PDA

View Full Version : Snow

OZZIE4DUKE
01-29-2010, 04:10 PM
It started snowing in Foscoe (10 miles west of Boone) at 3:15pm. 45 minutes later there is about 1/4" on the railing. It started sticking immediately. This is going to be a big one... :eek:

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 04:16 PM
It started snowing in Foscoe (10 miles west of Boone) at 3:15pm. 45 minutes later there is about 1/4" on the railing. It started sticking immediately. This is going to be a big one... :eek:
Hope you and the loved ones stay warm and safe.

cspan37421
01-29-2010, 06:09 PM
the bad: 3-7" of sleet expected to accumulate here in Chattavegas. The good: dad and stepmom very slowly making their way through the sleet to celebrate my kids' birthdays.

DukeUsul
01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
The snow downpour has just started in Durham. I left to walk the dogs and it had just started, nothing covering the ground. I walk ten houses down, then back, and by the time I get home there's enough snow on the ground such that I can't see the mulch through it in the yard.

PSurprise
01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
They're expecting possibly more than 14" in Asheville. Looks like it'll be a quiet weekend

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Good Luck, Don't try to dig your car out until the morning.

moonpie23
01-29-2010, 09:35 PM
already here in cary....came down hard at first....now it's about stopped..

Tappan Zee Devil
01-29-2010, 09:39 PM
They're expecting possibly more than 14" in Asheville. Looks like it'll be a quiet weekend

Hey - I grew up in upstate New York (well north of Albany) back when there were real winters (1950s and 60s). I can remember having to walk a half mile (uphill both ways) to catch the school bus carrying both my book bag and a tenor saxophone through 20 inches of snow and below zero temperatures. Snow was no reason to cancel school. you young'uns have no idea of what a real winter is!

Seriously though, stay warm and stay safe.

Jim
T '70

-bdbd
01-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey - I grew up in upstate New York (well north of Albany) back when there were real winters (1950s and 60s). I can remember having to walk a half mile (uphill both ways) to catch the school bus carrying both my book bag and a tenor saxophone through 20 inches of snow and below zero temperatures. Snow was no reason to cancel school. you young'uns have no idea of what a real winter is!

Jim
T '70

Tappan Zee: Ha! Cute!
Though I am a native southerner, b/c of work we lived for a few years in Rochester. I'll never forget our first weekend in our new home there..... over a 3-day weekend in snowed 42 - THAT'S FORTY-TWO - inches. You could open the front door and see no sunlight coming through, just an imprint of the door's molding on the wall of snow blocking it.... :eek: My immediate thought was "what the HELL have I gotten us into?!?" BTW, Ra-cha-cha is a very, very nice town but boy does that 9 month winter suck!

As an aside, the forecast in DC right now is for 2-4" of snow Saturday, starting in the late-morning. 'always a good omen for the Devils! (I think I'll "brave" thopse elements to be there an root on the good-guys!)

Stay inside and stay safe, warm Ozzie and my other NC-based bretheren. It should only take NC DOT about a week to get that snowplow to you!

:p

Indoor66
01-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Hillsboro, FL, 8:30 am

TempL 73
High expected of 83
Sunny with occasional clouds.

Have a great day! :o

budwom
01-30-2010, 08:35 AM
10 below zero this morning, dogs enjoyed their morning walk.

alteran
01-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Doesn't oxygen liquefy at minus 10? :)

It 24 in Durham this morning, that's bone-chillin' weather here. It's looking like four, maybe five inches. If it hits six that's officially the apocalypse.

budwom
01-30-2010, 09:24 AM
When there's no wind, a nice walk in sunny, below zero temperatures can be really nice, as long as you have the right clothing. The sky is incredibly clear, thanks to that cold Canuck air. Five below now, the hounds and I are ready to trek around five miles or so...they do it naked, that's how rugged they are.

allenmurray
01-30-2010, 10:06 AM
When there's no wind, a nice walk in sunny, below zero temperatures can be really nice, as long as you have the right clothing. The sky is incredibly clear, thanks to that cold Canuck air. Five below now, the hounds and I are ready to trek around five miles or so...they do it naked, that's how rugged they are.

Just like Ozzie. :D :eek: ;)

devildeac
01-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Jim
T '70

I did not have the luxury of riding the school bus and I had to walk farther than you did. Barefoot. However, I did not have to tote a sax. Maybe we'll call it a draw.;):rolleyes:

devildeac
01-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Hillsboro, FL, 8:30 am

TempL 73
High expected of 83
Sunny with occasional clouds.

Have a great day! :o

I'd have an honest reply but I'd like to keep my posting privileges here...
:p

devildeac
01-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Sounds like dog-sicles to me...;)

devildeac
01-30-2010, 11:03 AM

TMI
:o

devildeac
01-30-2010, 11:05 AM

And if you were a true outdoorsman, you'd accompany them with just a t-shirt and some running shorts...;)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-30-2010, 11:13 AM

LOL! Yep, I resemble that remark! But admittedly, it was about 30 ABOVE 0 when I did it. When I read this to my wife, after she stopped laughing, she said I wasn't naked, I wore socks and sneakers...

YmoBeThere
01-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Nothing here in SW Ohio, but very chilly. Which is a good excuse for me to finish up my taxes.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Here are morning pics from Foscoe, west of Boone, NC

Reddevil
01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Well, I got up this morning at 6:20 as usual to feed and let out the dogs, and we had about an inch. By 8:30 we had 3 inches, and now we have about 7. I hate doing things like raking leaves an shoveling snow twice, so I'll wait a few more hours to clean off the cars and clear the driveway. It's pretty, and it's been a while since we had a Winter like this, but man - including last March, this is three big ones (for the South) within a year. Oh well, I'll fire up the car and have a little fun in the empty church parking lot down the street. I may be a grown man, but I'm still a child at heart. On second thought, it's about 18 degrees outside tops....so maybe I'll just make some soup instead.:o

Olympic Fan
01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I live about five miles from the Duke campus ... let me give you an update as of just about noon.

The snow started just after sundown and changed to sleet sometime in the early morning hours. From the look of the snow on my car, we got around six inches of snow before the sleet arrived. It's sleeting steadily as I type this.

The forecasters suggest that it's going to turn back to snow later today and gradually fizzle out sometime this evening. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the roads up and functioning again -- right now absolutely NOTHING is moving in my residential area.

We may get some sun tomorrow, but the temperature (mid 20s right now, into the teens tonight) is projected to top out at 33 Sunday, then drop into the low 20s Sunday night -- so Monday morning's commute is likely to be a nightmare. Now sure what a snow/sleet/snow sandwich will do to the roads.

Monday is projected as sunny with a high in the mid-40s, so we ought to come out of it later that day, but it now looks like the Raleigh-Durham area will be in snowlock at least through Monday morning.

PS The Duke-Georgetown tipoff is an hour away ... like anybody who lived through the Bill Foster era, I look at snowy weather as a good omen for the Blue Devils.

DukeUsul
01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm amazed at how few people were out shoveling on our street here in Durham. Shoveling once CAN be better than shoveling twice, but I tell you I do not want to have to shovel an inch of slush, covered by 4 inches of snow covered by a frozen layer of sleet. I got the snow cleared before the sleet started coming down too hard, then put the ice melt down. Hopefully once this all stops I can clear what's left without too much exertion.

Reddevil
01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow, I did end up shoveling twice. When it got to 8 inches early this afternoon I figured it was about to taper off. I just got back in from my second go 'round after a total of 14". Yeah, it's powdery, but it sure felt heavy the second time. I'm just going to pretend I did not witness what happened between 1pm - 3pm for now.

Faustus
01-30-2010, 06:29 PM
About 8 inches for me in Charlottesville and yes, even though all light powdery snow here (we got at least 12 straight hours of it), I realize it won't stay that way so I dug out while it was still fluffy when the stuff finally stopped, around five p.m., under streetlights even. Took an hour, but it's done. Had a fair amount of frustration built up (can't imagine why) and I feel much, much better now. Now if a city snowplow would ever show up, I could actually go somewhere.

BD80
01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
LOL! Yep, I resemble that remark! But admittedly, it was about 30 ABOVE 0 when I did it. When I read this to my wife, after she stopped laughing, she said I wasn't naked, I wore socks and sneakers...

How many socks?

Faustus
01-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Add another couple of inches here, and another 5-6 hours of snowing. I don't know if it will ever stop...

OZZIE4DUKE
01-31-2010, 09:23 AM
How many socks?
Two. One on each foot. Nowhere else!

cspan37421
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM

Jim
T '70

I know your comments were tongue in cheek, but it is the case that in the south few resources are budgeted for dealing with snow when it occasionally does show up. Moreover, many simply don't know how to drive in it (or know what car to drive, and what to leave at home).

I lived in MI, upstate NY, and New England for much of my upbringing and adulthood - so I do know a bit about snow. :) I'm with you on snow days - seldom was there any such thing, really, in my recollection. But the reason for that was in MI they plowed and salted the heck out of the roads.

devil84
01-31-2010, 08:54 PM
I lived in MI, upstate NY, and New England for much of my upbringing and adulthood - so I do know a bit about snow. :) I'm with you on snow days - seldom was there any such thing, really, in my recollection. But the reason for that was in MI they plowed and salted the heck out of the roads.

I lived in Chicago for the first 14 years of my life. I've got pictures of me as a toddler with snow wall from the shoveled walkway as tall as I was. I played hockey with my brothers on a rink my parents froze in the back yard. We were able to skate on it during most winter months. I walked to school almost a mile (no hills) with my violin from 4th grade on, and never, ever had a snow day, regardless of the amount of snow.

Then we moved to Durham for my 9th grade year. I can remember sitting in school, seeing a few flakes of snow wafting down outside of the window. Then I heard the intercom announcing the cancellation of school. What the...??? What wussies! Close school for three flakes of snow? This place is just...HEAVEN!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Sure, you northerners can have your snow (rarely ice like we tend to get down here) and all your snow removal equipment and terrific snow driving skills. We southerners will take our annual couple of mental health days, stay home, and enjoy the few inches of snow that hardly ever even need to be shoveled, since they'll melt on their own usually in 48 hours. :)

allenmurray
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Sure, you northerners can have your snow (rarely ice like we tend to get down here) and all your snow removal equipment and terrific snow driving skills. We southerners will take our annual couple of mental health days, stay home, and enjoy the few inches of snow that hardly ever even need to be shoveled, since they'll melt on their own usually in 48 hours. :)

My feelings exactly. In the south we know how to handle snow - we sit by the fire, read, drink hot chocolate with the kids, and goof off. Folks who are proud of ther ability to go to work/school need to learn to relax. It will melt, and life will go back to normal. Snow is the universe's way of saying, :slow down and have some fun".

OZZIE4DUKE
01-31-2010, 10:56 PM
My feelings exactly. In the south we know how to handle snow - we sit by the fire, read, drink hot chocolate with the kids, and goof off. Folks who are proud of ther ability to go to work/school need to learn to relax. It will melt, and life will go back to normal. Snow is the universe's way of saying, :slow down and have some fun".
But in places like Buffalo and Green Bay, it will melt in late May... :D

Tappan Zee Devil
02-01-2010, 07:09 AM
I know your comments were tongue in cheek, but it is the case that in the south few resources are budgeted for dealing with snow when it occasionally does show up. Moreover, many simply don't know how to drive in it (or know what car to drive, and what to leave at home).

I lived in MI, upstate NY, and New England for much of my upbringing and adulthood - so I do know a bit about snow. :) I'm with you on snow days - seldom was there any such thing, really, in my recollection. But the reason for that was in MI they plowed and salted the heck out of the roads..

You are absolutely right. Experience (by both drivers and the highway dept.), along with proper equipment and supplies is very important. Also it is not just the south that is unprepared. Even here in the lower Hudson Valley, where there is a lot less snow (and more ice) than we got upstate, people have more problems dealing with it. Ice is much nastier than snow.

I actually did tromp a half mile (with my sax) out to the (well plowed and salted) main road to catch the bus, but that is what you did - snow was simply something that was going to happen.

stay warm and safe.
Jim