PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Georgetown Pre-Game Thread

sagegrouse
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Maybe you are thinking what I am -- "Just what we need. A tough inter-conference game in the middle of a brutal ACC schedule."

This is always an interesting match-up, and I hope some of my neighbors in DC get to see the game. I understand the G'town ticket office has been most uncooperative with Duke groups and fans.

Two questions seem foremost:

1. How well does our "center by committee" cope with the mobile and skilled Greg Monroe?

2. Can Duke wear down Georgetown like Syracuse did Monday night? Georgetown has an even shorter bench than Duke.

sagegrouse

gumbomoop
01-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Perhaps this point would be more appropriate in the "Minutes/Bench/Fatigue" thread, but did you folks catch K's intriguing comment in the post-FSU quotes: "It's [G'town game] a good game for our young guys to step forward and have an opportunity to be more of a part of the actual win and not just the preparation of a win."

I assume [maybe.....] K sees this game as less pressure-packed than any ACC game, and that, despite the big Sat aft national ACC-Big East emphasis, this game he views as "Let's have fun and play" rather than "Jeez, can Mason and Andre and Ryan deal with the pressure?"

So I for one hope to see the frosh getting a few more minutes on Sat, with perhaps a special surprise appearance by Casey Peters [an honorary frosh].

superdave
01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
His game probably best compares to Aminu out of anyone we've played so far. At least that's the comparison that first came to mind.

I cannot help but think that this Gtown team fell apart the 2nd half of last year.

But I'm sure it will be a good test, and we'll see more minutes (and hopefully more production) from the bench.

davekay1971
01-28-2010, 10:29 AM
It was a curious comment, and I read it as having two possible implications:

1) It's out of conference, and therefore not such a must-win. Coach K has always been very clear about how significant he considers conference championships and regular season "titles" (since the official ACC champion is the tournament champion). As tight as the conference race is right now, each game is signficant. I find it hard to imagine that Coach K is thinking "well, it's not such a big deal if we drop the Georgetown game", but my mind-reading skills are a bit iffy lately, so who knows?

or...

2) Mason, Dawkins, and Kelly each have a skill set that he thinks will match up well with Georgetown. I thought his comment that he doesn't know much about G'town was wonderful coachspeak. I bet he's already got a pretty good idea about their team and has some thoughts about what his guys may be able to do against them. He may have some specific plans for helping to use Dawkins and Kelly to open the floor, or a matchup advantage he may see for Mason's combination of skills.

I tend to think he was implying the latter. If so, I'm going to be very interested to see what our freshmen can accomplish against the Hoyas.

J_C_Steel
01-28-2010, 10:30 AM
This will be a tough test, but that Coach K quote is VERY interesting. I caught a small portion of the post-game interview with the 620 AM radio guys, and Coach K was emphasizing that "every ACC game is equally important."

It seems to me that Duke is approaching the G-town game as more of a chance to gain experience against a Big East foe than a must-win-for-NCAA-tournament-seeding type of game.

roywhite
01-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Watched a good part of the Georgetown--Syracuse game and I'm not sure what to think about the Hoyas. As impressive as their 14-0 start was, they were totally dominated by a very good 'Cuse team the rest of the way.

Freeman and Monroe will certainly give us problems, but the Georgetown backcourt just doesn't look solid to me. I look for Nolan to have a big game, and as noted by others, sounds like the young guys will get decent playing time. Should be interesting.

duke4life32182
01-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I think they will do fine checking him. Duke by 8-10 pts for there second true road win. Singler will build on his play from last night, Scheyer will play his steady hand ans Smith will do his thing. Look for the three of them to combine in the 65+ points and I think you may see the Plumlees step it up. They will be trying to get Monroe in foul trouble and I think Miles, of the two will bring his A game for Greg. Another chance for us to show Monroe why he should of come to Duke. Take it to em boys. Go Duke!

91devil
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking Lance will guard Monroe, Kyle will guard Summers and Miles on Vaughn - at least to start. Monroe might be a bit too agile for Miles, but his (Monroe's) extra height shouldn't bother Lance much.

Thoughts?

BlueintheFace
01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
They have soooooo much more preparation time. This one will be very very difficult to win. Odds are certainly against Duke.

Also, does anybody else think reggie will bring POTUS along? I kind of have a feeling....

superdave
01-28-2010, 11:10 AM
That makes sense because Lance is on a defensive tear of late. He played a lot of minutes last night.

But based on Coach K's comment about the bench, this could be a good stretch to see if Mason can produce when told "You're going to play a lot so be ready."

airowe
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Keep the streak alive sagegrouse! I think we matchup fairly well against Georgetown. They play the least deep bench in the nation so the quick turnaround may not hurt us as much as it would against a deeper, quicker team like Kansas or Texas. They are big at almost every possession and while Monroe has more realized talent than any of our bigs, our depth there should help us neutralize much of their advantage. Hopefully, we can contain Chris Wright on the perimeter as he is a dangerous outside shooter and force him into some bad decisions with the ball. I'm not going to be upset if we lose this game, but a win could cement our place in the elite teams in the country. I hope the team that showed up against Gonzaga and UCONn will be there on Saturday instead of the team that appeared in Raleigh.

airowe
01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
They have soooooo much more preparation time. This one will be very very difficult to win. Odds are certainly against Duke.

Also, does anybody else think reggie will bring POTUS along? I kind of have a feeling....

DBP said there will be some very special guests. I wonder if K would even let Obama into the locker room.

KyDevilinIL
01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
DBP said there will be some very special guests. I wonder if K would even let Obama into the locker room.

Well, a surprisingly significant number of UK fans blamed Obama for the Cats' loss at South Carolina, because Obama had called the team earlier in the day to congratulate the team for its Haiti efforts. :rolleyes:

If Obama's power is such that it can make UK lose with a mere phone call, then I have no idea what a face-to-face meeting with Duke – considering K's politics – would lead to.

flyingdutchdevil
01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
G'Town fans love it when they play Duke. My friends still give me a hard time about that 2006 loss (and even though we've beaten 'em every time since, they still love that win. Gotta give it to them - it was a helluva win!).

G'Town will be tough. This is another opportunity for LT to shine again. I don't think it's his more difficult challenge - Booker is more of a beast than Monroe, IMO (Monroe just has more potential). However, LT will be busy with a quick, long big. We shut Monroe down last year - should be able to again.

I have a feeling that Nolan will be the difference maker. After his first poor game in a long time (and for Nolan, 11pt, 4 assists, and 1 turnover is a "bad" game), I think Nolan will absolutely erupt. I'm calling it - career high vs GTown!

soccerstud2210
01-28-2010, 11:57 AM
freeman. how will he play? how do we match up against him? will he shoot lights out? with he just be another player on the court?

i think he is a difference maker.

moonpie23
01-28-2010, 12:15 PM

politics aside, not after what he did to UK...(obama)

phone in locker room rings - caller id says "numero uno"

Coach K: "don't answer that !"

SilkyJ
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
2 days more rest for G-Town. Super and Sensational (Kyle/Jon) have played 38-40 minutes for like the last 10 games and Scintillating has played just a few less minutes. Combine that, and it would make sense that maybe playing some of the fresher guys a few extra minutes would seem to make sense.

Get 'em in DC, boys!

NYDukie
01-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Two questions seem foremost:

1. How well does our "center by committee" cope with the mobile and skilled Greg Monroe?

2. Can Duke wear down Georgetown like Syracuse did Monday night? Georgetown has an even shorter bench than Duke.

sagegrouse

This will be a hard fought game no matter what. It will provide a good barometer of where the team stands on a national level as they face a G'Town team rated Top 10-15 that plays in the rugged Big East. In addition, it will provide a nice break from the ACC monotony for the players.

Monroe will be a huge challenge in my opinion because he is so versatile and the fact that he has stepped up his game to the level many have expected. Plus I think he will look to have a better showing than the one he had last year. LT is probably the best equipped to guard Monroe. The key will be for him to stay out of foul trouble as Monroe does have the size advantage, whether he utilized it from the perimeter or down low. After LT, the responsibilities will fall the MP1 and MP2 in that order. I think Mason will have a great role in this game as I just don't see Z making a huge impact against Monroe, especially trying to chase Monroe on the perimeter when he is out there. I'm not saying they won't try to get Z minutes but it's not the same type of matchup for Z as say Alabi was in the FSU game. Personally, I'd lay off Monroe and let him try to do his damage by shooting from the perimeter and keep him out of the lane, etc.

2. I think G'Town getting worn down might be slightly overrated. Again, this depends how much Coach K utilizes the bench. Both teams could rely primarily on 6-7 guys if Coach K decides to limit the minutes of Kelly, Dawkins and MP2. I know based on Coach K's post game comments from last night hint at using them more but until it occurs, both teams could be in the same boat in using a tight rotation.

As one poster mentioned, I think we will win a tough road game by virtue of having the better backcourt. Chris Wright is good but we have two exceptional guards in Jon and Nolan. I think Kyle and Freeman may be a wash so it will come down to in my opinion, which strenght has the greater impact on the game - Monroe v. Duke's Committee of bigs or Nolan/Jon v. G'Town's mixed bag of guards? As I said, I'll go with Jon and Nolan.

jv001
01-28-2010, 02:10 PM
This one time that I hope Coach K plays our young guys more. He commented that because of travel and just bad timing we were tired when we played NC State. I think with the short turn-around and big conference games coming up, GT home, BC away and unc away he will play more guys against G-Town. I look for a good game and a close win. Go Duke!

mapei
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
As many of you know, I'm a fan of both teams (and constitutionally incapable of rooting against either, so these games make me crazy). My spouse and I are season ticket holders to Georgetown, and I've seen almost all of both teams' games.

Here's how I see it.

Monroe is the one position (whether we call it the 4 or 5, there's a lot of moving around in the Hoyas' system) where Gtown has the clear advantage. He's better than any of Duke's bigs IMO, and seldom gets into foul trouble. Big matchup problem for Duke.

But the Hoyas will have a big matchup problem with Nolan. He is IMO better than Jason Clark and better most nights that Chris Wright, though it's much closer with Chris. Gtown will have to make a choice regarding whom Clark (the best perimeter defender) guards, and it will be a problem for them whether it's Nolan or Jon.

At the other big, Vaughn and Lance are very close and play similar styles, Lance the more aggressive defender, Vaughn a bit better under the basket. Both are foul-prone.

Jon and Wright are both very, very good, but play very differently. Chris is more of a Scottie Reynolds type, very quick, can score from anywhere, good but not great defender. Sometimes he has what I call "DeMarcus disease," deciding too soon to drive for the layup and getting turned over in the process.

Freeman and Singler are also a very intriguing but very different matchup. Kyle is probably the better defender and rebounder, Austin the better shooter and slasher. Last year's Kyle was definitely superior to last year's Austin, but this year I rate them even.

Duke's bench is *much* better, even though both teams are thin at guard. Gtown played Villanova evenly when Chris Wright was in the game; when he was out with foul trouble, Nova made their run. Hollis Thompson will eventually be very good but he's not there yet, and can't provide instant scoring like Dawkins can. Vee Sanford is just someone that Hoya fans hope won't mess up too much if he gets in the game.

At the bench bigs, Jerrelle Bennimon is coming on, and Henry Sims alternates between great and awful when JT3 allows him some playing time, which isn't often. Blocking shots is what he does best. Duke has three quality bigs plus Mason; advantage Duke.

Duke will be a better matchup for the Hoyas than Cuse was, because Duke doesn't have big & long guys fronting a zone D, plus majorly physical inside players. But Gtown isn't great at breaking the press and traps, so that might be something to exploit. It will help Duke that Gtown almost never presses.

It's not true that the Hoyas are big at every position - they are 6', 6'2", and 6'4" at the 1-2-3. Monroe and Vaughn are big, but not unusually so. When Hollis Thompson subs in (usually for Clark), he does add some height at 6-6.

Georgetown still plays a variant of the Princeton - you'll see a high post, pinpoint passes, and cuts, along with *very* good interior passing. But they play it at a much faster pace than in previous years.

I give a slight, very slight edge to Duke, even at Verizon. But it is *far* from a lock.

Kfanarmy
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM

The game will be enough of an event on its own.

-jk
01-28-2010, 02:51 PM

If he does attend, anyone else going should add some time to get through security. The last time I went to a game with a prez, there were people who didn't get into the arena until almost halftime.

-jk

BlueintheFace
01-28-2010, 03:00 PM
If he does attend, anyone else going should add some time to get through security. The last time I went to a game with a prez, there were people who didn't get into the arena until almost halftime.

-jk

I'm 95% sure he is. Plan accordingly...

Bob Green
01-28-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking Lance will guard Monroe, Kyle will guard Summers and Miles on Vaughn - at least to start. Monroe might be a bit too agile for Miles, but his (Monroe's) extra height shouldn't bother Lance much.

Thoughts?

Summers is in the NBA.

Mike Corey
01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Barring disaster somewhere, President Obama will be at the game.

He wanted to attend the Duke-dUNCe game in Cameron, but he couldn't get a ticket.

sagegrouse
01-28-2010, 07:59 PM

You bet he would! Think of what it would mean to the team.

sagegrouse

camion
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
2 days more rest for G-Town. Super and Sensational (Kyle/Jon) have played 38-40 minutes for like the last 10 games and Scintillating has played just a few less minutes. Combine that, and it would make sense that maybe playing some of the fresher guys a few extra minutes would seem to make sense.

Get 'em in DC, boys!

I'm not as worried about two extra day's rest for Georgetown as I am about two extra days of preparation. That and the home court make me worry about this game.

-bdbd
01-29-2010, 01:22 AM
Have tix, and am looking forward to it!! Is Duke, or DCW, doing any sort of event pre-game?

The Saturday forecast in DC is for light snow, starting late Fri night (will be much worse in Durham and further south). Not too much accumulation though - no more than an inch or two. Snow is like a good-luck charm for us... :D

That might keep at least some of the crowd away, which will help entry given the likely delays from extra security.

I see one of the Guards - Scheyer or more likely Smith (whoever doesn't get Clark defending him) - having a big night. Also, looks like Singler gets matched up against a much smaller defender -- so look for him to post up and shoot over the D.

Verizon is a nice, big, PRO arena. As such, it rarely gets too noisy - nothing like Clemson, Comcast (MD) or the DD (Duke game only). (Note: I'm NOT saying that it will be "quiet" though.) In fact, in previous years, when GT wasn't so good, it could seem like it was a Duke crowd, with all of the alums living in the DC area. But clearly GT is psyched up for this one. It'll be interesting to see what K has cooked up to control Monroe this time around! Still wish he had chosen to come to Dule -- he coulda been special alongside LT, KS, and a superb Guard like Scheyer. Just imagine him playing with a top-flight PF like Irving next year (and the rest of the Duke cast)!

This could be a tough one for us, but a good matchup/test. This is a elite-8 type game -- certainly no worse than a Sweet-16 one. Should be a lot of fun! (Oh, and I pick it as a coin-toss going down to the last minute. The reffing style will be critical, foul troubles, etc.) ...so I lean ever-so-slightly towards Duke as the deeper team.

:D:D:D

blueprofessor
01-29-2010, 08:51 AM

He wanted to attend the Duke-dUNCe game in Cameron, but he couldn't get a ticket.

O likes his golf even during disasters so he just may be on the links if snow is cleared!:)
Wonder if Monroe throws as many fits as he did in last year's game--he probably won't be talking smack to the refs this year! Over/under on fits is 6.:p

In 1994 at the championship game, Bubba Clinton's security caused some major delays --so don't wait too long to address the essentials!

Best to all Duke fans.
Blueprofessor

PumpkinFunk
01-29-2010, 09:16 AM

Yep. I was gonna post last night but forgot - I have it on a very good source that President Obama will have seats in a prime location for the game. Whether or not he interacts with the team, they don't even know. That being said: if POTUS wants in the locker room, you oblige. Snow is the only potential issue, but DC handles its snow much better than North Carolina does.

BD80
01-29-2010, 11:33 AM
... Snow is the only potential issue, but DC handles its snow much better than North Carolina does.

Miami probably handles snow better than North Carolina does.

lpd1982
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Nolan's tweet says our President will attend. Expect a super effort from Mr. Buckets. He especially loves an audience-remember his post game comments about needing to put on a show in MSG because of all the former Duke celebs on hand. Not that he ever holds back, I just think between being in D.C. , home for him, and the Big O he could go off.

BlueintheFace
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Lance Thomas QUESTIONABLE for the Georgetown game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUhT_oIcnO8

Kedsy
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Lance Thomas QUESTIONABLE for the Georgetown game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUhT_oIcnO8

Yikes. This could be a real issue. That panicky feeling in your stomach should be the final answer to those who question Lance's worth to the team.

If he doesn't play, we'll need Mason to step up if we want to get out of there with a win. Andre, perhaps even moreso, with Kyle slipping down to the 4 to guard Vaughn. If Miles and Mason are the primary defenders on Monroe, they'll need to be more careful about fouls.

airowe
01-29-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't remember Lance taking an elbow in that game but it seems like this would be mostly a playing through pain kind situation instead of a muscle pull or muscle strain kind of injury.

If that's all it is, I have faith in Lance to fight through it. If it's more, yeah I don't like the thought of playing Georgetown without Lance at all.

slower
01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Austin Freeman yet. THAT'S the guy to worry about. If he gets hot, he's a load.

Did I mention that he's a 6'4", 240(!) pound guard. Good luck, Jon (and whoever else gets the assignment).

For whatever it's worth (which usually isn't much, in my book), Seth Davis predicts a 70-67 Georgetown win.

-bdbd
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM

I seem to recall an interview last year with K mentioning that he supported and voted for President Obama. That was a surprise to me too. Didn't he say 5 years ago that if Shane ran for President he might actually have to vote Dem (for Shane)? Funny, good for him to have a sense of humor about it.

:)

CDu
01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Austin Freeman yet. THAT'S the guy to worry about. If he gets hot, he's a load.

Did I mention that he's a 6'4", 240(!) pound guard. Good luck, Jon (and whoever else gets the assignment).

For whatever it's worth (which usually isn't much, in my book), Seth Davis predicts a 70-67 Georgetown win.

I think Singler will be the one assigned to Freeman most of the time. Freeman is more of a forward than a guard anyway. The Hoyas will play two smaller/skinnier guards (Wright, Clark, Thompson) alongside Freeman most of the game. Not that Scheyer can't guard someone that bulky - just that Singler makes more sense.

slower
01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I think Singler will be the one assigned to Freeman most of the time. Freeman is more of a forward than a guard anyway. The Hoyas will play two smaller/skinnier guards (Wright, Clark, Thompson) alongside Freeman most of the game. Not that Scheyer can't guard someone that bulky - just that Singler makes more sense.

Cool - I think Kyle will do a good job on him. And it would be great for Kyle to be able to post him up, if it works out that way.

weezie
01-29-2010, 02:37 PM
gtown was, as a previous poster mentioned, pretty darned stingy with the tickets they made available to Duke. I was told Duke got 75 only and most of them are in the nosebleeds. (When it was explained that Duke also gives 75 to opposing teams visiting Cameron, I thought that was very generous, considering Cameron's seating capacity.)

No mention of any pre-game festivities either by the IDs or DCW.
Husband-of-weezie and I are sitting in sec 201, so I, at least, will do my best to "represent." Husband of weezie is far more self-controlled, especially in hostile environments.

OT, Donnie Simpson signed off on his last WPGC show earlier today and boy, it was pretty emotional. Great Detroit/DC guy and a real sports fan. I'll bet he's there tomorrow. Pretty easy on the eyes, too!

houstondukie
01-29-2010, 02:39 PM
As many of you know, I'm a fan of both teams (and constitutionally incapable of rooting against either, so these games make me crazy). My spouse and I are season ticket holders to Georgetown, and I've seen almost all of both teams' games.

Here's how I see it.

Monroe is the one position (whether we call it the 4 or 5, there's a lot of moving around in the Hoyas' system) where Gtown has the clear advantage. He's better than any of Duke's bigs IMO, and seldom gets into foul trouble. Big matchup problem for Duke.

But the Hoyas will have a big matchup problem with Nolan. He is IMO better than Jason Clark and better most nights that Chris Wright, though it's much closer with Chris. Gtown will have to make a choice regarding whom Clark (the best perimeter defender) guards, and it will be a problem for them whether it's Nolan or Jon.

At the other big, Vaughn and Lance are very close and play similar styles, Lance the more aggressive defender, Vaughn a bit better under the basket. Both are foul-prone.

Jon and Wright are both very, very good, but play very differently. Chris is more of a Scottie Reynolds type, very quick, can score from anywhere, good but not great defender. Sometimes he has what I call "DeMarcus disease," deciding too soon to drive for the layup and getting turned over in the process.

Freeman and Singler are also a very intriguing but very different matchup. Kyle is probably the better defender and rebounder, Austin the better shooter and slasher. Last year's Kyle was definitely superior to last year's Austin, but this year I rate them even.

Duke's bench is *much* better, even though both teams are thin at guard. Gtown played Villanova evenly when Chris Wright was in the game; when he was out with foul trouble, Nova made their run. Hollis Thompson will eventually be very good but he's not there yet, and can't provide instant scoring like Dawkins can. Vee Sanford is just someone that Hoya fans hope won't mess up too much if he gets in the game.

At the bench bigs, Jerrelle Bennimon is coming on, and Henry Sims alternates between great and awful when JT3 allows him some playing time, which isn't often. Blocking shots is what he does best. Duke has three quality bigs plus Mason; advantage Duke.

Duke will be a better matchup for the Hoyas than Cuse was, because Duke doesn't have big & long guys fronting a zone D, plus majorly physical inside players. But Gtown isn't great at breaking the press and traps, so that might be something to exploit. It will help Duke that Gtown almost never presses.

It's not true that the Hoyas are big at every position - they are 6', 6'2", and 6'4" at the 1-2-3. Monroe and Vaughn are big, but not unusually so. When Hollis Thompson subs in (usually for Clark), he does add some height at 6-6.

Georgetown still plays a variant of the Princeton - you'll see a high post, pinpoint passes, and cuts, along with *very* good interior passing. But they play it at a much faster pace than in previous years.

I give a slight, very slight edge to Duke, even at Verizon. But it is *far* from a lock.

Thanks for the insight Mapei.

In regards to the Singler - Freeman matchup, who do you think has the advantage? Is Freeman quick enough to give Singler problems? If Kyle can stick to Freeman, it will be very difficult for Freeman to get shots off over the taller Singler (6'8 vs 6'4).

SilkyJ
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm not as worried about two extra day's rest for Georgetown as I am about two extra days of preparation. That and the home court make me worry about this game.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Rest and prep.

I don't remember Lance taking an elbow in that game but it seems like this would be mostly a playing through pain kind situation instead of a muscle pull or muscle strain kind of injury.

Oh man I do. I jumped out of my seat when he got it. It was mid-2nd half IIRC of a defensive board for FSU.

Greg_Newton
01-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Cool - I think Kyle will do a good job on [Freeman]. And it would be great for Kyle to be able to post him up, if it works out that way.

One thing I've liked about Kyle's last 2 games is that he's been using his size much more to get good, controlled looks from 12-15 feet. I'm talking about when he curls, takes a dribble or two to the elbow, and simply stops and lets the shorter defender commit before basically shooting a set shot over his head. I too would love to see him post up more, but I think we might see this start to develop as his go-to move (and one he draws a lot of fouls with off of pump fakes). I'll be watching out for it against 6-4 Freeman tomorrow.

airowe
01-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh man I do. I jumped out of my seat when he got it. It was mid-2nd half IIRC of a defensive board for FSU.

Where'd he get hit? I must have missed it.

Bob Green
01-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Where'd he get hit? I must have missed it.

At the 9:07 mark of the 2nd half, Thomas was hit on the right side of his head by an Xavier Gibson elbow that knocked Thomas to the deck. The elbow was inadvertent.

davekay1971
01-29-2010, 05:34 PM

No, because they have the ultimate difference in worldview...Obama's a Carolina fan!!!

airowe
01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
At the 9:07 mark of the 2nd half, Thomas was hit on the right side of his head by an Xavier Gibson elbow that knocked Thomas to the deck. The elbow was inadvertent.

He definitely kept playing. I wonder if he's having some concussion effects???

coachbob
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
He got hit in the jaw by a swinging elbow. I didn't notice during the game Later, watching it on the DVR I saw him get clocked. It was at the 9:05 point of the second half. There was a loose ball and Gibson came up with it with elbows flying. Lance continued to play, but I'm guessing it hurt like hell then and even more today. I sure hope he can play. I love what he brings to this team.
Go Duke!

SilkyJ
01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
He definitely kept playing. I wonder if he's having some concussion effects???

Not only did he keep playing, he popped right up after he got it. I mean RIGHT up. Obviously I have no idea whether its lingering concussion effects or what, but if its making him questionable it must be more serious than it looked.

Then again the elbow miles caught on his dome didn't look that bad and he came out looking like a UFC fighter....ok maybe exaggerating a little, but clearly catching 'bow can do some damage even if it doesn't look bad.

DukeDevilDeb
01-29-2010, 09:59 PM
I seem to recall an interview last year with K mentioning that he supported and voted for President Obama. That was a surprise to me too. Didn't he say 5 years ago that if Shane ran for President he might actually have to vote Dem (for Shane)? Funny, good for him to have a sense of humor about it.

:)

You are 100% right. K did vote for Obama and I know it would be an honor for him and the team to have the president in the Duke locker room.

Further, I certainly believe that coach about the elbow Lance took though I don't remember it happening in the game. I saw Lance yesterday; he looked good and strong, and I truly believe that he will play and give it his all. And the way he's playing...we need him!

hsheffield
01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
anyone know a livestream address for this game?

-bdbd
01-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Interesting article(s) in the Washington Post Sports section previewing the game, obviously from a GT perspective. There is also one there confirming POTUS being expected (hopefully with Reggie Love on his elbow!). I too think K and the team would be EXTREMELY honored to have the President pay them a visit (but I reiterate that our goal should be for the team to visit HIM at the White House in the April-May timeframe, bring along a certain trophy with them... ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/29/AR2010012903240.html

The Post (and Georgetown) is saying arrive at the game 45 minutes earlierr than normal due to added security. Forecasts are now for 2-4 inches of snow Saturday in DC, though not starting until late-morning. Snow..... always a good omen!!

Lastly, I sure hope Lance can play, as his defense (and fouls to give) is very important versus GT's best player (and almost-Dukie) Greg Monroe.

Go Duke!!!!!

:D:D

P.S. Don't read into things that POTUS is a Kerlina fan as much as a savvy politician shooting around with a certain state's favored team (as defined by sheer numbers of voters, er, fans) during an election. 'would not be surprised to hear that Reggie may have played a role in the suggestion. Have faith in RL whispering in his ear about the RIGHT team to root for tomorrow! ;)

Dukeface88
01-30-2010, 12:52 AM
:D:D

P.S. Don't read into things that POTUS is a Kerlina fan as much as a savvy politician shooting around with a certain state's favored team (as defined by sheer numbers of voters, er, fans) during an election. 'would not be surprised to hear that Reggie may have played a role in the suggestion. Have faith in RL whispering in his ear about the RIGHT team to root for tomorrow! ;)

I'm not sure I'd even read that far into it. Carolina wasn't exactly a dark horse. Now if he picked them this year...

Billy Dat
01-30-2010, 01:03 AM
I, too, watched the Georgetown/Syracuse game and was came away thinking both teams were better than I thought. Syracuse is a clear title contender and the Hoyas really impressed me - and JTIII says it was their worst game.

Georgetown is very good, I am actually surprised how confident everyone is that we are going to win based on he fact that we are on the road, and they've had longer prep time.

Their backcourt, especially Freeman, is tough. Freeman is such a load, very physical yet quick and nimble. Wright and Clark were also much tougher than I expected.

Inside, aside from Monroe, this kid Vaughn is big, tough, and skilled. He and Monroe run a lot of effective high/lo sets out of the Princeton system and they are tough to contain.

Based on my small sample, I feel like Freeman is a little to impetuous, and Monroe doesn't demand the ball enough/ They looked best when they ran deep into their sets and the ball moved through the post utilizing Monroe's strong passing skills. When Freeman comes down and jacks up shots, they don't play to their strengths, at all.

This would be a really huge win for us because these guys are really good and it would add to our weak road resume.

buckshot
01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
What are the chances that WRAL will have a crawl or radar map up during today's game? I hate it when they do that

jjasper0729
01-30-2010, 09:54 AM
i'm wondering if they are just going to stay on the air all eff-ing day and preempt the game

RoyalBlue08
01-30-2010, 09:59 AM
What are the chances that WRAL will have a crawl or radar map up during today's game? I hate it when they do that

Um, like 99.5%

diveonthefloor
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Sorry to be a downer, but politics has no place in the pregame today.

Duke needs to concentrate on Duke and Georgetown. No one and nothing else.

If POTUS or any senators, or justices, or anyone else wants face time with K and the team, save it for afterwards.

Personally I am disappointed in politicians who use these photo opps to boost their poll numbers. Please, just do your job, and take care of the country's problems!

sagegrouse
01-30-2010, 10:21 AM
1. If you are still at home, you're late: get rolling.

2. You know better than me (I'm in CO this month), but it is snowing in DC now, 22 degrees, and expected to snow more heavily and get colder throughout the day. Therefore:

3. Take the Metro. It's fun and the suburban lots are wide open today. Moreover, there is word that the usual $20 parking lots close to Verizon Center are closed.

4. For after game dining and drinks, I have three recommendations:

a. Jaleo at 480 7th St.: Spanish tapas, flights of sherries and overall good food.

b. Zaytinya for the bar scene and excellent Lebanese food at 701 9th St. I dunno about Saturday afternoon, but in the evening it is filled with beautifully dressed young people. Mrs. Sage Grouse looked just fine there, but I looked like somebody's elderly chauffeur

c. Big Wong restaurant at 506th I St.: definitely the economy choice, but excellent food and some specialties for native Chinese at the back of the menu

FWIW, I like the Clyde's next to the Center, but there are Clydes throughout the DC area.

sagegrouse

devildeac
01-30-2010, 10:46 AM
That's about what I expect. At least folks in the the Triangle and surrounding areas will have WDNC or affiliates and Bob Harris for the audio. At least that way, it will be accurate and unbiased commentary.;):rolleyes:

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-30-2010, 11:06 AM
99.9% chance this game is interrupted in some manner...

It has precipitated, it is still precipitating and will continue to precipitate...They just can't help themselves and talk about it...

jjasper0729
01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
not only talk about it.. but also make sure we see as many photos as they can show us that people have sent them

Olympic Fan
01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
No question they have the crawl at the bottom of the screen -- listing cancellations and the like.

And they may break away from the CBS halftimre to do weather updates.

But no way they pre-empt the game for weather updates, unless something totally unprecedented happens. They've been promoting the heck out of this game. On last night's news shows, they made a big deal about the fact that Duke was already in Washington and they game would be played and would be on WRAL -- in fact, that was the lead sports item on their 6 p.m. news show.

So you'll get to see the game .... but you'll be annoyed by the constant weather crawl at the bottom of the screen. I agree that it's annoying, but it's not much worse than the ESN crawl that we've learned to live with.

Troublemaker
01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I hope Duke can nab its first close win this season, loosely defined by me as a 1 or 2 possession ballgame in the last minute of the game. I'd be shocked if Duke wins convincingly -- Hoyas are at home, have balanced scoring, and much more time to prepare -- so the only other option besides winning a close game is pain. It'll be interesting to see how well this big lineup can defend backdoors.

Indoor66
01-30-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope Duke can nab its first close win this season, loosely defined by me as a 1 or 2 possession ballgame in the last minute of the game. I'd be shocked if Duke wins convincingly -- Hoyas are at home, have balanced scoring, and much more time to prepare -- so the only other option besides winning a close game is pain. It'll be interesting to see how well this big lineup can defend backdoors.

I hope that Duke wins in a laugher. Much prefer a 20 point lead at the half and build from there. Unfortunately, I expect a close game.

-jk
01-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, we're in. We got through security in about 10 minutes. Metal detectors at the entrance.

We did have to walk (more like bull our way) through the student line, though.

-jk

-jk
01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Every seat in the 100s (except behind the Duke bench) and most in the 200s have a "gray out" t-shirt draped across it. And two foot retractable Georgetown banners, too.

They're certainly treating this as a huge game.

-jk

Law Talking Guy
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, we're in. We got through security in about 10 minutes. Metal detectors at the entrance.

We did have to walk (more like bull our way) through the student line, though.

-jk

Did they (the students) give you any trouble besides passive resistance? I've been to a number of opposing venues for Duke games, and I've never been treated worse (and more repeatedly) than at MCI/Verizon; that includes Comcast and the Dean Dome. I hope you fare better.

DeBlueDevil
01-30-2010, 12:22 PM
about 40 minutes away from tip off and I'm getting chills. I don't want to make this game bigger than what it is but man this is a big game. I just feel that if we can grab a W here it would go a long way toward the confidence of this team and proving that we are a true contender. Not that we need to prove it to ourselves or anyone else but the W certainly wouldn't hurt. This is what Duke basketball is all about baby BIG GAMES.

Nothing more that I love than our team going into a hostile environment, punching the other team in the mouth, and coming out with a W. Let's go Duke!!!!! Give em' hell Devils!!!

GLTBD
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know if LT is playing today?

YourLandlord
01-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Did they (the students) give you any trouble besides passive resistance? I've been to a number of opposing venues for Duke games, and I've never been treated worse (and more repeatedly) than at MCI/Verizon; that includes Comcast and the Dean Dome. I hope you fare better.

Safety school.

-jk
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know if LT is playing today?

He's on the scoreboard as a starter.

-jk

airowe
01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
He's on the scoreboard as a starter.

-jk

Yep, starting and playing. Bring the pain LT!

beltwayBD
01-30-2010, 01:07 PM
I can't get the game!!! Freaking out here.

They are playing some infomercial.

flyingdutchdevil
01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
don't have CBS. Anyone know where I can watch the game online? Justin.tv doesn't have it.

IBleedBlue
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Why are all coaches wearing white sneakers today in all the games?
I have been flipping into several ball games and all head coaches are wearing white sneakers...whats up with that?

pfrduke
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Why are all coaches wearing white sneakers today in all the games?
I have been flipping into several ball games and all head coaches are wearing white sneakers...whats up with that?

It's for Coaches vs. Cancer.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I see we are back to missing bunnies again. Not a good sign early on.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm in Dc and it's working for me. I have comcast.

TNDukeFan
01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
"On that weekend, a collaborative initiative of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the American Cancer Society, coaches will wear sneakers instead of dress shoes with their usual game attire in support of the fight against cancer."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25hoop.html

beltwayBD
01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm in Dc and it's working for me. I have comcast.

Just came on. Whew.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM
I also see Wright is giving us fits with dribble penetration early on. That's another bad sign early on. We have to take care of that or it's going to be a long afternoon.

terrih
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Hope we start to get the shots to fall soon and stop fouling. Yuck.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah, we've gotten some decent looks but haven't finished well at all. How many bunnies have we missed in the first 4 minutes? At least 4 or 5 I'd say.

slower
01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I also see Wright is giving us fits with dribble penetration early on. That's another bad sign early on. We have to take care of that or it's going to be a long afternoon.

It already feels like a long afternoon.

1999ballboy
01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Zoubek can't catch a break... he had his arms out to his sides and got knocked down by Monroe and still gets the whistle. Wow.

riverside6
01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
our live stats feed just started for the duke/georgetown game, check out live tempo-based stats here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3790

House G
01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Kyle looks ready today.

lpd1982
01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't think we will continue shooting below 20% and them over 50%

dairedevil
01-30-2010, 01:21 PM
If these whistles keep up, Gtown will be shooting free throws soon.

House G
01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Clark Kellog is unbearable (and so biased). He talks more than my wife :D

_Gary
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Why does Kellogg keep saying we are playing a zone when we aren't? That's weird.

buddy
01-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Miles is playing like this is the first day of practice. Does he have any idea of what defense we are playing?

Brim
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Does anybody know what Duke's record is playing in front of the President? (Especially with the President favoring one team or the other?)

Last example I can think of is Duke vs Arkansas in the NCAA Championship Game in 1994, with Bill Clinton in attendance (and with the Pres obviously favoring Arkansas), which Duke of course lost.

What about Duke vs Texas during W's tenure? Duke won against Texas in 12/2003 and 12/2005, but I don't recall if Bush was there in person.

Any other examples?

House G
01-30-2010, 01:31 PM
A Ryan Kelly sighting!

_Gary
Unfortunately CW4 (aka Wright) is on fire today. He looks like he might go for 30 today, if not more.

TNDukeFan
has made several very complimentary comments about the
Dukies so far. Can't agree with the bias thing.

YourLandlord
It looks like we have never played a game together. This team has no chemistry.

slower
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
if they keep making stupid fouls, we'll have zero bigs.

there's another STUPID, STUPID foul by Plumlee. Plus, are ANY of our guys aware that people will strip the ball from behind?

Oh good - Zoubs is in. Can't wait to see how many seconds it takes for him to foul.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think Kellogg is biased either. He's actually one of my favorites. That's why I was mystified when he said Duke was playing a zone two times in a row when they clearly were not. He's better than that.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Dang man, this Chris Wright can't miss.

YourLandlord
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
This is dangerous -- could be one of those games where they get a 10 point lead, and it stays there -- we never get closer than 3 the rest of the way.

WAKE UP you idiots.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
This one is getting away from us quickly. TO Coach K.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Gettin ugly quickly.

Coballs
01-30-2010, 01:36 PM
This is dangerous -- could be one of those games where they get a 10 point lead, and it stays there -- we never get closer than 3 the rest of the way.

I agree. I think we've seen our last lead.

Welcome2DaSlopes
We still have a chance, don't give up yet.

House G
Zoubek hamstrung by foul trouble--might as well sit him down if he is going to be that passive.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 01:37 PM
I agree. I think we've seen our last lead.

If Wright doesn't cool off then I agree. He looks like he's going to go for 40 against us today.

buddy
01-30-2010, 01:37 PM
it looks more like a lack of heart.

pfrduke
01-30-2010, 01:38 PM

I think it looks more like lack of spleen. With a little liver and kidney shortage as well. :rolleyes:

GLTBD
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Nolan needs to get rollin

loran16
01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
somebody explain to me why on a play where a big man (mason) helps another inside, leading to an easy basket, one of the two big men beat DECIDES TO SLAP THE GUY AND FOUL HIM?

Seriously, it's the dumbest play in basketball. 0% chance of success, 60% chance of leading to an extra point.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Can we slow peeps down on their home floor? Its like all these fools get rollin right off the bat and we cant slow em down at all.

Son of Mojo
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Phantom fouls, turnovers, missed opportunities, and incessant Obama/Biden camera shots. Ugh. Time to step things up.

ChicagoCrazy84
Kyrie!!!!!

grossbus
Flat

we gots nothing at either end

dalmatians98
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
There's more than Zoubek wrong in this game.

Duke is not taking care of the ball, leading to steals, leading to some easy buckets.

Five Duke turnovers in five minutes.

Silly offensive fouls.

Lack of D with a team on fire.

G'town with a 13 point lead and five minutes to go in the first half.

Someone has to light a fire under the Devils.

loran16
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Not over yet. IF they start making all these ticky tack fouls, we'll catch up due to their lack of depth.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Im at work and its all chill so we turned our TV on and I was watching it, but I decided not to watch when it got ugly, but I can hear it and ALL I CAN HEAR is GTown fans screaming every 10 seconds.

TNDukeFan
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Channeling JJ with that long 3!

ice-9
01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
We should play zone...seriously, our man-to-man can't seem to stop them. Let's go with what Syracuse proved works.

burns15
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Teams that want to be in competition for the national title do not start 1-4 on the road. The thing that gets me is it is the same problem every year the past 5 years or so. We are not playing 5 on 5 on offense, they way our offense is structured/played, we consistently have 1 or 2 non-threats on offense, which kills us. Teams dont have to guard those guys as closely and can help on others. Unless Duke has better athletes than other teams, our offense struggles for the most part, because our jumpshooting is not consistent enough.

Its that we have the same problems every time we play on the road this year. Get down by 10 or so, keep it close, make a run at the end of the game, then fall back by 6 or 8 and lose by close to that. With an experienced team this should not happen on the road, someone needs to stpe up and say this is my team I will carry us

Jderf
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Need to take better care of the ball... and work that zone a bit more, it seemed effective.

House G
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Wisconsin, NC State, and now GT--have you ever seen 3 teams shoot the ball better.

FireOgilvie
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Why in the heck would K put in Ryan Kelly with 1.5 minutes left in the half?

PSurprise
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Wisconsin, NC State, and now GT--have you ever seen 3 teams shoot the ball better.

Unfortunately, it looks more like a pattern than coincidence...

buddy
01-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Right now, we appear to be a fraud.

House G
01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
We need to work on our play when we hold the ball for the last shot--I'm not sure we have one.

PSurprise
01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
the tournament started tomorrow, I'd say we'd be happy to get out of the second round...

roywhite
01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
the tournament started tomorrow, I'd say we'd be happy to get out of the second round...

If it was 70 degrees outside, we wouldn't have all this snow.

Coballs
Well that couldn't have gone much worse. This is what happens when a potential Final Four team gets fired up on their home floor against a pretender. We're playing with no energy on either end of the court and our complete lack of an interior scoring presence really hurts. Does anyone think that we can make a comeback in this one? I don't.

Jderf
if the tournament started tomorrow, I'd say we'd be happy to get out of the second round...

if the tournament started tomorrow, I'd say would be lucky if every team didn't shoot 77.3% from the floor on us.

IBleedBlue
The reality, unfortunately, is that no one other than singler, scheyer and smith is stepping up and sharing the scoring effort. The bigs are picking up fouls like nickels and dimes.
Chris Wright is scoring at will...

ChicagoCrazy84
Im not really sure we have much of an identity on offense. It really is boring watching us unless we are playing Penn or something. It's basically Kyle slashing or Nolan/John coming off of screens and shooting jumpers. I know our D has problems, but man I miss the time where our offense was actually efficient.

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM
need more than 4 pts and 3 rbs from the plumlees to have a chance to do anything in march

HDB
We're a good but not great team. Not enough athletes. Next year will be a different story.

Faison1
I hope the halftime speech is good.....

I can't remember being this frustrated watching a game in a long time.

I'm lucky my 4 year old daughter is in the room because the cussing would be unbelievable otherwise....

roywhite
What's up with Nolan? He's playing in a fog.

Injury? Stressed over losing his grandad?

Chris Wright is killing us, not to mention Georgetown's overall shooting (3-pt, 2-pt, FT...you name it).

Eternal Outlaw
01-30-2010, 02:04 PM

This was my thought. Duke is not emotionally invested in this game. Playing in tough ACC game after game, they finally get to one that doesn't count. It's hard to get up for every game and this is an easy one to slip the intensity some being non-conference. G'Town on the other hand is at home after a loss so they badly want to make a statement.

moonpie23
another whole half to play....gtown hopefully will cool off and the fouls will start coming on them..

they've used a lot of energy to get up on us ....we had a little run there, and then slacked off on d and let them get back up...

we need someone to start stepping up and scoring.....throw some scare into them..

AlaskanAssassin
No worries, we've seen this with georgetown-syracuse. We'll come back. A halftime speech by Coach should do the trick.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Now I have to start wondering if the Clemson win wasn't an anomaly, as opposed to the NC State loss. Just a lot of inconsistency with this team, and that's not something I would have thought would happen this year. We've got too many upperclassmen on this team to see this up and down play.

Coballs
I can't remember being this frustrated watching a game in a long time.

Faison1, did you watch the NC State game?

JBJL8
And in this case, Nolan looks like he isn't even going to show up for this one. Standing around, turning the ball over and then jogging back on defense after it....unacceptable.

Any team with better athletes, this is what we will get unless we come with top shelf heat and effort. And clearly we didn't in the first half....

Vincetaylor
We're not good. We've only beaten one team the whole year(Gonzaga) who is Sweet 16 material. We are a Sweet 16 team at best. Don't get your hopes up. The team is no different than the last few years, no matter what anyone on this board says.

moonpie23
01-30-2010, 02:06 PM
i'm surprised they let zoubs get INTO the game before they called that first foul

grossbus
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
we are committing a lot of low value fouls. our intent was to get them in foul trouble? not working too well.

like i said before. flat.

House G
01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
We should play zone...seriously, our man-to-man can't seem to stop them. Let's go with what Syracuse proved works.
I agree that it would be worth a try, although Syracuse plays it better than anyone. When we play zone, it always looks like a bit of a foreign concept. Having said that, this might be the sort of game where we don't have much to lose.

dukelifer
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
What's up with Nolan? He's playing in a fog.

Injury? Stressed over losing his grandad?

Chris Wright is killing us, not to mention Georgetown's overall shooting (3-pt, 2-pt, FT...you name it).

There is an old adage in basketball- you cannot beat a team shooting 77% when you shoot under 40%. Georgetown will either need to come back to earth for Duke to have a shot or it is time to start preparing for the next game. A lot will be determined on how Duke comes out in the second half.

Duke has not righted the ship yet- they seem like they can only win when they play much more intensely on the defensive end- which wears them out.

jv001
01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Even worse on defense. How can a team that has played good defense in almost every game give up so many easy baskets. I know that many have come off turnovers and fast breaks but it's the worse than the State game. Our guards seem to have lead in their shoes when playing defense. And our offense with all the dribbling is not fun to watch. And for those wanting the guards to pass the ball into the post, just look at game film on how Miles fumbled the ball worse than Adrian Peterson. I look for a better 2nd half but it may be too late. Go Duke!

jgehtland
This board demonstrates the absolute worst in observation bias. Everything good the team does disappears the minute adversity hits, and anything bad is obviously the way it will always be. Do you really think that Georgetown will shoot 77% again in the second half? Really? Sometimes you have to weather a hot hometeam (by the way, a hot #7 home team) playing through the adrenaline.

Am I positive Duke will pull it together? No. But I'm pretty sure that teams shooting 77% are an aberration.

ChicagoCrazy84
After that type of half, if I was Coach K, I would say to heck with it and get Mason and Miles 7-10 shots each in the 2nd half. It has to stop with us playing 3-5 on offense because I just don't think those 3 guys are good enough to do it. This team I feel is made for balance, and we don't have any of it. If you look at Georgetown, Monroe, Freeman, and Wright are better because those 3 actually give the team balance that is why they get away with 3 guys scoring. Going against good teams, we're screwed because these guys don't create matchup problems. Wright would hold his own against most good guards and Monroe would pretty much dominate most big men. We ar enot built for this. The Plumlee's have to start contributing and the 2nd half is where it should start.

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
This board demonstrates the absolute worst in observation bias. Everything good the team does disappears the minute adversity hits, and anything bad is obviously the way it will always be. Do you really think that Georgetown will shoot 77% again in the second half? Really? Sometimes you have to weather a hot hometeam (by the way, a hot #7 home team) playing through the adrenaline.

Am I positive Duke will pull it together? No. But I'm pretty sure that teams shooting 77% are an aberration.

they'll shoot 77% again if we don't start playing defense

ChicagoHeel
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Duke shoots 33% for the half, G-town 77% and Duke is only down 13. With those percentages, Duke should be down 20. There's a comeback in the works when G-town cools off, which they will if Duke can stop the dribble penetration.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 02:14 PM

If the shooting percentage were the only thing I was looking at in the game you might have a point. Unfortunately, there's a lot more wrong with Duke, in this game, than just the shooting percentages for both teams.

Coballs
01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
This was my thought. Duke is not emotionally invested in this game. Playing in tough ACC game after game, they finally get to one that doesn't count. It's hard to get up for every game and this is an easy one to slip the intensity some being non-conference. G'Town on the other hand is at home after a loss so they badly want to make a statement.

Eternal Outlaw, how does this game not count? It doesn't count for the ACC standings, but so what. This is a nationally televised game against a top 10 team from the best conference in college basketball. The ACC is a good but not great conference this year...balanced - yes, but lacking top tier teams. The ACC regular season standings are just one facet of the season. Georgetown is probably the best team we will face all year, barring an improbable deep run in the NCAA tournament. This game could have seeding implications for the tournament and is a litmus test for our team. I consider this one of the most important games of the entire season. This is a statement game, and the statement Duke is making thus far is not a positive one.
Furthermore, it is difficult for you to make the case that Duke gets up for every ACC conference game after watching the performance at NC State.

ChicagoHeel
01-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Rebounds, TOs, blocks, steals are all about the same. Assists heavily in GT's favor, which reflects the dribble penetration.

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:17 PM
dribble penetration

sandinmyshoes
01-30-2010, 02:19 PM
They have been more aggressive, period. I suspect we'll come out in a fury and the question will be, can we maintain that?

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:20 PM
1st fast break basket 24 minutes into the game...not good

jsimmons
01-30-2010, 02:22 PM
quick guards blowing right by us again. why am i so tired of seeing this? why do things never change?

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
quick guards blowing right by us again. why am i so tired of seeing this? why do things never change?

haven't had a fleet-footed guard in years. should change next year with irving

PSurprise
01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
haven't had a fleet-footed guard for years. should change next year with irving

Has anyone seen Seth Curry play? How quick is he? I know he's more of a shooter than a slasher, but does he have that in his repertoire? Just curious...

FireOgilvie
01-30-2010, 02:27 PM
haven't had a fleet-footed guard in years. should change next year with irving

Uh, Nolan? Nolan is much better than Kyrie on defense. Prepare to be disappointed.

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Uh, Nolan? Nolan is much better than Kyrie on defense. Prepare to be disappointed.

was talking about the potential for lateral quickness. has to apply himself and work at it of course. if he doesn't, yes, it won't get better. but the potential is there

jv001
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Oh everything is just lovely. How's that? This is a Duke board and if eveyone just praised bad play, would that make you feel better? I love Duke, but I don't like bad play. Go Duke!

_Gary
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Ugh. Two great, wide open looks from 3 for Andre and he misses both. That really hurts.

FireOgilvie
01-30-2010, 02:39 PM
was talking about the potential for lateral quickness. has to apply himself and work at it of course. if he doesn't, yes, it won't get better. but the potential is there

Kyrie is not quicker than Nolan and Nolan was fantastic on defense in high school (not at all the case with Kyrie). Kyrie is better on offense in pretty much every way and has a better feel for the game, but he's not quicker. Physically, they're actually very similar except Kyrie has better body control and I would say Nolan has a slightly better vertical.

Kyrie is quicker than Scheyer, but I'm sure he won't be as good on defense as Scheyer from the start.

ice-9
01-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Zone, let's play zone!

11 minutes left and GT still shooting 71%.

Coballs
01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Zone, let's play zone!

11 minutes left and GT still shooting 71%.

It won't make a difference.

IBleedBlue
01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Why Kelly not shooting and looking to pass the ball when he had a wide open look? There is some sort of hesitency in his game now. I havent seen him take a open shot in the entire season so far. This is painful to watch...sloppy game

_Gary
01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Our bigs have had several opportunities to get 3 point plays but we can't seem to hit the bunnies after contact.

ice-9
01-30-2010, 02:47 PM
It won't make a difference.

I'm guessing you didn't watch the Syracuse game where Georgetown got crushed.

dukebluelemur
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
NCState II. A really hyped opponent, missed open looks by duke, poor defense, absolutely unconscious shooting by the opponent. Sigh. Sometimes it just isn't your day, especially when the Plums are so lost that RK is getting minutes :(

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM

we're not syracuse

RoyalBlue08
01-30-2010, 02:50 PM
we're not syracuse

Good point. Syracuse is busy losing to DePaul at the moment.

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Good point. Syracuse is busy losing to DePaul at the moment.

guess it's good we're not playing depaul then

ice-9
01-30-2010, 02:54 PM
The negativity on this thread is depressing.

At least suggest something constructive, geez.

(Psst...zone! We need to stop the dribble penetration and the fouling, and the zone are excellent against both.)

Faison1
Reminds me of the Villanova game last year.....dominated from start to finish.

FireOgilvie
Georgetown is playing their best game of the year and our guys are not playing up to their potential. It happens. We would beat Georgetown at home and I think it would be a toss-up on a neutral court.

Also, Syracuse is not that good. It's only a matter of time before they are exposed and lose a couple in a row.

HDB
01-30-2010, 02:55 PM
As I sat down to watch the game I was surprised to hear that Duke's gameplan was focused on pounding the ball inside to wear out the smaller Georgetown. I thought to myself, this should be interesting because I can't remember the last time that was our gameplan. Then, as I suspected, we have gotten steamrolled inside and have resorted to chucking up 3s. I've really grown weary of this. Can't wait til we finally have a real PG next year to create some offense for us.

rotogod00
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
As I sat down to watch the game I was surprised to hear that Duke's gameplan was focused on pounding the ball inside to wear out the smaller Georgetown. I thought to myself, this should be interesting because I can't remember the last time that was our gameplan. Then, as I suspected, we have gotten steamrolled inside and have resorted to chucking up 3s. I've really grown weary of this. Can't wait til we finally have a real PG next year to create some offense for us.

yup, haven't had this for years

Coballs
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Guess again. I watched. Syracuse is better than us and they play the best zone in the country.

dukieinhebron
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
would have really loved to have monroe on this team.

rotogod00
Yeah, I have something constructive. Get some good guard play in that will be able to stop dribble penetration and maximize our post play.

gotta get some post play too, though

House G
Layup after layup.

dairedevil
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
The negativity on this thread is depressing.

At least suggest something constructive, geez.

(Psst...zone!)

My thoughts, exactly...
What were the expectations for this team pre-season? Did anybody really expect a championship? Wasn't Duke projected in the middle of the ACC?

I NEVER thought it would be an undefeated season...And it's always difficult playing at someone else's home court.

At least this is a real opponent. Georgia Tech is playing D-II Kentucky State. How will that prepare them for the post-season?

strawbs
01-30-2010, 02:59 PM
the frustrating thing to me is that duke is not adapting at all on defense. duke cannot hedge out on screens and overplay passing lanes so much. They are just killing us backdoor. I don't know if any team can win a game when the other team gets so many bunnies they are shooting over 70% with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half.
Really poor effort on Duke's part today.

_Gary
01-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Turn out the lights...

BTW, I have to agree with RMD. We are reaping the results of missing on key recruits over the last 5 to 6 years. It's just that simple. I'm not gonna belabor the point, but I'm not gonna stick my head in the sand either. The truth is the truth.

grossbus
01-30-2010, 03:01 PM
anybody wish we had munroe? i do.

our bigs just don't seem to play that well. we have a lot of them, but...

Eternal Outlaw
01-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Eternal Outlaw, how does this game not count? It doesn't count for the ACC standings, but so what. This is a nationally televised game against a top 10 team from the best conference in college basketball. The ACC is a good but not great conference this year...balanced - yes, but lacking top tier teams. The ACC regular season standings are just one facet of the season. Georgetown is probably the best team we will face all year, barring an improbable deep run in the NCAA tournament. This game could have seeding implications for the tournament and is a litmus test for our team. I consider this one of the most important games of the entire season. This is a statement game, and the statement Duke is making thus far is not a positive one.
Furthermore, it is difficult for you to make the case that Duke gets up for every ACC conference game after watching the performance at NC State.

I didn't say they got up for every ACC game. I said it is hard to get up for every game and my implication that it is really hard to get up for a non-conference game after playing a bunch of conference games. It doesn't count for ACC. Does it count overall? Well yeah of course all games do but I will just have to disagree with it being one of the most important games of the year. Tulsa matters to an extent. Nationally televised? This is Duke, not some school that gets TV time a couple times a year. For nationally televised, it's not even in a great slot being 10 am here start time on the west coast.

Not going to argue about something that seems to be personal opinion but once conference start, I find it hard to call a non-conference game a big game or statement game unless you are like Memphis or Gonzaga playing in a weak conference. I'd say all 9 ACC games left are bigger games than this one. What's more important to you, winning the ACC or beating G'Town? This game would be much bigger as a Dec game than mid-conference game. Disagree? Cool, we'll just agree to disagree then.

ice-9
01-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Guess again. I watched. Syracuse is better than us and they play the best zone in the country.

We're losing by ~20 points. I think it's worth a try given we can't seem to stop anything with our man-to-man. GT shooting percentage actually went up since the 11 minute mark -- 75% now. (!!!!!)

Better than doing nothing and crying about it. Boo hoo, we're not as good as Syracuse so we can't try doing what they did, boo hoo.

House G
01-30-2010, 03:04 PM
the frustrating thing to me is that duke is not adapting at all on defense. duke cannot hedge out on screens and overplay passing lanes so much. They are just killing us backdoor. I don't know if any team can win a game when the other team gets so many bunnies they are shooting over 70% with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half.
Really poor effort on Duke's part today.
Exactly! NC State did the same thing. Our big men are not quick enough to play our current defense against stronger, athletic bigs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a remedy for this.

Duke #33
01-30-2010, 03:07 PM
I think that we need an old post player to return and help with that. Maybe a laetner(Sheldon too, but hes still playing) or another ex Duke player. just think duke needs that.

jimrowe0
01-30-2010, 03:07 PM
pathetic...just out played with more rest and better prepared

Coballs
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
The lack of fight from this team down the stretch is just embarrassing. What an implosion. Duke NEVER used to get blown out. But in the last 2 seasons we've been forced to witness the games at Clemson last year, against Nova in the tourney, and now this disaster.

AlaskanAssassin
01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
This is embarrassing to the duke fam. I say every position shoot 3s, unless wide open for a deuce!

AlaskanAssassin
01-30-2010, 03:11 PM
(Forde is ROTFL)

strawbs
01-30-2010, 03:11 PM
i don't know if anyone has said this already but it needs to be said. I don't want to make excuses for duke today because they played so poorly that they don't deserve people to make excuses on their behalf. However, Duke had a game just over 2 days ago, while G'town had 5 to prepare for this game. I'm sure that played a big part in this game, but like i said in my last post, duke's inability to adapt on defense is what lost them this game.

pacificrounder
01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I think the bottom of line of this game: sometimes it's just your day, and sometimes it's not. Clearly, today was Georgetown's day.

This is still a good, talented team, and lets hope that this loss will make them stronger come March. NEXT PLAY.

arydolphin
01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
The lack of fight from this team down the stretch is just embarrassing. What an implosion. Duke NEVER used to get blown out. But in the last 2 seasons we've been forced to witness the games at Clemson last year, against Nova in the tourney, and now this disaster.

Blowouts happen to all teams, even Duke. For example, the 1991 ACC Tournament final was UNC 96, Duke 74. 3 weeks later, Duke won its first national title. I'm not making an excuse for today, but when you get one team playing lights out and another team playing one of its worst games of the season, blowouts can happen. To say that Duke never used to get blown out is just wrong.

jgehtland
Oh everything is just lovely. How's that? This is a Duke board and if eveyone just praised bad play, would that make you feel better? I love Duke, but I don't like bad play. Go Duke!

No, but jeez, one bad game means we suck forever? Have you read the board? Declaring, as though fact, that because we are losing to Georgetown that we have no chance at all of getting out of the first weekend of the tournament? Sheesh.

proelitedota
I can't believe people are so upset about a loss against a top ten team, whose playing at home, who is out for revenge, who has 5 days of rest, and who has the president in attendance. I'll bet my money we can woop GT in MSG or another neutral court.

Genedoc
01-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Don't forget getting taken to the woodshed by a bad NC State team a couple of weeks ago. Four absolute blowouts in the last 2 years. More than I can remember from the previous 10 years.