PDA

View Full Version : Wampum

ehdg
05-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I read the slight blurb on our site about Wampum and was interested. I clicked on the link and read how it's a private site and I would need a name and password to get in. I'm interested in reading more on & about this site but need to get invited I'm assuming. So would so one be kind enough to send me an invite please.

Tks.

-jk
05-09-2007, 11:52 AM
When I clicked on a banner ad link, it sent me here (http://www.wampum.com/index.php?_action=bannerad), asking me to fill out an application/self referral.

-jk

ehdg
05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Thank you. I guess that was my error. I clicked on the link in the article and not the banner.

-jk
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd done the same thing. So I kept refreshing until the Wampum ad (finally) came up.

-jk

BluBones
05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm chiming in because Wampum is my joint. If you have any questions you can post them here or mail me directly.

One thing that the kind and generous blurb on the Main page didn't make clear is exactly how the Wampum community we have currently built is ordering its membership. Wampum communities are exclusive: everyone in one went to the same school and does the same thing for a living. In the future we would like to build Wampum communities for Duke doctors, Duke lawyers, Duke I-bankers, Duke real estate professionals or Duke any-profession- we-can-think-of-where- there-is-enough- of-an- expectation-of- affluence-that-we- can-sell- ads-or- charge- fees- at-a-good-rate. We also want to build Wampum communities for other schools.*

We're starting with Duke investment professionals on the buy side of the securities markets. That means that for now, if you didn't go to Duke and aren't an investor of size or don't work for an investor of size (size means a healthy eight figures), we don't yet have a community built for you. This limitation is our fault. Our startup capital is limited. We are starting with Duke because I went to Duke. We are starting with the buy side because that's where the money is.

We aren't completely rigid on this. Internet business models are mercurial beasts. It has occurred to us recently (um, the day before yesterday?) that a lot of institutional players on the sell side have plenty to say that will interest the buy side. We will probably be loosening up that aspect of our restrictions soon.

If if seems like we're making this up as we go along, it's because we are.

I welcome comments, suggestions and questions.

*The usual top-twenty schools in the US, as well as the top schools in Europe and Asia. Even if by some miracle it should claw its way into the top-twenty, there will never ever be Wampum communities for UNC. ;-)

BluBones
05-10-2007, 11:42 AM
One more thing. If you're active in the wireless sector, you probably noticed that the WSJ and Bloomberg finally picked up the chatter on the AT buyout yesterday. That chatter has been on Wampum for more than a week. ;-)

Cavlaw
05-10-2007, 01:47 PM
It sounds like a cool concept, but I would suggest being a bit careful with trying to develop a community involving lawyers for a couple reasons: (1) those of us in biglaw generally aren't allowed to trade in securities and so probably won't make you any money, and (2) we're an insider trading violation waiting to happen if we every post a fanciful speculation and it turns out our firm (unbeknownst to us) was somehow involved in that transaction.

Best of luck! Go Duke (investors)!

Indoor66
05-10-2007, 02:09 PM
How about putting up the site address again. I do not see it on the homepage.

Thanks

BluBones
05-10-2007, 08:46 PM
It sounds like a cool concept, but I would suggest being a bit careful with trying to develop a community involving lawyers for a couple reasons: (1) those of us in biglaw generally aren't allowed to trade in securities and so probably won't make you any money, and (2) we're an insider trading violation waiting to happen if we every post a fanciful speculation and it turns out our firm (unbeknownst to us) was somehow involved in that transaction.

The site for lawyers wouldn't be for discussing investments. It would be for discussing law, the business of practicing law and life in general among other lawyers who went to Duke. Each community is for checking in with others who do the same thing for a living you do and who went to the same school.

BluBones
05-10-2007, 08:49 PM
How about putting up the site address again. I do not see it on the homepage.

Thanks

The address of the site (useful only if you already have an ID and password) is www.wampum.com.

The address of the form for signing up for an ID is http://www.wampum.com/index.php?_action=bannerad

BluBones
05-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Another thing... all Wampum communities have areas where members can make posts which are effectively beyond discovery: the posts vanish w/i 24 hours; they are never backed up to tape; and are rarely even written to disk. Nothing is perfectly beyond discovery, of course. There is risk even in an outdoor conversation while walking. These areas are the safest solution we could think of for an Internet community.