PDA

View Full Version : MOTM vs. Georgetown

JBDuke
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the Georgetown game?

CDu
01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
If ever there was a game where nobody stood out as playing particularly well, this was it. We were very balanced in not having a great day today.

PSurprise
01-30-2010, 03:37 PM
No one today. I think Thomas was the only one to hit at least half of his shots.

CDu
01-30-2010, 03:38 PM
No one today. I think Thomas was the only one to hit at least half of his shots.

Yeah, but even he added 4 turnovers and 4 fouls. Thomas was my first thought, but even he didn't have a very good game.

ice-9
01-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow, for the first time in...this is definitely the first time actually...I don't really want to pick anyone for MOTM. Nobody played well today.

But if I had to pick...I'll go with Nolan, who at least sorta had a decent second half after a horrible shooting first half.

Son of Mojo
01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
I can't place a vote on this one. It was pretty craptastic from beginning to end for everyone. My only hope is that they learn from this and learn what not to do.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
For the first time this year I can't vote either.

chrisheery
01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
The only person who played his role appropriately and maybe better than expected was Lance. I voted for him, but really out of a default situation.

devildeac
01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
abstain

sandinmyshoes
01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I wanted to vote for Curry. He had to have had as little responsibility in this debacle as anyone. Just a tough, tough day for our guys.

CDu
01-30-2010, 03:53 PM
The only person who played his role appropriately and maybe better than expected was Lance. I voted for him, but really out of a default situation.

Gotta disagree with the wording here. He committed 4 fouls, had 4 turnovers, and Monroe went for 21, 7, and 5 on 7-11 shooting from the field (with a 5:2 a:to ratio).

I agree that Thomas played Monroe better than any of the other bigs tonight, but I wouldn't say that he was better than expected.

That said, I agree that nobody else played better than expected either.

allenmurray
01-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I thought Obama did a nice job at the announcers table. Clark and Verne seemd to enjoy having him, he made some good basketball comments, and was pretty witty. I'd have to go with Barak.

tele
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Lance. He managed to stay on the floor somehow with the tight whistles and the georgetown size inside.

oldnavy
01-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Mason for the slam at the end of the game. It was basically our only highlight.

Kimist
01-30-2010, 05:00 PM
My vote would have to be N/A for this game.

(And Obama does seem like a basically nice guy....sans teleprompter ;))

CDu
01-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Mason for the slam at the end of the game. It was basically our only highlight.

That was a great dunk. I just wish he could figure out how to make a consistent impact on the game. He's been basically a non-factor in each of the last four games after a terrific game against Wake.

So much of the expectations for this team were based on the prospect of Mason adding another dimension to the team (an impact player at the 4/5 spot to go along with our big three). But it just hasn't seemed to click for him yet. Hopefully it does in February.

chadlee989
01-30-2010, 05:14 PM
my vote is to never have a MOTM poll again when we have a double digit loss

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
N/A...

jv001
01-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Well I have to say that my hearts not in this vote. No one deserves it. I voted for Kyle for putting his body into every loose ball, rebound, and just for not backing down. He was not timid. Just wish he and the other guys had played better. Go Duke!

Greg_Newton
01-30-2010, 05:55 PM
That was a great dunk. I just wish he could figure out how to make a consistent impact on the game. He's been basically a non-factor in each of the last four games after a terrific game against Wake.

So much of the expectations for this team were based on the prospect of Mason adding another dimension to the team (an impact player at the 4/5 spot to go along with our big three). But it just hasn't seemed to click for him yet. Hopefully it does in February.

One thing I really do like about Mason though is his mental approach to big time competition. His mental approach to the game needs huge work - he needs to realize he can't play rugby-style defense, and that he just needs to move his feet and contain his opponent rather than trying to take the ball from him on every play. But two things about him that stand out to me are..

A) How personally he takes getting beat, and how much he absolutely hates losing. I thought I was frustrated by the last couple minutes, but when they showed a close up of him he looked like he was about to explode.

B) He's the only guy we have that makes the kind of play that makes an away crowd go "whoa" and fall into a hushed silence for a second. He's got that combination of physical gifts and attitude that demands respect when it comes together... and it's a big asset when you have a guy that can make a hyped-up team and their 20k fans stop for a second and say damn, that guy just punched us in the mouth. Gives you a little swagger back, and takes a little away from the home squad.

He still has a ton of the actual game to learn, and it remains to be seen whether he can make enough progress this year to be a big factor... but I still think he's going to be a great one for us one day.

(Sorry for getting off topic, I just figure there's not much to legitimately discuss in this thread anyway.:rolleyes:)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Rather than vote for no one, I voted for Zoubs. He had less to do with today's loss than anyone else who played. I couldn't believe the refs whistled him for a foul in the first second he was officially in the game (and maybe before) positioning for a free throw miss. The refs just didn't let him play at all.

jipops
01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
If ever there was a game where nobody stood out as playing particularly well, this was it. We were very balanced in not having a great day today.

I actually felt that way about the State game. At least today we were blown out by a good team.

weezie
01-30-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm voting for myself. After a hellacious drive in there and the usual opposing team abuse in the corridors, watching that disaster and then a nice 30mph drive on I66 in the teeth of the storm, I'd say I deserve the pat on the back.:(

But, I did manage to put my free gtown tshirt to good use when someone spilled a coke on my shoes.

ACCBBallFan
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Georgetown's big 3 all outplayed Duke's top 3, but defense was a bigger problem than offense.

Rating Player/Team
78 Chris Wright, G
76 Greg Monroe, C
74 Austin Freeman, G
72 Jon Scheyer, G

68 Kyle Singler, F
62 TOTALS-Gtown

59 Nolan Smith, G
50 TOTALS-Duke

43 Lance Thomas, F
40 Jason Clark, G

33 Julian Vaughn, F
30 Miles Plumlee, F

27 Jerrelle Benimon, F
24 Hollis Thompson, F
20 Mason Plumlee, F

17 Andre Dawkins, G

03 Ryan Kelly, F
01 Vee Sanford, G
-1 Brian Zoubek, C

DukeDevilDeb
01-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Rather than vote for no one, I voted for Zoubs. He had less to do with today's loss than anyone else who played. I couldn't believe the refs whistled him for a foul in the first second he was officially in the game (and maybe before) positioning for a free throw miss. The refs just didn't let him play at all.

the clock hadn't started yet. That may be something for Guinness Book of World Records. What is the shortest time you can be in a game and foul? Leader: Zoubs with 0 seconds!:(

CameronBornAndBred
01-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Abstained.

ohioguy2
01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I respectfully abstain.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm voting for myself. After a hellacious drive in there and the usual opposing team abuse in the corridors, watching that disaster and then a nice 30mph drive on I66 in the teeth of the storm, I'd say I deserve the pat on the back.:(

But, I did manage to put my free gtown tshirt to good use when someone spilled a coke on my shoes.

My vote goes to you too, weezie! Bless your heart!
Love, Ima

Newton_14
01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Abstain

Newton_14
01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Georgetown's big 3 all outplayed Duke's top 3, but defense was a bigger problem than offense.

Rating Player/Team
78 Chris Wright, G
76 Greg Monroe, C
74 Austin Freeman, G
72 Jon Scheyer, G

68 Kyle Singler, F
62 TOTALS-Gtown

59 Nolan Smith, G
50 TOTALS-Duke

43 Lance Thomas, F
40 Jason Clark, G

33 Julian Vaughn, F
30 Miles Plumlee, F

27 Jerrelle Benimon, F
24 Hollis Thompson, F
20 Mason Plumlee, F

17 Andre Dawkins, G

03 Ryan Kelly, F
01 Vee Sanford, G
-1 Brian Zoubek, C

Hey, can you explain the calculation and the scale please? How do you calculate the number for each player, what it's based on, etc. and what the highest possible score is. That would help.

Thanks!!

CDu
01-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Hey, can you explain the calculation and the scale please? How do you calculate the number for each player, what it's based on, etc. and what the highest possible score is. That would help.

Thanks!!

Seconded. I feel like this question has been asked numerous times (I think I've asked and I'm fairly sure Jumbo has asked as well), but I don't remember seeing an answer. It's hard to take the scoring system very seriously if you don't know what is going into the calculations.

greybeard
02-01-2010, 02:35 PM

This, I believe is on the coaches. He needs to get lots of touches. So does his brother. If Singler can shoot low percentages, they should have the leeway to miss a few or turn it over some. It's not like they'd be alone.

I believe an inside game among the bigs, Singler included, would be quite effective.