two schools, and an opposing coach wanted to sway me or my parents, all he would have to do is say, "Look at Andre there sitting on the bench - I wonder how he feels about leaving high school early to come help out in their guard-shallow situation. I wonder if he got all the support he needed after the tragedy. Dadgummit, he just doesnt look happy, does he? Here, have a Coke."

dukeimac
02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
The kid is barely out of diapers, just lost his sister, and is living away from home for the first time in his life. I'd barely be able to dribble...

Bingo! As I have siad before, just how many of you would be able to cope so well with these three issues and be able to perform at a top level.

As for AllenMurray, can't you guys spot a troll yet? Don't validate the trolls statements by answering them, you put yourself at his level but maybe???

RoyalBlue08
02-05-2010, 09:54 AM
There seems to be an assumption on this board that all freshmen that can't win playing time transfer. I don't necessarily get that. Most of the guys who have transfered out of Duke did so because they correctly assumed they had no shot at playing time even as upperclassmen (with the obvious exception of Elliot, who clearly transferred for non basketball reasons, and I don't know why this is always being used as evidence of some sort of problem with the coaching staff). Andre may or may not earn minutes this season. But even if he doesn't, he is behind a senior and a junior at the guard position, so there is no reason to think he can't be a major contributor and/or starter down the road. And it may come as a surprise to some of you, but some kids handle adversity by working harder and earning time (see Nolan for an example), not by giving up and transferring to a lesser school so they can play. Until I hear something to make me think otherwise, I am going to continue to assume Andre is a "Duke guy" which means he is going to continue to work and make himself into the player that many of us think he can be.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Dawkins stretched before the game but did not shoot. I believe that injury may have been a contributing factor.

Clearly a possibility, especially as K does not talk much about injuries. However, it was contradicted by what Jay Bilas said regarding his conversation with K. If an injury kept him from playing it would hve been much better for that to have been publicly said rather than Dawkins to have been embarassed by being the only player with a DNP-CD in a blow-out. I'd rather have folks know I didn't play becasue I was hurt than to have athem think I was in the doghouse based on what an announcer (one with with a colse relationship with the coach) said on TV.

airowe
02-05-2010, 09:56 AM
I think you all may have missed my point.

airowe - No matter who initiated the conversation about his leaving high school early to come to Duke, obviously the final decision was that of Coach K. If K didn't think he was ready to join the team I think he would have said so. Again, no matter who initiated the conversation, the decision did not belong to Dawkins, it belonged to K. I've bveen called a lot of things on this BB - despicable is a new one. :( Thanks for the variety at least.

I never called you despicable, I called what you said despicable. You presented your argument in a fallacious, untruthful, and slanderous manner. This is why you got the reaction you did.

If you're going to say something like that, you need to have facts to back it up. In this case, the facts flew right in your face. This is a message board, but not one where you can throw out wildly unfounded speculation.

I generally respect your posts, which is why I assumed it was sarcastic.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 09:56 AM
As for AllenMurray, can't you guys spot a troll yet? Don't validate the trolls statements by answering them, you put yourself at his level but maybe???

Now my sympathy for Andre Dawkins has me labeled a troll? Wow. :p

SupaDave
02-05-2010, 10:01 AM

I understand the sympathy b/c we all know the situation, but do you think it's a good idea to put someone in a game with HIGH tension (i.e. the late tech on Scheyer) who has been going through the motions in practice? I don't think so and it's precisely how a young kid gets punched in the mouth.

Additionally, you guys are poo pooing JD's need to ALSO get a little PT in that very same atmosphere especially when you consider the fact that he's a better ball handler and a more experienced teammate.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I never called you despicable, I called what you said despicable. You presented your argument in a fallacious, untruthful, and slanderous manner. This is why you got the reaction you did.

If you're going to say something like that, you need to have facts to back it up. In this case, the facts flew right in your face. This is a message board, but not one where you can throw out wildly unfounded speculation.

I generally respect your posts, which is why I assumed it was sarcastic.

I never called the coaching staff liars - I spelled out an obviously fictional account of a possible conversation (did you really think I was making an exact quote?). In any event, my point stands. Dawkins did not get to make the decision about whether he came to Duke early, coach K did. That is beyond dispute. Dawkins doesn't get to decide that, no matter who initiated the conversaton. Thus the decision did not belong to Dawkins no matter who initiated the conversation.

airowe
Clearly a possibility, especially as K does not talk much about injuries. However, it was contradicted by what Jay Bilas said regarding his conversation with K. If an injury kept him from playing it would hve been much better for that to have been publicly said rather than Dawkins to have been embarassed by being the only player with a DNP-CD in a blow-out. I'd rather have folks know I didn't play becasue I was hurt than to have athem think I was in the doghouse based on what an announcer (one with with a colse relationship with the coach) said on TV.

Or maybe it would be less inflammatory or embarrassing to Andre to be called out for not putting in the work in practice (as he himself has admitted just a few days ago) rather than continuing to harp on his inability to cope with dealing with personal issues?

Maybe, just maybe Coach K knows these players' psyches better than you?

JG Nothing

Allen Murray is hardly a troll. God forbid any one question K's decisions on this board. There is more than one way to handle any situation. Three rings does not mean a person is always correct.

GGLC
02-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I think you're out of line, airowe. I understood allenmurray's point perfectly, and it had nothing to do with how Andre got here (and everything to do with how he's feeling now that he is here).

Oh, and allenmurray is a troll? Wow. Pretty sneaky of him to be a die-hard Duke fan all those years, then. :)

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Additionally, you guys are poo pooing JD's need to ALSO get a little PT in that very same atmosphere especially when you consider the fact that he's a better ball handler and a more experienced teammate.

Tweeet! Five yard penalty for false equivilency (the two things are/were not mutually exclusive).

airowe
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I never called the coaching staff liars - I spelled out an obviously fictional account of a possible conversation. In any event, my point stands. Dawkins did not get to make the decision about whether he came to Duke early, coach K did. That is beyond dispute. Dawkins doesn't get to decide that, no matter who initiated the conversaton.

Yet you fail to consider the possibility that K agreed with the Dawkins' beliefs that his son was ready for college but did so with the understanding that they would ease into it, and only do so if Andre was ready. When he came here he obviously proved himself worthy and played almost 19 mpg. Something happened to reduce his playing time. All of a sudden. Something.

CDu
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM

I can't see how Davidson's first-half minute had anything at all to do with a need for an experienced teammate and better ballhandler (especially considering that Davidson almost never handled the ball in the game). We could have easily survived a minute with Ryan Kelly at the 3. Further, even if Davidson's minutes were needed (which I think is a big stretch), that doesn't mean that Dawkins couldn't have also found minutes.

Obviously, I don't have any inside knowledge, but I would read Davidson's minutes as either (1) a statement to Dawkins about what it takes in practice or (2) a shout out to Davidson's hard work in practice (or both). I don't think it had anything to do with the specific skill set Davidson brings to the court.

roywhite
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I never called the coaching staff liars - I spelled out an obviously fictional account of a possible conversation. In any event, my point stands. Dawkins did not get to make the decision about whether he came to Duke early, coach K did. That is beyond dispute. Dawkins doesn't get to decide that, no matter who initiated the conversaton.

What?

Beyond dispute?? You have some radio transmitter in the Dawkins household?

This is becoming silly.

Amazing that this consumes so much interest the day after an important win. I'm sure Dawkins status will be clarified before long.

SupaDave
02-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Tweeet! Five yard penalty for false equivilency (the two things are/were not mutually exclusive).

lmao! But both are true...

Matches
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Obviously, I don't have any inside knowledge, but I would read Davidson's minutes as either (1) a statement to Dawkins about what it takes in practice or (2) a shout out to Davidson's hard work in practice (or both). I don't think it had anything to do with the specific skill set Davidson brings to the court.

Or (3) a concession to the fact that we were on the verge of major major foul trouble in that first half and needed some minutes from someone who was foul-free. Of course, that doesn't explain why it was JD on the court rather than Andre, but there you go.

Either Andre is injured or he's buried somewhere under K's doghouse right now, or both. Either of those things is likely to be a temporary situation.

airowe
02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I think you're out of line, airowe. I understood allenmurray's point perfectly, and it had nothing to do with how Andre got here (and everything to do with how he's feeling now that he is here).

Oh, and allenmurray is a troll? Wow. Pretty sneaky of him to be a die-hard Duke fan all those years, then. :)

That's fine. This is a discussion board. You may have understood his point perfectly but I did not.

I agree, allenmurray is not a troll. This is why I took specific offense to his comment that K talked Dawkins into leaving high school early when he clearly wasn't ready. This is not at all what happened.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 10:11 AM
What?

Beyond dispute?? You have some radio transmitter in the Dawkins household?

Yes, beyond dispute (unless of course Coach K allows players to make recruiting decisons, scholarship decisons, and university admission decisons. the only way it is not beyond dispute is if it is possible that Dawkins said he wanted to come early, K said "No", and Dawkins said, "I am coming anyway", and K then said, "Okay, you get to decide, not me."

CDu
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Or (3) a concession to the fact that we were on the verge of major major foul trouble in that first half and needed some minutes from someone who was foul-free. Of course, that doesn't explain why it was JD on the court rather than Andre, but there you go.

Either Andre is injured or he's buried somewhere under K's doghouse right now, or both. Either of those things is likely to be a temporary situation.

I guess I should have clarified. I was referring specifically to Davidson's selection over Dawkins for that minute in the first half.

SupaDave
02-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I can't see how Davidson's first-half minute had anything at all to do with a need for an experienced teammate and better ballhandler (especially considering that Davidson almost never handled the ball in the game). We could have easily survived a minute with Ryan Kelly at the 3. Further, even if Davidson's minutes were needed (which I think is a big stretch), that doesn't mean that Dawkins couldn't have also found minutes.

I'm not really concerned with who gets in the game in the first half - that's all gravy. It's those final minutes I'm referencing (which is why I mentioned the tech). And if it isn't the skill set he brings - what is it? He was the lead guard and obviously they worked very hard to get Jordan the ball at the end of the game.

Yes, it's a statement to Dawkins but you may be reading WAY too much into it. Why can't it be just as K always does - you EARN your minutes. So if Casey gets in - is it a statement to Jordan AND Dawkins? We've already gone through this with Greg/Nolan.

GGLC
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I agree, allenmurray is not a troll. This is why I took specific offense to his comment that K talked Dawkins into leaving high school early when he clearly wasn't ready. This is not at all what happened.

And this is not at all what he said. Show me where allenmurray said that Dawkins clearly wasn't ready. That, or stop mischaracterizing his comments.

We're all Duke fans here, guys. We all care about the team, and we all certainly care about Andre's well-being. Why is this turning into a sniping match?

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Or maybe it would be less inflammatory or embarrassing to Andre to be called out for not putting in the work in practice (as he himself has admitted just a few days ago) rather than continuing to harp on his inability to cope with dealing with personal issues?

Maybe, just maybe Coach K knows these players' psyches better than you?

Huh? :confused: I was addressing a poster who speculated that Dawkins was injured. I said that was not the case based on what Bilas reported. If it was the case that he was injured I still believe (and I may be wrong, I don't know Andre) that he may have preferred it to be announced he was injured and therefore not playing, rather than hve folks speculating about other reasons he might not be playing.

Maybe months from now Coach K will say, gosh, I'm glad I was so hard on that kid. It is just what he needed. And maybe he will be right. But I don't subscribe to the Coach K is omniscient theory so popular on DBR - I think he can, has, and does make mistakes from time to time. I believe this may be one of them. I don't think that makes me a bad person, a liar, a troll, a pessimsit, or a bad fan - though obviously others differ on that point.

airowe
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes, beyond dispute (unless of course Coach K allows players to make recruiting decisons, scholarship decisons, and university admission decisons. the only way it is not beyond dispute is if it is possible that Dawkins said he wanted to come early, K said "No", and Dawkins said, "I am coming anyway", and K then said, "Okay, you get to decide, not me."

Obviously, K made the final decision on whether Andre could come to Duke, but it's how you insinuated that he talked him into it that I take major offense with.

You neglect to consider the possibility that the decision was reached together after much deliberation and conversation and all that was expected was explained to Andre. He knew all that, did the work required and almost an entire half of playing time.

And then tragedy struck. Now he can't handle the things he needs to do and the coaching staff does not want it out there to spare the kid from further public scrutiny.

roywhite
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Huh? :confused: I was addressing a poster who speculated that Dawkins was injured. I said that was not the case based on what Bilas reported. If it was the case that he was injured I still believe (and I may be wrong, I don't know Andre) that hemay have preferred it ot announced he was injured and therefore not playing, rather than folks speculating about other reasons he might not be playing.

Maybe months from now Coach K will say, gosh, I'm so glad I was so hard on that kid. It is just what he needed. And maybe he will be right. But I don't subscribe to the Coach K is omniscient theory so popular on DBR - I htink he can, has, and does make mistakes from time to time. I believe this may be one of them. But what do I iknow - I'm just a troll ;)

You claim to know things not in evidence.

And insist that you do.

I'm done, and I hope the thread is soon done.

Matches
02-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I was addressing a poster who speculated that Dawkins was injured. I said that was not the case based on what Bilas reported.

Not to question Bilas' truthfulness or anything like that, but I think there's a lot of potential for some info to get lost in translation between K and Bilas. I doubt they spent a lot of time discussing Dawkins; we're talking about Bilas' recollection of what was probably an offhand comment.

"Andre's been limited in practice this week." could easily become "Andre's not playing because K's been unhappy with the way he practiced."

IOW we may be subjecting Bilas' statement to a bit more scrutiny than it deserves.

RPS
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Yes, beyond dispute (unless of course Coach K allows players to make recruiting decisons, scholarship decisons, and university admission decisons. the only way it is not beyond dispute is if it is possible that Dawkins said he wanted to come early, K said "No", and Dawkins said, "I am coming anyway", and K then said, "Okay, you get to decide, not me."As usual, Allen, you're making great sense.

GGLC
02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Not to question Bilas' truthfulness or anything like that, but I think there's a lot of potential for some info to get lost in translation between K and Bilas. I doubt they spent a lot of time discussing Dawkins; we're talking about Bilas' recollection of what was probably an offhand comment.

"Andre's been limited in practice this week." could easily become "Andre's not playing because K's been unhappy with the way he practiced."

IOW we may be subjecting Bilas' statement to a bit more scrutiny than it deserves.

This could certainly be true.

BlueDevilCorvette!
02-05-2010, 10:25 AM
He looked like a sad puppy dog sitting on the bench. I can only imagine that other than a slight injury, a butt injury or bruised ego was probably the case. I hope he's not injured though.

I thought the same thing when I saw Dawkins sitting there on the bench. Dawkins looked emotionally fatigued, you know like a lot of stuff was on his mind. I don't know what's been going on in practice with him, however I hope the coaches have an equitable balance when discussing his shortcomings on the court (defense) but in turn highlight the positive attributes he also brings to the team. Bottom line is we need Dawkins (to return to form) if we are to be successful come NCAAT time.

flyingdutchdevil
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
This could certainly be true.

Really? Bilas played for 4 years under K. He was an assistant coach to K. He has been covering Duke for god knows how many years. I highly doubt that Bilas misinterpreted this. Highly doubt.

IMO, I with Allen Murray's posts are insightful, interesting, and more likely than anything else on this thread. I don't understand why people get so damn offended. K isn't god, as much as we love to think he is.

JBDuke
02-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I think that's enough for this thread. Unless we have more concrete news to discuss, I think we've covered the ground, and folks are getting snippy.

If some news actually breaks about a Dawkins injury or about a practice issue, then either start a new thread, or PM a couple of mods and ask us to reopen this. Until then, this thread is CLOSED.