PDA

View Full Version : FB: Alex Hill Recruiting: What the heck?

loran16
01-30-2010, 01:48 AM
So, i know its bball season, but just came across this and didn't see it in a thread here:

Alex Hill is a two-star (Scout) OG (Offensive Lineman). On the 18th he committed to Duke.

Two days ago he decommits. Now it seems (I don't have scout.com membership so i can't read the articles) that he's committed to Illinois.

Anyone know what the hell happened here? Seems rather...weird.

Faison1
01-30-2010, 08:23 AM
So, i know its bball season, but just came across this and didn't see it in a thread here:

Alex Hill is a two-star (Scout) OG (Offensive Lineman). On the 18th he committed to Duke.

Two days ago he decommits. Now it seems (I don't have scout.com membership so i can't read the articles) that he's committed to Illinois.

Anyone know what the hell happened here? Seems rather...weird.

Yes, that's a bummer. I just noticed it too. I am no "insider" or premium subscriber, but from what it looks like, the kid was going around looking for offers from any big program saying he would commit on the spot. Probably got the offer from Duke, and shortly after got one from Illinois......but that's just a pure guess.

Football recruiting is definitely weird.....from what I can tell this year, we've had 3 verbal's de-commit and go elsewhere.....I don't think it's unusual...

Olympic Fan
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't claim to be an insider, but if you follow football recruiting at all, you know that de-commits are quite common in football (unlike basketball, where they happen with far les frequency). Just watch the crawl on ESPNU -- they have a "Recruit" category and half the guys they report have de-committed from one school to commit to another.

Alex Hill originally committed to New Mexico. He de-committed from them and committed to Duke. He decommitted from Duke and committed to Illinois. Reportedly (don't know this, but it's in one of the stories I read), he really wants to go to Auburn, but they haven't offered. If they come through with a late offer, he'll de-commit from Illinois and commit to Auburn.

Duke has lost three good commitments this fall. But in recent years, we've gotten a few too -- Sean Renfree was a Georgia Tech commit ... Desmond Scott was a Rutgers commit.

That could happen again. Right now, I'm holding my breath hoping that Tra Thomas, a big defensive tackle who committed to Clemson, changes his mind and signs with Duke -- again, no inside info, but I read he was upset when Clemson landed Josh Watson (another Duke DT target) the day after he committed. I do know he made an official visit to Duke after his Clemson committ. We'll see what happens.

CameronBornAndBred
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Isn't it the last week for football recruiting? I'm sure it's hectic out there, with plenty of schools trying to snag commits from other schools. Just think about what Lane Kiffin and his slimy coaching staff are up to this week.

loran16
01-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Isn't it the last week for football recruiting? I'm sure it's hectic out there, with plenty of schools trying to snag commits from other schools. Just think about what Lane Kiffin and his slimy coaching staff are up to this week.

Pretty sure signing day is this week. That's why i thought the decommittal was unusual...it's beyond late to do so.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Pretty sure signing day is this week. That's why i thought the decommittal was unusual...it's beyond late to do so.

National Signing Day is February 3.