PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Boston College Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

gofurman
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I just noticed that BC has been off since 1/30. Didn't really buy into the difference in schedules until now. 2 days versus 6. That is signifiicant. "

I stole that thought but mine was the "Georgetown" thought... Duke plays on Thursday night...I assume flies on Friday to play on Saturday? That is no turnaround. The whole while BC has been resting and prepping / studying for Duke for a week.

Not to mention BC is between GT and UNC. Trap if I ever saw it!

and away... just looks bad from where I sit: any win at BC would be huge.

*the only diff in BC and Georgetown (other than talent) is that we know BC bc they are conference

mike88
02-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Playing on a little over a day's rest, on the road, against a team that will be motivated after losing to us earlier at Cameron- this is a big game for Duke. BC is not the most talented team in the league by far, but they run their system and I am sure Coach Skinner will ask them to be extra physical with us, trying to take advantage of our potential for fatigue given the difference in time between games.

As is usually the case vs. BC, we need to cause turnovers, limit their 3 point shots, and keep from getting into foul trouble. If we can do those things and shoot reasonably well, we should win.

-bdbd
02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I hope that we can GET there with this big sorm looming!
(At a minimum, please no big travel delays for a weary team.)

We seem to have found ourselves again, but Duke needs to demonstrate an ability to play consistent, good D on the road still...

As long as we maintain focus and energy, this one should be ours for the taking.:)

uh_no
02-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I just noticed that BC has been off since 1/30. Didn't really buy into the difference in schedules until now. 2 days versus 6. That is signifiicant. "

*the only diff in BC and Georgetown (other than talent) is that we know BC bc they are conference

First, we had our big schedule break last week, and we decided to fill it with georgetown....so don't blame scheduling

Second, we have played Gtown for the past 3 years now, so you can hardly say that we don't know them....

mo.st.dukie
02-05-2010, 12:08 AM
First, we had our big schedule break last week, and we decided to fill it with georgetown....so don't blame scheduling

This was discussed in an article prior to the GTown game but playing that game on January 30 was the decision of CBS not the schools. JTIII mentioned that he would much rather play a game like that prior to conference play started but when they signed the contract for the home-and-home series it gave the tv networks (CBS has done the last two, can't remember who broadcasted the first two) control over when the games would be played. Just a tough break for Duke.

SilkyJ
02-05-2010, 02:55 AM

Are you serious? The "talent" difference is hardly nominal. You're talking about a 2-3 seed vs. an NIT Team.

NYC Duke Fan
02-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Are you serious? The "talent" difference is hardly nominal. You're talking about a 2-3 seed vs. an NIT Team.

Do you remember what happened at Raleigh this year ?

UrinalCake
02-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Regarding the scheduling/days off... it's fine for us to talk about it as fans, but I hope the team isn't harping about this a lot because I worry it might become somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you talk constantly about how you're supposed to be tired for a game, then all of a sudden you feel tired.

Schedules are uneven on a game-to-game basis, this isn't something new. We just had five days to prepare for Georgia Tech. I think we need to get over it.

The real question is whether Kyle's hot shooting from outside will continue, or whether it was a one-game aberration. I don't expect 8-10 from three again, but if he can stay at 40% for the rest of the season while we continue to develop our inside game then we're in pretty good shape.

camion
02-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Regarding the scheduling/days off... it's fine for us to talk about it as fans, but I hope the team isn't harping about this a lot because I worry it might become somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you talk constantly about how you're supposed to be tired for a game, then all of a sudden you feel tired.

Schedules are uneven on a game-to-game basis, this isn't something new. We just had five days to prepare for Georgia Tech. I think we need to get over it.

The real question is whether Kyle's hot shooting from outside will continue, or whether it was a one-game aberration. I don't expect 8-10 from three again, but if he can stay at 40% for the rest of the season while we continue to develop our inside game then we're in pretty good shape.

Georgia Tech also had five days to prepare for us so there's no inequality there. We have essentially no practice days to prepare for BC since we have to travel to Boston. They have five to prepare for us. That's significant. Looking at the GT and BC games I was more worried about BC than I was Tech precisely because of the travel and difference in preparation time. Tech is a more talented team than Boston College, but the other factors favor BC in their game with us.

gumbomoop
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Georgia Tech also had five days to prepare for us so there's no inequality there. We have essentially no practice days to prepare for BC since we have to travel to Boston. They have five to prepare for us. That's significant. Looking at the GT and BC games I was more worried about BC than I was Tech precisely because of the travel and difference in preparation time. Tech is a more talented team than Boston College, but the other factors favor BC in their game with us.

Agree with this. On some thread after G'town loss, I moaned about this extra "unbalanced" scheduling. And as -bdbd says in post earlier in this thread, the weather may pose additional travel-weary problems.

However...... everyone [save, perhaps Andre, but I'm guessing he's ok, too] must feel pretty good about last night's game, so emotionally they're surely not moaning about travel and schedule "unfairness" as much as I am! KS played brilliantly, LT was, as K noted in post-game, "the hidden story," both RK and MP2 had a nice play or 2, as did Z; JS and NS were.... JS and NS; and we're all delighted at JD's appearance and fierce in-traffic rebound.

So, I don't expect to see UNC-like lethargy tomorrow aft [for which there could be no explanation other than weather-travel]. Given the lack of prep time, it's good that we've already played BC, and Skinner's system can be no surprise that would require extra prep. I do expect BC to run his system pretty well, and would hope our D contains Trapani and Jackson from breaking out.

Duke is the better team, but every game is a challenge. I'm thinking the emotional "up" that derives from playing very well and getting back at GaT, and from getting distance from the G'town game, triumphs schedule weirdness.

gofurman
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Agreed - I am just looking at it from a "prep" perspective. This one stands out as I am not keen on Thursday/Sat set ups anyway but especially when the other team has had the whole week off. A week of film study makes a lot of diff- I bet they were together last night watching our game and looking at strengths and weaknesses.

sagegrouse
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM

In the good old days, not only did the ACC Tournament require a team play every day, but so did the NCAA Regionals and Final Four. These were Friday-Saturday games.

I remember thinking at the time that Duke, in losing to UCLA in 1964, had a much harder trip against Michigan the night before than UCLA had against Kansas State. We had lost to Michigan at Michigan during the season and won an emotional match in the semis.

BTW, surely we can all agree that the Fri/Sun and Thur/Sat games are done for the benefit of TV and revenue and not to give the players a rest.

Anyway, playing Thursday evening and then Sat. afternoon should not be a big deal physically on the players, despite what K has said in the past.

sagegrouse

arbee
02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Travel concerns regarding weather is not an issue. The storm is staying south, and there is NO snow in the forecast up here, in Boston.

UrinalCake
02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Travel concerns regarding weather is not an issue. The storm is staying south, and there is NO snow in the forecast up here, in Boston.

On the other hand, they're calling for snow in DC. Let's hope the Heels get stuck at the airport for a few hours before playing Maryland on sunday :D

lpd1982
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
IMO This team is a particularly emotional one. When they are up they are REALLY up and when, well.....When they are winning and in a zone in a tournament, like last year's ACC, they stay pumped.

I think they feel that they killed last night and they'll be on a high to bring that to Boston. I am almost glad that there is not much more in between time. Let last night's game be fresh in everyone's mind, B.C. , our players and especially Kyle.

BD80
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
The quick turnaround does not give Andre a chance to earn his way back onto the floor at BC.

Will the snow snow storm allow the Devils to return Saturday night? Will it allow unc to take off from DC and land a RDU Sunday?

Coach K sells the short turnaround as preparation for the tournament, preparation for SUCCESS. This is a great learning experience. The preparation was done before the GT game, tweaking the offense. BC will only have one practice to look at those new wrinkles.

Kedsy
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
The quick turnaround does not give Andre a chance to earn his way back onto the floor at BC.

I have no inside information, but my guess is K wanted to send a message to Andre and it was a one game message. Unless he's injured, I'd be surprised if he doesn't take off his warmups in the BC game. In fact, I'll be surprised if he doesn't get at least 8 to 10 minutes.

CDu
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
I have no inside information, but my guess is K wanted to send a message to Andre and it was a one game message. Unless he's injured, I'd be surprised if he doesn't take off his warmups in the BC game. In fact, I'll be surprised if he doesn't get at least 8 to 10 minutes.

I agree. I think the biggest concern with regard to this game is the fact that BC has had a full week to prepare for us, and we will only have a day to prepare for them.

Luckily, the game last night was less physical than the typical Duke/GT games (the two obvious incidents in the second half notwithstanding). So being battered/bruised should be a little less of a concern.

Hopefully we can play our game well enough that the extra prep time for BC doesn't cost us. It would be very nice to get another win, especially against a bottom-feeder in the ACC.

Kedsy
02-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I think the biggest concern with regard to this game is the fact that BC has had a full week to prepare for us, and we will only have a day to prepare for them.

Since we already played BC this year, do you think the prep time is maybe a little less necessary? Sure, it would be great to have time to physically go through the game plan instead of just remembering how they did it the last time, but it's not like they've never prepared for BC, right?

CDu
02-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Since we already played BC this year, do you think the prep time is maybe a little less necessary? Sure, it would be great to have time to physically go through the game plan instead of just remembering how they did it the last time, but it's not like they've never prepared for BC, right?

I worded my previous post poorly. I think the bigger issue is the prep time that BC has for us. I agree that our prep time for them is less of a factor, given that (a) we've seen them and (b) we're better than them. So it's less the relative time that we have compared to BC, but rather the amount of time that BC has to prepare for us.

arydolphin
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
First of all, no more weather discussions. Up here in Boston, we're not getting any snow at all, and the team will have no problem getting here today.

Second, BC is not that good of a team. I expect the game tomorrow to be the same way that the game was when BC played at Cameron: they will hang around in the first half, and then Duke will expand its lead in the second half. The BC crowd will be jacked up for the game, it's probably the biggest home game of the year for them. However, BC is nowhere near as good as they were last year, Tyrese Rice was a huge loss and they haven't found anyone to replace him at the point. They do have a couple of good wing players and some size underneath, but Scheyer and Smith on the outside for us have a huge advantage over whoever BC plays at those positions.

I've only seen BC play live one time this year, and they were awful against Maryland. In particular, Vazquez was able to dictate the tempo, and BC is not a team that is built to come from behind with the offense that Skinner runs. I'm not trying to sound overconfident, but I just don't think BC has the talent to match up with Duke for 40 minutes, especially if Singler has found his shot and Scheyer and Smith continue to play well.

CDu
02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
First of all, no more weather discussions. Up here in Boston, we're not getting any snow at all, and the team will have no problem getting here today.

Second, BC is not that good of a team. I expect the game tomorrow to be the same way that the game was when BC played at Cameron: they will hang around in the first half, and then Duke will expand its lead in the second half. The BC crowd will be jacked up for the game, it's probably the biggest home game of the year for them. However, BC is nowhere near as good as they were last year, Tyrese Rice was a huge loss and they haven't found anyone to replace him at the point. They do have a couple of good wing players and some size underneath, but Scheyer and Smith on the outside for us have a huge advantage over whoever BC plays at those positions.

I've only seen BC play live one time this year, and they were awful against Maryland. In particular, Vazquez was able to dictate the tempo, and BC is not a team that is built to come from behind with the offense that Skinner runs. I'm not trying to sound overconfident, but I just don't think BC has the talent to match up with Duke for 40 minutes, especially if Singler has found his shot and Scheyer and Smith continue to play well.

It will take a poor shooting game from our big three and/or a poor defensive effort against BC's flex offense (or a great gameplan from Skinner) for us to lose. Of course, both of those things could happen. Hopefully they will not. If we control the tempo, shoot okay, and don't have defensive lapses, we should win (and probably win comfortably).

-bdbd
02-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Second, BC is not that good of a team.

I've only seen BC play live one time this year, and they were awful against Maryland. In particular, Vazquez was able to dictate the tempo...

1) " the team will have no problem getting here today. " AS LONG AS THEY CAN GET OUT OF RDU, and no ATC delays ahead of them!

2) BC has had some good games, though, and quite a few awful ones. Anyone, even NCSU can step up at one time ... and we all know Duke has a big target on our back. We just haven't proven a lot on the road, which is concerning for our NCAA ambitions....

3) That (MD) result could just be a match-up issue, but Duke has no similar Vazquez types (6-6, athletic shooters) to "dictate" the same way. Hopefully we find our OWN way! Just hope Kyle, Jon and Nolan are able to finally all shoot well on the road!

Fingers crossed.

:rolleyes:

rfaison
02-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm just hoping that the snow in the DC area will have abated enough by game time that my DirecTV dish will be able to receive the ESPN signal. Right now I'm only getting local channels and even then I have to knock the snow off the dish every hour or so as the signal starts to breaks up. Curious how the local channels come through more strongly. I've noticed this before when there've been weather disturbances. Can anyone explain why this is?

mgtr
02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Well, the local channels use a double-twist franistan, while the nationals do not. In other words, I don't have a clue. But, they may be on different satellites. You know, it is possible to buy a heater for your dish to keep snow and ice at bay.

Newton_14
02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I am more worried about it being a road game than the short rest. We have to break this funk on the road. I want to see us play well and shoot well at the other guy's place for a change.

Nolan and Jon seem to never get tired, the bigs have a deep enough rotation that fatigue should never be an issue with them, and that only leaves Kyle who has proven to be the toughest SOB any of us have ever seen. If he can go 40-40-40 in an ACC tourney setting, he can handle this turn around. I mainly just worry about his wrist.

BC is really not much of a pressing team so that also helps. I feel good about this really, other than the fact we have not proven we can sustain our level of play on the road. But hey, maybe we start a new trend at BC and unx and get a little road winning streak going..

rfaison
02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Well, the local channels use a double-twist franistan, while the nationals do not. In other words, I don't have a clue. But, they may be on different satellites. You know, it is possible to buy a heater for your dish to keep snow and ice at bay.

Yeah I know, but then I wouldn't get to lean way out my bathroom window holding on to the very end of the broom handle hoping I don't lose my grip (on the broom as well as the window sill) as I swing it at the satellite dish bolted to the chimney overhead ... and then dodge the dislodged snow. Installing a heater would be way too easy don't you think?!

It seems I am going to miss Friday Night Lights tonight ... bummer ... so perhaps there will be a dish heater in my future.

77devil
02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Think I'll bump this one to the first page. Everyone must be sleeping in or shoveling snow.

JDev
02-06-2010, 09:31 AM
I must admit I am not thrilled that Duke will playing on one day's rest, and BC has had the week off to prepare. That has to be beneficial for them. Duke had a similiar situation going into the NCSU game. Hopefully, this one will bear out different results. This will be another opportunity for Duke to work on playing quality team defense, and shooting at a reasonable rate on the road.

DukieInBrasil
02-06-2010, 10:29 AM
The one day off might be ok, we had a excellent shooting touch as a team from 3, getting at least one 3 from 4 guys, and that touch might still be with them. If Kynolon Shmingler are anywhere near as effective in Boston as they were in Cameron then we'll be fine.
I like what LT has been bringing lately and Z was pretty solid against the bees. I would like for Miles to break out of his funk and post a game at least slightly better than what Mason did vs GT.
GO DEVILS

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I like what LT has been bringing lately and Z was pretty solid against the bees. I would like for Miles to break out of his funk and post a game at least slightly better than what Mason did vs GT.
GO DEVILS

I was thinking he same thing. I'd love to see our inside players get loose a little bit. I think Kyle shooting better should open things up for them. I hope he can pick up where he left off on Thursday night.

ACCBBallFan
02-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I think this days to prepare thing is overdone. It obviously has to even out over the course of 16 games ACC schedule in relatively fixed time frame except for a few games that took place on Dec 6 and Dec 20.

What would you rather have one more day to prepare for BC or one more day than UNC to prepare for the rivalry game?

riverside6
02-06-2010, 01:50 PM
live tempo-based stats here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3802

Starters are posted and no surprises for Duke

jipops
02-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty concerned about this one as well. The last two games our fg% defense has stunk, real...real bad. We're all well aware of our struggles on the road but I think the fact that our defense seems to be struggling (much like it did at this time last year) makes us ripe for yet another upset.

Hopefully we'll get more lights out shooting from Singler or someone else.

Bob Green
02-06-2010, 01:54 PM
In the first game, we beat BC on the glass 40-27. We will need another strong rebounding performance today. We are significantly bigger than BC so we should be able to score off offensive rebounds.

moonpie23
02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
tip at 2:10 now...

TNDukeFan
02-06-2010, 02:11 PM
starting the game now

fan345678
02-06-2010, 02:15 PM
did our game just disappear from 360 for anyone else?

le_modeliste
02-06-2010, 02:17 PM
YES - and now it's on COMMERCIAL BREAK for Mississippi v. I don't care. ARGH :mad:

lpd1982
02-06-2010, 02:19 PM
When they call a foul on Miles after 20 secs does it give anyone else deja vu re Zoubs first two years?

RoyalBlue08
02-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Reason #972 why I hate time warner cable....no ESPN 360. I guess I don't give them enough money every month!

Cockabeau
02-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Must we always get Mike Patrick to call Duke games?

And does toss a couple back before he calls our game?

CAT Blue Devil
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Are Elmore and Patrick actually watching the game or are they preparing for a sociology lecture?

Cockabeau
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Lance Thomas!

superdave
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Been watching on Espn360 in Arlington VA.

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice start. Everyone is involved. Love this flow of the offense. If we make a few outside shots, we'll be rolling. Lance turn around in the post was unexpected and awesome.

CAT Blue Devil
02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
100 points put on Nova.

Cockabeau
02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Ok, maybe its me but Mike Patrick is the absolute worst color commentator in the business...

....and he lets Len Elmore get away with the Anti-Duke propaganda...

lpd1982
02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Must have been bad if Len says it was intentional

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 02:36 PM
It was intentional, but they should have noticed it when it happened. Instead, they were talking about nonsense as usual. I tried to turn down the sound and listen to the radio, but the radio is ahead.

arnie
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Looks like Mason has learned from Zoubek the art of bringing the ball down to his knees when defended by a smaller player.

superdave
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Len Elmore just called Duke one of the finer fast break teams in the country. That's a direct quote.

He either has not seen us play or he has no idea what he's talking about. I'm pretty sure he's called 2-3 other Duke games this year, meaning he has no idea what he's talking about. How is he employed? Seriously....how do they bring him back year after year? I could think of 250-300 more accurate comments to make than that one.

dairedevil
02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Len Elmore just called Duke one of the finer fast break teams in the country. That's a direct quote.

He either has not seen us play or he has no idea what he's talking about. I'm pretty sure he's called 2-3 other Duke games this year, meaning he has no idea what he's talking about. How is he employed? Seriously....how do they bring him back year after year? I could think of 250-300 more accurate comments to make than that one.

The logic must be that since Duke averages 80+ points a game, then they must be a fast break team....

I don't know what announcers I want to listen to at this point.

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
There are 1000 radio guys in the country who could call a game more accurately and stay on point. Not sure why ESPN doesn't just hire one of those guys. It can't be because they need "face" for TV. Have you seen Patrick and Elmore?

striker219
02-06-2010, 02:43 PM

A horribly innacurate comment from him that is pro-Duke? I know the snow was bad yesterday, but I didn't realize there was any significant accumulation that far south.

(yeah, that was a mangled attempt at a hell-freezing-over joke, but I'm at work and a little distracted, sorry)

superdave
02-06-2010, 02:45 PM
A horribly innacurate comment from him that is pro-Duke? I know the snow was bad yesterday, but I didn't realize there was any significant accumulation that far south.

(yeah, that was a mangled attempt at a hell-freezing-over joke, but I'm at work and a little distracted, sorry)

Len Elmore is the new Billy Packer. Often wrong but never in doubt. Generally negative and condescending in tone. I need a drink. Or the mute button!

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Scheyer gets hand-checked or worse on every single drive. Why is that not called, ever? Kinda reminds me of how Paulus was treated. It made him look slower than he really was because he was getting held.

RoyalBlue08
02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Would it be too much to ask for BC to get an ACC caliber arena. This place is a dump, and and apparently has broken equipment. Remind me again why the ACC expanded.......

_Gary
02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Nice to see Jon finishing some of those acrobatic shots again. He had started missing some close in shots as of late but it looks like this game he's got that going again.

striker219
02-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Len Elmore is the new Billy Packer. Often wrong but never in doubt. Generally negative and condescending in tone. I need a drink. Or the mute button!

That's pretty good, because this quote...

Ok, maybe its me but Mike Patrick is the absolute worst color commentator in the business...

...had me thinking that it was nice of Billy Packer to get out of the game open up the Billy Packer award to the rest of the commentators out there.

RoyalBlue08
02-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone else notice when they list the five players on the floor for Duke at the bottom of the screen, it often lists Dawkins as one of them. Which of course leads me to get excited until I look at the floor myself and realize that he is in fact not on the floor. They have already tricked me twice. I refuse to fall for this in the second half!

Greg_Newton
02-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Must we always get Mike Patrick to call Duke games?

And does toss a couple back before he calls our game?

"Shot clock down to 10, and SCHEYER WITH THE FOUL!"

-Mike Patrick's call of Scheyer's three-point shot

Miles with another foul in the first minute... I continue my advocacy for keeping Miles' minutes the same but starting Z.

Great half on the road though, all things considered. D has been solid, and I'm LOVING the continued emphasis on motion offense. Why did we ever get away from it? It seems like it benefits all of our individual players' offensive games so much, and we look so much more fluid as a team.

Lance has also looked great this half... he's been doing a bit of everything, and doing it all right.

RockLobster
02-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Pretty good first half. We did a good job staying on our discipline - only 7 fouls isn't bad.

Inside play today has been excellent, our guards are driving to the basket well and rebounding has been solid, too.

I know that BC doesn't exactly have the best frontcourt in the ACC, but if we can pull out a win, it should be a conference builder heading into the game against Chapel Hill.

Duvall
02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Would it be too much to ask for BC to get an ACC caliber arena. This place is a dump, and and apparently has broken equipment. Remind me again why the ACC expanded.......

To be fair, it is one of the better hockey barns in the league.

superdave
02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Good point on Lance. He's playing well these days. He puts a lot of pressure on the perimeter with his quickness.

I'm enjoying watching JWilliams and Gottlieb crap on Roy Williams.

arnie
02-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Thought we played great for 10 1/2 minutes - course that's all the game I saw. I'm thinking Nolan may make 1st team ACC with Scheyer.

slower
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Dougie has apparently learned the word "backloaded" today.

RockLobster
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
To be fair, it is one of the better hockey barns in the league.

Isn't it the ONLY hockey barn in the league? And it's not even in the ACC, really, it's in Hockey East...:D

DukieInBrasil
02-06-2010, 03:07 PM
10pt half time lead is just fine. We started off terribly from behind the stripe, but i think we hit 3 in a row. Overall the FG shooting is great but terrible FT shooting. Will our bench see meaningful minutes in the second half?

ChrisP
02-06-2010, 03:08 PM
I almost had a stroke over that BS! It was CLEARLY an intentional foul by the BC player as he absolutely threw Z to the ground. Of course Jim Beam, er, I mean Mike Patrick, originally said the refs called goal tending. Um..Mike, that's kinda hard to call when the ball doesn't, you know, actually get up over the cylinder. But anyway...not only should it have been 2 shots and the ball for Duke, we didn't even get the 2 shots!!! WTF!!!

HOW is that NOT a shooting foul?!?

moonpie23
02-06-2010, 03:09 PM
"Shot clock down to 10, and SCHEYER WITH THE FOUL!"

-Mike Patrick's call of Scheyer's three-point shot

mike is losing it....i don't know if anyone else really caught it, but the other night as the game was starting he introduced it as # 9 duke against #19 Wake Forest...

they cut to him and jay in the cameron press booth and jay was about to lose it ....big huge grin on his face and looking at mike like he had just hit the pipe before the game....

hilarious..

Cockabeau
02-06-2010, 03:11 PM
The thuggery is getting really old.

Refs need to call fouls before a kid gets hurt.

The ACC is starting to look alot like the Big Ten...

superdave
02-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes, Zoubek got DDTed. It was obvious. But no call.

Yes, Zoubek got whistled for over-the-back 35 seconds later. No contact, but a whistle.

That's just the way it is, man. BZ gets hosed consistently. I'd like to see him get his money's worth on some fouls though. Makes you feel better when he draws blood, rather than some cheapy on a "moving" screen.

MChambers
02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
The thuggery is getting really old.

Refs need to call fouls before a kid gets hurt.

The ACC is starting to look alot like the Big Ten...

That foul against Zoubs was ridiculous and yet the refs didn't call it intentional after watching the replay. I think college basketball really needs to crack down.

AlaskanAssassin
02-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Anyone else notice when they list the five players on the floor for Duke at the bottom of the screen, it often lists Dawkins as one of them. Which of course leads me to get excited until I look at the floor myself and realize that he is in fact not on the floor. They have already tricked me twice. I refuse to fall for this in the second half!

hah, they just did it again!

_Gary
02-06-2010, 03:18 PM
mike is losing it

I know many of us are laughing when we talk about this, but in all seriousness the guy really is losing it. He needs to go because there's been a substantial drop in his ability to keep things straight over the last couple of years. And he was never that good to begin with. But at this point I almost feel bad for the guy because I think he's going a bit senile.

dairedevil
02-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Has anybody seen the "patent" for the Duke run? I know that over the years, Duke has frequently gone on a scoring streak that has put them ahead, or the game out of the opponent's reach. But isn't the "patented Duke run" really gotten overused?

Looks like we need to avoid a BC run.

_Gary
02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Boy, we are playing very poorly right now at the start of the 2nd half. Not getting to lose balls well.

Duvall
02-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Isn't it the ONLY hockey barn in the league? And it's not even in the ACC, really, it's in Hockey East...:D

Well, there's RBC. Not sure if that counts.

KShip21
02-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Would be nice to hit a FT. I don't think we've hit one since the game came on

Greg_Newton
02-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Boy, we are playing very poorly right now at the start of the 2nd half. Not getting to lose balls well.

We look tired. This is where I would like to see an underclassman or two come in and give us a boost... I understand sticking with the veteran lineup when they're playing well, but they're not right now.

Edit: Groooannn, well K gave me my wish, Mason just looks kind of nervous...

-bdbd
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM

The BC stadium, for those who haven't been there, is "cozy" and old. Having been to most of the ACC stadiums, the one that BC reminded me the most of was Cameron. The crowd isn't the same, and of course you have the hockey configuration, but it is fairly small and right on that (relatively compact) campus. If they ever got a tradition going, that place could really rock!

BTW, if anyone cares, BC could arguably be the second best academic school in the ACC (though I'd think UVA and maybe Wake might get a slight edge). Pretty suburban campus, nice area, and great football and hockey traditions.

Duke is looking good. Just gotta keep that defensive pressure up. I don't think BC has the scorers to keep up withy us if we are making our shots in the second half.

God love Gotlieb!! His halftime commentary is going straight to the Carolina bulletin board: "Boy, Jay, did you ever think that the Duke game against Carolina in this league really wouldn't matter... The UNC ineptitude is the story of the league this year, shaping the league...." (then went on to talk about the rear-loaded schedules of MD and Duke and others, with games against Carolina late, in anticipation of a good NC@CH squad).

Hmmm. Thanks Doug!!

:mad::mad::mad:

mike88
02-06-2010, 03:31 PM
zoubek is dominating the second half- I will be interested to see the +/- stats. Both Mason and Miles seem to have trouble on the road- Lance and Z are playing much better and Z matches up very well vs. BC.

Duke09
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
glad to see someone else see it. Zoub had a dominant few minutes with boards, rebounds, drawing fouls, and making baskets. And i've been as hard on him as anyone

DukieInBrasil
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
missing all the FTs is strange. We would be up 13 now if we just shot our average, but 2-8 is terrible.

cbfx3
02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Did I just see the old 1-4 offence?

Hermy-own
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Great high-low pass from Zoub at the top of the key to Mason down low, decent finish from Mason (he hesitated a bit, but made it work) and then the ball rimmed out. Still, good play. And then Zoub with the bucket a minute later. Nice work. Also, great motion offense all around - we have gotten tons of open jump shots from 10-15 ft.

superdave
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
We cant seem to build a comfortable lead. Guess we're a bit tired and the game is physical enough to be disjointed.

We spread our offense out a bit more to counter the physical play that BC started the 2nd half with. They were pushing us and making us hand the ball off with their over-play. So we seem to have adjusted by getting more spacing.

Nolan looks fantastic today.

dairedevil
02-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Would be nice to hit a FT. I don't think we've hit one since the game came on

At least our 25% FT percentage is matched by BC's 12.5% 3 pt shot percentage. Hopefully, the FT's will start falling as the game goes on..Jon just got 2!

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-06-2010, 03:39 PM
No Andre this game either?

AlaskanAssassin
02-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Doesn't look like it. Poor Dre.

karmacoma
02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
At least our 25% FT percentage is matched by BC's 12.5% 3 pt shot percentage. Hopefully, the FT's will start falling as the game goes on..Jon just got 2!

Boy oh boy this game shouldn't be close.:mad:

chrisheery
02-06-2010, 03:42 PM

If he was held out for not practicing well, not sure how he could play this game. They haven't practiced again to let him prove his effort.

dairedevil
02-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Doesn't look like it. Poor Dre.

Let's not get this conversation started again. I have to trust that Coach K has valid reasons for that decision.

ChrisP
02-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Crap! I had no idea he even had 4 fouls!

_Gary
02-06-2010, 03:48 PM
We've got to be careful. Lance just fouled out and this game could easily slip away. Had we hit our free throws at our normal clip it'd be over right now. Instead, we have a precarious lead.

karmacoma
02-06-2010, 03:51 PM
We've got to be careful. Lance just fouled out and this game could easily slip away. Had we hit our free throws at our normal clip it'd be over right now. Instead, we have a precarious lead.

This feels like one of those hold-your-breath-til-the-end kinda games....4-point turnaround on the blocked Nolan break...t/o...c'mon, fellas!

dairedevil
02-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Nice that we're hitting some outside shots on the road, and getting the offensive rebounds on the misses.

91devil
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
C',mon Nolan! C'mon, Mason! Be strong at the basket! Finish plays!

Son of Mojo
Would've liked to have seen some of Dawkins in this game. Oh well. There's still 3 minutes that he can get in there. Can we petition the 4 letter network to NEVER let Elmore & Patrick call any more of our games?? Patrick gets so much stuff wrong I think that he's been drinking and Elmore just holds onto his bias with an iron grip. If I have to hear him say we've gone over the back one more time..................:mad:

Cockabeau
Lance Thomas' "Scotch Plains" tattoo is pretty cool,imo...

superdave
02-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Len Elmore just declared "another over the back, no call" on Duke. So I rewound it and watched BZ get a clean rebound. I guess facts dont matter if you have a microphone strapped to your head.

If we hit75% of free throws, this game would be closed out by now.

mike88
02-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I am concerned that we are not seeing better decision making from Mason (or Miles for that matter) - we could really use their versatility on the offensive end but we can't just give away possessions/ free throws with bad turnovers and frustration fouls.

karmacoma
02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
C',mon Nolan! C'mon, Mason! Be strong at the basket! Finish plays!

ESPECIALLY Mason. If he can finish a few of these plays, I think it would help his road confidence immensely.

BIG free throws by Kyle. Let's go D!

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Miles and Mason are never on the floor together.

slower
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
This is NOT the time to shoot 3s when they aren't falling for you.

Thank God Nolan "gets it". Take it to the hoop and score or get fouled.

karmacoma
02-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Nolan!!!!!!

cbarry
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Did anyone else see Mason push Nolan and yell something at him with 1:56 left? We just missed a shot and Mason fouled the rebounder. Nolan went up to him and said something, then he pushed Nolan and shouted at him. The other guys walked with Mason up the court. Mason was taken out on the subsequent FT. When Nolan made a bucket on the next play, everyone congratulated him BUT Mason. What is going on between those 2. Is Mason just frustrated at today's game? I sure hope so. This doesn't look good for team chemistry.

AlaskanAssassin
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
wait, am I seeing this correctly? DAWKINS!

karmacoma
02-06-2010, 04:06 PM
wait, am I seeing this correctly? DAWKINS!

Oh boy. C'mon, Ryan.

Uggh.

slower
02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Patrick and Elmore are BOTH idiots.

Come on, Dre - knock these down!!

karmacoma
02-06-2010, 04:11 PM
This feels like one of those hold-your-breath-til-the-end kinda games....4-point turnaround on the blocked Nolan break...t/o...c'mon, fellas!

Nolan Nolan Nolan! Can I breathe normally again?

cbarry
02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
I blame this end of game meltdown on the slow-down game. I know this is a recurrent topic. We had built a decent 10-point lead with several minutes to go, then stopped looking to score, just milk clock. I wish we would quit that with so much time left. It just kills our rhythm and lets the opponent back in. Win or lose, this strategy really hurt us today. (not to mention missed FTs)

dairedevil
02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
only the 2nd 3 BC has scored today..ugh!

Son of Mojo
02-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Missed FT's are haunting us..........we need to pull this out.

karmacoma

Ah, nope.

slower

Not yet.

cbarry
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Up by 3 w/12 seconds to go, Duke really SHOULD foul. BC could only get 2 points! FOUL please!

91devil
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Man, that was a 'soft' finish. But we will take the win on the road.

Lulu
02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
can't believe freethrows almost doomed us. what was bc, 13/15?

dairedevil
Up by 3 w/12 seconds to go, Duke really SHOULD foul. BC could only get 2 points! FOUL please!

great defense against the 3. Not bad to get a road win after a rough game only 2 days ago

A-Tex Devil
Nice job by Zoubek not jumping into the guy on the pump fake at the end. That could have been an easy foul if he makes that mistake.