PDA

View Full Version : MBB: UNC-CH 77, NC State 63

JasonEvans
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
There is a buzz going around about tonight's Heels-Pack game. Everyone is saying it is a huge, huge contest for Carolina -- probably the most important game of the season so far. In am sure there will be a thread about it tonight once the game happens so I figured we'd give it a head start here.

Additionally, I am posting a poll to this thread for folks to predict the result of the game. I'll try to turn the poll off once the game begins.

Enjoy!

--Jason "vote with your head, not your heart ;) " Evans

moonpie23
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
word is davis is "highly questionable" for tonight.....if doesn't play, i'd say state's chances are good.

i don't think there will be a big difference in which UNC team will show up. i DO think there's a huge difference in which STATE team shows up...

state - duke team?

or back in the pumpkin state-maryland team?

regardless, i hope the pack CLEMSON-IZES the holes by 40...

JasonEvans
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
By the way, Carolina will likely be minus Ed Davis (http://www.dailytarheel.com/content/davis-questionable-yet-again-tar-heels)for tonight's game.

Roy Williams said in a news conference Monday afternoon that unless the sophomore’s injured ankle makes “significant improvement” before the 9 p.m. tip-off against N.C. State, UNC’s best forward will be kept out of a second straight game.

“If the game had been scheduled yesterday, I would not have played him,” Williams said.

--Jason "time to unleash Travis Wear :) " Evans

jjasper0729
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
i'm hoping for the holes to lose by a lot, but i have a feeling that the maryland game ncsu is going to show up and the holes will pull one out.

-jk
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
How many times have we seen a career high by a Heel "unlikely" to play that night?

-jk

snowdenscold
01-26-2010, 01:34 PM
By the way, Carolina will likely be minus Ed Davis (http://www.dailytarheel.com/content/davis-questionable-yet-again-tar-heels)for tonight's game.

So there's a 75% chance he'll play?

dukeblue42323
01-26-2010, 01:36 PM
nc isn't bad this year

uncwdevil
01-26-2010, 01:36 PM
UNC favored by 1 in Vegas.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 01:42 PM
How many times have we seen a career high by a Heel "unlikely" to play that night?

-jk

Before (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-ginyard-out-graves-mcdonald-questionable-for-sunday).

North Carolina shooting guard Marcus Ginyard -- the team's best perimeter defender, third-leading scorer, and leader -- will miss the ninth-ranked Tar Heels' season opener on Sunday against Virginia Tech because of a sprained right ankle.

Meanwhile, starting small forward Will Graves and reserve guard Leslie McDonald are both questionable to play, also because of sprained right ankles.

"If we played today, they would not play,'' coach Roy Williams said. "If we played tomorrow, they would not play. .... So we'll just have to wait and see."

After (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/011010aaa.html).

Graves and freshman Leslie McDonald were listed as questionable two days earlier by Williams with sprained right ankles. But Graves not only started, he hit three timely 3-pointers for the Tar Heels, who started slowly before putting themselves ahead to stay by opening the second half with a 15-6 run keyed by improved effort, efficiency and execution.

alteran
01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm calling it a blow-out for the heels. I just don't think they're as bad as they've been, they've hit a lot of teams lately when they're playing hot, and these back-against-the-wall games traditionally seem to break the heels way, the only real time they didn't was during the D'oh era.

Good times.

And it would be just like NCSU to pound us and then mail it in against their rival.

Negativity aside, I don't expect NCSU to mail it in, but I don't expect them to play anything like they did against us. The one thing I'm pinning my hopes on is that they have played and lost since the Duke game, so the hangover has passed, and any delusions of grandeur should be behind them.

Also, "highly questionable" is UNC code for "his injury is completely healed and he will have a career night."

Would love to be wrong about a heels blowout.

allenmurray
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Since there has been sufficient time for Coach Lowe to get his red blazer back from the dry cleaners, I say NCSU by 6.

Fear the Blazer :D

jv001
01-26-2010, 01:55 PM
unc will probably do a good job defending Smith for the Wolfpack. It's the State guards that will ultimately win or lose this game for the Pack. If they play like they did against us, then State probably wins. If they don't play very very good, unc will win by 12-15 pts. I hope the State backcourt has another great game left in them. Go Pack and Go Duke!

airowe
01-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Pomeroy and Sagarin both predict a Wuffies win. Vegas is putting that line up based on public perception.

I'm voting with my heart and my head. GTHC, GTH.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Pomeroy and Sagarin both predict a Wuffies win. Vegas is putting that line up based on public perception.

I'm voting with my heart and my head. GTHC, GTH.

To be fair, the public is well familiar with State's legacy of failure in these situations. The computers only consider this year's performance.

elvis14
01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I voted UNC by 10 and I hope to God I'm wrong. Let's go State!

I hope they get to storm the court like they did last Wednesday (that was fun to watch despite the circumstances).

9F oh and 9F

Tim1515
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
UNC has had a week to prepare for this game...a game which is incredibly important to their season...i think the tar heels win by 10+

hurleyfor3
01-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Remember, the happier it would make you for unc to lose, the more likely they will win.

Also, as noted before, they're playing State. If State is about to win, they will find a way to screw it up.

Gewebe14
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I think some are overlooking the fact that this UNC team has shown very little character, especially if Easy Ed continues resting up for next year. NC State has shown some strength, especially at home. I'm sure the Pack can keep it interesting with a lot of pressure on the Holes to win (which they are not particularly well-equipped to handle with a mopy (SP?) deon and young guards) as their season spirals out of control.

RockyMtDevil
01-26-2010, 02:43 PM
For most of us who have been around a while, there are at least three teams that you NEVER bet on to win a big game: NC State, Virginia and Clemson. They just find ways to lose. Never pick these three teams to win a Big 10 Challenge game, never pick them to win an NCAA Tourny game and never pick them to beat Carolina.

I hope I am wrong.

elvis14
01-26-2010, 02:49 PM
For most of us who have been around a while, there are at least three teams that you NEVER bet on to win a big game: NC State, Virginia and Clemson. They just find ways to lose. Never pick these three teams to win a Big 10 Challenge game, never pick them to win an NCAA Tourny game and never pick them to beat Carolina.

I hope I am wrong.

As a guy who lives in Raleigh and has lots of friends who are State fans, grew up in Virginia and went to grad school at Clemson, sadly, I have to agree with you! :D

9F

SilkyJ
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
State beats duke and then loses by 22 @ MD. Who the hell knows...

UNC has more talent, so I'll give it to 'em.

moonpie23
01-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Vegas is putting that line up based on public perception.

i sincerely doubt vegas would care a rat's patootie about "public perception"....that's why they're "vegas"

RockyMtDevil
01-26-2010, 03:02 PM
NC State is 5-5 in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.

Clemson is actually 8-3, major surprise here

UVA is also 5-5 in the Challenge.

Clemson is 8-9 in NCAA Tourny Games.

UVA is 22-16 in their lifetime in NCAA Tourny Games. Take Ralph Sampson out of the equation and they are something like 10-12...

If I am Vegas, I never pick these three, especially in games that count.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 03:02 PM
i sincerely doubt vegas would care a rat's patootie about "public perception"....that's why they're "vegas"

That's *all* Vegas cares about - setting a line that reflects public sentiment, so that the betting will be equal on both sides.

airowe
01-26-2010, 03:06 PM

That's the way Vegas sets their lines.

moonpie23
01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
That's the way Vegas sets their lines.

balanced betting makes sense...since i'm not a gambler, i aways thought the odds were made from a mountain of variables pointing to a somewhat scientific projection.

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2010, 03:59 PM
There is a buzz going around about tonight's Heels-Pack game. Everyone is saying it is a huge, huge contest for Carolina -- probably the most important game of the season so far.
I'll go one step further and say this is a must win for either team. Besides the deep hole and little chance for NCAA tourney action the loser faces, for the heels their whole morale rides on a win. They still have an uphill battle if they pull it out, but at least they can smile a little bit, if they lose I see their funk continuing to get darker. As for state, I see tonight's game as the one that decides Sidney Lowe's future at State. If he loses at home to a unc team that is obviously down, the pack once again slip to the bottom of the ACC barrel, their tourney hopes are toast, and he will shoulder the blame. If State wins, he keeps his job because he beat Duke and the heels in the same season, and that will keep the pack fans happy enough.

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2010, 04:58 PM
WRAL has a great photo up for their story on tonight's game.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/6884957/

I took some photoshop liberties with it....

GTHC, go State!

shoutingncu
01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I'll go one step further and say this is a must win for either team. Besides the deep hole and little chance for NCAA tourney action the loser faces, for the heels their whole morale rides on a win. They still have an uphill battle if they pull it out, but at least they can smile a little bit, if they lose I see their funk continuing to get darker. As for state, I see tonight's game as the one that decides Sidney Lowe's future at State. If he loses at home to a unc team that is obviously down, the pack once again slip to the bottom of the ACC barrel, their tourney hopes are toast, and he will shoulder the blame. If State wins, he keeps his job because he beat Duke and the heels in the same season, and that will keep the pack fans happy enough.

My invite out to the alumni club said something like "Sidney Lowe's seat got a little cooler when he left it to storm the court last week...".

Do you think he needs to complete the Tobacco Road home sweep to keep his job, or does the life that the program has shown and the recruits he has coming in buy him another year?

As for tonight, Carolina has a decent stretch coming up (wow, who knew at the beginning of the season that we'd have to look at the schedule that way) with State, Virginia and at Virginia Tech (all tough, but winnable) before heading to Maryland and then taking on Duke. I agree that morale will be the biggest gain, should the Heels win. If they can beat State and Virginia, and then take that confidence on the road to VT, then the back third of the season will likely be what's judged.

My biggest fear is that UNC beats the Pack handily on an emotional high, and then lays an egg this weekend against UVa.

airowe
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
What do we get if we win the poll? :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
My biggest fear is that UNC beats the Pack handily on an emotional high, and then lays an egg this weekend against UVa.
That scenario works for me..at least they lose one of them.

JasonEvans
01-26-2010, 06:16 PM

That's some brilliant stuff!!

DBR needs to put that on the front page!

-Jason

yancem
01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
That scenario works for me..at least they lose one of them.

Yeah, why is that a fear? Granted, I would prefer they loose both games but any loos by unc is a good loss. A couple more losses (hopefully at least 2 to the good guys) and they are completely out of the race in the acc. A few more than that and they are NIT bound :D

Of course, we are talking about unc so you just know they are going to go on a run and ruin the feel good story of the season!!!!!

Wheat/"/"/"
01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Make no mistake, this is a big game for the Heels tonight.

It's been a frustrating season to this point for what I think can be a good team. There have been many times they have not played well to be sure, but this team has strengths.

The problems are easy to see:
A) They have run into some really good teams that have played really well.
B) Way too many unforced TO's have killed their rythem/confidence on the floor.
C) Injuries.

Nobody really cares why you lose, but everyone counts the losses and adds them up. Too many and you stay home.

This team has got to get conference wins, starting tonight.

I'm looking for a big game from the Wear boys, especially Travis inside. I really like their interior defense, and I think you will see them show their strong fundamentals against State. State is a little undisiplined to me, so they should take advantage of that.

UNC needs to break down defenses better off the dribble. Drew needs to think about getting to the rim more. He can do it, he just has not...to this point... as he's spent too much time trying to involve others. I've got to think Roy recognizes that and makes it a priority at some point, hopefully tonight.

Good teams have to be able to rise above adversity. This team has had plenty, so it's time to prove they are a good team.

JasonEvans
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow!! With 76 folks voting so far, we have exactly 38 votes for a Carolina victory and 38 for a Wolfpack win. The very definition of a "pick-em" game.

The category that has gotten the most votes is Carolina by 6-15 points (more than 26% of the votes). Interestingly, 3 times as many people think State will win in a blowout as opposed to Carolina winning in a laugher (9% vs. 3%).

Only about an hour left. Vote now if you have not!

--Jason "I voted for Carolina by 6-15" Evans

Greg_Newton
01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
It pleases me greatly that this game is not listed on the ESPN.com CBB front page scoreboard, because, well... it's only a scoreboard for the Top 25. :D

shoutingncu
01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
It pleases me greatly that this game is not listed on the ESPN.com CBB front page scoreboard, because, well... it's only a scoreboard for the Top 25. :D

Not only that, but CBS Sportsline doesn't have a "Preview" written about it either. :o

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-26-2010, 08:23 PM
In 3 to 4 years this Unc team maybe national champions. Lets hope the freshman get the urge to go pro sooner then that so we don't have to worry about it.

airowe
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
In 3 to 4 years this Unc team maybe national champions. Lets hope the freshman get the urge to go pro sooner then that so we don't have to worry about it.

No team will win the National Championship silly. 2012 is only two years away.

DukeUsul
01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
OMG!!!! Ed Davis is going to start! I never would have guessed!

Newton_14
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
And as expected.. Easy Ed is in the starting line up...

CDu
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
And as expected.. Easy Ed is in the starting line up...

Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...

Duvall
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
This game's over. Typical State.

riverside6
01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
for those interested in our stats, you can find them for nc state/unc here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3784

gwwilburn
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I second this. My first reaction was "where is it?" However, my mind kicked in and I soon let out a chuckle. Heh heh heh!

diveonthefloor
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
anyone have an internet radio feed for either NC State or UNC networks?

Duvall
01-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Is it too late to vote for State losing by 20?

RaineyDevil
01-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Seems that neither the state team or crowd is near as intense as they were when we came to town. Guess thats for the same reason that 2/3 of our losses have resulted in the other team storming the court. We must be getting that swagger back!

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Gonzalez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjasper0729
01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
first half free throws go in unc's favor.. was there anything else expected...

airowe
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
anyone have an internet radio feed for either NC State or UNC networks?

Video: http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-ncaa-basketball-6.html

Newton_14
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Well, the shooting percentage for the pack is just a tad less than 58% so far.. that needs to change. They missed a lot of open looks in that half.

And the role players are doing nothing. Both of those things have to change in the 2nd half for the good guys to win. All they need to do is make one strong run and get the holes rattled and the collapse will be on.. But not expecting it. The longer State lets the holes lead and gain confidence the harder it will be to pull this off...

moonpie23
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
it's not over...fat lady is dressed tho...

prefan21
01-26-2010, 10:12 PM
it's not over...fat lady is dressed tho...

I don't understand... NC State's up by 4 in the 2nd half but the game's over?

What am I missing here... :confused:

WiJoe
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow. Who's that in that bad suit, and what has he done with huckleberry? A timeout? Am I dreaming?

Newton_14
01-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't understand... NC State's up by 4 in the 2nd half but the game's over?

What am I missing here... :confused:

it's called reverse karma.. call it early for the holes and hope the gods are tricked into not letting that happen...

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
3 quick fouls on Smith, 2 very questionable. Right when State's taking over. Hmmm....

That said, Wood needs to make those good looks for State to win.

Shot on the way down and it's not goaltending. Once again...hmmm...

Duvall
01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Watching State's shooters turn back into pumpkins is just painful.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Like I said. Over.

WiJoe
01-26-2010, 10:38 PM
disappointing

grossbus
01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
horner ofer. wood not hitting anything. state implodes after taking the lead.

typical.

SharkD
01-26-2010, 10:59 PM
It's not that serious.

I know, but the "Drew Ⅱ" on the jersey is a bit much... Unless it's supposed to be pronounced "Drew Eeeeeeee."

SharkD
01-26-2010, 11:01 PM
I would say something about the ref swallowing their whistles once Carolina had secured the lead, but that would require me digging out my tinfoil chapeau.

Color me disappointed.

YourLandlord
01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Good one NC State, you idiots:

7 minutes with 0 points,
10 minutes with 1 point,
13 minutes with 4 points.

gwwilburn
01-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I know, but the "Drew Ⅱ" on the jersey is a bit much... Unless it's supposed to be pronounced "Drew Eeeeeeee."
I prefer "Drewll" (Drool)

WiJoe
01-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Good one NC State, you idiots:

7 minutes with 0 points,
10 minutes with 1 point,
13 minutes with 4 points.

UGH!

Wheat/"/"/"
01-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I thought UNC played some strong D in that second half. The key point in the game was Roy bringing in Henson for perimeter D after State drained some 3's to take the lead. Henson killed their momentum singlehandedly there with some big plays and his length caused it.

Drew had an excellent game overall. 18pts, 7 Ast. 1 TO-The kid is a solid PG and showed a competitive mean streak with Gonzalez. Very good defensive effort tonight from the deuce:)

Deon was active and aggressive. He had bounce tonight and played well.

This team is a slashing WF away from really good, I think. (Unfortunately there's not one on the roster, except McDonald, and he's not ready for prime time). Graves has slow feet and a slow release. He can't take a defender off the dribble to the rim. Fortunately he stays patient and within the flow most of the time, his ball movement and passing is sound. If a team fails to guard him he'll drain it off the catch, but teams are wise to that and don't leave him.

Nice to see them not turn it over as much for a change, but you can see this team still lacks chemistry at times on offense.

Time to build some big mo for this team.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-27-2010, 01:16 AM
NC State shot 58% against us. Their 2 games since then they have shot 34% and 39% respectively. I think it is fairly safe to say we got them on the wrong night. Here is to beating the snot out of them when they visit Cameron!

JasonEvans
01-27-2010, 01:29 AM
NC State shot 58% against us. Their 2 games since then they have shot 34% and 39% respectively. I think it is fairly safe to say we got them on the wrong night. Here is to beating the snot out of them when they visit Cameron!

Wood and Horner--

vs. Duke - 11 for 20, 55%
vs. UNC - 3 for 16, 18%

Sigh. That just ain't fair.

--Jason "Ed Davis sure was injured this game" Evans

shoutingncu
01-27-2010, 01:34 AM

While a nice win for the rivalry (the other rivalry, that is), I feel this game is only as big as the next two... and even then, I'll reserve judgment until the following week... at College Park and hosting Duke.

oldnavy
01-27-2010, 06:26 AM
State continues to disappoint. I was pulling so hard for them, and they go out an play what appeared to be a really uninspired game. I guess beating Duke made their season and now they can just rest on that. It is a shame, because if they brought it against the other teams in the ACC like they did against us, then they would be a major player.

duke4life32182
01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
State didn't hit the same shots they did against Duke and a lot of the times they were WIDE open. When I went to bed w/8 minutes left in the game Horner couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Against Duke he was shooting like a superstar. Thats how the game goes.

jjasper0729
01-27-2010, 08:42 AM

since they don't get to visit the friendly confines this year, we'll have to beat the snot out of them on friday after they play on thursday in the tourney

brickey
01-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I thought UNC played some strong D in that second half........Henson killed their momentum singlehandedly there with some big plays and his length caused it...........Very good defensive effort tonight from the deuce:)........Deon was active and aggressive. He had bounce tonight and played well.

Where have you been the last couple of weeks, Wheat? ;)

Nice to have you back.

Three things I never expected to hear, much less in the same breath: Henson was a game changer; Drew played good D; Thomson had bounce. I must admit, all three of these guys played better than their track-records would have indicated.

Still, I can't help but think that Carolina's extra three days of rest before this game was a major factor. State's inability to contest break-aways/drives in the second half and their tired legs on jumpers are ample evidence of this, not to mention that almost all of Javi's 19 points came in the first half. All signs point to one team having a lot more fuel in the tank than another.

In addition to the rest factor, I think scheduling conveyed an advantage to the heels with respect to game planning. (State had to travel to MD on Sat while Carolina was idle.) Aside from the MSU game @ the nose dome, I can't recall another time all season when the heels sustained any semblance of focus or cohesion. As you noted, they executed their game plan last night fairly well -- minimize TO's, deny Smith in the post, get out on 3's. Granted, Roy still had to teach, and his boys still had to listen, but to what extent did three extra practices help in this regard?

You're right. This was a good win for the heels, and a critical one at that -- definitely a game they can build some momentum from. Whether the heels can maintain this level of focus and energy under more typical circumstances, however, remains to be seen.

brickey
01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
This team is a slashing WF away from really good, I think.

Really???? That's it? (Also, funny how you often seem to weave these subtle HB references into your posts.)

What about your team's defense against opposing PG's? Food for thought:

Points / Assists vs. UNC (season average)
----------------------------------------
Delaney (while injured): 26 / 6 (19.5 / 4.2)
Shumpert: 30 / 6 (10.4 / 4.3)
Stitt: 20 / 4 (11.2 / 2)
Ish: 20 / 6 (13.5 / 5.9 )
Javi: 19 / 2 (10.8 / 4.3)

Keep in mind, too, Delaney played injured that game.

RockyMtDevil
01-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Hmmm...Something look familiar last night. As I said when we lost to State, that team is terrible. I have no idea what DBR is smoking when they predicted a break-out by State, they are a bad basketball team with no talent and less chemistry. They would finish middle of the pack in the Pac 10 this year.

Clemson showed once again that they are pretenders as well.

NEVER EVER pick State to win a big one.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2010, 11:41 AM
They would finish middle of the pack in the Pac 10 this year.

That quote made me chuckle...

left_hook_lacey
01-27-2010, 11:47 AM

I have to disagree with you about Coach Lowe. This is the first year that he's had guys that he recruited, and the team is playing better than they have been in many years. They look comfortable and confident as a team, and there's an electricity brewing over there. You can see it when yout talk to State fans, and you can see it in the way the team plays. I think he is the right guy for the job, and I think State recognizes that too. And according to scouting reports, they are going to be more talented in the next couple of years, so it should be interesting. I would love to see it get back to a place where anyone in the country hated to have to come play at any of the Tobacco Road schools.

CameronBornAndBred
01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I have to disagree with you about Coach Lowe. This is the first year that he's had guys that he recruited, and the team is playing better than they have been in many years. They look comfortable and confident as a team, and there's an electricity brewing over there. You can see it when yout talk to State fans, and you can see it in the way the team plays. I think he is the right guy for the job, and I think State recognizes that too. And according to scouting reports, they are going to be more talented in the next couple of years, so it should be interesting. I would love to see it get back to a place where anyone in the country hated to have to come play at any of the Tobacco Road schools.
If State is smart they have already formed a search committee. They might be playing better, but they aren't playing well enough, and after the loss last night they are NIT fodder once again.

oldnavy
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Says a lot about the kind of season you are having when you need to use a victory against NCSU as a springboard and momentum builder. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

left_hook_lacey
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
If State is smart they have already formed a search committee. They might be playing better, but they aren't playing well enough, and after the loss last night they are NIT fodder once again.

It's very possible that State goes to the NIT this year, but, it is also just as possible that they make the big dance. They have some very winable games left on the schedule, and let's not forget they were in this one until about 7 or 8 minutes to go. The ball just did not bounce their way towards the end and Carolina started getting every call and every shot to drop.

Not to mention, they have a quality win(us), they have a ACC road win already (@ then ranked Florida State), they have non-conference road wins @ Marquette, and against Auburn(neutral site in Daytona Beach, FL).

I'm just saying, the ingredients are there to make pull off a trip to the big dance this year. If they don't make it this year, and especially next year with the new players coming in, then I would say Lowe better put his house on the market while it's still low(no pun intended). The remainder of this season, and the entire next season will determine if Lowe will be stick around for a while, or if he'll be looking to donate his red blazer to GCF.

CDu
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
It's very possible that State goes to the NIT this year, but, it is also just as possible that they make the big dance. They have some very winable games left on the schedule, and let's not forget they were in this one until about 7 or 8 minutes to go. The ball just did not bounce their way towards the end and Carolina started getting every call and every shot to drop.

Not to mention, they have a quality win(us), they have a ACC road win already (@ then ranked Florida State), they have non-conference road wins @ Marquette, and against Auburn(neutral site in Daytona Beach, FL).

I'm just saying, the ingredients are there to make pull off a trip to the big dance this year. If they don't make it this year, and especially next year with the new players coming in, then I would say Lowe better put his house on the market while it's still low(no pun intended). The remainder of this season, and the entire next season will determine if Lowe will be stick around for a while, or if he'll be looking to donate his red blazer to GCF.

State will have to go 6-3 in the ACC to get to .500 in conference. It's possible, but they have virtually no margin for error unless they can pull a surprising upset at GT or at UNC. I think they'll end up with 6 or 7 ACC wins this year. That will put them in the NIT.

I do agree though that Lowe is showing signs of turning this thing around. I don't know if he'll end up better than Sendek, but the ship is at least headed in the right direction. The team is still low on talent, but has an excellent recruiting class coming in. I'm not sure it's appropriate to start pulling the plug on Lowe just yet.