PDA

View Full Version : Lack of UNC Hate

ScreechTDX
05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I have lurked here for some time and it seems that many of you have become pretty complacent with not hating on UNC.

I dont know if you have lost your edge or perhaps have moved away from the hostility of UNC fans but you will never (other than objectively discussing aspects of the program) hear me compliment the UNC program for the hell of it.

I still have to endure the irrational raging hatred of UNC fans during discussions or while watching games. Threads like "UNC players I have Liked" make me sick. We will always be outnumbered by these idiots and I, for one, wont give them an inch without them hearing from me.

Being a Duke fan did not plant the seeds of contempt, being around UNC fans did.

The dejected look on a UNC fans face is my reason for living; specifically when Duke is the cause.

LOUNGE UP DUKE FANS!!

BlueDevilBaby
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Brother! I will not root for them even if it means something good for Duke or the ACC in general. I have tried in the past, and when it comes down to it, I can't. I don't like any Tarheel while they are playing for the Tarheels. Otherwise, I will root for them to do well if they are playing for my pro team. If not, they can rot! While we're at it, can we change the color of the icons to something other than that ugly shade of blue?

dukeENG2003
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
my tarheel hatred is a live and well, worry not. GTHC!

HateCarolina
05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I can assure you as well that my absolute hatred of all things Carolina is alive and seething....

Uncle Drew
05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I have lurked here for some time and it seems that many of you have become pretty complacent with not hating on UNC.

I dont know if you have lost your edge or perhaps have moved away from the hostility of UNC fans but you will never (other than objectively discussing aspects of the program) hear me compliment the UNC program for the hell of it.

I still have to endure the irrational raging hatred of UNC fans during discussions or while watching games. Threads like "UNC players I have Liked" make me sick. We will always be outnumbered by these idiots and I, for one, wont give them an inch without them hearing from me.

Being a Duke fan did not plant the seeds of contempt, being around UNC fans did.

The dejected look on a UNC fans face is my reason for living; specifically when Duke is the cause.

LOUNGE UP DUKE FANS!!

Okay you can offend my masculinity, call me a wuss, a liberal and perhaps even insult my mother. But NEVER, EVER doubt my hate for all things UNC! The moderators for the sake of decency promote level headed discussion as they should which keeps most of us from expressing our true feelings. (So not to get banned.) But suffice it to say if Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Adolph Hitler, Fidel Castro and the emperor Caligula got together and formed a basketball team.....then got Lucifer himself to coach. I'd pull for them over UNC any day! A lot of us old timers pulled for the USSR national team when they played UNC years ago. We knew Russia was at the time our enemy. But there are so many fruitcake weirdos in Chapel Hill it doesn't qualify as planet earth. I love Duke, but I hate UNC more!

Go to hell Carolina, go to hell!

Dukerati
05-08-2007, 04:15 PM
lol latta. you have an unfortunate user name as it invokes the image of a certain female basketball player but nonetheless, props for the thoroughly entertaining post.

Oh yeah, I hate UNC too. I spent three months in freezing conditions under a flimsy tent, just to watch my beloved Devils lose to the Heels. Funny how one game can generate enough hatred for a lifetime....

throatybeard
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
It's difficult to sustain hate like that over your whole life. Hating UNC really hard is kind of Ugrad. It's a stage you go through, a stage you must go though. But by the time you're in your late 20s or whatever, who's got the energy?

Indoor66
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't "hate" UNC or anyone else. I dislike UNC, very strongly. I never root for UNC and never will. Hate them? No. Hate is so debilitating. UNC does not deserve that much of my energy.

ScreechTDX
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
It's difficult to sustain hate like that over your whole life. Hating UNC really hard is kind of Ugrad. It's a stage you go through, a stage you must go though. But by the time you're in your late 20s or whatever, who's got the energy?

Perhaps it is because I am surrounded by UNC fans and they tend to bring out the best in me.:)

I pee on snotty UNC fans in my :confused: :) dreams.

throatybeard
05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I'll say this. It gets easier to put the rivalry out of your head if you move away from North Carolina.

Being a Duke fan/alumnus is not a fun status the last few years. But in North Carolina, you might as well be doing it with a "verbal abuse welcome" sign around your neck, if you've got any Duke gear on. So yeah, it is a lot easier for those of us who split.

Lavabe
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't "hate" UNC or anyone else. I dislike UNC, very strongly. I never root for UNC and never will. Hate them? No. Hate is so debilitating. UNC does not deserve that much of my energy.

How do I loathe UNC, let me count the waves.

I went through that phase of not having enough energy. Then my daughter was teased by UNC masses at a summer camp. That energized it for the family.

Unfortunately, we now live in a district whose high school colors are those of the Chapel Hill-ians. YCCH! :mad:

Cheers and loathe,
Lavabe

SilkyJ
05-08-2007, 04:39 PM

[begin outrage] Hate, despise, loathe, do not respect, and generally wish for pain and suffering would describe my feelings.

Dislike? Go have a pillow fight or something

Well aren't you just mr mature. And actually you're very wrong. My folks both went to Duke and they HATE UNC with a passion. [/still fuming]

rsvman
05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I am a physician at a children's hospital and still I put my GTHC sticker on the door of my office. I also have one inside the office, hanging on my bookshelf.

DevilAlumna
05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I'll say this. It gets easier to put the rivalry out of your head if you move away from North Carolina.

That's fairly true. Out here, Washington & Washington State claim to be rivals, but I see nothing even remotely close to the hatred/loathing stemming from the Duke/UNC rivalry. I laugh at their disgust for one another -- it's barely impolite sneering in comparison. Not too many people out here have any ties to one NC school or another, so I only get ragged on by Duke-haters, who are few and far between.

As for my loathing of UNC, it's born out of a bit of mutual respect. We each know we know who's better, and that's that. In regards to Maryland fans, I just hate 'em. Hate 'em all.

Lord Ash
05-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I have to say, I am put off by the idiot Carolina fans whose posts I have read. You see their stupid, blinding hatred, which renders them unable to see any sort of truth or moderation, and all I can think of is "God I am glad that isn't me."

wilson
05-08-2007, 05:41 PM

I disagree. For me, hating unc was kind of fourth grade or so, and I forgot to ever outgrow it. I do not root for the holes for ACC pride or any other such reason. I love Duke more than I hate unc, but my kuralonna hatred is plenty strong.

The Gordog
05-08-2007, 05:45 PM

I do. And I'm 43.

Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!

Classof06
05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I have to say, I am put off by the idiot Carolina fans whose posts I have read. You see their stupid, blinding hatred, which renders them unable to see any sort of truth or moderation, and all I can think of is "God I am glad that isn't me."

Absolutely, positively spot on, Lord Ash. Go to the ESPN's CBB message boards and get a taste of what these idiots have to say. I think when you hear Carolina fans and how moronic and blinding their hate for Duke is, you simply feel good that you're not that ignorant. I mean, Duke fans hate Carolina, but they're also realistic. There are Carolina fans who honestly believe Coach K is a racist. Literally. Then there are those that believe UNLV threw the game in '91 and that's the only reason Duke won it that year. Or those who call us out for not scheduling anyone when our RPI SOS was #3 in the nation last year. They're just not logical. As much as everyone here hates Carolina, there comes a certain point where you can put it in perspective. Carolina fans cannot. And it's called an inferiority complex...

freedevil
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
My hate is thick, unending, and merciless. Moderators, hold me back.

CameronBlue
05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
what actually tempered my hate, built from years of frustrating losses to the dreaded Holes/Tools during the Dean years was when I attended grad school at UNC. But instead of displacing my hatred with a begrudging respect, it was pity that overcame me when encountering the poor unwashed masses of state supported education in the flesh. I sort of felt like Jesus among the lepers and did what I could to touch their souls and relieve their misery. I'm pretty sure they were grateful.

weezie
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I do. And I'm 43.

Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm older than you are so that means I have had time to hate them more.
And I do.

Virginian
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
So I don't "hate" Carolina. But I'll never root for their team. I'd just as soon ignore their fans and not give them the satisfaction of hating them.

Now, Maryland fans -- that's where my philosophical rejection of hatred is sorely tested.

Then there's self hatred. When my Duke roomate/housemate of four years graduated and went to UNC grad school it took him about 2 months to become a huge Carolina fan. When I found out and, incredulous, asked him why, he laid out the Carolina litany about Duke students all being spoiled little mama's boy rich kids from up North who never had to work a day in their lives, and blah blah blah. I reminded him quietly that the only Duke student we ever knew who fit that description was HIM and wasn't it interesting how well he fit in at UNC. We didn't discuss the matter much after that.

Now what was my point? Oh yes, I can't stand those folks, but -- really -- I don't "hate" them. As someone here wisely noted, they aren't worth the effort.

Think of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, whose protagonist Howard Rourke is hounded mercilessly by a sniveling little coward who at the books' end confronts Rourke and baits him with taunts of "go ahead, tell me what you think of me!" Rourke looks at the little bastard with disdain and says "I DON'T think of you." That's my approach to Carolina.

Buckeye Devil
05-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree with the sentiment about the thread "UNC players I have liked." I was appalled to read such a thing on the DBR Board and thought about a nasty reply, but kept it to myself.

That would be as bad as me as an Ohio State football fan asking other OSU fans to name Michigan players they liked. It's preposterous. I almost got into it with a UNC grad here in Ohio at work. To make a long story short, she brought in her credentials for a position to my office and I saw all this UNC stuff, so I asked her about it and she said "Go Heels." I did not go to Duke but I told her I despised Carolina as a Duke fan.

It is good that the hiring decision wasn't left up to me because it would have been hard to maintain objectivity. She nauseated me and I have to fight off the negative impression that I have of her every time I see her at work.

Quit being a bunch of weenies, Duke fans. I think that this erroneous thinking will end when Duke gets back to squashing them again-hopefully soon!

UncleBill
05-08-2007, 09:34 PM
My dear wife has only been a Duke fan since about a year into our relationship, maybe 5 years, and she didn't experience the Tobacco Road undergrad life, so she has had to learn from me, and other Dukies. She is normally a very good Duke fan, but not so long ago she bought a pair of shorts for our twin boys that was just a bit too close to that color, and while I did not demand she take them back, I do try to restrict their use, and they may disappear before too long (the shorts, not the twins). There may be a player from down there that I may respect for their skill and positive demeanor (they must have both, which is rare), but I will not only never pull for them, I will always pull against them, something my wife is learning.

Truth
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Just curious, why is it acceptable to root for a UNC player on your pro team?

I would think the anti-UNC sentiment would flow deeper than your pro-'pro team' enthusiasm, no?

I, for one, refuse to draft UNC players in fantasy basketball leagues because it would ruin my enjoyment of the league to have to cheer for these clowns.

Uncle Drew
05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
lol latta. you have an unfortunate user name as it invokes the image of a certain female basketball player but nonetheless, props for the thoroughly entertaining post.

Yes I know all too well I share the same last name as Ivory Latta. Every time she would lead the heels to a victory when I got to work UNC fans would have the headline, "Latta Leads Heels To Victory" all over the break room. I've never been so glad for any player to graduate! Almost as bad is that Raymond Felton is from Latta SC.

Oh yeah, I hate UNC too. I spent three months in freezing conditions under a flimsy tent, just to watch my beloved Devils lose to the Heels. Funny how one game can generate enough hatred for a lifetime....

I can tell you the actual game that I started noticing UNC bias and changed me from just being a Duke fan into an ABCer. Mike Gminski in all four years at Duke NEVER fouled out of a game. Duke was playing and leading UNC toward the end of a game and Dean Smith called for a press / trap. Mike got the ball and some scrub off the bench is all over the G-Man, enough contact to where a foul should have been called at least twice. Gminski turned with his elbows extended and ball over his head. His elbow grazed the face of the UNC guy and apparently UNC has a fine drama department because the UNC player fell out like he'd be shanked in the shower. Honestly I can't remember if they called Gminski for a foul or not, but this one point I do remember. Dean Smith instead of checking on the well being of his own player was in the ear of referee Lenny "How May I Serve Thee Dean" Wertz. A good ten minutes passed and due to Deans urges they threw the G-Man out of the game. Duke battled as best they could, but without their best player UNC won a close one. I'll never forget Gminski sitting on the bench with a towel over his head crying. From that point on I have loathed everything related to those baby blue #@$@@$'s

what actually tempered my hate, built from years of frustrating losses to the dreaded Holes/Tools during the Dean years was when I attended grad school at UNC. But instead of displacing my hatred with a begrudging respect, it was pity that overcame me when encountering the poor unwashed masses of state supported education in the flesh. I sort of felt like Jesus among the lepers and did what I could to touch their souls and relieve their misery. I'm pretty sure they were grateful.

Obviously unlike yourself I am just a life long fan and didn't have the means to attend Duke. A Duke grad would never use the term "shanked in the shower". Which raises an interesting question are graduates considered bigger or better fans than those who never attended Duke?

Throaty, I honestly find I hate them even more every year. I can actually feel my blood pressure go up during some Duke / UNC games. I thought once Dean retired or they finally had one bad season (can you say 8-20?) it would even off. But now that they have come all the way back AND won a national championship I want to see them have 15 straight 8 and 20 seasons. Some say Duke needs UNC and UNC needs Duke to maintain each others success. I for one could handle a long string of bad UNC seasons. I want it to be that when you see a UNC shirt it smells like moth balls because it's been in storage since their last victory.

She is normally a very good Duke fan, but not so long ago she bought a pair of shorts for our twin boys that was just a bit too close to that color, and while I did not demand she take them back, I do try to restrict their use, and they may disappear before too long (the shorts, not the twins).

When I was born my father had anything baby blue returned, said he wouldn't allow a dog to wear that color. He told us when he died to postpone the funeral if Duke was playing. Duke beat UVA at noon, we had the funeral at 3PM. Now HE was a Duke fan.

Just curious, why is it acceptable to root for a UNC player on your pro team?

It's not, you want your team to win and if there is a UNC player you want them to never put him in the game and eventually cut or trade him.

SilkyJ
05-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Absolutely, positively spot on, Lord Ash. Go to the ESPN's CBB message boards and get a taste of what these idiots have to say. I think when you hear Carolina fans and how moronic and blinding their hate for Duke is, you simply feel good that you're not that ignorant. I mean, Duke fans hate Carolina, but they're also realistic. There are Carolina fans who honestly believe Coach K is a racist. Literally. Then there are those that believe UNLV threw the game in '91 and that's the only reason Duke won it that year. Or those who call us out for not scheduling anyone when our RPI SOS was #3 in the nation last year. They're just not logical. As much as everyone here hates Carolina, there comes a certain point where you can put it in perspective. Carolina fans cannot. And it's called an inferiority complex...

Let's not forget they aren't that bright. I had a carolina fan (a colleague) try to insult me/duke by using the following insults:

"my dislike for Duke comes from the fact that I used to work for a duke grad...and he was 7 years younger than me"

10 seconds later

"I had a friend who went to Duke, but only cause he couldn't get into UNC. Well actually, he just didn't get the scholarship he wanted, so he paid twice as much money to go to school with a bunch of kids from new jersey"

i didn't even know what to say. i know they say we're smug, but come on...

freedevil
05-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Funny that the UNC faculty wishes it could get more of those "New Jersey" kids (read: not from North Carolina).... for some reason they seem to be twice as smart as the rest of the student body....... and, my gosh, the faculty at UNC seems to notice....

Lavabe
05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
... to the person who posted the "JT Gets it Right" mp3 file on the old board.

I believe a link to it is in order for this thread!

9F!

Cheers and loathing,
Lavabe

BlueDevilBaby
05-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I like the Nets, Knicks and Wizards, mostly due to geographic proximity growing up and now living in the DC area. I don't actively support the UNC players. I don't jump off my couch with joy when Carter makes a good spin move and slams one home. And I can't stand Brendan H. But I probably root harder for any team with a Duke player because I want them to succeed even moreso. Go Bulls!

ScreechTDX
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Let's not forget they aren't that bright. I had a carolina fan (a colleague) try to insult me/duke by using the following insults:

"my dislike for Duke comes from the fact that I used to work for a duke grad...and he was 7 years younger than me"

10 seconds later

"I had a friend who went to Duke, but only cause he couldn't get into UNC. Well actually, he just didn't get the scholarship he wanted, so he paid twice as much money to go to school with a bunch of kids from new jersey"

i didn't even know what to say. i know they say we're smug, but come on...

"From an evolutionary standpoint...UNC and Maryland fans are pretty smart apes."

-Charles Darwin

CMS2478
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I agree with Virginian, I strongly dislike Carolina but I don't "hate" them. When I think of "hate" I think of the Inside Carolina message boards and how you can go over there on any given day and see at least a handful of threads bashing Duke. I really don't care that much about Carolina to assert myself to go to all that trouble. I think if you live to "hate" something or someone, you are too engrossed by them. :D

JStuart
05-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Ahh, Throaty, you've been away too long from the 919 area code. Having to live around UNC fans of any level keeps the intensity going quite well, even into one's 50's. Just the local sports coverage is enough to keep the fires burning, to say nothing of typical UNC fans walking around the malls. Arrrggghhh.

Bostondevil
05-09-2007, 01:52 PM
9F, 9F, 9F, 9F, 9F, 9F ad nauseum

throatybeard
05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Well JS, I was already losing the energy before I left the 919 for the 662. I'm not saying I don't feel battered and bruised by them, but I just can't summon the psychological resources for the rivalry BS anymore. Yeah, I root against them in the privacy of my own home, but my general policy is to change the subject when I run afoul of aggressive Carolina folks who want to joust.

I just can't understand how grown adults can still feel like they're accomplishing something by hating another school. Especially in the off season. :confused: Life is too freaking short as it is.

ScreechTDX
05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Well JS, I was already losing the energy before I left the 919 for the 662. I'm not saying I don't feel battered and bruised by them, but I just can't summon the psychological resources for the rivalry BS anymore. Yeah, I root against them in the privacy of my own home, but my general policy is to change the subject when I run afoul of aggressive Carolina folks who want to joust.

I just can't understand how grown adults can still feel like they're accomplishing something by hating another school. Especially in the off season. :confused: Life is too freaking short as it is.

I would call retaliation against UNC fans more "instinct" than a conscious process.

And, of course we don't accomplish anything. Thats not the point.:cool:

EarlJam
05-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Here are 5 things I like better than UNC...

1. A sharp hatchet slicing into my scrotal region
2. Sulfuric acid on my lower gums
3. Swallowing flatulence from David Hasselhoff
4. Screech owls mating in my hair for 17 straight hours
5. The Anti-Christ

devildownunder
05-09-2007, 06:17 PM

*Raises hand*

You've gone soft, throaty.

It's a shame. :(

Carter431
05-09-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't hate Carolina, I hate their fans. Ol' Roy gets on my nerves and their players are irritating but I don't hate them. I hate their rude, obnoxious fans.

ScreechTDX
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM

1. A sharp hatchet slicing into my scrotal region
2. Sulfuric acid on my lower gums
3. Swallowing flatulence from David Hasselhoff
4. Screech owls mating in my hair for 17 straight hours
5. The Anti-Christ

This looks like fun.

1. Cancer
2. Anal Rape
3. G.W. Bush's 3rd Term
4. STD's
5. Lists about Things I Like Better than UNC

CameronBlue
05-09-2007, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Latta6970;19931]

Obviously unlike yourself I am just a life long fan and didn't have the means to attend Duke.

Neither did I which is why I was in debt up to my eyeballs for many years following graduation.

[QUOTE=Latta6970;19931]

A Duke grad would never use the term "shanked in the shower".

I don't know too many UNC and State grads who use the term either or maybe I'm just not hanging with the right crowd.

[QUOTE=Latta6970;19931]

Which raises an interesting question ...

Sure does, what in God's name are you talking about??

[QUOTE=Latta6970;19931]
Are graduates considered bigger or better fans than those who never attended Duke?

Are you looking for an objective measure? My subjective opinion is, nuh uh.

Uncle Drew
05-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Neither did I which is why I was in debt up to my eyeballs for many years following graduation.

Well graduating is an accomplishment to be proud of from any school but particularly Duke. But I have to ask you and anyone else with an opinion. Is it worth the insane ammount of cash every year and possibly going into debt to graduate from Duke?

A Duke grad would never use the term "shanked in the shower".
I don't know too many UNC and State grads who use the term either or maybe I'm just not hanging with the right crowd.

Two words Chris Washburn. Oh wait you said grads, never mind.

YmoBeThere
05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
"Are graduates considered bigger or better fans than those who never attended Duke? "

I don't think there is an objective measure on what is a better fan so to answer that question in a single word, no. The distinction between being a grad fan versus a non-grad fan is that grads will likely have shared some common experiences that others will not have such as tenting for the more recent grads, will know what Card gym was like in the old days(for not so recent grads) and in general will know about things from a student perspective. This doesn't make them any bigger fans or better fans, in fact I have friends from undergrad who are generally indifferent to basketball.

What unites most of us here on these boards is a like for some and a love for others of 12-15 men and 12-15 women who suit up and go on the basketball court with a Duke name on the uniform each year. And of course, the coaches and others that support those efforts. For some of us, those feelings extend to the young men and women who compete for the university in the many other athletic endeavors available to them as well as academic endeavors for that matter.

So, while I take some pleasure at every UNC loss, as I have aged more of my energy is focused on being a good fan for Duke, not spending it on hating some other school.

YmoBeThere
05-10-2007, 07:55 AM
"Is it worth the insane amount of cash every year and possibly going into debt to graduate from Duke?"

Entirely an individual decision, I was fortunate and found scholarship money to pay most of the bill. There are many campus initiatives to raise money to allow greater access to the University. I am sure they will accept donations from grads as well as non-grads.

ScreechTDX
05-10-2007, 09:06 AM
"Is it worth the insane amount of cash every year and possibly going into debt to graduate from Duke?"

Entirely an individual decision, I was fortunate and found scholarship money to pay most of the bill. There are many campus initiatives to raise money to allow greater access to the University. I am sure they will accept donations from grads as well as non-grads.

...hmmm...

This post says nothing about how much UNC sucks.;)

cspan37421
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
"Lack of UNC hate" Didn't even K say he was rooting for UNC against Arizona last year? Guess he doesn't meet the requisite standard of hatred here, so maybe someone should start a thread on who should succeed him.

Was it not a friend and ex-Carolina player (Felton?) who worked out with (our) Jason Williams when he was trying to come back from his motorcycle accident? Point is, these players come out of high school more or less as free agents. Like Patterson, they're evaluating offers of where to go to school, with the point of making a career in professional basketball. Some guys could have just as easily been Tar Heels, Blue Devils, or whatever. Of course, once they're at a school, they identify themselves as such. But later, in their NBA or pro career, they take a broader view and their friends from other schools are still their friends, the jerks are still the jerks, etc.

Some of us realize that we could have gone to a different school and still become pretty much the person we are today. Some details and experiences would differ, of course, and our rooting interests would differ. But hatred? Good luck getting along with your coworkers. And if "they started it", so what, just because some folks act like immature I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es doesn't mean that you should too. You can still "stay classy, San Diego."

UNC-CH was my second choice; Wake Forest my 3rd. I could have gone to either. I'm proud of having gone to Duke and getting a great education there. But Duke does not have a monopoly on classy players, good professors, pretty campuses, or team spirit. I have a wonderful wife from Wake Forest and have several good friends through her who are Deacs. My first boss was a Tar Heel grad who was an early mentor to me in my career.

I didn't mind the "Carolina Players I Have Liked" thread [but the "Welcome back NC State, we've missed you" stuff was awfully syrupy - we all have our limits, I guess]. Good natured rivalry and creative harassment (anyone remember that article?) is one thing. Blind hatred toward a school or their students/graduates is not an admirable quality in anyone and puts you on the same level as the "F-you JJ" guys. Have fun in the gutter.

_______
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. -- George Bernard Shaw

Bostondevil
05-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I can be quite cordial to opposing team fans, even ones from UNC. I do view them as unfortunately misguided but I can get along with them. In fact, I have been told by Maryland and NC State fans that one of the big problems with me is that I take all the fun out of taunting. My typical tactic after a loss, at work, is to show up in their office and say "Do your worst!"

But still, I'm like Battier, once the ball is tipped, nothing else matters and the other team is the enemy. Especially Carolina, cause I can't root for them, ever. Other ACC schools, I tend to root for against non conference opponents, but not UNC, never, ever, ever.

And truth be told, back in my single days, the only deal breaker for me, I could not date a Heels fan.

ScreechTDX
05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
"Lack of UNC hate" Didn't even K say he was rooting for UNC against Arizona last year? Guess he doesn't meet the requisite standard of hatred here, so maybe someone should start a thread on who should succeed him.

Was it not a friend and ex-Carolina player (Felton?) who worked out with (our) Jason Williams when he was trying to come back from his motorcycle accident? Point is, these players come out of high school more or less as free agents. Like Patterson, they're evaluating offers of where to go to school, with the point of making a career in professional basketball. Some guys could have just as easily been Tar Heels, Blue Devils, or whatever. Of course, once they're at a school, they identify themselves as such. But later, in their NBA or pro career, they take a broader view and their friends from other schools are still their friends, the jerks are still the jerks, etc.

Some of us realize that we could have gone to a different school and still become pretty much the person we are today. Some details and experiences would differ, of course, and our rooting interests would differ. But hatred? Good luck getting along with your coworkers. And if "they started it", so what, just because some folks act like immature I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es doesn't mean that you should too. You can still "stay classy, San Diego."

UNC-CH was my second choice; Wake Forest my 3rd. I could have gone to either. I'm proud of having gone to Duke and getting a great education there. But Duke does not have a monopoly on classy players, good professors, pretty campuses, or team spirit. I have a wonderful wife from Wake Forest and have several good friends through her who are Deacs. My first boss was a Tar Heel grad who was an early mentor to me in my career.

I didn't mind the "Carolina Players I Have Liked" thread [but the "Welcome back NC State, we've missed you" stuff was awfully syrupy - we all have our limits, I guess]. Good natured rivalry and creative harassment (anyone remember that article?) is one thing. Blind hatred toward a school or their students/graduates is not an admirable quality in anyone and puts you on the same level as the "F-you JJ" guys. Have fun in the gutter.

_______
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. -- George Bernard Shaw

Your missing the point or looking too deeply into it.

Also, you don't live in NC anymore and are 35+, correct?

EarlJam
05-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Like me, I don't think the original poster really HATES Carolina or its players. I agree with Screech that you are looking to deeply into it. He/She was just having a little fun. I mean, I say I hate brussel sprouts all the time, but I don't really hate them in the sense of I wish bad things would happen to them - such as extinction. I hate American Idol, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't help anyone associated with the show in time of need.

Red Sox fans hate the Yankees, but that doesn't mean....well, nevermind.

You get my point (I hope). No one on this board, again, I hope, truely hates anybody at UNC. It's just the term often used in rivalries and when describing foods you dislike.

-EarlJam

RelativeWays
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm going to have to echo the sentiments of Throatybeard and Cspan. As I've grown older, my hatred of UNC has been tempered quite a bit. Tolling the other team seems to have lost its luster once I left high school, and suprisingly I've had good relationships with Carolina fans at work, school and now my extended family. Sure we would tease each other and mock our teams it was always in good fun, a mutual though begrudging respect would alway be the foundation I would maintain with UNC fans, and they would return in kind. I'm married to a UNC fan, and she somehow thinks that I'm obligated to route for UNC whenever they aren't playing Duke (I don't recall that being in the marriage vows). I'll play nice, but sometimes its hard to hide the contempt, I had to leave the room at the end of the UNC/Georgetown game to hide the big smile on my face.

I know the term "hate" is often used in a sort of hyperbole when it comes to sports, but I've been careful to refrain from using the word so casually. There are a lot of scary things wrought out of geniune hatred that I don't really want to be associated with that mindset. I'm also not going to let some emotional affiliation to one team or another dictate my behavior in some ridiculous manner. I think the main reason I don't hate UNC is because I honestly enjoy the rivalry, I think the two schools have done more to make each other better than they'll ever care to admit.

Lastly, genuine hatred for a sports team results in often backward and retarded behavior. If you want to see the ugly side of a bad rivalry, see Alabama/Auburn fans. Thats a pure hatred there.

throatybeard
05-10-2007, 11:35 AM
What RelWays said.

Bama/Auburn, now there's some crazy stuff. MSU/Ole Miss is a bit that way too. A lot of the people associated with these schools don't seem to understand that they're part of one system and need to be helping to build each other up. It's not like we're Pennsylvania and we've got resources oozing out our pores. But some of the stupid crap that goes in in the Board and the Legislature in MS reflects a lack of understanding of that. And it mostly stems from performing the sports rivalries in real life.

My friend who teaches here but grew up in Northport, AL and went to Bama, and later UTK (and took amazing amounts of crap for it), says the problem down here is that the rural South is essentially tribal, and the values associated therewith are at odds with those of the University. (I would argue that the Deep South is simply an extreme version of America, rather than something unique within America). Either you're in our tribe or you're evil. Well, what if I want to be a dentist when I grow up? The other guys have the school for that.

A lot of people simply haven't internalized the fact that institutions of Higher Ed are beholden to cooperate with each other and that the people who keep them running have to go to 2 and 3 and sometimes 4 schools. There are six Carolina grads in English & Foreign Languages here at MSU, seven if you count my wife's MAT. I've got several choices. Acting like an overheated undergrad towards them isn't one that makes my life easier.

The internet makes it a lot easier for people to augment their hatred (real or hyperbolic) for the other schools. There just aren't as many consequences of acting uncivil when you're on the internet. I suspect a lot of folks in this thread who are arguing the "we need to hate them more" position aren't nearly as brave in real life as they are at home in front of a computer.

ScreechTDX
05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
The internet makes it a lot easier for people to augment their hatred (real or hyperbolic) for the other schools. There just aren't as many consequences of acting uncivil when you're on the internet. I suspect a lot of folks in this thread who are arguing the "we need to hate them more" position aren't nearly as brave in real life as they are at home in front of a computer.

I haven't ever gotten http://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.comhttp://www.dukebasketballreport.com from a UNC fan that wasn't returned in kind. That being said I have never started an argument/conversation with a UNC fan on the basis of sports.

I learned a long time ago it is pretty much impossible to be rationale with MOST UNC fans. Now I just don't bring it up unless I am dragged into it.

Lord Ash
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
If I may; I will never, ever, EVER ever ever ever EVER root for Carolina. EVER. The best part of last season was Carolina losing to Georgetown in that spectacular meltdown. And Maryland? Yuck. They are just trash, so I'll never root for them either.

Indoor66
05-10-2007, 01:12 PM
If I may; I will never, ever, EVER ever ever ever EVER root for Carolina. EVER. The best part of last season was Carolina losing to Georgetown in that spectacular meltdown. And Maryland? Yuck. They are just trash, so I'll never root for them either.

But you don't say "hate"!

EarlJam
05-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I do NOT hate Carolina, I simply root for them to fail at everything they do and I celebrate with uninhibited fanfair and limitless joy when they suffer in any way. Unyieldingly, I pray and root for their permanent demise.

But I do not hate them.

-EarlJam

cspan37421
05-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Your missing the point or looking too deeply into it.

Also, you don't live in NC anymore and are 35+, correct?

No, I'm not missing the point. I'm making one of my own about the topic - just like you and everyone else.

And your powers of perception - noticing a zip code and a reference to an WSJ column c. 1985 - are sharp indeed. You could go into palm reading! But as for those two factoids - so what?

captmojo
05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
It's what the fans do that makes you hate'em. When I was a kid, if Duke lost, it would not take more than 30 seconds for the phone to ring and a hole fan on the other end to be laughing about it. Any attempts to turn it around when they lost resulted in that guy not to be found, and I don't mean just that day either. If you did happenstance make contact and mentioned their loss the reply would go thus--"Oh, did we play today?".

By the way, my phone still rings like that now. There's no end to this crap from their end. We just have to rise above it to stay better than they are. It's so hard to feel sorry for any of their pains but they do bring it on themselves.

The hatred thing really makes them appear small when it isn't thrown back at them.

ScreechTDX
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
No, I'm not missing the point. I'm making one of my own about the topic - just like you and everyone else.

And your powers of perception - noticing a zip code and a reference to an WSJ column c. 1985 - are sharp indeed. You could go into palm reading! But as for those two factoids - so what?

Acutally I didn't see a zip code or past reference. But whatever.

It's fun to hate those who hate you, imo.:D I certainly won't take a Ghandi approach to UNC fans. I get a little, I'm going to give a little. You can mash all the fans/players/coaches of UNC into the rivalry and I don't like any of them. Does that mean i would'nt help a UNC fan if I saw him dying on the side of the road...maybe (just kidding, I would).

Lets not reduce this thread to defining "hate."

ScreechTDX
05-10-2007, 01:51 PM
It's what the fans do that makes you hate'em. When I was a kid, if Duke lost, it would not take more than 30 seconds for the phone to ring and a hole fan on the other end to be laughing about it. Any attempts to turn it around when they lost resulted in that guy not to be found, and I don't mean just that day either. If you did happenstance make contact and mentioned their loss the reply would go thus--"Oh, did we play today?".

By the way, my phone still rings like that now. There's no end to this crap from their end. We just have to rise above it to stay better than they are. It's so hard to feel sorry for any of their pains but they do bring it on themselves.

The hatred thing really makes them appear small when it isn't thrown back at them.

I agree with almost of all of this.

dukestheheat
05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
ok screech,

i don't 'hate' unc.

i do, however, greatly dislike them. i have a certain disdain for them. in many ways, i detest them. And, 'Carolina Delenda Est' has become my mantra, but indeed I don't hate them.

now, I really really do not like King Rice, and have a great amount of disdain for 'the king' ever since he ran right past me after i was shuffling out of cameron and the holes had whacked us by 'upper double digits' and he goes 'haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!' as he was trotting over to do an espn interview.

i detest king rice.

i don't however 'hate' him.

dth.

YmoBeThere
05-10-2007, 07:40 PM
...hmmm...

This post says nothing about how much UNC sucks.;)

:) Point taken!

ScreechTDX
05-10-2007, 08:33 PM
:) Point taken!

This one doesn't either.;)

SilkyJ
05-11-2007, 11:11 AM
if you can't go to college go to sate
if you can't go to state go to jail
if you can't go to jail go to hell
GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL (EAT S***)

EarlJam
05-11-2007, 12:38 PM
ok screech,

i detest king rice.

i don't however 'hate' him.

dth.

I hate King Rice.

-EarlJam

MrBisonDevil
05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I respect UNC and the fans because our rivalry is exactly the way it should be. Overall I would call it a "Good Rivalry"... and sometimes a "Classy Rivalry" (if you subtract the few UNC Knuckleheads).

On the other hand: I do not respect UMD fans. I think I'm much closer to hate w/ UMD than with UNC. :mad: It's the knucklehead factor: UMD Knuckleheads > UNC Knuckleheads. (Bottles tossed at Boozer's mom + JJ T-shirts + Vitriol chants + Anarchic styled riots and mayhem = Little respect of UMD Fans).

It's hard for me to hate UNC b/c I've met a lot of classy UNC students + alumni. UMD... well that's a different story.

wilko
05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Hate UNC......

Well of course I hate hate hate them!?!

Some folks have decided to distain, dislike, or just generally not impressed by them. If there were a word stronger than hate, I'd use that 3 x's to.

As a "ute" (think Cousn Vinny not the Mormons) I cant tell you how many times I wished for Coach Smith or whatever GOOD game changing player they had at the time to experience severe chest pains, get flamingo knee'd, have a car accident... whatever. I dont watch UNC game for them to win... I watch to see them lose!! and I've seen them win far far too often.

Im not one to to help up a tarheel when hes down... Im one to keep kicking his head till it flies off this shoulders.

I know what you are prolly thinking.... "that wilko dude needs help"

But its actually very theraputic. someone cuts me off in traffic... I dont need to extend my finger use bad language and set a bad example for my 2 young sons.. I can surpress my rage and hate on a heel..

I have to watch Duke / UNC games alone.

YmoBeThere
05-11-2007, 06:19 PM
This one doesn't either.;)

my true thoughts will come out. Yes, during my senior year as UNC was playing Michigan for the title, I hoped and begged for a stray nuke to hit the Super Dome and rid the world of the dual scourges that had infested the title game. Any coincident loss of life, while tragic, could be tolerated in the name of the greater good. ;)

Wow, no comments in 24 hours, I think I pretty much ended this conversation...

Uncle Drew
05-13-2007, 10:34 AM
my true thoughts will come out. Yes, during my senior year as UNC was playing Michigan for the title, I hoped and begged for a stray nuke to hit the Super Dome and rid the world of the dual scourges that had infested the title game. Any coincident loss of life, while tragic, could be tolerated in the name of the greater good.

Wow, no comments in 24 hours, I think I pretty much ended this conversation...

Dude, how you didn't get banned for expressing your opinion I don't know, but more power to you brother. I assure you similar thoughts were running through my mind in 93 and even worse in 05. To use a Star Wars annalogy (and sound like a total geek) Duke is Luke Skywalker, Han Solo & Chewbacca the good side of the force. While UNC is the dark side and the evil empire. Dean Smith IS Darth Vader! LOL!