PDA

View Full Version : Wisc whups Mich State

moonpie23
02-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Izzo's head about turned around, but the badgers are really looking good....MS had won 9 or 10 in a row and Wisc took em apart...

scottdude8
02-02-2010, 11:51 PM
As a former Wolverine I must say there are only a few things in life that give me more pleasure than seeing MSU get their butts kicked... you may be able to guess what the other things are, haha.

MADevil30
02-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I didn't see the game, but I think this gives us some good perspective on where we're at right now. From the stats, this sounds very similar to our game this past Saturday (except UW didn't shoot the lights out quite like Georgetown did). A top ten team gets blown out by a lower ranked but widely acknowledged solid team; in fact, it might be even worse for MSU because their loss was in-conference. But as bad as this loss was, I don't think many of us here would say that Sparty's sky is falling down. Objectively, they are still a very good team that you wouldn't want to get matched up with early in the tournament. Maybe we should start viewing our situation the same way. Blow out losses like these just happen against good teams running with emotion; its nice to be reminded that we're not the only ones who end up on the wrong end.

Exiled_Devil
02-03-2010, 12:23 AM
I didn't see the game, but I think this gives us some good perspective on where we're at right now. From the stats, this sounds very similar to our game this past Saturday (except UW didn't shoot the lights out quite like Georgetown did). A top ten team gets blown out by a lower ranked but widely acknowledged solid team; in fact, it might be even worse for MSU because their loss was in-conference. But as bad as this loss was, I don't think many of us here would say that Sparty's sky is falling down. Objectively, they are still a very good team that you wouldn't want to get matched up with early in the tournament. Maybe we should start viewing our situation the same way. Blow out losses like these just happen against good teams running with emotion; its nice to be reminded that we're not the only ones who end up on the wrong end.

I wouldn't characterize our loss to Georgetown that way - we were 7 and 8 - at that point, there really shouldn't be a favorite. In this case, 5 should be greatly favored over 16.

gep
02-03-2010, 12:26 AM
I didn't see the game either. But, it looks like MSU was down 10-15 points mostly through the 2nd half... and lost by 18. MSU #5, WSU #16. So Duke #8 got beat "badly" by G-town #7. As the previous poster said, do we now look at MSU as "in trouble"? I don't know. But, I think Duke is OK for now. The next 3 games will tell us alot... :rolleyes:

edit: just saw MADevil30's reply...

MChambers
02-03-2010, 08:01 AM
I didn't see the game either. But, it looks like MSU was down 10-15 points mostly through the 2nd half... and lost by 18. MSU #5, WSU #16. So Duke #8 got beat "badly" by G-town #7. As the previous poster said, do we now look at MSU as "in trouble"? I don't know. But, I think Duke is OK for now. The next 3 games will tell us alot... :rolleyes:

edit: just saw MADevil30's reply...

Jon Leuer's still out for Wisconsin, making this even more impressive.

Troublemaker
02-03-2010, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't characterize our loss to Georgetown that way - we were 7 and 8 - at that point, there really shouldn't be a favorite. In this case, 5 should be greatly favored over 16.

Actually, Wisconsin was a 2-pt favorite in the game, not MSU, and Duke was a 1-pt favorite in the G'town game. FYI

hurleyfor3
02-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Sparty's season is obviously over.

BTW, why has "Sparty" caught on for Michigan State (or is that just Reece Davis) but not "Bucky" for Wisconsin?

tbyers11
02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Sparty's season is obviously over.

BTW, why has "Sparty" caught on for Michigan State (or is that just Reece Davis) but not "Bucky" for Wisconsin?

I know that you are being sarcastic, but Sparty's season might really be in trouble if Kalin Lucas' ankle injury is as bad as it appeared last night.

I watched most of the game and it was similar to our game with Georgetown in the fact that the Badgers pretty much controlled the game from the outset even before Lucas went out with the ankle injury.

I know that Michigan State is a solid team but was anyone else a little annoyed that the talking heads were starting to lump them in over the weekend with the 4 one-loss teams as the teams to beat. Starting any conference season 9-0 is impressive but a couple of those wins required last second shots and they had only played any of the other top teams in the B10 (Purdue, Wisc, Ohio St) once, a close win over Wisconsin at home.

CDu
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I know that you are being sarcastic, but Sparty's season might really be in trouble if Kalin Lucas' ankle injury is as bad as it appeared last night.

I watched most of the game and it was similar to our game with Georgetown in the fact that the Badgers pretty much controlled the game from the outset even before Lucas went out with the ankle injury.

I know that Michigan State is a solid team but was anyone else a little annoyed that the talking heads were starting to lump them in over the weekend with the 4 one-loss teams as the teams to beat. Starting any conference season 9-0 is impressive but a couple of those wins required last second shots and they had only played any of the other top teams in the B10 (Purdue, Wisc, Ohio St) once, a close win over Wisconsin at home.

Yeah, Michigan State is a bit of a paper tiger to me. They've lost to Florida, to UNC, and to Texas by double-digits. They have a nice conference record, but that's because they've beaten up on the fluff in the Big-10. Prior to last night, the only legitimately good team that they'd played in conference was Wisconsin, and that game was at home (Wisconsin struggles on the road). They have yet to play OSU, and they've yet to play Purdue. The rest of that conference probably isn't going to make the tournament.

I don't think Michigan State is bad. I'd say a 3/4 seed is reasonable. They are only 2-3 against Pomeroy's top-50 (1-2 vs the RPI top-50). That's not exactly the resume of a top-5 team.

NSDukeFan
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Michigan State is a bit of a paper tiger to me. They've lost to Florida, to UNC, and to Texas by double-digits. They have a nice conference record, but that's because they've beaten up on the fluff in the Big-10. Prior to last night, the only legitimately good team that they'd played in conference was Wisconsin, and that game was at home (Wisconsin struggles on the road). They have yet to play OSU, and they've yet to play Purdue. The rest of that conference probably isn't going to make the tournament.

I don't think Michigan State is bad. I'd say a 3/4 seed is reasonable. They are only 2-3 against Pomeroy's top-50 (1-2 vs the RPI top-50). That's not exactly the resume of a top-5 team.

I don't disagree with anything you have said, but this doesn't seem to be out of character for Izzo's State teams. It is my impression that they lose a few games in the regular season, fly slightly under the radar, then have a very strong finish in the tournament. Could be just my impression, though.

CDu
02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't disagree with anything you have said, but this doesn't seem to be out of character for Izzo's State teams. It is my impression that they lose a few games in the regular season, fly slightly under the radar, then have a very strong finish in the tournament. Could be just my impression, though.

Without looking at the data, I would agree that Izzo's teams have generally performed well compared to their seed.

dukemsu
02-03-2010, 12:16 PM

As the board's resident Sparty, figured I'd chime in.

All year, State has probably been in the group behind the one-loss teams. They have problems on the front line. Still, I think you have to give them credit for winning close games on the road. This isn't football. Style points don't matter, especially in the masochistic Big Ten.

The Badgers were sharp last night, and the game was over when Lucas got hurt when State was down 8. The Spartans have a mental block about playing in Badgerland, and that extends to the coaching staff.

No word yet on Lucas' injury, but the rumors are that he's out for at least a couple of games.

State's a very good basketball team but rose to #5 primarily because everyone in front of them lost. They are a 2-3 seed if Lucas returns.

dukemsu

Gewebe14
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Michigan State is awful, they lost to UNC (pretty badly)

QED

bird
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Without looking at the data, I would agree that Izzo's teams have generally performed well compared to their seed.

Basketballprospectus claims that in the 64/65 team era the last no team has performed as well compared to their seed than has Michigan State.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=89414

Izzo is just a dang good coach.

weezie
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Izzo is just a dang good coach.

He truly is a great coach, and a very decent and funny guy. That bit with him shaving his head a while back was priceless.
Too bad about Kai's ankle though.