PDA

View Full Version : Apple's New Product: iPad

bigj4194
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
So Apple just released their new tablet computer...or more like an enlarged iPodTouch/iPhone. I just wanted to see other people's thoughts.

As for me...I am completely unimpressed by this product. While I knew this product was not supposed to be a full computer I was seriously expecting something more than just an iPodTouch with a larger screen and more applications. Sure...the eBook Reader is going to be in color, but i would guess >90% of books are in B&W. Yes you can play games on it...cool. Yes you have email and iWork...but if you have an iphone and a laptop why wouldn't you just use those two instead of the iPad.

Don't get me wrong, this is not meant to be a bash of Apple. I love Apple. I am usually one of their early adaptors of nearly every new technology, but in this case I have some major issues with it. The pricing of this device is high. The name is wholly uncreative. You can't multitask on it, meaning you close an application it has to completely reopen the next time. There is no finger-script-to-text feature. I just think they could have done a lot more with this product and really set it apart from everything else on the market currently.

I was going to save some money to buy this but instead I think I'll just purchase a Kindle and keep using my iPhone and laptop.

That's just my $0.02.

allenmurray
01-27-2010, 03:52 PM
I still enjoy the iRack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

Pacer
01-27-2010, 04:02 PM
No flash, no multitasking, no camera...

Very weak in my eyes.

dukegirlinsc
01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I mean if I had the extra money laying around and had nothing else to spend money on, I'd get one....because I love Apple and they can do no wrong in my eyes.

...But I refuse to buy an iPhone.

cspan37421
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
slashdot has some great posts about this. I don't have the nerve to repeat some of them here, but scroll down to see the joke about working with Sprint's WiMax network.

uncwdevil
01-27-2010, 05:55 PM
I was hoping they would announce an iPhone for Verizon today.

Oh well...

hurleyfor3
01-27-2010, 07:05 PM
You can't multitask on it, meaning you close an application it has to completely reopen the next time.

Duh, of course you can multitask. Just buy two.

moonpie23
01-27-2010, 07:24 PM
not impressed......i've got a macbook pro and an iphone...why would i need this?

no camera? :eek:

hc5duke
01-27-2010, 08:20 PM
not to mention... twitter users let apple know what they think of the name :rolleyes:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=48&pictureid=442

DukeUsul
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad

8 Things that suck about the iPad

I have to agree. No Flash again makes it an incapable netbook replacement.

hc5duke
01-27-2010, 08:58 PM
http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad

8 Things that suck about the iPad

I have to agree. No Flash again makes it an incapable netbook replacement.

As a webdev, I think not having Flash is a step forward rather than a bad thing... Javascript is the future, really. I think I already expected most of these "things that suck", but I really didn't think they would ship this without some USB/Firewire/HDMI output.

DukeUsul
01-27-2010, 09:05 PM
As a webdev, I think not having Flash is a step forward rather than a bad thing... Javascript is the future, really. I think I already expected most of these "things that suck", but I really didn't think they would ship this without some USB/Firewire/HDMI output.

I'm certainly no fan of Flash.... however Flash video has certainly been a big improvement over the world of competing Java, WMP, Quicktime, Real, etc. players for web video content.

I'm all for abandoning Flash and it's bloat, but trying to do it by brute force by not supporting what is the current de facto web video format is dumb dumb dumb. I wanna watch Hulu and Youtube on my iPad and I can't do it.

PSurprise
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Sounds like a remedy for incontinence.

riverside6
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I still enjoy the iRack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

Oh, but the iPad was dreamed up on Mad TV too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzhXMbOWHE

kexman
01-27-2010, 11:34 PM
It does seem like it is missing some obvious functions, but if you would buy a kindle I would think this is a step up even with the limitations. Of course it is $500 vs $260 so it is almost double the price.

Would you need to pay a monthly internet provider fee for the ipad as well as your smart phone?

I don't even have a smart phone yet

blazindw
01-28-2010, 01:02 AM
I was hoping they would announce an iPhone for Verizon today.

Oh well...

Usually iPhone announcements come out in June, so I'd sit tight until then. I have a feeling that June will be a good month for iPhone and VZW lovers.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Usually iPhone announcements come out in June, so I'd sit tight until then. I have a feeling that June will be a good month for iPhone and VZW lovers.
Verizon ticked me off yesterday. With Alltel, I paid $10 to backup my phone numbers and updates were free whenever I wanted them as long as I brought in my media to "prove" I'd done it once. Verizon wants $10 each time, no redo's.

YourLandlord
01-28-2010, 01:21 AM
it doesn't crash.

it gets the cramps.

soccerstud2210
01-28-2010, 08:59 AM
apple always does this with their releases. they always release something that is cool and get ppl to jump on. then a little down the road, a new version. to get more ppl to jump on and get the buyers of version 1 to upgrade to version 2. they are pros with in this!

I love apple! i have an iphone as well as macbook. and if i come across 500-600 dollars i'll throw it down for ipad (so weird. dont get me started on this name. what happened to just "slice"... sheesh. )

it seems like this one was a bit rushed or something. a little over-hyped. and imo, disappointing, but apple is apple and im pretty sure they know what they are doing

allenmurray
01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Verizon ticked me off yesterday. With Alltel, I paid $10 to backup my phone numbers and updates were free whenever I wanted them as long as I brought in my media to "prove" I'd done it once. Verizon wants $10 each time, no redo's.

Come to Durham. I've had just the opposite experience. They've comped backups and transfers for me each time. Last week the hinge broke on my son's phone. It was out of warranty (and wasn't a warranty item anyway). The clerk told me we'd have to pay the $50 deductible on the insurance for a new phone. I politely told the store manager I thought it was poor product design for that hinge to break - she agreed and in minutes we had a new phone gratis. During the Duke vs. Maryland football game my phone got soaked (it was in my pocket, but the rain during that game was crazy). Water damage is explicitly not covered - I was given a new phone anyway. I've found their customer service to be exceptional - something I never thought I'd say about a cel phone company.

alteran
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Looks like Apple coughed up a big 'ol furball for most people. The Fanbois giveth, and the Fanbois taketh away.

I'm hearing a lot of disappointment with the iPad-- particularly among the technorati (who are clearly one of its intended audiences). But the less technophilic seem underwhelmed as well. I think the gamut runs from "innovative, but not particularly so-- I might get it but I'll probably wait until 2.0" to "it's just a big ol' iTouch."

Yeah, it's a big ol' iTouch, so I get the angst when you're expecting... THE... NEXT... iPHONE. (Cue choir of angels.)

But I really think people are missing what's significant about iPad. First, it's a consumer device, not a true computer. Think iPod, not MacBook. It's not going to replace your computer, or your laptop. It might not even replace your netbook (although for most people, it really could).

It's going to replace the newspaper at the kitchen table while you're eating your cereal. It's going to replace the MP3 players AND the novels on the subway. It's going to replace magazines in people's bathrooms. (I know, yuck.) It's going to replace the computer at the cafe. It's going to replace printing out recipes or directions for home projects.

It's going to be the device you actually DO pull out on the airplane, not the one that you THINK you will and then don't because there isn't really room. It's going to be the thing you pull out of your carry case to kill 15 minutes because you actually brought it with you, rather than a netbook, which is just barely too bulky and weighs a little too much and the battery is always at 20%.

Many will find iPad works good enough for taking notes in class. You'll be able to do basic computer tasks on it-- not in that technically-you-can-but-not-really way of your iPhone, but in the it's-not-optimal-but-it-IS-workable way of a netbook.

I think the biggest problem is that the world doesn't QUITE think like this yet. After a couple more years of netbooks and seeing the ergonomic limitations maybe, but not now. It reminds me of TiVo. I tried for years to get people to buy the bloody* things. "But I can already tape with my VCR!" Sigh. Well, sure you can, but you don't. And you sure as heck don't label everything, collate it, delete it on a schedule, catch the program shifts, and then scour through the TV schedule to record everything Joss Whedon does. With TiVo you do, and will.

Without doing anything that couldn't already TECHNICALLY be done, it was transformative. But the bottom line was that people weren't ready to pay what it was worth yet.

Of course, everyone has one now, they just shell out 12 bucks a month for eternity to their good friends at TimeWarner/Comcast rather than coughing up 350 bucks to TiVo. Apple ran into the same problem with iPhone-- they quickly ran out of people willing to cough up $500. Now it's subsidized just like every other phone.

I really think that in 5 years, people will be wandering around their lives, doing 85% of what they currently do on computers, with something remarkably similar to an iPad. It may cost $70 dollars. It may carry a different brand, even. It may come for "free" with a Verizon data plan that costs 35 bucks a month. But it'll be remarkably similar to an iPad.

Of course, hopefully by then Apple will have reconsidered the name.

--alteran

* no, I'm not Brit-o-phile, I just don't want the language filter wankathon.

allenmurray
01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
It's going to replace the newspaper at the kitchen table while you're eating your cereal. It's going to replace the MP3 players AND the novels on the subway. It's going to replace magazines in people's bathrooms. (I know, yuck.) It's going to replace the computer at the cafe. It's going to replace printing out recipes or directions for home projects.

It's going to be the device you actually DO pull out on the airplane, not the one that you THINK you will and then don't because there isn't really room.

It reminds me of TiVo.

I guess I am now officially old.

I don't want anything to replace my newspaper at the breakfast table - the newpaper is the right technology for that situation. I don't want anything to replace the novel I pull out on the subway - the paperback novel is the right technology for that situation (as well as for the airplane situation you later reference). I don't need anything to replace my mp3 player (the one for which I paid $9, which holds 1000 songs, and which runs on a aaa batery) because it does its job quite well.

I am not averse to new technology. But I am also a big fan of using tools appropriate to the task. Inventing a complicated and expensive tool to replace an uncomplicated and inexpensive tool is not progress - it is consumerism. What does the iPad do that a current technology does not already do?

alteran
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM

No, no no, you've got it all wrong-- you're not officially old. You're officially a CURMUDGEON. ;)

Consider me the expert on curmudgeonry. :D

TiVo actually made us watch far less TV. It's counter-intuitive, but it's true. With that much convenience, we became much more selective. Prior to TiVo, our mental outlook was more "watch it now or we'll miss it." Without really thinking in these terms, we cut time out of our schedule specifically for TV as a matter of routine, and always watched in certain time slots. It's a habit. We'd watch reruns fairly often, you know, just because.

When it's all just stacked up our DVR, we quit carving out blocks of time for TV. Now we watch just when it's convenient.

Or, surprisingly frequently, we don't. Think of all those people you know with Netflix that have DVD's lying around they got 2 months ago but haven't gotten around to watching. TiVo erases stuff like that in about two weeks.

You make a good point about right tool for right activity. In every activity, the "right tool" is superior if it could be beamed right into your hands. But frequently, you just won't have it. iPad's kind of a Swiss Army Knife here. In lieu of the "correct" tool, it will be "good enough."

And if you choose the newspaper out of convenience when you'd rather be catching up on email, the iPad IS the correct tool at breakfast, not the paper. If you're stuck on the subway and you keep forgetting to replace that novel so you keep rereading it, you might want the iPad.

Of course, if you just want to sleep under something on the subway, the newspaper really is your first choice.

Until there's the iNap.

moonpie23
01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Think iPod, not MacBook.

but i've GOT an ipod in my iphone, AND a macbook

It's going to replace the newspaper at the kitchen table while you're eating your cereal.

my macbook pro is on the kitchen table

It's going to replace the MP3 players AND the novels on the subway.

i've got that in my iphone and i don't read novels in the subway

t's going to replace magazines in people's bathrooms.

ummm...again....macbook pro (it's really not that much bigger than this stupid oversized iphone.....not only that...when i AM reading in the bathroom, maybe i wanna read SOMETHING that contains flash, or maybe i want to actually email someone a link from the article (multi-tasking as difficult as the iphone - no better)

It's going to replace the computer at the cafe

no, people want a COMPUTER at the cafe, not a freaking book reader

It's going to replace printing out recipes or directions for home projects.

macbook PRO sitting with the recipe right there and linked to the printer.

It's going to be the device you actually DO pull out on the airplane, not the one that you THINK you will and then don't because there isn't really room.

macbook pro works FINE in coach as well as first class ( are you sure you don't have one of those hulking dell laptops? :) )

It's going to be the thing you pull out of your carry case to kill 15 minutes because you actually brought it with you, rather than a netbook, which is just barely too bulky and weighs a little too much and the battery is always at 20%.

dood....iphone..... AND a camera....

Many will find iPad works good enough for taking notes in class.

who doesn't take their laptop to class?

It reminds me of TiVo.

ok...tivo was a cool invention, but the ipad is hardly revolutionary in ability.

I really think that in 5 years, people will be wandering around their lives, doing 85% of what they currently do on computers, with something remarkably similar to an iPad.

absolutely......but it will have a camera, multi - tasking and it will have flash capability as well as an hdmi output.

and HOPEFULLY - it won't be tied to AT & T

look......check my posts....i am a HUGE Apple guy......been there since 90. But this stupid thing made me as mad as finding out that the Iphone didn't have MMS or VIDEO.....

Apple's sposed to be the innovator.....the BLU-RAY compared to the lame VHS pc efforts..

ugh......i want apple to do well, but this one is a moose...

bluebear
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree with alteran..I'm a bit disappointed in the ipad and wish that it had included a camera, multitasking, etc but I'll still likely buy one despite having an iphone and a macbook. The reality is that most people don't use their computers to do any serious computing..they use it mainly for surfing the web, watching video, email, etc. Additionally, people carry books, newspapers, magazines for reading. Here is a device that packages all of those things together with instant access to whatever type of media one wants at that time. It duplicates all of the benefits of a netbook and an e-reader and puts it into a much nicer package. It's perfect for mass media consumption.. I currently try to do this on my iphone but it's a bit too small. The apps will be what makes this a success and fill the existing holes. I think this is the general type of device that many companies will look to produce over the next few years..

DukeUsul
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure how anyone is going to use this to type notes in class or work in the coffee shop. The only position you can type on is reclined with it on your knees. If you lay it on a desk or table, the back is rounded and the whole damn thing wobbles as you type.

http://gizmodo.com/5458397/the-ipads-onscreen-typing-solution-isnt-a-solution-at-all

DukeUsul
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree with alteran..I'm a bit disappointed in the ipad and wish that it had included a camera, multitasking, etc but I'll still likely buy one despite having an iphone and a macbook. The reality is that most people don't use their computers to do any serious computing..they use it mainly for surfing the web, watching video, email, etc. Additionally, people carry books, newspapers, magazines for reading. Here is a device that packages all of those things together with instant access to whatever type of media one wants at that time. It duplicates all of the benefits of a netbook and an e-reader and puts it into a much nicer package. It's perfect for mass media consumption.. I currently try to do this on my iphone but it's a bit too small. The apps will be what makes this a success and fill the existing holes. I think this is the general type of device that many companies will look to produce over the next few years..

Except for all that web video that's out there......

allenmurray
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.gadgetshop.com/OutdoorGadgets/OutdoorSurvival/Wenger+Giant+Swiss+Army+Knife/EPN291773

bluebear
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM

I still manage to watch a ton of video on my iphone without flash...I think this is only a temporary problem..

allenmurray
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
No, no no, you've got it all wrong-- you're not officially old. You're officially a CURMUDGEON. ;)

Consider me the expert on curmudgeonry. :D

TiVo actually made us watch far less TV. It's counter-intuitive, but it's true. With that much convenience, we became much more selective. Prior to TiVo, our mental outlook was more "watch it now or we'll miss it." Without really thinking in these terms, we cut time out of our schedule specifically for TV as a matter of routine, and always watched in certain time slots. It's a habit. We'd watch reruns fairly often, you know, just because.

When it's all just stacked up our DVR, we quit carving out blocks of time for TV. Now we watch just when it's convenient.

Or, surprisingly frequently, we don't. Think of all those people you know with Netflix that have DVD's lying around they got 2 months ago but haven't gotten around to watching. TiVo erases stuff like that in about two weeks.

You make a good point about right tool for right activity. In every activity, the "right tool" is superior if it could be beamed right into your hands. But frequently, you just won't have it. iPad's kind of a Swiss Army Knife here. In lieu of the "correct" tool, it will be "good enough."

And if you choose the newspaper out of convenience when you'd rather be catching up on email, the iPad IS the correct tool at breakfast, not the paper. If you're stuck on the subway and you keep forgetting to replace that novel so you keep rereading it, you might want the iPad.

Of course, if you just want to sleep under something on the subway, the newspaper really is your first choice.

Until there's the iNap.

Other than live sports (which I only enjoy live - I just can't get to the point where I can record a game, avoid the score, pretend I don't know it is already over, and enjoy it with the same eagerness of a live event) I doubt I watch 2 hours of television a week. Unless there is something on that I already know I want to watch I simply don't turn it on. However, we do have a DVR, and enjoy it for the few shows we do watch regularly as it allows us to start the show 15 minutes late and watch with no commercials. But not for sports - I like the cmmercials in live sports events - they are just the right length of time to go get a beer.

hurleyfor3
01-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Other than live sports (which I only enjoy live - I just can't get to the point where I can record a game, avoid the score, pretend I don't know it is already over, and enjoy it with the same eagerness of a live event).

Unless it's Duke 104, Kentucky 103 on ESPN Classic.

Anyway, iHaven't seen the need to buy any sort of iProduct yet, and iDon't see this changing with the iPad. However, iWish iHad the Apple stock iSold back in 2004. :(

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 12:02 AM

I don't want anything to replace my newspaper at the breakfast table - the newpaper is the right technology for that situation. I don't want anything to replace the novel I pull out on the subway - the paperback novel is the right technology for that situation (as well as for the airplane situation you later reference). I don't need anything to replace my mp3 player (the one for which I paid $9, which holds 1000 songs, and which runs on a aaa batery) because it does its job quite well.

I am not averse to new technology. But I am also a big fan of using tools appropriate to the task. Inventing a complicated and expensive tool to replace an uncomplicated and inexpensive tool is not progress - it is consumerism. What does the iPad do that a current technology does not already do?
More important than replacing the newspaper is the idea that this replaces the text book. Let's face it, text books are a very poor tool. They simply cannot provide the information that something like the iPad can, and that is an awesome tool.

What can an iPad do that a text book can't?
- Provide up to date, accurate information on ANY given subject at a fraction of the cost it takes to publish text books
- Save schools systems gajillions
- It can connect to the interweb and suck down tons of cool content to accompany the text.
- Automatically submit school work and home work to a central server where objective content can be automatically graded.
- Randomize questions from a database so that every student takes a unique test, with unique answers eliminating cheating on in-class tests

This is most certainly not about consumerism, that's Dell, Gateway, HP's business model. This is about innovation and while I'm ultimately disappointed in the first incarnation, I think it's going to be really exciting to see what comes of this.

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 12:03 AM
From an article on CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/28/wired.missing.from.ipad/index.html)

In fact, we think the lack of Flash in the iPad will be the thing that finally kills Flash itself. If the iPad is as popular as the iPhone and iPod Touch, Flash-capable browsers will eventually be in the minority.

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 12:04 AM
THANKFULLY, Not all web videos are in Flash.

riverside6
01-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Mark Cuban had some interesting thoughts on his blog about the iPad...

http://blogmaverick.com/2010/01/28/talking-the-ipad-kids-making-money-and-video/

elvis14
01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Looks like Apple coughed up a big 'ol furball for most people. The Fanbois giveth, and the Fanbois taketh away.

I'm hearing a lot of disappointment with the iPad-- particularly among the technorati (who are clearly one of its intended audiences). But the less technophilic seem underwhelmed as well. I think the gamut runs from "innovative, but not particularly so-- I might get it but I'll probably wait until 2.0" to "it's just a big ol' iTouch."

Yeah, it's a big ol' iTouch, so I get the angst when you're expecting... THE... NEXT... iPHONE. (Cue choir of angels.)

But I really think people are missing what's significant about iPad. First, it's a consumer device, not a true computer. Think iPod, not MacBook. It's not going to replace your computer, or your laptop. It might not even replace your netbook (although for most people, it really could).

It's going to be the device you actually DO pull out on the airplane, not the one that you THINK you will and then don't because there isn't really room. It's going to be the thing you pull out of your carry case to kill 15 minutes because you actually brought it with you, rather than a netbook, which is just barely too bulky and weighs a little too much and the battery is always at 20%.

Many will find iPad works good enough for taking notes in class. You'll be able to do basic computer tasks on it-- not in that technically-you-can-but-not-really way of your iPhone, but in the it's-not-optimal-but-it-IS-workable way of a netbook.

I think the biggest problem is that the world doesn't QUITE think like this yet. After a couple more years of netbooks and seeing the ergonomic limitations maybe, but not now. It reminds me of TiVo. I tried for years to get people to buy the bloody* things. "But I can already tape with my VCR!" Sigh. Well, sure you can, but you don't. And you sure as heck don't label everything, collate it, delete it on a schedule, catch the program shifts, and then scour through the TV schedule to record everything Joss Whedon does. With TiVo you do, and will.

Without doing anything that couldn't already TECHNICALLY be done, it was transformative. But the bottom line was that people weren't ready to pay what it was worth yet.

Of course, everyone has one now, they just shell out 12 bucks a month for eternity to their good friends at TimeWarner/Comcast rather than coughing up 350 bucks to TiVo. Apple ran into the same problem with iPhone-- they quickly ran out of people willing to cough up $500. Now it's subsidized just like every other phone.

I really think that in 5 years, people will be wandering around their lives, doing 85% of what they currently do on computers, with something remarkably similar to an iPad. It may cost $70 dollars. It may carry a different brand, even. It may come for "free" with a Verizon data plan that costs 35 bucks a month. But it'll be remarkably similar to an iPad.

Of course, hopefully by then Apple will have reconsidered the name.

--alteran

* no, I'm not Brit-o-phile, I just don't want the language filter wankathon.

Alteran has hit the nail on the head here. Is the iPad everything everyone hoped it would be? Nope but neither was the first iPhone. My cube at work is in an open engineering area (we don't have walls). As I sit here in my open cube and look at the engineers around me what do I see? IPhones everywhere. They all have them. They all bought them when they first came out and they all updated them when newer versions came out. Sure they are geeks but the general population followed these geeks b/c the iPhone is that good. I see Macbooks too. Our company buys them now but it used to be that if you wanted a Mac you had to buy it yourself. They did. I've already heard several say they will be buying the iPad the day it comes out.

The iPhone was and is a disruptive technology. The iPad is an extention of that technology and it will allow Apple to have continued success. The failings of version 1 will be ignored by many and will disappear in future versions.

I'm not an Apple guy myself (yet). But I'll be watching the iPad and wouldn't be surprised to see me pick one up. Not v1 but v2 or 3 becaue it's going to make change. The comparison to the DVR is an excellent one, BTW. Oh and I always read in the bathroom, even here at work :D. I'm not taking a laptop into the bathroom with me. A Kindle or iPad...I would if I had one.

alteran
01-29-2010, 12:01 PM

but i've GOT an ipod in my iphone, AND a macbook

my macbook pro is on the kitchen table

i've got that in my iphone and i don't read novels in the subway

ummm...again....macbook pro (it's really not that much bigger than this stupid oversized iphone.....not only that...when i AM reading in the bathroom, maybe i wanna read SOMETHING that contains flash, or maybe i want to actually email someone a link from the article (multi-tasking as difficult as the iphone - no better)

no, people want a COMPUTER at the cafe, not a freaking book reader

macbook PRO sitting with the recipe right there and linked to the printer.

macbook pro works FINE in coach as well as first class ( are you sure you don't have one of those hulking dell laptops? :) )

dood....iphone..... AND a camera....

who doesn't take their laptop to class?

ok...tivo was a cool invention, but the ipad is hardly revolutionary in ability.

absolutely......but it will have a camera, multi - tasking and it will have flash capability as well as an hdmi output.

and HOPEFULLY - it won't be tied to AT & T

look......check my posts....i am a HUGE Apple guy......been there since 90. But this stupid thing made me as mad as finding out that the Iphone didn't have MMS or VIDEO.....

Apple's sposed to be the innovator.....the BLU-RAY compared to the lame VHS pc efforts..

ugh......i want apple to do well, but this one is a moose...

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been too verklempt. Your 23-point, multi-sectional response in 12-part harmony has made me deeply nostalgic for the glory days of the PPB. (Sniff.)

Our children will grow up in a world without the PPB. (Sigh.) Will somebody please think of the children? :D

In all seriousness, one of the more confusing things about this post is that while the whole flow of it seems to be refutation and disagreement, near the end you concede the primary thrust of what I said-- this is pretty much the shape of things to come. That's what Apple nailed here. And I totally agree with you that it should multi-task and flash (I just don't ultimately consider these deal-breakers).

I see our positions as actually pretty close.

Here's where some of your missing Apple innovation is-- by and large, the rest of the world has seen fit to design tablets which have the carrying profile of a netbook (or worse). And they keep doing it. Nobody buys them, because frankly, if that's the choice, give me a netbook.

But iPad weighs half as much, clocks in with standard web resolution (1024-by-768), and has a carrying profile smaller than most magazines (although thicker). I think that fills a big, underserved niche between something that weighs 6 pounds and requires a computer bag, and something the size of a longish deck of cards with a resolution 1/4 of web standard.

It's funny how the self-proclaimed "Apple folks" here seem bitterly disappointed with iPad, while the Apple agnostics and skeptics seem to be the ones that think Apple's on to something. I'm not sure what that means, but it is interesting to me.

Bottom line-- this is pretty much the form factor that people are going to be using for much/most of their web surfing five years from now-- a design that functionally didn't exist until three days ago. Despite being someone generally considered an Apple iconoclast, yeah, I think that's big news-- not a dreadful "moose" of a disappointment. (Great image, by the way).

YMMV.

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
...this is pretty much the shape of things to come.
I don't think we can put enough emphasis on this point. One of the marvels of Steve Jobs 2nd career at Apple has been his vision and his ability to develop a long-term plan to deliver that vision. There are subtleties here, that some outside of manufacturing or software development may not appreciate but Apple is a pro at this, and to me it's one of the coolest (and under appreciated) things about the company. It's all about refactoring.

The Cube (a commercial flop) was a prototype for smaller footprint machines that eventually led to the development of the MacMini.

The MacMini not only gave a relatively cheap option for PC users to, but it also served as a prototype for AppleTV and Time Capsule. AirPort Base Station technology was also used in Time Capsule.

MacBook Air technology reused in iPad, along with technology from iPhone which fed technology into iTouch.

Why is all of this relevant? Because the iPad is not the goal, it is not the finish line. It is a milestone on Jobs' long term plan and it definitely serves a purpose and I'd wager that it's already a success. Get the device to the users, see what they like and what they don't, then adapt and improve. THis is something Apple has done consistently throughout Jobs' 2nd career.

Critics might consider stepping away from the trees and looking at the forest. The landscape is changing and the iPad has already influenced the future.

allenmurray
01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
The landscape is changing and the iPad has already influenced the future.

Are you on their advertising staff? If not, you should be. The iPad has already influenced the future? Matbe just a tiny bit over the top?

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Are you on their advertising staff? If not, you should be. The iPad has already influenced the future? Matbe just a tiny bit over the top?
Not on the advertising staff. Just a nerd that's interested in hardware and software and how humans interact with such systems. Ultimately, time will tell but Apple has a very strong track record over the past nine years when it comes to introducing hardware that repurposes existing technology to change the way people think about tools.

I'd put my money on Apple, not someone like Bill Ray (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/23/iphone_will_fail/).

hc5duke
01-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Steve Jobs is clearly in violation of the Temporal Prime Directive

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=48&pictureid=443

alteran
01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Steve Jobs is clearly in violation of the Temporal Prime Directive

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=48&pictureid=443

It's even called a PADD (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/PADD)!

And doesn't this form factor (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Sarah_Sisko_reconstruction.jpg) seem... insanely great, though a little bulky?

DukeUsul
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm still unsure of what the future of text entry into this form factor will be like. It's too big to hold and use your thumbs. If you are sitting like I am right now with it on your lap, then it's probably comfortable to rest your hands on it, but the screen is pointing at the ceiling. If I lay it flat on the table, same thing. About the only way it could be useful for typing is if I hold my legs, knees up, at an angle and prop it up. But then how convenient is typing with the "keyboard" at a 45 degree angle?

This might be a revolutionary form factor, but the beauty of the laptop is that it allows text entry with a comfortable hand position and also a screen pointed directly at my eyes. I'm not sold on how the iPad improves on this.

allenmurray
01-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm still unsure of what the future of text entry into this form factor will be like. It's too big to hold and use your thumbs. If you are sitting like I am right now with it on your lap, then it's probably comfortable to rest your hands on it, but the screen is pointing at the ceiling. If I lay it flat on the table, same thing. About the only way it could be useful for typing is if I hold my legs, knees up, at an angle and prop it up. But then how convenient is typing with the "keyboard" at a 45 degree angle?

This might be a revolutionary form factor, but the beauty of the laptop is that it allows text entry with a comfortable hand position and also a screen pointed directly at my eyes. I'm not sold on how the iPad improves on this.

In the future your wrists will bend differently and your eyes will be able to move at different angles. The problem is that you are living in the present - the iPad is already shaping the future! ;)

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Wait. You have an iPad already?

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
In the future your wrists will bend differently and your eyes will be able to move at different angles. The problem is that you are living in the present - the iPad is already shaping the future! ;)
LMAO.

The problem could also be that people are mistaking the intended use of the device. What do you mean it can't hammer in nails or balance my check book? Apple is company full of idiots! How could they design such a stupid, inferior device. Pshaw. The iPad will never catch on, it's destined to fail.

2535Miles
01-29-2010, 07:10 PM

I be the text entry serves it's purpose just fine. I'd imagine that users will spend their time reviewing content with the iPad, not creating content.

DukeUsul
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Wait. You have an iPad already?

You know, I realized after re-reading that some might think I meant that. I meant that if you were to use it sitting like I am right now with my laptop. On the couch, legs extended onto the ottoman, laptop on my things. I was imagining doing the same with an iPad.

littlejohn
01-29-2010, 08:06 PM
I am surprised at some of the comments posted concerning the new iPad, as if some people are making a judgement about the device without actually checking out what it does.

In no particular order:

1) Typing: If you looked at the case Apple designed for the Pad, you'll see it folds open and stays at a 45 degree angle for ease of typing.

2) Camera ? Seriously you won't buy one because it can't take a picture ? Do you actually want to hold up a flat 10 x 8 inch Pad to snap a picture ?? I doubt it. In fact, I would venture to guess most if not all that made this comment use either the tiny cell phone camera, or have a compact camera, and wouldn't dream of having a camera with a full slr body, much less hold up something this size to take a picture.

If you are talking about video, that's a loser for 2 reasons. Its such a bandwidth hog, it wouldn't work very well, and Apple ran studies of this feature, finding the vast majority of people don't like to see themselves on video.

3) Some made the argument it won't do the same things their mac book pro does. Well at 2, or 3+, or 5 times the price (depending on model) I would hope not.

However, for people who don't really need the power of a full blown laptop on the road, and most don't, it might be perfect. For $500/$600, I can have a mini computer with all my customer contacts, maps, email, word processing, etc - NO contract / $15 month for limited data / wi fi otherwise....(Will wait til I can actually play with one before I make the final judgement.)

4) I HATE at&t, so I have only looked longingly at the iPhone, however, maybe some of you who have one, wouldn't see much of a use for the iPad as well.

5) For personal travel, it seems to be the perfect device. For example, this fall we are off to Australia & New Zealand. With an iPad I can watch video, read, email, have addresses of friends to send snotty postcards off to (The weather is here, wish you were beautiful, etc.), searches et al.

6) Lastly, with most devices like this it will be the apps that drive it. My prediction, assuming production comes in March & April as projected with no hitches is 3-5 mil sold in 2010, which would be more than all of the 3 Kindle versions sold to date in total. Not a bad introduction.

DukeUsul
01-29-2010, 08:58 PM
1) Typing: If you looked at the case Apple designed for the Pad, you'll see it folds open and stays at a 45 degree angle for ease of typing.

This does nothing to address my concerns on the typing. The most comfortable position to type is NOT on a 45 degree inclined keyboard. Is the keyboard on your computer inclined at 45 degrees? I have to think my wrists would be cramping up within 10 minutes.

I'm definitely going to go play with one at the Apple Store when I have the opportunity to test out my concerns. But I just don't see how I could take this on personal travel and still type up huge posts on my favorite Internet bulletin boards without my wrists cramping up. Or check my work email on these trips and respond in something more than what you'd thumb in on a blackberry. I'm sold on a netbook for these use cases but not yet on the iPad.

And before you say "well that's not what it's for." Well, Mr. Jobs said it's better than a laptop AND better than a phone. Frankly, I don't think it does either of those things well. Right now, it seems that its strongest point is as an e-Reader.

Deslok
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
And before you say "well that's not what it's for." Well, Mr. Jobs said it's better than a laptop AND better than a phone. Frankly, I don't think it does either of those things well. Right now, it seems that its strongest point is as an e-Reader.

I won't go into talking about anything else, but as an ereader, its not a good setup. First and foremost, is of course the eink issue. Its simply much better for avid readers for ease of reading and battery consumption. The other thing is the oddity of introducing the iBook store(or whatever it is). For your ooh ahh ohh demonstration of it, you show how you can easily purchased and download Ted Kennedy's book, that costs $15 when its $10 from the Amazon store. And the price for most books will be in the $13-15 range from their deals with publishers. And yet it will run the Kindle app software, so users can get the books 30% cheaper through that. So who on earth will buy from the iBook store, aside from folks willing to overpay because its from Apple?

This isn't intended as a slam of the iPad. It has merits for doing all sorts of other things. But as an ereader, its a step back from what Amazon, B&N, Sony, and others have done.

YourLandlord
01-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I am surprised at some of the comments posted concerning the new iPad, as if some people are making a judgement about the device without actually checking out what it does.

In no particular order:

2) Camera ? Seriously you won't buy one because it can't take a picture ? Do you actually want to hold up a flat 10 x 8 inch Pad to snap a picture ?? I doubt it. In fact, I would venture to guess most if not all that made this comment use either the tiny cell phone camera, or have a compact camera, and wouldn't dream of having a camera with a full slr body, much less hold up something this size to take a picture.

If you are talking about video, that's a loser for 2 reasons. Its such a bandwidth hog, it wouldn't work very well, and Apple ran studies of this feature, finding the vast majority of people don't like to see themselves on video.

"The best camera is the one you have on you" -- this is the point of a cell phone camera. Of course it would be awesome to have a camera on the ipad.

If it were a forward facing camera, you could google video chat/skype with someone else over your ipads. That would be revolutionary.

5) For personal travel, it seems to be the perfect device. For example, this fall we are off to Australia & New Zealand. With an iPad I can watch video, read, email, have addresses of friends to send snotty postcards off to (The weather is here, wish you were beautiful, etc.), searches et al.

It would be pretty sweet on your trip to take a picture, review and edit it, then send it off to your friends -- directly off one device.

They have a good camera in the iphone, which is tiny. You're telling me they couldn't fit a camera in the much-larger ipad?

Instead, you'll have to take a picture with your camera...and then you're stuck, cause the ipad doesn't have easy USB/flash drive for data transfer.

moonpie23
01-29-2010, 09:43 PM
2) Camera ? Seriously you won't buy one because it can't take a picture ? Do you actually want to hold up a flat 10 x 8 inch Pad to snap a picture ??

uhh....video chat, dude..you can SEE the peeps on the phone call.....it's kinda new...like, last couple of years....

alteran
01-30-2010, 08:29 AM

I don't know for sure, but I assume that the iPad has a keyboard when rotated in "portrait mode," if this supposition is true, you can thumb type in the manner you do on many handhelds.

I also think that you'll be able to use it similarly to that old standby, the medium size spiral top notepad. For short notes you'll hold it with one hand and tap/type with the other. For longer notes, find a flat surface and write/tap your longer notes. For really long notes, you'll need the keyboard plugin and that may still not be optimal.

For quick and dirty basic data entry, I think this could be quite useful. You can stand/walk with this, moving from place to place with no need to sit down, and write basic notes. But for extended notes, you'll probably need a computer.

alteran
01-30-2010, 08:51 AM
uhh....video chat, dude..you can SEE the peeps on the phone call.....it's kinda new...like, last couple of years....

I agree with you on this shortcoming, as well. A lot of folks would use this for Skype-like webcam video. If the whole theme is web-enablement (and that's the main thrust of the device, IMHO), this is another mistake.

moonpie23
01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
if Jobs wants to kill flash, then this ( and excluding it from iphones) could certainly lead to that.

I would have already put my order in for the Ipad IF:

1. It had a cam
2. It multi-tasked
3. it did read flash
4. it had usb, firewire, or hdmi.

i need to be listening to an mp3 recieved by email while video ichatting with the person who sent it and watching their flash video all at the same time..

i haven't checked, but....does it have a built in mic?

DukeUsul
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know for sure, but I assume that the iPad has a keyboard when rotated in "portrait mode," if this supposition is true, you can thumb type in the manner you do on many handhelds.

I also think that you'll be able to use it similarly to that old standby, the medium size spiral top notepad. For short notes you'll hold it with one hand and tap/type with the other. For longer notes, find a flat surface and write/tap your longer notes. For really long notes, you'll need the keyboard plugin and that may still not be optimal.

For quick and dirty basic data entry, I think this could be quite useful. You can stand/walk with this, moving from place to place with no need to sit down, and write basic notes. But for extended notes, you'll probably need a computer.

The keyboard does work in portrait mode, but as this reviewer at Gizmodo who has touched one says, it's still "quite a stretch" to hit the middle letters with your thumbs.

http://gizmodo.com/5458397/the-ipads-onscreen-typing-solution-isnt-a-solution-at-all

littlejohn
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Ok, my error...the cover for the iPad doesn't literally put the screen at a 45 degree angle for typing, it tips it to mimic a typical keyboard.

Again if you want to see your options for a full keyboard, or the protective cover, there are a lot of sites out there where you can see what they actually look like - including apple.com.

Books:

1) Jobs has been interviewed and said he would match Amazon's price of $10 a book. Even if he didn't, Amazon already has a Kindle app for the iPhone and is expected to release a new version especially for the iPad.

2) Announced today that Amazon is in a major squabble with one of their largest publishers, and has pulled all of their books from Amazon. The squabble is over pricing, which may end up being the worst thing iPad does - it drives up the cost of ebooks, which would be the pits !

3) I believe Jobs envisions more than reading text to be available for the iPad. I believe he is looking for embedded video, clips/interviews with authors, actors from movies adapted from a book, etc. Some might pay a premium to have that version of the book, versus simple text.

Video:

Yes video conferencing has been around for eons, and how many people actually use it ? Not many in the grand scheme of things.

Reading:

I am always interested in reading the comments by those who like/prefer eink (Kindle) for reading. We have a Kindle 2, and while its an absolutely terrific ereader, backed by some of the best customer service around with Amazon, like a lot of people I spend a ton of time staring at a lcd computer screen. I don't recall ever getting eye strain from an lcd.

As in all things, we're all different, which is what makes the world go 'round. Not through any fault of its own, I don't think Apple, even if they included every single thing anyone wanted, could live up to the hype of the "Jesus tablet". Jobs wanted to have a category between the phone and the computer, but didn't want to make a cheap net book. He thinks the iPad is better than the netbooks out there. Time will tell if we agree or don't.

2535Miles
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Here's a comparison (http://ipod.about.com/od/ipadcomparisons/a/comparing-ipad-kindle-nook.htm) of some features from About.com.

Deslok
01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Books:

1) Jobs has been interviewed and said he would match Amazon's price of $10 a book. Even if he didn't, Amazon already has a Kindle app for the iPhone and is expected to release a new version especially for the iPad.

Actually, listen carefully to Jobs on this. His quotes are "Our prices will be the same." When pressed if he will be matching Amazon's $10 a book price, he doesn't answer, just repeats that the price at the Amazon and Apple store will be the same. In other words, Jobs is siding with the publishing houses and trying to get the cost of ebooks to rise. That is, I'm sure related to the McMillan/Amazon problem today. Apple's book store won't be offering $10 books.

DukeUsul
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Again if you want to see your options for a full keyboard, or the protective cover, there are a lot of sites out there where you can see what they actually look like - including apple.com.

Yeah I've seen all the add-ons, including the keyboard/dock thing. It hardly addresses my concerns. That's the kind of think I'd put in my office and be able to use when at home. But this thing is supposed to be uber-mobile, so having to lug that keyboard around defeats the purpose.

littlejohn
01-30-2010, 03:43 PM
The protective cover does that; keeps it mobile and allows for a tilt keyboard if you want one

moonpie23
01-30-2010, 03:54 PM
i use video chat every day with a variety of clients and friends. I even stream professional situations live on Ustream from my iphone...

it's a deal breaker for me...

littlejohn
01-30-2010, 04:27 PM
You already have an iPhone and a mac book pro, plus a way to do professional video conferencing, so I wouldn't understand the attraction for you either. However, the iPad wasn't designed to replace either.

Again, not many people video conference on a daily basis, so it doesn't surprise me that Apple ignored that market.

And while laptops are the most popular computer as far as sales (I think), not everyone has one. I have 2 offices, both with desk top computers - 1 a mac & the other a pc - plus a smart phone.

iPad fits in my wheelhouse perfectly as lightweight portable computer for both business & personal road trips. Tunes, email, gps, maps, surfing, contact info, etc

Every device has faults. The iphone has a ton, and look at how many millions they sell. We all try to buy what fits us and/or our lifestyle needs best.

Hell, I still have one of the original Newton's in my closet.

moonpie23
01-30-2010, 07:31 PM
true.....honestly, i bought the iphone 3g, and i had some serious disapointment with it....i fail to see how the 3g did NOT play flash, nor did it do video or mms.. :(

but i bought one for all the OTHER things it would do....and it was just so dam kewl..

it will be interesting to see how the sales go for the ipad...

DukeUsul
01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
iPad fits in my wheelhouse perfectly as lightweight portable computer for both business & personal road trips. Tunes, email, gps, maps, surfing, contact info, etc

Just not all at the same time.

littlejohn
01-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Um...don't want or need to.

littlejohn
02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
A couple more items to consider:

1) Actually, like the iPhone, the new iPad will multi task, depending on your definition. Will it run 4 apps in the background, while you do something else ? NO. Can you listen to music while you read a book, or your email - YES.

2) I read an interesting article over the week-end about why Apple didn't put as many features into their devices as they could. Basically Apple drives to make the devices simpler, and not add a feature just because they can. Techies call it "featuritis", resulting in bloat, like 7 millions lines of code for Microsoft to create a new version of a word processing program.

The author believed Apple's approach is what actually makes their products so successful. Sorry I can't find the link, however, it was a very interesting take on their design process.

moonpie23
02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
The author believed Apple's approach is what actually makes their products so successful. Sorry I can't find the link, however, it was a very interesting take on their design process.

i would liken it more to stringing out the fan base for every dime that it can...

look at the things that were "left out" of the Iphone....then, look at what was on the Iphone 3g, and now of course....the iphone 3gs....

why have your undying fan base buy one phone when they will most likely buy 3....or 4 or 5...?

business savvy at it's highest...

littlejohn
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Agree completely. I had meant to include that exact thought in my last post.

Throw in the fact that a TON of people buy the newest "_____" because this year's model has the red button and their old stinky one has a green button, add a huge dose of Apple's coolness factor, leads to billions in money changing hands.

Coolness aside, Apple does understand that people are drawn to dazzling products. A lot of time people aren't even aware of why they like something so well, it just "fits". The same can be said of color, and why people feel more comfortable with certain colors.

I don't know if anyone saw the latest rumor, buts its supposed to be a picture of an iPad with a camera. May be nothing more than a prototype they discarded, or a total fake.

Just like the Kindle 2 was more pleasing to the eye, I am sure iPad 2.0/3.0/4.0 will all have something we'll lust after.

2535Miles
02-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Here's an interesting video (http://vimeo.com/8217311?hd=1) highlighting some concepts and features of a virtual magazine. It lasts about 8 minutes but well worth watching.

What's important to take away from this video is that the PUBLISHERS are behind this technology. When they start putting their muscle and weight behind eReaders, and not into the conventional print media, big things will happen.

Apple fulfills their need, not creates it. Fulfilling the publishers' needs is something that the extremely limited eInk devices simply cannot (currently) do.

BTW: That video is two months old.

littlejohn
02-07-2010, 12:21 AM
This is a very long (23 minute) video with Rose interviewing 3 tech guys all about the iPad. Best I have seen yet.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/02/06/walt-mossberg-david-carr-and-michael-arrington-talk-ipad-with-charlie-rose/

2535Miles
04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Over 300,000 iPads (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20100405/D9ESU8T00.html) sold on day one (~150 million in sales, not bad).
More than 250,000 electronic books old on day one.

Wholesale numbers for eBooks in Q4, 2009 topped at $55,900,000 (http://www.idpf.org/doc_library/industrystats.htm).
Apple generates anywhere from $1.8 - 3.2 million in eBook sales in one day.

Sure, it's not kosher to compare wholesale numbers to retail, but I still think one has to admit this is a pretty impressive showing from Apple.

The iPad is here to stay.

bluebear
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Over 300,000 iPads (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20100405/D9ESU8T00.html) sold on day one (~150 million in sales, not bad).
More than 250,000 electronic books old on day one.

Wholesale numbers for eBooks in Q4, 2009 topped at $55,900,000 (http://www.idpf.org/doc_library/industrystats.htm).
Apple generates anywhere from $1.8 - 3.2 million in eBook sales in one day.

Sure, it's not kosher to compare wholesale numbers to retail, but I still think one has to admit this is a pretty impressive showing from Apple.

The iPad is here to stay.

I snagged one and love it..The lack of multi-tasking is a big but expected bummer but it's a great device. Unless I am doing serious work or long emails, this will be my primary device for surfing, reading, watching videos, etc both at home and work..

hc5duke
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I got mine mainly for development purposes (at least that's what I tell my wife), but it's great for watching video on the treadmill/elliptical/bike/etc. I imagine once Hulu develops a player for it and people get the 3G model, you'll see a lot more people at the gym with it.

tecumseh
04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I got mine for travel. Just playing with it tonight and it is much smaller than a lap top and could fit into a large coat pocket or a pocket book or man bag. It looks to be really good for watching movies, playing games, checking email and quick responses. Also as a ebook on some trips I always take too many books and you need two or three travel books to get the most out of a lot of trips plus a pleasure reading book.

DevilAlumna
04-08-2010, 01:45 AM
I got the chance to play with one on Saturday, and now I want one. (Tho I may get boo'd out of the office....)

hc5duke
04-08-2010, 02:32 AM
I got the chance to play with one on Saturday, and now I want one. (Tho I may get boo'd out of the office....)

shouldn't you wait til the hPad, sorry, HP Slate comes out? ;) (hey that sounds like "HP is late")

moonpie23
04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
booing against apple is like booing against duke....apple products are better.

apple is a winner.......

jmho

DukeCrow
04-08-2010, 01:51 PM
The only real problem I see with the iPad at this point is the severe lack of RAM. Only having 256MB means that proper multi-tasking will probably never be in its future (at least in this Gen 1 product). It severely cuts back on the usability if you're trying to browse multiple websites at once (lots of tabs open in Safari). The iPad doesn't have enough memory to store all the tabs, so when you switch tabs Safari has to reload the page. Loading and rendering a website is faster than on an iPhone but slower than a budget laptop, much slower if you take into account that most budget laptops have at least 2GB of RAM and can easily keep multiple web sites loaded and in memory without breaking a sweat.

Besides that annoyance, the iPad is a thing of beauty. Wait another generation or two, and it will be ideal.

2535Miles
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Wait another generation or two, and it will be ideal.
Sage advice for any 1.0 product. I waited until the last generation of iPod before finally purchasing one and the patience paid off. A few months later the iPhone came out. :-)

theAlaskanBear
04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
More important than replacing the newspaper is the idea that this replaces the text book. Let's face it, text books are a very poor tool. They simply cannot provide the information that something like the iPad can, and that is an awesome tool.

What can an iPad do that a text book can't?
- Provide up to date, accurate information on ANY given subject at a fraction of the cost it takes to publish text books
- Save schools systems gajillions
- It can connect to the interweb and suck down tons of cool content to accompany the text.
- Automatically submit school work and home work to a central server where objective content can be automatically graded.
- Randomize questions from a database so that every student takes a unique test, with unique answers eliminating cheating on in-class tests

This is most certainly not about consumerism, that's Dell, Gateway, HP's business model. This is about innovation and while I'm ultimately disappointed in the first incarnation, I think it's going to be really exciting to see what comes of this.

BINGO. The iPad is really about building technology platforms for the publishing world. I'm certainly not going to try to read anything of length on an iPhone, and computers really are cumbersome if all you want to do is read/email/an occasional note.

Eventually this will make a very big impact in education market. You know how much I spent on books each semester for class as an undergrad? $500-800, one bad semester hit $1000. Now, if I paid a one time price of 7-800 and then $20-50 for digital rights to textbooks, that would be a HUGE improvement, not to mention ssoooooo nice not loading a backpack with different books everyday, or worrying about selling books back when you dont need them, or trying to take home an entire library over winter/spring break to study.

hc5duke
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
and on a semi-related note (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1845)

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100408.gif

taptap radiation is addicting... but also crash-y