PDA

View Full Version : G town loses at home to USF

robed deity
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Predictable I guess...

11-22 from the line today. Didn't they hit their first 12 on Saturday? Arghhhh

tbyers11
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Just watched the last 8 minutes of this game. Classic letdown game. USF outscored GTown 46-29 in the second half. Dominique Jones was unstoppable for USF with 29 (22 in 2nd half).

Monroe was keeping GTown close but fouled out with 3 minutes left. The Hoyas missed close shots, open 3's and free throws (1-6 in the last couple of minutes).

rthomas
02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
We in WV love it.

dukelifer
02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Just watched the last 8 minutes of this game. Classic letdown game. USF outscored GTown 46-29 in the second half. Dominique Jones was unstoppable for USF with 29 (22 in 2nd half).

Monroe was keeping GTown close but fouled out with 3 minutes left. The Hoyas missed close shots, open 3's and free throws (1-6 in the last couple of minutes).

A much different team when they do not shoot 72%- imagine that. They will likely lose the next game as well against Nova.

91devil
02-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Classic 'trap' game. Playing USF in between playing Duke and Villanova, the Hoyas were probably not fully focused.

pfrduke
02-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Fun schedule factoids:

Georgia Tech

1/9 W v. Duke, 71-67
1/13 L @ Virginia, 75-82

NC State

1/20 W v. Duke, 88-74
1/23 L @ Maryland, 64-88

Georgetown

1/30 W v. Duke 89-77
2/3 L v. S. Florida 64-72

Wisconsin
12/2 W v. Duke 73-69
12/5 W v. Grambling 79-46
12/9 L @ UW-Green Bay 84-88

All four teams that beat us lost within a week to teams that are not as good as we are, and for three of them it was the very next game. My completely unscientific observation is that teams get psyched up to play Duke.

miramar
02-03-2010, 10:21 PM
They must have gotten worn down from making all those shots last Saturday.

sagegrouse
02-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Our team is a thermonuclear device, but with a delayed fuse of about three days.

sagegrouse

wolfpackdevil
02-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I know this might sound stupid, but USF is actually pretty good.

They've won 4 straight Big East games for the first time in school history. And Dominique Jones is scoring at will right now.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
They must have gotten worn down from making all those shots last Saturday.
Shooting averages are shooting averages because they are the average. Shoot 72% in one game and you'll eventually get that back to your norm, which means you'll have games where you can't throw it in the ocean. State had a game like that tonight in their loss at UVA. :(

dukemsu
02-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Had I been in Vegas today, would have put major dollars down on USF.

Some things never change.

dukemsu

ScreechTDX1847
02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Classic 'trap' game. Playing USF in between playing Duke and Villanova, the Hoyas were probably not fully focused.

I really hate that "trap game"conversation. Media fodder for the most part. I think I hear it in every single game I watch by anybody.:rolleyes:

rotogod00
02-04-2010, 08:43 AM
doesn't help our resume come selection sunday

RepoMan
02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
The Big East is very good this year. Hard to argue that it's not a lot better than the ACC this year.

duke4life32182
02-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I couldn't believe the score when I saw it on the scoreboard last night. I guess we bring the best out in some teams.

Gewebe14
02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't think its a big deal - it should ultimately help us stay in the 2 seed conversation as long as we take care of ACC business.

greybeard
02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I thought that Georgetown was pointing towads Duke because it had gotten a tad snippy last year after Monroe got the tech and then Singler didn't, and Duke pulled easily away, after Georgetown had gotten close.

Said so going into the game. I think that that focus got in the way of Georgetown's game against Syracuse and then against SF. I think the same type focus for Duke on Georgia Tech got in its way last Saturday.

This seems to be happening more and more in college sports. Few teams seem seasoned and powerful enough to play on an even keel game after game.

At about the mid-way point in the second half, SF was shooting close to 80 percent from the field and Georgetown around 30, if that.

They're kids who play too many games against too many powerful teams, it seems to me. While it is great for couch potatoes, don't Georgetown and Duke play in powerful enough leagues to be able to do without playing one another in the midst of the meat of their league seasons?

-bdbd
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Shooting averages are shooting averages because they are the average. Shoot 72% in one game and you'll eventually get that back to your norm, which means you'll have games where you can't throw it in the ocean. State had a game like that tonight in their loss at UVA. :(

And I hear that USF actually played DEFENSE against them. That always tends to hurt shooting percentages a bit too.

:rolleyes: :p

BlueDevilCorvette!
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
It really irks me how teams play Duke with such energy and emotion but then play teams with less notoriety (and some cases talent) and they lay an egg. I guess beating Duke is the golden egg for most teams to get into the NCAA and with a decent seeding. Teams will shoot lights out against Duke and play energized defense but then the same team will play a few days later and then can't hit a hog in the head with a brick (as my grandfather use to say). My gut feeling says UNC's shots "may" start falling on next Wednesday...it's just the nature of things. Let's hope Duke can match the intensity of other teams who so desperately want to defeat them during this juncture of the season.

greybeard
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
And I hear that USF actually played DEFENSE against them. That always tends to hurt shooting percentages a bit too.

:rolleyes: :p

When you play the game (offensively) the way Georgetown did against Duke it is an extraordinary event. What does it take going in to have players so sharp individually and in sync collectively and what is left afterwards? When individuals are shooting from deep the way Georgetown's guards were, and people were creating lanes and others seeing them and people delivering the ball the way the entire team was, defense is irrelevant.

People always mistook the Princeton as played by Pete Carrill's teams as stall ball. It produced remarkably easy looks, and at its best was as good as the offensive game gets. That kind of offense cannot be stopped. Georgetown played that kind of offense against Duke. I think it took an awful lot going in, and has left them emotionally and mentally drained.

bird
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
They're kids who play too many games against too many powerful teams, it seems to me. While it is great for couch potatoes, don't Georgetown and Duke play in powerful enough leagues to be able to do without playing one another in the midst of the meat of their league seasons?

If I am getting a big emotionally exhausted, how about for the kids, where every other game is our "biggest game of the year" for our team, and it seems like for the other side it is always the biggest game? The pressure is just relentless.

Wander
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
It really irks me how teams play Duke with such energy and emotion but then play teams with less notoriety (and some cases talent) and they lay an egg. I guess beating Duke is the golden egg for most teams to get into the NCAA and with a decent seeding. Teams will shoot lights out against Duke and play energized defense but then the same team will play a few days later and then can't hit a hog in the head with a brick (as my grandfather use to say). My gut feeling says UNC's shots "may" start falling on next Wednesday...it's just the nature of things. Let's hope Duke can match the intensity of other teams who so desperately want to defeat them during this juncture of the season.

Not to single you out in particular, but I've always hated this argument from Duke/UNC/etc fans and thought it was complete nonsense and excuse-making. Did Gonzaga, Clemson, Long Beach State, and so on have their best games against Duke?

I've also never, not once, seen Duke outmatched in terms of intensity. This is in fact my favorite part of Coach K, that his teams NEVER let up, and I'm pretty certain I say that objectively. We lose games of course, and occasionally by wide margins, but it's always for other reasons.

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
How many McD All-Americans are on USF's roster?!

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
If I am getting a big emotionally exhausted, how about for the kids, where every other game is our "biggest game of the year" for our team, and it seems like for the other side it is always the biggest game? The pressure is just relentless.

They knew that comes with the territory when they chose to play for Duke. So that's not an excuse. They chose to play for the "hunted", rather than for the "hunters." That's why America is so awesome - we all have choices in life...