PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea...ESPN will love this

Kewlswim
01-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi,

It has been ages since Laettner's shot and even since UK nipped Duke after we had a 17 (think it was 17) point lead...So, do you think UK will stop hating Duke a bit and start living in the present? Like finding ways to beat USC? It is not like we play these guys very often. I sometimes think UK feels we are a rival like well Maryland does...so I have an idea. Let's stop calling Maryland a "natural rival" and slide in NC State (win or lose we should be playing them two times a year). One game against Maryland either home or away, but for the second game Maryland plays UK and the winner gets us. They hate us so much I would love to see UK play Maryland each year for the chance to play the incomparable, the truly fantastic, the Duke Blue Devils. Think of the tv ratings. :p

GO DUKE!

Indoor66
01-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi,

It has been ages since Laettner's shot and even since UK nipped Duke after we had a 17 (think it was 17) point lead...So, do you think UK will stop hating Duke a bit and start living in the present? GO DUKE!

Easy answer: NO. ;)

Jim3k
01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Are you kidding? UK hasn't gotten over its 1966 loss to Texas Western.

First all-black starting line-up to beat the all-white Ruppian Wildcats for a national championship? Heck no...and most of them never will.

SilkyJ
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Easy answer: NO. ;)

Are you kidding? UK hasn't gotten over its 1966 loss to Texas Western.

First all-black starting line-up to beat the all-white Ruppian Wildcats for a national championship? Heck no...and most of them never will.

So all the more reason this game makes sense. They hate us and want to cram it down our throats, so give them an opportunity to do it! I'm in!

duke4life32182
01-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Count me in.

Memphis Devil
01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Growing up, that is what I thought the NCAA tourney was for....to give one team the chance to play against Duke.

Bostondevil
01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Growing up, that is what I thought the NCAA tourney was for....to give one team the chance to play against Duke.

I think I love you, Memphis Devil.

Kewlswim
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi,

I like the responses. :) The NCAA tournament (in my eyes) is so different teams get the chance to play Duke. However, if a team really hates us that much, I say, let's make it so they can play us...as long as they work for it.

Maryland and Kentucky ... mano a mano... for the right to play Duke! Maryland, at least, is in our conference. Perhaps Kentucky should petition to get out of the SEC? They really don't compete that well in football over there anyway. Problem is that even the ACC brass (subtle dig at expansion--ick) wouldn't want them because they are an NCAA infraction or two or a thousand waiting to happen.

GO DUKE!

RaineyDevil
01-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah i dont understand why Maryland was picked as our second rival. They had a few good teams in the early 2000's that competed with Duke and Carolina for ACC supremecy. So What? We've been battling with NC State and Carolina for decades. Not to mention the obvious close proximity of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Historically it makes sense, geographically it makes sense. If it were up to me, the Big 4 would play eachother twice a year every year. I think Duke and Wake have developed a healthy rival over the last 15-20 years and we all know NC is the center of college basketball. The ACC is HQ'd in Greensboro, right smack in the middle of all 4 schools.

On topic: Maryland is like the little brother that always wants to be apart of what the big boys are doing. Yeah ever now and then they will show some flash of talent but not enough to be consistent. UK will hate us forever until they beat us on a buzzer beater for a national title. Even then they will still probably hate us. Therefore, your solution is a GREAT idea. I think the better of the 2 games would be MD/UK rather than winner/Duke just because they would exert so much effort at the chance of playing Duke regularly that it would be a bruiser. Get Jay Bilas on here again and lets see what he thinks.

weezie
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM

AKA The Duke Invitational.
And yes, I know this also applies to the ACC tourny.

Tom B.
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah i dont understand why Maryland was picked as our second rival. They had a few good teams in the early 2000's that competed with Duke and Carolina for ACC supremecy. So What? We've been battling with NC State and Carolina for decades. Not to mention the obvious close proximity of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Historically it makes sense, geographically it makes sense. If it were up to me, the Big 4 would play eachother twice a year every year. I think Duke and Wake have developed a healthy rival over the last 15-20 years and we all know NC is the center of college basketball. The ACC is HQ'd in Greensboro, right smack in the middle of all 4 schools.

My proposal (which I've floated here and elsewhere before, but what the heck, I'll say it again) would go something like this....

Split the ACC into three divisions for basketball:

The Big East Division: Boston College, Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech

The Big Four Division: Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest

The Football Division (a.k.a. "SEC Lite"): Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami

Each team plays every other team in its division twice.

Each team plays every team in the other divisions once, PLUS each team has one rotating home-and-home per year with the other two divisions.

Voila, a 16-game schedule with divisions that protect traditional rivalries and make geographic sense, plus every team will have at least one home-and-home with every other team in the conference at least once every four years.

If you want, each team could have two rotating home-and-homes per year with the other two divisions. That would give you an 18-game schedule and guarantee that every team will have at least one home-and-home with every other team in the conference at least once every other year.

94duke
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
My proposal (which I've floated here and elsewhere before, but what the heck, I'll say it again) would go something like this....

Split the ACC into three divisions for basketball:

The Big East Division: Boston College, Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech

The Big Four Division: Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest

The Football Division (a.k.a. "SEC Lite"): Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami

Each team plays every other team in its division twice.

Each team plays every team in the other divisions once, PLUS each team has one rotating home-and-home per year with the other two divisions.

Voila, a 16-game schedule with divisions that protect traditional rivalries and make geographic sense, plus every team will have at least one home-and-home with every other team in the conference at least once every four years.

If you want, each team could have two rotating home-and-homes per year with the other two divisions. That would give you an 18-game schedule and guarantee that every team will have at least one home-and-home with every other team in the conference at least once every other year.

You could even leave it as a 14 game schedule (no rotating home-and-home) to allow for more OOC games.

BamaBlueDevil
01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
You could even leave it as a 14 game schedule (no rotating home-and-home) to allow for more OOC games.
I love the three division idea, and the 14 conference games, but how would you seed for the ACC Tourney?

94duke
01-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I love the three division idea, and the 14 conference games, but how would you seed for the ACC Tourney?

My guess is that seeding for the ACC tourney would not have to change. The schedules are already unbalanced, so I don't see a big difference there.

I think, IIR, the SEC tried to seed their tourney by assigning seeds per division. I don't know if they still do it that way.

I thought of something else, too. I doubt the conference could just shorten the ACC schedule to 14 games very quickly. My guess is that the TV contracts are based on the 16 game schedule, so the ACC has to provide a set number of games. I guess any change in the number of games would have to happen with a new TV contract. Also, since the ACC is all about making money (see expansion), I doubt we will ever shorten the schedule. More games = more TV money.