PDA

View Full Version : Duke Lacrosse beats USA National Team

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-01-2010, 04:02 PM
If you guys haven't heard, the Duke Men's Lacrosse team beat the USA National Team 9-8! This is HUGE! This is the equivalent of The Redeem Team losing to Villanova or Kansas. At the end of the first quarter, USA had a 5-0 lead, but Duke clawed back to tie the game at 5-5 at halftime. USA took a 7-5 lead, then Duke tied it up at 7-7. Leading 8-7, USA looked to seal the game. However, Duke tied the game at 8-8, and Max Quizani scored the game winning goal with about 5 seconds left (Duke's only lead the whole game).

What was even more impressive is that Duke beat USA without four starters!!! Preseason NPOY Ned Crotty was playing for USA, and starters Manley, Constible and Catalino didn't play. Duke also was without projected starting goalie Sam Brady (who's suspended for the season), and Duke rotated three goalies throughout the game (even more impressive that they only gave up 9 goals). The Duke freshmen, especially Josh Offit, who scored 3 goals, are PTPers!

This was only the third loss USA has suffered since the 70s. USA tried to be cute and fancy, attempting behind-the-back passes and seemingly thought they had the game locked up after sprinting to an early 5-0 lead. They were also without prominent players Joe Walters and Kyle Harrison, both of whom were cut.

As usual, a Mike Pressler coached team choked when it counts. However, Duke looks absolutely nasty, and the rest of the country is probably sh*ttin in their pants...

-bdbd
02-01-2010, 04:05 PM
What is the Men's LAX team (going to be) ranked this season?

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
#1 or #2. Probably split polls with Cuse...

RainingThrees
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Watched it on ESPNU. It was impressive not only that Duke won but that Ned Crotty wasn't playing on duke's side. They said that Duke will be #2 when the rankings come out.

NYC Duke Fan
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
If you guys haven't heard, the Duke Men's Lacrosse team beat the USA National Team 9-8! This is HUGE! This is the equivalent of The Redeem Team losing to Villanova or Kansas. At the end of the first quarter, USA had a 5-0 lead, but Duke clawed back to tie the game at 5-5 at halftime. USA took a 7-5 lead, then Duke tied it up at 7-7. Leading 8-7, USA looked to seal the game. However, Duke tied the game at 8-8, and Max Quizani scored the game winning goal with about 5 seconds left (Duke's only lead the whole game).

What was even more impressive is that Duke beat USA without four starters!!! Preseason NPOY Ned Crotty was playing for USA, and starters Manley, Constible and Catalino didn't play. Duke also was without projected starting goalie Sam Brady (who's suspended for the season), and Duke rotated three goalies throughout the game (even more impressive that they only gave up 9 goals). The Duke freshmen, especially Josh Offit, who scored 3 goals, are PTPers!

This was only the third loss USA has suffered since the 70s. USA tried to be cute and fancy, attempting behind-the-back passes and seemingly thought they had the game locked up after sprinting to an early 5-0 lead. They were also without prominent players Joe Walters and Kyle Harrison, both of whom were cut.

As usual, a Mike Pressler coached team choked when it counts. However, Duke looks absolutely nasty, and the rest of the country is probably sh*ttin in their pants...

Why was Sam Brady suspended for trhe season and does Duke have an decent replacement for him ?

Mike Corey
02-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Was it truly necessary to scar your otherwise pristine post with that slam on Pressler?

DukeSean
02-02-2010, 02:03 AM
I watched the beginning, and when we fell behind early I switched channels, figuring it would end up a blowout. Looks like I missed an awesome comeback. damn.

JaMarcus Russell
02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the information. Do you happen to know why Costabile, Manley, and Catalino didn't play? Were they held out because of injury concerns?

Brady's suspension is a big deal since he was the only recruited goalie who wasn't a freshman. Do you know which goalie got the most playing time? I am assuming it was Dan Wigrizer.

studdlee10
02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the information. Do you happen to know why Costabile, Manley, and Catalino didn't play? Were they held out because of injury concerns?

Brady's suspension is a big deal since he was the only recruited goalie who wasn't a freshman. Do you know which goalie got the most playing time? I am assuming it was Dan Wigrizer.

Sherwood started and got yanked. I think Wigrizer and somebody else played. Think Wigrizer just got over mono so may be a bit limited to start.

Native
02-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Catalino is currently studying abroad as part of one of his academic programs. Manley and Costabile are injured, I believe -- but nothing season-ending. They were in street clothes at a practice two or three weeks ago, but the implication is that they'll be ready to go by the season opener.

Some, including Coach Danowski, say that the reason Duke won is that Duke has built team chemistry as they've been playing together for three weeks now. They're also part of a college training program, while the athletes on Team USA have not had any formal weight training or practice since last October.

Whatever. No matter what, Team USA is comprised of lacrosse's finest talent -- bar none. The players on Team USA have played long enough to know how to win and what it takes to win. Many of them have beaten or played for Duke in their collegiate careers.

What's amazing about this win is that Duke managed to beat an assortment of the best pure talent in the country without their two best longpoles, and a three-goalie rotation -- none of whom had significant game experience. Not to mention Ned Crotty, arguably Duke's best player, a Tewaaraton finalist last season, and the offensive quarterback for Duke, was playing for Team USA, and is the only collegiate player on Team USA's roster.

Look out for the freshman attackman Josh Offit this year. Hailing from Landon Prep -- one of the nation's premier prep schools for lacrosse -- he wears Zack Greer's former number with flair. He scored three goals in the second quarter and sparked Duke's comeback from a five-goal deficit. If I were Coach Danowksi, I'd move Zach Howell to the midfield and give Offit a try at a starting position on the attack alongside Quinzani and Crotty. This kid is real.

The biggest question mark for Duke this year is between the pipes. With the suspension of projected starting goalie Sean Brady, a new goalie race has begun with three possible starters: Mike Rock and Devon Sherwood are both upperclassmen who have been the understudies of Dan Loftus and Rob Schroeder in past years, and Dan Wigrizer, Inside Lacrosse Magazine's number eight overall recruit for this year. Sherwood started but was replaced by Rock after Duke had a five-goal deficit. Wigrizer had minutes, but the majority of the time was had by Rock. Duke needs to find consistency in goal -- however, the goalie may not have to be the leader of the defense. Parker McKee and Mike Manley are more than capable of anchoring the close defenders; the new keeper will be responsible for communication, but emotionally guiding the defense may not be their prerogative.

Duke is ranked #2 in the preseason Nike/IL media poll. However, many -- including ESPN analyst and former Hopkins goalie Quint Kessenich -- disagree with this ranking, believing that 'Cuse has lost too much to graduation and that Duke is the true preseason number one. Personally, I'd rather not have a target on our backs.

However, the rest of the ACC looks very strong this year. UVA still has the Bratton twins and Steele Stanwick, who now holds the keys to the 'Hoos attack after the graduation of Danny Glading and Garrett Billings. Maryland possesses the largest attack in DI Lacrosse, including 6' 4" Will Yeatman and 6'+ Grant Catalino. UNC returns Billy Bitter, who dazzled television audiences last year by scoring six goals in the 'Holes NCAA opener against UMBC. However, UNC lost Ben Hunt, the leader of the Tar Hole midfield a year ago.

DevilHorns
02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
How was this not on the front page of espn.com?

gotham devil
02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Catalino is currently studying abroad as part of one of his academic programs. Manley and Costabile are injured, I believe -- but nothing season-ending. They were in street clothes at a practice two or three weeks ago, but the implication is that they'll be ready to go by the season opener.

Some, including Coach Danowski, say that the reason Duke won is that Duke has built team chemistry as they've been playing together for three weeks now. They're also part of a college training program, while the athletes on Team USA have not had any formal weight training or practice since last October.

Whatever. No matter what, Team USA is comprised of lacrosse's finest talent -- bar none. The players on Team USA have played long enough to know how to win and what it takes to win. Many of them have beaten or played for Duke in their collegiate careers.

What's amazing about this win is that Duke managed to beat an assortment of the best pure talent in the country without their two best longpoles, and a three-goalie rotation -- none of whom had significant game experience. Not to mention Ned Crotty, arguably Duke's best player, a Tewaaraton finalist last season, and the offensive quarterback for Duke, was playing for Team USA, and is the only collegiate player on Team USA's roster.

Look out for the freshman attackman Josh Offit this year. Hailing from Landon Prep -- one of the nation's premier prep schools for lacrosse -- he wears Zack Greer's former number with flair. He scored three goals in the second quarter and sparked Duke's comeback from a five-goal deficit. If I were Coach Danowksi, I'd move Zach Howell to the midfield and give Offit a try at a starting position on the attack alongside Quinzani and Crotty. This kid is real.

The biggest question mark for Duke this year is between the pipes. With the suspension of projected starting goalie Sean Brady, a new goalie race has begun with three possible starters: Mike Rock and Devon Sherwood are both upperclassmen who have been the understudies of Dan Loftus and Rob Schroeder in past years, and Dan Wigrizer, Inside Lacrosse Magazine's number eight overall recruit for this year. Sherwood started but was replaced by Rock after Duke had a five-goal deficit. Wigrizer had minutes, but the majority of the time was had by Rock. Duke needs to find consistency in goal -- however, the goalie may not have to be the leader of the defense. Parker McKee and Mike Manley are more than capable of anchoring the close defenders; the new keeper will be responsible for communication, but emotionally guiding the defense may not be their prerogative.

Duke is ranked #2 in the preseason Nike/IL media poll. However, many -- including ESPN analyst and former Hopkins goalie Quint Kessenich -- disagree with this ranking, believing that 'Cuse has lost too much to graduation and that Duke is the true preseason number one. Personally, I'd rather not have a target on our backs.

However, the rest of the ACC looks very strong this year. UVA still has the Bratton twins and Steele Stanwick, who now holds the keys to the 'Hoos attack after the graduation of Danny Glading and Garrett Billings. Maryland possesses the largest attack in DI Lacrosse, including 6' 4" Will Yeatman and 6'+ Grant Catalino. UNC returns Billy Bitter, who dazzled television audiences last year by scoring six goals in the 'Holes NCAA opener against UMBC. However, UNC lost Ben Hunt, the leader of the Tar Hole midfield a year ago.

Thanks for the well-written summary.
What do you make of Danowski's recruiting, particularly vis-a-vis Breschi?
I was hoping, with Coach Tierney going out to Denver, we could pick off some Princeton kids and make more inroads into Danowski's old stomping grounds of LI.

Native
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the well-written summary.
What do you make of Danowski's recruiting, particularly vis-a-vis Breschi?
I was hoping, with Coach Tierney going out to Denver, we could pick off some Princeton kids and make more inroads into Danowski's old stomping grounds of LI.

Recruiting is going well.

UNC did get a HUGE early verbal from Nick Galasso -- the #1 recruit in the 2010 class. What's scary is that Galasso verballed VERY early in the process -- within a few weeks of being able to talk to college coaches. Breschi is doing an excellent job and is selling the University extremely well.

Regardless, we still haven't lost to UNC even with their newfound recruiting prowess, and the jury's still out on the 'Holes. The comments on Inside Lacrosse range from "UNC is going to be scary good" to "Let's win an ACC game first." There haven't been any H******* B***** - like episodes. UNC is getting good recruits, but it's not like they can "automatically sign whoever they want."

Danowski is bringing in legitimate talent and will continue to do so -- when we win a national championship, things will only get better. Recruiting rankings mean nothing. Josh Offit, who scored three goals in a single quarter against Team USA over the weekend, was ranked #80 overall and #20 in the attack ranks by Inside Lacrosse. Danowski is a stellar coach who will develop his new recruits into fine Division I talent.

2011 Class:
Kyle Keenan, A, Smithtown West, N.Y.
Cam Lee, M, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.
Brian Dailey, LSM, Conestoga, Pa.
Will Walker, A, Phillips Academy Andover, Mass.

2010 Class:
Jordan Wolf, A/M. Lower Merion, PA
Henry Lobb, LSM, Malvern Prep, PA
Matt Kunkel, D, Ward Melville, NY
Chris Hipps, D, Highland Park, TX
Luke Duprey, LSM, Philips Exeter, MA

We're doing just fine on the recruiting front. Expect us to lock up some of Tierney's would-be recruits from New England and the Mid-Atlantic, but no one can count Denver out anymore. Moving West was a genius move for Tierney -- California, Texas, and Colorado are quickly developing into hotbeds as the game grows, and there is no other coach to challenge Tierney in these areas. Expect Denver to be a national title contender in a few years.

For more on the Duke Blue Devils, check out Inside Lacrosse's 2010 NPOY Watchlist (http://blogs.insidelacrosse.com/2009/12/11/face-off-yearbook-2010-lacrosse-player-of-the-year-watchlist/#more-22585) and their Fall Ball Check-In with Duke (http://blogs.insidelacrosse.com/2009/10/29/fallball-practice-check-in-duke-blue-devils/)

chrishoke
02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I watched the game and our prospects for this year do indeed look great. Thanks for all the great updates guys.

Interesting to hear on the telecast that Pressler consulted w/ Coach K ABOUT THE "redeem team."

grossbus
02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
"Sam Brady (who's suspended for the season"

as someone else asked, why?

DST Fan
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM

I would only add that, based on Duke's quarterfinal game with UNC in Annapolis last spring, Petracca looked like one of the best goalkeepers in the country. However, I don't know if he played close to that level throughout the 2009 season, and I saw one pre-season summary that suggested he might not have a lock on the job this year.

DukeBlueNikeShox
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
According to the announcers, Sam Brady has been suspended due to academic reasons; however, none of the releases from Duke has confirmed this notion.

The ACC will be absolutely loaded this year! Three of the four teams (Duke, UVa, UNC) are ranked among the preseason top four teams in the country; Maryland is ranked in the top 10.

You know the USA National team is loaded when Joe Walters, Kyle Harrison, and Matt Danowski got cut from the team. However, Duke should be very proud of Matt for taking the high road, and not put USA Lacrosse on blast via Twitter. Some players who didn't make the team, with Walters being the ringleader, had no problem taking joy in the USA's struggles and telling everybody what a mistake USA made in not selecting them for the team. Walters, a New York native, has played for USA, but will now play for Canada. Walters, a former 4 time All-American at Maryland, could seriously put Greivis Vasquez to shame...

As for the "slam" on Pressler, is it a "slam" or the truth?!

towerview road
02-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Moving West was a genius move for Tierney -- California, Texas, and Colorado are quickly developing into hotbeds as the game grows, and there is no other coach to challenge Tierney in these areas. Expect Denver to be a national title contender in a few years.

This made me smile. I used to go to summer camp every year with a large group of my parents' friends' children - all of whom were from Colorado, went to Kent Denver, Colorado Academy, or Cherry Creek, and I remember all the boys used to play lax. This was the early 1990s and they were ADAMANT that lacrosse in Colorado was going to be "a big deal." If memory serves me correctly, I don't even think that there were more than a handful of high schools -- if that -- which fielded lax teams at the time (Cherry Creek, Kent Denver, Mullen School?). Glad to know things are working out for Duke in this way!

greybeard
02-03-2010, 06:36 PM
These next two years, ESPN and the men's lacrosse community will be making a huge push to elevate lacrosse into a big time sport. Tierney's move West is seen by "inside lacrosse," an on-line magazine, as the story of the year. They see teams like Duke traveling out west to elevate the game in the West, I'm betting California and its TV markets.

This game at the beginning of February is of a piece with this plan. Men's/boy's lacrosse is by far the fastest growing sport in terms of participation in the country. If the sport takes off out West, the amount of money in the sport will grow exponentially.

Is this a good thing? You want to go up against Texas, Oklahoma, U of Miami, U of Florida, LSU, UCLA, USC, Cal, Oregon, etc? Me, I'm old fashioned. I don't like it. On the otherhand, my cousin, Mickey Miles Felton, has laid the groundwork for LAX out West coaching a U of Arizona team for the past 30 years. Maybe he'll finally get the national recognition he deserves. Mickey Miles for the lax hall of fame!

Sorry for the hijack. It was a great game, but the USA played like a bunch of 6 year olds--parallel play. So, its hard to tell what to make of the victory. On the other hand, anytime you roll against the likes of Rabil, Powell, and yes, my boy Max, and you come out standing, you are outstanding. Later.

buddy
02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
The major problem I see with the expansion of men's lacrosse is Title IX. Lacrosse squads tend to be large (Duke's is generally 40+). Any school starting a men's program would almost have to start a women's program as well to meet the Title IX guidelines, or else can a couple of men's sports. Lacrosse should not cost very much, but will be a revenue drain at most places. In today's economy that will be difficult. Still, as the game grows in popularity in high schools nationwide, college expansion would appear to be inevitable.

greybeard
02-03-2010, 11:26 PM
The major problem I see with the expansion of men's lacrosse is Title IX. Lacrosse squads tend to be large (Duke's is generally 40+). Any school starting a men's program would almost have to start a women's program as well to meet the Title IX guidelines, or else can a couple of men's sports. Lacrosse should not cost very much, but will be a revenue drain at most places. In today's economy that will be difficult. Still, as the game grows in popularity in high schools nationwide, college expansion would appear to be inevitable.

starting women's teams has begun bug time. Last year, U of fla started with a top, if not the top, recruiting class for starters.

The money issues are likely to be less than you think. LaX is reasonably well suited to TV, much better than soccer, in that it has plenty of room for COMMERCIALS, and non players can relate because the passing and catching is familiar in that it is done with hands, arms and racket type sticks. TV revenues are likely to grow, especially if the techno people get the knack of good coverage angles etc.

Title IX could be a real problem but I think that the women's game can also really gain in popularity. The women's game is much safer than basketball and soccer is for women because it has special rules that preclude pushing and shoving and the geometry of the stick make sharp cuts and dodges extremely problematic. Some complain about the lack of action in the sport but when one gets to appreciate the extraordinary skills involved, and the intricacies of the passing game, even though it is slower (and again safer), I see it as a sport that sports departments who care a wit about women's health issues should be pushing like crazy.

As the dangers inherent in football become more and more documented (UNC is now using special helmets to measure the cumulative impact of non concussive head hits for starters), the pressures to scale back that game should begin to demand a scale back, particularly if trial lawyers get their hands on the data. One can hope anyway (I believe that the evidence will eventually show that hard hits that do not involve head contact cause brain brusing and that the only solution to those vicious hits will be to scale back on protection, making battering ram hits too painful for the hitters).

Lax might well become the stadium game for the future. Time will tell.

The next few years are the take off period for the sport, make no misstake about it.

buddy
02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Your point about the women's game is well taken. As schools struggle with Title IX (anyone notice that women usually outnumber men in college enrollment these days), the women's game can be an inexpensive way to increase female sports participation. I actually think Title IX will inhibit historical football powers from starting men's programs (not prohibit, just inhibit), but I can see non-BCS schools substituting men's lacrosse for (revenue draining) football. I know, the seasons are wrong. But look at Hofstra and Northeastern which just killed football. Rhode Island's program is in deep trouble, and non-power FCS schools might find it advantageous to switch to lacrosse. Hey, Hopkins figured out how to be big time in lacrosse and nothing else. Just sayin'.

greybeard
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Your point about the women's game is well taken. As schools struggle with Title IX (anyone notice that women usually outnumber men in college enrollment these days), the women's game can be an inexpensive way to increase female sports participation. I actually think Title IX will inhibit historical football powers from starting men's programs (not prohibit, just inhibit), but I can see non-BCS schools substituting men's lacrosse for (revenue draining) football. I know, the seasons are wrong. But look at Hofstra and Northeastern which just killed football. Rhode Island's program is in deep trouble, and non-power FCS schools might find it advantageous to switch to lacrosse. Hey, Hopkins figured out how to be big time in lacrosse and nothing else. Just sayin'.

But see Ohio State and Notre Dame, both of whom have been fielding really strong men's lax programs for a while. The revenue produced by football at those powerhouse schools will support men's and women's lax. Men's lax, as I have said, could well become self-sustaining, especially if the science about injury in modern football catches up with the reality and colleges at least, the NFL is another matter, are shamed or forced into taming the game down.

Again, UNC is doing research on the effects on the brain of non-concussive head hits; I think that the data is going to be shocking. I also think that the whiplash effect of a defender going vertical with a full head of steam and cracking someone in the back or chest with incredible force, once they start measuring that, might be even more shocking. I do not know how long the UNC study will need to go on before results are published, but once they are, the game that we know might well be achangin.

In the meantime, lacrosse will keep growing. No, it will never draw 100,000 like big time football regularly does, but it is a reasonably good show. It would be even better if they went back to wooden sticks.

Grey "living ever more in the past" beard :o