PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-GT Pre-Game Thread

sagegrouse
02-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Thursday at 7ET is Duke's first chance to avenge a loss.

Three questions:

1. Can Duke handle GT's very talented front line, now that Derrick Favors -- not a factor in the first game -- is beginning to play very well? Los Plum Locos had a pretty good game against Tech the first time, but Lani Gawal is one of the best big men in college basketball.

2. Can Duke double it's 3-point percentage playing at home? In the first game it was 21%. And specifically, will we get a serious contribution from Andre?

3. What will be the team's response to the Georgetown loss?

sagegrouse
'I'll give the Pre-Game thread one more shot -- I didn't help much against GU'

Greg_Newton
02-02-2010, 02:43 AM
'I'll give the Pre-Game thread one more shot -- I didn't help much against GU'

Haha... yeah, unfortunately your run as good luck thread-starter didn't last as long as we'd hoped. You do pose interesting discussion questions though, so you're forgiven. :)

I'm actually curious to see if how K responds to the Gtown throttling followed by 4 days off. I'm kind of hoping/wondering we see some kind of shake up, whether it has to do with starting lineups, substitution patterns, offensive strategy, or defense... maybe starting L & Z and alternating them wholesale with M&M? Maybe extended time in a zone? A different role for Kyle in the offense, more focus on post touches and off-ball movement? K knows he's facing an important challenge right now, it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Bob Green
02-02-2010, 03:41 AM
And specifically, will we get a serious contribution from Andre?

When we put our experienced line-up on the court (three seniors and two juniors), Duke is the most experienced team in the ACC and possibly the country. However, that leaves a bench (three freshmen and a sophomore) that is significantly inexperienced.

Now this scenario is a little inaccurate as sophomore Miles Plumlee obviously starts and senior Brian Zoubek comes off the bench, however, it is a nice segue to the point I intend to make. In order for Duke to take the next developmental step toward being a serious threat to make some noise in March, both Dawkins and the Plumlee Brothers need to be an integral part of the offense.

In regard to Dawkins, I'd prefer to see him taking all those 3-pointers Singler has been launching recently. Hopefully, Coach K looks for opportunities to invert the offense and post Singler, while simultaneously allowing Dawkins the opportunity to let loose from behind the arc.

For the Plumlees, Coach K has to include dumping the ball inside in the game plan. We need Miles and Mason (and Brian and Lance as well) scoring "points in the paint."

A criticism of Duke's offense in the past has been we play 3 on 5. The best opportunity for Duke to place five players onto the court who can score the ball is with increased playing time for Dawkins, Plumlee I, and Plumlee II. S Cubed needs the support and Duke's offense needs the balance.

flyingdutchdevil
02-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Duke is at it's best in the game after we suffer a devastating loss (Clemson last year, NCSU this year). Considering this, and the game is at Cameron, we will come out guns blazing. This game doesn't actually worry me that much - GT is a good team but we are a better team, especially in the backcourt. After a relatively poor game from the Big 3, I think they'll approach the game differently. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some major changes (line-up, way we play defense, minutes allocation) like EWill last year.

As good as Duke has been this year, inconsistency has been their greatest vice. The good news is that they haven't played two bad games in a row. The bad news is that they are playing poor games more frequently. I'm curious to see how K will tackle this.

Saratoga2
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Coach K stresses defense over offense. Our players were slow relative to G'town, also slow to react and confused on defense. We can only win this game if the defense improves. Perhaps our best defensive team is with Miles, Lance, Jon, Nolan and Kyle. Another possibility would be to have Miles, Kyle, Jon, Nolan and Andre with the hope of gaining in offense what we would give away in defense. Both of these lineups make sense with Mason and Brian coming off the bench and Ryan in spots.

We have to cut down on turnovers and silly fouls to avoid gifting points to GT. They will be tough to handle and we need to play at our best to beat them.

CDu
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I think we match up better against GT than Georgetown. Their bigs want to be around the basket, as do ours. I think the combination of playing at home and shooting better than 21.8% from 3 will be the difference between this game and the game at GT.

duke4life32182
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I say we make GT speed up their game and make them turn it over. Play on the defensive end like we did against FSU and have a good shooting night=win for the Dukies and the crazies.

Steve68
02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Haha... yeah, unfortunately your run as good luck thread-starter didn't last as long as we'd hoped. You do pose interesting discussion questions though, so you're forgiven. :)

I'm actually curious to see if how K responds to the Gtown throttling followed by 4 days off. I'm kind of hoping/wondering we see some kind of shake up, whether it has to do with starting lineups, substitution patterns, offensive strategy, or defense... maybe starting L & Z and alternating them wholesale with M&M? Maybe extended time in a zone? A different role for Kyle in the offense, more focus on post touches and off-ball movement? K knows he's facing an important challenge right now, it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Maybe I'm wearing my dark blue glasses, but I think you saw the "shake up" for the Georgetown game. Krzyzewski said before the Georgetown game that the freshmen were going to see much more action than they had been seeing against ACC opponents. We all know how that worked out - the freshmen played like, well, freshmen. I'm not blaming the loss solely on the freshmen, nor on K. I'm just saying his approach to that game was different from his approach to ACC games. Because of the matchups against Georgia Tech, and because it is a league game, I think we will see a return to the approach we saw against Clemson, which definitely includes a shorter bench. The "bench development" conspiracy theorists won't be happy, but we should see a game that more closely resembles Duke basketball and one that, hopefully, results in a W.

superdave
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
In regard to Dawkins, I'd prefer to see him taking all those 3-pointers Singler has been launching recently. Hopefully, Coach K looks for opportunities to invert the offense and post Singler, while simultaneously allowing Dawkins the opportunity to let loose from behind the arc.
S Cubed needs the support and Duke's offense needs the balance.

Three excellent points. Amen. Kyle should not be taking 10 3-pt attempts in a single game. That's not his core competency. Kyle in the post in certain matchups could be huge for us too.

SilkyJ
02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
When we put our experienced line-up on the court (three seniors and two juniors), Duke is the most experienced team in the ACC and possibly the country. However, that leaves a bench (three freshmen and a sophomore) that is significantly inexperienced.

Now this scenario is a little inaccurate as sophomore Miles Plumlee obviously starts and senior Brian Zoubek comes off the bench, however, it is a nice segue to the point I intend to make. In order for Duke to take the next developmental step toward being a serious threat to make some noise in March, both Dawkins and the Plumlee Brothers need to be an integral part of the offense.

For the Plumlees, Coach K has to include dumping the ball inside in the game plan. We need Miles and Mason (and Brian and Lance as well) scoring "points in the paint."

A criticism of Duke's offense in the past has been we play 3 on 5. The best opportunity for Duke to place five players onto the court who can score the ball is with increased playing time for Dawkins, Plumlee I, and Plumlee II. S Cubed needs the support and Duke's offense needs the balance.

Great post, Bob. Succinctly sums up my general thoughts right now, regardless of opponent.

And like superdave, I agree particularly with the Andre/Kyle point. I said it a couple weeks ago, Kyle is just not that great of a shooter and needs to stop launching 3s. Andre, however, is that good and him seeing a few more drop could be dangerous for the rest of the league. And, Kyle is that good of a finisher around the basket and he has a variety of moves. It seems to be a no-brainer to me (and apparently others...)

dukestheheat
02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
^^^^

Straight up, we are going to be VERY prepared for Tech this game, and I feel really good about this one. We will try to light them up and in fact, set them on fire. You just wait, Duke emerges!

dth.

Newton_14
02-02-2010, 08:05 PM
One thing we need to do is limit/shutdown Tech's role players and supporting cast to their big 3 (Lawal, Favors, Peacock). In the first meeting Udofia hit three 3's that were killers and something he has not regularly done, and both Glen Rice, and Brian Oliver played well and even though they did not take many shots they hit 1/2 and 2/3 respectively.

We need to limit the effectiveness of those guys this time around. Hopefully playing in Cameron for the first time will put the pressure on Tech's young guys and help get them off their games. We need to get back to the defense we played against Ucon, Gonzaga, Clemson, etc. and make points for Tech hard to come by.

I am looking forward to the game and seeing how our guys respond coming off the loss. We are over due for Mason to have a bounce back type performance. He played really well against them in Atlanta. At some point he has to get back to playing the way he is capable of. This game would be a great time for that to happen.

Bob Green
02-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Three excellent points. Amen.

Great post, Bob.

Thanks! It'll be interesting to see how the GT game plays out.

lpd1982
02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2010/02/bp-passport-2-2-10/

Coach K, “we’re going to need an unbelievable atmosphere in here on Thursday. We need to be as one in here(Cameron). All of us, the guys, really want you to help us out. Get here. Go nuts. Let’s win a big ball game.”

CrazieDUMB
02-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Let's not forget the importance of having a solid four days between games. Last time we saw GT it was in their house two days after we came back from Chicago to play Iowa St.

Like many people on this site, I'd love to see Duke play some zone, but I'd rather not open up that topic again. I hope that they've had a good week of practice and the Gtown game has lit a fire under these kids. Last year after the Clemson loss we lost two of our next three, so let's hope K doesn't let that happen again.

Pertaining to Andre and the rest of the freshmen, I can imagine that K would respond to that with the words of Yoda:

Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained [basketball players]. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A [starter] must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A [player] craves not these things. You are reckless.

Patience people. Dre and Kelly will only do more harm then good right now if they're not ready.

davekay1971
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Here's my fearless forecast (coming from an eternal optimist who wears Duke blue shades...even when driving at night, so consider yourself warned).

1) Playing in Cameron after getting curb-stomped by Gtown in front of a national tv audience, God, the POTUS, and everyone; and with a chance to avenge a loss earlier this season; the team is going to come out playing with fire.

2) Miles and Mason Plumlee are going to show up for us. They're facing a more athletic front line, they got taken apart by Lawal last time, Favors is better and more consistent than he was last time...but despite all that I think those two are going to come out wanting to show that they can contribute.

3) Dawkins is going to be a factor.

4) Duke wins by 8-10 points.

If none of the above happen, I will be right back here to take my whipping...in a week or so. :D

Battierfan01
02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
^^^^

Straight up, we are going to be VERY prepared for Tech this game, and I feel really good about this one. We will try to light them up and in fact, set them on fire. You just wait, Duke emerges!

dth.

dukestheheat,
I agree with you. I see Duke having a HUGE game. I think that K will have the guys totally focused on this game. I also think that they will have something to prove after the loss at Georgia Tech and Georgetown. I look for a big game from Nolan and Jon and I think LT will be a beast on the defensive end of the floor.

sagegrouse
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
1) Playing in Cameron after getting curb-stomped by Gtown in front of a national tv audience, God, the POTUS, and everyone; and with a chance to avenge a loss earlier this season; the team is going to come out playing with fire.

You left out the humiliation of losing in front of Reggie Love, the keeper of the Holy Blackberry.

sagegrouse

greybeard
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Hewitt has his team playing D close to the edge and on command going over the edge in terms of physical play. Against Duke the first time, he had them over the edge from start to finish; the refs let it go; and Duke got manhandled.

Duke will not get manhandled this time, even if the refs let Hewitt deploy over-the-line tactics as they did the first game. Over the line, in my view, includes gratuitous hard contact when big people move anywhere near the basket, bumping into people, bodying up with overt aggression that moves people around. In other words, a step or two away from a fight.

Duke will match that type of tactic if it needs to, and will no doubt be quicker on the attack to draw fouls. K has been waiting for this game and practically said so going into the Georgetown game.

You guys are going to WAR, and your team will be READY.

To me, the referees are to blame. If they call the game the way it should be, GT will not have a chance. If they don't, I have a feeling Georgia Tech will get much more than they ever expected, and perhaps can handle, win, lose or draw. Line by Southerland in the Dirty Dozen while posing as a General under cover inspecting another General's troups, "Well, they look good General, [pause] but can they FIGHT? K has already answered that question, and his team will do what it must to make the battle theirs. Don't expect pretty here sports fans, unless the refs do their jobs.

Newton_14
02-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Hewitt has his team playing D close to the edge and on command going over the edge in terms of physical play. Against Duke the first time, he had them over the edge from start to finish; the refs let it go; and Duke got manhandled.

Duke will not get manhandled this time, even if the refs let Hewitt deploy over-the-line tactics as they did the first game. Over the line, in my view, includes gratuitous hard contact when big people move anywhere near the basket, bumping into people, bodying up with overt aggression that moves people around. In other words, a step or two away from a fight.

There was a play in the last Clemson game where Duke was breaking the press. Scheyer received a pass near the left center in the backcourt and the 10 second clock was closing in. Jon dribbled hard to his right and just as he was about to cross halfcourt he got body-checked by Tanner Smith. It knocked him backwards and almost out of bounds, but he was somehow able to gather himself and keep his dribble. No Call! I was like, "how can that not be a foul" as the ref was right there on it. They call every little handcheck and other touch fouls yet allow defenders to reroute the offensive player with hard body-checks as long as they do not use their hands.. Terrible.

I am interested to see how this game with Tech will be called. It could be a repeat of the Wake game which was similar to the game in Atlanta or it could be like the FSU game where they seemed to call every little thing, with a slight benefit I thought to FSU.

I can live with either way as long as the refs are even handed with both teams. But I somehow expect the normal of Zoubs getting an over the back call in the pregame layup line..

Greg_Newton
02-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I've been thinking about it, and honestly I would rather just see Lance and Z both start at this point. If Z really does have such a positive +/- effect on the game that isn't a result of coming off the bench at opportune times, then lets put him in from the get-go and try to get things clicking early for once. If Lance and Z aren't getting it done for a stretch, sub in a fresh pair of Plumlee brothers and let them jump around a little bit. If they provide a spark, leave them in. If they're playing stupid, take them back out and repeat later.

One big benefit of doing this, IMO, would be giving M&M a head start against foul trouble. They simply can't be counted on to play starter's minutes in the first half right now without getting into serious foul trouble. And furthermore, when they pick up 2-3 fouls ahead of schedule, they seem to transition into tentative mode and are rarely effective players. So really, we end up getting 5-10 minutes of them playing hard and confident, then they go into damage control. Zoubek fouls a lot, but doesn't seem to have this issue.

It just seems like Miles might play a little looser if he didn't have to try play to the "starting center" role, and could just come off the bench with his brother and play aggressive. Couldn't hurt to try.

Newton_14
02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I've been thinking about it, and honestly I would rather just see Lance and Z both start at this point. If Z really does have such a positive +/- effect on the game that isn't a result of coming off the bench at opportune times, then lets put him in from the get-go and try to get things clicking early for once. If Lance and Z aren't getting it done for a stretch, sub in a fresh pair of Plumlee brothers and let them jump around a little bit. If they provide a spark, leave them in. If they're playing stupid, take them back out and repeat later.

One big benefit of doing this, IMO, would be giving M&M a head start against foul trouble. They simply can't be counted on to play starter's minutes in the first half right now without getting into serious foul trouble. And furthermore, when they pick up 2-3 fouls ahead of schedule, they seem to transition into tentative mode and are rarely effective players. So really, we end up getting 5-10 minutes of them playing hard and confident, then they go into damage control. Zoubek fouls a lot, but doesn't seem to have this issue.

It just seems like Miles might play a little looser if he didn't have to try play to the "starting center" role, and could just come off the bench with his brother and play aggressive. Couldn't hurt to try.

Not a horrible idea, my only concern would be hurting the confidence of Miles. I have posted a couple of times in various threads that I think it is a mistake to lump the current play of Miles and Mason together. I just wonder if anybody else sees it that way. I just feel that Miles has progressed nicely this year, especially in defense and rebounding, and that his level of play is quite a bit higher at this point than Mason. Miles has actually played pretty well, especially considering how he played last year. Mason has struggled quite a bit more than Miles to me.

Other than that, Zoubs has definitely played well enough where it is certainly logical to put him in the starting 5 to shake things up a bit.

greybeard
02-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I can live with either way as long as the refs are even handed with both teams. But I somehow expect the normal of Zoubs getting an over the back call in the pregame layup line..

Great line! I don't think that anyone likes to play the way Tech does when Hewitt let's the dawgs out. He did that against another team in the last five minutes or so with Tech down a few. Tech launched into the lead and won. I don't recall if it was Clemson, Wake, or some other team. But the team was big; just not ready for the over-the-top play. I do not like that type of game, which I think is way outside the rules. Duke will be ready and, like I said, they ain't gonna be concerned about pretty.

This game I believe means a lot to K. I don't think he appreciates that type of play, and certainly doesn't like losing to it.

He might well go to Singler inside early. Singler will draw fouls that the others won't. He's quick and has too much on-court stature to let pushing him around go uncalled. Besides, he will go quick off the catch quick, and attempts to body him will be more obvious if they can keep up.

gep
02-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Not a horrible idea, my only concern would be hurting the confidence of Miles.

I also thought starting Z would be good... given his positive contributions. But Miles is the "starter", and I don't have a clue as to how him coming off the bench would affect him. I've never played team sports, so I don't know squat about the starter's role in the mind of a player. Maybe start Miles, but bring Z in a bit earlier than bringing Mason in for Lance... not substitute Miles and Lance with Z and Mason the same time. This may give Z a bit more time to affect the game, and Miles to continue to be the starter with major minutes... :rolleyes:

Jarhead
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
The Time Warner schedule for ESPN2 this evening at the time of the Duke-GT game states:

College Basketball
7:00-9:00 PM
"Teams TBA" Teams TBA.
Basketball, Live, 2hr
Original air date: 01/01/200901/01/2009 -- No fooling!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot -- what is TW going to show? Whatever it is, I'll have it on my DVR, just in case we get home sometime after 7:00 PM.

Bob Green
02-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Duke is currently a 12 point favorite in Vegas:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

I'm expecting a tighter game, but I would really enjoy a double digit victory over the Yellow Jackets.

flyingdutchdevil
02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Duke is currently a 12 point favorite in Vegas:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

I'm expecting a tighter game, but I would really enjoy a double digit victory over the Yellow Jackets.

Duke off a loss? In CIS? With a 12 point spread, I wouldn't bet against that.

Duke is a scary team under those two facts. They will be motivated and pissed. Excellent combination for killing some bees (or yellow jackets)

KShip21
02-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Duke off a loss? In CIS? With a 12 point spread, I wouldn't bet against that.

Duke is a scary team under those two facts. They will be motivated and pissed. Excellent combination for killing some bees (or yellow jackets)

With 4 days to prepare and let the humiliation of Saturday eat at them, and betting on Singler not having a game like he did the first time. Walking out of the stadium last month in ATL I felt that the "revenge game" at CIS would be scary for tech, and I still feel that way......I'll take 12-15

-bdbd
02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
The Time Warner schedule for ESPN2 this evening at the time of the Duke-GT game states:

College Basketball
7:00-9:00 PM
"Teams TBA" Teams TBA.
Basketball, Live, 2hr
Original air date: 01/01/2009

01/01/2009 -- No fooling!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot -- what is TW going to show? Whatever it is, I'll have it on my DVR, just in case we get home sometime after 7:00 PM.

The Washington Post shows the game as 7PM and being carried on ESPN2. TIVO is all set!!

Expecting Duke and the Crazies to be revved up for this one. Right now, they seem, to me, to be the biggest threat to us in winning the ACC regular season... making this a VERY important game!

:mad::rolleyes::eek::D

jimrowe0
02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
One of the headline on ESPNs college basketball home page reads....Favors will eat Duke alive tonight

An article written by Matt Meyer of ESPN magazine...I am not an ESPN insider so I couldn't access the article. However, I think he will be very wrong about that tonight.

Lets Go DUKE!!!

KShip21
02-04-2010, 02:34 PM
One of the headline on ESPNs college basketball home page reads....Favors will eat Duke alive tonight

An article written by Matt Meyer of ESPN magazine...I am not an ESPN insider so I couldn't access the article. However, I think he will be very wrong about that tonight.

Lets Go DUKE!!!

The headline is much more interesting than the article.....duke dies by the 3, favors is intimidating, techs inside game is better than Duke's, Duke will have a tough time winning tonight...yada yada..same story. Sort of a funny article with how the guy was non-existent in the first matchup, on his home court which should be his comfort zone

Troublemaker
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Can this team continue to compartmentalize and separate the road woes from the home dominance? I know one of the mottos for this program is "next play" but, man, it must be getting difficult to focus on that. There may have been something soul-crushing about that Georgetown loss because I didn't like the body language of our guys in the last ten minutes of the game. Offensively, they've now played average to poor in 8 out of 9 games away from home. And their vaunted defense, which they mention all the time as being their identity, has been picked apart in two of the past four games. Will that shake Duke's confidence? Eventually, it's possible the road woes will sap the energy and conviction that Duke plays with at home. So while my first thought for this game was "home game, good matchup, Duke will wax them," I'm starting to have doubts. If Duke can actually win this game convincingly, I'll be impressed. It'll show a lot of resiliency and toughness.

bigboi3756
02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=4885902

According to matt meyers, favors will have a great game tonight. I guess we we will see for ourselves.

superdave
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Can this team continue to compartmentalize and separate the road woes from the home dominance? I know one of the mottos for this program is "next play" but, man, it must be getting difficult to focus on that. There may have been something soul-crushing about that Georgetown loss because I didn't like the body language of our guys in the last ten minutes of the game. Offensively, they've now played average to poor in 8 out of 9 games away from home. And their vaunted defense, which they mention all the time as being their identity, has been picked apart in two of the past four games. Will that shake Duke's confidence? Eventually, it's possible the road woes will sap the energy and conviction that Duke plays with at home. So while my first thought for this game was "home game, good matchup, Duke will wax them," I'm starting to have doubts. If Duke can actually win this game convincingly, I'll be impressed. It'll show a lot of resiliency and toughness.

Yeah but we're great on neutral courts!

ChicagoCrazy84
02-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Does anyone else foresee a starting lineup of Scheyer, Smith, Dawkins, Plumlee, and Plumlee?

I think it would be a great idea, but I wouldn't even give 100-1 odds on it. If you think about it, it makes sense. Singler is struggling, Dawkins is struggling, and Mason has been quiet. You see in the NBA quite a bit with coaches inserting different payers into the starting lineup to get them going a little bit and we really need Andre and Mason to get going. Maybe it would help them. Maybe it would help Kyle to start from the bench. We need some firepower from the bench and Kyle would give us plenty of that. Maybe it would light a spark with him, I don't know.

jv001
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Does anyone else foresee a starting lineup of Scheyer, Smith, Dawkins, Plumlee, and Plumlee?

I think it would be a great idea, but I wouldn't even give 100-1 odds on it. If you think about it, it makes sense. Singler is struggling, Dawkins is struggling, and Mason has been quiet. You see in the NBA quite a bit with coaches inserting different payers into the starting lineup to get them going a little bit and we really need Andre and Mason to get going. Maybe it would help them. Maybe it would help Kyle to start from the bench. We need some firepower from the bench and Kyle would give us plenty of that. Maybe it would light a spark with him, I don't know.

have happened but I think the upper classmen will bring an energy tonight that will spell a big win against a good Ga. Tech team. We need to get off to a good start. Get some confidence and play very good defense. Too big a chance that Mason and Dre would get lost on switches and that would give GT some confidence themselves. Look for Singler to have a big game tonight.
Go Duke!

rsvman
02-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Um........no.

Bob Green
02-04-2010, 04:07 PM

I foresee a starting lineup of Scheyer, Smith, Singler, Thomas, and Miles Plumlee.

Kedsy
02-04-2010, 04:10 PM

I think it would be a great idea, but I wouldn't even give 100-1 odds on it.

Isn't going to happen. Nor should it, in my opinion. Especially not this game.

roywhite
02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I foresee....a challenging game to officiate.

I'm pretty sure Coach K does not like "Paul-Ball" or Hewitt's style of play which is rough and physical. Coach did not look happy with some developments in Atlanta.

This looks like a "crusade" game for Duke with Coach K urging the Crazies to bring their best. I'll bet he's also telling the Duke players to come out strong and not to back down if Tech gets physical.

Could be fireworks early.

Billy Dat
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Not to bring up the 2006/7 season, but I will, tonight reminds me a little of that season series with G.Tech. We lost the first game on the road and Tech was featuring a "one and done" front line star (then, Thaddeus Young, now D. Favors). After that first game, Young was kind of ho-hum saying something to the effect of, "Beating them is not such a big deal because that's not the same kind of Duke team as in year's past". Granted, Favors didn't say anything like that when they beat us in January, but the feeling, to me, is the same. We needed to come out and shut them up, and we did, 71-62. I'd take that result, tonight. Interesting that the other young Tech star that same year, Javaris Crittendon, is now serving a suspension for his gun-a-gun in the Wizards locker room with Agent Zero....these kids just grow up so fast.

SilkyJ
02-04-2010, 04:45 PM

I think it would be a great idea, but I wouldn't even give 100-1 odds on it. If you think about it, it makes sense. Singler is struggling, Dawkins is struggling, and Mason has been quiet.

I don't get the logic. You want Singler b/c he's struggling and replace him with Dawkins b/c he's struggling? Huh? Then you want to take out our defensive dynamo (LT) and replace him someone who is also struggling? English please.

MChambers
02-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Interesting that the other young Tech star that same year, Javaris Crittendon, is now serving a suspension for his gun-a-gun in the Wizards locker room with Agent Zero....these kids just grow up so fast.

Or they don't grow up, sad to say.

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I foresee....a challenging game to officiate.

I'm pretty sure Coach K does not like "Paul-Ball" or Hewitt's style of play which is rough and physical. Coach did not look happy with some developments in Atlanta.

This looks like a "crusade" game for Duke with Coach K urging the Crazies to bring their best. I'll bet he's also telling the Duke players to come out strong and not to back down if Tech gets physical.

Could be fireworks early.

It is currently about 5PM EST. two hours before tip off and I believe Miles just got called for his first foul.

greybeard
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I look for Singler to be deployed inside and to take the game to these guys. He is as tough as they come, and agile enough to make apparent that their shoving is against the rules. He will lead this team, particularly the other bigs. Lance will also help set the tone, but this is Kyle's job; he was born for this job. Nothing is a given, and I don't know that he will succeed, but I wouldn't want to be the one trying to stop him. I shall be rooting. Absolutely!

Greg_Newton
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I also thought starting Z would be good... given his positive contributions. But Miles is the "starter", and I don't have a clue as to how him coming off the bench would affect him. I've never played team sports, so I don't know squat about the starter's role in the mind of a player. Maybe start Miles, but bring Z in a bit earlier than bringing Mason in for Lance... not substitute Miles and Lance with Z and Mason the same time. This may give Z a bit more time to affect the game, and Miles to continue to be the starter with major minutes... :rolleyes:

I guess I'm not that worried about it affecting Miles negatively because he hasn't been doing a whole lot lately anyway. I would actually prefer to see him get more minutes than Z if he's playing aggressive and smart, I would just like to see his minutes start a few minutes into the game, if that makes any sense... he just seems like he plays so much better when he doesn't have more fouls than he should at a given juncture. Plus, I'd like to see more of the Plumlees in as a tandem.

JMHO, I think it'd be an interesting experiment.

BlueintheFace
02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I STRONGLY suspect that the Georgetown loss was a lot more upsetting and surprising to Duke fans than to K. I would be very surprised if any significant changes were made going forward.

elvis14
02-04-2010, 05:58 PM
http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2010/02/bp-passport-2-2-10/

Coach K, “we’re going to need an unbelievable atmosphere in here on Thursday. We need to be as one in here(Cameron). All of us, the guys, really want you to help us out. Get here. Go nuts. Let’s win a big ball game.”

I just found out I get to be at the game tonight! Someone tell Coach K I'm up for doing my part (I know he'll want to know before the game)! I suspect that I'll not have much of a voice tomorrow! :D:D:D:D

Greg_Newton
02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I STRONGLY suspect that the Georgetown loss was a lot more upsetting and surprising to Duke fans than to K. I would be very surprised if any significant changes were made going forward.

Hmmm. Your second sentence may well be correct, but I have to disagree with the first one. Apparently dude hasn't exactly been his normal sunny self the past few days... :rolleyes:

WiJoe
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
It would appear there will be no online broadcast tonight by wsfl (106.5 fm).

:(

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
http://www.justin.tv/s/li/bSAnp7k/softspot5

This might work for you unless they switch up channels

roywhite
02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
It would appear there will be no online broadcast tonight by wsfl (106.5 fm).

:(

http://espntriangle.com/

There's a link here to 620 the Buzz. I'm listening to the pregame now. Don't know for sure if they carry the game broadcast live, but worth a try.

riverside6
02-04-2010, 06:52 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game can be found here...

http://scacchoops.com/ViewHdGame.asp?hSchedule=3798

starters are posted, and no changes for either team

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Iman Shumpert (#1)

His Twitter page has the following quotes:

11pm Wednesday night: "Ever just start picking ur nose and realize how
good it feels when ur nose is clean? Lol
#just did that
"-----This is how he prepares the night before a Duke game

With 789 followers of his Twitter account, he tweeted, "1 more followers
until 800."

"Didn't know the HOV lane is a 2+ passenger lane, I thought it was a lane
to go fast"

Gani Lawal (#31)

He hates it when people mispronounce his name: "For the last time my
name is Gani, not Gandhi, with all due respect I'm not an Indian
peacemaker." "And for all you Americans, my name is not Donnie, or
Johnny, its GANI, its not hard, lol"

Imagine what the Crazies will do with the nose comment and I imagine some Ghandi chants are in the future, as well as ,"you can't add!"

slower
02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Mike Patrick and Jay Bilas. Not bad - as long as Patrick remains silent.

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
It is currently about 5PM EST. two hours before tip off and I believe Miles just got called for his first foul.

So it be said so it be written

pfrduke
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM

This wasn't far off.....

dukebballcamper90-91
02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I want to win but 2 cheap fouls on lawal.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Looking a little shaky early with the press. And Jon's shot has been off badly thus far.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Here we go again missing the chippies. Both Jon and Nolan have missed layups that really should have been made. And of course Miles got stuffed a minute ago on a dunk attempt. We've got to put the ball in the basket from 5 feet in.

Tucknut
02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Taking bets on how many times Bilas will say Mason is Duke's most talented player this year.

slower
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Here we go again missing the chippies. Both Jon and Nolan have missed layups that really should have been made. And of course Miles got stuffed a minute ago on a dunk attempt. We've got to put the ball in the basket from 5 feet in.

Let's see how often our guys get stripped from behind. One more dribble and Mason would have lost it.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
At least Jon has hit his last two 3's. That's a good sign. But on the defensive side for us it just seems like GT is more energetic and quicker to the loose balls.

strawbs
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
i know it's early but it would be nice if teams started missing shots against duke. Right now gtech is shooting over 75%.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-04-2010, 07:24 PM
From what is looking like so far, I am going to set the over/under on Tech's 1st half FG% at 52%. What do you like?

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:24 PM
i know it's early but it would be nice if teams started missing shots against duke. Right now gtech is shooting over 75%.

But most of their shots have not been heavily contested by us. Plus, they've gotten inside several times and that always increases a team's shooting percentage.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Way too many whistles (going both ways) this early in the game.

slower
02-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Good God! This is going to be interesting.

And not in a good way.

But at least the bench will get some run, right?

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Davidson is on the court before Andre? Wow.

Huh?
02-04-2010, 07:33 PM
What's the deal with Dawkins?

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
What's the deal with Dawkins?

I don't know but I must confess it's getting harder and harder to keep a good thought concerning that situation.

slower
02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Does Mason not understand how this game is being called? Perhaps K will "explain" it to him.

strawbs
02-04-2010, 07:41 PM
mason baffles me, imo his offensive game is kind of soft, but on defense he's overly aggressive to a fault.
I know he has a ton of talent, and i can't wait until he harnesses it, and is a consistent factor, but right now he can be frustrating to watch

jipops
02-04-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't like the fact that we can't control this game with their main bigs out. Doesn't bode well for 2nd half.

Kfanarmy
02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
seem to be hedging the ball handler awfully far out on the floor

dukebballcamper90-91
02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Somebody please find out the deal with Dawkins

bluedevildaddy
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Somebody please find out the deal with Dawkins

Anybody know if Dawkins is sick? I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if he isn't it is not good. Kelly had the most productive few minutes of his career. I would have left him in longer.

dukebballcamper90-91
02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
whats the vegas line on dawkins leaving

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Nice Mason rebound. Let's see more of that.

bluedevildaddy
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Great sequence by Mason!! K then takes him out???

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Singler's wrist?

_Gary
02-04-2010, 07:57 PM
whats the vegas line on dawkins leaving

I don't know but Jordan is in again instead of Andre so I really hope there's a sickness or minor injury involved we don't know about. This is so ironic because the kid came here a year early just to help us out in the guard rotation.

Duvall
02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Bench Singler.

Kfanarmy
02-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Great sequence by Mason!! K then takes him out???

didn't want him to get another foul I'm guessing

Kfanarmy
02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Bench Singler.????

Duvall
02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
????

I'm being facetious.

roywhite
02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
27-15 rebounding edge for the Devils

6-9 from 3-pt range

_Gary
02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
The sarcasm card. A tried and true favorite here when people don't want to even think about sticky issues.

pfrduke
02-04-2010, 08:16 PM
The sarcasm card. A tried and true favorite here when people don't want to even think about sticky issues.

How exactly is whether or not to bench Singler a sticky issue? Is there really a legitimate case for benching him?

DukieInBrasil
02-04-2010, 08:19 PM
with Kyle book-ending the half like that with 3s, why bench him?
I've been kinda bummed on his shooting so far this year, but his overall play is almost always very good. He's got a good stroke tonight though!!!

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Time for Nolan to get in the groove

_Gary
02-04-2010, 08:20 PM
How exactly is whether or not to bench Singler a sticky issue? Is there really a legitimate case for benching him?

No, I think Duvall was being sarcastic as it relates to some posters' concerns about Andre not playing at all. That's why he said bench Singler. In other words, bench Singler to give minutes to Andre. He didn't mean it. He was being sarcastic.

pfrduke
02-04-2010, 08:21 PM
No, I think Duvall was being sarcastic as it relates to some posters' concerns about Andre not playing at all. That's why he said bench Singler. In other words, bench Singler to give minutes to Andre. He didn't mean it. He was being sarcastic.

I won't speak for Duvall, but that's not at all how I read it. I think you might be confusing temporal proximity with correlation.

There had been some discussion upthread prior to tip-off that Singler shouldn't start. IMO, that's not really a rational suggestion. After Kyle's first half (particularly the end to the half, which is right when Duvall posted), the suggestion looks even sillier.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I won't speak for Duvall, but that's not at all how I read it. I think you might be confusing temporal proximity with correlation.

There had been some discussion upthread prior to tip-off that Singler shouldn't start. IMO, that's not really a rational suggestion. After Kyle's first half (particularly the end to the half, which is right when Duvall posted), the suggestion looks even sillier.

Ok. Maybe I did misread him and it had nothing to do with Andre's lack of playing time. If that's the case then scratch what I said as I think it's utterly idiotic to talk about benching Kyle.

ChrisP
02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Finally! up by 15!

dukebballcamper90-91
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
hope nolan can provide the big brother type relationship to dre, both lost loved ones and playing time has been a factor for both at Duke.

jipops
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Favors has 2 points. He is eating us alive.

Duvall
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM

No. I was commenting on Singler's big shot at the half.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
No. I was commenting on Singler's big shot at the half.

OK. Sorry about misreading you. :o

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
They aren't allowed to give college players shots anymore are they? Wow Kyle's 3s!

dairedevil
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe the second injury fixed Kyle's shot

flyingdutchdevil
02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Kyle Digler is doing well

AlaskanAssassin
02-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Some insight on Dawkins recent slump (for those that have not read it): http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/5694187/article-Dawkins--touch-may-be-on-the-way-back?instance=homeseventhleft

DukieInBrasil
02-04-2010, 08:37 PM
5-7 on 3s so far??? More of that please, Mr. Singler!!!

Cockabeau
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I love Dawkins as much as the next Duke fan but I must point out two glaring weaknesses to his game

1)lack of lateral quickness
2)lack of ball handling skills

And then add in to the fact that Seth Curry is coming in next year....

Hermy-own
02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
I just want to say something about the good results the team gets with the experienced lineup of Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek. With that lineup, especially in this game we get:
Great rebounding
Great Screens
Great Opportunities for our big 3 to shine

And the excellence job by Zoub and Lance of screening, passing, and rebounding sets up a lot of open shots for the Big 3. Zoub sealing off his man also opens up more driving lanes.

My thoughts on this are that while it can produce excellent results in short bursts, it tends to grow stagnant and stale after long periods on the court. It also falls apart if 3 point shooting goes cold. This lineup can give up some drives to the opponent, leading to easy 2s. This lineup has the least potential for improvement, but it can certainly put up some gaudy +/- numbers.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
I think we can just about get ready to help GT start warming up the bus. Not to jinx us or anything. But the Yellowjackets seem emotionally wiped out at this point. I think we've got this one in the bag.

FerryFor50
02-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Anyone know what that call was at around 11minutes? I didn't see any foul or violation, and didn't recognize the ref's hand motion... and the announcers were too busy not talking about the game to mention it.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Of course the moment I post that we commit 3 silly fouls in about 10 seconds and put GT in the one and one with 10 minutes to go. :mad:

lpd1982
02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Can only tell who the fouls were on by watching body language cause announcers are busy jawing.

DukieInBrasil
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
6-8!!! Go Kyle!

slower
02-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I think we can just about get ready to help GT start warming up the bus. Not to jinx us or anything. But the Yellowjackets seem emotionally wiped out at this point. I think we've got this one in the bag.

Dude, it's WAY too early to say that. Anything could happen.

FireOgilvie
02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
That guy tried to unmask Miles Plumlee.

_Gary
Dude, it's WAY too early to say that. Anything could happen.

Nah. This one's in the bag now. GT is showing absolutely no signs of life. Pull the blanket over their head.

dairedevil
OUch! Looks like Lawal was trying to take off Miles' face.

slower
02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
6-8!!! Go Kyle!

Kyle isn't 6-8, he's 6-9, isn't he?

Cockabeau
02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Lawal should be suspended for that

slower
02-04-2010, 08:53 PM
So Jay thinks Lawal was trying to "brace himself" using Miles' face?? Gimme a freaking break!

FerryFor50
02-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Lawal should be suspended for that

For what? Trying to catch himself while he was falling? I doubt he did it on purpose...

pfrduke
02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Is now the point where Kyle should start saving some of these for next game? :D

chrisheery
02-04-2010, 08:57 PM
And the excellence job by Zoub and Lance of screening, passing, and rebounding sets up a lot of open shots for the Big 3. Zoub sealing off his man also opens up more driving lanes.

Are you kidding? You are talking about a guy (Zoub) who has as many offensive fouls called on screens as successful screens. I feel like this is a joke. Is it?

_Gary
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Nolan got tied up near the Duke bench we got a great view of Andre. He was just sitting and honestly didn't have a great look on his face. As much as I'm enjoying this fairly easy victory, I really hope we don't lose this kid emotionally.

slower
02-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Personally, I wish Jon had broken Rice's freaking nose with an elbow.

I am SO, SO tired of the punks we have to play against.

FerryFor50
02-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Nolan got tied up near the Duke bench we got a great view of Andre. He was just sitting and honestly didn't have a great look on his face. As much as I'm enjoying this fairly easy victory, I really hope we don't lose this kid emotionally.

He could have just been annoyed by the increasingly dirty play by GT, including that last shove by Rice.

ajgoodfella7
02-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Yea I saw him, he looked kind of discouraged to me.

_Gary
02-04-2010, 09:08 PM
He could have just been annoyed by the increasingly dirty play by GT, including that last shove by Rice.

I don't think so. It looked more like he was just discouraged, to be honest. He didn't jump up or anything after that play.

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Yea seriously, I mean we got this game well won, i don't see why Ryan, Andre, Peters, Jordan, Mason can't be in the game. Well the big three can pad their stats i guess.

FerryFor50
02-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't think so. It looked more like he was just discouraged, to be honest. He didn't jump up or anything after that play.

It is kind of silly he isn't playing with a 25 point lead.

FerryFor50
02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Actually Dawkins hasn't played all night. Maybe he's in the dog house. :p

flyingdutchdevil
02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
da-da-da-da-da-digler

AlaskanAssassin
02-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Hopefully the message has been sent and Dawkins work harder in practice.

lpd1982
Ouch. Bilas says Coack K sharing that Dre not playing well in practice resutling in no play in games. Not used to hearing K calling players out in public.

striker219
Actually Dawkins hasn't played all night. Maybe he's in the dog house. :p

This is all we're going to talk about for the next few days, isn't it?

_Gary
I don't think there's much doubt that something is up with Andre. He's not even getting the last few seconds of mop up duty. This will bear watching.

Lord Ash
There has been mention at TDD that Andre is hurt. The fact that he got NO minutes at all would tend to indicate that as well.

ajgoodfella7
I dunno how a kid is supposed to get better without getting any playing time. I mean come on we are up 20 points with 1 minute left. You can only become so good with practice.

Duvall
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
This is all we're going to talk about for the next few days, isn't it?

Sure. It's not like Duke doesn't have another game in 41 hours or anything.

Underdog5
02-04-2010, 09:20 PM
...very odd to get less minutes than the walk-ons. Not wishing injury on anyone but would rather that than the message this could be intended to send.