PDA

View Full Version : Projecting the Field

NYDukie
01-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I was just looking through some sites tourney projections, SI, Foxsports, etc. and noticed that YahooSports who partners with Rivals has Duke as #2 in the West bracket with guess who as the #7 as a possible 2nd Round matchup? You got it, UNC! Now I'm no "Joe Lunardi" but there is NOOOOOO way the committee would matchup both Duke and UNC directly next to one another as possible 2nd Round matchup. I know the committee states they don't take into consideration certain storylines when lining teams up, which I think is a bunch of crock, but even they wouldn't dare do this. Besides, don't they have some rule or unwritten rule in which they don't want to match up teams from the same conference in opening round (OBVIOUS) or the 2nd Round (MAYBE NOT SO OBVIOUS). After that, it's fair game as you have conferences with 5 or more bids at times. If I remember correctly, I think Duke and UNC were in the same region but on opposite sides of the bracket in 2004.

94duke
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
I was just looking through some sites tourney projections, SI, Foxsports, etc. and noticed that YahooSports who partners with Rivals has Duke as #2 in the West bracket with guess who as the #7 as a possible 2nd Round matchup? You got it, UNC! Now I'm no "Joe Lunardi" but there is NOOOOOO way the committee would matchup both Duke and UNC directly next to one another as possible 2nd Round matchup. I know the committee states they don't take into consideration certain storylines when lining teams up, which I think is a bunch of crock, but even they wouldn't dare do this. Besides, don't they have some rule or unwritten rule in which they don't want to match up teams from the same conference in opening round (OBVIOUS) or the 2nd Round (MAYBE NOT SO OBVIOUS). After that, it's fair game as you have conferences with 5 or more bids at times. If I remember correctly, I think Duke and UNC were in the same region but on opposite sides of the bracket in 2004.

I'm pretty sure it's a "rule" (soft rule?) that you cannot meet a conference foe before the regional finals. They would have to move UNC to a different region or "massage" their seed (to maybe an 8) so that we would not meet before the regional finals.

hurleyfor3
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I try not to worry about what some guy on the internet thinks the brackets will look like in January.

Duke of Nashville
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
If.....they make the tourny.

SCMatt33
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a "rule" (soft rule?) that you cannot meet a conference foe before the regional finals. They would have to move UNC to a different region or "massage" their seed (to maybe an 8) so that we would not meet before the regional finals.

The rule depends on how many teams the ACC gets. If there are less than 7, no one can meet until the elite 8. If it's 7 or more, the teams can meet as early as the second round, but the committee is supposed to attempt to avoid it as much as possible.

tbyers11
01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
No team from one conference can be in the same half of a region as any other team from the same conference. Duke and UNC could not be the #2 and #7 seeds in the same region. The only exception is if there are more than 8 teams from one conference in the tourney.

davekay1971
01-29-2010, 10:54 AM
At this point in the season a few things are absolutely lock-solid certain about the field:

1) There will be 65 teams in it
2) Two small-conference champions will get hosed by being stuck in the play-in game
3) There will be one winner
4) Trying to project who's going to be seeded where and in which region in the field is nothing more than a fun parlour game

Take it to the bank, my friends...

superdave
01-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd also add to the locks that if UNC is on the bubble, they get in.

The NCAA cares more than anything about making money, right? Otherwise they'd split the pot among the student-athletes.

NYDukie
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I try not to worry about what some guy on the internet thinks the brackets will look like in January.

I hear ya but I found it very amusing, odd or however you would like to put it that Duke and UNC were seeded as such.

And given how they like to seed the top 4 lines of each region based on a 1-16 basis using the RPI's I believe, I like to check it out as to get an idea of who the top 4 seeds in Duke's region will be. I'm a tourney geek, guilty as charged...LOL

ElonIsRising
01-29-2010, 11:40 AM
even if duke couldn't meet unc in the second round, it got me thinking of having unc as a second round opponent. if i was a 2 seed and saw them looming it would strike fear in my heart. partially because of the name on the front of the jersey i am sure, but also partially because they have so much talent. i just wouldn't want to be put up against them in an early round situation.

that being said, i have a feeling they will make a run at some point, putting enough of a winning streak together to make them a 5 or 6 seed. hope i am wrong though..

airowe
01-29-2010, 02:00 PM
The only tourney Duke and the pUNCs could be facing each other in the 2nd round is the ACC.

CDu
01-29-2010, 02:36 PM
even if duke couldn't meet unc in the second round, it got me thinking of having unc as a second round opponent. if i was a 2 seed and saw them looming it would strike fear in my heart. partially because of the name on the front of the jersey i am sure, but also partially because they have so much talent. i just wouldn't want to be put up against them in an early round situation.

that being said, i have a feeling they will make a run at some point, putting enough of a winning streak together to make them a 5 or 6 seed. hope i am wrong though..

UNC is an interesting team heading down the stretch. If their guard play improves (it remains to be seen if the State game was evidence of improvement or just a fluke), they're really dangerous. However, their schedule down the stretch is pretty tough:

Duke (2 games)
@GT
@Wake
@Maryland
vs FSU
@VT

Those are seven tough games remaining. They'll need to win two of those and hold serve against UVa, State, Miami, and @BC.

But even if they play better, I can see them losing at least three or four more games. That will put them at 9-7 in conference and 20-11 overall, which would put them firmly in 6-8 seed range.

weezie
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Swell, a springtime trek to Indianapolis via Sacramento! A couple of garden spots for sure.
I'd be delighted to make the journey.:)

NYDukie
01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
UNC is an interesting team heading down the stretch. If their guard play improves (it remains to be seen if the State game was evidence of improvement or just a fluke), they're really dangerous. However, their schedule down the stretch is pretty tough:

Duke (2 games)
@GT
@Wake
@Maryland
vs FSU
@VT

Those are seven tough games remaining. They'll need to win two of those and hold serve against UVa, State, Miami, and @BC.

But even if they play better, I can see them losing at least three or four more games. That will put them at 9-7 in conference and 20-11 overall, which would put them firmly in 6-8 seed range.

So of those "tough games" they have 5 road games out of those 7 games, of which the two home games are against Duke and FSU with FSU having the frontline to match UNC's. Very interesting. I see UNC improving and I don't count them out at all...that's the amount of respect I have for Roy and the program to some poster's dismay but they could as easily go 2-5 as they could go 5-2 given their inconsistent play during those "tough games". And given their inconsistent play, I could see a hiccup among Miami, State, UVA or BC. They have talent but it is talent that is taking or has taken more time than expected getting used to being starters and use to the main stage with freshmen playing major roles who aren't quite ready to yet and guys stepping into the starting lineup after being supporting cast members the past years. Somewhat similar to Duke's 2007 year after JJ and Sheldon. Would like to hear Wheat's view is on this as he is one of the more reasonable UNC posters that come on here.

shoutingncu
01-29-2010, 04:13 PM
At this point in the season a few things are absolutely lock-solid certain about the field...

...There will be one winner

Unless it's vacated ;).