PDA

View Full Version : Ed Davis Q&A

Misunderestimated
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Anyone else think that the Q&A session linked on the front page might not be legit? Maybe I'm off on this one, just wondering if that sight is for real.

Newton_14
02-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Anyone else think that the Q&A session linked on the front page might not be legit? Maybe I'm off on this one, just wondering if that sight is for real.

I actually think it is real. I was going to put up a thread on it myself as this is a good one to discuss, but had not gotten around to it yet. Thanks for getting it started.

Still digesting it and not sure how I feel about it at this point. I am interested to see what other DBR folks think about it..

AlaskanAssassin
02-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Yeah it's legit, he is spreading it on his twitter:

http://twitter.com/eddavis32

TheRose77
02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
He's no Mark Titus, that's for sure.

Duke79UNLV77
02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
He's not too shy about using the "n" word on twitter. I bet a lot of coaches lose sleep over twitter.

jdj4duke
02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
IC taking it as real

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=5566327

IC says the page is down but maybe not-

moonpie23
02-03-2010, 02:40 PM
He's not too shy about using the "n" word on twitter. I bet a lot of coaches lose sleep over twitter.

twitter and of course, U-STREAM TV....where an athlete can basically do an un-supervised "interview" and none of the coaching staff would ever know about it...

bet THAT scares some coaches...

SilkyJ
02-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I hope its real, otherwise we have another case of identity theft on our hands.

And if there's anything Dwight Schrute has taught us (and let's face it, he's taught us many things) its that millions of people suffer from identity theft every year!

oldnavy
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Is it just me or does anyone one else get the feeling that something very strange is going on over at the hump???

Maybe Ol Roy's reaction is not to just the play on the court....

Would anyone be surprised if this team imploaded soon??

KyDevilinIL
02-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Well if they do, they better get over it. Twitter – or Facebook, or whatever else or whatever's next – isn't going anywhere, and trying to police what every student athlete says or does on the Internet is a losing battle. All coaches can do is talk to the players about being responsible and hope they listen, just as any good coach does in regard to any potentially detrimental activity.

That said, I'm not convinced what Davis is doing is detrimental at all. Sure, maybe some of us would like to see a player interact with people with a little more polish and decorum, but that's just our opinion.

allenmurray
02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Well if they do, they better get over it. Twitter – or Facebook, or whatever else or whatever's next – isn't going anywhere, and trying to police what every student athlete says or does on the Internet is a losing battle. All coaches can do is talk to the players about being responsible and hope they listen, just as any good coach does in regard to any potentially detrimental activity.

That said, I'm not convinced what Davis is doing is detrimental at all. Sure, maybe some of us would like to see a player interact with people with a little more polish and decorum, but that's just our opinion.

Coaches have more power than you give them credit for. Embarass the program and you don't play. However, it is only power if you choose to use it and if you are willing to sacrifice a few wins for an opportunity to engage in character building.

BD80
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
.... Would anyone be surprised if this team imploaded soon??

Compared to losing AT HOME to UVA by 15?

Compared to losing to College of Charleston?

Compared to losing 4 out 6 this year?

How do YOU define impload? (No Mr. Doherty, you are not permitted to field this question).

airowe
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
the hell is u talkin bout?

slower
02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
How do YOU define impload?

how do you spell it? ;)

PSurprise
02-03-2010, 03:51 PM

This has to go on a sign when they come to Cameron

gotham devil
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Despite coming from money, I remember that there were rumblings about his transcript, when he came out of high school.

JG Nothing
02-03-2010, 04:02 PM

carolina fans must be very proud. :rolleyes:

Lord Ash
02-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I am absolutely appalled and disgusted by how blatantly stupid many young people nowadays sound in their written communication. I see this in my own younger relatives all the time, and it has only been made worse by the interwebz. It honestly breaks my heart to see.

jjasper0729
02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I am absolutely appalled and disgusted by how blatantly stupid many young people nowadays sound in their written communication. I see this in my own younger relatives all the time, and it has only been made worse by the interwebz. It honestly breaks my heart to see.

Had a discussion with the producer for CBS of the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament last year. We both agreed that e-mail/instant messaging and texting were the death of proper English and proper grammar. Noone uses correct spelling for anything anymore. ("r" for "are"; "u" for "you"). Add into that twitter now and it's all run amok.

Matches
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Lots of the Duke players (and recruits) are on Twitter and somehow they all manage to sound more intelligent than David or DrewII. Those guys really aren't doing UNC any favors.

crote
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
So have any DBRers put any questions before the learned Mr. Davis yet? What did you ask?

gotham devil
02-03-2010, 04:40 PM

As they say, the world needs ditch diggers. In this instance, he was bred to be a basketball player, not a neurosurgeon or an investment banker.

RainingThrees
02-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Great interview!! Very classy and professional, forget Carolina, this man is ready for the NBA.

In all seriousness this might be the worst interview I have ever seen or heard from a college athlete.

jdj4duke
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
So have any DBRers put any questions before the learned Mr. Davis yet? What did you ask?

I asked which of his classes he was most enjoying this semester. No reply yet but I am sure one is forthcoming

SupaDave
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Well I wouldn't call this an interview. In his defense - he's quite candid considering some of the questions - especially when they are coming in probably by the dozens and he's getting to them as he can.

I would have lost my cool and REALLY embarrased the university on some questions but he DOES use a bit of humor as if these "interviewers" are actually entertaining HIM. The "I thought I was diesel" comment and the NOT wanting to be compared to Henson statement being fighting words are just comical.

He doesn't lash out one time which is all too easy for someone of his age group. He doesn't strike me as the kind of kid to give the crowd the finger if you get my drift...

El_Diablo
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Noone uses correct spelling for anything anymore.

That's an ironic statement.

weezie
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Wha'?? You mean the Roman succession one wasn't asked by a Dukie?

oldnavy
02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Had a discussion with the producer for CBS of the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament last year. We both agreed that e-mail/instant messaging and texting were the death of proper English and proper grammar. Noone uses correct spelling for anything anymore. ("r" for "are"; "u" for "you"). Add into that twitter now and it's all run amok.

Dude, I couldn't spell long before the internet or twitter! Just see how I spelled implode one of my previous posts!:eek:

oldnavy
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Compared to losing AT HOME to UVA by 15?

Compared to losing to College of Charleston?

Compared to losing 4 out 6 this year?

How do YOU define impload? (No Mr. Doherty, you are not permitted to field this question).

Not by any of the above criteria. That is a blip on the radar IMO. What I mean by implode is something major like a player or two leaving/transferring and calling out Ol Roy, or some type of major fissure within the program between the upper and lower classmen or players and coaches or a combo of any or all.
Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I am hoping for much more than just a mediocre season, I want total annihilation, you know Old Testament type of stuff!

DoubleDuke Dad
02-03-2010, 05:26 PM

No wonder UNC is loosing all those games. Gary ("What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?") Coleman is on the team. :)

Lord Ash
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
As they say, the world needs ditch diggers. In this instance, he was bred to be a basketball player, not a neurosurgeon or an investment banker.

Yeah, but you do not need to be a neurosurgeon or banker to type "you" instead of "u." Any native English speaker should do it, automatically. It takes no extra thought or effort.

*sigh*

Glad, at least, that on THIS forum I am preaching to the choir, although this place is THE exception rather than the rule.

Indoor66
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Glad, at least, that on THIS forum I am preaching to the choir, although this place is THE exception rather than the rule.

I agree but we do have a group of posters who take abbreviation to the edge.

Lord Ash
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I agree but we do have a group of posters who take abbreviation to the edge.

Right? 1a! 1b! 1c!

;)

9F.

Newton_14
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Well I wouldn't call this an interview. In his defense - he's quite candid considering some of the questions - especially when they are coming in probably by the dozens and he's getting to them as he can.

I would have lost my cool and REALLY embarrased the university on some questions but he DOES use a bit of humor as if these "interviewers" are actually entertaining HIM. The "I thought I was diesel" comment and the NOT wanting to be compared to Henson statement being fighting words are just comical.

He doesn't lash out one time which is all too easy for someone of his age group. He doesn't strike me as the kind of kid to give the crowd the finger if you get my drift...

I agree with you on this one Supa. I do not like the language our young people use in this new age of the "ebays and internets" to quote one Bobby Bowden any more than the next guy. But instant messaging and twitter has somewhat promoted shortened/broken variants of the English language.

But as you note, this type of forum also exposes the vileness and hatred of adults that should know better through the questions that come into such Q&A sessions. I imagine the questions come in from all ages of people many of whom are likely adults. All one has to do is scroll down to the comments section under any type of web article be it sports, politics, crime, etc and you will find out just how hateful people can be. It's sickening to be honest.

That said, the twitter comments from Easy Ed and others are not real good. Those guys need to show better judgement or lose the privilege of having their twitter accounts/etc.

DevilHorns
02-03-2010, 06:01 PM

For the sake of argument, its just the evolution of the English language. The evolution is increasing now bc of texting/internet/etc.

There will always be proper formal rules for the English language, but slang and colloquialisms have always been around, and always will.

SupaDave
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
For the sake of argument, its just the evolution of the English language. The evolution is increasing now bc of texting/internet/etc.

There will always be proper formal rules for the English language, but slang and colloquialisms have always been around, and always will.

Welcome to English. The hardest language in the world. Chopped and broken to fit EVERY culture there is... Hey Yall.

Lord Ash
02-03-2010, 07:47 PM

I actually think of that often, and consider how language rules are not some godly gift, and that maybe we should APPRECIATE the streamlining of a difficult language... but in the end, I always come back to the same place.

SilkyJ
02-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Lots of the Duke players (and recruits) are on Twitter and somehow they all manage to sound more intelligent than David or DrewII.

Uh, there's a reason for that. I'll let you guess what it is.

I took the "101" portion of a course at Duke and then the "102" portion at UNC, it was liking taking a college class and then a high school class. I remember showing up to the 2nd mid-term exam in my Duke hoodie, finishing it in 18 minutes (50 minute long class), turning to the ~75 person class on my way out and giving my hoodie a little Danny Ewing "Pop" since I was the first one done....and I'm not one of those fast test takers.

I asked why he can't type in any form of decent English and if he realizes that most of the educated world has no idea what he's actually saying. I wonder what he'll say...:rolleyes:

bluepenguin
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
If this is legit, you gotta think he is gone after this year:

i know youre projected high in the draft if you want to leave but would you really enjoy riding the pine in the league while you put on weight over winning titles at unc?

who said i would be riding the pine

are you going to comeback next year?

u just have to wait and see

CLT Devil
02-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Not by any of the above criteria. That is a blip on the radar IMO. What I mean by implode is something major like a player or two leaving/transferring and calling out Ol Roy, or some type of major fissure within the program between the upper and lower classmen or players and coaches or a combo of any or all.
Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I am hoping for much more than just a mediocre season, I want total annihilation, you know Old Testament type of stuff!

How about the players' parents publicly call out the coach, ala Sean May, and air out all the dirty laundry that Huck has....that would be delightful.

I, too, want mass hysteria...Huck's radio show is nice, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a Barbara Walters type interview where Roy talks about how great his life is, but the pressures of a fickle fanbase and ego-tripping players cause him to break down on natty TV.

allenmurray
02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
I took the "101" portion of a course at Duke and then the "102" portion at UNC, it was liking taking a college class and then a high school class. I remember showing up to the 2nd mid-term exam in my Duke hoodie, finishing it in 18 minutes (50 minute long class), turning to the ~75 person class on my way out and giving my hoodie a little Danny Ewing "Pop" since I was the first one done....and I'm not one of those fast test takers.

And yet we wonder why other fan bases think of Duke fans as arrogant. Follow the advice of Jerry Rice - act like you've been there before.

Lord Ash
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM

It is not a "Danny Ewing 'Pop'" unless you got T'ed up for it.

uncwdevil
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
And yet we wonder why other fan bases think of Duke fans as arrogant. Follow the advice of Jerry Rice - act like you've been there before.

+1

Popping your shirt to the rest of class because you finished the exam first? Really?

Jeff Frosh
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Q: What's your favorite nba team?

A: The nets they have been playing good lately

The Nets are 4-44 and have lost 15 of their last 16 games. Ed is a pretty funny guy. Here's hoping that he gets to play for his favorite NBA team next year.

airowe
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM

The Nets are 4-44 and have lost 15 of their last 16 games. Ed is a pretty funny guy. Here's hoping that he gets to play for his favorite NBA team next year.

They're doing better than the team he's on now.

Battierfan01
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM

That's right. I guess when you compare the Nets play to UNC's play, the Nets do look like a pretty good team. Maybe even a playoff team!

uncwdevil
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM

He's already campaigning to the be the #1 pick.

shoutingncu
02-04-2010, 03:58 PM
It is not a "Danny Ewing 'Pop'" unless you got T'ed up for it.

Off topic, but this is the second Ewing Technical reference that I've seen here the past couple days... I had totally forgotten that he seemed to be a magnet for those at one point. Always made me laugh since he's one of a handful of Duke players I've liked over the years.

SilkyJ
02-04-2010, 04:50 PM

+1
Popping your shirt to the rest of class because you finished the exam first? Really?

Oh please. This wasn't any old fanbase. It was UNC, whom I hate, loath, and detest and have for the entirety of my life.

Making fun of them and reminding them that "its alright, it's OK, you're gonna pump our gas someday" brings me insane amounts of pleasure. Sorry I'm not as mature as you guys :rolleyes:

DevilHorns
02-04-2010, 05:35 PM

Have any of you guys been following all the press WVU bball fans have been getting lately? (for all the cursing, yelling, and over the top debauchery)

I was reading some of the comments on ESPN and a lot of fans think that WVU fans are just like the Crazies, but just less arrogant (I read at least 3-4 comments pretty much stating exactly that). In all honesty, why would they think Duke fans are arrogant? Most Duke fans are not Duke alums, and so wouldn't be yapping about how easy UNC or NCstate is or whatever. I think people dislike Duke fans because we support a team that wins, that expects only excellency, and on top of that... we have the most recognized fanbase in college basketball. Its simple jealousy. I don't give any other fans credit when they say Duke fans are arrogant, they're just spewing their hatred.

Now Im going to watch Enter the Dragon before the Duke game starts. Damnit I should be studying.

chrisheery
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Was that calculus? If so, same experience here. (except for the hoodie "pop" which is at once hilarious and absurd).

Actually, bio was the same.

uncwdevil
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh please. This wasn't any old fanbase. It was UNC, whom I hate, loath, and detest and have for the entirety of my life.

Making fun of them and reminding them that "its alright, it's OK, you're gonna pump our gas someday" brings me insane amounts of pleasure. Sorry I'm not as mature as you guys :rolleyes:

Was the English course where they taught the difference between loathe and loath taught at UNC or Duke?

Just giving you a hard time...

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Both of those comments are just damn funny.

pamtar
02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
He's no Mark Titus, that's for sure.

Club Tril rules!

allenmurray
02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Making fun of them and reminding them that "its alright, it's OK, you're gonna pump our gas someday"

Gosh, you do a good job of making my very point for me. Again, as Jerry Rice said, "Act like you've been there before"

slower
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
"Eat Mor Chikin" was NOT written for Chik-Fil-A by professional advertising copywriters. It was found in Ed's final exam booklet for a Nutrition class in high school. ;)

SilkyJ
02-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Was the English course where they taught the difference between loathe and loath taught at UNC or Duke?

Just giving you a hard time...

Touche. Fast posting at work, does that get me off?

Course: Analytical Chemistry

Gosh, you do a good job of making my very point for me. Again, as Jerry Rice said, "Act like you've been there before"

Gosh, I thought it was obvious I was poking back. But wait, you don't like that cheer?

We just wouldn't be friends in real life. I'm the life of the party, like to run my mouth, and had 4 prior generations of hating UNC in my blood, dangerous combo.

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Gosh, I thought it was obvious I was poking back. But wait, you don't like that cheer?

We just wouldn't be friends in real life. I'm the life of the party, like to run my mouth, and had 4 prior generations of hating UNC in my blood, dangerous combo.

I've been a graduate student at both schools. While a hard-core Duke fan currently I am employed at unc, where I both do research and teach. I have no problem with folks teasing unc - I am wearing all my Duke gear at work today.

But first, you extrapolated a generalization from one incident - bad science. As I said, I have a pretty high familiarity with the standards at both schools. Your bad science led you to an unsupportable conclusion. One course does not a university make.

Second, part of what makes the rivalry fun is the fact that both are excellent universities (more similar in many important ways than they are different) and both have legitimate (read, "clean") athletic programs. Hating their basketball team is different from impugning the academic standards at a top university.

Third, popping your sweatshirt when you finished an exam? High school at best, more like middle school.

Finally, again you make assumptions based on one incident. I have no idea if we would be friends in real life. I would never make that assumption based on one incident. I do know that I find bragging about finishing an exam first, popping one's sweatshirt in front of an exam room, and then making unfounded assumptions about an entire university to be in keeping with the arrogant attitude that many folks ascribe to Duke University and its fans - which was my original point.

SupaDave
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Considering that Ed's page is down it may be time for this thread to go that way as well...

Bluedog
02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Considering that Ed's page is down it may be time for this thread to go that way as well...

Uh, I still see his page...I refreshed 10 seconds ago and it's still there. Not sure why others aren't seeing it. But there haven't been any new questions for two days it appears.

TheRose77
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Club Tril rules!
Pamtar, glad somebody understood my comment. He is truly priceless. Club Tril - 1 minute of game time followed by twelve zeroes. I love that kid... His tweets are a hoot, too.

CDu
02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Pamtar, glad somebody understood my comment. He is truly priceless. Club Tril - 1 minute of game time followed by twelve zeroes. I love that kid... His tweets are a hoot, too.

I love the YouTube "Rainmaker" video myself.

SupaDave
02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Uh, I still see his page...I refreshed 10 seconds ago and it's still there. Not sure why others aren't seeing it. But there haven't been any new questions for two days it appears.

and it will probably look the same for the forseeable future...

TheRose77
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I love the YouTube "Rainmaker" video myself.
Check out www.clubtrillion.blogspot.com. (skip the podcast.) The rainmaker video is there, as well as his musings on life at the end of the bench. I'm glad OSU lets him do this. He's really clever, unlike our little friend at UNC.