Interesting perspectives on their time at Duke and transferring

duke4life32182
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I think they both made good decisions.

Kewlswim
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I think they both made good decisions.

Hi,

I always liked Jamal's fire, but he probably wasn't going to get many minutes. Boeteng seemed like a good kid, but we already have a bunch of guys who would probably be well ahead of him in the rotation. Then again, some guys pull the rip chord a bit early. Taylor King just needed to listen to the coaches and he would be doing really well here. Though he is doing great at Villanova so it is hard to argue with that decision. Coach K is great, but he isn't the right guy for everyone. The same is certainly true for his mentor Bobby Knight.

GO DUKE!

concrete
01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Boateng needed a lot of work but he could have been productive...I don't think based on the talent we attract that he was a good fit. Boykin should have been thrown some minutes, we dropped the ball on him IMO. But looks like he saw what was coming after he got mono...I dunno...I don't see him being worse than Lance Thomas as a PF who can hustle and score garbage baskets. I wonder if he thought he was more than that, since that's what he's doing on Cal now.

Jim3k
01-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Boykin: 25 pts (career high)
Boeteng: 19 pts

Cal 78 ASU 70

Story (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap;_ylt=AgH4tFpUyQT_Sf4lEX32oAvevbYF?gid=201001 280018)

Box (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore;_ylt=AhXUN3sk3L8krVq964V1CQvevbYF?gid=201 001280018)

JasonEvans
01-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Is it wrong of my to like the fact that 2 of the best teams in the Pac10 are led by players who could barely get off the bench at Duke?

--Jason "I am happy they both have found success at their schools-- always seemed like good kids" Evans1

RelativeWays
01-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I think both kids made the right decision, especially Boateng. I don't think he would have had as much success against the other PFs and Cs in the ACC. Boykin essentially is Lance Thomas, but a more consistent scorer at least in the Pac-10 anyway. But if you have one of those guys, you don't need both. The thing that stinks about Jamal is when you read about him, he busted his rear to get to Duke, it was his dream school. He wasn't really recruited by K, but he put forth the effort to get noticed and get a scholarship. We whine and cry that Harrison Barnes or Greg Monroe were "Duke kids" that we struck out on, well Boykin is every bit a Duke kid by those standards, maybe even more so, but it just didn't work out. I'm really glad he's had a good career at Cal.

94duke
01-29-2010, 09:51 AM
IIRC, Boykin left Duke to be closer to home after he caught mono, not to get more PT. Does anyone else remember this?

Gewebe14
01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi,

Taylor King just needed to listen to the coaches and he would be doing really well here. GO DUKE!

Didn't King leaving open up a spot for Miles? If so - best transfer ever. Thanks for one last contribution TK!

monkey
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Didn't King leaving open up a spot for Miles? If so - best transfer ever. Thanks for one last contribution TK!

Plumlee's great, but I still have Roshawn McLeod as the best transfer of the K era so far (sorry Dahntay - second half of senior year McLeod carried the team like a man possessed while Brand was out with a foot injury). Give Plumlee some extra time though...

BlueDevilCorvette!
01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I think both kids made the right decision, especially Boateng. I don't think he would have had as much success against the other PFs and Cs in the ACC. Boykin essentially is Lance Thomas, but a more consistent scorer at least in the Pac-10 anyway. But if you have one of those guys, you don't need both. The thing that stinks about Jamal is when you read about him, he busted his rear to get to Duke, it was his dream school. He wasn't really recruited by K, but he put forth the effort to get noticed and get a scholarship. We whine and cry that Harrison Barnes or Greg Monroe were "Duke kids" that we struck out on, well Boykin is every bit a Duke kid by those standards, maybe even more so, but it just didn't work out. I'm really glad he's had a good career at Cal.

I totally concur with your thoughts in regards to Boykin. Glad to see him doing well. The way Boykin literally "worked" to get to Duke speaks volumes for the type of guy he is.

Kedsy
01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Plumlee's great, but I still have Roshawn McLeod as the best transfer of the K era so far (sorry Dahntay - second half of senior year McLeod carried the team like a man possessed while Brand was out with a foot injury). Give Plumlee some extra time though...

The poster meant King was the best transfer out. Miles Plumlee didn't transfer in to Duke.