PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Virginia Tech 74, UNC-CH 70

DukeBlood
02-04-2010, 09:36 PM
UNC really needs this win. More for confidence then anything else. Its early but they are down to by seven.

CDu
02-04-2010, 10:03 PM
A battle of mediocrity out there. UNC started off playing the status quo, but they've really settled down and now have the lead at the half.

VT is not very good. They have a fantastic player (Delaney) and they have another guy who is better than his results suggest (Allen). The rest of those guys are terrible.

SupaDave
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Am I the only person that noticed 5 FRESHMEN on the floor to end the half for UNC?

grossbus
02-04-2010, 10:05 PM
hard to notice when game not available to me. :D

c'mon hokies!

CDu
02-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Am I the only person that noticed 5 FRESHMEN on the floor to end the half for UNC?

Pretty sure Drew was on the floor. He's a sophomore.

SupaDave
02-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Pretty sure Drew was on the floor. He's a sophomore.

He might as well be a freshmen. There's something brewing in Chapel Hill...

DukeBlood
02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
As i said earlier, UNC needs this. If they win, They have a chance at gaining some confidence and turning around this season. If they lose, The downhill slope just got steeper.

Obviously im pulling for Va-Tech but it really doesn't matter. These are two of the bottom half teams.

CDu
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
He might as well be a freshmen. There's something brewing in Chapel Hill...

Wouldn't read too much into it. I think it was a "let's not get the third foul on Davis or Thompson" thing.

crimsonandblue
02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
hard to notice when game not available to me. :D

c'mon hokies!

Try harder:

http://www.justin.tv/basketballjonez#r=h3Hj4XY

natedog4ever
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
God this is entertaining.

SupaDave
02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Wouldn't read too much into it. I think it was a "let's not get the third foul on Davis or Thompson" thing.

Oh I agree - but that's also a big part of what's brewing. Seeing as how Thompson is on the bench with four already...

Newton_14
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I thought it was against the rules around here to start an in-game thread involving the holes unless the lead was safe for the opposing team? Bad Karma and all that..

So to counter that... There is absolutely no way the holes lose this game. Impossible. They are just too good of a team to lose to this band of Hokies..

;);)

slower
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
The VT crowd is getting uglier and uglier as the game progresses. They've already thrown stuff on the court. I hate the Holes, of course, but I'm okay with any Seth Greenberg/VT loss at any time.

loran16
02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
So what's the deal. David Wear has got literally like 0 playing time before this game, and Henson has looked pretty weak and poor.

Are they making a leap here? Or is it just opportunity and matchups doing the talking? (Like say Lance and Zoobek having monster games every now and then)

Duvall
02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
No worries, Heel fans. Refs got this one on lockdown.

slower
02-04-2010, 10:42 PM
this may be the game where Henson finally "gets it".

Sorry, I meant to say "unfoRtunately" in the title, but I just posted something in the Ed Davis thread, so...

Sgt. Dingleberry
Without Delaney on the floor this is an epic battle of mediocre players...Nobody gets less out of their ability than Jeff Allen...

Cell-R
Uh oh, Henson has a few points.
I hope he reverts to being invisible after this game.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I am pretty confident that Henson isn't going to "get it" this year....If he wasn't so hyped he wouldn't really be anything to talk about...

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
What was that? A triple dribble by Larry Spew II?

slower
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
No worries, Heel fans. Refs got this one on lockdown.

Drew just carried the ball like a loaf of bread.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
After lucking his way into a steal, Larry Spew Jr. bails out VT by fouling Delaney...I love Spew...I hope he never leaves UNC...

Duke79UNLV77
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
ices his own FT shooter ...

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-04-2010, 11:09 PM
lol...How did that ball not go down for Graves? LOL!!!!

Cockabeau
02-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Larry Drew the third is my favorite UNC player.

K really dodged a bullet by "losing" that recruiting battle....

Cockabeau
02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Aw shucks....huckleberry lost again....

jv001
02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Ok guys I'm in Pigeon Forge, TN and cannot get the ugly blue's game. Is it over? What's happening? Go Duke!

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Oh yeah, it's done...Easy Ed and Larry Spew led the Heels to another loss...This just keeps getting better!

DukeBlood
Larry Drew the third is my favorite UNC player.

K really dodged a bullet by "losing" that recruiting battle....

Drew II is not a terrible PG, but he isn't a very good one either. I would say he is a average player(look at his statistics). He will never be a star, but can be a very good role player. This team needs someone to step up(Ed Davis most likely), to take the pressure off of him. |

Having said that, Man I smiled when UNC lost. Wheat or ChicagoHeel, What are your thoughts(not on Drew, but the game)

jimrowe0
Always a great night when duke wins and tarholes lose

loldevilz
UNC just lost again...good win for VT

DevilHorns
Tech takes it.

And the Hokies didnt even rush the court.....

SharkD
02-04-2010, 11:14 PM
So... who is Ol' Huckleberry going to throw under the bus at the post-game presser?

I didn't get a chance to watch this one; my wife, the UNC grad, preferred to watch something else.

SupaDave
02-04-2010, 11:15 PM
More basketball wise - anyone think Thompson starts next game?

DukeBlood
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
No, And he shouldn't. However, When Deon plays well, they win or play alot better. In their losses he is averaging around 8 PPG(I just took a brief look and did some poor math in my head, someone care to do the real math?) and probably around 16-18PPG in their wins. No one on this team is Hans, but someone desperately needs to step up.

Ed Davis and Deon need to step up for this team. They are the two that are the most ready to(Experience and talent wise). I know I just contradicted myself by saying he is being asked too much, but its now or never for him.

BlueintheFace
02-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I thought Roy said thing couldn't get any worse?

roywhite
02-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech takes it.

And the Hokies didnt even rush the court.....

Not good form to rush the court with a win over the 10th place team in your conference. :)

Cockabeau
02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Drew II is not a terrible PG, but he isn't a very good one either. I would say he is a average player(look at his statistics). He will never be a star, but can be a very good role player. This team needs someone to step up(Ed Davis most likely), to take the pressure off of him. |

Having said that, Man I smiled when UNC lost. Wheat or ChicagoHeel, What are your thoughts(not on Drew, but the game)

Dukeblood, disagree with you on this one.
Larry Drew is terrible just terrible.

jv001
02-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh yeah, it's done...Easy Ed and Larry Spew led the Heels to another loss...This just keeps getting better!

Thanks for the update on another heel loss. This just keeps getting better and better. As someone said it's a great day when Duke wins and unc loses. Now on to BC for a big road win. Kyle should be pumped as should all the Duke guys. Go Duke!

arydolphin
02-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Very amusing tweet from Andy Katz on UNC:
@ESPNAndyKatz Crazy thought: If UNC finishes last in the ACC will conference keep Heels out of Big Ten/ACC Challenge in 2010? Last place is odd team out.

DukeBlood
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Dukeblood, disagree with you on this one.
Larry Drew is terrible just terrible.

Really?

He shoots 44% from 3, 73% FT, 44% FG. For a guard those are decent numbers. Averages over 6 APG in 26 MPG(Thats impressive, really it is), he does have a problem turning it over but he isn't Ty(Lawson) or Ray(Felton).

He needs more help. As i have said, He wont be the teams offensive leader, and he shouldn't be. That doesn't make him a terrible player though. Im curious as to why you feel that way? Who are you comparing him to? Ty? John Wall? I have a feeling by the time his career is over he will be known as a better PG then Greg Paulus.

Ps. I realize you hate the Heels(as do I), but that shouldn't blind you

sagegrouse
02-04-2010, 11:27 PM
I came in late and alternated between UMd-FSU and Heels-Hokies. I only have one pithy observation:

The UNC offense in the last minute was the worst I have ever seen for a team trailing by exactly four points. It looked like a League B intramural game. The Heels were taking only 3PT shots and, therefore, VT was defending them very closely, in one case swatting a Ginyard prayer into the cheap seats. Hey Heels, VT was missing its FTs, why don't you pass inside for an easy shot and then foul?

I don't know who gets the blame -- the Coach or the guards -- but it was utterly mindless. Of course, they were punished by the basketball gods for their sins when Will Graves's 3 pointer with 15 seconds left went down into the basket before rimming out.

sagegrouse
'I am so disconsolate I might open a bottle of Champagne'

-bdbd
02-04-2010, 11:27 PM
You just gotta love this. Will they qualify for the tournament? It has become a legit question... Everyone seems to EXPECT them to go on a little late season run. But these guys just don't have it -- not the talent (at least not at a couple key positions), not mentally, and I don't even see it attitudinally. Can you say "play-in game" in Greensboro??

:D:D:D:D

OldSchool
02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
If UNC's season were happening to Duke, it would be the lead story on SportsCenter every night.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Drew II is not a terrible PG, but he isn't a very good one either. I would say he is a average player(look at his statistics).

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one...

He is far and away my favorite Tar Hole. That statement alone speaks volumes about his abilities.

DevilHorns
02-04-2010, 11:32 PM
If UNC's season were happening to Duke, it would be the lead story on SportsCenter every night.

I was thinking about this as well. Im not sure if this is true. I think the story can only go so far, bc then the losing just gets too redundant :D

DukeBlood
02-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one...

He is far and away my favorite Tar Hole. That statement alone speaks volumes about his abilities.

I dont see why. We will have to agree to disagree I supopse. Drew does an OK job getting the ball inside. He isn't always the best finding the right guy, but neither is Nolan Smith(I am not comparing these two, just saying). Would you disagree If I said he does a better job of getting the ball inside then our guards? I hope you wouldn't. I understand that UNC is way more reliant on their frontcourt then Duke but what im trying to say is I think you are watching the wrong part if you think he is a terrible PG.

If anyone can be your favorite player, It should be Marcus Ginyard, He has completely fell off the map for the Heels. I can't see what happened, He was a decent role player and a very good defender. Now? He is just... MIA.

Wander
02-04-2010, 11:36 PM
If UNC loses to Maryland this weekend, their fate will be completely in our hands. That would give them 7 conference losses, meaning a Duke sweep puts them at 7-9 AT BEST, and more likely worse. I'm not actually predicting a sweep or anything, but I would LOVE to be the team puts the final nail in their NCAA tournament hopes...

Edit: My math is a bit off. Still very possible that we can spend our last regular season game eliminating UNC's tournament bid though...

WiJoe
02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
@ESPNAndyKatz Crazy thought: If UNC finishes last in the ACC will conference keep Heels out of Big Ten/ACC Challenge in 2010? Last place is odd team out.

That's just stupid. Andy Katz should know better. Then again he works for that rag network that spews more stupid stuff than any other two or three sites combined.

dukelifer
02-04-2010, 11:43 PM

Winning a NC or 2 in the last 4 years will keep the sharks off for a while.

WiJoe
02-04-2010, 11:45 PM
You all should hold your breath until Duke actually beats the holes.

DukeBlood
02-04-2010, 11:48 PM
If UNC loses to Maryland this weekend, their fate will be completely in our hands. That would give them 7 conference losses, meaning a Duke sweep puts them at 7-9 AT BEST, and more likely worse. I'm not actually predicting a sweep or anything, but I would LOVE to be the team puts the final nail in their NCAA tournament hopes...

Edit: My math is a bit off. Still very possible that we can spend our last regular season game eliminating UNC's tournament bid though...

They have nine ACC games left, Two against Duke, One against GT, Wake, FSU, NCST, Miami, Maryland and BC. The way they have playing, Its hard to say "This game is a win". They should win the BC/Miami and NCST games, but the rest I have to believe they are not the favorite.

Even if the Heels win 5 of their remaining games, That puts that at 18-13 and 7-9 conference record. Thats a outside Bubble chance(If their name wasn't UNC its not even Bubble)

The way UNC is playing right now, Five wins against the schedule they have left is out of the question. As Roy said "It's time to step up, or shut up". I prefer silence...

alteran
02-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Winning a NC or 2 in the last 4 years will keep the sharks off for a while.

Actually, you'd think that would make the fall all that much better a story.

Duvall
02-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Actually, you'd think that would make the fall all that much better a story.

Yeah, I don't recall it quite working that way in 1995.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I dont see why. We will have to agree to disagree I supopse. Drew does an OK job getting the ball inside. He isn't always the best finding the right guy.

Hmmm....

I looked at Larry Spew's stats vs. Ohio St, Syracuse, Michigan St, Kentucky, Texas and the ACC (ignored his stats vs inferior opponents)

27.9 mpg
45% fg
38% 3 pt fg
9.4 ppg
6.3 apg
3.5 tpg

You are right...Those are really good numbers for a sophomore...He miserably fails the eye test, though...He was horrible tonight...I am not sure what to say, really...I am glad he is on UNC...I guess that is all i can say (Even if his numbers are decent)

DukeBlood
02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Hmmm....

I looked at Larry Spew's stats vs. Ohio St, Syracuse, Michigan St, Kentucky, Texas and the ACC (ignored his stats vs inferior opponents)

27.9 mpg
45% fg
38% 3 pt fg
9.4 ppg
6.3 apg
3.5 tpg

You are right...Those are really good numbers for a sophomore...He miserably fails the eye test, though...He was horrible tonight...I am not sure what to say, really...I am glad he is on UNC...I guess that is all i can say (Even if his numbers are decent)

Right now Im glad all of them are there :). I hate sticking up for UNC, but he isn't the problem IMO. I have my theories, but those are for another day.

devildownunder
02-04-2010, 11:58 PM
went to check the final score for unc/virginia tech and was amused to be reminded that you can't the north carolina scores on the top 25 scoreboard anymore. :)

oldnavy
02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
VT almost gave UNC this game. UNC may take some comfort in the fact that it was not a 20 point loss, but VT played poorly for most of this game and allowed the holes to stay close. VT had very poor shot selection, and were very impatient on offense for the majority of the game. I was not impressed with the way VT played, this should have been a 15+ point victory for the hokies.

CDu
02-05-2010, 09:14 AM
The only silver lining that they can take from this game is that maybe this was the game that things start to click for Henson. And they didn't quit when they were down 10-12 points early in a hostile environment. Other than that though, there's not much for them to go on.

UNC has their work cut out for them now. They can only lose three more times in the regular season if they want to make the tournament. That means going at least 3-3 against @Duke, Duke, @GT, @Maryland, @Wake, and vs FSU. That means they'll have to win at least one of those tough road games (more if they lose at home to Duke or FSU). It's not looking good for them.

The talent is still there, but they've got to get more from their guards night-in and night-out. Their frontcourt is good, but it's not good enough to completely overcome poor perimeter play.

Their game at Maryland borders on must-win. If they lose that and fall to 2-6, it'll take a monumental tournaround late in the season to make it to 8-8 in conference. Heck - even with a win it isn't going to be an easy road.

devildeac
02-05-2010, 09:37 AM

I'm thinking El Sid guides his bunch to the bottom this year.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
On the run, only time for some quick thoughts....

The team played with much more intensity the whole game, so it's improvement.

Unforced TO's continue to interrupt their flow and poor foul shooting kills them. They can only blame themselves for that.

The problem is not Larry Drew. He could play better, make better decisions at key moments, but he is a bright spot on this team.

I've been wanting him to penetrate the lane more all year, and he showed he can do it in the 1st half. If he could get some help from the wings where defenders had to stay honest on them and not slide down on Drew, he would torch teams with the dribble drive.

The problem, and it may not have the fix we'd like this year, is lack of production in all phases of the game from the 2 and 3 spot. Ginyard, Graves, McDonald and Strickland are just not getting it done. Where there is experience, there is a lack of skill, and where there is skill, there is a lack of experience.

Chitowndevil
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I just hope after this season we will finally, FINALLY, stop hearing about Roy Williams's "secondary break" offense and how revolutionary and amazing it is. Look, Roy can coach. But I think a lot of good coaches would look like offensive geniuses with Ray Felton and Ty Lawson at PG, not to mention off guards and big men who are good passers.

CDu
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
On the run, only time for some quick thoughts....

The team played with much more intensity the whole game, so it's improvement.

Unforced TO's continue to interrupt their flow and poor foul shooting kills them. They can only blame themselves for that.

The problem is not Larry Drew. He could play better, make better decisions at key moments, but he is a bright spot on this team.

I've been wanting him to penetrate the lane more all year, and he showed he can do it in the 1st half. If he could get some help from the wings where defenders had to stay honest on them and not slide down on Drew, he would torch teams with the dribble drive.

The problem, and it may not have the fix we'd like this year, is lack of production in all phases of the game from the 2 and 3 spot. Ginyard, Graves, McDonald and Strickland are just not getting it done. Where there is experience, there is a lack of skill, and where there is skill, there is a lack of experience.

I completely agree. And this is why the lack of development/readiness from Strickland and McDonald is so big. If they could play well enough offensively to share a rotation for most if not all of the 80 minutes at the 1/2 spots, then Graves and Ginyard could simply split minutes at the 3, and you wouldn't be relying on role players to provide your offense.

Until Strickland and/or McDonald are good enough to be scoring threats on a regular/consistent basis, this team isn't going anywhere. It's hard to say when (or if) that will happen this year.

I will say that if it does happen, then the team can be really dangerous. As you said, that would free up Drew to be more effective as a playmaker. It would also take the pressure off of Davis and Thompson to completely carry the team.

Hopefully (from my Duke perspective :)) the freshmen guards don't figure it out this year.

shoutingncu
02-05-2010, 01:20 PM
...The problem is not Larry Drew. He could play better, make better decisions at key moments, but he is a bright spot on this team...

I agree. I think Larry Drew is a better point guard than his teammates are allowing him to be.