PDA

View Full Version : 7th grade football player verbals to USC

illinoisdukie
02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100204/SPORTS/100204045/Seventh-grade+football+star+picks+a+college

David Sills, a highly-touted youth quarterback, made a verbal commitment tonight to accept a college football scholarship from USC.Sills is not even in high school yet. He is a seventh-grader at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear.
Red Lion high school varsity coach Eric Day confirmed the decision by Sills tonight, also confirming that USC coach Lane Kiffin recently offered a scholarship to the 13-year-old Sills.

"I'm very excited but I was very, very nervous," Sills said tonight about talking to Kiffin over the phone. "It was very cool [to talk to Kiffin] but my heart was beating so fast, and I was scared. But after it was over, I was so excited and pumped."

ChicagoCrazy84
02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
That is the most retarded thing I have ever read. Why is Kiffin even bothering himself with this kid? I am seriously at a loss for words, unbelievable.

DukeSean
02-04-2010, 11:17 PM
insanity. sheer insanity. how much do you want to bet the NCAA starts instituting minimum ages/grades for offering scholarships in part because of Kiffin?

Well, congrats to the kid, it's not every day that before you even set foot in high school you know you've got a free ride to a good college.

DevilHorns
02-04-2010, 11:23 PM
This is sorta like that VH1 show about child stars turned adults.

We all know this kid will have a ridiculous amount to live up to at such a young age. This cant end well.

El_Diablo
02-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Kiffin won't even last five years at USC.

Deslok
02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
What are the odds that the kid ever wears a USC jersey? I'm guessing around 20%. Verbal commitments mean squat for both players and schools in football. So unless he turns out to be a big time HS QB, and Lane Kiffen stays at USC for at least 6 years, you won't hear about this again.

Who knows, maybe Kiffen sent some of his ambassadors a la Tennessee to the kids middle school games... would certainly make a name for himself at the school that way.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-04-2010, 11:46 PM
If I were this kid's father, I would go bonkers. I don't know how all this works if Kiffin called him or seeked him out or what, but I would not want my 13 year old son saying a word to a college football coach who was actually trying to recruit him. Kiffin should be ashamed of himself.

I guarantee this kid ends up playing for San Jose St. or something if he plays in college.

Underdog5
02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Worse case scenario... he ultimately isn't good enough and goes to another school. If this was my kid I'd be excited that someone saw this kind of potential in him and made the "commitment" (agree with the poster above on the odds he ends up at USC). I'd be working even harder help prepare him for success.

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Why is this here? I don't care about 7th graders or USC. Do you? (Excluding the fact that your kid is a 7th grader or a QB for USC)

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Why is this here? I don't care about 7th graders or USC. Do you? (Excluding the fact that your kid is a 7th grader or a QB for USC)

Why is stuff about UNC here? I don't care about Roy, Ed Davis, Tyler, or UNC. Do you?

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-05-2010, 12:24 AM
How is this any different than what's been happening in basketball?! Kids receive recruiting letters as early as 5th and 6th grade. Kids verbal as early as 7th and 8th grade. They have recruiting sites that rank the top 100 10 and 11 year olds in the country. Is it because Lane is doing it or because U$C is the school?

illinoisdukie
02-05-2010, 12:27 AM
How is this any different than what's been happening in basketball?! Kids receive recruiting letters as early as 5th and 6th grade. Kids verbal as early as 7th and 8th grade. They have recruiting sites that rank the top 100 10 and 11 year olds in the country. Is it because Lane is doing it or because U$C is the school?

I think becasue you just don't hear about this in football like you do with basketball.

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Why is stuff about UNC here? I don't care about Roy, Ed Davis, Tyler, or UNC. Do you?
Yes I do...with passion. I love watching those folks suffer. :)

dukelifer
02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Kiffin won't even last five years at USC.

Wow- I think the Vegas line is 3 years

flyingdutchdevil
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Can we offer Shelden's baby girl a scholy? If we're targeting 7th graders, why not 7 year olds? Why not 7 month babies?

Hell - can we have LeBron unborn son commit to us? Is that possible?

SupaDave
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Can we offer Shelden's baby girl a scholy? If we're targeting 7th graders, why not 7 year olds? Why not 7 month babies?

Hell - can we have LeBron unborn son commit to us? Is that possible?

FUNNY! And Lebron's already got TWO sons we can offer NOW. LOL!

And no this isn't unusual and sometimes these kids DO live up to the hype. I've been reading about Joe Montana's sons for some time now.

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
According to Shelden and Candace, Lailaa is playing tennis! Lisa Leslie and Candace have plans to make their daughters become the next generation version of Venus and Serena. Considering how much money Venus and Serena is making, I can't blame them...

However, if Laaila does decide to play basketball, Duke is already late to the game, because coaches from UCLA and Tennessee were at the hospital to offer soon after she was born!

http://www.blackcelebkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/x2_56ccec.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0euccYWbIU5PC/610x.jpg