PDA

View Full Version : Survey on luxury seating in Wade and Cameron

Jarhead
02-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Just a little while ago, I completed a survey conducted by PriceWaterhouseCooper on behalf of Duke athletics. I indicated that they should pass my response to the Administration. I was about as negative as I could get. I am not impressed with the survey, but that may be my negativity against such organizations as SWC and KPMG, particularly when they function as consultants instead of auditors.

As to the survey, they were asking if I approved plans for luxury suites and club seats with capital contributions required for as much as $20 grand on down to $500. I indicated that I was opposed, but only because such a move would detract from the existing stadiums. What I really objected to was the idea of asking for contributions for seat 20 year seat rights in certain sections in the West stands, and lesser contributions in the East stands. If any of this happens before the next season, then I will have seen my last football game in Wallace Wade Stadium... Unless, of course , someone makes the required donations for me. I'd advise against that, though. I am sure that, at my age, it won't be many more years that I will be able to sit in Wade for a whole game, or even a quarter.

A far as I am concerned, I have already paid my dues for my tiny little 3 or 4 feet of aluminum bench. When I retired from the Marine Corps at the end of the Viet Nam war I went to work at Duke. I was already an annual donor to the Annual Fund, and when the Iron Dukes was created, I was a charter member. While working there I tithed a good portion of my salary to that Annual Fund and the Iron Dukes. I have had my same seats in Wade for almost forty years, and have missed very few games. I had seats in Cameron up until about 1987, two years after I moved to the Washington, DC area. During that two years I was able to get to only about three games. Since I never expected to move back to North Carolina, and since most games were on TV, I decided to save the money, and gave up my seats. Too bad, because I retired to Southern Pines 16 years ago. Who knew?

This has made me a bit emotional. If I lose my Wade seats because of some grandiose plans to appease the big dogs, they will get not a penny from me in the future. I will still root for the Blue Devils, I will still brag on my degree from Duke, and I will hope that my grandchildren that are interested in going to Duke will be able to do so. The first is likely to enter with the Class of 2014.

devilish
02-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I would prefer it if they went with a plan like NC State developed when Amato was there. Lifetime rights to the seats and the ability to appoint a successor. If Duke did this, you could guarantee your seats for your life and the lives of your beneficiaries as long as the seatholder maintians membership in the Iron Dukes.

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Duke needs to get the fans in the stands first and let the fans make them a commodity before the athletic office forces commodity status on them. Much like Devil's Alley, which they are wanting to expand even though the tents were never fully occupied last year. Brunchgate's was, and the two tents next to ours were...but that was it. The others filled maybe an hour before game time and emptied shortly after the half. Same with the seats in Wallace Wade. Lets see them filled for both halves before requiring big money.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2010, 01:40 PM
To me an important point is that it's important not to drive away the folks who been there where there were only two people in an entire section. Right now I feel as if my contributions and longevity get me better basketball seats than football seats.

Jarhead
02-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Did anyone else get invited to the survey? What did you all think of it? If you didn't, this is the link (https://surveycenter.pwc.com/se.ashx?s=4E651A717AEAB9B908CC7323367F32230F). I don't know if I am personally identified in the link, but I assume that I am. If it lets you in, you will get an idea of what they are looking for. If a whole bunch of you use this link and SWC gets a ton of replies from Jarhead, maybe somebody will listen to me, or not.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Did anyone else get invited to the survey? What did you all think of it? If you didn't, this is the link (https://surveycenter.pwc.com/se.ashx?s=4E651A717AEAB9B908CC7323367F32230F). I don't know if I am personally identified in the link, but I assume that I am. If it lets you in, you will get an idea of what they are looking for. If a whole bunch of you use this link and SWC gets a ton of replies from Jarhead, maybe somebody will listen to me, or not.

I completed the survey earlier this afternoon. I think it went out to season ticket holders whether they are Iron Dukes or not.

Lid
02-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I got the survey as well, and I have season tickets through the Employee Pass, not through Iron Dukes.

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Right now I feel as if my contributions and longevity get me better basketball seats than football seats.
There are worse basketball seats than football seats?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Yup, I got it. I answered (basically) NFW (NoF'ingWay) to all of their fees.

buddy
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I too got the survey, and generally seconded Ozzie. (It's never good to disagree with Ozzie.) I personally have no interest in a private box or a club seat. I agree that job #1 is to get paying fans in the seats before selling private boxes. Also, for those of us who have suffered through 0-12 and 1-11 to be told to move to the end zone now that the team is good, so some johnny come lately high rollers can have our seats is the height of ingratitude. I probably no longer attend.

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Also, for those of us who have suffered through 0-12 and 1-11 to be told to move to the end zone now that the team is good, so some johnny come lately high rollers can have our seats is the height of ingratitude. I probably no longer attend.
Or for the ones that have enjoyed the end zone tickets because of the great value to be told that we need to watch on TV. I have no problem paying more for tix, even in the endzone, but make sure that when I buy them I have trouble then sitting anywhere I want.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
There are worse basketball seats than football seats?

That isn't what I said nor is it what I meant.

The point I was trying to make is that longevity is considered and rewarded for basketball seats, but doesn't seem to be a part of the format for football seating. Prior to the 2008 season annual giving amounts without regard to longevity were set for access to seating in specific ares in the reserved sections. Probably an SEC thing applied before we actually sell out or fill the stadium.