PDA

View Full Version : UMD...Ninja Turtles

DeBlueDevil
01-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I know it is still relatively early in conference play but anyone who has been following the ACC can see that the conference is up in the air as to who can come away with the regular season and tournament championships. I was watching Maryland vs. Miami last night and I'd hate to say it but the Terps look pretty good.

I just feel like ACC fans have been paying a lot of attention to how poorly UNC has been playing lately, how good Duke will be, and the high expectations of a decent G Tech team and Maryland has been flying under the radar. With that said...What's your opinion?

1) are the Ninja Turtles really that good? :confused:

2) does Grevis Vasquez have an argument for POY? :eek:

3) could how we play against UMD effect the Terrance Ross recruitment? :confused:

4) how do you see their record at the end of the year? :rolleyes:

Mr Blue Devil
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
1) This year, it appears any team can bet any other team on any given night.

2) No I don't think he does, unless MD makes a big run the rest of the year. I forget when POY is announced, before the tourney starts at all?

3) No

4) 2nd in ACC and a top 25 team

CDu
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I know it is still relatively early in conference play but anyone who has been following the ACC can see that the conference is up in the air as to who can come away with the regular season and tournament championships. I was watching Maryland vs. Miami last night and I'd hate to say it but the Terps look pretty good.

I just feel like ACC fans have been paying a lot of attention to how poorly UNC has been playing lately, how good Duke will be, and the high expectations of a decent G Tech team and Maryland has been flying under the radar. With that said...What's your opinion?

1) are the Ninja Turtles really that good? :confused:

2) does Grevis Vasquez have an argument for POY? :eek:

3) could how we play against UMD effect the Terrance Ross recruitment? :confused:

4) how do you see their record at the end of the year? :rolleyes:

1. They're pretty good, but they aren't the best team in the conference. They've just had the good fortune of playing mostly weaker ACC teams (BC, NC St, Miami) and/or playing at home. The back half of their schedule gets much tougher, as they play Clemson twice, Duke twice, @FSU, against GT, and @VT.

2. ACC POY? Sure. He's averaging 17.8 pts, 6.2 ast, 4.5 reb, 2:1 a:to and carrying his team. Only Scheyer has better numbers, but Vazquez's numbers have been better than Scheyer's in January. There's a long way to go yet, but Vazquez is certainly in the running.

3. I have absolutely no idea. And I'm not all that worried about it.

4. Their second half is brutal. I could see them doing as badly as winning only 3 more ACC games, and losing 8. I don't think that's likely, but it's certainly possible. I'll guess they win 5-6 more and get to 9-10 ACC wins.

gw67
01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
1. I did not watch some of their early games but Maryland’s play in the ACC has been very good. They defeated Florida State, came within an open 12-foot shot of beating Wake on the road, and they hammered BC on the road and N.C. State and Miami at home. The consistent, high quality of their play is reflected in their high standing in Pomeroy’s ratings as well as in the ACC-only stats. In my view, they are a good team that relies on the steady play of their three seniors and a total team effort to make up for their deficiencies. They are capable of beating any team in the conference but they have to continue to play very well as their talent does not afford them any margin.

2. Based on ACC play, I would conclude that he is the leading candidate for ACC POY (see http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/confonly.html). If the voters base their selection on season play, I would put him in a small group of players just behind Scheyer at this time.

3. ??

4. I agree with CDu. I expect them to win 9-10 games in ACC play. Given the nature of the league this year, that may be good enough for a first round bye in the ACC tourney.

gw67

DeBlueDevil
01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Figured I'd mind as well answer my own questions.

1) I see them as perhaps the 3rd best team in the conference behind (GT & UNC) with the potential to be the 2nd behind us of course. They have some veterans on their team and they are always tough and if UNC continues to struggle and GT continues to be inconsistent I would not be suprised to see the Terps make a run at the conference championships.

2) As much as I don't like him, Grevis is one heck of a player. Although his decisions on the court sometimes are questionable he seems to show up every game giving it his all. Reminds me of Jon with his killer instinct and will to win. Gonna be a nice race to see who gets POY.

3) I don't think it'll effect much either. figured I'd list this question just because it adds fuel to the rivalry but I do wonder sometimes if recruits watch those games and if it effects them. I do think it'd help if we could crush them by 40 like we did last year haha.

4) I think they'll manage to go .500 from here on out and give a good showing in the ACC Tourny. With their remaining conference schedule it doesn't seem like they could possibly come out with a winning record, unless they are indeed better than we've all thought. I still say keep and eye on the turtles.

airowe
01-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Figured I'd mind as well answer my own questions.

1) I see them as perhaps the 3rd best team in the conference behind (GT & UNC) with the potential to be the 2nd behind us of course. They have some veterans on their team and they are always tough and if UNC continues to struggle and GT continues to be inconsistent I would not be suprised to see the Terps make a run at the conference championships.

2) As much as I don't like him, Grevis is one heck of a player. Although his decisions on the court sometimes are questionable he seems to show up every game giving it his all. Reminds me of Jon with his killer instinct and will to win. Gonna be a nice race to see who gets POY.

3) I don't think it'll effect much either. figured I'd list this question just because it adds fuel to the rivalry but I do wonder sometimes if recruits watch those games and if it effects them. I do think it'd help if we could crush them by 40 like we did last year haha.

4) I think they'll manage to go .500 from here on out and give a good showing in the ACC Tourny. With their remaining conference schedule it doesn't seem like they could possibly come out with a winning record, unless they are indeed better than we've all thought. I still say keep and eye on the turtles.

1) Since when is UNC one of the Top 3 teams in the conference? Maryland has played a cupcake ACC Schedule so far. Let's see how they fare against the big boys.

2) Maryland has played a cupcake ACC Schedule so far. Let's see how he fares against the big boys.

3) Ross is not going to Maryland. If I had to bet right now, I'd confidently put my money on UK.

4) Maryland has played a cupcake ACC Schedule so far. Let's see how they fare against the big boys.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
2) Maryland has played a cupcake ACC Schedule so far. Let's see how he fares against the big boys.

Vasquez had a triple double against the best team in the country last year. Cupcake or no cupcake, the kid can play against the best teams. With Maryland being in the upper section of ACC play, he will definitely be a candidate.

While I wouldn't trade any of our three Ss for Vasquez, I will say this: Vasquez is more important to Maryland that any of our players are to Duke. It's nothing against our players - it's merely that Vasquez is the most important player to a team in the ACC.

airowe
01-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Vasquez had a triple double against the best team in the country last year. Cupcake or no cupcake, the kid can play against the best teams. With Maryland being in the upper section of ACC play, he will definitely be a candidate.

While I wouldn't trade any of our three Ss for Vasquez, I will say this: Vasquez is more important to Maryland that any of our players are to Duke. It's nothing against our players - it's merely that Vasquez is the most important player to a team in the ACC.

I agree Vasquez is the most important player on his team and a viable candidate for ACC POY, but being MOP is not the award we're talking about.

What he did last year has no bearing on this year. All I'm saying is, let's wait and see how he does against the top half (or 7 ;)) of the league before we crown him.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I agree Vasquez is the most important player on his team and a viable candidate for ACC POY, but being MOP is not the award we're talking about.

What he did last year has no bearing on this year. All I'm saying is, let's wait and see how he does against the top half (or 7 ;)) of the league before we crown him.

Ummmm...what he did last year has every indication of what he'll do this year. It's the same Vasquez - started the year poorly and then dominated at the season went on. There were a lot of people last year who thought Tony Douglas should have won the award: most important player to his team who had a) amazing stats and b) his team won. This is currently Vasquez. I don't like the guy, but damn - he can play!

This fits Vasquez. And, yes, I know what you're going to say next: "UMD hasn't played a difficult schedule yet. Let's wait til they do." Wow - you guys make speculation a very boring past time.

DeBlueDevil
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree...I think Vasquez is as solid of a player as you will find in the ACC. He competes every night and has continued to improve each year. So to me there is no reason to believe that he will excel in what to me is a weaker ACC than it was last year when he played some of the best ball around.

On to my other answer about UNC. Although I still see UNC as a struggling team and I do not believe they are great. I will say that they have had a BRUTAL schedule up to date. Lets not fool ourselves here I am as big as a Duke fan there is but if we had Texas, Kentucky, and Michigan St. on our schedule would we still only have 3 losses? Bad as their record is they to me are still easily the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. They are young and will have to improve as the year goes on but do not think they won't be a tough out come time to play them in the regular season and/or the acc tourny. That is why I have them in the top 3.

Kedsy
01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
1) I see [Maryland] as perhaps the 3rd best team in the conference behind (GT & UNC) with the potential to be the 2nd behind us of course.

[UNC is] young and will have to improve as the year goes on but do not think they won't be a tough out come time to play them in the regular season and/or the acc tourny. That is why I have them in the top 3.

My problem is with your math. How can Maryland, Georgia Tech, UNC, and Duke all be in the top three?

airowe
01-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree...I think Vasquez is as solid of a player as you will find in the ACC. He competes every night and has continued to improve each year. So to me there is no reason to believe that he will excel in what to me is a weaker ACC than it was last year when he played some of the best ball around.

On to my other answer about UNC. Although I still see UNC as a struggling team and I do not believe they are great. I will say that they have had a BRUTAL schedule up to date. Lets not fool ourselves here I am as big as a Duke fan there is but if we had Texas, Kentucky, and Michigan St. on our schedule would we still only have 3 losses? Bad as their record is they to me are still easily the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. They are young and will have to improve as the year goes on but do not think they won't be a tough out come time to play them in the regular season and/or the acc tourny. That is why I have them in the top 3.

I'll give you those three games (which they got throttled in BTW) but they've been destroyed by 3 other ACC teams. And they lost to CofC. They're not as bad as their record seems but just because they won last night doesn't make them Top 3. Can you really put them ahead of GT and Clemson? Or even Wake?

Duvall
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
On to my other answer about UNC. Although I still see UNC as a struggling team and I do not believe they are great. I will say that they have had a BRUTAL schedule up to date. Lets not fool ourselves here I am as big as a Duke fan there is but if we had Texas, Kentucky, and Michigan St. on our schedule would we still only have 3 losses? Bad as their record is they to me are still easily the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's important to remember that North Carolina's non-conference schedule wasn't actually good. The Heels played a handful of high-profile games and a lot of dreck out of conference. Their overall SOS has improved now that they've entered league play and started facing teams like Wake Forest, Clemson and Georgia Tech. So their schedule over the last few weeks has gotten a lot tougher, and it's also seen the Heels getting slapped around pretty good. UNC isn't at the bottom of the league because of a tough schedule; they're at the bottom of the league because they've played poorly. Will that change? Maybe. But right now they're a lot closer to the bottom three in the league than the top.

DeBlueDevil
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=DeBlueDevil;356178]Figured I'd mind as well answer my own questions.

My apologies I meant to say that I could see UMD as potentially a 3rd best team in the conference in my statement above. I believe right now it is Duke,GT,UNC. I believe that Maryland could be the 2nd best if UNC proves me wrong and continues to struggle and GT continues to be inconsistent but right now thats how I see it.

I know that it may seem strange to some that I have UNC ranked ahead of Clemson, Maryland, and Wake and I may be respecting them a little too much. But I say this conference is so up in the air from night to night. I mean who would have thought we would beat a tough Clemson team twice but lose to a NC State whom UNC just beat by 10+ last night. And I'll remind you that one of the so called weak teams that Maryland has beaten (BC) just defeated Clemson last night which was more of a lopsided game then the final score. Fact, is that everyone is pretty even and we can probably come up with 7 more scenarios just like the one I stated and I guess we all just have different opinions of each team but thats cool. I just refuse to think UNC is terrible and will remain terrible the rest of the season. They have too much talent to just go into the hole. But I could be wrong. Ohh yea not to mention a FSU team we face tonight that has beaten the same GT team we lost to earlier this year twice already. :( Truth is ACC is wide open fellas...just figured I'd get everyones thoughts is all

buckshot
01-27-2010, 02:06 PM
FWIW, Kenpom has the turtles at #8