PDA

View Full Version : Has Pitino lost his relevance?

BD80
01-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Louisville lost Again, now 13-8 and 4-4, and losing 4 of last 5.

They made the elite eight the last two years, but made the NIT final four more recently than THE Final Four. With 10 games left, they still have games aginst Syracuse (2), GTown, uCon (2), and ND. They are not a shoo-in for 20 wins or an NCAA berth.

3 of the top 6 scorers are seniors.

Doesn't look like they have much coming next year to help.

They have 2 big guys coming in 2011, but will that be enough?

With Cal and Ky getting all of the attention, I would imagine the UL faithful are getting a bit antsy.

FireOgilvie
01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
You answered the question when you said he made the Elite 8 the last 2 years. I'd wait a couple more years before making that statement.

He lost his best recruit to Europe recently, which will hurt. I'm sure he'll be fine eventually.

KyDevilinIL
01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
This is certainly an interesting day to point out other teams' losses/shortcomings on a Duke board.

BD80
01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
This is certainly an interesting day to point out other teams' losses/shortcomings on a Duke board.

No, no, no. You're not supposed to be looking over there. The trick is much more entertaining when you look over here.

Actually, it provides a bit of perspective to view the reaction to other teams' losses, particularly a program like Louisville. We just lost to a very good team on the road in front of the national media and the POTUS. We can still be a final four team. Viewing the reactions in Louisville might inform some of those most critical on this board. It could be worse.

gotham devil
01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
No, no, no. You're not supposed to be looking over there. The trick is much more entertaining when you look over here.

Actually, it provides a bit of perspective to view the reaction to other teams' losses, particularly a program like Louisville. We just lost to a very good team on the road in front of the national media and the POTUS. We can still be a final four team. Viewing the reactions in Louisville might inform some of those most critical on this board. It could be worse.

Under the category of "it could be worse," Brey and ND lost to a dead man walking in Freddie Hill and Rutgers. Brey may regret not taking another high-major job, when it was available-even UGA.

Amaker got smoked tonight in Ithaca, 86-50, in a game which likely determined which Ivy League team will get an NCAA bid.

pfrduke
01-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Amaker got smoked tonight in Ithaca, 86-50, in a game which likely determined which Ivy League team will get an NCAA bid.

Not necessarily. They'll get to run it back in Cambridge, although Harvard's margin of error is precisely zero. It's possible for both teams to finish 13-1, in which case there's a playoff game to decide the league title.

gotham devil
01-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Not necessarily. They'll get to run it back in Cambridge, although Harvard's margin of error is precisely zero. It's possible for both teams to finish 13-1, in which case there's a playoff game to decide the league title.
Yes, hence the word "likely."
Given the 36 point whipping, however, I wouldn't expect a dramatically different outcome on 2/19. The Crimson will still probably get an opening round NIT road game.

xblade
01-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Louisville lost Again, now 13-8 and 4-4, and losing 4 of last 5.

They made the elite eight the last two years, but made the NIT final four more recently than THE Final Four.

When was the last time we made the Elite 8?

We can still be a final four team.

Sure we can....just not this year.

Billy Dat
02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Pitino, unless he's a robot, has to have been adversely impacted by the turmoil in his private life. Bottom line, if we were playing a big game, I wouldn't want it to be against a team he was coaching. He's got a lot of good years left.