PDA

View Full Version : John Wall is Frustrated

airowe
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.lex18.com/news/john-wall-is-frustrated/

"I didn't think I played that bad. I don't know what to expect. He's probably going to say I played bad today too so. I don't know. I just try not to listen to him and go out and play basketball and try and help my team win."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bNlrg2siv38/R6PRwHr0abI/AAAAAAAAAz8/8p8UYHqwrTU/s320/krakatoa-volcano-erupting.gif

dukegirlinsc
01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
That's always a good attitude to have.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Any chance there was of him coming back next year, you can pretty much throw out the window now. Good luck in the NBA John!

Duvall
01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Any chance there was of him coming back next year, you can pretty much throw out the window now. Good luck in the NBA John!

Because there was much of a chance before? He should already be in the NBA.

I think it's easy to make too much of this. Kentucky is balancing two teams - the Gillespie holdovers and the Calipari freshmen - and needs both. There's bound to be some tension, but I don't think it necessarily means anything.

DevilHorns
01-31-2010, 01:36 PM
We definitely cannot comment on the real relationship between Cal and John Wall based off this one comment. Remember John Wall knows he is the best thing since sliced bread and he definitely feels his stop at UK is a stepping stone for the NBA. I am sure we have players on our team that may feel the same frustration after a loss, they just happen to know to keep themselves quiet to the media and don't have the ego that Wall has (by same frustration I mean they feel like maybe they are recieving more blame than they should, etc).

I think its easy for Duke fans to read into this comment more than they should. He's frustrated after a loss. He hasn't learned yet how fast the media can make him look whiny and self-centered. thats all.

allenmurray
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
He hasn't learned yet how fast the media can make him look whiny and self-centered. thats all.

The media can make the best of folks look bad and make the worst of folks look good. However, it is easier for the media to make someone look whiny and self-centered, if in fact they are whiny and self centered, and in this case Wall helped them do so.

DevilHorns
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
The media can make the best of folks look bad and make the worst of folks look good. However, it is easier for the media to make someone look whiny and self-centered, if in fact they are whiny and self centered, and in this case Wall helped them do so.

Haha, yea, I suppose so. But then again as fans, its easy for us to take one quote and run with it to serve our prior assumptions. He's frustrated. I'm sure after a huge win he talks about how much he loves the team and how great Cal is. Would that make him look like an ideal teammate in the eye's of a UK fan? Im sure it would.

mph
01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
We definitely cannot comment on the real relationship between Cal and John Wall based off this one comment. Remember John Wall knows he is the best thing since sliced bread and he definitely feels his stop at UK is a stepping stone for the NBA. I am sure we have players on our team that may feel the same frustration after a loss, they just happen to know to keep themselves quiet to the media and don't have the ego that Wall has (by same frustration I mean they feel like maybe they are recieving more blame than they should, etc).

I think its easy for Duke fans to read into this comment more than they should. He's frustrated after a loss. He hasn't learned yet how fast the media can make him look whiny and self-centered. thats all.

Nice post. I agree with everything you wrote but I still can't help but think that the phrase "I just try not to listen to him" reveals a more serious problem. I admit it's easy for me to hear what I want to hear when it comes to Calipari, but I have a hard time imagining a player saying that about a coach who had the respect of his team. I also think it's consistent with what we've seen during UK games where Calipari has occasionally struggled to keep his players' attention.

allenmurray
01-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Nice post. I agree with everything you wrote but I still can't help but think that the phrase "I just try not to listen to him" reveals a more serious problem. I admit it's easy for me to hear what I want to hear when it comes to Calipari, but I have a hard time imagining a player saying that about a coach who had the respect of his team. I also think it's consistent with what we've seen during UK games where Calipari has occasionally struggled to keep his players' attention.

I'm not sure it speaks to either Wall's character or Calipari's - instead it speaks to the mindset of players who are one-and-done from the very outset - players who are more interested in "showcasing" their game then they are in improving their game.

Wall and others are battling for where in the lottery they will be selected. Their perception (which may well be correct) is that subtle improvements helped along by coaching will not impact that as much as a bunch of high glamour appearances on Sportscenter.

Indoor66
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Ya know, I really don't care what John Wall thinks or does. He is one of 2,000 or so college players who don't play for Duke. What does his relationship with his team or coach have to do with anything other than Kentucky BB - a subject of which I have little or know interest? I just don't understand the fascination with the trials or tribulations of other programs (except all things negative about those located at the Dump on the Hump!) :)

dukelifer
01-31-2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.lex18.com/news/john-wall-is-frustrated/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bNlrg2siv38/R6PRwHr0abI/AAAAAAAAAz8/8p8UYHqwrTU/s320/krakatoa-volcano-erupting.gif

This is one of the issues by being one a done. Wall is the number 1 pick and he really does not need to do any more. He can sit for the rest of the season and he will still be the pick. So he is thinking about his NBA future and Cal is trying to win something while he has a chance and a team that might run the table. But if they do not all come together- it will not happen. Wall is looking out for number 1 just like Cal.

moonpie23
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
if demarcus cousins continues to play at the high level he is currently WITHOUT SOME HORRIBLE INCIDENT OF LOSING HIS TEMPER (currently predicted by moi in another thread) he may actually displace Wall as the # 1 pick..

cousins is a monster. built for the NBA with a time-bomb temper thrown in for good measure..

rasheed wallace is a "nice, down to earth good person" compared to what it is bubbling under in DM...

Mike Corey
01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
He's trying not to listen to Calipari?

Sounds pretty smart to me.

;)

sagegrouse
01-31-2010, 06:08 PM
What's the over/under on the number of classes John Wall attends second semester?

sagegrouse

dukelifer
01-31-2010, 06:24 PM
if demarcus cousins continues to play at the high level he is currently WITHOUT SOME HORRIBLE INCIDENT OF LOSING HIS TEMPER (currently predicted by moi in another thread) he may actually displace Wall as the # 1 pick..

cousins is a monster. built for the NBA with a time-bomb temper thrown in for good measure..

rasheed wallace is a "nice, down to earth good person" compared to what it is bubbling under in DM...
It is that temper and attitude that will scare teams away from him. He is not a kid that will lead his teammates and I am sure will be a handful. I expect Wall will be the top pick- but then again it will come down to need.

Newton_14
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
He's trying not to listen to Calipari?

Sounds pretty smart to me.

;)

That was too funny!

I am a softy by a nature when it comes to young people, so I actually hate to see this. I really don't think Wall is a bad kid, he just needs guidance and discupline. I still believe he needed Coach K moreso than Coach K needed him. Wall is a tremendous talent, maybe the best young PG I have ever seen at his age and he can use that talent to take him to the top of the basketball world or he can go off track and have constant troubles... It will be interesting to see how he ultimately turns out.

roywhite
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
What's the over/under on the number of classes John Wall attends second semester?

sagegrouse

It's a low number no doubt, but no lower than the number of classes that DeMarcus Cousins is likely to attend, and no lower than Calipari's concern about either's academic progress.

slower
01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
...rasheed wallace is a "nice, down to earth good person" compared to what it is bubbling under in DM...

and don't jump all over me for this, 'Sheed is actually a pretty darn endearing personality off the court. Check out some of his YouTube (off-court) clips.

JG Nothing
02-01-2010, 02:00 AM

sagegrouse

Is this the same player many posters on this board wanted to see in a Duke uniform? :rolleyes:

Mike Corey
02-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Is this the same player many posters on this board wanted to see in a Duke uniform? :rolleyes:

To be fair, Mike Krzyzewski wanted him, too.

allenmurray
02-01-2010, 08:11 AM
His personal development might have looked a little different under K than Calipari.

moonpie23
02-01-2010, 08:46 AM
i have very little doubt that john's one year at duke under coach k would help make him a better person in life..

calimari cares about one thing......calimari...

stillcrazie
02-01-2010, 09:06 AM
During the USC game, I saw Calipari say something to Wall on the sidelines. Without even looking at Calipari, I saw Wall say, "That's not my fault" back to him. I thought the disrespect was shocking and couldn't imagine a Duke player even thinking about talking to Coach K that way.

Bluedevil114
02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I hope this has an effect on the recruiting of Quincy Miller. Quincy also sees himself as a one and done but he is very close with John Wall. Maybe John tells Quincy to stay away. Just a hope!!

roywhite
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I hope this has an effect on the recruiting of Quincy Miller. Quincy also sees himself as a one and done but he is very close with John Wall. Maybe John tells Quincy to stay away. Just a hope!!

I know we all want the best players and Quincy sounds like a good one, but seems to me the choice between UK/Calipari and Duke/Coach K is pretty fundamental. They are different in many ways that even a 17-18 year old kid (and his family and advisers) should be able to tell.

What I'm saying is that if Quincy gets a good taste of both programs, and chooses UK, that's where he belongs. If he sees the benefits of coming to Duke, he'll make that choice.

oldnavy
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I know we all want the best players and Quincy sounds like a good one, but seems to me the choice between UK/Calipari and Duke/Coach K is pretty fundamental. They are different in many ways that even a 17-18 year old kid (and his family and advisers) should be able to tell.

What I'm saying is that if Quincy gets a good taste of both programs, and chooses UK, that's where he belongs. If he sees the benefits of coming to Duke, he'll make that choice.

Could not agree with you more, well said!

johnb
02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
and if he'd come to Duke, he'd have learned not to say such things.

ACCBBallFan
02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Bobby Knight commented on it last night in a game he was announcing. John Wall did have 7 turnoveds which did cost him team as much as 14-21 points.

All through HS an AAU he has never really been told what his weaknesses are, just people blowing smoke his way, much of which is deserved.

oldnavy
02-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Bobby Knight commented on it last night in a game he was announcing. John Wall did have 7 turnoveds which did cost him team as much as 14-21 points.

All through HS an AAU he has never really been told what his weaknesses are, just people blowing smoke his way, much of which is deserved.

I remember thinking the same thing about Wall when I saw him play a little earlier this year. He is very talented but at times a little out of control and sloppy with the ball. I think had he come to Duke he would have been required to value the ball more. It goes without saying that he would have learned more about character under Coach K than under Calamari.

weezie
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
It will be delightful watching him come up against Kobe, Chauncey or Steve next year.

moonpie23
02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
i just about seize up when i think back about Battier's first meeting against Kobe. man, kobe blistered him good...

shudder... !!!!

shoutingncu
02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
It will be delightful watching him come up against Kobe, Chauncey or Steve next year.

Or Derrick, or Tyreke... ;)

SupaDave
02-02-2010, 08:44 PM

OR the NBA just might suit him well like a certain Mr. Jennings...

uh_no
02-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I thought the disrespect was shocking and couldn't imagine a Duke player even thinking about talking to Coach K that way.

If any coach hasn't earned my respect, it would be calipari....