PDA

View Full Version : Article about how the Cameron Crazies organzie their chants?

Wask
01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I remember reading an article somewhere about how the Cameron Crazies organize their chants and stuff prior to the start of a home game...

Am I crazy or has someone else seen the same thing?

Thanks
Wask

uh_no
01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
whatever the article says, it is a lie. Their is absolutely no organization amongst the crazies before the game. In fact, with dirt sheets gone, there is no organization amongst crazies during the game save for foul shots.

Wask
01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
the dirt sheets are gone?

uh_no
01-26-2010, 12:46 AM
the dirt sheets are gone?

yup

I hope that explains the agonizing lack of any chants other than the standard 'lets go duke', 'here we go devils', 'lets go devils', and 'go devils go'

people who DO make up good chants can't get them to spread becuase no one has the dirt, and thus no one knows what they mean

a few games back someone tried to say 'where's your ipod' for a player who had stolen ipods or something, and though word of mouth got a few people to catch on, the chant did not spread section wide because no one knew what it meant

that is why the dirt sheets were there and why they were good

being in the section for every game the past two years...i can tell you there is a noticeable difference...and reading the sheets was one of the highlights of going to games for me....no more finding nicknames of players, no more finding about their criminal pasts or embarrasing topics

no one at the wake game knew chas used to date abby waner....

here's one who mourns the loss of the sheets.....yes there were cheers on the front....but everyone knew them anyway....it was there for the dirt...and everyone knew it

Mr Blue Devil
01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
I knew the sheets were gone this year but did not hear the story behind that.

Who outlawed them? Coach K?

MulletMan
01-26-2010, 09:01 AM
yup

I hope that explains the agonizing lack of any chants other than the standard 'lets go duke', 'here we go devils', 'lets go devils', and 'go devils go'

people who DO make up good chants can't get them to spread becuase no one has the dirt, and thus no one knows what they mean

a few games back someone tried to say 'where's your ipod' for a player who had stolen ipods or something, and though word of mouth got a few people to catch on, the chant did not spread section wide because no one knew what it meant

that is why the dirt sheets were there and why they were good

being in the section for every game the past two years...i can tell you there is a noticeable difference...and reading the sheets was one of the highlights of going to games for me....no more finding nicknames of players, no more finding about their criminal pasts or embarrasing topics

no one at the wake game knew chas used to date abby waner....

here's one who mourns the loss of the sheets.....yes there were cheers on the front....but everyone knew them anyway....it was there for the dirt...and everyone knew it

So wait... you need a cheer sheet to learn tidbits about the other team's players? Even with the advent of the interwebs and smart phones? OK....

Also, I don't think that the cheer sheets ever bred creativity and variance of chants. That comes from the students. No one put "Darnel Archie from Butler looks like Smigel" on a cheer sheet, yet when they played in Cameron, every time he touched the ball the entire student section chanted Smi-gel, Smi-fgel (much like air ball). Everyone got it... the kid looked like Smigel. Not rocket science.

dukeENG2003
01-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree. If a cheer is the kind that people have trouble "getting", and thats the reason it doesn't spread. . . GOOD, it probably wasn't a very good cheer anyways.

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Good points about the need (or lack thereof) for the organized cheer sheets.

I was at Duke 1989-1993, and there were no cheer sheets at that time. Instead students would go from tent to tent spreading the word about whatever planned torment they had in mind. If it was good, people would remember it and be in on it, and when the chant started up, it would spread like wildfire. Or the Twinkies would fall like rain :D

If the old fashioned walk-around-and-talk-with-each-other method doesn't work, someone mentioned the telecomm modalities available today, and between Facebook, Twitter, texting, email, etc, there has to be a good avenue for chants/jeers to be planned ahead of time.

Just a supportive thought from an ex-Dukie who wasn't completely sold on this whole e-mail thing when I first set foot in Pegram...

CrazieDUMB
01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I always really enjoyed reading the cheer sheets. Yes, sometimes you knew about player dirt before you read the sheet, but at least everyone was on the same page. As far as the internets work, there's nothing simpler than handing out a stack of photocopied sheets at the beginning of a game.

That said, there wasn't always something good on those sheets, and more often than not I'd just skim them over before forgetting about it. I think the crazies will be fine, but the I never thought the sheets hurt.

duke4life32182
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I would love to attend a game so I could call myself a crazy for once in my life. My wife says I'm a couch crazy though for Duke games.

uh_no
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
So wait... you need a cheer sheet to learn tidbits about the other team's players? Even with the advent of the interwebs and smart phones? OK....

Also, I don't think that the cheer sheets ever bred creativity and variance of chants. That comes from the students. No one put "Darnel Archie from Butler looks like Smigel" on a cheer sheet, yet when they played in Cameron, every time he touched the ball the entire student section chanted Smi-gel, Smi-fgel (much like air ball). Everyone got it... the kid looked like Smigel. Not rocket science.

Look, I don't know who you are, or in what capacity you attend games.

I know I am an undergrad who has been to every home game not over a break in the last 3 years.....(less 1)

there is less creativity since the demise of the 'dirt sheets'....yeah you can make fun of what a player looks like and how they act at the game....but you can't make fun of their history....the past....the kinda stuff that really gets into a player...very few crazies new that aminu last week had a 'shooting' problem....there were quiet cheers about it....but the student section as awhole failed to catch it.....MUCH different than last year....much much different when any time he was near the section students would shout at him 'don't shoot me' and the like

as to the internet....who the hell has time to look up dirt on opposing teams....I don't and being more dedicated than most crazies...i highly doubt most other people are gonna spend a few hours looking up dirt.....and who the **** is gonna pull out their phone and look it up during the game?

Highlander
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Mullet Man's Bio:
http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?bid=10&pid=138

Suffice to say, if you are featured on DBP with your own page, I don't think you shouldn't have your crazy credentials questioned.

As for the cheer sheets, I don't have a problem with them unless they get out to the media, b/c they get ridiculed and make us look lame and scripted. If people can put them together and prevent them from leaving the Gothic Wonderland, no worries.

BoozerWasFouled
01-26-2010, 01:34 PM
The Crazies need to be reorganized.

I think they need to delegate a few people each year who will read the boards and find the dirt for the cheers. These people will be in charge of coming up with a cheer plan for every game that will involve highly specific cheers. At appropriate times, the cheer organizers--who should sit in front--turn around and ignite the cheer. Everyone in the student section needs to be instructed that they should be on board with the cheer when the cheer organizer does it whether they know the backstory or not.

I also think that the cheer organizers should post a thread on all the message boards for every game, and take suggestions from posters nationwide. One of them should also have a wireless device so that people can text potential cheers during the course of the game. Of course, it will be up to the cheer organizers to pick the ones they want to do.

Cameron Crazies have always been about being loud. But they have also been about humiliating opponents by bringing up painful information on national television. To do that you have to be really specific. They need to get back to that.

MulletMan
01-26-2010, 01:43 PM

I know I am an undergrad who has been to every home game not over a break in the last 3 years.....(less 1)

there is less creativity since the demise of the 'dirt sheets'....yeah you can make fun of what a player looks like and how they act at the game....but you can't make fun of their history....the past....the kinda stuff that really gets into a player...very few crazies new that aminu last week had a 'shooting' problem....there were quiet cheers about it....but the student section as awhole failed to catch it.....MUCH different than last year....much much different when any time he was near the section students would shout at him 'don't shoot me' and the like

as to the internet....who the hell has time to look up dirt on opposing teams....I don't and being more dedicated than most crazies...i highly doubt most other people are gonna spend a few hours looking up dirt.....and who the **** is gonna pull out their phone and look it up during the game?

Figuring out who I am is relatively simple. Really. Even for you, oh overextended and busy Duke undergrad.

Now, I didn't make any indications of this year vs. last year vs. 2000 vs. 1986. As I have stated many times on the board, each year the Crazies make Cameron what it is. I make no assertion that people this year know what cheers mean less or more than previously.

However, I will say that in the many years of the cheer sheet, the information contained therein was used on a relatively small basis as the impetus for creative cheers. You most certainly make fun of a player's personal history without a cheer sheet. There are many instances of word of mouth destroying a player's rep just before a game in Cameron. Perhaps the demise in creativity is more due to a lack of interest in coming up with creative cheers rather than not having a cheer or dirt sheet.

Which, I suppose comes to your next point... you don't have the time to look up dirt, and who the hell does? Just out of curiosity... where do you think the dirt on the cheers sheets came from? Surely SOMEONE had to look up this information. Furthermore, I didn't suggest that people should whip out their iPhones in the middle of games. Of course that seems silly. If only there were a time when you were standing or sitting around doing relatively little... and were with other people who were interested in digging up dirt on the opposing team... and were in a place with wireless access and phone signals so that people with computers and smart phones could do internet searches... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Man... wouldn't it be great if K'ville had wireless access and phone service that would allow people in line for games to dig up their own dirt... and then maybe even turn to the person next to you in the line and tell them what you found? Man... that would be great.

But hey... what do I know about creativity. You all clearly have done well with that... what with adding "You Suck!" to all the "Hi, Player X" greetings... oh wait, that's right... that got stolen from Maryland. Awesome.

Perhaps instead of lamenting the loss of the cheer sheet, and being upset that someone isn't handing you a cheat sheet on how to be a Crazy, you could spend some time coming up with an alternative to increase the creativity.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Figuring out who I am is relatively simple. Really. Even for you, oh overextended and busy Duke undergrad.

Now, I didn't make any indications of this year vs. last year vs. 2000 vs. 1986. As I have stated many times on the board, each year the Crazies make Cameron what it is. I make no assertion that people this year know what cheers mean less or more than previously.

However, I will say that in the many years of the cheer sheet, the information contained therein was used on a relatively small basis as the impetus for creative cheers. You most certainly make fun of a player's personal history without a cheer sheet. There are many instances of word of mouth destroying a player's rep just before a game in Cameron. Perhaps the demise in creativity is more due to a lack of interest in coming up with creative cheers rather than not having a cheer or dirt sheet.

Which, I suppose comes to your next point... you don't have the time to look up dirt, and who the hell does? Just out of curiosity... where do you think the dirt on the cheers sheets came from? Surely SOMEONE had to look up this information. Furthermore, I didn't suggest that people should whip out their iPhones in the middle of games. Of course that seems silly. If only there were a time when you were standing or sitting around doing relatively little... and were with other people who were interested in digging up dirt on the opposing team... and were in a place with wireless access and phone signals so that people with computers and smart phones could do internet searches... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Man... wouldn't it be great if K'ville had wireless access and phone service that would allow people in line for games to dig up their own dirt... and then maybe even turn to the person next to you in the line and tell them what you found? Man... that would be great.

But hey... what do I know about creativity. You all clearly have done well with that... what with adding "You Suck!" to all the "Hi, Player X" greetings... oh wait, that's right... that got stolen from Maryland. Awesome.

Perhaps instead of lamenting the loss of the cheer sheet, and being upset that someone isn't handing you a cheat sheet on how to be a Crazy, you could spend some time coming up with an alternative to increase the creativity.
Amen, Brother ......from one who was a Dukie cheering in Cameron when Vic Bubas introduced slapping on the floor and requested that the cheerleaders use choreography set to popular songs.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Well, let's be clear. The "You Suck" isn't something that was added recently, it's something that has somehow survived for decades despite attempts to eliminate it, like ragweed.

MulletMan
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, let's be clear. The "You Suck" isn't something that was added recently, it's something that has somehow survived for decades despite attempts to eliminate it, like ragweed.

Bull pucky! That did not go on from 2000 until ~2007. Now, it may have been around before 2000, I don't know, I wasn't, but it was gone for a while if it was there before. Its about as sad as the B***S***! chant at the refs.

Cameron Crazies can do better.

allenmurray
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Bull pucky! That did not go on from 2000 until ~2007. Now, it may have been around before 2000, I don't know, I wasn't, but it was gone for a while if it was there before.

It was being done at Duke (much to my chagrin) when I arrived in 1982. Pitiful, but not stolen from Maryland. It did end for a long while, but seems to have come back strongly this year. As many bad things as can be blamed on the Terps, and they are legion, this isn't one of them.

Agreed.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Now, it may have been around before 2000, I don't know...

I do know. It was.

devil84
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM

I think what is meant is that somebody or some group routinely did the research to print out and pass out at the game. Instead of sharing by paper, share it via the Internet -- some sort of facebook group, text tree, or something that can work to get the word out without sheets of paper passed out at the game. Surely there's a way to electronically share this prior to the game! Still not as effective as passing it out on paper prior to the game, but that's not going to happen.

I agree that without the 'dirt' on the other players, it's very hard for a cheer to catch on. If you know that iPods were a part of a situation with an opponent, you'll likely be able to pick up the chant much quicker than if you're trying to figure out why people are chanting it.

blazindw
01-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Bull pucky! That did not go on from 2000 until ~2007. Now, it may have been around before 2000, I don't know, I wasn't, but it was gone for a while if it was there before. Its about as sad as the B***S***! chant at the refs.

Definitely didn't go on when I was there from 2000-2004. And, like others, I can seriously vouch for Mullet's credentials in the Crazy department. He and the rest of the Phalanx were definitely people I conferred with before every game about things to do and airing out any concerns between the grad students and the u-grads...we even got the "J-J Re-dick, Dy-no-mite" cheer working!

We had cheer sheets when I was around, but mostly there were things NOT to say, like "You Suck" or "BS". They were also put there to relay things about past cheers that worked (like Mrs. K telling me that Chris Duhon loved the "Du-Du-Du-Duhon" cheer). Classic cheers, like "Who's Your Daddy, Battier" or "J-Will, J. Will Rock You" or "We Want More Booze"...no cheer sheets necessary for those.

CameronConvert
01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey all first time poster here, been lurking for a couple months and I'm looking to jump into the DBR fray. I'm a freshman at duke and, while I've always been a huge basketball fan, it wasn't raised in a true blue family, so hopefully I can add a bit of a student/outsider perspective.

Just addressing a couple of points about the Cameron Crazies so far this year...
First of all, tenting has not started yet, so while the sentiments about thinking up cheers in KVille make sense, KVille wont exist until next week.

Second, I find it extremely hard to believe that the You Suck chants started this year. I've been to every game, and from the very first exhibition game against Findlay the You Suck chants were prevalent. Since there were no cheer sheets to direct everyone to chant You Suck, and since apparently we're not creative enough to think of anything on our own, I'm going to have to assume that those existed in the past.

As to questions about attendance/loudness, by almost everyones measure this years games have been packed. I've heard about attendance problems in the past for non-UNC games, but people have been turned away from every home ACC game this year. And if you were in the stadium for the Wake game, you know how loud the crowd was.

Finally, as to the lack of specific cheers, there is definitely some fairness in this criticism. However, being in the stands and so close to the court I've witnessed some absolutely hilarious insults hurled at opposing players. Ask Ish Smith about some of the chants he got from the Crazies, we definitely got in his head.

Look, I know the Crazies aren't perfect and there are definitely marked changes from the past, but let's go easy when we're coming at this edition of the Crazies. We've been loud, enthusiastic, and most importantly present. Cameron is still the toughest place to play in the nation, and while there are definitely improvements to be made, let's applaud the kids who come out despite a lack of encyclopedic knowledge of all things Duke Basketball rather than criticize them for their shortcomings.

Lord Ash
01-26-2010, 02:38 PM
A few things...

First, the "You Suck" chants existed when I was in Tent #1, during the "Dark Year." Yes, some idiots chanted "You suck" at Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison and Rasheed Wallace. Yes, there were some morons among the Crazies.

Second... it seems strange to me that people are discussing the idea of Crazies taking the time to be looking up info and spreading it around KVille. Uhmmm... isn't that what the cheer sheets are? Is the problem because they are physical? Or because they are from a group of folks who care enough and organize themselves enough to do it?

We didn't have cheer sheets when I was a Crazy, but I fail to see how a few Crazies being enterprising enough to help out the others with info is a bad thing. While it might not be as spontaneous, it certainly is not through a lack of caring or dedication, and I cannot imagine it has any REAL downside, other than having to listen to other fans whine about Dukies being organized.

uh_no
01-26-2010, 02:45 PM

...and perhaps you could be a bit more pleasant in your pedantry.

Duvall
01-26-2010, 02:46 PM
We had cheer sheets when I was around, but mostly there were things NOT to say, like "You Suck" or "BS".

Maybe that's the explanation.

cato
01-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Bull pucky! That did not go on from 2000 until ~2007. Now, it may have been around before 2000, I don't know, I wasn't, but it was gone for a while if it was there before.

It was there when I arrived in 94. I seem to recall K telling us to knock it off. And people did, for a bit.

MulletMan
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
...and perhaps you could be a bit more pleasant in your pedantry.

You're right. I know you're right. I apologize, but only kind of. But that partial apology is sincere.

Look, I know that people are busy, and the student body is different from then, back then or even way back then. I get that. But what I don't get is why being a Crazy has become some sort of right at Duke. You guys are undergrads... you know how absurd the rules for tenting are. Why? Well, because at some point some group of people decided that getting into Cameron, and being a Cameron Crazy wasn't something that needed to be earned, it was just a right. So they complained... its too hard, its too cold, I have to study, we're all gonna die!

I know people who were Crazies when it really was just a line. They survived, they went to class and they have great careers earning oodles of cash. Yes, they sacrificed a little to be in line, but they earned their spot in Cameron. The current students can do this too. The system just allows them not too.

So then we come to the cheer sheets, and the death of all that is creative. You say that K'ville doesn't exist until the tents are up... what about the hours of people standing in line before the games that aren't UNC? Does someone need to explain that that would be a perfect time to build some community and dig up some dirt on opposing teams? Why is it so hard to figure that out? You are the best, smartest students in America, yet you can't or won't figure out ways to be creative without cheer sheets?! I can't wrap my head around that.

The Crazies have been better this year in terms of attendance and volume than they have been in the past two or so years for sure. Now... I guess what I'm getting at is wondering why people are saying, "It can't be better than what it is," instead of saying, "This is how wew make it better!" And I guess I wonder if that's simply because people don't have to sacrifice as much to get into the games anymore.

But again, it is what it is, and the current group should make it what they want, and not what some old guy thinks they should make it.

Well... I guess except if the old guy resides on the Duke sidelines.

MulletMan
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Look, I know the Crazies aren't perfect and there are definitely marked changes from the past, but let's go easy when we're coming at this edition of the Crazies. We've been loud, enthusiastic, and most importantly present. Cameron is still the toughest place to play in the nation, and while there are definitely improvements to be made, let's applaud the kids who come out despite a lack of encyclopedic knowledge of all things Duke Basketball rather than criticize them for their shortcomings.

I will add that I applaud all the students who come out and support our teams. The crazies have been reasonably loud and enthusiastic. However, I don't think that our standards should be to just show up.

Those are not the standards that our teams strive for. And since K considers the Crazies "part of the team" they too should aspire to a higher standard.

weezie
01-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, it's pretty healthy for "family members" to try and understand each other.

Now, could somebody come up into the stands and help me get my fellow geezers cheering?

El_Diablo
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Definitely didn't go on when I was there from 2000-2004. And, like others, I can seriously vouch for Mullet's credentials in the Crazy department. He and the rest of the Phalanx were definitely people I conferred with before every game about things to do and airing out any concerns between the grad students and the u-grads...we even got the "J-J Re-dick, Dy-no-mite" cheer working!

We had cheer sheets when I was around, but mostly there were things NOT to say, like "You Suck" or "BS". They were also put there to relay things about past cheers that worked (like Mrs. K telling me that Chris Duhon loved the "Du-Du-Du-Duhon" cheer). Classic cheers, like "Who's Your Daddy, Battier" or "J-Will, J. Will Rock You" or "We Want More Booze"...no cheer sheets necessary for those.

Maybe you didn't hear it, but "You suck!" was definitely in CIS from 2001-2005 at the player introductions. It didn't happen every game, but I distinctly remember hearing it as a freshman and hearing older students explain that it was taboo (although some said it was acceptable for the UNC game). It's gotten worse this year, but it's nothing new by any stretch of the imagination.

El_Diablo
01-26-2010, 04:28 PM
First of all, tenting has not started yet, so while the sentiments about thinking up cheers in KVille make sense, KVille wont exist until next week.

The Black Tenting Period began this past weekend. There are a few groups set up in K-ville as of this afternoon. The rules, for those not familiar with Black Tenting:

Black Tenting -NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART
-Begins on the night of January 23 at 2:30AM (between Saturday and Sunday) and lasts until January 30 at 8AM, when Blue Tenting begins
-All tent groups must have 12/12 members present in K-ville during each night
-All tent groups must have 2/12 members present in K-ville during each day
-2 missed tent checks will result in the group being dropped from black tenting
-No actual tents are permitted, however, overhead tarps are permitted
- Normal grace rules do not apply. No grace will be called with the exception of Duke Men’s Basketball games
-All groups that successfully complete Black Tenting will initially be placed ahead ofall groups that do not participate in Black Tenting
-The ordering of the groups that successfully complete Black Tenting will be determined by the events of Kickoff Day

rsvman
01-26-2010, 04:33 PM

:eek:

Boy, did you just step in it, or what?

The fact that you don't know who Mullet Man is explains a lot.

That is all.

Rich
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Look, I know that people are busy, and the student body is different from then, back then or even way back then. I get that. But what I don't get is why being a Crazy has become some sort of right at Duke. You guys are undergrads... you know how absurd the rules for tenting are. Why? Well, because at some point some group of people decided that getting into Cameron, and being a Cameron Crazy wasn't something that needed to be earned, it was just a right. So they complained... its too hard, its too cold, I have to study, we're all gonna die!

I'm a relative old-timer (Class of 1988) and hadn't heard about the tenting rules that don't require people to stay on line. They don't do random nightly checks anymore? What's the policy now?

CameronConvert
01-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I will add that I applaud all the students who come out and support our teams. The crazies have been reasonably loud and enthusiastic. However, I don't think that our standards should be to just show up.

Those are not the standards that our teams strive for. And since K considers the Crazies "part of the team" they too should aspire to a higher standard.

Agreed, we've definitely got to step our game up, and I believe once the general blue tenting starts you're going to see that improvement. I've got plenty of respect for the Crazies who came before me, and I hope I still care as much in 20 (and 30, and 40) years as you guys do now. I just think we need to criticize with an understanding of current conditions and an appreciation for the Crazies continued efforts.

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow...K-Ville hasn't started...Black Tenting...Blue Tenting...

WTF happened after I left?! When did it become this organized and anal? Who's responsible for this, and where does he/she/it live? Where's BOG when you need them? This is...wrong!

Oh, and for the 1989-1993 take on the "Hi (player name)...you suck", it was going on when I was there, and it was lame. "Hi Dennis (Scott)...you suck." Yeah, he sucked during all 34 of his points.

hurleyfor3
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow...K-Ville hasn't started...Black Tenting...Blue Tenting...

I was wondering the same thing. I was at Duke the same years as you, and that sounds like a cheer we might have done. Black Tent... Blue Tent! Black Tent... Blue Tent!

I don't remember "You Suck" during player intros, however. Also, I think Dennis Scott dropped 36 on us if you're referencing the 1990 game. But then Rodney Rogers dropped 40 a few years later.

mehmattski
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I was a little sad to see the cheer sheets go, mostly because they were a sort of code-of-conduct for new fans. They would have some basic info about fight songs and would tell fans what not to do:

"Don't say 'you suck' and 'b*s*'... that's what Maryland fans do."

I was not surprised in the least when I heard both chants this year in the absence of the cheer sheets. The presence of profanity from the Crazies has brought Coach K's ire in recent years. I remember a game when Coach K waved off the Crazies for chanting "a-hole" at a ref, and of course the famous time he got pissed at "Fire Jarvis." At the time I thought it was a little odd that Coach K would not approve of profanity from the students, considering he swears like a sailor in normal conversation. So perhaps Coach K will address this at his yearly "State of the Crazies" speech before the Carolina game.

I do agree with Mullet Man that the cheer sheets have little to do with the actual creativity of the fans at the game. For example: After four years (three of them WITH cheer sheets) and the best we've got is "Jah-ohn Scheye-er (clap clap, clap-clap-clap)"?

I'm not saying that the creativity is gone. I was a fan of getting the whole crowd to do the chicken dance against Coastal Carolina as their weirdly colored mascot taunted graduate students. Last year's graduation gown gag against Maryland was also classic... and neither needed a cheer sheet. So if there are folks who disapprove of 'ys and bs' then someone needs to move that objection beyond the world of DBR.

From my view over in the grad section, I'd say that the undergrads do need to get organized a bit better. Get some cheer ideas out on a facebook group or somebody's twitter. As a friend of the guy who started the infamous "Size In Inches!" cheer, I know that starting cheers in Cameron is not hard; they just have to not be lame.

hurleyfor3
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Get some cheer ideas out on a facebook group or somebody's twitter.

Yeah, that's how we came up with all those clever cheers 20 years ago. We'd be standing there in the stands with our crackberries and i-telephones, waiting for someone to twitter everyone something clever.

dukebluelemur
01-26-2010, 06:13 PM

Bull. I was there 1999-2003 in the undergrad section. You and Blazindw are wrong. It wasn't wide-spread (perhaps because, as mentioned by another poster, cheer sheets also told people what NOT to do), but we were constantly struggling with a few dimwits who wanted to do the You Suck bit. It was like the stupid O bit in the national anthem... Most disapproved but there was always a minority that wouldn't let it die.

This is another example of this board being far to enamored with the past. My god, we were brilliant back then, throwing condoms and such, its a good thing the whole student body back then carried those around with them for that spontaneous greeting! Man, I wish we had that kind of amazing awesomeness now. :rolleyes:

Are you not even listening to uh no's point? Its not that individuals, personally, couldn't find information out, its that its hard to spread such juicy tidbits to the whole crowd.

It seems like ANYTHING that isn't done the way it used to be is viewed as bad around here. It gets a bit stupid. While I agree that pre-scripted cheers are lame, methods of spreading information, like a dirt sheet, do nothing but help.

FishStick
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
While I agree that pre-scripted cheers are lame, methods of spreading information, like a dirt sheet, do nothing but help.

I agree 100%. The dirt sheets were the reason that many students (either new attendees or infrequent ones) knew what *not* to do. It would be great if all current and incoming students would read a site like this to understand the stigma that comes with booing a player or that Coach K admonished students for the "you suck" (more than once), but that ain't gonna happen.

I remember when the dirt sheets included various words in a visiting player's language (Lithuanian IIRC) and got a few chuckles out of him during the game when they were used. No way that would have spread without a dirt sheet. Also I remember hearing a good cheer started that just didn't spread because it was difficult to understand. There are many ways to solve this problem, but I really don't see how a good dirt sheet (no cheers) does anything other than helping.

mehmattski
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, that's how we came up with all those clever cheers 20 years ago. We'd be standing there in the stands with our crackberries and i-telephones, waiting for someone to twitter everyone something clever.

Yeah, but at least students these days don't have to dodge mastodons on their way to the Bryan Center. Uphill (both ways) in the snow.

PS: That post made you Bobby Hurley. Awesome.

lpd1982
01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I will be happy to categorically explain the various tenting going on this year but only if you all agree to be reasonable about one thing...K-ville and Cameron policy may seem as though it is decided by the Crazies but that IS NOT THE CASE. It may have been in the 'olden days' when you all just did as you like, but Duke has changed, basketball has changed, parental involvement has changed and lawsuits, swine flu, butinski professors, Duke Doctors, and I'm sure a stray Duke cat or two all weigh into decision making as well.

In addition, K-Ville and Crazies are like Health Care, if you make one group happy, you P**s off another. There is NO WAY to please Duke Basketball, Duke Administration, The Die-Hard Crazies, The Faint of Heart Crazies,etc, but keep in mind that the he/she/it does his/her damnest to please the most with the overriding goal to have the most students be the best support and show the most spirit while intimidating the hell out of the opponent-all unpaid and while going to school.

Here goes:
Attendance at games by students was down and some adult groups believed that might be in part because the existance of Kville gave off the impression that you had to tent or wait in day-long lines to go into every game. So even though the UNC game was always packed, it was decided (not by students) that since it was a long tenting year in K-ville (we get the late home game) that tenting would not start right after Christmas, giving students a chance to see they could get into games in the first part of the season without tents or day long waits.

This made the Die Hards mad because tenting early was the way they showed their devotion, got in the tenting line first and then in first rows of the game.
So, how do you appease the group that truly was willing to do just about anything in a merit based tenting system? You give them an opportunity to show their devotion in Black tenting that is pretty tough. Those who attempt it have it pretty hard for one week, but remember, they gained a whole month of not tenitng over previous years. The idea worked. I understand there are about 100 kids out there for black tenting. If they get through the week they will have what they wanted, prime seating.

After a week of Black tenting, Blue tenting begins. The groups who want to tent until the game in March set up this weekend. To determine tent order they are having a Kick off with 3 parts. Each part is designed to solve one of the problems created by these outside groups insisting on their agendas.

Part one
Each tent must come up with ten 'dirt items' on teams coming to Cameron Home games. The value of the entries from each tent will be dertmiend based on cleverness, ability to incite, difficulty etc and each group gets points for their efforts which will be shared with all fans. This solves the problem of no cheer sheets which was dictated by one of the adult groups.

Part two
Each tent will compete in a Duke Basketball Trivia Contest which spans old and new, obvious and obscure nuggets about our team. This solves the problem of those who complain that the line should not be a lottery (like UNC and others) but based on merit - commitment - Crazieness. And it gives the groups who wouldn't Black tent a chance to get ahead. Points given.

Part three
Treasure Hunt type 'find the location, which gives new tenters (those we hope love the activity and stay with it for four years) a chance to gain a foothold.

All the scores get added up and tent numbers for Blue tenters are determined. Thus line order (that used to be determined by first come, first serve order after Christmas, but was dashed by adult groups) is determined.

During the kick off party there will be a concert, contests, losts of fun stuff all night long in the gym and thus the true tenting season begins.

White tenting comes later and is another treasure hunt type, find the HLM, and get your spot on a first come, first serve basis. White tenting satisfies another adult group who compalined that their kids came to Duke for basketball but couldn't do long tenting. They get in the tenting line last.

There are a good number of kids who get in just from standing in line and most of the line monitors miss part of UNC game because they are busy bartering with the fire marshall for every extra square inch of permissable space they can fit one more student into.

I may have a few of the specifics off, but for the most part I believe this is how it will go down. And next year it will change, and the year after it some more. Everyone wishes it was as easy as all the posters think when they suggest to 'just' do this or that. Oh would that it could be so simple.

airowe
01-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Here's a little more:

http://www.kville.info/k-ville-policy/

scottdude8
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Whatever all your opinions about the cheer sheets are, remember that the elimination of the cheer sheets was NOT the choice of the Crazies. Coach K specifically called out the line monitors at a question and answer session with students in the fall, telling them that he hated the cheer sheets and wanted people to be more spontaneous (I know, I was there). So while the Crazies may be going through some growing pains readjusting, there are signs of improvement... see the "Please Don't Shoot" chant against Aminu at the Wake game. And as many have said, I'm sure things will pick up once K-Ville starts in earnest this weekend.

Exiled_Devil
01-26-2010, 09:49 PM

I like the idea of cheer sheets, and recall them form my visits to the student section ('98-'03) but mostly just before your time, Mullet.

And your post is brilliant.

Exiled_Devil
01-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Part one
Each tent must come up with ten 'dirt items' on teams coming to Cameron Home games. The value of the entries from each tent will be dertmiend based on cleverness, ability to incite, difficulty etc and each group gets points for their efforts which will be shared with all fans. This solves the problem of no cheer sheets which was dictated by one of the adult groups.

Part two
Each tent will compete in a Duke Basketball Trivia Contest which spans old and new, obvious and obscure nuggets about our team. This solves the problem of those who complain that the line should not be a lottery (like UNC and others) but based on merit - commitment - Crazieness. And it gives the groups who wouldn't Black tent a chance to get ahead. Points given.

Part three
Treasure Hunt type 'find the location, which gives new tenters (those we hope love the activity and stay with it for four years) a chance to gain a foothold.

That actually sounds pretty fun. I'm intrigued how the dirt will get used without the cheat sheets.

To those claiming that you s*ck was cheered in the early '00's, some individuals may have done it, but that is dramatically different from the entire section chanting it. It was not a large group cheer back then, and I remember being proud being in the grad student section that didn't say tat. I'm frankly surprised that Coach K hasn't quashed it and expect that he will at some point.

91_92_01_10_15
01-27-2010, 01:54 AM
You're right. I know you're right. I apologize, but only kind of. But that partial apology is sincere.

I'm sorry, but that is genius...

MulletMan
01-27-2010, 08:38 AM
I will be happy to categorically explain the various tenting going on this year but only if you all agree to be reasonable about one thing...K-ville and Cameron policy may seem as though it is decided by the Crazies but that IS NOT THE CASE. It may have been in the 'olden days' when you all just did as you like, but Duke has changed, basketball has changed, parental involvement has changed and lawsuits, swine flu, butinski professors, Duke Doctors, and I'm sure a stray Duke cat or two all weigh into decision making as well.

In addition, K-Ville and Crazies are like Health Care, if you make one group happy, you P**s off another. There is NO WAY to please Duke Basketball, Duke Administration, The Die-Hard Crazies, The Faint of Heart Crazies,etc, but keep in mind that the he/she/it does his/her damnest to please the most with the overriding goal to have the most students be the best support and show the most spirit while intimidating the hell out of the opponent-all unpaid and while going to school.

Here goes:
Attendance at games by students was down and some adult groups believed that might be in part because the existance of Kville gave off the impression that you had to tent or wait in day-long lines to go into every game. So even though the UNC game was always packed, it was decided (not by students) that since it was a long tenting year in K-ville (we get the late home game) that tenting would not start right after Christmas, giving students a chance to see they could get into games in the first part of the season without tents or day long waits.

This made the Die Hards mad because tenting early was the way they showed their devotion, got in the tenting line first and then in first rows of the game.
So, how do you appease the group that truly was willing to do just about anything in a merit based tenting system? You give them an opportunity to show their devotion in Black tenting that is pretty tough. Those who attempt it have it pretty hard for one week, but remember, they gained a whole month of not tenitng over previous years. The idea worked. I understand there are about 100 kids out there for black tenting. If they get through the week they will have what they wanted, prime seating.

After a week of Black tenting, Blue tenting begins. The groups who want to tent until the game in March set up this weekend. To determine tent order they are having a Kick off with 3 parts. Each part is designed to solve one of the problems created by these outside groups insisting on their agendas.

Part one

Part two

Part three

All the scores get added up and tent numbers for Blue tenters are determined. Thus line order (that used to be determined by first come, first serve order after Christmas, but was dashed by adult groups) is determined.

During the kick off party there will be a concert, contests, losts of fun stuff all night long in the gym and thus the true tenting season begins.

White tenting comes later and is another treasure hunt type, find the HLM, and get your spot on a first come, first serve basis. White tenting satisfies another adult group who compalined that their kids came to Duke for basketball but couldn't do long tenting. They get in the tenting line last.

There are a good number of kids who get in just from standing in line and most of the line monitors miss part of UNC game because they are busy bartering with the fire marshall for every extra square inch of permissable space they can fit one more student into.

I may have a few of the specifics off, but for the most part I believe this is how it will go down. And next year it will change, and the year after it some more. Everyone wishes it was as easy as all the posters think when they suggest to 'just' do this or that. Oh would that it could be so simple.

Solid explanation. Thanks for posting it. Sounds like the HLMs and DSG are taking a lot of the concerns from all sides into account and that's a really good thing.

I realize that you're saying that many of the changes that have been made come from "adult groups", but don't kid yourself... those "adult groups" got involved because a portion of students wanted to make the Cameron experience easier. So they complained to people to get their way. I've been around the higher education system long enough to know that when people don't get what they want in this day and age, they just go complain up and up the chain until they get someone who will take up their cause. I'm not saying that these "adult groups" aren't involved and even driving the changes that you've described above, but I don't think that they were unprovoked in taking up the cause.

And yes, you're right that there is no simple way to please every one. That's the problem with the K'Ville policy/rules and even some of the policies governing Grad Campout... once a concession is made for one group or interest, everyone expects the same concession in the rules. What's that old saying? "You can please all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time, but you can't do both." Exactly.

nyr484
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
It seems to me that Cheer Sheets are disliked by the minority of undergrads who are the "most hardcore" (i.e. those who participate in black tenting). And, by the numbers, that is a tiny minority of undergrads.

However, I believe the majority of cameron crazies really like the cheer sheets. Or, at least that was the case when I was in school (2002-2006). What the "most hardcore" fail to realize is that while every undergrad LOVES Duke basketball, the majority, for whatever reason, do not spend as much time paying attention to it. So, when Mullet Man (who I think is awesome by the way) says that the cheer sheets are worthless and people should spend time finding out the dirt themselves, he's forgetting about the 1000 or so people who show up 2 hours before the game and get in line without having any idea about the team we're playing other than the name of the school. These folks are just as enthusiastic about the team. They are just less informed.

To me, there are 2 main purposes of a cheer sheet:

knowledge re: the other team
knowledge that the "most hardcore" can disseminate to the more casual fans re: what NOT to do in Cameron (e.g. rush the court or say "you suck" during player intros.

I agree that the Crazies should start their own creative/inventive/hilarious cheers and should be able to do it without cheer sheets. But I disagree that cheer sheets stifle creativity. It is not mutually exclusive. I participated in many "grassroots" cheers during my time in cameron, which were not on the cheer sheet but were instead prompted by something during the game (one example: the "size in inches" chant at the WF guy holding a 4.5 sign). I also participated in many organized cheers from the cheer sheet that were great (MSU game / Paul Davis).

There are pros and cons but overall I think the cheer sheets are a positive.

uh_no
01-27-2010, 11:57 AM
It seems to me that Cheer Sheets are disliked by the minority of undergrads who are the "most hardcore" (i.e. those who participate in black tenting). And, by the numbers, that is a tiny minority of undergrads.

However, I believe the majority of cameron crazies really like the cheer sheets. Or, at least that was the case when I was in school (2002-2006). What the "most hardcore" fail to realize is that while every undergrad LOVES Duke basketball, the majority, for whatever reason, do not spend as much time paying attention to it. So, when Mullet Man (who I think is awesome by the way) says that the cheer sheets are worthless and people should spend time finding out the dirt themselves, he's forgetting about the 1000 or so people who show up 2 hours before the game and get in line without having any idea about the team we're playing other than the name of the school. These folks are just as enthusiastic about the team. They are just less informed.

knowledge that the "most hardcore" can disseminate to the more casual fans re: what NOT to do in Cameron (e.g. rush the court or say "you suck" during player intros.

I agree that the Crazies should start their own creative/inventive/hilarious cheers and should be able to do it without cheer sheets. But I disagree that cheer sheets stifle creativity. It is not mutually exclusive. I participated in many "grassroots" cheers during my time in cameron, which were not on the cheer sheet but were instead prompted by something during the game (one example: the "size in inches" chant at the WF guy holding a 4.5 sign). I also participated in many organized cheers from the cheer sheet that were great (MSU game / Paul Davis).

I agree mostly with this post, though since I've been here, they've mostly been about the material they contain....rarely did they contain actual cheers (other than the standard ones)....it would list stuff like 'aminu shot some one blah blah blah....make of it what you will'
then someone would start chanting 'stop don't shoot' and the rest of the casual fans which you mention realize...."hey he shot somoene...I get it now" and then they start cheering too

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Great post. I think you're spot on. As a undergrad a few years back, I loved the cheer sheets. I wasn't as hardcore then and I am now, so I didn't know everything about the opposing team. The cheer sheets are also great for freshman. How are they supposed to know? I can assure you, not everyone who goes to Duke initially comes in loving basketball (but leaving is a different story!)

BoozerWasFouled
01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
lpd1982, how is the "dirt" that the tents come up with being spread to all of the Crazies, if not through cheer sheets?

lpd1982
01-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I believe the dirt will be communicated through a variety of technologies now being used for Crazies. There is a web site, texting, tweeting, email and a facebook account. Trust me, the hardwork tenters do to find out good stuff will not go to waste.

As for the value of the cheer sheets, the people who you would imagine could impliment the use of them are NOT in control of this decision and the cheer sheet drop was firm edict from the big guy. Those folks would love to have the cheer sheets back and had a very willing committee ready to do the job. As Mullet Man says, some of these changes come from 'adults groups' who are just parroting what they hear from a few people they happen to talk with. Often they don't have the full story or have not thought through what effects their their proposed change actuaLly make, like the cheer sheet change.

That being said, I think there have been some really creative things going on from the Crazies this year . In addition, our team LOVES the Crazies and depend on them. Just read Nolan's tweets or listen to Jon in an interview.

They are trying guys and I appreciate the thoughtful reply postS. I expected a bunch of bashing.

MulletMan
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
I believe the dirt will be communicated through a variety of technologies now being used for Crazies. There is a web site, texting, tweeting, email and a facebook account. Trust me, the hardwork tenters do to find out good stuff will not go to waste.

As for the value of the cheer sheets, the people who you would imagine could impliment the use of them are NOT in control of this decision and the cheer sheet drop was firm edict from the big guy. Those folks would love to have the cheer sheets back and had a very willing committee ready to do the job. As Mullet Man says, some of these changes come from 'adults groups' who are just parroting what they hear from a few people they happen to talk with. Often they don't have the full story or have not thought through what effects their their proposed change actuaLly make, like the cheer sheet change.

That being said, I think there have been some really creative things going on from the Crazies this year . In addition, our team LOVES the Crazies and depend on them. Just read Nolan's tweets or listen to Jon in an interview.

They are trying guys and I appreciate the thoughtful reply postS. I expected a bunch of bashing.

So along these lines... I'd like to point out that I wasn't trying to say that the cheer sheets served no purpose. And I think that you (along with uh no and others) have pointed out the value of information contained in the sheets.

My biggest point here is that just because the cheers sheets are gone, doesn't mean that the students are incapable of being creative or the Crazies as a whole should suffer... there are lots of other ways to get info out there... and clearly y'all are doing some of those things. You're allowed to talk to one another, too, right? :D

davekay1971
01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I was at Duke the same years as you, and that sounds like a cheer we might have done. Black Tent... Blue Tent! Black Tent... Blue Tent!

I don't remember "You Suck" during player intros, however. Also, I think Dennis Scott dropped 36 on us if you're referencing the 1990 game. But then Rodney Rogers dropped 40 a few years later.

I could have sworn there was some "you suck", but there was also a lot of alcohol involved.

You are correct, btw, it was 36 points. Just an awesome performance. Rodney was every bit as awesome.

Dukeface88
01-28-2010, 12:12 AM
The "you suck" is not the whole student section. I'd guess it's about 1/3 of it, mostly freshman. I heard it last year at the UNC game; I'm guessing that people who only went to that game thought it was something we do all the time, did it at the beginning of this year, the freshman heard it and thought that it was what we normally did. Some of us have been trying to stop it with limited success. On the plus side, tonight no one did the "drive home safely" chant . If word can get out about that, I'm somewhat more optimistic about stopping the "you suck".

Edit: there were also some decent off the cuff chants; "You ain't got no alibi, you ugly" for Alabi's free throws, "F-S-Who" and "Can you read this?" when the grad students held up the newspaper pages (which may have been in poor taste in retrospect, but was pretty funny), and the taunting of that one fan (UNC take note: you deal with annoying fans by heckling them until they leave). As a Floridian, I liked seeing Cameron doing the gator chomp, but that was fairly obvious.

dukeENG2003
01-28-2010, 09:13 AM
agreed. Cameron was great for FSU. The ones the poster above mentioned were all great. No cheer sheets needed.

Also agreed on hating the "You suck". We're not Maryland, lets stop acting like it. While we're at it, can we stop the "O" too?

le_modeliste
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
the taunting of that one fan (UNC take note: you deal with annoying fans by heckling them until they leave).

I liked the "HARRY POTTER WANTS HIS SHIRT BACK" sign :D

MulletMan
01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
... and the taunting of that one fan (UNC take note: you deal with annoying fans by heckling them until they leave)...

I just want to discuss this fan for a second, because I'm sure that he didn't get any TV time. So this guy came in the section 19/20 entrance and he was LIT! I mean, bum-on-the-street-with-liquor-in-a-bag drunk. He was wearing a gold and maroon rugby shirt with huge stripes, and had what can only be described as a wanna-be mullet (I am uniquely qualified to judge hairstyles!).

So he can barely stand as the game begins (sitting in the front row, under the basket FSU is shooting at in the first half... section 20 for those of you who know you Cameron seating chart) and he's right on the baseline behind the TV guys. He's immediately standing and gesticulating after every whistle and/or basket. His first great moment comes when he disagrees with a call that Mike Wood makes on the baseline, and as he attempts to shout at Wood, he nearly stumbles onto the court a la Dennis Hopper in Hoosiers. This drew the attention of both security and the Crazies. We'll get back to security in a minute, but let's just quickly talk about the ire drawn by the Crazies:

Signs that were made up on the spot by grads and undergrads:
"Public Intox!" (Which led to the Crazies chanting this until security came over)
"10 points awarded from Gryffindor"
"Harry Potter wants his shirt back"
"The 70s called... they want their hair back"
"Don't taze me, bro!" (Although I'm not sure that this one made it to full display)

And of course, the chant of "Harr-y Pott-er!" aimed at this jackass whilst he was trying to sober up.

So back to security... at Duke games there are DUPD, DurhamPD and EventOne staffers patrolling the grounds these days. DPD was of the opinion that the guy shouldn't have even been let in the door. After the incident with Wood and the "Public Intox" chant, EventOne came over and gave the guy a warning. He received another later in the first half. The Crazies stayed on him throughout the first half, and yet never allowed him to draw their focus away from the game.

Then, suddenly after the second half began, this guys and his two buddies got up and left... maybe 2 or 3 minutes in. Reports that I didn't verify seem to suggest that these guys were pulled out from those seats by the Iron Duke who gave them the tickets. Whatever happened, the seats became reoccupied about 5 minutes later by three totally different people who were Duke fans.

So that, Roy, is how you deal with an opposing team's fan. You let your insane student section berate him into submission. What's that, Roy? You don't have a worthwhile student section? Oh right... I forgot.

Way to go Crazies!

Exiled_Devil
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
The "you suck" is not the whole student section. I'd guess it's about 1/3 of it, mostly freshman. I heard it last year at the UNC game; I'm guessing that people who only went to that game thought it was something we do all the time, did it at the beginning of this year, the freshman heard it and thought that it was what we normally did. Some of us have been trying to stop it with limited success. On the plus side, tonight no one did the "drive home safely" chant . If word can get out about that, I'm somewhat more optimistic about stopping the "you suck".

Edit: there were also some decent off the cuff chants; "You ain't got no alibi, you ugly" for Alabi's free throws, "F-S-Who" and "Can you read this?" when the grad students held up the newspaper pages (which may have been in poor taste in retrospect, but was pretty funny), and the taunting of that one fan (UNC take note: you deal with annoying fans by heckling them until they leave). As a Floridian, I liked seeing Cameron doing the gator chomp, but that was fairly obvious.

I was aondering whey the "You ugly" chant was going on. Nicely done. For the record, when watchers at ome have to ask the internet "why did they cheer that" its a clear sign to me that the Crazies are doing well.

random idea - are they still doing the canned intros? Becuase if they are, there is plenty of time before the UNC game for the entire student section to learn the intonation and pace of it, and hten to intro right along with the recording.

airowe
01-28-2010, 11:52 AM
The Crazies were on fire last night. I especially enjoyed the Hary Potter pummeling, the "Can you read that?", and the Gator Chomp clap (althought I was waiting for the Tomahawk Chop). "Tuck your shirt on" was ok the first couple of times but it got a little tired. One that I haven't heard mentioned was the "it's a school night" while Hamilton kept calling TOs and fouling even though the game was out of reach. Harry Potter and Presbyterian Guy are a little dissimilar but the two young girls behind the F$U bench who kept yelling "State still beat you" while Duke's guys were shooting FTs were pretty darn annoying and I likened them more to PG than Harry Potter. Nothing was done to them, yet they were probably equally annoying.

DukieInKansas
01-28-2010, 12:17 PM
The Crazies were on fire last night. I especially enjoyed the Hary Potter pummeling, the "Can you read that?", and the Gator Chomp clap (althought I was waiting for the Tomahawk Chop). "Tuck your shirt on" was ok the first couple of times but it got a little tired. One that I haven't heard mentioned was the "it's a school night" while Hamilton kept calling TOs and fouling even though the game was out of reach. Harry Potter and Presbyterian Guy are a little dissimilar but the two young girls behind the F$U bench who kept yelling "State still beat you" while Duke's guys were shooting FTs were pretty darn annoying and I likened them more to PG than Harry Potter. Nothing was done to them, yet they were probably equally annoying.

Was the response to them - "But not your state"?

allenmurray
01-28-2010, 12:28 PM
random idea - are they still doing the canned intros? Becuase if they are, there is plenty of time before the UNC game for the entire student section to learn the intonation and pace of it, and then to intro right along with the recording.

That is a GREAT idea. For all the criticism directed toward the Michael Buffer canned intros, I'm surprised this idea never came up. If all the crazies were doing these intros in unison with the recording, the effect would be great. Instead of it being somthing we complain about it would be something we make our own (of course it can't replace Art Chandler, but he is retiring anyway). This could be a great way to co-opt something folks dn't like nad turn it into somethng creative that becomes part of the CIS experience.

You sir, are a genius.

airowe
01-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Was the response to them - "But not your state"?

No, it went something like "You lost to State at home."

94duke
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
and the Harry Potter reference...
Did anyone see the Devil riding his trident like a broomstick?
That was hilarious. :D
I think he also changed his headband tape at halftime, but I don't remember what it said.

flyingdutchdevil
01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Can someone inform me about the Harry Potter reference? I didn't really get that...

94duke
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Can someone inform me about the Harry Potter reference? I didn't really get that...

The dude was wearing a maroon and gold wide-striped rugby shirt.

airowe
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
The dude was wearing a maroon and gold wide-striped rugby shirt.
And acting like a little kid. A drunk little kid. But a little kid nonetheless.

94duke
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
And acting like a little kid. A drunk little kid. But a little kid nonetheless.

Yeah, at one point he was making faces with his hands at the undergrads.
Definitely a little bit childish.

Dukeface88
01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I think he also changed his headband tape at halftime, but I don't remember what it said.

It went from "Hi Mom" to "Gryffindor Silenced".

I do think we need better cheers for Scheyer and Singler. We've got "Nolan's rollin", but we don't use it much.

Something I've wanted to hear is the "They can't read the pokerface" song as "they can't stop the Scheyer face", but I'm not sure how to do that or whether Jon is bothered by the Scheyer face stuff (I remember from an interview last year that G thought the Scheyer face was hilarious, but I don't know how Jon feels).

njkid15
01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I think the headband was actually changed to "Gryffindor Silencio!". In regards to the earlier comment about the drive home safely chant, it was unfortunately still done in the last minute or so but quickly stopped by one of the many 3's or timeouts being taken by FSU. I was just thinking about the intros last night too, especially because it's Art Chandler's (PA Announcer) last year here. It would be great to have the crowd do the intros, instead of just cheering and clapping.

I think there needs to be some sort of dissemination of things not to do despite there not being cheer sheets, maybe at the K-Ville kickoff this weekend or even just in line before the next home game. We do just fine making up cheers, but it's near impossible to stop things like the "you suck".