dukemsu
01-26-2010, 10:32 PM
UK getting to the basket at will.

USC's 3s can't drop forever.

UK will pull away.

dukemsu

snowdenscold
01-26-2010, 10:37 PM
South Carolina looked good at 39-33, and then again at 42-37, but I don't think they have it in them to go all the way. The recent UK run is probably the beginning of the end.

cameroncrazy3104
01-26-2010, 10:40 PM
its too bad the SEC is awful....KY would have 6 losses by year's end

Duvall
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't know what sport Devan Downey is playing, but it's certainly fun to watch.

WiJoe
01-26-2010, 11:03 PM
For gosh sake, those are some ugly *ss south carolina uniforms. Yowser! Gross!

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
#2 is KILLING Uk

mehmattski
01-26-2010, 11:07 PM
a) I'd like the record to show how effectively South Carolina has executed Stall Ball in the last six minutes of this game.

b) Helped by Kentucky's complete inability to play team defense.

c) One great game from an above average player against an over-hyped team (at home) and the announcer thinks Downey should be NPOY? Puh-lease.

Billy Dat
01-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Devan Downey!!!!!!!!!

YourLandlord
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Nice hands wall.

mlove3
01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
this is great, wall is losing this game single-handedly

SCMatt33
01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
so much for all that undefeated talk...

Duvall
01-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Devan Downey. American. Patriot. Master of the Atom.

moonpie23
01-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Coooooooocccckkkkkkksssssss !!!!!!!!!

SCMatt33
I think this court storm should be approved. 0-7 all time vs. number 1, and UK has owned the SEC forever.

terrih
What an excellent game! Good for them! And yes, can't think of a much better time to storm the court.

DevilHorns
Downey telling the fans to rush the court? unsportsmanlike? yes or no?

Billy Dat
01-26-2010, 11:20 PM
That was meant to be...some of those shots that Downey hit were like the Bishop golfing in the driving rain in Caddyshack.

prefan21
01-26-2010, 11:20 PM

The last time they played a #1 at home was in 1977. It's okay to rush the court every half-century or so. :D

RainingThrees
01-26-2010, 11:21 PM
You can kiss that perfect season goodbye. Kentucky fans will have to put away those #1 ranking t-shirts too. This is great!!!!

Bluedog

Well, he probably cost USC $5,000. But it was worth it!

mehmattski
I think this court storm should be approved. 0-7 all time vs. number 1, and UK has owned the SEC forever.

I wonder if SC fans rushed the court when they beat Kentucky last year at home? If so, that makes this time a little less sweet, since they should act like they've been here before...

Jackson
I love seeing Kentucky lose! My second least favorite team in the land just went down!

dukelifer
01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
I would have rather this loss come in the tourney- but at least we do not need to hear about KY going undefeated. Great win by SC. Just goes to show that winning on the road is not easy when a team has you circled on their schedule.

Wander
01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
since they should act like they've been here before...

They haven't.

YourLandlord
01-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Devan Downey. American. Patriot. Master of the Atom.

9-28.

You shoulda seen this team called Florida a few years ago.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Usc isn't Southern Carolina. Is it?

phaedrus
01-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Usc isn't Southern Carolina. Is it?

You can just call them Carolina for short.

SCMatt33
01-26-2010, 11:35 PM

I meant in general. Florida's reign was short lived.

snowdenscold
01-26-2010, 11:37 PM
South Carolina looked good at 39-33, and then again at 42-37, but I don't think they have it in them to go all the way. The recent UK run is probably the beginning of the end.

I stand corrected.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 11:38 PM
9-28.

There's nothing more American than a ballhog.

Kentucky has won 43 SEC titles.

dbd4ever
01-26-2010, 11:50 PM
c) One great game from an above average player against an over-hyped team (at home) and the announcer thinks Downey should be NPOY? Puh-lease.

How about d) you need to check the stats and you would then see that Devan Downey is averaging 30+ppg in conference and had almost 70pts in his last two games including tonight. He is the motor, leader, and is an all out baller for South Carolina!!! At only 5'10!!

And by the way, the announcers were saying Downey could be the conference player of the year and Wall could be the NPOY. They were saying how weird it would be for Wall to get the NPOY and not even be the POY in his own conference. Just Sayin!!

dbd4ever
01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
I wonder if SC fans rushed the court when they beat Kentucky last year at home? If so, that makes this time a little less sweet, since they should act like they've been here before...

How is it ever not sweet to beat the #1 team in the country????

Especially when you're a young program, it's your best player's senior year, and you've just lost two of your starters in the last month. (Dominique Archie and Mike Holmes)
Last year SC beat an unranked UK team by double digits and I was there and no one rushed the court.

Don't throw so much salt!! And congratulate this team on a great game!!

-bdbd
01-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Wow! That sure was a lot of fun to watch. That kid Downey was incredible. Anybody know how highly recruited he was?

Unfortunately what USC did would be hard for us to duplicate -- we just don't have that dominant PG blazer/scorer type. Not that we can't beat UK - I've thought all along that this was a very beatable UK squad - but we just can't do it that way...

The big mystery to me is how does a USC team like that, with such a dynamic PG, etc., lose 7-8 games already this year??? Have they just been playing that far below their talent level? (Yes, I realize this was a good game for them, but its not like they shot 75% or played error-free ball or something.) Just no way they should have lost that many games!

:confused::confused:

dbd4ever
01-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Wow! That sure was a lot of fun to watch. That kid Downey was incredible. Anybody know how highly recruited he was?

Unfortunately what USC did would be hard for us to duplicate -- we just don't have that dominant PG blazer/scorer type. Not that we can't beat UK - I've thought all along that this was a very beatable UK squad - but we just can't do it that way...

The big mystery to me is how does a USC team like that, with such a dynamic PG, etc., lose 7-8 games already this year??? Have they just been playing that far below their talent level? (Yes, I realize this was a good game for them, but its not like they shot 75% or played error-free ball or something.) Just no way they should have lost that many games!

:confused::confused:

They are playing with a new rotation after losing two starters in the last month or so.

mehmattski
01-27-2010, 12:38 AM
How is it ever not sweet to beat the #1 team in the country????

Especially when you're a young program, it's your best player's senior year, and you've just lost two of your starters in the last month. (Dominique Archie and Mike Holmes)
Last year SC beat an unranked UK team by double digits and I was there and no one rushed the court.

Don't throw so much salt!! And congratulate this team on a great game!!

I'm a little bit jaded by all the court rushing for random reasons across the nation, is all. If they didn't do it last year, great for them! It means they savor the moment and not just the opponent.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-27-2010, 01:10 AM
What a great night for SC! Congrats to them. I can't believe there is even a small discussion on court rushing. This is the definition of why to court rush! I would be right there with them celebrating if I was there. Nice job fellas!

devildownunder
01-27-2010, 02:21 AM
my cousin, who is nearly 30 years old and has followed Kentucky for years, took this loss really hard. She said "I knew they had to lose but didn't want it to be right after they got to #1" and talked about how they were breaking her heart.

Weird. I'm so glad I escaped the Matrix of sweating over the polls years ago.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Coooooooocccckkkkkkksssssss !!!!!!!!!

Not sure you should be streaming that at the top of your lungs ;)

roywhite
01-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Great win for the Gamecocks and clutch performance by Downey. Watched a good part of the second half when Carolina pulled away from State.

Amazing stat for Kentucky---their only scorers in the second half were freshmen. Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe all looked good, but absolutely no help from Patterson or others. South Carolina got a ton of offensive rebounds. Kentucky, like nearly all the top teams this year, has flaws.

dbd4ever
01-27-2010, 08:29 AM
On a side note, a local sports caster Bob Shields who was working the game last night reported on the radio this morning that during the end game festivities, a fan stumbled and fell into Demarcus Cousins while Kentucky was walking off of the court. Cousins proceeded to punch the fan in the face twice before being pulled off by a Kentucky staff member. Shields said that they could not find the act on tape, but didn't know if ESPN did. Not sure if it's correct or if there will be any fallout from this.

moonpie23
01-27-2010, 08:32 AM
doesn't surprise me...he's a time bomb....just watch him..

hope there's footage of this..

DeBlueDevil
01-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Yea I watched this game closely and I'm sure John C is gonna be all in Pattersons ear. I'm not sure why but he seemed to be no where to be found last night. But as someone said before they had to lose. Shocking thing for me was the way they lost. They pretty much lost playing their type of game. I didn't see any real reason which led to the loss other than the lack of production from the upperclassmen. SC didn't do anything spectacular on the defensive end IMO just poor shooting by Kentucky.

duke4life32182
01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
I love it being all the analysts said they couldn't loose last night. Everyone was saying their trip to Vanderbilt was going to be their only test. Just shows you that you have to come to play. Never take anything for granted and give 110%.

Channing
01-27-2010, 08:54 AM
On a side note, a local sports caster Bob Shields who was working the game last night reported on the radio this morning that during the end game festivities, a fan stumbled and fell into Demarcus Cousins while Kentucky was walking off of the court. Cousins proceeded to punch the fan in the face twice before being pulled off by a Kentucky staff member. Shields said that they could not find the act on tape, but didn't know if ESPN did. Not sure if it's correct or if there will be any fallout from this.

has any other outlet picked this up? If its true its another example of court storming being dangerous.

Indoor66
01-27-2010, 08:55 AM
has any other outlet picked this up? If its true its another example of court storming being dangerous.

Actually, it strikes me as another example of inappropriate player behavior.

Channing
01-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Actually, it strikes me as another example of inappropriate player behavior.

really? so a ~19 year old, highly emotional kid is caught in the middle of thousands of folks charging in on him from all sides (and since UK was undefeated, probably the first time he has ever experienced anything like that). After being bumped several times a kid comes and bumps him head on, shoves him, however it played out (I don't know). How is Demarcus supposed to know that the person tripped and that he isnt antagonizing him? Maybe instincts over took him to protect himself?

Should he have just let it be, probably. Nevertheless, the fans entered the players domain and initiated contact with the player.

moonpie23
01-27-2010, 09:29 AM
really? so a ~19 year old, highly emotional kid is caught in the middle of thousands of folks charging in on him from all sides (and since UK was undefeated, probably the first time he has ever experienced anything like that). After being bumped several times a kid comes and bumps him head on, shoves him, however it played out (I don't know). How is Demarcus supposed to know that the person tripped and that he isnt antagonizing him? Maybe instincts over took him to protect himself?

Should he have just let it be, probably. Nevertheless, the fans entered the players domain and initiated contact with the player.

nice spin, but i do believe that cousins will be involved in a really bad incident while at uk....then another bad incident when in the nba.....

kid is trouble looking for a place to happen

sagegrouse
01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
my cousin, who is nearly 30 years old and has followed Kentucky for years, took this loss really hard. She said "I knew they had to lose but didn't want it to be right after they got to #1" and talked about how they were breaking her heart.

Weird. I'm so glad I escaped the Matrix of sweating over the polls years ago.

Impressive, Down Under. The games barely over and you are consoling your cousin halfway around the world. We need to get a Blue Devils basketball swing through Aussieland to reward your efforts.

sagegrouse

Channing
01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
nice spin, but i do believe that cousins will be involved in a really bad incident while at uk....then another bad incident when in the nba.....

fair enough. He may well be involved in a bad incident while in college or at the next level. In fact, from what I have seen, it does seem like its a matter of when, not if. However, in this case, while he still probably shoulders a good bit of the blame (if the story is true, which I have my doubts over), rushing the court is the reason some poor kid got pummeled.

roywhite
01-27-2010, 09:56 AM
fair enough. He may well be involved in a bad incident while in college or at the next level. In fact, from what I have seen, it does seem like its a matter of when, not if. However, in this case, while he still probably shoulders a good bit of the blame (if the story is true, which I have my doubts over), rushing the court is the reason some poor kid got pummeled.

Both of these things are true.
1. Cousins is an immature hothead and is likely to continue to get into trouble
2. Storming the court is dangerous, and can lead to serious injury

#2 is the greater public safety issue.

94duke
01-27-2010, 09:59 AM

I tried to google this, but I found nothing. Anybody else hear about this?

diveonthefloor
01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
33-31 w 17 left in 2nd half

Nice call on the upset alert!

There were a lot of naysayers on the boards until late in the game.
Your post made me turn the game on and watch the entire 2nd half!
That was fun!

Calislimy squirming the whole half....(not as bad as he'll squirm when the NCAA investigator comes calling)

concrete
01-27-2010, 10:48 AM

can you please link any off-the-court incidents Cousins has been involved in? He's immature and is definitely Rasheed Wallace-esque on the court, but I have not heard anything that would support your statements (if they are implying off the court).

diveonthefloor
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
I love it being all the analysts said they couldn't loose last night. Everyone was saying their trip to Vanderbilt was going to be their only test. Just shows you that you have to come to play. Never take anything for granted and give 110%.

I have a different take on this....it wasn't that KY didn't come to play. They are a good team, but not as good as their press clippings and certainly overrated at this point.

A peak at this morning's Sagarin ratings shows:

They have beaten no top 25 teams (haven't even played one)
Their strength of schedule is 126th in the country (ouch)
And their game predictor ranking has them 14th in the country

The SEC is nearly as weak as C-USA was last year (must make Calislimy feel right at home)....but KY should lose a handful of games this year, and may not even win their conference tourney.

Good news is....Wall and Cousins will be gone after this year anyway.

moonpie23
01-27-2010, 11:16 AM
can you please link any off-the-court incidents Cousins has been involved in? He's immature and is definitely Rasheed Wallace-esque on the court, but I have not heard anything that would support your statements (if they are implying off the court).

no, i am talking about ON-court....

dukeblue42323
01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Great game! Makes me so happy!

brickey
01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
A peak at this morning's Sagarin ratings shows:

They have beaten no top 25 teams (haven't even played one)
Their strength of schedule is 126th in the country (ouch)
And their game predictor ranking has them 14th in the country

RPI ratings suggest the same (UK is 0-2 vs. the RPI 1-50, while Duke is 6-2).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/polls?poll=5

Unfortunately, rather than confirming that UK is vastly overrated, the game's result will probably be perceived by the public--and is already being portrayed by the dolts in Bristol--as a great win by an unexpected upstart rather than as a bad loss for UK. (Keep in mind, the Cocks lost to Wofford fairly recently).

Consider that UK currently rates 13th, 14th, and 8th in Pomeroy, Sagarin, and RPI, but ranks (and will remain) in the top four of the AP and USAT/ESPN polls, while Duke is rated 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd, respectively, but barely ranks within the top 8 of either poll.

I know there's still a lot of ball left, but suppose the regular season ended with UK and Duke rated and ranked as above. Which team would the NCAAT committee seed higher? Despite claims to the contrary, the committee puts a lot of weight in the RPI when making cuts, but to what extent do relative performance measures such as Sagarin, Kenpom, affect their seeding decisions?

Duke doesn't have the flare of UK (i.e., Wall), and they'd certainly be an unpopular pick for a #1 seed, but a strong argument could be made for seeding Duke above UK at this point.

phaedrus
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Duke doesn't have the flare of UK (i.e., Wall), and they'd certainly be an unpopular pick for a #1 seed, but a strong argument could be made for seeding Duke above UK at this point.

Once we match their best win - twice - I think perceptions will change.

Edit: Sorry, I guess UConn is their best win, which we've already matched. So once we match their second-best win, twice, in addition to their best win, I think things will change.

moonpie23
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Edit: Sorry, I guess UConn is their best win, which we've already matched. So once we match their second-best win, twice, in addition to their best win, I think things will change.

i assume you're saying duke will sweep UNC.....please.....

there sure is a lot of talk on this board to this effect. I wish there wasn't. Under estimate them (against DUKE ) at your own peril.....

brickey
01-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Like moonpie23, I won't count my chickens too soon, but funny nonetheless. Comparing wins over UConn, we note that ours came on a neutral court and was fairly decisive; theirs, well.......at one point in the game Wall hit a reverse layup.

i assume you're saying duke will sweep UNC.....please.....

there sure is a lot of talk on this board to this effect. I wish there wasn't. Under estimate them (against DUKE ) at your own peril.....

I tend to assume that 99.99% of the people who read/post to this board are fully aware that anything --quite literally, anything-- can happen in a Duke-UNC game. I also tend to assume that people who read/post to this board understand that their estimation of Carolina has ZERO bearing on the outcome of games. For the sake of preserving level-headed perspective around here, I understand where you're coming from, but unwarranted deference to young, unproven entities ruffles my feathers all the same.

phaedrus
01-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Good point, I do live in the same building as a certain star guard, so I will have to be certain my overconfidence with regard to the UNC games, which surely exudes from my every pore at all times, does not overwhelm his own frail basketball sensibilities should we happen to cross paths while we pick up our mail. I would have only myself to blame if we were to lose.

Kfanarmy
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
RPI ratings suggest the same (UK is 0-2 vs. the RPI 1-50, while Duke is 6-2).....

How can they be 0-2 against the RPI 1-50 when they only have one loss?

brickey
01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
How can they be 0-2 against the RPI 1-50 when they only have one loss?

Typo. Sorry. (Apparently it's too late to edit.) Should read 2-0 against the RPI 1-50. USC is in the RPI 51-100, I believe.

JasonEvans
01-27-2010, 05:00 PM
South Carolina has been fined (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-scarolina-secfine&prov=ap&type=lgns)$25k by the SEC for fans storming the floor last night. This is their second offense. It first happened 4 or 5 years ago when they last beat Kentucky.

-Jason "I need to look around and see if this Cousins story has any legs" Evans

Duvall
01-27-2010, 05:27 PM
-Jason "I need to look around and see if this Cousins story has any legs" Evans

Doubtful. The Reporters Who Cover College Basketball are too busy trying to think up a reason for fans to hate Jon Scheyer.

DukeUsul
01-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Here's a report on the news anchor who witnessed the punches.
http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/2010/01/27/demarcus-cousins-allegedly-threw-two-punches-at-a-south-carolina-student/

devildownunder
01-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Impressive, Down Under. The games barely over and you are consoling your cousin halfway around the world. We need to get a Blue Devils basketball swing through Aussieland to reward your efforts.

sagegrouse

All cheer for social media! And I agree w/you -- I deserve such a reward. Dinner and a reception can be at our house, complete w/my wife's baking, which is not to be missed!

slower
01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Here's a report on the news anchor who witnessed the punches.
http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/2010/01/27/demarcus-cousins-allegedly-threw-two-punches-at-a-south-carolina-student/

You know, the more I see and hear about him, the more I think that this d-bag will get worse when goes to the NBA. I can easily envision some kind of firearm felony or something along those lines. I'll be glad when gets his worthless butt out of college.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
You know, the more I see and hear about him, the more I think that this d-bag will get worse when goes to the NBA. I can easily envision some kind of firearm felony or something along those lines. I'll be glad when gets his worthless butt out of college.

It's a shame the Jailblazers are no more. He would have fit in perfectly.

gumbomoop
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Amazing stat for Kentucky---their only scorers in the second half were freshmen. Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe all looked good, but absolutely no help from Patterson or others. South Carolina got a ton of offensive rebounds. Kentucky, like nearly all the top teams this year, has flaws.

I have a slightly different take on this, though it may be merely wishful thinking on my part. Wall is so good that in close games, Cal seems to allow him to just "create." But this doesn't so often involve Patterson, and sure didn't against SC. I'm wondering whether this will begin to bug PP, who, after all, is real good, is likely to want to display his talents to NBA types, and might lead UK part-way to some promise land, if "allowed" to by Wall.

So, UK still has some question marks, most obviously (1) weak schedule, (2) out-of-control-ness that accompanies inexperience, and (3, maybe) team chemistry. Maybe PP is willing to ride the Wall Train all the way, but I'd think he'd prefer to touch the ball intermittently.